Aerial Acoustics Owners Thread - Page 48 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 132Likes

post #1411 of 2330 Old 08-12-2014, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys I am anxiously awaiting my new cc5 center channel. It will be my first aa speaker and hopefully I will build up a complete aa setup around it . I purchased it based on its great reviews everywhere, Iam sure I won't be disappointed . Many years back I remember reading a great review of a aa system that included the cc5 and thought to myself I would like to try it out. Well I finally came across a chance to get my first piece and jumped on it . I think I took so long to get my first aa piece to come through my revolving doors because there is usually almost no used pieces on the market locally and the ones you can find used elsewhere are not cheap. Anyways I am breaking down my martin logan setup and will be replacing it with aa setup little by little . The cc5 is replacing a martin logan stage which was a great center so hopefully the cc5 can best it. The area Iam in right now is small so Iam thinking some lr3's or smaller bookshelves for mains ,any recommendations or if you might be selling something let me know. I know the lr5's are the better match but for cost and size of room right now Iam thinking lr3's or smaller bookshelfs that later on when I move into bigger area I can use as rears. I know some might be saying if Iam worried about size why did I get the cc5. Well I never like to skimp on the center and I like to get the best one I can then build around it and I am planing on moving into a larger man cave area at some point. Anyways Iam excited and I will be back with my first impressions hopefully soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 2330 Old 08-12-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
last call, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1215 View Post
...I would like to offer for FREE my existing pair of Aerial Acoustics SR3 wall stands...which had been OEM'd by Sound Anchors (http://soundanchors.com/) and are no longer being manufactured. These are 7' tall floor standing/wall leaning, designed specifically for the SR3s and are available for local pickup only (or perhaps I would directly deliver them) in South Florida.
post #1413 of 2330 Old 08-16-2014, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have stumbled on an amazing deal on some demo 7T's, and I'm looking for placement advice/feedback from current owners. My room is smallish, 19x12, and aesthetically, they'd be 24-30 from the front wall, and 8-9' apart, leaving them about 18-24" from the side walls.
I've read all the reviews, and what I heard in the store backed everything up that I've read! Details in tracks I've heard for 25 years that were never heard before, imaging that blew me away....and a deal that makes them less than 6t's
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1414 of 2330 Old 08-16-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Good find. I liked them when i heard them as well....
post #1415 of 2330 Old 08-17-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 4962
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamioutlaw04 View Post
Hi guys I am anxiously awaiting my new cc5 center channel. It will be my first aa speaker and hopefully I will build up a complete aa setup around it . I purchased it based on its great reviews everywhere, Iam sure I won't be disappointed . Many years back I remember reading a great review of a aa system that included the cc5 and thought to myself I would like to try it out. Well I finally came across a chance to get my first piece and jumped on it . I think I took so long to get my first aa piece to come through my revolving doors because there is usually almost no used pieces on the market locally and the ones you can find used elsewhere are not cheap. Anyways I am breaking down my martin logan setup and will be replacing it with aa setup little by little . The cc5 is replacing a martin logan stage which was a great center so hopefully the cc5 can best it. The area Iam in right now is small so Iam thinking some lr3's or smaller bookshelves for mains ,any recommendations or if you might be selling something let me know. I know the lr5's are the better match but for cost and size of room right now Iam thinking lr3's or smaller bookshelfs that later on when I move into bigger area I can use as rears. I know some might be saying if Iam worried about size why did I get the cc5. Well I never like to skimp on the center and I like to get the best one I can then build around it and I am planing on moving into a larger man cave area at some point. Anyways Iam excited and I will be back with my first impressions hopefully soon.
The CC-5 is one of the best centers around. Almost like having a full range speaker in the middle. It is a whale. Weighs almost 100lbs and it needs plenty of power. It will also need a substantial stand. Too bad you weren't located in NH. A local A/V store recently sold a pair of LR5's w/matching stands for $2000. They were in perfect shape. But the LR3's are no wimps and should match w/the CC-5 as they have the same sound signature. Just remember they like plenty of power to get the most out of them.
post #1416 of 2330 Old 08-17-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
The CC-5 is one of the best centers around. Almost like having a full range speaker in the middle. It is a whale. Weighs almost 100lbs and it needs plenty of power. It will also need a substantial stand. Too bad you weren't located in NH. A local A/V store recently sold a pair of LR5's w/matching stands for $2000. They were in perfect shape. But the LR3's are no wimps and should match w/the CC-5 as they have the same sound signature. Just remember they like plenty of power to get the most out of them.
I hope I find a deal like that again on some lr5's . I have not even seen a pair of lr3's for sale so I am not sure about them? There are some 10t's around so I am considering a pair of those but they look a little large for my area? How would just a pair of model 5's with a good sub hold up with the cc5 up front?
I have heard the cc5 is great so I can't wait and like I said I just had a great ML stage center and I owned a b&w htm1 for a while that was awesome so let's see how they compare.
For now I have a sunfire cinema grand 200 watt amp but I am selling it so I will get something else later on. I am considering keeping it , do you think it's good enough to power any of the mains I am considering ?
post #1417 of 2330 Old 08-17-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by english210 View Post
I have stumbled on an amazing deal on some demo 7T's, and I'm looking for placement advice/feedback from current owners. My room is smallish, 19x12, and aesthetically, they'd be 24-30 from the front wall, and 8-9' apart, leaving them about 18-24" from the side walls.
I've read all the reviews, and what I heard in the store backed everything up that I've read! Details in tracks I've heard for 25 years that were never heard before, imaging that blew me away....and a deal that makes them less than 6t's
Thanks in advance!
Your placement plans should be fine. I had to place one of mine within 8" of a side wall but the absorption panels I installed really helped. I love my 7t's and never plan on replacing them.

Last edited by g_bartman; 08-17-2014 at 03:02 PM.
post #1418 of 2330 Old 08-17-2014, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post
Your placement plans should be fine. I had to place one of mine within 8" of a side wall but the absorption panels I installed really helped. I love my 7t's and never plan on replacing them.
Ditto!

I honestly have a smaller room than you and zero room to move my 7T's around. I'm going with acoustic treatments to help compensate as much as possible for placement. I still think they sound amazing though, and I don't notice a dramatic difference from home and from the dealer's showroom (where there is PLENTY of room and they are dialed in).
post #1419 of 2330 Old 08-17-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
I hope I find a deal like that again on some lr5's . I have not even seen a pair of lr3's for sale so I am not sure about them? There are some 10t's around so I am considering a pair of those but they look a little large for my area? How would just a pair of model 5's with a good sub hold up with the cc5 up front?
I have heard the cc5 is great so I can't wait and like I said I just had a great ML stage center and I owned a b&w htm1 for a while that was awesome so let's see how they compare.
For now I have a sunfire cinema grand 200 watt amp but I am selling it so I will get something else later on. I am considering keeping it , do you think it's good enough to power any of the mains I am considering ?
Uless you have a large room I would stay away from the 10T's. But I would check out the 6's on audiogon. That's what I have. They are 5's w/a bottom end and being they are front ported easy to place. Also they don't need a ton of power to run. If you do run into a pair of LR5's you can move the 6's to the rears.
post #1420 of 2330 Old 08-17-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Uless you have a large room I would stay away from the 10T's. But I would check out the 6's on audiogon. That's what I have. They are 5's w/a bottom end and being they are front ported easy to place. Also they don't need a ton of power to run. If you do run into a pair of LR5's you can move the 6's to the rears.
Yeah I saw those . You said they are 5's with a bottom so your saying they sound the same or similar to lr 5's ?

My room for now is small about 12x15
post #1421 of 2330 Old 08-18-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yeah I saw those . You said they are 5's with a bottom so your saying they sound the same or similar to lr 5's ?

My room for now is small about 12x15
The 6's were designed for a small room. They are front ported which allows you to place them close to the wall. My setup is a CC-3, Model 6 fronts w/Model 5 rears. The combo gives me a seamless soundstage. Considering the size of your room the 6's would be a good choice. Down the road you can flip the 6's and use them as rears w/LR5's as fronts. I would also look for used 7B's when you get a bigger room. They come up more often than the LR5's.
post #1422 of 2330 Old 08-18-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Do you think the model 6 would have any trouble in an acoustically perfect room that is 15 x 28? I'm asking because I have them in a room now that is only 14 x 20 but it is sonically pretty dead. The 6's are smoother than the def techs and sound more natural but I go back and forth between which I like better, with the 6's winning for stereo and the def tech system winning out for 5.1 surround formats. The smaller room has superior electronics but it is a general consensus that the physical room is the most important audio component followed by the speakers and then source components.

The bigger room will probably liven up the 6's quite a bit as long as they can handle that large of a room. I think I will move them out to the bigger room and give them a listen when my wife takes her business trip in a couple weeks.
post #1423 of 2330 Old 08-18-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
The 6's were designed for a small room. They are front ported which allows you to place them close to the wall. My setup is a CC-3, Model 6 fronts w/Model 5 rears. The combo gives me a seamless soundstage. Considering the size of your room the 6's would be a good choice. Down the road you can flip the 6's and use them as rears w/LR5's as fronts. I would also look for used 7B's when you get a bigger room. They come up more often than the LR5's.
Do you think the model 6 and cc5 will work well together?

Also I see there is now a 6t if Iam correct ? How does it compare to the original 6 performance and price wise?

What's a good price on a model 6 considering it seems they've been around a while?
post #1424 of 2330 Old 08-18-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post
Do you think the model 6 would have any trouble in an acoustically perfect room that is 15 x 28? I'm asking because I have them in a room now that is only 14 x 20 but it is sonically pretty dead. The 6's are smoother than the def techs and sound more natural but I go back and forth between which I like better, with the 6's winning for stereo and the def tech system winning out for 5.1 surround formats. The smaller room has superior electronics but it is a general consensus that the physical room is the most important audio component followed by the speakers and then source components.

The bigger room will probably liven up the 6's quite a bit as long as they can handle that large of a room. I think I will move them out to the bigger room and give them a listen when my wife takes her business trip in a couple weeks.
I have my 6's about 2.5 ft from the back wall and 4ft from the sidewalls. I don't know what power your using but I use a pair of modified Threshold T-50's that run as 100wpc pure Class A amps. Lots of heat but the high current amps makes them sing. Also try removing the grills that will open them up on the top.
post #1425 of 2330 Old 08-18-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am currently feeding the 6s with a Yamaha Z9 that puts out 340wpc at 4ohms and it does fine. I would probably try a mackie 2600 which should more than doyble that output. I would be able to place the 6s well away from the walls in the bigger room
post #1426 of 2330 Old 08-18-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Smile

Quote:
Do you think the model 6 and cc5 will work well together?

Also I see there is now a 6t if Iam correct ? How does it compare to the original 6 performance and price wise?

What's a good price on a model 6 considering it seems they've been around a while?
6T's run about a bit above $6000 new. The new soft dome tweeter has excellent detail w/out sounding hard. A very balanced sound from top to bottom. Some time near the end of the summer Michael Kelly is coming out w/a new center that will match up w/the new 6T & 7T series. But as in true Aerial tradition not much info on exact date and price. The 6 and the CC-5 center will match. But considering the size of you room a CC-3B would be a better match. The 3 is a pretty substantial center in its own right. It is the best center I've ever owned. The old 6's should run around $1500 depending on age and condition. By the way there is an Aerial sub on Audiogon for around $1200. Michael Kelly originally matched the Model 6 w/the Aerial sub. Something to consider.
post #1427 of 2330 Old 08-18-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 205
It seems as though Mr. Kelly is not concerned
with advertising or marketing. He lets his products speak for themselves. The lack of updates re new models can be a bit frustrating but his design fanaticism more than makes up for it.
post #1428 of 2330 Old 08-18-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post
It seems as though Mr. Kelly is not concerned
with advertising or marketing. He lets his products speak for themselves. The lack of updates re new models can be a bit frustrating but his design fanaticism more than makes up for it.
Totally agree. It's a small company only 4 fulltime employees. Lots to do w/the new center plus a new 5T and the 9T down the road.
post #1429 of 2330 Old 08-19-2014, 11:22 AM

Hey guys what are the sw-12's going for used ?
post #1430 of 2330 Old 08-19-2014, 07:55 PM

No one ? Any guess ? I can't find completed listings online this is why Ia m asking.
post #1431 of 2330 Old 08-19-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

$1200 plus shipping
post #1432 of 2330 Old 08-19-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post
$1200 plus shipping
ok thanks . I guess the next question would be , is there better subs out there for that price?

I know sound is relative but is there anything out there in that price range that a majority would opt for ?
post #1433 of 2330 Old 08-19-2014, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

JL Audio and SVS make excellent Subs. But that Aerial sub if in good working order for $1200 is a nice deal. New they run about $4000.
post #1434 of 2330 Old 08-19-2014, 10:56 PM

K thx , I would like to keep the new system I am putting together all aerial but if for around 1200$ I could get something clearly better then I would.

I got my cc5 today man it's big !
I had once a klipsch rc64 center that was big to but this is much higher. I guess because it houses like 8" woofers I haven't had a chance to do any critical listening but so far so good from what I have heard.
post #1435 of 2330 Old 08-20-2014, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
JL Audio and SVS make excellent Subs. But that Aerial sub if in good working order for $1200 is a nice deal. New they run about $4000.
I have extensive experience with both Aerial and JL Audio subwoofers and prefer Aerial. The SW12 is ported and provides more detail and texture I think in the lower frequencies and have a richer/fuller and less compressed sound, and also goes lower, but not huge differences. JL Audio subs are also excellent, especially the f112 is very good in its price range. SVS is not at all in the same league as any of these.
post #1436 of 2330 Old 08-20-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand07 View Post
I have extensive experience with both Aerial and JL Audio subwoofers and prefer Aerial. The SW12 is ported and provides more detail and texture I think in the lower frequencies and have a richer/fuller and less compressed sound, and also goes lower, but not huge differences. JL Audio subs are also excellent, especially the f112 is very good in its price range. SVS is not at all in the same league as any of these.
K thanks. I had a svs and hsu once they were not the too of the line ones. I found them to be good for movies.
post #1437 of 2330 Old 08-20-2014, 09:23 AM

Guys have you ever heard of the aa sw2 subwoofer and what is the difference between the sw12 I can not find any info.
post #1438 of 2330 Old 08-20-2014, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Quote:
Guys have you ever heard of the aa sw2 subwoofer and what is the difference between the sw12 I can not find any info.
There are none Aerial subwoofer called sw2, only SW12 and the S1SW (made for their System 1 theater wall)
post #1439 of 2330 Old 08-20-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand07 View Post
There are none Aerial subwoofer called sw2, only SW12 and the S1SW (made for their System 1 theater wall)
Thanks for the info
post #1440 of 2330 Old 08-20-2014, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post
Good find. I liked them when i heard them as well....
Well, trigger pulled, bullseye hit!! I really couldn't afford them now, but the deal was too good....less than 6t's...so I had to!

Now to play with setup and dial them in. I assume it's ok to do all the moving around and testing with no feet, then spike them when I get it right? I have to find two spots. One back 'out of the way' for daily use and WAF, and then the 'serious' spot for when it's just me. I have already noticed the placement flexibility you guys and others had mentioned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy Cc 5 Center Channel Speaker Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page