Aerial Acoustics Owners Thread - Page 75 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 127Likes

post #2221 of 2311 Old 03-01-2019, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
20 years is quite a run. Really a testament on how good Aerial products are. As far as Atmos speakers are concerned when Michael Kelly was at my dealers store they used Paradigm speakers w/his on wall speakers and the sound was seamless. I just was declared cancer free recently and I bought myself a present a Luxman PD-171 A TT. Sounds fantastic w/my 5T's.
Sorry to hear you were battling cancer. You never know what goes on in a persons life beyond what we read here on the forums. Congratulations and thank God for you being cancer free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2222 of 2311 Old 03-01-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
Hate to see you leave our Aerial family. At least you’re keeping them in mothballs! You’ve always been a member to respect and look to for practical advice.
Thanks for the kind thoughts. When I bought the Aerials in 2001, I had not realized I was already a Michael Kelly disciple. Way back in 1981 I equipped my new car with a set of ADS 300i door mounted speakers -- clean clear sound. Yep, Mr. Kelly designed them.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win7 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #2223 of 2311 Old 03-01-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Thanks for the kind thoughts. When I bought the Aerials in 2001, I had not realized I was already a Michael Kelly disciple. Way back in 1981 I equipped my new car with a set of ADS 300i door mounted speakers -- clean clear sound. Yep, Mr. Kelly designed them.
Funny you mentioned the 300i speakers. I had those exact same speakers in my front doors with the separate tweeter mounted on the door pillar. I bought mine a few years later (1986) I think. Those were the speakers to have in those days. I had them mated to an alpine in-dash cassette tuner.

Ok- back to our usual programming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2224 of 2311 Old 03-01-2019, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Funny you mentioned the 300i speakers. I had those exact same speakers in my front doors with the separate tweeter mounted on the door pillar. I bought mine a few years later (1986) I think. Those were the speakers to have in those days. I had them mated to an alpine in-dash cassette tuner.

Ok- back to our usual programming.
So I will be the third so say I to came from the 300i ADS speakers to used 10Ts then 7Bs and have had 9s since they came out. I use in wall Triad Gold mini-monitors for my surrounds.
post #2225 of 2311 Old 03-01-2019, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 4309
Thumbs up

Quote:
Sorry to hear you were battling cancer. You never know what goes on in a persons life beyond what we read here on the forums. Congratulations and thank God for you being cancer free!
We all eventually hit a crossroad in our lives. I went in w/a positive attitude and everything came out in the end. It was a struggle w/two operations taking 7 hours. During my rehab I listened to a lot of music and watched a ton of movies. When I found I was cancer free I decided to get myself a present two days before my birthday I went to my dealer on Sunday Feb. 10 and bought the TT I always wanted. A great reminder that will give me years of musical enjoyment.
g_bartman likes this.
post #2226 of 2311 Old 03-01-2019, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
We all eventually hit a crossroad in our lives. I went in w/a positive attitude and everything came out in the end. It was a struggle w/two operations taking 7 hours. During my rehab I listened to a lot of music and watched a ton of movies. When I found I was cancer free I decided to get myself a present two days before my birthday I went to my dealer on Sunday Feb. 10 and bought the TT I always wanted. A great reminder that will give me years of musical enjoyment.

C-A, welcome to the survivor club! A cancer free pronouncement offers a great relief, yes?! You are so very right...a positive attitude is first, middle, and last when fighting the damn disease. I hated the stuff and wanted it out of my body in the worst way. So we slashed and burned it (surgery/radiation for head and neck cancer). That, my wife, and music got me through the battle.

New perspectives are sometimes hard won, and I sure appreciate mine. I'd venture a sure-thing guess that you do too. A cancer diagnosis is a terrible disease. But at the other end is a wonderfully positive enjoyment of what life offers. And too, an undefinable sense of freedom.
Class A likes this.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #2227 of 2311 Old 03-02-2019, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
C-A, welcome to the survivor club! A cancer free pronouncement offers a great relief, yes?! You are so very right...a positive attitude is first, middle, and last when fighting the damn disease. I hated the stuff and wanted it out of my body in the worst way. So we slashed and burned it (surgery/radiation for head and neck cancer). That, my wife, and music got me through the battle.

New perspectives are sometimes hard won, and I sure appreciate mine. I'd venture a sure-thing guess that you do too. A cancer diagnosis is a terrible disease. But at the other end is a wonderfully positive enjoyment of what life offers. And too, an undefinable sense of freedom.
Well said my friend.
post #2228 of 2311 Old 03-02-2019, 06:29 AM
WLC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 132
19 years and counting

Just ran across this thread. Thought I would add my experience with this marvelous brand. And, as with anyone else who has spoken with Michael Kelly, state my appreciation for his generous support over the years.
19 years ago, I bought 10t's, CC5, SR3's, and added a pair of LR3 for rears 5 years later. Running everything with Bryston amps with 250-300 watts. Also had 2 SW12's, which only replaced recently with another brand because the driver in one failed. 3 years ago, replaced Lexicon MC12 with Anthem AVM60 because of new codecs and wanting HDMI passthrough.
My wife and I are as happy with Aerial today as we were 19 yrs ago.
P.S. It took years of searching before discovering Aerials, largely because of dearth of audiophile choices in Cleveland.
In addition, have 2 T10's in a stereo setup with Bryston 14BSST, also purchased 19 yrs. ago. Although I did recently add 2 subwoofers to this system, I have no thought of replacing these wonderful speakers.
I am certain that there are many other happy Aerial owners out there who, like me, feel no need to upgrade.
P.P.S. My purchase of these Aerials, which were a significant upgrade from what I owned previously, were a response to a close friend having cancer. Happily, after a long struggle, he recovered. However, this episode caused me and my wife to upgrade because what was the point, at our age, of waiting?
post #2229 of 2311 Old 03-02-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLC View Post
Just ran across this thread. Thought I would add my experience with this marvelous brand. And, as with anyone else who has spoken with Michael Kelly, state my appreciation for his generous support over the years.
19 years ago, I bought 10t's, CC5, SR3's, and added a pair of LR3 for rears 5 years later. Running everything with Bryston amps with 250-300 watts. Also had 2 SW12's, which only replaced recently with another brand because the driver in one failed. 3 years ago, replaced Lexicon MC12 with Anthem AVM60 because of new codecs and wanting HDMI passthrough.
My wife and I are as happy with Aerial today as we were 19 yrs ago.
P.S. It took years of searching before discovering Aerials, largely because of dearth of audiophile choices in Cleveland.
In addition, have 2 T10's in a stereo setup with Bryston 14BSST, also purchased 19 yrs. ago. Although I did recently add 2 subwoofers to this system, I have no thought of replacing these wonderful speakers.
I am certain that there are many other happy Aerial owners out there who, like me, feel no need to upgrade.
P.P.S. My purchase of these Aerials, which were a significant upgrade from what I owned previously, were a response to a close friend having cancer. Happily, after a long struggle, he recovered. However, this episode caused me and my wife to upgrade because what was the point, at our age, of waiting?
Hey, I'm in North Ridgeville. I was starting to think I was the only person in Oho with AA's. Do you still have the AA's listed above (other than the subs)?

post #2230 of 2311 Old 03-02-2019, 10:48 AM
WLC

You betcha

I also thought I'm the only one in Ohio. Yes, still happily enjoying all of them. As you know, there hasn't been an AA dealership in Cleveland for many years. Hope you are still enjoying yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post
Hey, I'm in North Ridgeville. I was starting to think I was the only person in Oho with AA's. Do you still have the AA's listed above (other than the subs)?
post #2231 of 2311 Old 03-03-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
I also thought I'm the only one in Ohio. Yes, still happily enjoying all of them. As you know, there hasn't been an AA dealership in Cleveland for many years. Hope you are still enjoying yours.
Only 2 owners in Ohio!! Reminds me of the old Maytag commercial about the loneliest guy in town. Well your the lucky one's w/fantastic systems. I remember hearing the 10T's for the first time. They were at my dealers big room hooked up to a Mark Levinson preamp and a pair of Levinson Mono's w/a Wadia CD player. Music was Shirley Horn w/strings. It was draw dropping. Still in my mind after all these years. Promised myself that one day I'd own Aerial speakers. Eventually bought 6's, 5's for the rear and the CC-3 for the center. Sold the 6's last year and added the 5T's. I also have a Bryston 2.5 SST-2 amp. Bryston and Aerial make an excellent combo. By the way welcome to the club. We are few but content.
post #2232 of 2311 Old 03-03-2019, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know of two Aerial owners in Indiana; Me and @edfowler .

Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC. ATI 6005, AT527NC, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), SR3's sides, LR3's (rears), Seaton Submersive HP, Marantz VP15s1, 123" diag 16:9 Stewart Cima Neve screen, Oppo BDP-103, Palliser Flicks Theater Seating AC Power: Eaton whole-house surge protector at main panel, three dedicated 20 amp circuits, Surgex XR315 surge protector at equipment rack, Cyberpower 1400VA/900 watt, true sine wave UPS.
post #2233 of 2311 Old 03-03-2019, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Yeah, I was fortunate enough to add a pair of Model 5s as surrounds this last year. I feel pretty blessed to have the AAs in my main theater. I'd love to hear JD's set up some day.
Class A likes this.

Chad B calibrated JVC RS600, 112" 2.35 DaLite 2.8 High Power Screen (395 calibrated nits baby!!), 7.5.4 Marantz AV7702, Aerial Acoustics Model 6, Model 5, CC3, Def Tech UIWBP/A, 4-15" Infinite Baffle Sub + 15" Velodyne Sub Near-field, OPPO 203, Geek Pulse DAC, NVidia Shield
post #2234 of 2311 Old 03-04-2019, 09:13 AM
WLC

The past 19 years with AA

As I've thought about the last 19 yrs in audio terms, I realized that once freed of a local dealer, I was forced to purchase making decisions completely on my own. Of course, I have used the forums extensively as I've made these decisions. Ultimately, this independence has led to a much wider selection of brands. Consequently, with both the stereo and surround sound systems, I've upgraded every aspect except the speakers. Each upgrade has led to a greater appreciation of these speakers. For example, with the stereo, I went from a Proceed pre-amp and D/A converter to a Cary SLP-05 pre-amp and ultimately, a Bryston D/A converter. I also went from a 250 watt Bryston to 600 watts. Last year, I added two sealed subs and a mini-dsp ddrc-22d into the chain between the sonos and the Bryston D/A which allowed me to use Dirac to integrate the subs and speakers. As I stated earlier, each of these changes showed how fabulous the 10t's are.
Class A likes this.
post #2235 of 2311 Old 03-04-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

WLC, could you describe the difference you perceived when you upped your amplifier wattage? I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a bigger amp, but, i wonder if I will hear any difference as long as I’m not clipping or demanding more power than I really need. I realize I would gain headroom, but, not sure I would gain a lot for the additional investment.
post #2236 of 2311 Old 03-04-2019, 04:00 PM
WLC

Quote:
WLC, could you describe the difference you perceived when you upped your amplifier wattage? I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a bigger amp, but, i wonder if I will hear any difference as long as I’m not clipping or demanding more power than I really need. I realize I would gain headroom, but, not sure I would gain a lot for the additional investment.
I have 10ts on 600 watts. In Home Theater, I have 10ts and CC5 on 300. SR3s and LR3s on 250. In each and every case, which was an increase from previous levels, the notes sounded fuller (more rounded). That's probably not an audiophile description, but it's how they sounded. Aerials love power. Even Michael Kelly had doubts when I told him plans to up the SR3s to 250 watts. However, the result was as the others: fuller, richer.
As you've read from my previous post, I'm willing to upgrade when I perceive a significant improvement to be had. Everything I've done has made the Aerials sound better, but never have I felt the need to upgrade any of them. I seriously doubt that I ever will.
Good luck with your decision.

Forgot to mention only play stereo at moderate level and home theater moderately high. Never approach maximum with either
jdlynch likes this.

Last edited by WLC; 03-05-2019 at 04:32 AM.
post #2237 of 2311 Old 03-08-2019, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Before I pulled the trigger on a pair of Musical Fidelity M8-700's, I emailed Michael to make sure it was safe to connect the 7T's to a 700w amp. He said it would be fine and so long as I didn't go insane with the volume and said he thought the MF's were a very good match. It was at that point I decided to order them, I'm glad I did.

post #2238 of 2311 Old 03-11-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have 10ts on 600 watts. In Home Theater, I have 10ts and CC5 on 300. SR3s and LR3s on 250. In each and every case, which was an increase from previous levels, the notes sounded fuller (more rounded). That's probably not an audiophile description, but it's how they sounded. Aerials love power. Even Michael Kelly had doubts when I told him plans to up the SR3s to 250 watts. However, the result was as the others: fuller, richer.
As you've read from my previous post, I'm willing to upgrade when I perceive a significant improvement to be had. Everything I've done has made the Aerials sound better, but never have I felt the need to upgrade any of them. I seriously doubt that I ever will.
Good luck with your decision.

Forgot to mention only play stereo at moderate level and home theater moderately high. Never approach maximum with either
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

How much sonic improvement did you realize when you upgraded your rear surrounds to the LR3’s?

Like you, I currently have LR3’s for my rear surround; my wife is wanting me to put some in-wall speakers in the back of the room so the speakers are not sitting there on stands. I’m wondering how much performance I will give up going to a different brand for my rear surround speakers.

Trying to decide if I should give in to my wife or not. She’s pretty accepting of most things I want to do, so I try to compromise when it makes sense.
post #2239 of 2311 Old 03-11-2019, 10:48 AM
WLC

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

How much sonic improvement did you realize when you upgraded your rear surrounds to the LR3’s?

Like you, I currently have LR3’s for my rear surround; my wife is wanting me to put some in-wall speakers in the back of the room so the speakers are not sitting there on stands. I’m wondering how much performance I will give up going to a different brand for my rear surround speakers.

Trying to decide if I should give in to my wife or not. She’s pretty accepting of most things I want to do, so I try to compromise when it makes sense.
I also have an agreeable, accommodating wife. However, I would not choose this area in which to compromise, if at all possible. I can't answer your question about what I gained by going to the LR3s because they have been the only rear speakers I've had. After calibrating with ARC, I raise my surrounds and back by 4 dbs. This change results in the sound floating in the air, rarely being directional. Perhaps superstitiously, I believe that having all AA is an important component of this effect. The sound is so good that I feel no need to add ceiling speakers. The sound we already enjoy includes plenty of overhead effects.
P.S. I fully agree if your judgment is that it is more important to have a happy wife than ideal surround effects.
post #2240 of 2311 Old 03-11-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I also have an agreeable, accommodating wife. However, I would not choose this area in which to compromise, if at all possible. I can't answer your question about what I gained by going to the LR3s because they have been the only rear speakers I've had. After calibrating with ARC, I raise my surrounds and back by 4 dbs. This change results in the sound floating in the air, rarely being directional. Perhaps superstitiously, I believe that having all AA is an important component of this effect. The sound is so good that I feel no need to add ceiling speakers. The sound we already enjoy includes plenty of overhead effects.
P.S. I fully agree if your judgment is that it is more important to have a happy wife than ideal surround effects.
Thanks again for sharing your findings. I like how you put your experiences into words.

How high off the floor are your LR3’s ? Mine are on the Aerial/sound anchor stands.
post #2241 of 2311 Old 03-11-2019, 11:22 AM
WLC

Quote:
Thanks again for sharing your findings. I like how you put your experiences into words.

How high off the floor are your LR3’s ? Mine are on the Aerial/sound anchor stands.
Mine are on the same stands.

Thanks for the compliment.
post #2242 of 2311 Old 03-11-2019, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Model 9 vs. 6T/7T

Could anyone that has experience with the older Aerials featuring the 1" titanium dome tweeter (bonus points if Model 9) and the current models featuring the Scanspeak ring radiator soft dome compare the two? Aerial is still at the top of the demo list I've been working down. I found that I really did not enjoy the two floorstanders I demoed that had beryllium tweeters (Focal Kanta No. 2 and Paradigm Persona 3F) and other metal tweeters (KEF - aluminum).

I loved the 6T and my next favorite was the Spendor D7 which also has a soft dome. Worried that the older Aerial speakers might have some of that fatiguing, metallic coloration due to the use of a titanium tweeter.
post #2243 of 2311 Old 03-12-2019, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoNtO View Post
Could anyone that has experience with the older Aerials featuring the 1" titanium dome tweeter (bonus points if Model 9) and the current models featuring the Scanspeak ring radiator soft dome compare the two? Aerial is still at the top of the demo list I've been working down. I found that I really did not enjoy the two floorstanders I demoed that had beryllium tweeters (Focal Kanta No. 2 and Paradigm Persona 3F) and other metal tweeters (KEF - aluminum).

I loved the 6T and my next favorite was the Spendor D7 which also has a soft dome. Worried that the older Aerial speakers might have some of that fatiguing, metallic coloration due to the use of a titanium tweeter.
Having owned the older 6 and still having the 5's for rears and the CC-3 center all of those speakers have the metal dome tweeter and there's no bright imaging. One of Aerials biggest strength's from the 10T to now is the even coherent sound you get from top to bottom on the music scale. Many Aerial owners will tell you they can listen for hours w/out any fatigue. An excellent example is the older centers. The CC-3 and much larger cc-5 (with metal dome tweeters) reproduces dialogue in a very natural manner. In spite of their age they are some of the best centers on the market today. The 5T's I now have w/the soft dome give me better detail at the top but similar to the old metal dome no harshness.
jdlynch and ZoNtO like this.
post #2244 of 2311 Old 03-20-2019, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Quote:
Michael Kelly is near completion for his top end 25T. From what I've heard he is checking out a prototype. Speaker is about 3 years in the making. Price will be somewhere in the $40,000 range.
I just talked with Michael Kelly yesterday. I've known Michael since 1997, when I first purchased four Aerial 10Ts and a CC3 center for my brand new built home addition dedicated home theatre! He is now calling his new speaker the 30T, and is hoping it will be available within the next year!!!

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #2245 of 2311 Old 03-20-2019, 01:08 PM

I've been an Aerial Acoustics owner since 1997:

1997: Four Aerial 10Ts and CC3 center speaker.

2000-2001: Replaced CC3 with new CC5 center speaker. Added three Aerial SW12 subwoofers.

2008: Replaced four Aerial 10Ts with four Aerial 9s.

2014: Replaced four Aerial 9s and CC5 with five Aerial 7ts (I have 12' high ceiling in my theatre, moved my new 2.40 168" wide screen just over the height of the 7ts!) (Sorry, luv Aerial, but replaced the three SW12 subwoofers with two JL Audio Fathom f212 subwoofers!)

NOW: Back in 1997 when I built my theatre, Dolby Digital and DVDs were just coming in! 5.1 was KING! And I replaced my then Citation 7.0 analog SSP (with Theta Digital Generation VA stereo DAC) with the new Theta Digital Casablanca SSP! With floorstanding speakers, I have held off changing this and moving to a 7.1 system with side and rear surrounds because for some years few blu rays had more than 5.1 soundtracks. But in the past few years with Dolby Atmos, DTS-X and even Auro-3D, this has changed, as the base layer for these "effects" soundtracks is now 7.1. I just sold and replaced my beloved Theta Digital Casablanca IV-A SSP (with 2 Extreme D-3 DAC cards, 12 channels total, of which I've been using the past 1.5 years 5.4.1 channels - chaining my two subwoofers for the .1 channel, and four in ceiling KEF Ci200RR-THX speakers.

I replaced my Theta Digital CBIV-A SSP with a Trinnov Altitude 32 with 16 channels. I am seriously thinking of selling my surround pair of Aerial 7ts and buying two pairs of Aerial 7LCRs for side and rear surrounds. What's great about the 7LCRs is they can be mounted horizontally, then they are 38" wide, above my component racks on the left side, above my blu ray/DVD/CD racks on the right side, at about 8' high (12' ceilings), and tilted/angled at listener a bit, and per Michael Kelly this will work and sound great!!! And if I decide to move from this big house in my retirement I can then take all the Aerial speakers with [email protected]@@

With a 7.1 base, and a Trinnov SSP that has plenty of channels so I can run the subs separate instead of chaining them, I will have a 7.4.2 system using 13 channels. This gives me three more channels to use with my Trinnov for more speakers for Auro-3D etc which I assume would be front wide speakers and the
"Voice of God" top speaker unique for Auro-3D! The question is whether to just get 3 more of the KEF in ceiling speakers, or as I am already prewired for the four existing KEF in ceiling speakers, simply get 7 new speakers for these effects speakers, and which speakers to get.

I have discussed this with Michael Kelly of Aerial. I was interested in the 5ts for this, but Michael is so honest and forthright and stated outright that the 5ts need to be at least about 2 feet out from the wall so they could breathe.

A friend suggested that I keep my surround pair of Aerial 7ts and simply use them as front wide speakers. I have plenty of room up front to do this and under my screen. But this seems like overkill and overexpense to me as I will use the sale of this pair of 7ts to help finance purchasing the 7LCRs! Now at a bit more reasonable price I guess I could perhaps do a pair of Aerial 5ts for front wide speakers!! (Scary thought!)

Ideas and thoughts, anyone?

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 03-20-2019 at 01:13 PM.
post #2246 of 2311 Old 03-20-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

2000-2001: Replaced CC3 with new CC5 center speaker. Added three Aerial SW12 subwoofers.

2014: Replaced four Aerial 9s and CC5 with five Aerial 7ts (I have 12' high ceiling in my theatre, moved my new 2.40 168" wide screen just over the height of the 7ts!) (Sorry, luv Aerial, but replaced the three SW12 subwoofers with two JL Audio Fathom f212 subwoofers!)

NOW: Back in 1997 when I built my theatre, Dolby Digital and DVDs were just coming in! 5.1 was KING! And I replaced my then Citation 7.0 analog SSP (with Theta Digital Generation VA stereo DAC) with the new Theta Digital Casablanca SSP! With floorstanding speakers, I have held off changing this and moving to a 7.1 system with side and rear surrounds because for some years few blu rays had more than 5.1 soundtracks. But in the past few years with Dolby Atmos, DTS-X and even Auro-3D, this has changed, as the base layer for these "effects" soundtracks is now 7.1. I just sold and replaced my beloved Theta Digital Casablanca IV-A SSP (with 2 Extreme D-3 DAC cards, 12 channels total, of which I've been using the past 1.5 years 5.4.1 channels - chaining my two subwoofers for the .1 channel, and four in ceiling KEF Ci200RR-THX speakers.

I replaced my Theta Digital CBIV-A SSP with a Trinnov Altitude 32 with 16 channels. I am seriously thinking of selling my surround pair of Aerial 7ts and buying two pairs of Aerial 7LCRs for side and rear surrounds. What's great about the 7LCRs is they can be mounted horizontally, then they are 38" wide, above my component racks on the left side, above my blu ray/DVD/CD racks on the right side, at about 8' high (12' ceilings), and tilted/angled at listener a bit, and per Michael Kelly this will work and sound great!!! And if I decide to move from this big house in my retirement I can then take all the Aerial speakers with [email protected]@@

With a 7.1 base, and a Trinnov SSP that has plenty of channels so I can run the subs separate instead of chaining them, I will have a 7.4.2 system using 13 channels. This gives me three more channels to use with my Trinnov for more speakers for Auro-3D etc which I assume would be front wide speakers and the
"Voice of God" top speaker unique for Auro-3D! The question is whether to just get 3 more of the KEF in ceiling speakers, or as I am already prewired for the four existing KEF in ceiling speakers, simply get 7 new speakers for these effects speakers, and which speakers to get.

I have discussed this with Michael Kelly of Aerial. I was interested in the 5ts for this, but Michael is so honest and forthright and stated outright that the 5ts need to be at least about 2 feet out from the wall so they could breathe.

A friend suggested that I keep my surround pair of Aerial 7ts and simply use them as front wide speakers. I have plenty of room up front to do this and under my screen. But this seems like overkill and overexpense to me as I will use the sale of this pair of 7ts to help finance purchasing the 7LCRs! Now at a bit more reasonable price I guess I could perhaps do a pair of Aerial 5ts for front wide speakers!! (Scary thought!)

I'll post my thoughts as soon as I clean up this drool on my lap.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #2247 of 2311 Old 03-20-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:

Actually, in re-reviewing the Trinnov Altitude 32 manual, they recommend the following setup for 16 channels:

7.1 base system (which I have once I obtain the two pairs of Aerial 7 LCRs, which will be a three Aerial 7ts up front, Aerial 7LCRs on wall for side and rear surrounds, and the .1 is two JL Audio f212 subwoofers)

4 height speakers (left and right top front, left and right top rear)(which I already have installed, four KEF Ci200RR-THX in ceiling speakers, though I am open to replacing them if anyone has better not too expensive ideas)

2 additional surround speakers (left right and right wide, in front at ear level) (I am considering Aerial 5Ts on stands for this)

1 additional center height speaker for the center top front channel (Auro-3D & DTS-X) (another KEF Ci200RR-THX?)

1 additional ceiling speaker for the top channel (Auro-3D & DTS-X) (another KEF Ci200RR-THX?)

post #2248 of 2311 Old 03-20-2019, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I thought I would jump into this thread. I have been inactive on the forum for several years, didn't want to get into upgrading my room since I am retired now. I have been an Aerial Acoustics fan for well over 20 years. My journey was very similar to Steve Bruzonsky's. I started with many different speakers and electronic setups, including Martin Logan and others in my combo room at my old house. I ended up with Aerial 10T's, CC3 center, Velodyne 15inch sub and SW3 for surrounds in a 5.1 setup, this was about 1998, in my old house. I don't even remember what processor I was was using but I was powering them with some Bryston amps. I built my current house in 2000 and moved into it in 2001. I built a dedicated room in the new house and upgraded my system to 7.1 with the addition of Aerial Model 6's for rear surround, upgraded the CC3 to the CC5 and added 2 SW12 subs. I upgraded all the power to Classé and the processor to the Theta Casablanca, to go with the rest of my Theta gear. The original projector was a JVC D-ILA 4x3 with an anamorphic lens, for 16x9 screen, mounted in a huge hush box, man that thing was loud. My screen is a Stewart Ultimate 4 way, back then most playback was still 4x3. Over the years I have changed many things, sold all the Theta, added Integra processor, OPPO blu ray player and got one of the 1080P JVC projectors but I have always kept the Classé amplifiers and my beloved Aerial speakers.

I was a pilot, when I was working and was able to get all over the country and audition many different brands of speakers, as well as the ones from my local dealer. I never listened to anything under $20,000 that I liked better than my 10T's. Aerial's new speakers are somewhat better but now that I am retired, I can't afford to plunge into anything that costly. I am currently making some modest upgrades to my room, to try and bring it into the 4K age but I will never get rid of my Aerial's. By the way in over 20 years of using my Aerials constantly, I have only had to replace one sub amp and that was under warranty, just a bad component. To say I love my Aerials would be a gross understatement.
g_bartman and Class A like this.

Earl
post #2249 of 2311 Old 03-21-2019, 04:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Actually, in re-reviewing the Trinnov Altitude 32 manual, they recommend the following setup for 16 channels:

7.1 base system (which I have once I obtain the two pairs of Aerial 7 LCRs, which will be a three Aerial 7ts up front, Aerial 7LCRs on wall for side and rear surrounds, and the .1 is two JL Audio f212 subwoofers)

4 height speakers (left and right top front, left and right top rear)(which I already have installed, four KEF Ci200RR-THX in ceiling speakers, though I am open to replacing them if anyone has better not too expensive ideas)

2 additional surround speakers (left right and right wide, in front at ear level) (I am considering Aerial 5Ts on stands for this)

1 additional center height speaker for the center top front channel (Auro-3D & DTS-X) (another KEF Ci200RR-THX?)

1 additional ceiling speaker for the top channel (Auro-3D & DTS-X) (another KEF Ci200RR-THX?)

Originally w/the 30T (formerly the 25T) Michael was going to drop the ribbon tweeter. However he apparently found a better ribbon than he had on the 20T. He is ordering the parts to assemble the new speaker. Can't wait to hear it. The LCR's are terrific. My local dealer has a pair as mains under his screen in his HT demo room. Have you put any thought about purchasing a single LCR as your center channel? Perfect match for the 7T's and would rival the CC-5 w/out taking up any floor space.
post #2250 of 2311 Old 03-21-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally w/the 30T (formerly the 25T) Michael was going to drop the ribbon tweeter. However he apparently found a better ribbon than he had on the 20T. He is ordering the parts to assemble the new speaker. Can't wait to hear it. The LCR's are terrific. My local dealer has a pair as mains under his screen in his HT demo room. Have you put any thought about purchasing a single LCR as your center channel? Perfect match for the 7T's and would rival the CC-5 w/out taking up any floor space.
Why? I have my up front THREE 7ts which fit just under where my screen starts. My center speaker since 2014 has been a 7t!!! Back in early 2014 I realized that the 7ts were not as high as my prior 9s, and I raised my then screen a bit so that the front left and right 7ts didn't interfere with the screen. Then in 2017 when I got my Sony VW5000ES projector and a new 168" wide 2.40 1.0 gain Stewart Snomatte, we ensured that all THREE 7ts in front were just below the screen as well!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy Cc 5 Center Channel Speaker Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page