What about 2 Velodyne HGS18s vs Aerial SW 12? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-10-2000, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, based on the discussion of one Aerial SW 12 versus four Vandies, does anyone have an opinion/compared getting two Velodyne HGS 18s versus a single Aerial (with discounts, they are essentially equitable $$)

Thanks
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-11-2000, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would think in your particular situation, using monitor type speakers, the sw12 would be a better way to go. this is because I think it will do better with higher frequencies than the 18" subs. the 18"ers might move more air than one sw12, although I have to tell you that the sw12 moves a lot of air, but your sound quality would be better with the sw12.

- Jerry
post #3 of 12 Old 05-13-2000, 01:03 AM
TV
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

A pair of HGS18 would extend lower, and play louder and cleaner than a
single SW12.

TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-13-2000, 03:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Technically, TV is correct. But the Aerial subs have a real high quality amplifier, much better than the Velodyne, and I suspect in a really high end system, that the Aerial sub(s) will sound better in that little 'ol audiophile way. But I haven't demod the Velodyne subs myself. I have paid attention to comments in several reviews which luved the Velodyne subs but did sort of mention a bit of a lack of musicality at times. That can't be said for the Aerial subs. Now that extra musicality of the Aerial sub may not necessarily be heard in your particular system and two Velodyne subs, one in each corner for a bit smoother sound perhaps, or both in one corner for added LFE preference (try it and see what you like) is more cost effective if you have a realistically limited budget (unlike what I have demonstrated in the past!)

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-13-2000, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

TV is correct, 2 18" subs should play lower and louder. Its just that Jeff is going to be using monitor type speakers and therefore having a sub that plays the higher frequencies well is important- IMHO. So my suggestion is to get a sub that blends best. And in the other thread TV points out that multiple subs can be more difficult to set up. So my advice is, keep it simple, 1 sub; and get the 1 sub that will handle a broader range of frequencies, and for the record the sw12 is quite capable of playing low and loud (although perhaps not up to the level of some of TV's creations).

- Jerry
post #6 of 12 Old 05-14-2000, 11:03 AM
TV
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

>>> I have paid attention to comments in several reviews which luved the Velodyne subs but did sort of mention a bit of a lack of musicality at times. That can't be said for the Aerial subs. <<<

What's interesting about these comments(any I've seen them plenty of times)...is that the VELs are sealed, and the SW12s are basic 4th order vented enclosures.

How many times have we seen someone saying that sub *X* HAS to be more musicality because it's *sealed*. And HOW many times have we seen someone saying they don't like *ported* enclosures because they always sound "boomy and unnatural" to them?

Anyway---it's nice to see some of these old wives tales being dismissed.

A well designed ported subwoofer can be great for music,film,anything you toss at it...just like the SW12.

TV
post #7 of 12 Old 05-17-2000, 11:47 PM
rv

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I haven't heard the Aerial subs, but I have read more enthusastic comments about the Aerial subs than any other piece of equipment.

That said, I owned a Velodyne HGS18. The HGS18 has amazing amounts of earth-shaking bass, but my issue was more one of quality of the equipment. The units makes too much "buzzing" noise (not a ground loop type buzz...but an transformer buzz that's slightly amplified by the huge 18" woofer). That absolutely annoys me to no end. All 18" Velodyne units that I have listened to exhibit this problem.

I would also comment, that bass drum hits seem to slightly trail the tempo of the song, kind of making it slow. I don't have any of these issues with my B&W ASW3000.

Just my 2 cents.

RV
post #8 of 12 Old 05-17-2000, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Liked: 847
RV, your two cents are very important for those of us who value our bass and our audiophile sensibilities and musicality. The Aerial SW12 is not cheap by any means, but it does a phenomenal job for both movies and music and the only trailer you'll hear and see is on the screen, not from the sub!

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-20-2000, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've got a Velodyne FSR-18. I remember the transformer buzz when I first got it, which was completely eliminated with a "cheater" plug.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-21-2000, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nicholas,
although the odds are very low, using the cheater can harm you and/or your property. Velodyne uses a 3 prong plug for a reason. the hum you were hearing is most like a ground loop, usually caused by cable tv. you should make an effort to place the source of the ground loop and then remedy the situation.

- Jerry
post #11 of 12 Old 05-21-2000, 07:47 PM
rv

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just to clarify the buzzing....I am not talking about ground loop buzz, but just general noise from the internal amplifier of the HGS18 unit. Even with nothing connected to the unit, and only plugging it in, these units tend to have noisy power supplies that is amplifed through the 18 woofer. Hope this helps.

RV
post #12 of 12 Old 05-25-2000, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I must agree with TV. I would take a pair of Velodyne HGS-18 subs ANY day of the week. I cross mine with my Nautilus 802 speakers at 55 Hz fourth order using the Meridian 861. I can guarantee you will be happy with a pair of HGS-18 subs. What are your main speakers? I have to admit that I wouldn't run ANY subwoofer higher than 80 Hz. The velodyne will sound just as good if croosed at 55 Hz as 80 Hz. Although obviously, it is nice to be able to use lower crossover settings around 50 or 60 Hz if your main speakers will allow it. I would absolutely love to hear the difference between a pair of HGS-18 subs vs a single Aerial SW. The truth is, I don't think I would trade two HGS-18's for two Aerial subwoofers for the reason that TV mentioned.

Subwoofers operate in cuch a limited bandwith that 'expensive' "high-quality" amps are not required. They require dependable, efficient high-power, high-current amps, that's all. that's what Velodyne uses--decent 'switching' amps. I would hope that for the higher price of the Aerial subs that they use some higher quality components in their amp, but for subwoofers, it is a waste of money IMO. The bottom line for a subwoofer is how it sounds and how it measures.

As far as both HGS-18 subs in the same corner vs one in each corner, that is a tough one that deserves a trial run in each configuration.
I would lean toward one in each corner simply because the LFE channel often contains a decent amount of 80-120 Hz information unfortunately.
IMO, when you have one in each corner it makes the sub less 'locatable' in general. I chose to use 2 HGS-18 subs in each corner, for 4 total. I'm still waiting on 2 more HGS-18 subs, they should be here within 2 weeks. Calibrating 4 is not easy...
The nice part is that I will have headroom galore and can trun the gains way down. You'd be suprized how easy it is to use up headroom when you play a disc with 10 Hz Sound effects on it. P.S. the electrician is coming by this week to install 2 more lines https://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I'd look into DIY subs as the next step up from multiple HGS-18 subs..
That is my current thinking. I just can't handle that task right now.
Intern year is only a month away https://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif https://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif https://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Health Nut (edited May 25, 2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page