Magnepan only producing 1.6? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-07-2000, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I took a friend to my local Magnepan dealer and we were informed that the only speaker available from Magnepan is the 1.6. My friend is just getting started in high-end and I was hoping she could hear the MMGs. Can anyone in the know confirm or deny this? It's a shame that Magnepan is shutting out new blood from hearing maggies. However, I understand they can't make the 1.6 fast enough so what can you do? I'm just wondering if there aren't a lot of MMGs going back to Magnepan with so many people upgrading to the 1.6? I'll probably just call Magnepan today, but if anyone knows give me an e-mail.

Pioneer Elite SC-LX901 Receiver, Magnepan MG2.5/R x4 and CC3 center channel speakers with Sound Anchor stands, Power Sound Audio S3000i subwoofer, Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR-75X940E TV, Monoprice Premium HDMI and DH Labs Silver Sonic T-14 speaker cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-08-2000, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

O.K., I answered my own question. I called Magnepan and they are producing their entire line of speakers. However, the wait is very long. For the MMGs it's not to bad (1-1 1/2 months) but for everything else it's 4-6 months! Not a good way to do business. It's a shame they're shooting themselves in the foot like this.

Pioneer Elite SC-LX901 Receiver, Magnepan MG2.5/R x4 and CC3 center channel speakers with Sound Anchor stands, Power Sound Audio S3000i subwoofer, Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR-75X940E TV, Monoprice Premium HDMI and DH Labs Silver Sonic T-14 speaker cables
post #3 of 4 Old 06-08-2000, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello fellow music lovers,
#
Quote:
Originally posted by kotches:
The MMGs are only available factory direct. So taking your friend by
to hear the MMGs was a pointless exercise anyway.

There is no doubt that Magnepan is having serious production problems.
It's a simple problem -- they have far more orders than they can possibly
handle. Little of their speaker building process is automated, so it
isn't as simple as speeding up the line, or adding more shifts of workers.

They need more people, and probably a bigger facility -- it's tough
to find skilled people because the job market in the Minneapolis area
(like most of the US) is very tight.

It seems to just be getting worse for Magnepan in the building process
though, which isn't a good sign.
{snip}
Well in some ways it is good to hear that Magnepan are having this problem, it indicates that the company is doing very well (as opposed to so many comapnies who are screaming "The end is nigh for High End". By showing an awareness for what the customer wants, not just top quality 2 channel but top notch 5 or 6 channel and releasing these products at highly competitive prices with good build quality and excellent sound quality, the market has marched with it's wallet straight to the door of Magnepan. There must be audio companies the world over who are green with envy at Magnepans situation. It is a real shame they are having these production problems and i'm sure that the owners of Magnepan are doing everything they can to shorten those lead times on their products. But let's look at it this way. It shows a high level integrity of the individuals running Magnepan that they haven't chosen to start employing cheaper labour who do not posses the skills to make the product to Magnepans high standards or cutting back on their training to ensure that those people that are newcomers are equipped with the skills to do the job right. Rather than going for a quick fix Magnepan are upholding the integrity and quality of their product rather than going for the quick buck and trying to make fast profits from their bulging order book.

I for one applaud such an attitude. I am sure that in the context of the years of enjoyment that Magnepans speakers will bring that 6 months is a short time to wait to get the job done right.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Regards and best wishes,

Dave

------------------
Do you still listen to vinyl?
If so then come and see us fellow vinyl lovers
at http://www.analogue-domain.org.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-09-2000, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I realize the MMG is only available from the factory. Often times, however, dealers will have MMGs on hand due to the trade-up policy. There are also usually some used maggies that have been traded in and need a good home (that's how I got my pair of SMGcs for $219!). I too am glad that Magnepan is taking the time to do things right. My point was that many of the people now flocking to home theater will be turned off by the long wait and purchase another brand of speaker. This is an excellent time for Magnepan to establish themselves as the audiophile's choice for home theater. However, this will never happen until they produce a better center channel (which has been due out for more than a year). As well received as the 1.6 has been, you can't support a speaker company on one product.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page