***The Official Ascend Acoustics Sierra Thread*** - Page 128 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 850Likes

post #3811 of 5503 Old 05-20-2016, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutape View Post
I'm googling "how to single point audyssey" but only keep running into posts about running audyssey with one position, which I don't think is what you're referring to. Is there a way to run Audyssey again to tweak currently saved settings for specific channels like you're suggesting?
I believe that is what he is referring to......one position. That way you are not spending all the time and effort to measure multiple positions and just having the AVR calculate for the main listening position which takes far less time to do vs. doing all the positions. This will give you a baseline of where your sub level is and you would raise/lower it based on this initial Audyssey setting. After adjusting the sub trim on the sub amp you would then rerun a single position calculation to see if you are in the ballpark, then go ahead and run the full multi-position Audyssey calibration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 5503 Old 05-20-2016, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Protecting smaller speakers from low LFE frequencies in a system without a subwoofer

Does anyone use their Sierras in a system without a subwoofer AND watch movies on that same system (i.e you use them in a small apartment and don't want to disturb neighbors)? If so, how do you protect the low LFE frequencies in a movie soundtrack from damaging the Sierras? Is this protection necessary or will the low sub-30Hz frequencies just roll off anyway since the Sierras don't go below 44Hz?

I actually started a new thread on this topic since it's more of a general question about protecting smaller speakers vs. being directly related to the Sierras (although I am a Sierra-1 owner), but I'd love to hear what other Sierra owners do in this situation. If you care to read the thread I created, it can be found here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post44147554

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by jkozlow3; 05-20-2016 at 12:08 PM.
post #3813 of 5503 Old 05-20-2016, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
Does anyone use their Sierras in a system without a subwoofer AND watch movies on that same system (i.e you use them in a small apartment and don't want to disturb neighbors)? If so, how do you protect the low LFE frequencies in a movie soundtrack from damaging the Sierras? Is this protection necessary or will the low sub-30Hz frequencies just roll off anyway since the Sierras don't go below 44Hz?

I actually started a new thread on this topic since it's more of a general question about protecting smaller speakers vs. being directly related to the Sierras (although I am a Sierra-1 owner), but I'd love to hear what other Sierra owners do in this situation. If you care to read the thread I created, it can be found here:

Thanks for your input!

I believe the low frequencies would simply roll off, much like tv speakers. For insurance, however, I'd keep the volume at a reasonable level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3814 of 5503 Old 05-20-2016, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1847 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
I'm googling "how to single point audyssey" but only keep running into posts about running audyssey with one position, which I don't think is what you're referring to. Is there a way to run Audyssey again to tweak currently saved settings for specific channels like you're suggesting?
Sorry wasn't clear on the idea. Initially have the SVS sub plate amp level at the 9 o'clock position.

With the mic at the Main Listening Position(MLP), just do the first position measurement with the Denon 4311. This is the same as a one position or single point measurement. Save the results and check the sub level. Adjust the sub plate amp level such that the Denon is reporting the sub between -6dB and -11dB. I.e. if the Denon is saying the sub level is -12dB, adjust the SVS sub's plate amp level down to say 8 o'clock, then redo the first position measurement, save result and check the sub level on the Denon again. This is an iterative process until the Denon report the sub level is in the range of -6dB to -11dB.

Once you've got the bass level right do the full 8 measurements in the close mic pattern. Adjust on the Denon the bass level +3dB to +6dB depending on taste. Compare the results to the previous wide sofa pattern.

Then try placing some 2" thick Owens Corning 703 fiberglass (wrapped in transparent cloth) panels behind the MLP, it will help absorb reflections bouncing from the back wall. Hopefully this will give you better dialogue clarity from the Ascend speakers. If you want to keep costs down, you can make the panels yourself with instructions in the following thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...els-cheap.html

If you're not a handyman, there are off the shelf and custom acoustic panels from suppliers such as GIK and RealTraps.
bgbkt likes this.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #3815 of 5503 Old 05-23-2016, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sierra Horizon center vs Sierra-2 center

Hello
I am looking at the possibility of getting Sierra-2's for a home theater and wanted people opinion on what would be the better center for the Sierra-2's and home theater in general.
I am looking a the Horizon center vs the Sierra-2 center, I don't have enough room to have a Sierra-2 upright(i have about 12.5" to work with), would barely be able to squeeze in the horizon. that being said should i consider the sierra-2 center? would this be a "good" option being the speaker is on its side or should i look at the Horizon center instead (about twice the price) but if is worth it i would,

Thanks for the help
post #3816 of 5503 Old 05-23-2016, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy77 View Post
Hello
I am looking at the possibility of getting Sierra-2's for a home theater and wanted people opinion on what would be the better center for the Sierra-2's and home theater in general.
I am looking a the Horizon center vs the Sierra-2 center, I don't have enough room to have a Sierra-2 upright(i have about 12.5" to work with), would barely be able to squeeze in the horizon. that being said should i consider the sierra-2 center? would this be a "good" option being the speaker is on its side or should i look at the Horizon center instead (about twice the price) but if is worth it i would,

Thanks for the help
Matching the speakers is generally recommended. So if you're getting Sierra 2's for left and right, I would definitely get a Sierra-2 center. As for having "a Sierra-2 upright", not sure what you're referring to. I believe the center Sierra-2 already has the tweeter rotated for placement on its side, so you don't need to be concerned with upright placement.
post #3817 of 5503 Old 05-23-2016, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 3147
Given the importance of the center channel for HT, if you can afford the Horizon buy it and say "thank you Dave for creating such a great center." Seriously, I have lived with 3 Sierras across the front, they sounded very good. The Horizon was a completely different level with movies and multi-channel disks (like SACDs). Its a beast too, hard to appreciate just how well made it is until you go to take it out of the box - 40 lbs +.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #3818 of 5503 Old 05-23-2016, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Matching the speakers is generally recommended. So if you're getting Sierra 2's for left and right, I would definitely get a Sierra-2 center. As for having "a Sierra-2 upright", not sure what you're referring to. I believe the center Sierra-2 already has the tweeter rotated for placement on its side, so you don't need to be concerned with upright placement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Given the importance of the center channel for HT, if you can afford the Horizon buy it and say "thank you Dave for creating such a great center." Seriously, I have lived with 3 Sierras across the front, they sounded very good. The Horizon was a completely different level with movies and multi-channel disks (like SACDs). Its a beast too, hard to appreciate just how well made it is until you go to take it out of the box - 40 lbs +.
Thank you both for the information, smurraybhm how do you like your setup with the Sierra-2's as you main's with the Horizon center for movies? for now i am about 90%movies 10%music
post #3819 of 5503 Old 05-24-2016, 04:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post

Thanks for your input!
Be careful if you are using room eq software. It's possible that the bass could be electronically boosted in a way that damages the speakers if the volume is turned up high. You could use a low crossover even without a sub to filter out frequencies lower than 40hz.
post #3820 of 5503 Old 05-24-2016, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Hello

Thanks for the help
I've tried the Sierra-2 center in both vertical and horizontal positions and couldn't tell a difference between the two. It seems like the Sierra-2 center is a perfect match to me.
post #3821 of 5503 Old 05-24-2016, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you both for the information, smurraybhm how do you like your setup with the Sierra-2's as you main's with the Horizon center for movies? for now i am about 90%movies 10%music
3 Sierras across the front would work well. Adding the Horizon put your HT experience in a different league, speaking from experience As I said above, if you can afford it then buy it and don't look back. My only caution would be you'll be tempted to get 2 more once you spend some time with it. Someday.

Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #3822 of 5503 Old 05-24-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Quote:
Sorry wasn't clear on the idea. Initially have the SVS sub plate amp level at the 9 o'clock position.

With the mic at the Main Listening Position(MLP), just do the first position measurement with the Denon 4311. This is the same as a one position or single point measurement. Save the results and check the sub level. Adjust the sub plate amp level such that the Denon is reporting the sub between -6dB and -11dB. I.e. if the Denon is saying the sub level is -12dB, adjust the SVS sub's plate amp level down to say 8 o'clock, then redo the first position measurement, save result and check the sub level on the Denon again. This is an iterative process until the Denon report the sub level is in the range of -6dB to -11dB.

Once you've got the bass level right do the full 8 measurements in the close mic pattern. Adjust on the Denon the bass level +3dB to +6dB depending on taste. Compare the results to the previous wide sofa pattern.

Then try placing some 2" thick Owens Corning 703 fiberglass (wrapped in transparent cloth) panels behind the MLP, it will help absorb reflections bouncing from the back wall. Hopefully this will give you better dialogue clarity from the Ascend speakers. If you want to keep costs down, you can make the panels yourself with instructions in the following thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...els-cheap.html

If you're not a handyman, there are off the shelf and custom acoustic panels from suppliers such as GIK and RealTraps.
The PC-13 ultra doesn't have a fixed dial, it's a freely rotating dial that adjusts the values on a digital display on the sub amp itself.

Regarding the Denon reporting the sub levels, I can't even proceed with Audyssey calibration if the sub levels exceed -76db, as that's the first check it does. After calibration, it places the sub trim at about -3dB.

Regardless, the sub part has never really been the issue, it's the speakers themselves. I calibrated again with the toe in and center moved forward and haven't noticed any improvement, so I've decided to try a new AVR. I've ordered an Anthem MRX 720. Once I get it in and calibrated, I'll follow up on the board to report whether the issue has been resolved.

I remember when I ONLY had the towers I would run them in Direct mode and the sound was awesome, bass even felt great. I was using a 4308 for a bit, before going with a 4311. Then noticed I had previously opened a thread here complaining about the 4311 even a year ago, so I think it's a good idea to at least rule that out, as it seems I've never been really happy with it.

Speaking of which: is there a chance I could have damaged the speakers by running them too loudly in direct? I usually would hover around -10db at the ABSOLUTE most...but then again, Dave tested my towers when I sent them back in for the RAAL upgrade a while back (when he was still doing that) and they tested fine? So I imagine if they tested fine when I sent them back then obviously I couldn't have damaged them, at least that's my running theory.
post #3823 of 5503 Old 05-25-2016, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
The PC-13 ultra doesn't have a fixed dial, it's a freely rotating dial that adjusts the values on a digital display on the sub amp itself.

Regarding the Denon reporting the sub levels, I can't even proceed with Audyssey calibration if the sub levels exceed -76db, as that's the first check it does. After calibration, it places the sub trim at about -3dB.

Regardless, the sub part has never really been the issue, it's the speakers themselves. I calibrated again with the toe in and center moved forward and haven't noticed any improvement, so I've decided to try a new AVR. I've ordered an Anthem MRX 720. Once I get it in and calibrated, I'll follow up on the board to report whether the issue has been resolved.

I remember when I ONLY had the towers I would run them in Direct mode and the sound was awesome, bass even felt great. I was using a 4308 for a bit, before going with a 4311. Then noticed I had previously opened a thread here complaining about the 4311 even a year ago, so I think it's a good idea to at least rule that out, as it seems I've never been really happy with it.

Speaking of which: is there a chance I could have damaged the speakers by running them too loudly in direct? I usually would hover around -10db at the ABSOLUTE most...but then again, Dave tested my towers when I sent them back in for the RAAL upgrade a while back (when he was still doing that) and they tested fine? So I imagine if they tested fine when I sent them back then obviously I couldn't have damaged them, at least that's my running theory.
The 4311 should be a decently capable AVR. Maybe you just prefer the phantom center because of how incredible the towers are? I'd try just running it that way for a while and see what you think. However, the Anthem receivers are very highly rated so that may do the trick, who knows. I have noticed bass tightening up when I run my towers through my Bifrost Multibit, so the DAC can make a difference.

I really, highly doubt that your speakers are damaged. You have to run them at ear bleeding levels to do anything to them.

Video: Benq HT2150ST Projector --> Silver Ticket 100" Fixed Screen
5.2 Audio: PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers/Horizon Center with RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM 200 SE (surrounds), Dual Rythmik F12 subs
post #3824 of 5503 Old 05-25-2016, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:

Your predicament is a real head scratcher! I've been following it hoping for you that speaker adjustments might help out, but it really seems like something in the 4311 got out of spec. Perhaps the servicing you had done missed it or something. Maybe the mic is out of whack, who knows. Either way, I'm pretty certain that running the volume up to -10 wouldn't cause any damage, I've gone up to -8 or -6 a few times without issue and the sound is clear and clean.
post #3825 of 5503 Old 05-25-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
Your predicament is a real head scratcher! I've been following it hoping for you that speaker adjustments might help out, but it really seems like something in the 4311 got out of spec. Perhaps the servicing you had done missed it or something. Maybe the mic is out of whack, who knows. Either way, I'm pretty certain that running the volume up to -10 wouldn't cause any damage, I've gone up to -8 or -6 a few times without issue and the sound is clear and clean.
I got my Dad to board the Ascend train a year or so back as well, so worst case scenario, I might quietly borrow his RAAL towers while he's away and put them in my living room to do an A/B comparison. That should definitely help me determine whether there is anything up with my speakers.
post #3826 of 5503 Old 05-25-2016, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 23
How poorly would a horizon center mate with 170's for L/R and 200s for the rear? I assume that the RAAL tweeter would be even worse in that regard compared to the NrT?

After 14 years, I'm still fairly happy with the performance of the 170s all across the front. But because of a variety of issues I don't run a sub at all. This hasn't been too much of a problem because of my taste in movies is pretty broad and only a fraction of what I watch is conceived as aural thrill ride material.
Also I've recently been exposed to a variation of ribbon tweeters in my new desktop system and those have really blown me away. Because of the lack of sub coupled with my general viewing habits (less loud action movies and more catalog dramas and classics) I'm starting to crave a beefier, more authoritative center channel that will still also give me those airy highs I hear from my computer speakers now.
The big problem is I just won't be able to swing more comparable matching L/R's anytime soon. So I will either have to make do with the 170's in that capacity or just avoid upgrading altogether.
The other option would be to go with the NrT tweeter. Doing that would mean I would be able to afford upgrading the L/R in about a year as opposed to two or three years down the line.
And looking at the reported frequency responses, they seem to be in line with what I'm looking for (and an improvement over the 170s).
The only problem is, listening to my desktop speakers, it will always nag at me how much more I might have loved the RAALs. That itch would always be there.

Any thoughts on this?
post #3827 of 5503 Old 05-25-2016, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
What about a Sierra 1 front sound stage? You could do that right now. Sierra 1s have better bass extension than CBM-170 SEs.
RielTime and sdg4vfx like this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #3828 of 5503 Old 05-26-2016, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

thanks for replying Cel4145-
The Sierra 1's with the NrT tweeters seem to be a distinct possibility as far as budget. I don't know what to make of the specs listed though. They offer the NrT upgrade, but specs seem to only account for the original tweeter. Should I look at the Sierra 2's whose specs I assume are stock NrTs rather than the RAALs? Otherwise, just going be the specs (which I understand doesn't tell the whole story with this stuff) I'm not seeing as impressive a leap on the top end as I am with the bottom- which looks like it would dig a lot deeper than my 170's.
I'm still fascinated by the Horizon center and think I would probably like to build my set up around that, even if it takes a while to complete.

I'm going to be mulling this over quite a while. The earliest I would be getting anything will likely be in the fall, but I'm still waiting for a few other things to shake out.
The itch to upgrade is certainly there now, but TBH when I'm actually using my HT I really have no complaints. It's unfortunate for Dave F that he managed to produce outstanding speakers right from the start I fully expect the Sierras are all better, but I worry at those price points about diminishing returns kicking in hard.

I should have mentioned that all seating is off-axis too. That's another big concern as to which is going to deal with that better.
post #3829 of 5503 Old 05-26-2016, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan View Post
Should I look at the Sierra 2's whose specs I assume are stock NrTs rather than the RAALs?
Sierra-2's come stock with the RAAL.

Measurements for the Sierra-1NrT I think are somewhere on the Ascend forum.
post #3830 of 5503 Old 05-26-2016, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

the NrTs seem to be stock with the Horizon. which hit 27kHz.

Getting up in that neighborhood, I don't think I would feel the absence of the ribbons as much. Especially with large improvements as well in other areas.
post #3831 of 5503 Old 05-26-2016, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
the NrTs seem to be stock with the Horizon. which hit 27kHz.

Getting up in that neighborhood, I don't think I would feel the absence of the ribbons as much. Especially with large improvements as well in other areas.
frequency response isn't the major improvement factor with RAALs. It is the stored energy and time decay that make the difference.
post #3832 of 5503 Old 05-26-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post
frequency response isn't the major improvement factor with RAALs. It is the stored energy and time decay that make the difference.
Totally agree. The smooth sound of the RAAL while still being impeccably detailed is what it's all about. Who cares about extension past 20 kHz anyway? I can barely hear above 15. I mean, I still buy high res files because I think many of them sound better, and I still buy headphones and speakers with great extension, but treble extension is really at the very bottom of my priority list. I primarily bought my LCD-2 headphones because of the insane bass impact and the very low stored energy and decay time that makes the really fast death metal that I love to listen to sound impeccably realistic. The RAAL tweeters do the same thing. I've never heard a dome tweeter do the same thing, regardless of frequency extension.

5.2 Audio: PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers/Horizon Center with RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM 200 SE (surrounds), Dual Rythmik F12 subs
post #3833 of 5503 Old 05-27-2016, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Totally agree. The smooth sound of the RAAL while still being impeccably detailed is what it's all about. Who cares about extension past 20 kHz anyway? I can barely hear above 15. I mean, I still buy high res files because I think many of them sound better, and I still buy headphones and speakers with great extension, but treble extension is really at the very bottom of my priority list. I primarily bought my LCD-2 headphones because of the insane bass impact and the very low stored energy and decay time that makes the really fast death metal that I love to listen to sound impeccably realistic. The RAAL tweeters do the same thing. I've never heard a dome tweeter do the same thing, regardless of frequency extension.
Ah, OK. I've seen the rate of decay praised in reviews of the speakers/tweeters I'm using here on the desktop.
I wish there were more reviews available of these, just so I can understand better what is is I'm hearing and why I like it so much. Looks like I have a lot more reading to do.
post #3834 of 5503 Old 05-27-2016, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you haven't read this yet, this is a good starting point for learning more about what RAAL adds/does that a lot of us find so desirable.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ascend Sierra Ribbon Tower(4).pdf (151.6 KB, 74 views)

post #3835 of 5503 Old 05-27-2016, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the link, smurraybhm. I have to confess that a lot of that information, and the graphs, are over my head. I really can't interpret it.

I did call up Ascend yesterday though, and talked to a very pleasant rep. She found the answers to all my questions and I hung up feeling like "yeah, I really wanna throw more business this company's way if possible." I got a really good vibe from them 14 years ago, and this phone call did nothing but solidify that feeling.
By comparison, when I ordered my desktop speakers, the sales rep I dealt with several times (across multiple orders) always sounded like he was suffering my questions. He could have just been going through a bad month, but it was pretty much the antithesis of every interaction I've had with Ascend since 2002.

Right now, I think I would be inclined to go with the Sierra 1 (NrTs) for the mains, and the Horizon center with the RAAL. I was assured these would mate fine and it would seem to be the best solution as far as my budget and priorities.
post #3836 of 5503 Old 05-28-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link, smurraybhm. I have to confess that a lot of that information, and the graphs, are over my head. I really can't interpret it.

I did call up Ascend yesterday though, and talked to a very pleasant rep. She found the answers to all my questions and I hung up feeling like "yeah, I really wanna throw more business this company's way if possible." I got a really good vibe from them 14 years ago, and this phone call did nothing but solidify that feeling.
By comparison, when I ordered my desktop speakers, the sales rep I dealt with several times (across multiple orders) always sounded like he was suffering my questions. He could have just been going through a bad month, but it was pretty much the antithesis of every interaction I've had with Ascend since 2002.

Right now, I think I would be inclined to go with the Sierra 1 (NrTs) for the mains, and the Horizon center with the RAAL. I was assured these would mate fine and it would seem to be the best solution as far as my budget and priorities.
That would be Dina, she is fantastic to work with and always remembered me when I called about my order. She kept me informed the whole way and was extremely helpful with the BS my credit card company kept pulling since it was the biggest charge I've ever made. She really does make it a great experience, especially versus dealing with faceless companies with horrible support.

post #3837 of 5503 Old 05-29-2016, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Heres my plan and looking for any input. I live where I cannot audition Ascend speakers and noone near me owns any (as far as I know).

I am looking for a 3.0 system to begin with and will eventually make my way to a 5.1 slowly. (probably start with a sub than work on rears)

My Budget can vary, but lets max it out at $2600 so noone says RAAL towers and Horizon. It will be in a basement (havent measured it, but is about 16x18' with 7' ceilings) Seating is about 16' from where the tv will be mounted. It will be about 60% movies/netflix, 25% games, 5% music.

I could do;

-Sierra 2 and Horizon Center - $2500

-Sierra Tower and Sierra 1 NRT Center - $2600

-Sierra 1 with Sierra 1 Center - $1200

-Sierra 1 NRT with Sierra 1 NRT Center - $1700

I plan on eventually getting towers (if not purchased right away) for the front and rotating the bookshelves to the rears. I also plan on upgrading the speakers (If not purchased the sierra 2's right away).

I know some people will say Sierra 2's over the Sierra towers due to being the "best of the best" However, for what my system will be used for, is it the right purchase immediately? For the inital 3.0 system, what is the best route to take?
post #3838 of 5503 Old 05-29-2016, 01:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriddler07sms View Post
Heres my plan and looking for any input. I live where I cannot audition Ascend speakers and noone near me owns any (as far as I know).

I am looking for a 3.0 system to begin with and will eventually make my way to a 5.1 slowly. (probably start with a sub than work on rears)

My Budget can vary, but lets max it out at $2600 so noone says RAAL towers and Horizon. It will be in a basement (havent measured it, but is about 16x18' with 7' ceilings) Seating is about 16' from where the tv will be mounted. It will be about 60% movies/netflix, 25% games, 5% music.

I could do;

-Sierra 2 and Horizon Center - $2500

-Sierra Tower and Sierra 1 NRT Center - $2600

-Sierra 1 with Sierra 1 Center - $1200

-Sierra 1 NRT with Sierra 1 NRT Center - $1700

I plan on eventually getting towers (if not purchased right away) for the front and rotating the bookshelves to the rears. I also plan on upgrading the speakers (If not purchased the sierra 2's right away).

I know some people will say Sierra 2's over the Sierra towers due to being the "best of the best" However, for what my system will be used for, is it the right purchase immediately? For the inital 3.0 system, what is the best route to take?
What about subwoofer(s) and receiver?

base on your usage, I think Sierra Tower w/ NrT + Sierra Horizon w/ NrT and Sierra Satellite w/ NrT (not yet released) would fit your budget and I would rather have the NrT tweeter and save the extra cost needed for RAAL toward a good subwoofer or a second sub...
sunPin likes this.

5.2.4 HT - Sony XBR75X850C, Denon X4400H, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX, C380LCR x4 and Martin Logan Descent I x2
2 Channel - Ascend Sierra Tower w/ RAAL, Sony HAP-Z1ES, Marantz SA-KI-Pearl, Primaluna Dialogue Three, Parasound Halo A21, JL Audio CR1, JL Audio E112 and ATS Acoustics room treatments
post #3839 of 5503 Old 05-29-2016, 01:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
What about subwoofer(s) and receiver?

base on your usage, I think Sierra Tower w/ NrT + Sierra Horizon w/ NrT and Sierra Satellite w/ NrT (not yet released) would fit your budget and I would rather have the NrT tweeter and save the extra cost needed for RAAL toward a good subwoofer or a second sub...
I am trying to keep the reciever and sub out of the equation. The Reciever will be a Denon x4200w and Sub will be either a SVS SB or PB2000 (depending on room)

Do they make the Horizon with NRT tweeter? <---Just looked, I am an idiot.
post #3840 of 5503 Old 05-29-2016, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I did call up Ascend yesterday though, and talked to a very pleasant rep. She found the answers to all my questions and I hung up feeling like "yeah, I really wanna throw more business this company's way if possible."

Sorry about the article - hopefully you picked up a couple of things from the written portion.

Dina is great.

I have to ask why you would go with the NrTs when for $100 more (total, not each) you can have the RAALs. Not dismissing the extra as significant but you can save up a $100 quickly via lose change, cheaper coffee or packing a lunch for a few weeks, etc.

If at all possible no way would I not get the better tweeter, woofer and crossover for $100. You have to remember the Sierra 2 has a few other upgrades besides the RAAL. It's an even better deal when you look at the whole. Just don't focus on one great feature, which is easy to do because we all rant about the RAAL, there are 2 other big upgrades Dave made when he designed the Sierra 2.

If funds are limited I would get the standard Sierra 1s and look to upgrade them later when your budget allows. For under $600 pair they are a incredible deal. There is a reason I still have mine and plan on keeping them in use in some capacity for a long time. Then there is the bamboo cabinets, other speaker makers add significant up charges for bamboo - a lot more than the $100 we started out talking about.

Just my $100 worth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page