***The Official Ascend Acoustics Sierra Thread*** - Page 129 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 917Likes

post #3841 of 5638 Old 05-29-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Just my $100 worth
Not just $100 more....

Cost of stock Sierra-1 - $748

NrT upgrade (tweeter/crossover) - $300 per pair

RAAL upgrade (tweeter/woofer/crossover) - $408 per speaker so $816 per pair

Sierra-2 - $1448

5.2.4 HT - Sony XBR75X850C, Denon X4400H, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX, C380LCR x4 and Martin Logan Descent I x2
2 Channel - Ascend Sierra Tower w/ RAAL, Sony HAP-Z1ES, Marantz SA-KI-Pearl, Primaluna Dialogue Three, Parasound Halo A21, JL Audio CR1, JL Audio E112 and ATS Acoustics room treatments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3842 of 5638 Old 05-29-2016, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
3 Sierras across the front would work well. Adding the Horizon put your HT experience in a different league, speaking from experience As I said above, if you can afford it then buy it and don't look back. My only caution would be you'll be tempted to get 2 more once you spend some time with it. Someday.
Could you please post a pic of L/C/R setup, I am interested in the Horizon for my LCR.

Thanks
sunPin likes this.

VIDEO: Epson 5050UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Yamaha CX-A5200 * Emotiva XPA-9 Gen3
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #3843 of 5638 Old 05-29-2016, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Sorry about the article - hopefully you picked up a couple of things from the written portion.

Dina is great.

I have to ask why you would go with the NrTs when for $100 more (total, not each) you can have the RAALs. Not dismissing the extra as significant but you can save up a $100 quickly via lose change, cheaper coffee or packing a lunch for a few weeks, etc.

If at all possible no way would I not get the better tweeter, woofer and crossover for $100. You have to remember the Sierra 2 has a few other upgrades besides the RAAL. It's an even better deal when you look at the whole. Just don't focus on one great feature, which is easy to do because we all rant about the RAAL, there are 2 other big upgrades Dave made when he designed the Sierra 2.

If funds are limited I would get the standard Sierra 1s and look to upgrade them later when your budget allows. For under $600 pair they are a incredible deal. There is a reason I still have mine and plan on keeping them in use in some capacity for a long time. Then there is the bamboo cabinets, other speaker makers add significant up charges for bamboo - a lot more than the $100 we started out talking about.

Just my $100 worth
I didn't think there was a RAAL option with the Sierra 1's. I could have sworn when I asked earlier I was told that introducing the RAALs just made them Sierra 2's. In which case it would become $1500/pr + the horizon center w/ RAAL at $1500 which makes a front 3 RAAL set up $3000 minimum.

What I'm seeing as options are
Sierra 1 Mains w/ NrT upgrade - almost $1,100 (shipped)
Sierra 1 Center w/ NrT upgrde- around $650 (shipped)
Sierra 2's Mains (RAALs) - almost $1500 (shipped)
Sierra 2 Center (RAAL) - around $750 (shipped)
Sierra Horizon Center -$1100 (shipped w/ NrT and matching finish) or $1450 (w/ RAAL)

The center was the component I was most lusting after, and to go big on that means I would be in for at least $1100 already. If I added NrT mains, I would be at $2200 total (for now) which is do-able. It would also allow me to have a clear upgrade path in the future in which I could move those Sierra 1's to surround duty. Although anticipating the future always seems to bite me and It's likely 2 or three yrs down the road I would want the by then available and relatively inexpensive RAAL satellites for a fully cohesive field.

As much as I love the ribbon variation on my desktop, It might be to my advantage just going NrTs all around.

In any case, as I said earlier, I still enjoy the basic sound field I get from my classic (non SE) CBM-170s, so I can afford to chew on this, and save up, for a good while longer yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3844 of 5638 Old 05-29-2016, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 957
According to the Ascend forum, the Sierra sats with RAAL will be around $1200/pair. No question, RAAL's all around are the ideal if money is no object, but if it is, I'd go RAAL less. The NrT is still excellent, and you may not even miss the RAAL's. You can try them out for 30 days, I believe. If you must have RAAL's all around, my suggestion would be a pair of Sierra 2's (which I own and love) and a Sierra center, which would be an ideal match across the front. For myself, I'm planning on the 200's for surround duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3845 of 5638 Old 05-30-2016, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
Totally agree. The smooth sound of the RAAL while still being impeccably detailed is what it's all about. Who cares about extension past 20 kHz anyway? I can barely hear above 15. I mean, I still buy high res files because I think many of them sound better, and I still buy headphones and speakers with great extension, but treble extension is really at the very bottom of my priority list. I primarily bought my LCD-2 headphones because of the insane bass impact and the very low stored energy and decay time that makes the really fast death metal that I love to listen to sound impeccably realistic. The RAAL tweeters do the same thing. I've never heard a dome tweeter do the same thing, regardless of frequency extension.
Hey great choice in headphones!! I have the LCD-X headphones and the Towers with RAAL and I gotta say I find lots of similarities in the sense of decay as well! Very, very pleasant. I went down to Ascend and compared the NRT and RAAL both of which sounded great, but the RAAL was exactly what I was looking for.

Emotiva XMC-1 and Emotiva XPR-5
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower and Horizon with RAAL
Atlantic Technology SR2200 Surrounds
2 x Reaction Audio Echo 18 XL
Panasonic 65" ZT60
Oppo BDP-105
post #3846 of 5638 Old 05-30-2016, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked: 3165
Great news from Ascend today. Should give those considering Ascend along with others the opportunity to compare 3 of their very good speakers.

...by popular request, we are trying something new by offering free shipping and free return shipping (in the rare occasion a customer wishes to return an item) on a few select products. This is a true risk-free audition!

Products covered under the risk-free audition:

Sierra-1
CMT-340SE
CBM-170SE

* Note: free shipping is only available for ship to addresses in the continental US only.

I'm not telling anyone about the b-stock sale on the 2s since I may buy another pair

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #3847 of 5638 Old 05-30-2016, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Great news from Ascend today. Should give those considering Ascend along with others the opportunity to compare 3 of their very good speakers.

...by popular request, we are trying something new by offering free shipping and free return shipping (in the rare occasion a customer wishes to return an item) on a few select products. This is a true risk-free audition!

Products covered under the risk-free audition:

Sierra-1

CMT-340SE

CBM-170SE

* Note: free shipping is only available for ship to addresses in the continental US only.

I'm not telling anyone about the b-stock sale on the 2s since I may buy another pair

So if I'm reading this right, the 2's are not included in the free shipping back?

SONY XBR-65X900F - Sony UDP X800- PSA 210T L/R -PHANTOM CENTER -ENERGY RC-10 SURROUNDS -PSA S3000i - MARANTZ SR6013 - APPLE TV -DIRECTV HR44 -HARMONY ELITE

BASEMENT SETUP- SAMSUNG UN466500- ENERGY RC50'S L/R-ENERGY RC LCR- DENON-AVR-3311CI- PS3 -APPLETV- MINI GENIE
post #3848 of 5638 Old 05-30-2016, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Correct. Just the 3 in the message I received from Ascend this morning. Have to start somewhere, you still have the trial period, but the shipping is on the buyer.

So much for me trying out a few Horizons as my L\R

Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #3849 of 5638 Old 05-30-2016, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know my math skills aren't the greatest, but shouldn't $290 off bring the price of the B stock Sierras down to $1158 not $1274?

If the price is actually $1158 (+s/h), I would be seriously tempted to order these today.

Last edited by Paulidan; 05-30-2016 at 09:09 AM.
post #3850 of 5638 Old 05-30-2016, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan View Post
I know my math skills aren't the greatest, but shouldn't $290 off bring the price of the B stock Sierras down to $1158 not $1274?

If the price is actually $1158 (+s/h), I would be seriously tempted to order these today.
Yep I agree I'm going to email them and see if I can get the advertised 290 off of B stock versus the 174 off the website is showing. If so I will definitely jump on a pair of these.
post #3851 of 5638 Old 05-30-2016, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
According to the Ascend forum, the Sierra sats with RAAL will be around $1200/pair.
Have they mentioned when these will be available?

Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral, or fattening.
post #3852 of 5638 Old 05-30-2016, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post
Have they mentioned when these will be available?

Not before August/September. Looks like they'll have a lot of the Sierra 2's performance in a smaller package. I believe they will also be offered with the NrT tweeters for less money.

post #3853 of 5638 Old 05-30-2016, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan View Post

Thanks so much for the head's up! This is what happens when I make an update when our office is closed, nobody to double check my work

I have adjusted the pricing on our site and we will properly adjust any orders that have been placed prior to shipping.

Happy Memorial Day!!
sunPin likes this.

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #3854 of 5638 Old 05-30-2016, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Not before August/September. Looks like they'll have a lot of the Sierra 2's performance in a smaller package. I believe they will also be offered with the NrT tweeters for less money.

Thanks, looking forward to having RAAL rears to match the fronts.

Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral, or fattening.
post #3855 of 5638 Old 05-30-2016, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Don't know if I'm happy to see the discount correctly kick in now or not, as it means I'm likely to be spending a lot more money a lot sooner than I anticipated

A cooler head prevailed today though and I didn't pull the trigger just yet. My CC billing cycle rolls over next week so I'm going to wait for that. If they still have the B stocks left I'll be placing the order Tuesday or Wed. I was told by Dina they got a backlog to get through anyway. It may not apply to the B stock units, but it would apply to the Horizon center I would order at the same time.

Now I just have to decide which finish I want. I like Dark Cherry in general, but was leaning towards Espresso thinking that would read closest to black in a dark HT. Anyone using the Cherry with a front projector? How visible is the coloration in the reflected light? That's another thing I have always liked about the CBM-170's. I thought they were ugly as hell before I ever got them, and the appearance was why it took me so long to give them a shot despite seeing nothing but raves for them. After I had then though, influenced by the performance and value I came to see them as cute little things. The aesthetic was form following function which I respect quite a bit. I have come to love that they don't call attention to themselves. They just perform. I almost feel like it's going to be a step backward for me to buy "pretty" speakers.
post #3856 of 5638 Old 05-31-2016, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi: I have a question: what color is the "natural" finish on Sierra 2's? I'd like the darkest, most non-reflective finish possible.

post #3857 of 5638 Old 05-31-2016, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Hi: I have a question: what color is the "natural" finish on Sierra 2's? I'd like the darkest, most non-reflective finish possible.

If you're wanting to take advantage of the current sale, then the Satin Espresso would be the finish for you. If you want a textured black, that would be custom and you'd have to contact the owner directly for pricing. http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...SRM2/srm2.html
RielTime and healthnut like this.
post #3858 of 5638 Old 05-31-2016, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
If you're wanting to take advantage of the current sale, then the Satin Espresso would be the finish for you. If you want a textured black, that would be custom and you'd have to contact the owner directly for pricing. http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...SRM2/srm2.html
What about Piano Black - can't speak for how reflective it is as I am all about the natural look my 1s, 2s and Horizon.

post #3859 of 5638 Old 05-31-2016, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Natural finish is just the natural bamboo color with clear coat so it would be yellowish

Your best bet for darkest finish would probably be satin espresso

5.2.4 HT - Sony XBR75X850C, Denon X4400H, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX, C380LCR x4 and Martin Logan Descent I x2
2 Channel - Ascend Sierra Tower w/ RAAL, Sony HAP-Z1ES, Marantz SA-KI-Pearl, Primaluna Dialogue Three, Parasound Halo A21, JL Audio CR1, JL Audio E112 and ATS Acoustics room treatments
post #3860 of 5638 Old 05-31-2016, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What about Piano Black - can't speak for how reflective it is as I am all about the natural look my 1s, 2s and Horizon.
I expect the piano finish would be too reflective. I'll probably end up going with Dark Cherry. Now I'm just wondering if it wouldn't be better to go all 3 Sierra 2's in front. I have my center CBM 170 orientated vertically and could squeeze in a vertical Sierra 2 with just a slight re-jiggering of my screen frame.
Re-reading this thread, I came up on where Healthnut got rid of his horizon center because it wasn't imaging vertically in a convincing way. This is one area in which I've been very satisfied with the 170. Even though it is sitting well below ear level, I still enjoy a convincing sound to image effect with the screen above. If I consciously focus on it, the illusion might start to drift a little. But I can honestly say I've never been taken out of the moment by center channel sound that seemed to coming from below the screen.

The new Horizon orders are going to take a little while to ship give the backlog and the expected arrival dates for the drivers. I may just order another S2 when I place the order for the B stocks. Otherwise if the center doesn't come in until 3 weeks into my audition time with the mains, I'm going to be in a tight corner.

And just as I was typing this up Dina called back. Seems the B stock sale is only on the Chinese cabinets and the problem is that the finishes on those don't match the US cabinets (which is what I need to get the Horizon). So it's $100 more to get matching finishes across the front three.
TBH, $300 off was a motivator to move sooner rather than later. $200 off, I may just stick to my original plan and wait till fall to see how some other things shake out (which is really what I should be doing anyway if I were being smart).

Last edited by Paulidan; 05-31-2016 at 01:15 PM.
post #3861 of 5638 Old 05-31-2016, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

I have my Sierra Towers and Horizon Center in satin black and they are not reflective. I love how natural it looks as you can still see some of the wood grain and minor variations in the surface. It's totally beautiful.

Video: Benq HT2150ST Projector --> Silver Ticket 100" Fixed Screen
5.2 Audio: PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers/Horizon Center with RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM 200 SE (surrounds), Dual Rythmik F12 subs
post #3862 of 5638 Old 05-31-2016, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would go with the 3 Sierra 2s across the front and enjoy. When I ordered my Horizon it took 3 and half months for it to be delivered. To Dave and Dina's credit they made it clear up front when it would be ready and it was delivered when promised. That's the one negative about those bamboo cabinets and the need to keep inventory under control. Not complaining, quality before quantity any day. I love my Horizon, but would be happy with 3 2s, especially given the discount right now.

post #3863 of 5638 Old 05-31-2016, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post

Many thanks for the prompt response. I went ahead and ordered 2 pair of the satin expresso B stock Sierra 2's for surround duties.

post #3864 of 5638 Old 05-31-2016, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
I have my Sierra Towers and Horizon Center in satin black and they are not reflective. I love how natural it looks as you can still see some of the wood grain and minor variations in the surface. It's totally beautiful.

Thanks. It seems the least reflective option with the current sale is the satin expresso, so that's what I went with. I think all the finishes are beautiful, actually, but I have a dedicated dark home theater room and don't want the speakers to draw attention to themselves (except of course, via their excellent sound quality!)

post #3865 of 5638 Old 05-31-2016, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
Natural finish is just the natural bamboo color with clear coat so it would be yellowish

Your best bet for darkest finish would probably be satin espresso

Yes, satin expresso is what I went with. Not an exact match for the the Sierra 2's I have in the front end, but these will be for surround duties and shouldn't draw attention to themselves. Didn't think it was worth waiting for the Sierra mini's when these (with the B stock price) are very likely to be close to the mini's price with a perfect match to the fronts. Thanks for your input.

post #3866 of 5638 Old 05-31-2016, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone here has first hand experience with upgrading their Sierra-1 with either NrT kit or RAAL kit?

What did you do with the parts that's taken off after the upgrade? Does Ascend has some kind of buy back program for those parts?

post #3867 of 5638 Old 05-31-2016, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
Quote:
Anyone here has first hand experience with upgrading their Sierra-1 with either NrT kit or RAAL kit?

What did you do with the parts that's taken off after the upgrade? Does Ascend has some kind of buy back program for those parts?
I upgraded my Sierra-1s (2 of 3, bought used set where only the center had been upgraded before) to the NrT tweeter myself. I'm thinking still about the Raal upgrade. I think if you send the speakers to Ascend for the upgrade they merely keep the tweeters/crossovers, whereas you can keep them if you do it yourself. I've asked Dave if I can buy woofers and build my own cabinets for them and he said not a problem so eventually will do that with the crossovers/tweeters I have from the change.
post #3868 of 5638 Old 05-31-2016, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
I upgraded my Sierra-1s (2 of 3, bought used set where only the center had been upgraded before) to the NrT tweeter myself. I'm thinking still about the Raal upgrade. I think if you send the speakers to Ascend for the upgrade they merely keep the tweeters/crossovers, whereas you can keep them if you do it yourself. I've asked Dave if I can buy woofers and build my own cabinets for them and he said not a problem so eventually will do that with the crossovers/tweeters I have from the change.
SO, what's your take on stock tweeter vs NrT for Sierra-1?

I bought an used pair of Sierra-1 for my friend who wants to get into 2 channel music, his budget would allow NrT upgrade but not RAAL

I am familiar with Sierra-2 and Sierra Tower w/ RAAL and have spend some time listening to Sierra Tower w/ NrT, but I have never listened to the original Sierra-1 so it would be interesting later this week when I finally had the chance to demo the Sierra-1..

post #3869 of 5638 Old 05-31-2016, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would go with the 3 Sierra 2s across the front and enjoy. When I ordered my Horizon it took 3 and half months for it to be delivered. To Dave and Dina's credit they made it clear up front when it would be ready and it was delivered when promised. That's the one negative about those bamboo cabinets and the need to keep inventory under control. Not complaining, quality before quantity any day. I love my Horizon, but would be happy with 3 2s, especially given the discount right now.
That's definitely a possibility- and the most economical solution. Although it kind of frustrates the whole impetus of the upgrade which was specifically to get a premium, robust center. Dina didn't say the wait would be inordinately long to get it-just that they have to get through the backlog first, so I'm guessing a couple weeks. If I could get it by the end of the month, I'd be happy.

However as I'm getting caught up with this thread, I just got to the point where Healthnut got rid of his Horizon claiming the phantom center imaged better ?!? That kind of concerns me. I can't go phantom 'cause all seats are off axis. But I sure don't want to lay out a nearly $1K premium for something that won't even image as well as the lowly 170 I have now (which is actually quite good in that respect).

So much easier when there were just two models to choose from. Too many choices is paralyzing.
post #3870 of 5638 Old 05-31-2016, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
Quote:
SO, what's your take on stock tweeter vs NrT for Sierra-1?

I bought an used pair of Sierra-1 for my friend who wants to get into 2 channel music, his budget would allow NrT upgrade but not RAAL

I am familiar with Sierra-2 and Sierra Tower w/ RAAL and have spend some time listening to Sierra Tower w/ NrT, but I have never listened to the original Sierra-1 so it would be interesting later this week when I finally had the chance to demo the Sierra-1..
I'd say its a subtle difference; the original tweeter is no slouch but probably partly my older ears. You should be able to judge for yourself soon it sounds like. I'm playing with a pair of fairly new JBL 590s mostly. My next speaker upgrade are some xovers from Dennis Murphy for my Dayton BR-1 kit to see what his AA version is all about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page