***The Official Ascend Acoustics Sierra Thread*** - Page 141 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1075Likes

post #4201 of 5836 Old 09-06-2016, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomdh View Post
@pointothearro w @Jack1949 thanks for the comments. What amp/avr are you both using? Did you consider either of the philharmonic towers (also with RAAL)? What sub are you using?
I did not consider the philharmonic towers. I'm using a Yamaha RX-A3040 and SVS SB13 Ultra crossed over at 60hz.
Dunnie and chomdh like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 5836 Old 09-06-2016, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
So I am having myself my own private mini shootout...

Sierra 1's / Sierra 2's / Revel F35

Thank you @Theriddler07sms for allowing me to borrow your Sierra's! If you are able to stop by with them hooked up, I would love to get your thoughts on these as well.

I was looking at upgrading my office speakers (Baby Advents) and Theriddler07sms is letting me give his new speakers a test -extremely generous offer. In the mean time I got a hold of the Revels to put in the mix for auditioning.

Last edited by ndskurfer; 09-06-2016 at 09:28 PM.
post #4203 of 5836 Old 09-06-2016, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskurfer View Post

Thank you @Theriddler07sms for allowing me to borrow your Sierra's! If you are able to stop by with them hooked up, I would love to get your thoughts on these as well.

I was looking at upgrading my office speakers (Baby Advents) and Theriddler07sms is letting me give his new speakers a test -extremely generous offer. In the mean time I got a hold of the Revels to put in the mix for auditioning.
If I had available time I would have liked to join in on the shootout. However with my work/guard schedule I dont have any time. Enjoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4204 of 5836 Old 09-06-2016, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Would a Denon x4200 avr be a good choice to power sierra towers + horizon center? The $799 sale price is very attractive but I don't want to limit what these ascends are capable of! I don't think I want to spend more than $1,000 on the avr for a 3.1, later to be 5.1 or 5.2 system. I don't plan on an atmos setup in the near future.
post #4205 of 5836 Old 09-06-2016, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Would a Denon x4200 avr be a good choice to power sierra towers + horizon center? The $799 sale price is very attractive but I don't want to limit what these ascends are capable of! I don't think I want to spend more than $1,000 on the avr for a 3.1, later to be 5.1 or 5.2 system. I don't plan on an atmos setup in the near future.
The rating I see is 125 watts into 2 channels at 8 ohms. With the size of system you plan on I think that should be fine. Shouldn't have any problems. I'm using an Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 and it is pretty overkill, I probably use less than half of what it can do on a normal basis.

Also right at $999 you could go with Outlaw Audio processor and separate amp. It's a sweet combination. Little bit beefier amplification.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/975.html
chomdh likes this.

Video: Benq HT2150ST Projector --> Silver Ticket 100" Fixed Screen
5.2 Audio: PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers/Horizon Center with RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM 200 SE (surrounds), Dual Rythmik F12 subs

Last edited by sludgeogre; 09-06-2016 at 10:30 PM.
post #4206 of 5836 Old 09-06-2016, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

I have a Denon x4200w and I powered 3 Sierra 2s and 2 Sierra 2s just fine to -10 on the receiver. Towers have better sensitivity than the 2s I believe. It's a great receiver.
chomdh likes this.
post #4207 of 5836 Old 09-07-2016, 02:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 226
I went with x6200w because I need 9 channels amplification and have no room for additional external amp

If 7 channel is all you needed or if you have room for external amp, the x4200w is a great choice, especially with current $800 close out price

Speaking of NrT vs RAAL, here is my take

If your primary usage is for TV/Movie/HT, my bet is you will be more than satisfied with the Sierra Tower and Horizon and stock NrT tweeters

The NrT tweeter used by Ascend is really really good, it is one of the best soft dome tweeter I have ever heard

Actually, some might even prefer NrT over RAAL for HT since it will probably sound more dynamic and has more top end sparkle due to the fact dome can store more energy than ribbon

When does RAAL make sense?

1. If music performance is high on the list, IMO, incorporating RAAL tweeters on the design made Ascends speakers truly great, it also successfully created separation from other ID companies in term of pure performance (in my book, it's Ascend and Salk sound above everyone else in the ID market)

2. If you need greater clarity at lower volume, another great advantage for RAAL over dome is the clarity it delivers even at low to moderate volume

5.2.4 HT - Sony XBR75X850C, Denon X4400H, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX, C380LCR x4 and Martin Logan Descent I x2
2 Channel - Ascend Sierra Tower w/ RAAL, Sony HAP-Z1ES, Marantz SA-KI-Pearl, Primaluna Dialogue Three, Parasound Halo A21, JL Audio CR1, JL Audio E112 and ATS Acoustics room treatments
post #4208 of 5836 Old 09-07-2016, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
@pointothearro w @Jack1949 thanks for the comments. What amp/avr are you both using? Did you consider either of the philharmonic towers (also with RAAL)? What sub are you using?
I, like others here use the Denon avr x4200w. I think it's a great receiver and worth every bit of $799 if they have any left.
I'm running a 5.1.2 Atmos setup in my living room. I didn't consider the Philharmonics for aesthetic reasons (WAF), adn I don't think the Slims were an option when I was purchasing. Again, these are for the living room. Salk makes some wonderful speakers (sonically and aesthetically) as well, but the Horizon as a center was very appealing.
System as follows:
AVR--->Crown XLS 1500-----> LCR speakers
The crowns are probably not necessary due to high sensitivity of Ascends. I initially bought the amps to power different speakers (that would need the amplification). Anyhow, I have the ability to repurpose the amps for additional atmos speakers if needed and run the LCR with the AVR.
Sub = Mirage Prestige S10. This was a carry over from the previous house and helped save some money for the current build. It does the work for now, but I'll probably upgrade to something better in the future. If reaches down to ~26-29 Hz in my room. 22 Hz is barely audible.

let me know if you have any more questions. Cheers!
chomdh likes this.
post #4209 of 5836 Old 09-07-2016, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Talking

Quote:
so i am having myself my own private mini shootout...

sierra 1's / sierra 2's / revel f35

thank you @theriddler07sms for allowing me to borrow your sierra's! If you are able to stop by with them hooked up, i would love to get your thoughts on these as well.

I was looking at upgrading my office speakers (baby advents) and theriddler07sms is letting me give his new speakers a test -extremely generous offer. In the mean time i got a hold of the revels to put in the mix for auditioning.
i hate you!!!!!

VIDEO: Epson 5050UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Yamaha RX-A3080
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #4210 of 5836 Old 09-07-2016, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:

Are both sets of bookies rear ported?
Might need to swap positions for a fair fight if so.
post #4211 of 5836 Old 09-07-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Are both sets of bookies rear ported?
Might need to swap positions for a fair fight if so.

yes and yes. I have had to do lots of moving of speakers thus far, no worries on fairness. Before I brought home the revels, I spent a lot of time doing comparisons between the 2 sets of sierras. Now I am mainly comparing the sierra 2's vs the f35's. The Revels are slightly more efficient, so I have adjusted appropriately on the volume when moving between the f35 & sierras (2.5db). The other wildcard is the extension, so I am using w/ and w/o a sub.
Billy p likes this.
post #4212 of 5836 Old 09-07-2016, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriddler07sms View Post
I have a Denon x4200w and I powered 3 Sierra 2s and 2 Sierra 2s just fine to -10 on the receiver. Towers have better sensitivity than the 2s I believe. It's a great receiver.

So...5 Sierra 2s then?

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html
post #4213 of 5836 Old 09-07-2016, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Haha. My mistake. I had three Sierra 2s in LCR and two Sierra 1s as rears. Sent back the Sierra 2 center and have an NRT horizon that should be arriving today to test out.
cel4145 and ambesolman like this.
post #4214 of 5836 Old 09-07-2016, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked: 3176
Quote:
More then enough. I wish I could tell you I generated tons of headroom and the music all of sudden became clearer when I added my amps. Unfortunately as much as I try to convenience myself that pushing 200 watts to the front 3 Sierras made a huge improvement I can't. The one positive about buying an amp(s) was I finally got rid of that itch

Don't get me wrong, Outlaw and Emo to name a few make great amps, I own them both. Unless you need additional amplification like I did for Atmos or are looking to reduce the load on your receiver - the benefit of an amp would be one of those famous threads that have provoked strong opinions from "each side." This assumes of course that you don't have difficult to drive speakers. Great price on an receiver that gives you both Atmos and DTS:X should you decide to expand in the future.
chomdh likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #4215 of 5836 Old 09-07-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
More then enough. I wish I could tell you I generated tons of headroom and the music all of sudden became clearer when I added my amps. Unfortunately as much as I try to convenience myself that pushing 200 watts to the front 3 Sierras made a huge improvement I can't. The one positive about buying an amp(s) was I finally got rid of that itch

Don't get me wrong, Outlaw and Emo to name a few make great amps, I own them both. Unless you need additional amplification like I did for Atmos or are looking to reduce the load on your receiver - the benefit of an amp would be one of those famous threads that have provoked strong opinions from "each side." This assumes of course that you don't have difficult to drive speakers. Great price on an receiver that gives you both Atmos and DTS:X should you decide to expand in the future.
Good to know, thanks for the honest opinion.

I am curious to know what you think of the V1800 by itself. I think I'm going to start with one before adding a 2nd.
post #4216 of 5836 Old 09-07-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
I went with x6200w because I need 9 channels amplification and have no room for additional external amp

If 7 channel is all you needed or if you have room for external amp, the x4200w is a great choice, especially with current $800 close out price

Speaking of NrT vs RAAL, here is my take

If your primary usage is for TV/Movie/HT, my bet is you will be more than satisfied with the Sierra Tower and Horizon and stock NrT tweeters

The NrT tweeter used by Ascend is really really good, it is one of the best soft dome tweeter I have ever heard

Actually, some might even prefer NrT over RAAL for HT since it will probably sound more dynamic and has more top end sparkle due to the fact dome can store more energy than ribbon

When does RAAL make sense?

1. If music performance is high on the list, IMO, incorporating RAAL tweeters on the design made Ascends speakers truly great, it also successfully created separation from other ID companies in term of pure performance (in my book, it's Ascend and Salk sound above everyone else in the ID market)

2. If you need greater clarity at lower volume, another great advantage for RAAL over dome is the clarity it delivers even at low to moderate volume
Awesome feedback.
Also, I am under budget on my TV and AVR so I may go RAAL on LCR. Clarity at mid - low volume is appealing to me.
post #4217 of 5836 Old 09-07-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointothearro View Post
I, like others here use the Denon avr x4200w. I think it's a great receiver and worth every bit of $799 if they have any left.
I'm running a 5.1.2 Atmos setup in my living room. I didn't consider the Philharmonics for aesthetic reasons (WAF), adn I don't think the Slims were an option when I was purchasing. Again, these are for the living room. Salk makes some wonderful speakers (sonically and aesthetically) as well, but the Horizon as a center was very appealing.
System as follows:
AVR--->Crown XLS 1500-----> LCR speakers
The crowns are probably not necessary due to high sensitivity of Ascends. I initially bought the amps to power different speakers (that would need the amplification). Anyhow, I have the ability to repurpose the amps for additional atmos speakers if needed and run the LCR with the AVR.
Sub = Mirage Prestige S10. This was a carry over from the previous house and helped save some money for the current build. It does the work for now, but I'll probably upgrade to something better in the future. If reaches down to ~26-29 Hz in my room. 22 Hz is barely audible.

let me know if you have any more questions. Cheers!
How far from the wall should I place the sierra towers?
post #4218 of 5836 Old 09-07-2016, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Its either at least 6" or at least 12" I cannot remember. Why not try both and see what you like?
post #4219 of 5836 Old 09-07-2016, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked: 3176
Quote:
Good to know, thanks for the honest opinion.

I am curious to know what you think of the V1800 by itself. I think I'm going to start with one before adding a 2nd.
The v1800 is incredible. PSA makes great subs, but their customer service is second to none. I started out with SVS, as I'm sure you know Tom is the V. The PC12+ is a good sub, but the v1800 is a huge step forward.

Get on the phone or chat with Tom and discuss your options, he will give it to you straight and tell you if one of his 15 inch subs will work depending on your room etc. When I added the PSA with my Sierras I spent the whole weekend listening to music - 2.1. With the Sierras crossed at 80, coupled with the v1800 it sounded great. As for movies, excellent as well.

Only regret is that I didn't discover PSA a year earlier. Between Ascend and PSA no upgrade itch at all.
chomdh likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #4220 of 5836 Old 09-07-2016, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4797
Quote:
Try this http://david-janszen.squarespace.com...fect2015321and maybe this too http://noaudiophile.com/speakercalc/
post #4221 of 5836 Old 09-07-2016, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
The v1800 is incredible. PSA makes great subs, but their customer service is second to none. I started out with SVS, as I'm sure you know Tom is the V. The PC12+ is a good sub, but the v1800 is a huge step forward.

Get on the phone or chat with Tom and discuss your options, he will give it to you straight and tell you if one of his 15 inch subs will work depending on your room etc. When I added the PSA with my Sierras I spent the whole weekend listening to music - 2.1. With the Sierras crossed at 80, coupled with the v1800 it sounded great. As for movies, excellent as well.

Only regret is that I didn't discover PSA a year earlier. Between Ascend and PSA no upgrade itch at all.
I think he has a 4000 cubic foot basement. A couple of V1500s would tear that up!
smurraybhm likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #4222 of 5836 Old 09-07-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
I think he has a 4000 cubic foot basement. A couple of V1500s would tear that up!
I believe I have a stalker! ~4200ft^3.

Honestly, the amount of support and speed of answers/opinions on these forums is impressive.
post #4223 of 5836 Old 09-07-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I believe I have a stalker! ~4200ft^3.
You already forgot that I posted in your other thread? You even "liked" my post about steak vs. sushi. My feelings are hurt.

Just kidding

Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #4224 of 5836 Old 09-07-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
You already forgot that I posted in your other thread? You even "liked" my post about steak vs. sushi. My feelings are hurt.

Just kidding
Can I have steak AND sushi? AND BBQ?
post #4225 of 5836 Old 09-07-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Can I have steak AND sushi?
Do you have two rooms for different HT setups and twice the budget

post #4226 of 5836 Old 09-07-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Do you have two rooms for different HT setups and twice the budget
There's always the garage...
post #4227 of 5836 Old 09-07-2016, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked: 977
@ndskurfer

Which finish is on the sierras?

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html
post #4228 of 5836 Old 09-07-2016, 10:24 PM

I believe both pair are in espresso. They look great
ambesolman likes this.
post #4229 of 5836 Old 09-07-2016, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
@ndskurfer

Which finish is on the sierras?

Yes, they are both Satin Espresso
post #4230 of 5836 Old 09-09-2016, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post

took the words right out of my mouth.
i've been sleeping in the living room playing music 24x7, or close to 24x7.
my wife complained about vibration in the 2nd floor at night so i have to turn the volume really low, vocals is very very crystal clear at low volume.

i've had the speakers for i think more than 2 weeks now, playing close to 24x7, even if we leave the house my wife leaves it playing - this coming from someone that turns off the light everytime she gets out of a room. i've really learned to admire its clarity. my wife listens to music with heavy vocals like adele, christina perry - thousand years, john legend -all of me, ed sheeran...vocals are really impressive....but not impressive as metallica fade to black (you can really tell the instruments from each other), poison-every rose has its thorns, journey, aerosmith....

i'm telling you, with my old speakers i turn it off after maybe an hour or 2, but with this sierra/horizon i've been sleeping downstairs with the music on.

NO REGRETS!!!

i'll buy it again in a heartbeat, hell i'll rob my neighbor if i dont have money.

now the search for a better avr...

btw, i think this speaker is a lifetime keeper for me, my search for speakers has finally ended.
chomdh, kyzer soze and avfanatic1 like this.

Last edited by rysher; 09-09-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page