***The Official Ascend Acoustics Sierra Thread*** - Page 175 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1593Likes

post #5221 of 6162 Old 02-18-2019, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Which finish did you order? RAAL or NrT?
Enrico,

Despite being a forum lurker for >8 years, I don't have the post count to PM you.

I recently acquired a set of 3 Ascend Luna speakers used for front - right, left and horizontally positioned center. I have budget speakers as surrounds and 2 entry subs. Config is 5.1(mono)

In your footer, I noticed that you are running Ascend speakers (albeit Sierra-fronts & Luna-surround) with an Emotiva XMC-1 pro.

When I run DiracLE I get "ok" results (2 diff runs, no microphone clipping errors), but nothing earth-shattering as others have shared with their set ups compared to just basic speaker distance setup in XMC preset.

Can you comment on your set up:

• Are you using Dirac?
  • Which version LE or Full?
  • Any specific best-practices that made the difference for you when you ran Dirac?
Thanks for your time and feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 6162 Old 02-18-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4183 Post(s)
Liked: 5385
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02slowride View Post
Enrico,

Despite being a forum lurker for >8 years, I don't have the post count to PM you.

I recently acquired a set of 3 Ascend Luna speakers used for front - right, left and horizontally positioned center. I have budget speakers as surrounds and 2 entry subs. Config is 5.1(mono)

In your footer, I noticed that you are running Ascend speakers (albeit Sierra-fronts & Luna-surround) with an Emotiva XMC-1 pro.

When I run DiracLE I get "ok" results (2 diff runs, no microphone clipping errors), but nothing earth-shattering as others have shared with their set ups compared to just basic speaker distance setup in XMC preset.

Can you comment on your set up:

• Are you using Dirac?
  • Which version LE or Full?
  • Any specific best-practices that made the difference for you when you ran Dirac?
Thanks for your time and feedback.
I do use Dirac Live Full and I have a Cross Spectrum Labs UMIK-1 mic. I have all my speakers crossover set at 80Hz. The best thing about Dirac Live is that there is processing because before and after measurements show that but sonically, the speaker sound signature is not altered like Audyssey does. If you have Preset 1 setup in the right way and switch between Dirac and Preset 1, you should be able to notice a difference, not huge but the difference is there. That's the magic of Dirac. There is processing but the sound is natural and clean.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik G22 (x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #5223 of 6162 Old 02-18-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I do use Dirac Live Full and I have a Cross Spectrum Labs UMIK-1 mic. I have all my speakers crossover set at 80Hz. The best thing about Dirac Live is that there is processing because before and after measurements show that but sonically, the speaker sound signature is not altered like Audyssey does. If you have Preset 1 setup in the right way and switch between Dirac and Preset 1, you should be able to notice a difference, not huge but the difference is there. That's the magic of Dirac. There is processing but the sound is natural and clean.
Thanks for the quick feedback.

Did you by chance try DiracLE and/or the Dirac measurements using the original Emotiva supplied mic?

Essentially, I am attempting to determine if my results are limited by the difference in the mic or perhaps the greater customization enabled by Dirac Full.

Also, since you are the Rythmik Audio expert and I have noted from your footer "Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers":
  • Did you follow those verbatim with Dirac or did you employ some other sub specific setup?
  • Are you configured in your Emotiva as mono, dual mono or stereo subs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5224 of 6162 Old 02-18-2019, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02slowride View Post
Thanks for the quick feedback.

Did you by chance try DiracLE and/or the Dirac measurements using the original Emotiva supplied mic?

Essentially, I am attempting to determine if my results are limited by the difference in the mic or perhaps the greater customization enabled by Dirac Full.

Also, since you are the Rythmik Audio expert and I have noted from your footer "Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers":
  • Did you follow those verbatim with Dirac or did you employ some other sub specific setup?
  • Are you configured in your Emotiva as mono, dual mono or stereo subs?
I never tried Dirac LE or the Emotiva mic. If you own a Rythmik Audio subwoofer, you can use the setup guide on my signature for sure. I'm running a pair of F12SEs + FV25HP in the same room. I use a miniDSP 2x4 HD to consolidate, time align and EQ my subwoofers before Dirac. Then I show my three subwoofers to the XMC-1 as one mono subwoofer and run Dirac.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik G22 (x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #5225 of 6162 Old 02-19-2019, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Which finish did you order? RAAL or NrT?
sorry Enrico. Ive been out of this thread for a while.

Bamboo towers with Horizon , all Raal :-) They are out of Horizon Centers now , so loaned me a 340 center for now.

Also fv18 from Rythmic is on its way too.. looking forward for an epic weekend.
post #5226 of 6162 Old 02-19-2019, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Question for Sierra Luna owners ... Curious if the Luna can easily handle a standard 80Hz crossover? If not then what crossover are you using?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My neighbors all listen to great music. Whether they like it or not.
post #5227 of 6162 Old 02-21-2019, 08:06 AM

thanks you for your help in the thread. Need your suggestions to fill in any items I am missing to start enjoying the best sound quality.

by tomorrow , I will have the below setup, just want to know what else I am missing to be in sound nirvana

1. AVR ( Marantz SR 7012)
2. Sierra Ascend Towers ( Raal)
3. CMT-340 Center ( Loaner until I receive Horizon center )
4. FV 18 Rev 2 Ported SUB. ( Could get only one for now ( Back ordered until End of Feb) )

5. Apple Tv 4K
6. Epson 2045 Cinematic 1080P

6. Monoprice 12 Gauge wire
7. Banana Plugs

8. Macbook Air.
9. Tidal subscription.

want to know where to spend the remaining 1500 on ? Bluray player , satellite speakers, FV18 Sub?

Thank you again.

Kris

-- kris

Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, ? ? | FV18SW black oak grain finish Rev2 with paper cone driver | Marantz SR7012 | ATV 4K
| Epson 2045 cinematic Projector |
post #5228 of 6162 Old 02-21-2019, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 4919
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmeriser16 View Post
`
want to know where to spend the remaining 1500 on ? Bluray player , satellite speakers, FV18 Sub?

Thank you again.

Kris
Get TWO things. No reason to spend a lot of money on a blu ray player. Just get an inexpensive Sony(or other brand, I'm sure someone can give a good recommendation for an inexpensive blu ray player that will do an excellent job) and either get surround speakers or another subwoofer. Since the subwoofers are on back order, I'd get surrounds and a blu ray player now, and start saving for another Rythmik.

One blu ray player to look at might be the Sony UBP-X800. It is only a few hundred dollars, plays 4k, DVD Audio and SACD if you are interested in trying out multichannel music. Leaves about $1200 for surrounds.
mesmeriser16 likes this.
post #5229 of 6162 Old 02-21-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post
Question for Sierra Luna owners ... Curious if the Luna can easily handle a standard 80Hz crossover? If not then what crossover are you using?
I have my Lunas crossover set at 80Hz. They work pretty well.
sdg4vfx likes this.

post #5230 of 6162 Old 02-21-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 119
How are you planning on listening to Tidal and are you planning on using Tidal Masters (MQA)?

If so, might want to invest in a Dragonfly Black/Red if you plan on using your MacBook or another streaming player (Bluesound Node) if you plan on using your phone/tablet . Both of those will give you access to MQA, which to some is great and others hocus pocus.
mesmeriser16 likes this.
post #5231 of 6162 Old 02-21-2019, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 4919
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post
How are you planning on listening to Tidal and are you planning on using Tidal Masters (MQA)?

Both of those will give you access to MQA, which to some is great and others hocus pocus.
Without commenting specifically about MQA, it's possible to be both.
post #5232 of 6162 Old 02-21-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:

If so, might want to invest in a Dragonfly Black/Red if you plan on using your MacBook or another streaming player (Bluesound Node) if you plan on using your phone/tablet . Both of those will give you access to MQA, which to some is great and others hocus pocus.
@ballen420 AVR ( Marantz ) I was hoping HEOS would support MQA. However, best solution for me is something where I can download my music ( Indian instrumental ) which is not available on Tidal. Bluesound Node looks like it satisfies those requirements.

-- kris

Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, ? ? | FV18SW black oak grain finish Rev2 with paper cone driver | Marantz SR7012 | ATV 4K
post #5233 of 6162 Old 02-21-2019, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@ballen420 AVR ( Marantz ) I was hoping HEOS would support MQA. However, best solution for me is something where I can download my music ( Indian instrumental ) which is not available on Tidal. Bluesound Node looks like it satisfies those requirements.
I haven't purchased a CD since I got my Bluesound Node 2 two years ago. Between TIDAL HiFi and my music collection stored on my Synology NAS, I don't need CD player anymore. BlueOS is just great as you can make playlists with content combined between TIDAL, stored files, Spotify, etc. The Node 2 sound is just great.
mesmeriser16 likes this.

post #5234 of 6162 Old 02-21-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm with Enrico. I actually own 3 of them throughout my house. Two Powernodes and one Node. Excellent product... made even better with Roon.

The Powernodes run Sierra 2's quite nicely in secondary setups.

They just came out with their "i" series a few months ago which allows for Airplay 2. If you don't care about this, there's some great deals to be had on the prior models.
mesmeriser16 likes this.
post #5235 of 6162 Old 02-21-2019, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Rather than relying on Tidal/MQA with the requirement of a specialized DAC, etc. to play those files, I am currently trying out Qobuz with the available Hi-Res streaming files which are in the more common FLAC format and can be played through just about any decent DAC, up to 24-bit/192KHz.
ballen420 and mesmeriser16 like this.

HT - 5.2.2 ATMOS With: Klipsch DS Series In-wall/In-ceiling Speakers|2x Rythmik LV12F|Denon AVR-X3300W|Sony UBP-X800|Sony XBR-85X900F|AppleTV 4K
Music - 2.1: Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2EX|Rythmik 12" Sealed Direct Servo Sub|Adcom GFA-5500 With LX-Elite mod by Musical Concepts|Parasound Halo P5|Cambridge Audio ID100 Digital Dock|Audio by Van Alstine Humdinger
post #5236 of 6162 Old 02-21-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

How are you liking Qobuz? Forgot that was FLAC based.

I thought I read it is very classical focused and a little more expensive than Tidal. I don't know much about it, but once it's out of beta and available in the US, then I plan on giving it a spin.

I'm not a huge fan of Tidal, mainly their app, but love it with Roon/Bluesound. I wish Spotify would enter the HiFi market.
post #5237 of 6162 Old 02-21-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I haven't purchased a CD since I got my Bluesound Node 2 two years ago. Between TIDAL HiFi and my music collection stored on my Synology NAS, I don't need CD player anymore. BlueOS is just great as you can make playlists with content combined between TIDAL, stored files, Spotify, etc. The Node 2 sound is just great.

I am more leaning to the Bluesound Node route. The music I listen to is not available on Tidal, Qobuz .. which I have to buy and download the tracks..

-- kris

post #5238 of 6162 Old 02-21-2019, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:

I thought I read it is very classical focused and a little more expensive than Tidal. I don't know much about it, but once it's out of beta and available in the US, then I plan on giving it a spin.

I'm not a huge fan of Tidal, mainly their app, but love it with Roon/Bluesound. I wish Spotify would enter the HiFi market.
I have been streaming Tidal HI-FI for several years and like it. I have never been able to try the MQA stuff since I stream from my mobile Apple device via a digital dock that sends the digital bitstream to the dac in my preamp to handle the decoding. MQA is not available on the Tidal mobile app.

Qobuz does allow playback of their 24-bit Hi Res files using the mobile app, so big score in my mind. Unfortunately, I sent my amp in for some refreshing/updating just before Qobuz invited me to join the Beta test so I have only been able to listen through cheap headphones. It seems to sound very good but I will be able to better compare to Tidal once my system is fully running, which could be another 3 weeks.
post #5239 of 6162 Old 02-21-2019, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
I have my Lunas crossover set at 80Hz. They work pretty well.
The same and I concur.
sdg4vfx likes this.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
HT Set-up: Yamaha RX-A2060; Sierra 2-EX LR, Duo LCR,; Luna surrounds, Dual Rythmik F12s
Desktop Set-up: Yamaha RX-A2060; Ascend Luna's; Polk TL1 Center; Rythmik LV12R
post #5240 of 6162 Old 02-21-2019, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Get TWO things. No reason to spend a lot of money on a blu ray player. Just get an inexpensive Sony(or other brand, I'm sure someone can give a good recommendation for an inexpensive blu ray player that will do an excellent job) and either get surround speakers or another subwoofer. Since the subwoofers are on back order, I'd get surrounds and a blu ray player now, and start saving for another Rythmik.

Yup, this. I was truly impressed by how much difference surrounds make if you listen to HT at all. And the sound quality from a Blu-ray player (DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, etc.) is always better than streaming -- lossless is always better than compressed. This seems to be especially true of the deep bottom end, which if you have an FV18, you are clearly interested in.

And do save up for a matching FV18; small rooms really benefit from two subs to help control room modes. Just sayin'.
drh3b likes this.
post #5241 of 6162 Old 02-21-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Wow....I really enjoy my system. Just can't bring myself to spending money on more software or transport systems ie: Tidal or Roon Labs.....which I really liked while on the trial bases....since most of my music is on WAV format..guess, I'm purdy lucky my room is forgiving and SQ is great...or perhaps just better to not know what I'm missing.... ignorance is bliss in this hobby...I suppose.
mesmeriser16 likes this.

Ascend Acoustics: Towers, STC w RAAL & 200 SE in espresso,
65" LG OLED C9, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo 103D,
Sub: Funk Audio 18: (Santos Rosewood)
Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!
post #5242 of 6162 Old 02-21-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post
Wow....I really enjoy my system. Just can't bring myself to spending money on more software or transport systems ie: Tidal or Roon Labs.....which I really liked while on the trial bases....since most of my music is on WAV format..guess, I'm purdy lucky my room is forgiving and SQ is great...or perhaps just better to not know what I'm missing.... ignorance is bliss in this hobby...I suppose.

I do agree with you. Ignorance is bliss.

loved the proverb in your signature .:-)
Billy p likes this.

-- kris

post #5243 of 6162 Old 02-21-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Quote:
I do agree with you. Ignorance is bliss.

loved the proverb in your signature .:-)
Thanks...yea...that tiny saying really hit home...hence it's use...thou with my kids now hitting their late teens I really wonder what for....

Ascend Acoustics: Towers, STC w RAAL & 200 SE in espresso,
65" LG OLED C9, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo 103D,
Sub: Funk Audio 18: (Santos Rosewood)
Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!
post #5244 of 6162 Old 02-23-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post
I have my Lunas for front soundstage (R / L / C).

In my initial configuration they were fed full range. I needed to do this to feed via an RCA splitter the bass frequencies to my subs. In this config, I was pleasantly surprised how they handled the full range. While they do not reproduce low frequencies (<60 hz), as indicated in their specs; they also didn't distort the low end when fed full range.

I have since changed my processor, allowing me greater bass management. Now the Lunas are crossed over at 80hz, as others have also mentioned. This works very well.

Good luck and happy listening.
sdg4vfx likes this.
post #5245 of 6162 Old 02-23-2019, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Anything better than Sierra 2

Probably a foolish question on this thread, but is there any better bookshelf speaker out there than the Sierra 2 for a combo 50/50 Home theater and music setup ? Max budget around $2750 for L/C/R. Also, which is best center channel for dialog ?
post #5246 of 6162 Old 02-23-2019, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2005 Post(s)
Liked: 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyora View Post
Probably a foolish question on this thread, but is there any better bookshelf speaker out there than the Sierra 2 for a combo 50/50 Home theater and music setup ? Max budget around $2750 for L/C/R. Also, which is best center channel for dialog ?

There’s no such thing as a definitive “better” speaker as this whole hobby is subjective.

You’ll have to listen to know which one is better to you.

But I’d take a look at Revel, possibly Kef Reference. Go have yourself a listen, perhaps you’ll find that some $1000 pair of bookshelves sound better to you than your S2’s.

Good luck

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #5247 of 6162 Old 02-23-2019, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyora View Post
If you already have Sierra 2 I would order a pair of Revel M16 and compare them, if you can do it blind that would be even better.
post #5248 of 6162 Old 02-25-2019, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:

When it works, it works. In terms of sound quality, I really like it. For that matter, I liked Tidal too. But I thought I could sometimes depict a (small?) difference between Tidal Hi-Fi and my own FLAC CD rips... I'm not saying anything "big," sometimes I thought it was maybe as benign as Tidal bumped the gain up even just a little bit? Sometimes I thought I could clearly hear the "watermarks" that some people complain about; sometimes I'd go listen to specific tracks that were being highlighted as "watermarked" and I couldn't hear it/find it. Qobuz, so-far-and-to-me, sounds identical to my FLAC files. I can't tell them apart. And I like that.

But Qobuz is glitchy/inconsistent when "casting" from my phone to my whole-home-setup of Chromecast Audios. And at work, the Firefox web player does bizarre things like skipping every other track if I don't hit "play" on the whole album but instead tell it to start anywhere other than Track 1. Bizarre/glitchy "beta" behavior that I hope they get cleaned up.
post #5249 of 6162 Old 02-25-2019, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Does anybody on here have a horizontally-oriented Sierra-2?.

If so, could you take a measurement for me? I'd like to know the distance, from the "top" of the cabinet (if on it's side, for use as a Center Channel), to the bottom of the ribbon tweeter...

I've got a bit of an odd-ball placement limitation, and I think that dimension will be key to my ability to go this route.

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Ascend HTM-200SE Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 & LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; JBL Studio 530 L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA, Pi running Ropieee.
post #5250 of 6162 Old 02-25-2019, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
Does anybody on here have a horizontally-oriented Sierra-2?.

If so, could you take a measurement for me? I'd like to know the distance, from the "top" of the cabinet (if on it's side, for use as a Center Channel), to the bottom of the ribbon tweeter...

I've got a bit of an odd-ball placement limitation, and I think that dimension will be key to my ability to go this route.
Just measured for you, the dimension you are looking for is ~ 4.75"

Hope this helps!
psuKinger likes this.

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page