***The Official Ascend Acoustics Sierra Thread*** - Page 177 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 801Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5281 of 5398 Old 03-17-2019, 04:54 AM
Member
 
deafenears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Sierra-1 Lunas

@Ascend , any plans of developing or offering a version of the Sierra-1s similar in size as the Sierra Lunas?
deafenears is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5282 of 5398 Old 03-17-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,726
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafenears View Post
@Ascend , any plans of developing or offering a version of the Sierra-1s similar in size as the Sierra Lunas?


I think there was talk of possibly offering their other tweeters in the lunas, but nothing definitive.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html
ambesolman is online now  
post #5283 of 5398 Old 03-17-2019, 04:19 PM
Member
 
bcg27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post


Hello, thought I'd join this thread.

No matter what I look at, I end up coming back around to Sierra Towers with the RAAL tweeter.

I know of a lot of options below and up to their price point, which is fairly unique it seems.

To get a better idea of where they sit in the marketplace of speakers, say you owned these and were looking to upgrade. What do you think is the next step up...enough to be worth the trouble of upgrading?
The individual I purchased mine from on the used market bought Spendor D9s.
Soulburner likes this.
bcg27 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5284 of 5398 Old 03-21-2019, 06:05 AM
Senior Member
 
MTVhike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I was browsing the Towers thread, and saw many mentions of the NrTs, but no mention in the website. That thread also ended in 2006, so maybe it's a discontinued product. How does the Sierra Tower with the Raal upgrade compare with the Salk Song Tower RT, at about the same price? If I were to get either of these, I wouldn't be able to afford a sub, but would that be important (for a classical music-only two channel system)?
MTVhike is offline  
post #5285 of 5398 Old 03-21-2019, 07:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg27 View Post
The individual I purchased mine from on the used market bought Spendor D9s.

So, over 3x the price of the Sierra Towers.
Eddy_Z is offline  
post #5286 of 5398 Old 03-21-2019, 08:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Bruce Watson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central NC
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
If I were to get either of these, I wouldn't be able to afford a sub, but would that be important (for a classical music-only two channel system)?
There is very little acoustical music below around 30-40 Hz with a couple of interesting exceptions. The lowest note on a pipe organ with 32' pipes is 16 Hz. And the lowest note on a standard 88 key piano is 27.5 Hz. How many keyboard pieces actually use that bottom key? Not many. But a fair number of pipe organ pieces (or players anyway) make use of those low organ notes, and they tend to do it at high power output. So... much depends on how much you love your pipe organ music.

That said, what a sub (or a pair of subs to help control room modes in smaller listening rooms) with a reasonable xover (say, 80 Hz) does, is unload the bass drivers on your mains. Having off-loaded the heavy lifting to the subs, the resulting sound from your mains is typically cleaner all the way up into the mids.

For your purposes (classical music) I doubt you will feel the need for subs; the towers should cover you. At least until you save up enough money for a pair of Rythmik L12s.
BluesDaddy56 likes this.
Bruce Watson is offline  
post #5287 of 5398 Old 03-21-2019, 08:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Captain Crunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Taylors SC
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Glad to join the Sierra brotherhood. Just ordered a pair of espresso sierra -2's yesterday. I have a compleate svs setup now but wanted something better for my music listening needs.

I think they will match up very well to my music listing style. Mostly Soundtracks, classical and jazz .
Anyway just wanted to drop in and say hello.......

SVS system 3X SCS-01s L-R & C, / 2X sbs-01s surrounds / 20-39pci sub.. AVR Pioneer - VSX-831
Captain Crunch is offline  
post #5288 of 5398 Old 03-21-2019, 12:16 PM
Senior Member
 
kma100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hoboken
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
I was browsing the Towers thread, and saw many mentions of the NrTs, but no mention in the website. That thread also ended in 2006, so maybe it's a discontinued product. How does the Sierra Tower with the Raal upgrade compare with the Salk Song Tower RT, at about the same price? If I were to get either of these, I wouldn't be able to afford a sub, but would that be important (for a classical music-only two channel system)?
The NrT towers are on the website (assume you are asking about the towers).

Standard finish options and pricing:
Tweeter = NrT dome
Black Matte: $1998/pr includes black matte base
Satin Espresso: $2098/pr includes satin black base
Satin Dark Cherry: $2098/pr includes satin black base
Satin Black Bamboo: $2098/pr satin black base
Natural: $2098/pr includes satin black base
kma100 is offline  
post #5289 of 5398 Old 03-22-2019, 06:28 AM
Senior Member
 
MTVhike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by kma100 View Post
The NrT towers are on the website (assume you are asking about the towers).

Standard finish options and pricing:
Tweeter = NrT dome
Black Matte: $1998/pr includes black matte base
Satin Espresso: $2098/pr includes satin black base
Satin Dark Cherry: $2098/pr includes satin black base
Satin Black Bamboo: $2098/pr satin black base
Natural: $2098/pr includes satin black base
OK, I found it. The NrT is the standard tweeter for the Sierra Tower, I just hadn't read the fine print. I am frequently in the dark with people using abbreviations which I can't decipher. Thanks.
MTVhike is offline  
post #5290 of 5398 Old 03-22-2019, 11:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Lansing Mi
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Fellow SIerra Tower with RAAL owners,



HOw much of a difference does adding an amplifier make ?

-- kris

Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, ? ? | FV18SW black oak grain finish Rev2 with paper cone driver | Marantz SR7012 | ATV 4K
| Epson 2045 cinematic Projector |
mesmeriser16 is offline  
post #5291 of 5398 Old 03-22-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 4,152
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1274
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmeriser16 View Post
HOw much of a difference does adding an amplifier make ?
Compared to powering them with...?
mesmeriser16 and BluesDaddy56 like this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Soulburner is online now  
post #5292 of 5398 Old 03-22-2019, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
xcjago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Harbor City, CA
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmeriser16 View Post
Fellow SIerra Tower with RAAL owners,



HOw much of a difference does adding an amplifier make ?
The Sierra Towers can handle quite a bit of power, 300 watts continuous and 500 peak. So I would say a power amplifier would definitely be useful over a regular receiver if you like to play it loud and dynamic.
mesmeriser16 likes this.
xcjago is offline  
post #5293 of 5398 Old 03-23-2019, 06:09 AM
Member
 
bcg27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmeriser16 View Post
Fellow SIerra Tower with RAAL owners,



HOw much of a difference does adding an amplifier make ?
If your seating position is far away or you like to play very loud then you could definitely gain 3-6 dB of volume going from a receiver to a powerful amp. As far as sound quality, that is a matter of personal preference.
mesmeriser16 likes this.
bcg27 is offline  
post #5294 of 5398 Old 03-23-2019, 10:58 PM
Member
 
deafenears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Lunas with dome tweeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
I think there was talk of possibly offering their other tweeters in the lunas, but nothing definitive.
Thanks, I found the answer on their forums:

"""
After checking, we can do this now with the standard Sierra-1 tweeter. I was concerned about the necessary crossover mods as there is absolutely zero free space in the Luna cabinet but I am confident we can make it work.

If we swap the ribbon tweeter for the Sierra-1 tweeter, we can offer a pair of Luna's for $988/pair. That isn't too much of a price difference as the woofer and cabinet are very expensive, but it does bring the cost down to under $1K for a pair...
"""

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...0347#post60347
ambesolman likes this.
deafenears is offline  
post #5295 of 5398 Old 03-24-2019, 06:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Lansing Mi
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Compared to powering them with...?

As compared to powering with Marantz 7012 receiver. :-)

-- kris

Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, ? ? | FV18SW black oak grain finish Rev2 with paper cone driver | Marantz SR7012 | ATV 4K
| Epson 2045 cinematic Projector |
mesmeriser16 is offline  
post #5296 of 5398 Old 03-24-2019, 07:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Lansing Mi
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg27 View Post
If your seating position is far away or you like to play very loud then you could definitely gain 3-6 dB of volume going from a receiver to a powerful amp. As far as sound quality, that is a matter of personal preference.

Thank you @Soulburner @bcg27 @xcjago


My MLP is about 10 ft from the towers. I am struggling to experience the sound stage which I got when I placed them closer to me 4 ft from MLP and 6 ft away from back wall. Obviously wifey is shocked to see the towers in the middle of the hall.


I was thinking if I can get the same sound stage with them being 2 ft away from the back wall instead of 6ft and 8 ft apart when I add an amplifier to my AVR ( assuming towers are equidistant from side walls. (3.4 ft) )
Also, can someone explain what people mean when they talk about "Dynamic Range" ?


once the towers arrived, I more into music now. like 90% :-( . I probably should have gone for dual sealed Fv18) Ported Fv18 is humongous and Wifey is against getting the second one.
xcjago likes this.

-- kris

Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, ? ? | FV18SW black oak grain finish Rev2 with paper cone driver | Marantz SR7012 | ATV 4K
| Epson 2045 cinematic Projector |
mesmeriser16 is offline  
post #5297 of 5398 Old 03-24-2019, 11:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 4,152
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1274
Unfortunately sound stage is not going to be affected by the amplifier. That's all about speaker and placement. I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

Keep the wife happy, if you can.
Vergiliusm likes this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Soulburner is online now  
post #5298 of 5398 Old 03-24-2019, 11:19 PM
Member
 
telon175's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I hear a lot of good things said about Dirac but from what I read you can not run 2 subs with Dirac, if that is true that leaves me with my Marantz 8012 or what ever it is it can run two subs. if there is a good way to run two subs with Dirac I would like to try it.
telon175 is offline  
post #5299 of 5398 Old 03-25-2019, 03:56 AM
Member
 
bcg27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by telon175 View Post
I hear a lot of good things said about Dirac but from what I read you can not run 2 subs with Dirac, if that is true that leaves me with my Marantz 8012 or what ever it is it can run two subs. if there is a good way to run two subs with Dirac I would like to try it.
I'm pretty sure I've read some posts by @enricoclaudio where he talks about putting something in front of Dirac to combine his subs into a single 'virtual' sub and then presenting that to Dirac. I don't remember the specifics but maybe he'll chime in or try PMing him.
bcg27 is offline  
post #5300 of 5398 Old 03-25-2019, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 4,152
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1274
Most Dirac enabled receivers, processors, amps, have one sub channel.

The solution to multi-sub use is to get a miniDSP 2X4.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Soulburner is online now  
post #5301 of 5398 Old 03-29-2019, 05:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: St Joseph MO
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Is the nrt tweeter on the Sierra tower interchangeable with the Sierra 1 bookshelf?
AverageJoseph is offline  
post #5302 of 5398 Old 03-30-2019, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Billy p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA (Greater Toronto Area)
Posts: 1,800
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoseph View Post
Is the nrt tweeter on the Sierra tower interchangeable with the Sierra 1 bookshelf?
Nrt is listed as an upgrade for the Sierra1. As with the entire Sierra line up...Dave strives...iirc....to ensure all tweeters share a common faceplate to allow customers a future upgrade path...if they choose....the lone exception comes with the RAAL 70x20...used in the Sierra Tower...due to its larger housing...it's best to be refitted by Ascend...thou if able.... videos are available.

Here is a link to your question...

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...ons-with-video!

Ascend Acoustics: Towers, STC w RAAL & 200 SE in espresso,
54" of Panny Bliss, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo 103D,
Sub: Funk Audio 18: (Santos Rosewood)
Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!
Billy p is online now  
post #5303 of 5398 Old 03-30-2019, 06:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: St Joseph MO
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post
Nrt is listed as an upgrade for the Sierra1. As with the entire Sierra line up...Dave strives...iirc....to ensure all tweeters share a common faceplate to allow customers a future upgrade path...if they choose....the lone exception comes with the RAAL 70x20...used in the Sierra Tower...due to its larger housing...it's best to be refitted by Ascend...thou if able.... videos are available.

Here is a link to your question...

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...ons-with-video!

Thank you for answering my question.
AverageJoseph is offline  
post #5304 of 5398 Old 03-30-2019, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ascend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 810
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoseph View Post
Is the nrt tweeter on the Sierra tower interchangeable with the Sierra 1 bookshelf?

No... not at all. While our standard Sierra-1 tweeter and our NrT share the same faceplate and will fit into the same cutouts, that is the only characteristic they share. The 2 tweeters have completely different magnet assemblies, voice coils and formers - their performance is very different. One cannot swap one tweeter for another without also using the appropriate crossover for that particular tweeter. In other words, you absolutely can not use the standard Sierra-1 tweeter in our tower and if you wish to use the NrT in the Sierra-1, you must also use the Sierra-1 NrT crossover.


Hope this is understood...

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

Ascend is offline  
post #5305 of 5398 Old 04-04-2019, 06:21 PM
Senior Member
 
wiggindude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am in the market for a pair of tower and the Sierra tower is in consideration. They are rated at 4 ohms and I plan on using my current receiver Pioneer VSX-1018AH which is rated at 8 ohms. Would this work? This is just for casual listening, not a loud level.
wiggindude is offline  
post #5306 of 5398 Old 04-05-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
xcjago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Harbor City, CA
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggindude View Post
I am in the market for a pair of tower and the Sierra tower is in consideration. They are rated at 4 ohms and I plan on using my current receiver Pioneer VSX-1018AH which is rated at 8 ohms. Would this work? This is just for casual listening, not a loud level.
I believe that would be fine. In the Sierra tower specs it says compatible wiith "8, 6, and 4 ohm rated amps and receivers" But it would be best to ask Ascend Acoustics directly on the phone or by e-mail.
xcjago is offline  
post #5307 of 5398 Old 04-15-2019, 04:41 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
How do the Sierra Towers with Raal
compare to the Monitor Audio Gold 200s? I was at Axpona over the weekend and heard the Gold 200s. I have a problem with sensitivity to high range treble and AMT and ribbon tweeters usually fit my listening preferences best. The Monitor Audio Gold 200s 5th Gen really hit a sweet spot for me but the Sierra Towers have really been a curiosity to me.

Anyone have any experience comparing Monitor Audio Golds with AMTs and Sierra Towers with Raals?
Stranger_in_the_Alps is offline  
post #5308 of 5398 Old 04-15-2019, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Billy p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA (Greater Toronto Area)
Posts: 1,800
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger_in_the_Alps View Post
How do the Sierra Towers with Raal
compare to the Monitor Audio Gold 200s? I was at Axpona over the weekend and heard the Gold 200s. I have a problem with sensitivity to high range treble and AMT and ribbon tweeters usually fit my listening preferences best. The Monitor Audio Gold 200s 5th Gen really hit a sweet spot for me but the Sierra Towers have really been a curiosity to me.

Anyone have any experience comparing Monitor Audio Golds with AMTs and Sierra Towers with Raals?
Not quite apples to apples...but some insight.... nonetheless. iirc...he's owns both now.
@justthinking

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...2086882?page=1

Ascend Acoustics: Towers, STC w RAAL & 200 SE in espresso,
54" of Panny Bliss, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo 103D,
Sub: Funk Audio 18: (Santos Rosewood)
Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!

Last edited by Billy p; 04-15-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Billy p is online now  
post #5309 of 5398 Old 04-16-2019, 06:38 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post
Not quite apples to apples...but some insight.... nonetheless. iirc...he's owns both now.
@justthinking

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...2086882?page=1
Thank you! Checking it out now.
Stranger_in_the_Alps is offline  
post #5310 of 5398 Old 04-30-2019, 05:42 PM
Member
 
madrac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Placed an order for the Towers with RAAL last week. Will move my current S2's to surround duty.
xcjago, Soulburner and audiophool like this.
madrac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off