***The Official Ascend Acoustics Sierra Thread*** - Page 178 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 799Likes

post #5311 of 5392 Old 04-30-2019, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1471 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrac View Post
Placed an order for the Towers with RAAL last week. Will move my current S2's to surround duty.

Congrats! What finish did you get them in?

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 5392 Old 05-03-2019, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Guys,

A)

I received my towers (raal) in February with a loaner 340 C as they dint have Horizon center with Raal in stock at the time.
They are finally in stock and will be delivered next week.

all this while , I have watched pretty good UHD movies. I am blown away by some ( sicario, edge of tomorrow , Ready player one etc ) .
With the Horizon addition, how much "upgrade" will I be noticing. anyone ? pretty pumped to complete my set up.

B)

I am currently using my bose acoustimas speakers as surrounds , any recommendations on the surrounds which will take my experience a notch ?

C)

Does anyone have svs prime elevations speakers for their atmos setup ? how did it integrate with the Ascend /Rythmik setup ?

thanks a bunch.

-- kris

Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, ? ? | FV18SW black oak grain finish Rev2 with paper cone driver | Marantz SR7012 | ATV 4K
| Epson 2045 cinematic Projector |
post #5313 of 5392 Old 05-03-2019, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmeriser16 View Post
I am currently using my bose acoustimas speakers as surrounds , any recommendations on the surrounds which will take my experience a notch ?

C)

Does anyone have svs prime elevations speakers for their atmos setup ? how did it integrate with the Ascend /Rythmik setup ?

thanks a bunch.

The answer to both your questions is Ascend Acoustics biggest hidden secret: The HTM-200SE. It's basically a THX Select speaker without the label:

Sealed: CHECK
Goes below 80Hz: CHECK
Excellent Dynamic Range: CHECK

I also had Bose Acoustimass surround speakers and wanted to upgrade, but really didn't want something too big. The HTM-200SEs were the best solution in a smaller speaker and it wasn't even close. I even A/B tested them against other speakers of the same basic size and price. I also took them apart to look inside and the quality and heft of the drivers including the tweeter is amazing. It's crazy they crammed all that in that tiny little box.

When ceiling mounted, they take up about the same space as the SVS Prime Elevations, have more dynamic range, match your other Ascends better acoustically and will be physically more adjustable with the correct mounts.

The hardest part was finding good wall and ceiling mounts. I tried a bunch, and the B-Tech/Pinpoint ones were by far the most solid and best. You may have to search around for them.
Ceiling mount: Pinpoint AM25 and the B-Tech BT34 (both of which seems to be discontinued, but you can still find them on Ebay and Amazon sometimes).

Wall mount AND ceiling mount: The Pinpoint AM26 (it's simply a newer version of the AM25 above that has ceiling and wall mounting options)

The thing I really like about these mounts is once tightened down, they do not move or sag. I've had mine up for many years, smacked into them multiple times. Rock solid.

Here is a picture of my HTM-200SE's where you can see them mounted in the Wide and Atmos Ceiling positions pointing at the main listening position (those are Ascend 340SE's up front):

I always like to tell people about the HTM-200SE's because I feel they are criminally unmentioned considering all their amazing traits for home theater applications.
xcjago and Soulburner like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5314 of 5392 Old 05-03-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1471 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew View Post
The answer to both your questions is Ascend Acoustics biggest hidden secret: The HTM-200SE. It's basically a THX Select speaker without the label:

I also had Bose Acoustimass surround speakers and wanted to upgrade, but really didn't want something too big. The HTM-200SEs were the best solution in a smaller speaker and it wasn't even close. I even A/B tested them against other speakers of the same basic size and price. I also took them apart to look inside and the quality and heft of the drivers including the tweeter is amazing. It's crazy they crammed all that in that tiny little box.

When ceiling mounted, they take up about the same space as the SVS Prime Elevations, have more dynamic range, match your other Ascends better acoustically and will be physically more adjustable with the correct mounts.

The hardest part was finding good wall and ceiling mounts. I tried a bunch, and the B-Tech/Pinpoint ones were by far the most solid and best. You may have to search around for them.
Ceiling mount: Pinpoint AM25 and the B-Tech BT34 (both of which seems to be discontinued, but you can still find them on Ebay and Amazon sometimes).

Wall mount AND ceiling mount: The Pinpoint AM26 (it's simply a newer version of the AM25 above that has ceiling and wall mounting options)

The thing I really like about these mounts is once tightened down, they do not move or sag. I've had mine up for many years, smacked into them multiple times. Rock solid.

Here is a picture of my HTM-200SE's where you can see them mounted in the Wide and Atmos Ceiling positions pointing at the main listening position (those are Ascend 340SE's up front):

I always like to tell people about the HTM-200SE's because I feel they are criminally unmentioned considering all their amazing traits for home theater applications.

Your theater looks absolutely stunning!

Ascend Acoustics in every corner of a room makes me smile.

Thanks for sharing your input on this, I’ll be sure to quote it when making recommendations.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #5315 of 5392 Old 05-03-2019, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:

Your theater looks amazing!

Yeah, our 200's are one of those true hidden gems and they don't get too much coverage out there and that is entirely my fault. I priced these speakers completely wrong - they should be in the $400 per pair range, the component quality (including a fully custom SEAS tweeter) is simply unmatched at this range. We have also never raised the price on these, and now we are down to a 28% profit margin on these based just on component costs. Since we barely make a profit on these, I prefer to avoid promoting them. At some point, we are going to either have to raise the pricing or figure out a way to manufacture them at a lower cost (which would mean sacrificing some performance)

I should probably discuss this on our forum as I am curious what our customers would suggest.
xcjago, S_rangeBrew and sdg4vfx like this.

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #5316 of 5392 Old 05-03-2019, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmeriser16 View Post

C)

thanks a bunch.

Woah !! Thank you for the great info !
Your theatre looks awesome!

-- kris

Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, ? ? | FV18SW black oak grain finish Rev2 with paper cone driver | Marantz SR7012 | ATV 4K
| Epson 2045 cinematic Projector |
post #5317 of 5392 Old 05-04-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1242
One way forward and to avoid a price increase on the current HTM-200 could be to introduce a new model. I would like to see one with a passive radiator on one of the sides. This could extend its bass capabilities without increasing its size. Put that model out with a reasonable premium and a better margin, and you'd have a winner.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #5318 of 5392 Old 05-05-2019, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Congrats! What finish did you get them in?

Thanks. Satin Black Bamboo..same as my Sierra 2's which will likely move to surround duty.

Agree with the above about the HTM200SE's -- currently using these as surrounds and ATMOS heights

Last edited by madrac; 05-05-2019 at 10:54 AM.
post #5319 of 5392 Old 05-05-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1991 Post(s)
Liked: 2149
Are there any owners here of the Sierra with the diamond tweeters?

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #5320 of 5392 Old 05-06-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

@S_rangeBrew Can you elaborate a bit more on the sound differences between them and the SVS Prime Elevations? And any other speakers you compared them to? Thanks.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)

Last edited by Soulburner; 05-06-2019 at 05:03 PM.
post #5321 of 5392 Old 05-06-2019, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Are there any owners here of the Sierra with the diamond tweeters?
The only owner I know of is Asliang on the ascendacoustics.com forum.
See http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...9706#post59706
post #5322 of 5392 Old 05-09-2019, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just received my CBM-170 SE speakers to replace my ancient 3.1 logitech setup for my PC. I also got a Micca OriGain DAC - hooked everything up last night and it sounds amazing! The speakers look a little silly on my desk next to my monitors since I'm used to a tiny 3" driver, but I'll get over it.

Pardon the clutter of a setup that is my monitors right now, but is there any recommendations you guys would have off hand? Would moving the center and right monitors back enough so that the right speaker could sit on the same level as the left make a difference?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190508_215605_1557427827417.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	3.40 MB
ID:	2564656  

TV: LG OLED65C8PUA
Front L & R/Center: Sierra-2/Sierra-2 center
Front Highs/Surrounds: Polk RTi A3/Polk RTi A1
Receiver/Blu-ray: Marantz SR6012/Oppo 203-D
Subwoofer: Rythmik FV15HP w/ miniDSP 2x4 HD

Last edited by MrGuru; 05-09-2019 at 12:16 PM.
post #5323 of 5392 Old 05-16-2019, 03:52 PM

My towers ship tomorrow!
post #5324 of 5392 Old 05-16-2019, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1679 Post(s)
Liked: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrac View Post
My towers ship tomorrow!
And I'm jealous.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
psuKinger likes this.
post #5325 of 5392 Old 05-20-2019, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post
Yeah, our 200's are one of those true hidden gems
Dave, that's an epic understatement. I bought a pair of these for an application where I had more space horizontally than vertically and just wanted decent speakers to fill the space, so I just bought a pair.

When I fired them up, what a pleasant surprise! I mean, no, they're not Sierras or anything, but for a $300 pair of speakers these are incredible. (Unless you want a lot of bass, but what do you expect from 4" drivers in a sealed speaker?)

Quote:
I priced these speakers completely wrong - they should be in the $400 per pair range, the component quality (including a fully custom SEAS tweeter) is simply unmatched at this range. We have also never raised the price on these, and now we are down to a 28% profit margin on these based just on component costs. Since we barely make a profit on these, I prefer to avoid promoting them. At some point, we are going to either have to raise the pricing or figure out a way to manufacture them at a lower cost (which would mean sacrificing some performance)

I should probably discuss this on our forum as I am curious what our customers would suggest.
FWIW I'd rather pay $400 for my next pair (and there will probably be a next pair at some point) than have them take a quality hit.

_____
Study: Schiit Bifrost Multibit > Yamaha A-S500 > Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2/Emotiva S8
Living Room HT: Oppo BDP-83 > Denon X3400H > PSB Image 4T/8C/S50/Rythmik L22
Office: Schiit Modi 3 > NAD C740 > Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 NrT
Bedroom: Onkyo TX-8050 > PSB Image 1B/SubSonic5
post #5326 of 5392 Old 05-20-2019, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
Dave, that's an epic understatement. I bought a pair of these for an application where I had more space horizontally than vertically and just wanted decent speakers to fill the space, so I just bought a pair.

When I fired them up, what a pleasant surprise! I mean, no, they're not Sierras or anything, but for a $300 pair of speakers these are incredible. (Unless you want a lot of bass, but what do you expect from 4" drivers in a sealed speaker?)

FWIW I'd rather pay $400 for my next pair (and there will probably be a next pair at some point) than have them take a quality hit.
I'm telling you...add a passive radiator (preferably not on the back - need to wall mount), sell it as the HTM-250 or HTM-300 for $400/pair and you'd have the best small speaker ever. People would buy them by the dozen for surrounds or other rooms needing speakers.

post #5327 of 5392 Old 05-21-2019, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I'm telling you...add a passive radiator (preferably not on the back - need to wall mount), sell it as the HTM-250 or HTM-300 for $400/pair and you'd have the best small speaker ever. People would buy them by the dozen for surrounds or other rooms needing speakers.
I haven't looked inside but I kind of doubt there's room for a passive radiator with such a small enclosure already having 3 drivers.What would you hope to gain anyway? It already plays low enough for a typical 80 Hz surround crossover and it's not going to get low enough to be able to eliminate a subwoofer from the system.
post #5328 of 5392 Old 05-21-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg27 View Post
Quote:
I haven't looked inside but I kind of doubt there's room for a passive radiator with such a small enclosure already having 3 drivers.What would you hope to gain anyway? It already plays low enough for a typical 80 Hz surround crossover and it's not going to get low enough to be able to eliminate a subwoofer from the system.
Passive radiators are used to get ported-like performance out of small speakers. As most surround speakers lack bass, it would seem a good application for them.

post #5329 of 5392 Old 05-21-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:

Yeah, our 200's are one of those true hidden gems and they don't get too much coverage out there and that is entirely my fault. I priced these speakers completely wrong - they should be in the $400 per pair range, the component quality (including a fully custom SEAS tweeter) is simply unmatched at this range. We have also never raised the price on these, and now we are down to a 28% profit margin on these based just on component costs. Since we barely make a profit on these, I prefer to avoid promoting them. At some point, we are going to either have to raise the pricing or figure out a way to manufacture them at a lower cost (which would mean sacrificing some performance)

Maybe ... raise the base price on the HTM 200s, but, keep the current price as a "volume discount" for any Ascend customers who are purchasing more than three Ascend speakers total (i.e. five HTM 200s, or "extra" HTM 200's as surrounds/atmos/etc for higher price point LCR Ascend speaker purchases, etc.).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My neighbors all listen to great music. Whether they like it or not.
post #5330 of 5392 Old 05-22-2019, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8576 Post(s)
Liked: 5775
Quote:

Do what the auto makers do, come out with another "premium" model with a nicer cabinet and a higher price.

But maybe "nicer cabinet" speakers don't sell vs the base version.

Or just raise the shipping to $40 for any pair of stand mount speakers and $25 for a single.

That's still far less than I can ship speakers for.

Geoff A. J., California
post #5331 of 5392 Old 05-23-2019, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks to everyone who reached out with ideas for our HTM-200 pricing. I haven't figured this out just yet but these are some excellent suggestions.

Quote:

Adding a PR isn't as simple as one thinks. Basically, a PR is another method of porting a speaker cabinet .

The 200's are a true acoustic suspension design - whereby the compliance of the woofers relies on the air-spring (pressure) of the sealed enclosure to assist the woofer cone in snapping back into its resting/netural position. Woofers designed to be used in a ported speaker or with a PR must have a stiffer suspension. We could not add a PR without designing new woofers, and I am really not sure what the benefit would be over the standard HTM-200, other than slightly deeper bass at the expense of both a larger cabinet, less placement options, and a hit to transient accuracy. The 200's already perform well with an 80Hz crossover (as they were designed). -3dB on the 200's is 74Hz anechoic with a shallow bass roll off....

David Fabrikant

post #5332 of 5392 Old 05-23-2019, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGuru View Post
I just received my CBM-170 SE speakers to replace my ancient 3.1 logitech setup for my PC. I also got a Micca OriGain DAC - hooked everything up last night and it sounds amazing! The speakers look a little silly on my desk next to my monitors since I'm used to a tiny 3" driver, but I'll get over it.

Pardon the clutter of a setup that is my monitors right now, but is there any recommendations you guys would have off hand? Would moving the center and right monitors back enough so that the right speaker could sit on the same level as the left make a difference?
You'll probably want to put the speakers on some stands to get the tweeters up to ear-level, and also to reduce the reflections off your desk. Yoga blocks make good cheap stands BTW.

Otherwise, ideally, you would have the speakers to your left and right in front of you, equidistant, when you're facing forward. This will be tricky with your setup.

Maybe put your left speaker on a stand next to your desk, move all your monitors to the left, and get that right speaker up on your desk where your rightmost monitor is right now?
post #5333 of 5392 Old 06-06-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
What are people doing here for Rear speakers?

This is basically where I want to go with my next purchase. I'm considering one or two "other options", but the Sierra Tower is currently my leader, and I think I want to "go for" the RAAL upgrade.

But budgets are a real thing, and I won't lie, "pulling this off" (a pair of Sierra Towers w/ RAAL + matching Horizon Center + Rythmik Sub) is definitely "stretching my budget".

How big of a mistake would it be to "pair" such a system with an Ascend option that *doesn't* feature a RAAL tweeter? Sierra 1? What about a CBM-170 SE? Anybody doing something like this? Will it be glaring? Will it match any better than any other speakers I already have laying around the house (RBH R5Bi, Polk Monitor 30), or if I can't buy a pair of Sierra-2 bookshelves right away am I better off just re-using something I already have?

Quote:
For rears, we generally recommend going with our HTM-200's if wall mounting, or our CBM-170's if using stands. I would say at least 1/2 of our ribbon tower customers are using either of these speakers as rears and they match up well. If multichannel audio is high priority or if they are within your budget, our new Luna speakers are the perfect sonic match with our ribbon towers as fronts.

Just wanted to follow up on this (very old; 2018) post-and-response, as I believe I am getting very close to "time to buy":

My specific Left-Right rear speaker configuration involves a "wall mount" (probably more like a "bracket") that reaches out and grabs the left-right rears and holds them a few inches away from the wall (and at a slight angle, maybe 10ish degrees, toward the front of the room and 10ish degrees down, they aren't located directly at ear level or directly to the left-and-right of my listening location). So a rear port has *a little bit*, but not a lot, of room to breath.

Is the HTM-200 the recommendation over the CTM-170 for this sort of install?

I've been diligently budgeting and am nearing a point where I can pull off Tower RAAL's plus Sierra 2 Center Config RAAL plus two CTM-170's or HTM-200's... I don't think I can pull off Luna Rear's (with RAAL) without switching to Sierra 2 bookshelve's for Front Left-Right's, which (maybe surprisingly?) my wife isn't a big fan of... I think she and I both prefer the idea of the Towers, if not necessarily for the exact same reasons...

Last edited by psuKinger; 06-06-2019 at 01:22 PM.
post #5334 of 5392 Old 06-07-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
You'll probably want to put the speakers on some stands to get the tweeters up to ear-level, and also to reduce the reflections off your desk. Yoga blocks make good cheap stands BTW.

Otherwise, ideally, you would have the speakers to your left and right in front of you, equidistant, when you're facing forward. This will be tricky with your setup.

Maybe put your left speaker on a stand next to your desk, move all your monitors to the left, and get that right speaker up on your desk where your rightmost monitor is right now?
Thanks - I've ordered a yoga block to make the right speaker come up to about the same height as the left.

But aside from that, I've just received my L12 and hooked it up to my Micca Origain AD250 - set the crossover at 80Hz, volume/gain to about 1 o'clock and it sounds pretty good! Initial REW curves are pretty steady from about 25Hz to 200Hz, with a couple peaks around the 60Hz range. Think it's worth investing in a "cheap" receiver to actually have a crossover so my CBM-170's stop producing sound at 80Hz?

Also, I left the phase knob how it came - at 180 degrees. I tried reading the guide on Rythmik's website but I quickly found myself over my head. Is it just a fine tuning knob for wherever I set the crossover at to ensure the curve remains as flat as possible?

One last thing - I left the LPF slope at 12dB, but it recommends for two channel setting it to 24dB - since I'm running 2.1 on my PC, should I switch it to 24? Or does it all depend on how my 'curve' looks?

post #5335 of 5392 Old 06-08-2019, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGuru View Post
Thanks - I've ordered a yoga block to make the right speaker come up to about the same height as the left.

But aside from that, I've just received my L12 and hooked it up to my Micca Origain AD250 - set the crossover at 80Hz, volume/gain to about 1 o'clock and it sounds pretty good! Initial REW curves are pretty steady from about 25Hz to 200Hz, with a couple peaks around the 60Hz range. Think it's worth investing in a "cheap" receiver to actually have a crossover so my CBM-170's stop producing sound at 80Hz?

Also, I left the phase knob how it came - at 180 degrees. I tried reading the guide on Rythmik's website but I quickly found myself over my head. Is it just a fine tuning knob for wherever I set the crossover at to ensure the curve remains as flat as possible?

One last thing - I left the LPF slope at 12dB, but it recommends for two channel setting it to 24dB - since I'm running 2.1 on my PC, should I switch it to 24? Or does it all depend on how my 'curve' looks?
I don't know much about subwoofers, I don't even have any, but I'll take a stab at this if nobody else will. First, I'd say set your LPF to 24 dB/octave since that's the rolloff of ported speakers. Second, I'd say set your phase to 0 degrees since I assume your subwoofer is pretty close to your speakers, since this is a setup for a computer (office?) and as I understand it, that phase setting is to compensate for a sub being relatively far away from the mains. Third, I wouldn't worry about some peaks and dips under ~150Hz since your room is going to play a large role in that. (If you have a peak at 60Hz, is it possible that one of your room's dimensions is ~12 feet? I think that's the wavelength of 60Hz...) Dunno about room equalization software, microphones tend to lose accuracy in the bass range and also your room is going to play a large role, you might want to just pick the sub volume based on frequency sweeps and your ear. But again, I've never done this, no idea...
post #5336 of 5392 Old 06-08-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
I don't know much about subwoofers, I don't even have any, but I'll take a stab at this if nobody else will. First, I'd say set your LPF to 24 dB/octave since that's the rolloff of ported speakers. Second, I'd say set your phase to 0 degrees since I assume your subwoofer is pretty close to your speakers, since this is a setup for a computer (office?) and as I understand it, that phase setting is to compensate for a sub being relatively far away from the mains. Third, I wouldn't worry about some peaks and dips under ~150Hz since your room is going to play a large role in that. (If you have a peak at 60Hz, is it possible that one of your room's dimensions is ~12 feet? I think that's the wavelength of 60Hz...) Dunno about room equalization software, microphones tend to lose accuracy in the bass range and also your room is going to play a large role, you might want to just pick the sub volume based on frequency sweeps and your ear. But again, I've never done this, no idea...
Thanks for the reply. Yes, my sub is directly under my desk (it makes a perfect foot rest!). I tried out both 180 degrees and 0 degrees and the 0 degree option had some odd drops in the SPL curve via REW, so I think I'll leave that at 180. There was a slight angle down at around 30Hz, so I fiddled with the PEQ on the back of the sub and that flattened out a bit - works for me, and sounds great.

Edit 2: got the yoga blocks today - it's perfect! Thanks for the advice!

https://i.imgur.com/DzBes7Q.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/n89kwSD.jpg - MLP
motrek likes this.

Last edited by MrGuru; 06-09-2019 at 12:28 PM.
post #5337 of 5392 Old 06-10-2019, 05:45 PM

Have had my towers for about 2 weeks now... absolutely loving them!

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...901-New-Towers!

xcjago likes this.
post #5338 of 5392 Old 06-10-2019, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just wanted to follow up on this (very old; 2018) post-and-response, as I believe I am getting very close to "time to buy":

My specific Left-Right rear speaker configuration involves a "wall mount" (probably more like a "bracket") that reaches out and grabs the left-right rears and holds them a few inches away from the wall (and at a slight angle, maybe 10ish degrees, toward the front of the room and 10ish degrees down, they aren't located directly at ear level or directly to the left-and-right of my listening location). So a rear port has *a little bit*, but not a lot, of room to breath.

Is the HTM-200 the recommendation over the CTM-170 for this sort of install?
Ideally, our Luna's would be the best choice but if they are out of budget, next best option is our HTM-200's...

Quote:
I've been diligently budgeting and am nearing a point where I can pull off Tower RAAL's plus Sierra 2 Center Config RAAL plus two CTM-170's or HTM-200's... I don't think I can pull off Luna Rear's (with RAAL) without switching to Sierra 2 bookshelve's for Front Left-Right's, which (maybe surprisingly?) my wife isn't a big fan of... I think she and I both prefer the idea of the Towers, if not necessarily for the exact same reasons...
If I had a choice between towers as fronts with HTM-200's as rears, compared to Sierra-2 as fronts with Luna's as rears -- go with Towers as fronts and the 200's. Besides, you can always and easily change to the Luna's for the surrounds anytime in the future.

hope this helps!

David Fabrikant

post #5339 of 5392 Old 06-11-2019, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Productive day today. Upgraded my S1 NrTs to S2s!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before_.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	2578920   Click image for larger version

Name:	after_.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	2578922  
psuKinger likes this.

_____
Study: Schiit Bifrost Multibit > Yamaha A-S500 > Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2/Emotiva S8
Living Room HT: Oppo BDP-83 > Denon X3400H > PSB Image 4T/8C/S50/Rythmik L22
Office: Schiit Modi 3 > NAD C740 > Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 NrT
Bedroom: Onkyo TX-8050 > PSB Image 1B/SubSonic5
post #5340 of 5392 Old 06-11-2019, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
Productive day today. Upgraded my S1 NrTs to S2s!
how are you liking the upgrade so far?.. i have amt tweeters, i don't think they get enough credit .. the raal seems to have a different "problem" .. seems they have such a good rep people seem to be let down , because of expectation ...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page