***The Official Ascend Acoustics Sierra Thread*** - Page 182 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 859Likes

post #5431 of 5526 Old 07-28-2019, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Thanks for the quick listen. I have the Crown XLS series in mind just in case it's needed. I hope I don't need the extra expense - quite a few reviewers of these speakers have said it made a big difference for them, which is what got me curious. One person, ok - maybe they didn't level match. But 3-4 similar accounts had me thinking maybe there is something to it.
There could be something to it. I don’t know if my ears are the best for picking out subtle differences between components. I also don’t know if the S400s are broken in yet.

When I spoke with Mads about amps, he did imply more power works better: “Most amps with a lot of power work well with them.” He also mentioned he’s working on a D class integrated with room correction. He’s about a year away from launching that.

I was planning on upgrading my pre-amp and amp...was set on either Van Alstine or PS Audio. But then Dave came out with the S2-EX and some of my amp money got moved to pay for the upgrade kit. So probably will end up waiting now until winter for the new amp...and now it may end up being a new amp for the S2-EX since I think that’s the weakest link in my two systems.

Also got an email from Dina at Ascend that my kit will ship in 2-4 business days. So hopefully will have them assembled and ready to go in a couple of weeks. I think I have as much excitement for the EX that I did for the S400. Can’t wait to see what Dave was able to do with the better woofer.

Stereo: Buchardt S400, Van Alstine Vision SET 400 & Transcendence 10RB, Schiit Bifrost.
Home Theater: Ascend Sierra 2 EX for LRC, Sierra Luna’s for rear, HTM-200s for front and top Atmos. Dual PSA 15S subs. Denon X6400 with Parasound HCA-1500A driving mains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5432 of 5526 Old 07-28-2019, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Soon to be an Ascend Sierra 2 EX (and first time customer) soon. I've read perhaps RAAL tweeters and class D amps do not mix. Any Class D amp users here? I've been considering the NAD M10 as it has DIRAC and a host of other good features.
xcjago likes this.
post #5433 of 5526 Old 07-29-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speaker Robert View Post
Soon to be an Ascend Sierra 2 EX (and first time customer) soon. I've read perhaps RAAL tweeters and class D amps do not mix. Any Class D amp users here? I've been considering the NAD M10 as it has DIRAC and a host of other good features.
I haven’t heard the Sierra 2 with a class D, but you have a good budget and can go “entry level” separates too. Van Alstine and Odyssey Audio are two well regarded companies that have class A/AB products in the same price range as the M10. If you’re interested in class D, PS Audio has a well regarded stack for less than $2K with trade-in of your old gear. None of those have the bells and whistles of the M10, but to me that means there are fewer things that can break.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5434 of 5526 Old 07-30-2019, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
You should talk or email Dave at Ascend to get his input. When I was looking for an amp upgrade to use with my S2's at the time, he recommended class A/B. As I recall, something to do with switching in the class d design and ability of the RAAL to reproduce very high frequency. I think there is a post or two in the Ascend forum on the subject, as well. Anyways, I did go with a class a/b so no first hand experience with class D.
post #5435 of 5526 Old 07-30-2019, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I'm getting the NAD C 368 and the Sierra 2 EX's, so I can let you know how they sound. But no way for me to directly compare with a class AB. I saw one or two comments with people in the NAD C 368 thread that they have the Sierra 2's and love it. Hopefully it sounds good! Can't beat the price of those NAD integrated..especially if you're buying refurbished.

My next project I'm planning on building out a media server to dish this thing some lossless music with the blueOS module. Should be fun =D
post #5436 of 5526 Old 07-30-2019, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
The Sierra 2EX speakers arrived. I was unaware when I ordered them that they offered a domestic finish option. I ordered before the website update. Overall, the fit and finish of the satin espresso is good. Initial listening impressions have been good. I was planning on moving the Anthem receiver downstairs, but I think I’ll keep it with the Sierra 2EX speakers. I’ll go stereo, but maybe go with Lunas for surround duty in the future and maybe a Duo center. My next phase is to renovate the room and add some treatments before I add any more speakers.

Initial impressions:

1) I’ve been a dome tweeter guy...the ribbons have a more laid back nature to them. Highs are accurate, such as hearing the singer breathing while singing, but not fatiguing.

2) Bass response is quite good, very surprising for a bookshelf. I still prefer a subwoofer as I like to feel a “kick” with drums. They blend in easily with my two SVS SB 2000 subs.

3) Despite the lower speaker efficiency, my Anthem MRX 520 doesn’t break a sweat when driving them. They are very stable speakers that do not dip very low in impedance. Honestly, adding a power amp would merely generate added heat in my room.

4) I followed Dave’s advice and went with the Sanus SF 26 speaker stands as I previously had 24” slightly wobbly natural Sanus wood stands. They work great and place the tweeters at ear level.
xcjago and enricoclaudio like this.

Last edited by Speaker Robert; 07-31-2019 at 09:45 AM.
post #5437 of 5526 Old 07-30-2019, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 131
The measurements for the new Sierra 2EX look amazing! Question: Does anybody know how the 2EX compares to the Sierra Tower RAAL? Their performance seems amazingly similar from the graphs I’m looking at (with just a bit more bass extension from the towers, but not as much as you’d think). Assuming this would be paired with a subwoofer (Rythmik F18), which would be best? I’m about to buy my first Ascend speakers and I want to buy the best I can (not counting the more expensive diamond tweeter models I read about).

Ascend Sierra Towers (RAAL) + 2x Rythmik F18 | Ascend Sierra 2EX + JL Audio E112 | [Selling:] Bowers and Wilkins 702 S2 + REL T9i
post #5438 of 5526 Old 07-30-2019, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by echopraxia View Post
The measurements for the new Sierra 2EX look amazing! Question: Does anybody know how the 2EX compares to the Sierra Tower RAAL? Their performance seems amazingly similar from the graphs I’m looking at (with just a bit more bass extension from the towers, but not as much as you’d think). Assuming this would be paired with a subwoofer (Rythmik F18), which would be best? I’m about to buy my first Ascend speakers and I want to buy the best I can (not counting the more expensive diamond tweeter models I read about).

I’m about to post my thoughts after hearing both at Ascend HQ. I’ll keep you posted.

In short the bookshelf is very stout, with well defined bass, especially in the 60-80hz range. I’d say they are almost identical in this area. This extra bass output from the bookshelf however causes the speaker to sound a bit warmer than the Tower. The mids are slightly recessed. There might also be a bit more resolution with the tower due to the dedicated midrange. The efficiency is something good to note. I’d use the towers in theater, and the bookshelves for 2.0 listening. The bass is well supplemented and personally I didn’t think it needed a subwoofer.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #5439 of 5526 Old 07-30-2019, 10:45 PM

P.S. Can anyone more experience than I help interpret the spinorama data: How does the Sierra 2EX’s spinorama measure against the Revel F208, for example (not because these are comparable speakers in any way, but because there are so few speakers out there with Spinorama data published, and this is one of them):

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1524180385

Vs

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/image...RM2EX/SPIN.gif

Ascend Sierra Towers (RAAL) + 2x Rythmik F18 | Ascend Sierra 2EX + JL Audio E112 | [Selling:] Bowers and Wilkins 702 S2 + REL T9i
post #5440 of 5526 Old 07-30-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
I’m about to post my thoughts after hearing both at Ascend HQ. I’ll keep you posted.

In short the bookshelf is very stout, with well defined bass, especially in the 60-80hz range. I’d say they are almost identical in this area. This extra bass output from the bookshelf however causes the speaker to sound a bit warmer than the Tower. The mids are slightly recessed. There might also be a bit more resolution with the tower due to the dedicated midrange. The efficiency is something good to note. I’d use the towers in theater, and the bookshelves for 2.0 listening. The bass is well supplemented and personally I didn’t think it needed a subwoofer.
I am asking about RAAL Towers vs Sierra 2EX because I actually just put in an order for Ascend RAAL Towers today, to fill the role of dedicated music listening setup (with a subwoofer: I find that <40hz frequencies are extremely important to my ears, and as such I cannot do without a subwoofer because otherwise I would be losing those frequencies).

So towards that goal, I just now realized that these Sierra 2EX’s might be a better (or equal for less price) choice. It’s not too late to change my order though, but I’d need to do so within a few days. I’ll probably call Ascend tomorrow and ask what they think, as well.

Last edited by echopraxia; 07-30-2019 at 10:53 PM.
post #5441 of 5526 Old 07-30-2019, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
P.S. Can anyone more experience than I help interpret the spinorama data: How does the Sierra 2EX’s spinorama measure against the Revel F208, for example (not because these are comparable speakers in any way, but because there are so few speakers out there with Spinorama data published, and this is one of them):

Vs

It has been found that speakers with the flattest listening window (most accurate sound heard) will score the best during blind listening tests. I believe 70% of the time it will be chosen.

The Sierra 2Ex has a phenomenal listening window and will be very accurate. The content that is put in will be produced with minimal or no coloration. This cannot be said for all speakers.

post #5442 of 5526 Old 07-30-2019, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1562
The most obvious thing that I see is that the Ascend may have a bit more output in the midrange.

But I think they will be more alike than different.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #5443 of 5526 Old 07-30-2019, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Vs

The main difference seems to be the F208 is following the Harman Curve in terms of the sound power, whereas the RAAL 64-10 seems to have rising response past 4KHz. The F208 will sound a lot warmer in comparison.
post #5444 of 5526 Old 07-30-2019, 11:05 PM

Sorry, I didn’t mean to derail this thread into comparing such different speakers. Mostly, I’m just so impressed by the 2EX’s measurements, that I wonder if the 2EX’s spinorama technically outperforms Revel, which costs much more. I would find this amusing because I’ve seen so many Harman/Revel threads here saying that Floyd Toole’s objective measurement system is why Revel is superior: it would be ironic if by Dr. Toole’s own measurement system, the Ascend’s come out on top

For context, I’ve been really torn between Revel F206 and Ascend RAAL Towers for a while now. I just put an order in for the latter today.

But now I’m wondering if I should consider swapping that order to the Sierra 2EX instead. I’m not looking for a movies setup or max volume (I already have other speakers for that). I am looking to make a really amazing living room music setup, where I would likely combine two nice speakers with one of my Rythmik subwoofers.

Last edited by echopraxia; 07-30-2019 at 11:08 PM.
post #5445 of 5526 Old 07-31-2019, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
I am asking about RAAL Towers vs Sierra 2EX because I actually just put in an order for Ascend RAAL Towers today, to fill the role of dedicated music listening setup (with a subwoofer: I find that <40hz frequencies are extremely important to my ears, and as such I cannot do without a subwoofer because otherwise I would be losing those frequencies).

So towards that goal, I just now realized that these Sierra 2EX’s might be a better (or equal for less price) choice. It’s not too late to change my order though, but I’d need to do so within a few days. I’ll probably call Ascend tomorrow and ask what they think, as well.

I've not heard the S2-EX, but went from the S2 to RAAL Towers recently. For music (with or without subwoofer), I found the Towers to be a good upgrade. I, too, use a sub (Rythmik E15HP). I posted my thoughts on the Ascend Forum here http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...901-New-Towers! .

In case you aren't registered on the Ascend Forum, here's the relevant post:

As mentioned above, I think the S2's are really great speakers, particularly when used with a subwoofer. I was amazed with them when I first got them a few years ago. At the time, I had seriously considered the towers but decided to save a bit of money, figuring if I did move to the towers later, I could use the S2's as surrounds or set up a second system.

To me, the towers take everything the S2's do well (eg detail, transparency, natural/airy sound, etc.) up a notch. Obviously, they play a bit louder as more efficient and can play lower (not really an advantage if using a subwoofer). I think the towers are clearer and more detailed, particularly at lower volumes. A bit easier to hear different instruments. This is a big plus for me as my hearing isn't what it used to be and for WAF as she doesn't like to listen loud.

Another plus is the soundstage -- the towers have a wider / bigger soundstage. I feel more as if I'm in the front row instead of row 3 or 4.

Finally, the towers sound "fuller" to me, likely because of the dedicated mid-range, especially with vinyl (which is about 90% of my listening). . The S2s were very good with vinyl, the towers just sound better with this source. OF course with either speaker, poor pressings still sound poor.

I've only watched one movie with the Towers -- and they are also great for HT.
xcjago likes this.
post #5446 of 5526 Old 07-31-2019, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:

Vs

First of all you have to be a bit careful about comparing the measurements, even though they are the same format. Harman has an anechoic chamber with very high resolution measurements, I'm guessing Dave measures outdoors and uses time-gating since under 200-300Hz isn't valid but it will show a smoother curve than the Harman measurement.

The F208 has a near perfect sound power curve, according to what Harman says is preferred in listening tests. You can see the sound power in the Sierra 2 EX is similar to this ideal except that there is a bump from 4-10k, this is what gives them their "non-fatiguing but detailed" sound that so many like about the RAAL tweeter. The extra bass output from the F208 is the other big difference but that much would be obvious.

You can try to make educated guesses on how each will sound based on measurements but really the only way to know for sure is to audition both in your own home, level matched and preferably blind. I do agree with your assessment that a bookshelf speaker would be fine for music if you're using a sub and don't listen super loud. I would grab the Sierra 2 EX and some Revel M106 ($10 returns from Crutchfield I believe) and figure out which ones are best for you.
post #5447 of 5526 Old 08-01-2019, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Would the EX woofer be offered with any other tweeters, like the NRT? I wonder how it would sound with a dome tweeter.
post #5448 of 5526 Old 08-01-2019, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeshields View Post
Would the EX woofer be offered with any other tweeters, like the NRT? I wonder how it would sound with a dome tweeter.
It was originally paired with the SEAS White Diamond dome tweeter.
post #5449 of 5526 Old 08-09-2019, 04:06 PM

Just got my Sierra Towers (RAAL)! I’m been listening and configuring them, and I have some questions for advise regarding placement: how far from the wall is ideal, and is there anything in particular recommended for toe-in for these?

So far I am liking them overall, however the first thing I’ve noticed is how “bright” and “thin” they sounded until I used the equalizer in my Sonos Amp to reduce treble and boost bass. Even now, they’re still the brightest speakers I have (maybe I should push the equalizer further, but it somehow feels wrong), and I’m not sure I like it very much. In every other respect though I do like them and they’re clearly extremely competent speakers technically in the mids and treble department (though the treble was fairly fatiguing to me until I used the equalizer). I’m not yet convinced about bass, but I suppose I’ll play around with the equalizer a bit more and find out.

For reference, my other speakers I compare to are: Bowers and Wilkins 702 S2, Axiom M50ti, and Mackie MR824 studio monitors. All feel considerably “warmer” than the Sierra Towers, which I like. Note that the bass frequencies I’m referring to are well above 80-100hz, so not really something a subwoofer can help with: I do have excellent subwoofers, but my sub doesn’t seem to do much to make them sound warmer if I boost subwoofers gain, whereas pre equalizing the signal itself to reduce treble and boost bass does help so far.
post #5450 of 5526 Old 08-09-2019, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ Do you have the ability to measure? Best place is where you can push the wall-bounce cancellation(s) either into subwoofer range by pulling the speakers out, or above the bass range by moving them closer to, the wall(s).

http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/speak...-interference/

Of course you want to make sure you are somewhat close to an equilateral triangle configuration between yourself and the speakers as well.

I think if you give them some time and work on placement, you should get more bass. They shouldn't need any EQ except to fix bass issues caused by the room, so start with that. You may have a big null that you are trying to boost.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)

Last edited by Soulburner; 08-09-2019 at 04:17 PM.
post #5451 of 5526 Old 08-09-2019, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I find it very odd that you would call the Sierra Towers (with Raal) bright.

Especially coming from something like the B&W 702.

Experiment with placement and make sure you have no EQ on. Other forms of EQ like dynamic volume or delays can effect how they sound also.

Try head on instead of toe in, and make sure to bring them out from your wall a few feet.

post #5452 of 5526 Old 08-09-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
I find it very odd that you would call the Sierra Towers (with Raal) bright.

Especially coming from something like the B&W 702.

Experiment with placement and make sure you have no EQ on. Other forms of EQ like dynamic volume or delays can effect how they sound also.

Try head on instead of toe in, and make sure to bring them out from your wall a few feet.
I suppose comparing treble to the 702 S2 is really not fair since it sits in another room with very good acoustics. Maybe I’ll take the Sierra Towers in there at some point to compare directly.

There’s no question that I’m really enjoying these towers so far, and I suspect they’ll only grow on me over time. I have found a good wall spacing with the best bass response in this room, which combined with a good bass boost from the Sonos Amp sounds just right to me.

I can compare directly to the Axiom M50ti though (which perhaps mistakenly I had thought was pretty neutral), since I did listen to them in the same room and position. With equalizer flat, the M50ti sounds similar to the frequency balance of the Sierra towers when the equalizer is set to about 50% the max available bass boost from the Sonos Amp’s app. Except the Ascend Sierra’s sound quality is superior in every possible way, of course.

post #5453 of 5526 Old 08-09-2019, 08:21 PM

I think I figured it out — I think my initial perception was based on several factors: My Axiom M50ti (in the same room prior) had particularly strong bass response where it was placed (probably due to its dual ported design), and got me used to the bass-heavy sound signature it had without any EQ. I was also listening to music I knew sounded good in this prior bass-heavy configuration, which means those songs were light on bass in the recording. Playing some other songs now (mastered differently), the Ascends now sound just perfect, whereas these songs actually sound a bit too bassy on the other speakers.

And finally, I think I genuinely do prefer a bit of a warmer sound in general, though not as extreme as my prior EQ experiments would have made it seem, prior to speaker positioning experiments and trying different (better mastered) music.

I now find increasing bass and decreasing treble by one “notch” each in the Sonos Amp’s equalizer, sounds best to me right now (depending on the song, I suppose). I really appreciate that the Ascend Towers, despite the small appearance of their woofers, seem quite capable of doing everything I ask of them via the equalizer. Unlike less capable speakers, there’s no hint to my ears whatsoever that doing so reduces sound quality or strains the speakers at all (woofer excursion is still barely visible on such tracks).

Of course, I’m going to try spending a lot of time this weekend with the equalizer reset to see if my ears adapt to it: perhaps I’ll end up preferring it that way. But either way, so far I am extremely happy with these! The more I listen to them, the more I like them. I like how the sound is not flashy or in your face in any particular way (like B&W), just accurate and transparent and natural. I think I am already starting to notice some instruments which used to sound metallic on metal dome tweeters, which now sound less metallic because that’s actually the way they’re supposed to sound.

I still have not compared directly to the B&W 702 S2 yet in the same room, because to do so I’ll have to temporarily carry these into my movie room, where I hadn’t really planned to put them. But, if anyone is interested in the comparison, I would be happy to do so and write up my thoughts.

Last edited by echopraxia; 08-09-2019 at 08:26 PM.
post #5454 of 5526 Old 08-09-2019, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sounds similar to those who trade in their subs for Rythmiks...they had no idea what bass could/should sound like because their point of reference was a boomy mess.

Our brains take a bit of time to adapt to a new speaker, as well. Or, some people call it speaker "break-in"

It's possible you'll still like more bass, which is where subs come in.

Last edited by Soulburner; 08-09-2019 at 10:39 PM.
post #5455 of 5526 Old 08-09-2019, 11:41 PM

Perhaps, but I think this may be different: For example, when I received my Rythmik F18 it was immediately obvious how precise and clean it sounded and I loved it immediately. Similarly, it was immediately obvious that the Sierra Tower RAAL is an amazing speaker in terms of raw detail, clarity, etc. I just wanted to figure out why I felt like I needed to boost the bass to really enjoy it maximally. I’m now pretty sure it’s about 10% due to a preference for more warmth (which I happily can correct with small EQ adjustment), and 90% the fact that the recordings I had selected initially were thin on bass — a selection which was originally guided due to the bass heavy speakers that previously occupied that room.

Anyway, so far I am loving these! It’s quite apparent to me already that these are much better than the B&W 702 S2 on a wide range of music, particularly rock (which the 702 S2 are just not very good at IMO). The 702 S2 seems to specialize more and is really amazing in some areas, and I suspect may still be better for some things (e.g. filling a large room with a full low end “warmth” sound just above the reach of subwoofers), but I shouldn’t jump to conclusions until I compare them directly in the same room.

P.S. Incidentally this makes me even more intrigued by the new Sierra 2EX, since they’re reportedly a bit warmer then the towers (which is exactly how I have them equalized to my taste right now).

If only I liked bookshelf speakers... Maybe this is silly, but I just really like how towers come self-contained to stand solidly on the floor, vs bookshelves which need a separately purchased and often nonmatching stand, on which the speaker rests precariously, ready to be knocked over accidentally by a guest.

Does anyone know if the Sierra-2EX would ever get a custom stand like the one for the Sierra-1 / CMT?

Last edited by echopraxia; 08-09-2019 at 11:52 PM.
post #5456 of 5526 Old 08-10-2019, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A solid stand with spikes and some UHU Tac at the corners of the speaker takes care of those worries.

But a stand made just for the speaker would be cool. You can bet on it being more expensive though.

post #5457 of 5526 Old 08-10-2019, 12:13 AM

Actually, the TP-24 stands to appear to be the same base dimensions as the Sierra-2EX! I’d have to confirm, but it seems this plus a Sierra-2EX would make for an amazing $180+$1498 “mini ribbon tower”!

post #5458 of 5526 Old 08-10-2019, 02:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1716 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
Hey how would you Ascend Acoustics guys say the CMT-340s stack up against the PSA MT-110s? Because I heard the PSA MT-110s a few weeks ago and the dynamics and ability play extreme loud was impressive but to me music wasn't it's best attribute. It was not nearly as good as home theater. Would the CMTs have the dynamics and impact of the PSA 110s? How are the CMT-340s with music? Thanks this has been a curious question if mine since I heard the PSA speakers.
post #5459 of 5526 Old 08-10-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Actually, the TP-24 stands to appear to be the same base dimensions as the Sierra-2EX! I’d have to confirm, but it seems this plus a Sierra-2EX would make for an amazing $180+$1498 “mini ribbon tower”!

That’s the setup I have. Filled with cat litter, the TP-24 are incredibly dense and stable. They also screw into the back of the Sierras which eliminates the need of using anything sticky that might damage the finish. I wish they were 3” or 4” taller for the Sierra 2, but it’s not a huge deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stereo: Buchardt S400, Van Alstine Vision SET 400 & Transcendence 10RB, Schiit Bifrost.
Home Theater: Ascend Sierra 2 EX for LRC, Sierra Luna’s for rear, HTM-200s for front and top Atmos. Dual PSA 15S subs. Denon X6400 with Parasound HCA-1500A driving mains.
post #5460 of 5526 Old 08-10-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Hey how would you Ascend Acoustics guys say the CMT-340s stack up against the PSA MT-110s? Because I heard the PSA MT-110s a few weeks ago and the dynamics and ability play extreme loud was impressive but to me music wasn't it's best attribute. It was not nearly as good as home theater. Would the CMTs have the dynamics and impact of the PSA 110s? How are the CMT-340s with music? Thanks this has been a curious question if mine since I heard the PSA speakers.
I know in fact that those Ascends where used by Tom(PSA) in their demo room during his SVS days or somewhere in between.

Of course ....we now have HE... low compression drivers for max spl that many folks have gravitated towards...for many reasons you describe....asking about the 340s or detailed in your audition of the 110s.

There is one thread iirc....that had the PSA and RAAL Towers...in this particular case he kept the raal towers...basing his decision on music his priority... now I'm not saying the 340 compare to the Raal nor better the m110s either....but the CBM 340 are dynamic and very easy to drive and listen too.
Hetfieldjames likes this.

Ascend Acoustics: Towers, STC w RAAL & 200 SE in espresso,
54" of Panny Bliss, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo 103D,
Sub: Funk Audio 18: (Santos Rosewood)
Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!

Last edited by Billy p; 08-10-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page