***The Official Ascend Acoustics Sierra Thread*** - Page 206 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1609Likes

post #6151 of 6177 Old 03-25-2020, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink soda View Post
Has anyone done a 13 channel all Ascend RAAL setup before? I'll have one soon, as I upgrade from 5.2 to 9.2.4:

Should be able to set up and share impressions this weekend if everything arrives on time.
I haven’t ever heard of anyone having that. I wish I lived closer to hear it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6152 of 6177 Old 03-25-2020, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2057 Post(s)
Liked: 2220
Quote:
Has anyone done a 13 channel all Ascend RAAL setup before? I'll have one soon, as I upgrade from 5.2 to 9.2.4:

Should be able to set up and share impressions this weekend if everything arrives on time.
Holy crap, that is one impressive system! Impressions will be much apprectaited!
Hetfieldjames likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Integra AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech CA Aero 2, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Slimline AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Integra AV receiver
post #6153 of 6177 Old 03-25-2020, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4184 Post(s)
Liked: 5387
Quote:

I’ll be replacing my 4 x BA SoundWare Height speakers with 4 x Sierra Lunas by the end of the fall so I would have a 7.3.4 all Sierra w/RAAL setup like yours. Please take pictures of the Lunas when on the wall to see how they look. Also post which wall mount are you planning on using with the Lunas

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik G22 (x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6154 of 6177 Old 03-26-2020, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I’ll be replacing my 4 x BA SoundWare Height speakers with 4 x Sierra Lunas by the end of the fall so I would have a 7.3.4 all Sierra w/RAAL setup like yours. Please take pictures of the Lunas when on the wall to see how they look. Also post which wall mount are you planning on using with the Lunas

I'm using these wall mounts (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X9O8SI) - they work with both Sierra 2s and Lunas, and I'm using these ceiling mounts (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00153U1Z0) - I got the idea from an Ascend forum member. I'll be ceiling mounting the Lunas upside down and aiming them right at the MLP. Here's how the mount attaches to the speaker:

I just bought the appropriate bolt and wingnut to go into the speaker separately . Will post more photos once they're up.

Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra RAAL Towers & Horizon w/ Mapleshade 4" Maple Platforms & Brass Heavyfeet ・・ Ascend Sierra 2 & Luna satellites x10 ・・ Rythmik FV18 aluminum cone subwoofer x2 ・・ JBL GX-1200 subwoofer x5 direct mounted to seats
Components: Monoprice Monolith HTP-1 w/ Dirac Live ・・ Hypex NC400 x5 ・・ Nord One MP NC252 8ch
・・ JVC DLA-RS540 ・・ Stewart Cima FF 123 inch w/ StudioTek ST130 G4

Last edited by pink soda; 03-26-2020 at 07:00 AM.
post #6155 of 6177 Old 03-26-2020, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Have you considered the Luna Duo's for your ground level sides and rears? I have not heard the Luna's, but I can say the Luna Duo's sound fantastic with the Sierra 2EX's and Horizon RAAL center. As you can see, I had a real challenge with placing my side surrounds, but the Luna Duo's fit perfectly. I used Peerless SPK-811W mounts without the extensions to keep the speakers from protruding out too far. They are rated to hold up to 20 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	luna_duos.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	960.4 KB
ID:	2702036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Peerless_Industries_SPK811W_SPK811_W_Universal_Speaker_Mount_1373898280_338440.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	2702038  
BrianNLS likes this.
post #6156 of 6177 Old 03-26-2020, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've seen the specs...but does anyone have real world experience comparing the EX to the Sierra 2s? Just wondering how big of an improvement in performance the woofer brings?

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Integra AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech CA Aero 2, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Slimline AV receiver
post #6157 of 6177 Old 03-26-2020, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
I've seen the specs...but does anyone have real world experience comparing the EX to the Sierra 2s? Just wondering how big of an improvement in performance the woofer brings?
I did the manual upgrade from the 2's to the EX. The bass is large upgrade with more depth/punch. The midrange is also a step up and sounds fuller with more layering/detail.
post #6158 of 6177 Old 03-26-2020, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldark View Post
I did the manual upgrade from the 2's to the EX. The bass is large upgrade with more depth/punch. The midrange is also a step up and sounds fuller with more layering/detail.
I have heard the Sierra 2 and didn't think they lacked in bass for a speaker of that size, so that is impressive.

post #6159 of 6177 Old 03-27-2020, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Peaslee View Post
Have you considered the Luna Duo's for your ground level sides and rears? I have not heard the Luna's, but I can say the Luna Duo's sound fantastic with the Sierra 2EX's and Horizon RAAL center. As you can see, I had a real challenge with placing my side surrounds, but the Luna Duo's fit perfectly. I used Peerless SPK-811W mounts without the extensions to keep the speakers from protruding out too far. They are rated to hold up to 20 lbs.
Wow -- that looks fantastic!!

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #6160 of 6177 Old 03-27-2020, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Peaslee View Post
Nice job placing and mounting the surrounds.

Curious about the make/model of your theater chairs. Also if you like them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My neighbors all listen to great music. Whether they like it or not.
post #6161 of 6177 Old 03-28-2020, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Sdg4vfx - they are Palliser Mendoza chairs, and I love them.
sdg4vfx likes this.
post #6162 of 6177 Old 03-28-2020, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1551 Post(s)
Liked: 987
Quote:
Spoiler!

How do you like your Nord amp? I'm thinking of buying an 8-channel version myself
post #6163 of 6177 Old 03-30-2020, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldark View Post
I've been debating upgrading my LCR, but over 1K is a pricey upgrade. I currently use Power Sound Audio S3601 and I don't need a lot of bass.
post #6164 of 6177 Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
I've been debating upgrading my LCR, but over 1K is a pricey upgrade. I currently use Power Sound Audio S3601 and I don't need a lot of bass.

Is Ascend Acoustics still taking orders? I thought California was shut down for non-essential businesses.
post #6165 of 6177 Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by raistlin65 View Post
Is Ascend Acoustics still taking orders? I thought California was shut down for non-essential businesses.
Here's Dave's wonderful comment about that. There's more on his site about it.

These are certainly challenging times for everyone. We here at Ascend Acoustics are committed to staying healthy, staying open, and most importantly - doing what we can to keep others virus free.

Effective today, Monday, March 16th - we are temporarily suspending all in-person demos. If you are located somewhat local to us and are interested in auditioning our products, please send us an email or call us at our office, we will try to work something out for you. We are still happy to arrange for local pickups, but this will be handled in front of our office (outside) rather than inside.

Since it has become general knowledge that this virus can live on surfaces for quite a while, we have had many inquiries regarding our procedures and where our components are sourced.

First off, we are a unique company within this industry -- unlike many of our competitors - we do not use any fulfillment centers. All of our components and finished goods are stored on our premises under our full control and observation at all times.

We are located in a small town with a population of ~ 65,000 - the southernmost city in Orange County, CA and while there have been a few reported Covid-19 cases in Orange County, there have been none yet reported in our city of San Clemente.

We source components from many different locations, mainly Norway, China, Serbia and here in the US. These components are received well packaged, stored at our facility, and always under our watchful eye. To keep our cost-of-goods as low as possible, we purchase very large quantities at a time and out last shipment of product received from China was back in November 2019, a full 4 months ago. Latest studies reveal Covid-19 could possibly live as long as a week on some surfaces assuming best case scenario. 4 months isn't even a remote possibility.

Prior to packaging our goods and after testing and inspection, every speaker is fully cleaned with either an ammonia or alcohol based cleaner, depending on the particular finish.

Like most of you, I have a family and I put their safety and health above all else. That being said, I feel perfectly safe and at ease handling our products and sending them to you, our customers, to enjoy.

I also cannot think of a better time in our lives to enjoy movies at home and especially music. Listening to music has proven to be extremely relaxing, meditative and stress relieving. In addition, there have been studies that listening to about an hour of music daily can actually boost our immune system.

http://syncproject.co/blog/2017/8/23...-immune-system

https://www.bustle.com/p/can-music-h...ystem-13231417

https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...sic-and-health

Please do what you can to stay healthy and calm, try to avoid the urge to panic - when you feel that stress building, dim the lights, kick back and listen to your favorite music. This will all pass soon enough…

Wishing everyone good health and good sound!
Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
xcjago, Billy p, Lp85253 and 1 others like this.
post #6166 of 6177 Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctors11 View Post
Here's Dave's wonderful comment about that.
That comment is prior to the state's lockdown order of March 19.

If they are open or closed, don't want to start a debate about whether they should be or the other.
post #6167 of 6177 Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 834
I'd be more worried about my next hair cut... around here if your not a hardware store, grocery or essential services....your closed.

Ascend Acoustics: Towers, STC w RAAL & 200 SE in espresso,
65" LG OLED C9, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo 103D,
Sub: Funk Audio 18: (Santos Rosewood)
Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!
post #6168 of 6177 Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
No rush on my end. I'm in the middle of a house remodel, so any upgrade would be months from now.
post #6169 of 6177 Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Liked: 4921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post
I'd be more worried about my next hair cut... around here if your not a hardware store, grocery or essential services....your closed.
Not me, 3 mm all around in the summer, and 6 mm all around in the winter!

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #6170 of 6177 Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Quote:
Not me, 3 mm all around in the summer, and 6 mm all around in the winter! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Damn...I wish, I'd settle on your winter cut...lol.
drh3b likes this.

Ascend Acoustics: Towers, STC w RAAL & 200 SE in espresso,
65" LG OLED C9, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo 103D,
Sub: Funk Audio 18: (Santos Rosewood)
Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!
post #6171 of 6177 Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Self-clipper cut for me come the first of May
Billy p and drh3b like this.
post #6172 of 6177 Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
We are navigating this challenging time as best as we can. We are answering emails and calls from our homes and I am personally fulfilling and shipping orders that come in as our employees stay home. In simpler terms, I will head to the office to get orders out (just me) and as such, have no contact with other people which I feel is even safer than being at my home (certainly more peaceful since my kids are cooped up in the house all day)
xcjago, Billy p, Lp85253 and 4 others like this.

David Fabrikant

post #6173 of 6177 Old Yesterday, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post
We are navigating this challenging time as best as we can. We are answering emails and calls from our homes and I am personally fulfilling and shipping orders that come in as our employees stay home. In simpler terms, I will head to the office to get orders out (just me) and as such, have no contact with other people which I feel is even safer than being at my home (certainly more peaceful since my kids are cooped up in the house all day)
Any chance we can get the Sierra EX 2s and Sierra's or maybe even the Towers a review from some reviewers that seem to have a grasp of what people like and dislike? Just some that come to mind.

Sean at Zero Fidelity
Steve Guttenberg
Thomas & Stereo
Joe N tell
J from the next best thing

They seem to be be pretty impartial with their reviews and I appreciate the recommendations on component matching. This would be kind of cool since most are staying home for a while longer.

I did have a question about the 2 EX and Sierra's. I have maybe a foot or so from the walls and just wondering what the recommended distance would be? If I need to go further then I would need to consider stands rather than leave on the entertainment center. Do they get boomy near the wall since they are rear ported?

I'm other words do they need a lot of breathing room?

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

[I]Video: Sony XBR-75X850C 75 inch 4k - Samsung 55inch 4k -58 PANASONIC PZ850u plasma
4k-Blu Ray: Sony UBP x800 - PS3 - oppo 103 Amp and power : Pioneer elite SC - 27 - Monster Power AVS 2000 Reference - DT BP 30s- 10s - citation 5.1
Speakers and Sub : Kef Model reference 1 - DT CLR 2000 - DT UIW BP/A in ceiling rears - DT BPX Rears - JTR Captivator 118HT
post #6174 of 6177 Old Yesterday, 11:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Joe N tell.. LOL. Ain't gonna happen!
Lp85253 likes this.
post #6175 of 6177 Old Today, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 81
s2000-

As I recall from the Ascend Forum, don't need much breathing room - a couple of inches (eg equal to the diameter of the port or a bit more). My S-2's (surround) are 4-5 inches from the wall.

LG OLED65E6P, Anthem MRX720, Rogue Atlas Magnum II, UPA7, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL, Luna Duo center, Sierra 2 surrounds, and HTM200SE front & rear heights, Rythmik E15HP (1, but plan on adding a 2nd), VPI Classic 1+ (VTA Tower, 3D arm), VAS NOVA and Soundsmith Paua cartridges, Manley Chinook, Oppo 103D, Oppo 203. Audio Sensibility and Blue Jeans cabling, Symposium & Isoacoustics isolation products
post #6176 of 6177 Old Today, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000 View Post
I did have a question about the 2 EX and Sierra's. I have maybe a foot or so from the walls and just wondering what the recommended distance would be? If I need to go further then I would need to consider stands rather than leave on the entertainment center. Do they get boomy near the wall since they are rear ported?

I'm other words do they need a lot of breathing room?

Thank you.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sierra-2 / Sierra-2EX do not need much breathing room behind them due to the bass alignment of the speaker. If running full range, I typically recommend a minimum of ~5-6". If running with a sub and crossed at 60Hz or higher, half that distance.

Sierra-1 running full range need a bit more breathing room.

David Fabrikant

post #6177 of 6177 Old Today, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcjago View Post
Joe N tell.. LOL. Ain't gonna happen!
guys a tool...zero fidelity would be nice ..
xcjago likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Acoustics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page