BIC DV62si (Ed Frias mods) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 08-28-2007, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody out there have a pair of these? Like 'em? I'm looking for bookshelf fronts for music and so far have listened to some that I liked (B&W 685, Paradigm Titans, Focal 806V) and some I didn't (Def Tech SM 350, Polk LS17, Klipsch RB61). Wondering how the BICs compare to these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 08-28-2007, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Nobody has these or has heard these speakers?
post #3 of 34 Old 08-28-2007, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I've never heard the 62sis but I've owned a pair of the DV62CLR-S mtm models with Ed's crossover mods, which should be better than the sis. I liked them (only with the mods, hated them without), but I didn't love them. I can tell you that at the time when Ed started modding these speakers, they were probably the best value going for small speakers, or certainly one of the best.

These days though, there are many other cheap bookshelf options that IMO beat them, or should beat them by reputation. I can tell you the SVS SBS-01s (from www.svsound.com) are definitely better, so their bigger SCS-01s would be even that much more of an improvement. They are a bit more expensive but well worth it.

I haven't heard them but the X series speakers from AV123 should definitely be better.

And I'd seriously recommend checking out the new Acculine A1s from www.theaudioinsider.com. They're $249/pair so definitely more money than the modded BICs but from the early reviews they're excellent speakers (and I know from experience that Jon Lane doesn't sell anything that doesn't sound great and that isn't a great value). He might have package pricing available if you ask, but don't quote me on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 08-28-2007, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked: 1589
post #5 of 34 Old 08-28-2007, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have some of EFE's own speakers, but have not heard their modified BICs. Their own speakers are amazing though, even the lower priced ones.

post #6 of 34 Old 08-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't heard Ed's EFE designs but I can guarantee you they sound a LOT better than the modded BICs.
post #7 of 34 Old 08-28-2007, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

One of the things I'm after is good bass response. Everyone who reviews the modified BIC DV62si says it's very good for a speaker that size. Looking at the specs of the other suggested speakers so far doesn't convince me that they would have a more solid bass then the BICs.
post #8 of 34 Old 08-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpierjockey View Post

One of the things I'm after is good bass response. Everyone who reviews the modified BIC DV62si says it's very good for a speaker that size. Looking at the specs of the other suggested speakers so far doesn't convince me that they would have a more solid bass then the BICs.

Correction -- it's probably good for a speaker that size and THAT PRICE.

If all you're concerned about is heavy bass regardless of sound quality, why don't you just go buy a big set of cheap Cerwin Vegas or something with huge cheap drivers? All the other speakers mentioned are considerably better products than the BICs, with or without Ed's mods (though from what you're saying, you might even prefer the BIC's cheap-sounding boom & sizzle without the mods).

A much better choice, if you are in fact interested in some level of sound quality, would be to get a somewhat better set of speakers like the SVSs, X series or Acculines, then add a sub when you get a little more money, for a decent little budget 2.1 system that would sound WAY better than the cheap BICs. PartsExpress.com for example sells a very popular Dayton sub for around $100 (maybe a few $ more) that would surely give you much better and deeper bass response than any cheap bookshelf speakers ever could.

By the way, you mentioned that you auditioned and liked the B&W 685, Paradigm Titans, and Focal 806V. I haven't heard any of these though I'm very familiar with the older version of the B&W, having owned a set of DM602 S2s for a while (and having spent a lot of time listening to the S3s). They, and probably the other two you mentioned, are WAY better speakers than the BICs, and should be for the prices. You'll never get sound from those BICs like you heard from the B&Ws and probably the others as well, so make sure your expectations are realistic.

If you're set on getting B&W 685 level sound, better to wait til you can afford to buy the speakers you really want.
post #9 of 34 Old 08-28-2007, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Since apparently no one hear has heard the BIC mods, how can you say they will not sound as good as the other speakers? If you read the reviews of the BIC mods at Audioreview, EVERY single person who has them raves about what the mod has done to the quality of the sound and say that Ed Frais is a genius and they compare favorably to $1000 speakers. I can get the BIC mods for $288/pair (inc shipping), but I'm not against paying up to $600/pair if I can get small speakers with a good bass response. Of course I know that a sub will help, but I'd rather get speakers that can stand on their own. From my listening experience, the highest price is not always the best. The Polks and Focals I metioned both cost $800/pair at Tweeter, and the Focals were a MUCH better sounding speaker (to my ears). The Titans and the Def Techs were both $500, but the Def Tech's sounded horrible. My goal is not to get a cheap speaker with big muddy bass. But I also don't want to get a speaker that has an ultra clear high end, wonderful soundstage, but has no warmth or soul at the lower end. My original question stands: has anyone compared the fully modified BIC's vs the B&Ws or the Paradigms? Should I pay $500-600 for speakers just because of their name or go with $300 speakers that may be equal to or outperform them?
post #10 of 34 Old 08-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Buddy, you're not paying attention. If you'll scroll up to post #3, you'll see that I owned a pair of the BETTER VERSION of the 62sis, the 62CLR-S, and I'm very familiar with the older version of the B&Ws you listened to and I'm telling you in no uncertain terms THE MODDED BICS ARE NOT AS GOOD. Period. I'm a professional sound engineer -- I do not need a side-by-side comparison to know that. I bought the stock BICs, listened to them, burned them in, listened again, then sent them to Ed, got them back, and listened extensively again -- then I sold them.

If you're willing to spend $600, why are you even considering $100 speakers with mods that make them moderately better??

You need to spend some time doing a lot more research and listening, if you want to get the best value for your dollar and end up with something you'll really be happy with. If not, please go ahead and buy those modded BICs, then come back and give us your review of them. We'll be more than pleased to read it.
post #11 of 34 Old 08-29-2007, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

I apologize... I wasn't paying enough attention (it was late). I don't question your qualifications, but what am I supposed to do when I do go and do extensive research and get conflicting opinions from other "qualified" audiophiles? Well I'm not going to spend a couple hundred bucks to fly out to Arizona to hear Ed's speakers. The main point that I disagree with you is that more bucks=better speaker. Bose is best example of that. Perhaps Ed's fully modified 62sis are equal to $600 speakers? Only way to tell is a side by side comparison, and that's what I've been asking for here- if anyone has compared the fully modified 62sis to the other speakers I have heard.

There are 3 types of BIC DV62si speakers. Standard from the factory, only the crossovers modified and those bought directly from Ed Frias which are extensively modified. Here's what Ed has to say.
The more extensive modification includes the measuring of all drivers to make sure they are balanced and meet specs, also rebuilding the crossovers to a much higher standard of accuracy, and lastly measuring all components to make perfectly matching pairs. All capacitors, resistors and inductors are measured and matched within 1% of each other. Not only is the midrange and highs improved with this modification, but the bass is also improved (cleaner and tighter) by using much higher-grade inductors. This completely reworked version produces audiophile quality sound and presents a cleaner, smoother and more accurate sound than the $32 modification! It will honestly compete with speakers costing much more than $250pr! Sometimes BIC speakers come from the factory with drivers that do not match or may have slight defects, in these cases the simple $32 mod may not improve the sound! Example: I've received a brand new factory fresh pair of speakers with a tweeter that failed to meet specifications! It still worked but the high frequency response was far below standard on one speaker. This is why it is important to buy a pair of speakers that have been completely measured and balanced as with the extensively modified version. Defective drivers are replaced in such cases. This kind of quality control is usually found only in much more expensive audiophile speakers. If you send just the crossovers from a pair of previously bought BIC speakers, there is no way to tell if the drivers in your speakers meet specs.

Excerpts from 3 (plenty more) great reviews for the fully modified 62sis:
They have a much larger sound than you would expect from a small bookshelf speaker. The bass is very good w/o a subwooferfor music, the sub is optional depending on the type of music you are listening tonice clean sound. The high end is very clear, not too harsh. The midrange blends well with the high & low ends. They're the type of speaker you can listen to for long periods of time w/o fatigue. You can crank them louder than you would ever need to. a side by side comparison w/ Paradigm Mini Monitors and frankly the Mini Monitors could not compete... performed much better in the same comparison with Phase Research R's. I have designed some Home Theaters for remodeling projects that our company has constructed. We just finished one that used PSB Mini Stratas at about $1000 per pair. I can honestly say that I can't justify the extra money.

strikes you is the range on these little speakers, these go down LOW. I was sure that at some point it would bottom out and begin to distort, but that point NEVER CAME. The accuracy is unbelievable. Flaws in recording are immediately noticeable due to the incredible clarity of the speakers. Ed mentioned that he carefully tunes each speaker he builds to the natural sound of live instruments, and I believe him. Instrumentals were simply pure and flawless. The night before the audition, I spent a good hour at Tweeter, listening to every bookshelf speaker they had ($150-$800) and I have to say not a single one could even begin to touch what I had heard at Ed's house. Ed's were audibly clearer, more accurate & balanced, and reached lower than any bookshelf I've ever heard.

I purchased the "extensively modified" 62si's from Ed and couldn't be more satisfied. The speakers produce a well rounded sound and are crystal clear at all volumes." "I did test several bookshelf speakers before deciding to go with the BIC's and these little black boxes sound as good as or better than $700 - $1000 speakers.
post #12 of 34 Old 08-29-2007, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There are any number of good speakers in the $600/pr range and you should listen to as many of them as you can before you buy anything. EFE makes a $600 speaker, the B-15, but I have not heard it so I can't comment on it. But since hearing is so subjective, my opinion of any speaker might not match yours anyway, so you should always do what you can to listen yourself.

If you are interested in EFE's modified BIC, why don't you contact EFE and ask them to put you in touch with someone in your area who has them and who will let you listen to them? Then make up your own mind.

And einstein, I can't fault the OP for being a bit confused by your posts. You seem to be giving opinions, and guarantees, about speakers you have not heard as well as speakwrs you have heard. It is hard to tell which is which. And no one should be offering opinions, or making guarantees, about speakers they have not heard. And burning-in speakers? All the sound engineers and speaker manufacturers I have spoken with have said that doing that is as silly as buying expensive cables. If you know of any scientific basis for burning-in a speaker, perhaps you can pass it on.

post #13 of 34 Old 08-29-2007, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Trust me, I'm trying to listen to as many as I can, but it just isn't to easy here in the middle of nowheresville, NC.

Thanks for the suggestion- I actually thought of that myself last night also. Hopefully Ed will put me in touch with someone not too far away.

I've read the burn in thing so many times, I thought is was gospel- all the harshness mellows out with time. I'm no electrical engineer, but is it possible the cones can "stretch out" a tiny bit with use to make for a mellower sound?
post #14 of 34 Old 08-29-2007, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've read a lot of things that are promoted as gospel but are really just snake oil or psuedo-science. My neighbor is a recording engineer and musician, my dad is a top electrical engineer, and I have spoken with a number of speaker manufacturers, all of whom assert that speaker burn-in does nothing noticeable. But I am not a speaker engineer myself, so I am only taking their word for it.

post #15 of 34 Old 08-29-2007, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Hmm, it's interesting that you found my posts confusing... I thought I was very clear on what I have and have not in fact heard. And in the case of the speakers I haven't heard, I either said I have no experience with them so cannot comment on them at all (e.g., the Focals and Titans) or I am familiar with older or similar models, so my assumptions should be valid. For example, I'm very familiar with B&W DM602 S2s and S3s. I know from experience that each version of these speakers has been noticeably better than the last. The 685 is the newest iteration of these speakers so I believe it's very reasonable to assume they're at least as good as the 602s, probably somewhat better, unless B&W has very recently gone down the tubes.

As for the BICs, you're right, I'm well aware of the 3 versions you described. I have the same packet of material from Ed that you just quoted from. Yes, it's definitely possible the fully modded versions are better than the crossover-only versions. Are they likely to be completely different to the point of being world-class speakers? I'm going to say it's unlikely, since they do in fact use the exact same drivers and cabinet, and a very similar, though more personally tuned, crossover. They'll definitely be more consistent from one example to the next, but completely different? Doubt it.

And I did explain that the ones I've owned were the DV62CLR-S, not the 62si -- but I would love to see even one example of someone who's owned both and thought the 62si was better than the CLR-S. I've read the same reviews you have, and found universally that folks thought the bigger CLR-S was the better speaker. Therefore, if the OLDER version of the B&Ws in question is clearly better than the BETTER version of the speakers you're asking about, I don't think my conclusions and assumptions are too big a stretch.

My engineering partner agreed with me, that the BICs (with crossover-only mods) were surprisingly nice for what I paid, which was something like $200 for the pair plus the cost of the crossover mods, if I recall. A very good value.

And the general point that "more money does not always mean a better speaker" is definitely valid. However, in this low price range, even a few hundred dollars more usually does equate to much better speakers. It's when you get into the higher priced products that the rule of diminishing returns starts to kick in. For example, how much better will an $8000 pair of speakers be than a $6000 pair? $2000 better? Maybe, maybe not. The cheaper speaker might be preferred by many; at that price range, it's usually all pretty good, and you're just choosing flavors of excellent. However there's usually a VERY big difference between a pair of say $169/pair bookshelf speakers and a $600 pair. And when you get into the high value ID brands, there's usually an even bigger difference in quality.

Please, do not use Bose as an example of anything other than pure evil. They are FAR from typical!! Everyone with any experience at all knows you're only paying for a world-class marketing campaign; otherwise they're pretty much junk.

I'd also caution against putting too much faith in anything you read on AudioReview.com. I've almost never found a bad review on there! Keep in mind, the vast majority of people posting reviews there just bought their new speakers and they're loving them, so whatever they paid for them they usually rave about how great they are. Of course there are exceptions, and there are some really experienced and knowledgeable people on there. But in general, you'll find the same adjectives used on that site for $200 speakers as $2000 ones. You're much better off finding a few users on forums like this one who obviously have years of experience comparing different brands and learning what you can from them (while of course, in the end, only trusting your own ears to decide what to buy and keep).

As for the burn-in issue, that's a debate that's been raging since the beginning of audiophilia, and will probably keep raging for many years to come. In my experience, I've owned speakers, and headphones too for that matter, that did definitely benefit from burn-in, and I've also owned some that did not. My Swan 5.2s sound a bit more open than they originally did, but no major changes. My engineering partner's Dali Helicon 800s definitely improved with a few dozen hours of use.

And by the way, while we're discussing engineers and speaker designers that do or do not believe in burn-in, Jon Lane of TheAudioInsider.com definitely recommends burn-in for his Swans. And it was Ed Frias himself, while we're on the subject, who explained to me on the phone a couple years ago that in his experience, tweeters generally don't change with burn in, but woofers do. He said the suspensions will loosen up slightly on SOME drivers, causing the mids and lows to warm up and open up, which can give the impression that the highs have become less prominent or harsh in comparison. Please feel free to call and ask him yourself; I'm sure he'll confirm this.

When I first started reading about the modded BICs I became very curious about them too, which is why I bought them. After owning the crossover modded ones, my curiosity was satisfied -- to my ears, they were quite good FOR THE LOW PRICE I PAID but not up to my standards so I sold them. YMMV.
post #16 of 34 Old 08-29-2007, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnilsson View Post

...And burning-in speakers? All the sound engineers and speaker manufacturers I have spoken with have said that doing that is as silly as buying expensive cables. If you know of any scientific basis for burning-in a speaker, perhaps you can pass it on.

By the way... IMO buying expensive cables really is silly.
post #17 of 34 Old 08-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

I used to have a 5.1 setup comprised of Bic's. DV64 fronts, DV62CLRS center and DV62si rears. All had crossovers modified by Ed Frias. As einsteinjb said, there are probably better options available now from av123, SVS etc. The modified Bic's sound very good for the price, but I felt that they lacked in many areas. For Home theater they were great and filled the room easily. For critical music listening they were lacking. They had a narrow soundstage and would compress at high volumes. they were enjoyable, but not great.

The DV62si does produce a good amount of bass for a bookshelf and if you can find a pair for under $120 they are still a good value. I just think there are other great values out there that will sound a little better. I would also check audiogon and find a good pair of used monitors that would blow away the Bic's, modified or not.
post #18 of 34 Old 08-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

BTW, the EFE crossover mods did make a big improvement compared to stock.
post #19 of 34 Old 08-29-2007, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Yep I'll agree with everything Johsti said. Excellent description of their performance. I really did like the DV62CLR-S as a center speaker for home theater. Dialog was very clear on it. In fact I had one set up as my center with the B&W DM602 S2s as mains and had no complaints about it for HT. Music is definitely where you'll start to notice the speaker's shortcomings.

And I also agree about Ed's mods -- without them I thought the speakers just plain sucked, totally unlistenable to me. With them, they became a very listenable set of cheap speakers, representing a very good value for the low price. I don't want to take anything away from Ed's skills, he definitely knows his craft.

I asked Ed once why he bothers spending time modifying cheap speakers, when there are companies making very good inexpensive speakers that don't need modification. He told me at the time when he started doing it, there were very few options out there for people who really wanted great sound but had a very low budget. He liked the drivers used in the BICs and realized they'd sound a lot better with a better crossover, so he started doing them as a good low cost option for people to get into decent sound. I would imagine he's realized by now that the market's changing and cheap speakers are getting better (at least the ID brands are), but maybe he'll keep doing it as long as there's a demand for it...

I would like to point one thing out about the BICs. The cabinets are pretty much bottom of the line, quality-wise. They look cheap and slapped together, especially if you open them up and peek inside. They're thin, really not braced, pretty much just pieces of thin MDF cut and glued together with drivers and a crossover popped in. The vinyl (I believe) wrap is also low quality. These suckers aren't winning any WAF contests.

I don't recall if Ed does anything to improve the build or bracing or dampening of the cabinets on his fully modded ones... Might want to ask him about that.
post #20 of 34 Old 08-30-2007, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ed Frias once told me the same thing he told einstein about why he sold modified BICs: he was trying to give people a relatively cheap speaker that did what no other speaker did in its price range. But it was never his primary market and he seemed to do it more as a favor to people in that price range than anything else. Give Ed a call and chat with him about your concerns. He is an honest and straightforward guy and may even point you to another speaker company entirely.

post #21 of 34 Old 02-12-2008, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinjb View Post

You need to spend some time doing a lot more research and listening, if you want to get the best value for your dollar and end up with something you'll really be happy with. If not, please go ahead and buy those modded BICs, then come back and give us your review of them. We'll be more than pleased to read it.

Sorry for the long delay, but with my entertainment center being built, the holidays and some surgery thrown into the mix, it's taken me awhile to get this response out. I was lucky enough to find someone locally who owned a set of Ed Frias modified DV62si speakers and he graciously let me come over to give them a listen. It took exactly 5 minutes to say yes, that's exactly what I was looking for. So I went ahead and ordered a pair plus the modified DV62CLRS center from Ed. $480 total for the 3 speakers and shipping. I put them up at the end of October, so they've had plenty of burn-in time. The 2 fronts are not optimally placed, due to room configuration and the design of the entertainment center: they are too close together and they are too "enclosed". Despite that, these speakers are truly outstanding. Even without a sub or rear surrounds (not yet), movie/tv watching is just incredible. Vocals are crisp and clear. Action scenes with lots of noise are very powerful, with plenty of bass and no muddiness. Excellent channel separation. No ear fatique at high volume. Listening to music is just as enjoyable. Clarity and sharpness are excellent. Considering their size, the bass response is remarkable. Interesting issue with sound stage. When listening to more recent cds, the sound separation is lacking, but my guess is that a lot of that is due to the large amount of compression used in the recording studio these days. But when I listen to some older vinyl, the individual instruments just leap out! The one issue I have is with loudness. If I really crank it and make the windows rattle, the sound gets "busy". Not distorted really, just less crisp and clear. I wonder if that has more to do with my receiver (Onkyo TXSR705) then the speakers? So yes, in my non-audiophile opinion, the much less expensive Ed Frias modified BIC Venturi speakers are much better sounding then the $600-$800/pair Polks, Focals, Def Techs and Paradigm speakers I listened to and match up very well (except for soundstage/separation) with the B&W 685. If you are looking for very high quality, small bookshelf speakers with very good bass response for a very reasonable price I would highly recommend buying these fully modified and matched speakers from Ed Frias.
post #22 of 34 Old 02-12-2008, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for your review. There WILL always be a market for entry lvl or bang for the buck speaker buyers. As many buyers before you, they all agree..BICs are great speakers for the price.
post #23 of 34 Old 07-17-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johsti View Post

I used to have a 5.1 setup comprised of Bic's. DV64 fronts, DV62CLRS center and DV62si rears. All had crossovers modified by Ed Frias. As einsteinjb said, there are probably better options available now from av123, SVS etc. The modified Bic's sound very good for the price, but I felt that they lacked in many areas.

The DV62si does produce a good amount of bass for a bookshelf and if you can find a pair for under $120 they are still a good value. I just think there are other great values out there that will sound a little better. I would also check audiogon and find a good pair of used monitors that would blow away the Bic's, modified or not.

This is not the only post that says there are better alternatives for the Bics. I just looked at offerings from AV123, SVS, and looked at Audiogon website and the prices for the first two are considerably more expensive for comparable offerings to the Bic, not to mention the frequency response does not go as low.

I don't know how much Ed Frias charges for the XO mod, but assuming it's around $40 or $50 the Bic still looks like the speaker to beat in terms of price to performance. I haven't seen anyone suggest a speaker that offers better bang for the buck and we are in 2009. Even if these other speakers you suggest offer better soundstage and resonance, they only go down to 60hz. Some of us want something that offers something more full spectrum like these Bics because we don't want to (or can't accomodate) a subwoofer (like those who live in apartment).
post #24 of 34 Old 12-03-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahadragon View Post

This is not the only post that says there are better alternatives for the Bics. I just looked at offerings from AV123, SVS, and looked at Audiogon website and the prices for the first two are considerably more expensive for comparable offerings to the Bic, not to mention the frequency response does not go as low.

I don't know how much Ed Frias charges for the XO mod, but assuming it's around $40 or $50 the Bic still looks like the speaker to beat in terms of price to performance. I haven't seen anyone suggest a speaker that offers better bang for the buck and we are in 2009. Even if these other speakers you suggest offer better soundstage and resonance, they only go down to 60hz. Some of us want something that offers something more full spectrum like these Bics because we don't want to (or can't accomodate) a subwoofer (like those who live in apartment).

I know this took a long time to answer, but I am going to agree! Some of the above posters were a little confusing by saying they only liked it after the $30.00 mod but hated it before? I dont know how, when this is supposed to be one of the best center channel speakers without the mod, even to this day! It seemed they were trying to deter the O.P. from BICs? They didnt think that the extensive mod made that much difference in sound quality, then just paying for a slightly modded crossover, which is all they had? Ed explained that it's a HUGE difference, and thus the definition of EXTENSIVE! Ed Frias custom tunes each component in every speaker to exacting standards, using much better quality parts in the speaker and crossover. This is why you get a low cost speaker to sound as good as a higher priced speaker! When Ed clearly states that he personaly compared his highly modified DV62CLRs and they sound better then the very expensive and top performing brands he mentioned, I believe him! I am leaning on getting a few of these myself, as Ed told me they are excellent for 2 channel music listening as well. I told him it might take a while, as I enjoy great sound, but times are tight right now. I also thought of paying more for his higher cost EFE brands, that some of his very prominent clients said, sounded as good as $10,000 to 20,000 speakers. Good thing my tastes don't need to go that high!
post #25 of 34 Old 12-14-2009, 11:19 AM

Well I can't afford the highly modified EFE version so I had to order the stock version of the DV62CLR-S. I have had them for a few days and am continuing to break them in before deciding whether I want to send them to Ed or not for the crossover mod. I have been leaning very strongly that way since before I even purchased the speakers but I wanted to at least give them a chance in their stock form.
post #26 of 34 Old 12-15-2009, 10:28 AM

My DV62CLR-S is due to arrive tomorrow and is meant as replacement for my Onkyo HTIB center channel speaker. For the front L/R's, I still haven't decided between either two more DV62CLR-S's or a couple of the DV64 towers. I spoke to Ed over the weekend and was very impressed with how personable he is. My home theater budget is so tight that it is not even funny so it helps knowing that by going with BIC speakers, I can live with for awhile and if I decide later, I always have the option of sending crossovers to Ed.

BTW, I am also planning on buying four of the DV62si bookshelf speakers for my surrounds.
post #27 of 34 Old 12-16-2009, 04:52 PM

Sounds great! I am interested in how it turns out!
post #28 of 34 Old 01-22-2010, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I tried Ed's mod and it was an improvement but I still was not satisfied. Being an incessant modder myself I just could not leave well enough alone. The major problem was not getting enough high midrange out. These are two way speakers and that's the way they sound, with or without Ed's mod. The other problem was the tendency to be tunnel-ish.

So I made my own mod. My mod fixes both those problems. It took a long time and lots of testing but it's finally done. It's amazing. The DV62si's sound like 3-ways. The articulation of the voice is there in all it's glory. The soundstage is much more three dimensional.

BIC DV62si speaker mod for warm musical sound. PM me for info.
post #29 of 34 Old 01-24-2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post

So I made my own mod. My mod fixes both those problems.

OK, the suspense is killing me... What is your mod?
post #30 of 34 Old 01-24-2010, 06:15 PM

I am using four "stock" DV62si's for surrounds in my 7.1 system. All three fronts are "stock" DV62CLR-S and one BIC F12 sub. Very pleased! All speaker set to small with crossovers at 80. My wife has it cranked up at this very moment listening to a Gospel Music Awards show on Direct TV.
Ketnis likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page