Triad Owner's Thread - Page 258 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 812Likes

post #7711 of 9683 Old 12-11-2015, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAV View Post
Really great to hear they worked out so well for you after doing your due diligence. I'm curious if these are still appropriate for 9' ceilings or if I need something with an even wider dispersion (or if tilting them a bit more would do the trick).
Well............

My Kef drivers sit at 9' 8" to be exact....................if you intend to use them in ceiling, I see to problem. Remember, my backer boxes sit on ceiling and I use acoustic treatments to surround boxes to combat SBIR response do to ceiling boundary.
DigitalAV likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7712 of 9683 Old 12-11-2015, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
So, on the last day of CEDIA and literally the last 5 minutes the show was open, I strolled over to the Triad booth. They were already taking the booth apart. My friend Peter says, "Have you seen the Triad InWall Atmos module with the laser pointer?" I said huh?

Sure enough there it was -- on a shelf along with the modules I showed earlier.

Below you can see the laser (used for pointing the ribbon tweeter to your selected location on the ceiling) on the bottom right of the ribbon array.

Before you get too excited about this, please understand that this product is a very early prototype with no pricing and no expected delivery date.
But at least this tells us where Triad is headed in the future.
Impressive! Hope to see something like this in the future from other companies. If not, Triad might be looking in the future for me.
post #7713 of 9683 Old 12-16-2015, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I would like to get some opinions from some Triad owners. I'm looking at two sets of used speakers, i spoke and emailed photos to Triad tech support and he confirmed the age of the speakers.

One guy has a (3) in room silver LCR manufactured 2008 about $700 plus shipping the silvers would match pretty well with the current silvers surrounds tweeter according to Triad

Another option is (3) in room gold LCR manufactured 2006 for asking $3600 plus shipping

They will be behind a AT screen, room is 14x26x8 with two rows of seats. I have two 18" diy subs and acoustic some GIK panels. I probably listen mostly around - 10 to 20 from reference depending on the movie, but do run at reference once in a while.

My question, is it worth the additional cost for the golds. Is there that much of a "WOW" factor between the two. I know one is a three way with 8.5" drivers vs a two way with 6.5" drivers.

If there is not such a huge difference that leaves extra cash for some other up grades.

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7714 of 9683 Old 12-16-2015, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1956
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwackaod View Post
I would like to get some opinions from some Triad owners. I'm looking at two sets of used speakers, i spoke and emailed photos to Triad tech support and he confirmed the age of the speakers.

One guy has a (3) in room silver LCR manufactured 2008 about $700 plus shipping the silvers would match pretty well with the current silvers surrounds tweeter according to Triad

Another option is (3) in room gold LCR manufactured 2006 for asking $3600 plus shipping

They will be behind a AT screen, room is 14x26x8 with two rows of seats. I have two 18" diy subs and acoustic some GIK panels. I probably listen mostly around - 10 to 20 from reference depending on the movie, but do run at reference once in a while.

My question, is it worth the additional cost for the golds. Is there that much of a "WOW" factor between the two. I know one is a three way with 8.5" drivers vs a two way with 6.5" drivers.

If there is not such a huge difference that leaves extra cash for some other up grades.

Thanks for any input.
Do you listen near reference levels? You can do the math and determine it for yourself but I suspect the Silver LCR may have trouble getting to reference volume at the distance of your second row.

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/2013322spl-calculator/

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html
post #7715 of 9683 Old 12-16-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Do you listen near reference levels? You can do the math and determine it for yourself but I suspect the Silver LCR may have trouble getting to reference volume at the distance of your second row.

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/2013322spl-calculator/

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html
I forgot to include that I'm running a xpa5 and seating distance is 12' and 18'.

I guess I'm really trying to find out are the golds going to be that much more dynamic and better overall vs the silvers. I can't listen to both, so I have no idea what I could be missing. I'm sure the Silver series would work well compared to my old Mirage speakers.
post #7716 of 9683 Old 12-16-2015, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I forgot to include that I'm running a xpa5 and seating distance is 12' and 18'.

I guess I'm really trying to find out are the golds going to be that much more dynamic and better overall vs the silvers. I can't listen to both, so I have no idea what I could be missing. I'm sure the Silver series would work well compared to my old Mirage speakers.
"That much better" is hard to judge. They are five times the cost, according to your post. Are they five times better? That's in the ear of the beholder and based in large measure on your budget.

If there is no budget impact, and this is a rounding error on your system cost, definitely go for the Gold.

But if you have a limited budget and the price difference makes a difference and there are other useful or important things you'd otherwise spend the money on, the Silvers would be my choice.

And I'd spend the savings on professional room treatment, audio and video calibration.
post #7717 of 9683 Old 12-16-2015, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 4674 Post(s)
Liked: 4858
Agreed with the post above. It really depends on your system goals and overall budget. If $3k is no big deal then whatever, go for the gold (pun intended) and splurge.

But if that incremental spend is going to take away from other important aspects of your system, then the Silvers are the practical choice. Especially if you don't really need full reference level output and will be crossing over to big bad subs.

I have Bronze LCRs of the same general vintage and they have no problem getting to -10db at a 11-12ft listening distance powered by the internal amps in my Denon 5200.
post #7718 of 9683 Old 12-17-2015, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Ps if you don't buy those Silvers please connect me with the seller. I would love to upgrade my last gen Bronzes one day.
post #7719 of 9683 Old 12-17-2015, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Could I get some advice please good people.

In my bedroom I have had 2 x Silver 4 Mini monitors for several years and recently added a 65"JS9500 4K tv.

My AVR just died and I would like to buy:

1) New AVR (budget flexible... nothing crazy, just something adequate that will not let down the speakers or tv)

2) A center channel - I was thinking about another matching mini monitor or an in wall horizontal silver 4 center

3) 2 x small form factor surrounds that can be on wall or on ceiling mounted.

My usage over the years has changed and is:
70% Movies and Series
20% Video Games
10% Music

Can you guys please give me some advice on the AVR and speaker selection?

Also would you keep stereo or add a centre? I have a baby in the room next door and liked the idea of being able to turn up the center channel for dialogue while being able to keep the explosions and such at lower volume

I am not 100% convinced (although tempted) on adding surrounds in the bedroom but welcome thoughts.

Thanks

Last edited by Farris; 12-17-2015 at 04:45 PM.
post #7720 of 9683 Old 12-18-2015, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Hi Farris,

I would use another Silver MiniMonitor for your center channel. For surrounds, the same thing, or the InCeiling version.

Go with the Marantz SR6010 as your AVR.

Dawn

[email protected]
post #7721 of 9683 Old 12-21-2015, 06:56 PM

I picked up used in room silver LCR's for the front stage and will be trying them out hopefully over the next several days once they arrive. I'm sure I'll be happy with the sound quality, but maybe not total SLP. If they don't work out up front i'll move two to the rear and keep the third as a spare and pick up golds for the front instead.

I need some thoughts from some owners using silvers for side surround. I have two rows and the side surround is between each row (favored closer to the front row) and about 24" above ear level. Face of the speaker to the end chair in the row is about 3' and to MLP 6' give a few inches I'm currently using small mono-poles for side and rear surrounds. Would using a in wall or on wall silver LCR be to much for that distance. Or would a silver surround order as a bi-pole work better(room is 14x26x8). I would like the best set up for object based audio which prefers mono-poles.

Thanks
post #7722 of 9683 Old 12-23-2015, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Side seats will be a tad too close to the sides for direct radiating surrounds, but it will definitely be ok for the MLP.

[email protected]
post #7723 of 9683 Old 12-24-2015, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
I picked up used in room silver LCR's for the front stage and will be trying them out hopefully over the next several days once they arrive. I'm sure I'll be happy with the sound quality, but maybe not total SLP. If they don't work out up front i'll move two to the rear and keep the third as a spare and pick up golds for the front instead.

I need some thoughts from some owners using silvers for side surround. I have two rows and the side surround is between each row (favored closer to the front row) and about 24" above ear level. Face of the speaker to the end chair in the row is about 3' and to MLP 6' give a few inches I'm currently using small mono-poles for side and rear surrounds. Would using a in wall or on wall silver LCR be to much for that distance. Or would a silver surround order as a bi-pole work better(room is 14x26x8). I would like the best set up for object based audio which prefers mono-poles.

Thanks
I have silvers all around (7) in my HT. They have been great. The sides are about 10" above ear level and within spec for Atmos. I will say I have 4 seats in my front row and the two outer seats do get a little hot spotting being about 4' from them but it's not bad imo. The two MLP's in the center are great though. Love my speakers . Just need some ceiling speakers for atmos one day now
post #7724 of 9683 Old 12-28-2015, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Need help with Triad speakers

Hello, I am building a new house with a HT and would like some help with the Triad speakers being proposed by a system integrator that I am thinking of hiring. It will be a Atmos system with 4 in-ceiling speakers.

Here is the proposed list..

3 IR Platinum LCR-paint finish. (in back of a false wall)
2 IR Platinum subs w/ rack amp 600-paint finish (in back of false wall)
2 IR Silver LCR-paint
4 IR silver LRH Dolby Atmos-paint
2 IW Bronze/4 slimSub w/ rackamp350 (smoothing subs in side walls)
2 IW gold/4 surrounds

My questions are..

1. The 4 IR silver LRH look like they are "height" speakers and not in-ceiling, which seems wrong, from the little I know. The height speakers are supposed to mount on the top of floorstanders, correct? That can't work here? Yes/No? What would be the correct speakers for in-ceiling?

2. Is it now common practice to have bipole for the side surrounds and monopoles for the rear surrounds?

3. Is Gold on the side surrounds and silver for the rear surrounds the optimum selection for price/performance?

Any other comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dave
post #7725 of 9683 Old 12-28-2015, 08:53 AM

I'd ask the installer why, if building from scratch, he would choose the reflected height speakers rather than doing actual in ceiling speakers? Nearly everyone agrees physical overhead speakers in the preferred solution. It's not like you have to compromise due to existing room constraints.
post #7726 of 9683 Old 12-28-2015, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by easycruise View Post
Hello, I am building a new house with a HT and would like some help with the Triad speakers being proposed by a system integrator that I am thinking of hiring. It will be a Atmos system with 4 in-ceiling speakers.

2 IR Silver LCR-paint
2 IW gold/4 surrounds

My questions are..

1. The 4 IR silver LRH look like they are "height" speakers and not in-ceiling, which seems wrong, from the little I know. The height speakers are supposed to mount on the top of floorstanders, correct? That can't work here? Yes/No? What would be the correct speakers for in-ceiling?

2. Is it now common practice to have bipole for the side surrounds and monopoles for the rear surrounds?

3. Is Gold on the side surrounds and silver for the rear surrounds the optimum selection for price/performance?

Dave
that setup sounds kinda wonky. can you give us some room sizes? also height modules vs ceiling mounted? do you have really low ceilings? you have a false wall. . . i don't know how u would use the modules then?

i would be matching the sides and surrounds personally. a lot of people are starting to use bipoles for their sides and surrounds due to room width and to get more dispersion.

i just personally find the mixing of all different lines (plat, gold, silver) kinda weird. if you have plats up front i'm thinking you have a fairly large room. . . so i figured he would have just picked golds all around for sides and surrounds.

some room info is deff needed and i would love to hear the explanation of why a mix or silver and gold and direct with dipoles.

jim
post #7727 of 9683 Old 12-29-2015, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 2121
Quote:

2 IR Silver LCR-paint
2 IW gold/4 surrounds

My questions are..

Dave

If you're doing Atmos, skip the bipole and dipole speakers. You want monopole (standard) speakers to help keep the bed layer cohesive. I have Platinum LCR's of the CinemaPlus variety and they are paired with Gold LCR's for surrounds. AVS user @audioguy has Platinum LCRs and his are paired with Silver Monitors. I'd suggest following one of these routes, and going with another non-triad ceiling speaker for atmos. Based on listening reports (and my own experiences at trade shows), dedicated ceiling speakers are superior to the atmos-enabled speakers like what Triad offers. I'm going with GoldenEar HTR7000's in a six speaker config (fewer dispersion issues), audioguy went with some larger speakers (I forget their model) in a four speaker config, but his speakers meet the dispersion requirements for Atmos so four is all he needs. Your integrator needs some help. Talk to Dawn Gordon on this thread...she'll set you on the right path. It's clear that the knowledge base you find here will be superior to that of your integrator. Might be best to use him only for purchase and, if so inclined, installation.
post #7728 of 9683 Old 12-29-2015, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4580 Post(s)
Liked: 3349
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
If you're doing Atmos, skip the bipole and dipole speakers. You want monopole (standard) speakers to help keep the bed layer cohesive. I have Platinum LCR's of the CinemaPlus variety and they are paired with Gold LCR's for surrounds. AVS user @audioguy has Platinum LCRs and his are paired with Silver Monitors. I'd suggest following one of these routes, and going with another non-triad ceiling speaker for atmos. Based on listening reports (and my own experiences at trade shows), dedicated ceiling speakers are superior to the atmos-enabled speakers like what Triad offers. I'm going with GoldenEar HTR7000's in a six speaker config (fewer dispersion issues), audioguy went with some larger speakers (I forget their model) in a four speaker config, but his speakers meet the dispersion requirements for Atmos so four is all he needs. Your integrator needs some help. Talk to Dawn Gordon on this thread...she'll set you on the right path. It's clear that the knowledge base you find here will be superior to that of your integrator. Might be best to use him only for purchase and, if so inclined, installation.
^^^^ What he said.

PLUS: Dump the idea of Triad subs. There are too many excellent Internet Direct options that will provide much better performance at much less cost. (First on my list would be Seaton Sound). I have integrated/calibrated a room with the top of the line Triad subs and while they sounded fine within their limits, the in-room response dies a bit north of 20HZ. And I would also reiterate Matt's recommendation to examine why your integrator would EVER recommend speakers with the Atmos module built in. If you have no other option, that is one thing but ceiling mounted Atmos speakers is the far superior solution, particularly given the $$ you will be spending on all of your base level speakers.

Call Dawn, or any number of other KNOWLEDGEABLE Traid dealers [based upon some recent experience with a friend looking at Triad, some of their dealers/integrators have no clue and really do not know much about audio in general and immersive surround/HT in particular.]
post #7729 of 9683 Old 12-29-2015, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for your replys!

1. The room is 22 ft long(after subtracting 3 ft. for the false wall) x 15 ft. wide with 12 ft. ceilings with a floating soffitt 2 ft. down from the ceiling ( to hold the black lights to illuminate the starfield mural)

2. I don't think I want monopoles due to the potential for hotspotting when you are not in the MLP. The room will only be 14.5 ft. wide after drywall and the sectional couch will be around 11 ft. wide, and the "fainting couch" will be on the far side. And from what I've read, bipoles are definitely preferred over dipoles for Atmos installations. Besides, I've always liked the dispersion sound of the DefTech type of speakers. ;-)

3. @jimim I think the surround speakers from Triad can be wired either bipole or dipole, according to customer request, from what I've read.

4. Went through my old notes last night after posting here and it turns out that back in May of this year, people like Dennis Erskine were recommending mounting "height" speakers up in the ceiling because Triad hadn't come out with any in-ceiling solution yet. Surely they must have come out with one now, 7 months later? I am wondering if my integrator is still using that old work-around. He says he is trying to contact Triad, but they have a skeleton staff for the holidays.

4. @audioguy , What in-ceiling speakers did you go with? Craigjohn was telling me about your system with the D-Sonic amps. I have been to his house twice to hear his Plats. I might go with those amps, how are they working out for you? I have personally met Mark Seaton at a AVS GTG a few years ago. Very nice guy. (And you're right, his Submersive subs are highly regarded) . Maybe I met you there too? At Gorilla83's house?
post #7730 of 9683 Old 12-29-2015, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

deleted

Last edited by easycruise; 12-29-2015 at 06:18 AM. Reason: duplicate post
post #7731 of 9683 Old 12-29-2015, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Narrow rooms are always a trade-off for side surrounds. We generally spec bipoles when the "desired" listening position is 5 feet or less from the sides. Now this depends on the importance of the side seats and the number of seats in the row. The MLP is going to be in the center, so it's your call on bipoles vs. direct radiating speakers.

BTW Erskine has had good success mounting bipoles in the ceiling for Atmos.

[email protected]
post #7732 of 9683 Old 12-29-2015, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Another potential problem I forsee is that there will be a small bar height table with two bar stools all the way in the rear of the room, which will be approx. 20 ft. away from the Plats. I remember experts recently saying things like..

""You’re not going to get a 1” dome tweeter to send 14kHz to 20kHz out to 16’ without burning up the tweeter.""

I guess that means that the highs will be muted from that far away? Should I think about horns and compression drivers instead?

Last edited by easycruise; 12-29-2015 at 07:15 AM.
post #7733 of 9683 Old 12-29-2015, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
4. @audioguy , What in-ceiling speakers did you go with? Craigjohn was telling me about your system with the D-Sonic amps. I have been to his house twice to hear his Plats. I might go with those amps, how are they working out for you? I have personally met Mark Seaton at a AVS GTG a few years ago. Very nice guy. (And you're right, his Submersive subs are highly regarded) . Maybe I met you there too? At Gorilla83's house?
I LOVE the d-sonic amps. Sound great, incredibly efficient and for that quality, "reasonably" priced. They come in multiple configurations. Mine are 800 X 3 and 400 X 4. Way over powered given the efficiency of the speakers and the fact that I cross them over at 80Hz to 100HZ.

For ceiling speakers I am using incredibly unattractive but highly functional speakers by Tannoy [Di6 DC]. Huge dispersion pattern and highly efficient --- but NOT pretty !!!
post #7734 of 9683 Old 12-29-2015, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Another potential problem I forsee is that there will be a small bar height table with two bar stools all the way in the rear of the room, which will be approx. 20 ft. away from the Plats. I remember experts recently saying things like..

""You’re not going to get a 1” dome tweeter to send 14kHz to 20kHz out to 16’ without burning up the tweeter.""

I guess that means that the highs will be muted from that far away? Should I think about horns and compression drivers instead?
"Experts"? Seriously??????

Of course the highs will be reduced at 20 feet. I had compression drivers in my previous speakers and the highs were reduced at 20 feet as well. I sit at 14 feet and there is a drop of the highs even then (as there has been for every one of the over 20 speakers I have owned). Some of that drop off can be addressed during room correction but I would not want to hear it flat to 20K even if I could and NONE of the room correction systems I have ever used (5 of them) have a recommended target curve flat to 20K.

Not all "experts" are really "experts" (definition of expert: A drip under pressure)
post #7735 of 9683 Old 12-29-2015, 09:00 AM

With 12' ceilings you should definitely do physical in/on ceiling speakers. You have the room to do it right so do it right

Bipoles (not dipoles) are OK for side surround if you are looking to broaden coverage for multiple rows -- they are still direct radiators (no null as with a dipole) so you won't lose all the precision of discrete sounds. You could also consider a two speaker array on each side wall (one slightly forward and one slightly behind) to broaden coverage and mimic the more diffuse side surround arrays of cinemas. And in the future there may be affordable processors that can address 9 bed level speakers discretely with immersive audio.
post #7736 of 9683 Old 12-29-2015, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
With 12' ceilings you should definitely do physical in/on ceiling speakers. You have the room to do it right so do it right

Bipoles (not dipoles) are OK for side surround if you are looking to broaden coverage for multiple rows -- they are still direct radiators (no null as with a dipole) so you won't lose all the precision of discrete sounds. You could also consider a two speaker array on each side wall (one slightly forward and one slightly behind) to broaden coverage and mimic the more diffuse side surround arrays of cinemas. And in the future there may be affordable processors that can address 9 bed level speakers discretely with immersive audio.
+1
post #7737 of 9683 Old 12-29-2015, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
"Experts"? Seriously??????

Of course the highs will be reduced at 20 feet. I had compression drivers in my previous speakers and the highs were reduced at 20 feet as well. I sit at 14 feet and there is a drop of the highs even then (as there has been for every one of the over 20 speakers I have owned). Some of that drop off can be addressed during room correction but I would not want to hear it flat to 20K even if I could and NONE of the room correction systems I have ever used (5 of them) have a recommended target curve flat to 20K.

Not all "experts" are really "experts" (definition of expert: A drip under pressure)
Hey, since I know so little about speakers and all things A/V, almost everyone is an expert in my eyes! . I had no idea that tweeters had distance limitations.
post #7738 of 9683 Old 12-29-2015, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Howdy, everybody!

I currently have a 2.2 system in an open floor plan living room, primarily used for movies and TV shows. My LRs are Triad InRoom Gold Monitors (oriented vertically) and my subs are Triad InRoom Silvers. I'd like to add a center channel, but it has to be horizontally oriented beneath the TV. Should I use another Gold Monitor (on its side) to match what I've already got, or should I place an InRoom Gold Center beneath the TV to mitigate the dispersion issues associated with laying an MTM on its side?

In short, which is the greater evil, tambre/range mis-match improperly oriented lobing?

(Both speakers are rated at the same power range (100-400 watts), impedance (4 Ohms) and efficiency (92 dB), but slightly skewed frequency response([email protected] vs [email protected]).

Thank you.
post #7739 of 9683 Old 12-29-2015, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey, since I know so little about speakers and all things A/V, almost everyone is an expert in my eyes! . I had no idea that tweeters had distance limitations.
Tweeter are not the issue. Sound is the issue. In a direct field or free field, the sound level (SPL) of a spherical wave decreases with doubling of the distance by (−)6 dB.

If you would like to learn more about how all of this works, just use google and then, while you may not be an expert, you will certainly be much better informed.
post #7740 of 9683 Old 12-29-2015, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Tweeter are not the issue. Sound is the issue. In a direct field or free field, the sound level (SPL) of a spherical wave decreases with doubling of the distance by (−)6 dB.

If you would like to learn more about how all of this works, just use google and then, while you may not be an expert, you will certainly be much better informed.
Which makes me wonder why suggesting atmos enabled speakers in a room with 12 foot ceilings..... seems like a long way to bounce sound back to the MLP. I wonder if there was a construction or architectural reason for not suggesting ceiling speakers.

To easycruise, I'm going to deviate from mainstream recommendations a little bit and suggest, with a narrow (3 seats across?) room and 12' ceilings, your atmos speaker options might be a little bigger than you think. I think there are some Triad ceiling options that would match well with your surrounds and still give you good seat to seat performance. Are you doing two rows? If so, side arrays are nice, but that does increase the cost quite a bit.

I don't see the reason for Gold surrounds and Silvers rears from a performance standpoint, maybe budget? Just me, but if you did go with monopoles for surround I think Silvers would work fine. You are right, however, hot spotting is a consideration.

Having said all that, has your integrator said anything about acoustical treatments and calibration? That needs to be a "starting point" also.

I have an Erskine (Shawn) designed and built atmos theater with a similar length and height as yours. PM if you have any specific questions.

Regards, John
Video: Digital Projection 330 HighLite HC, Stewart 1.3, Radiance Pro, Anamorphic Lens
Audio: Trinnov Altitude16, QSC iCore250, QSC DCA 1622 Amps
Speakers: Procella P8's, P6V's, P18's, Triad Silvers 11.3.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page