Triad Owner's Thread - Page 268 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 893Likes

post #8011 of 9903 Old 05-17-2016, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I bought a used 600 dsp amp for a silver sub. It has a constant white noise when on. Sounds almost like static. Not the low frequency ground loop hum. It's a constant level noise that doesnt get louder with volume. It doesnt matter if it has an input from the receiver or not its still there. I tried changing a lot of the settings and still its the same. I figured it was some kind of ground loop or other noise from my house so I tried it at my friends house and it does the same thing. It's not really loud but loud enough to hear when there is no music playing from my couch 12 feet away.

Has anyone else had this issue with these amps? If so, any fixes other than sending it in for repair to Triad?(I'm assuming this is an option)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8012 of 9903 Old 05-17-2016, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 266
I personally haven't seen that issue with 600 series Rack Amps. Sounds like something is defective -- possibly the volume circuit. Triad should be able to repair the unit. Call them at 503-256-2600 and ask for the repair dept.

[email protected]
post #8013 of 9903 Old 05-17-2016, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Quoted: 12670 Post(s)
Liked: 10296
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
here is a stupid question i was thinking about today re the IC Bronze LCR's. can you wall mount them hidden tp use in an upfiring setup since they r angled at 45 degrees? i know this is a wacky question but was just wondering.

jim
Would not be a good choice for Atmos per the stated reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8014 of 9903 Old 05-19-2016, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I stumbled onto Triad yesterday as I was looking for a good shallow LCR for my new home theater. Spent last night and the last couple hours doing some research, and I'm pretty much set on them (LCR's and surrounds / in-ceiling if possible), I just need to know which will work for my application and budget, as I don't see pricing anywhere. Going to their site, there seems to be a fairly large selection as well so I want to make sure I get the right stuff. Not to mention I don't know where to purchase once I'm ready.

For now, I'm doing a simple 7.1 (or 7.2) setup in a ~14x17 room (9ft ceilings). Usable space will be less as I have hat channels and thick sound drywall for sound proofing.

The room adjacent to it (and that the LCR's will go on) is my kid's bedroom - so I'd like to keep the sound away from it as much as I can. I also don't have a lot of "wall space" on the sides of the room, so the surrounds will all be in the ceiling. I know that's not ideal, but hopefully Triad has something that will work for the ceilings that's on par to an inwall solution.

I'd like to keep the theater fairly budget oriented, and don't want to spend more than ~$500-$1000 per LCR. I don't mind spending more if I have to, but that seems to be the sweet spot bang for buck from what I've seen. I've heard surrounds don't need to eat the budget up as much, so IF I can spend less on those (freeing up the budget for subs and amps, etc) I will be happy.
post #8015 of 9903 Old 05-19-2016, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 4891 Post(s)
Liked: 5256
FYI - Triad sells direct to pro installers, not to consumers, so the "where to purchase once I'm ready" part means contacting a dealer. You cannot buy them online direct or through a retail store like other brands.

Dawn Gordon and Mike Garrett (two posters above your post) are both authorized dealers and can advise you.

Since it's a small room, you are probably fine with Bronze LCR up front unless you want to get crazy loud -- which seems unlikely considering the concern about being adjacent to the kid's bedroom. I assume that wall is fairly beefed up with soundproofing to avoid transmission to the bedroom? In that case it sounds like OnWall versions would be appropriate to maintain a low profile.

For in-ceiling solutions you have a few options, if you want a more directional effect you can use speakers like the InCeiling Bronze Sat which has a 45-degree angled baffle build in to aim the speaker, or (the likely suggestion in a room that small) use the InWall Bronze Surround but mounted in the ceiling to give a more diffuse, broad dispersion effect.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8016 of 9903 Old 05-20-2016, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

As Batpig has said, a combination of InWall Bronze LCRs for your front speakers and either Bronze InCeiling LCRs or InWall Bronze Surrounds will work. The surround selection has to do with your room configuration, furniture etc.

I would be happy to help you select the right combination. You can PM or email me if you like.

[email protected]
post #8017 of 9903 Old 05-21-2016, 02:49 PM

I guess it depends what you consider "crazy loud." I'm not a huge audiophile by any means, I just want something that will emulate the theater experience as much as I can without breaking the bank. If the bronze's will do that, I'm all for it.

As far as surrounds, are in-ceiling locations inferior to the in-wall locations (all else being equal)? Due to how my theater is laid out, and my wife's requirement of putting a small snack-bar / kitchenette in there, I am limited on where I can put the in-walls - but I can try to make it work.

Also left a PM for Dawn.

P.S. are these Triads using scanspeak woofers by chance? They look a lot like the woofers I bought from PartsExpress back when I was into the DIY mobile audio scene (not a bad thing, they were awesome speakers if I recall correctly).
post #8018 of 9903 Old 05-21-2016, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can easily make your room work with in-ceiling speakers. More info in my PM.

Edit: Also, I don't believe that the Bronze series contains Scanspeak drivers. Not to worry though, I've done numerous small theater rooms with the Bronze series and they sound great. In most cases it's really about selecting the correct speaker for the room size.

[email protected]

Last edited by Dawn Gordon; 05-21-2016 at 03:25 PM.
post #8019 of 9903 Old 05-23-2016, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hi, Where could I find the user manual and specs for the Triad OmniRound8? I have a pair installed in my basement. I want to take the grilles off without wrecking them. I tried the Triad website but can't find anything on the OmniRound8. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #8020 of 9903 Old 05-23-2016, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can use a very small screwdriver to loosen the edge and remove the grill.

I've sent Triad a request for the documentation. Hopefully I'll have it this afternoon.
jaydee77ca likes this.

[email protected]
post #8021 of 9903 Old 05-23-2016, 08:17 AM

Just noticed these were 4 ohm - do you guys drive these with a standard receiver - or what's the consensus on this? (I haven't picked out a receiver yet, so that's why I'm wondering).

Dawn - will respond to your PM later on today! Thanks
post #8022 of 9903 Old 05-23-2016, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

As far as the 4 Ohm load, don't worry about that. Decent modern receivers are designed to handle such loads without a problem. Impedance is a very misunderstood specification.
post #8023 of 9903 Old 05-23-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daudi81 View Post
I stumbled onto Triad yesterday as I was looking for a good shallow LCR for my new home theater. Spent last night and the last couple hours doing some research, and I'm pretty much set on them (LCR's and surrounds / in-ceiling if possible), I just need to know which will work for my application and budget, as I don't see pricing anywhere. Going to their site, there seems to be a fairly large selection as well so I want to make sure I get the right stuff. Not to mention I don't know where to purchase once I'm ready.

For now, I'm doing a simple 7.1 (or 7.2) setup in a ~14x17 room (9ft ceilings). Usable space will be less as I have hat channels and thick sound drywall for sound proofing.

The room adjacent to it (and that the LCR's will go on) is my kid's bedroom - so I'd like to keep the sound away from it as much as I can. I also don't have a lot of "wall space" on the sides of the room, so the surrounds will all be in the ceiling. I know that's not ideal, but hopefully Triad has something that will work for the ceilings that's on par to an inwall solution.

I'd like to keep the theater fairly budget oriented, and don't want to spend more than ~$500-$1000 per LCR. I don't mind spending more if I have to, but that seems to be the sweet spot bang for buck from what I've seen. I've heard surrounds don't need to eat the budget up as much, so IF I can spend less on those (freeing up the budget for subs and amps, etc) I will be happy.
Just give us a call. We would be happy to help you.
post #8024 of 9903 Old 05-23-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I guess it depends what you consider "crazy loud." I'm not a huge audiophile by any means, I just want something that will emulate the theater experience as much as I can without breaking the bank. If the bronze's will do that, I'm all for it.

As far as surrounds, are in-ceiling locations inferior to the in-wall locations (all else being equal)? Due to how my theater is laid out, and my wife's requirement of putting a small snack-bar / kitchenette in there, I am limited on where I can put the in-walls - but I can try to make it work.

Also left a PM for Dawn.

P.S. are these Triads using scanspeak woofers by chance? They look a lot like the woofers I bought from PartsExpress back when I was into the DIY mobile audio scene (not a bad thing, they were awesome speakers if I recall correctly).
Some models do use Scanspeak drivers.
post #8025 of 9903 Old 05-23-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Just noticed these were 4 ohm - do you guys drive these with a standard receiver - or what's the consensus on this? (I haven't picked out a receiver yet, so that's why I'm wondering).

Dawn - will respond to your PM later on today! Thanks
If the speakers were designed to go full range and were 4 ohm loads, then, yes you can have problems with many AVR's if not designed to handle 4 ohm loads. Since the Triad speakers are designed to be used with a sub crossed at around 80hz, for the heavy lifting, then even though they are 4 ohm, they are not a hard speaker to drive and work well with an AVR..
nathan_h likes this.
post #8026 of 9903 Old 05-23-2016, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
You can use a very small screwdriver to loosen the edge and remove the grill.

I've sent Triad a request for the documentation. Hopefully I'll have it this afternoon.

Sweet, thanks! I'm curious about the specs because they don't seem to sound as good as the pair of RBH VA-815 speakers I have in the ceiling in another part of the basement. I was considering switching them as I use the bar speakers more often. Thanks again!

post #8027 of 9903 Old 05-23-2016, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
If the speakers were designed to go full range and were 4 ohm loads, then, yes you can have problems with many AVR's if not designed to handle 4 ohm loads. Since the Triad speakers are designed to be used with a sub crossed at around 80hz, for the heavy lifting, then even though they are 4 ohm, they are not a hard speaker to drive and work well with an AVR..
But.............but Mike!

Gold LCR's are very difficult for a receiver to drive since they dip down to 3 db's and even lower...........................my ATI 3007 handles the Gold's fine, but it can get hot if driven for a long period of time. I would never use Gold LCR's with a receiver........................these speakers need watts! Like 400 watts!
usrsld likes this.
post #8028 of 9903 Old 05-24-2016, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can anyone offer a review of the onwall bronze models?
post #8029 of 9903 Old 05-24-2016, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I think I know the answer to this but thought I would run it by the experts here before I go to the trouble of moving some Triad inwall speakers around and having to do some wall repairs as a result. I currently have Silver 4 LCRs as side surrounds and Silver 4 surrounds for rear surrounds. The Silver 4 rear surrounds have already been modified to bipoles by Triad. Due to wall stud configuration the side surrounds are located in between the two rows of seating. The rears are less than a foot from my rear row.

I am thinking that I should swap the rear and side surrounds. Doing that should provide better directional sound for the side surrounds to each row. Having the rears as LCRs would also give me better directionality from the rear for my MLP row which is about 7 to 8 feet away.

This is all in preparation for moving to Atmos later this year. I realized all of this of course after I had replaced the original side surrounds which were Silver 4 Surrounds with the LCRs. It dawned on me then that their position was not the best since they are behind the MLP row - essentially in between the first and second rows of seating.

Does this seem like a reasonable change to make given my description above?
Other considerations ?

I really don't have the option of moving those side LCRs to be more in line with the first row unfortunately without doing some major plumbing and stud rework. So thinking this is the easiest and better option given what I currently own, etc.

- Scott Home theater: Triad Silver/4 LCR, LS, RS; Triad Silver/4 Surround LRS, RRS; Denon X4000; Emotiva XPA-7; Oppo BDP-103; TiVo Roamio Plus; Apple TV; Amazon Fire TV; Sony HW55ES; 120 inch screenStudy: Onkyo NR-717; Klipsch RF-7 II LF, RF; Klipsch RC-64 II C; RF-82 LS, RS; TiVo HD Premium; Samsung LED 40 inch
post #8030 of 9903 Old 05-24-2016, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjinatl View Post
I think I know the answer to this but thought I would run it by the experts here before I go to the trouble of moving some Triad inwall speakers around and having to do some wall repairs as a result. I currently have Silver 4 LCRs as side surrounds and Silver 4 surrounds for rear surrounds. The Silver 4 rear surrounds have already been modified to bipoles by Triad. Due to wall stud configuration the side surrounds are located in between the two rows of seating. The rears are less than a foot from my rear row.

I am thinking that I should swap the rear and side surrounds. Doing that should provide better directional sound for the side surrounds to each row. Having the rears as LCRs would also give me better directionality from the rear for my MLP row which is about 7 to 8 feet away.
I would think your proposed change would be an improvement, although I can't speak to the magnitude of the improvement.

If possible I suggest to temporarily switch the speakers positions by simply propping them up on boxes/ladders.
post #8031 of 9903 Old 05-24-2016, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:

This is all in preparation for moving to Atmos later this year. I realized all of this of course after I had replaced the original side surrounds which were Silver 4 Surrounds with the LCRs. It dawned on me then that their position was not the best since they are behind the MLP row - essentially in between the first and second rows of seating.

Other considerations ?

I really don't have the option of moving those side LCRs to be more in line with the first row unfortunately without doing some major plumbing and stud rework. So thinking this is the easiest and better option given what I currently own, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
I would think your proposed change would be an improvement, although I can't speak to the magnitude of the improvement.

If possible I suggest to temporarily switch the speakers positions by simply propping them up on boxes/ladders.
Yep, don't do any drywall work. Just pop them out, and prop them up in the proposed new locations, double check your levels, re-run your room correction if you have it, and listen to a few movies and see what you think.

But, AFAIK, your existing setup appears to be as close to the Atmos spec as you proposed new setup would be. So its not clear it would make a big difference.
post #8032 of 9903 Old 05-24-2016, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by epepin View Post
The Bronze LCR are excellent, as long as you are not too far away from them or asking them to play at reference from further than about 10 feet away.

I've had a few different Bronze models, but not the on wall ones.

That said, Triad has done a really good job of getting their on wall and in wall speakers to sound as good or better than their in room models of the same line. Why "better"? Because knowing exactly where the closest boundary is (as one does with on wall and in wall speakers) let's the designer of the speaker control one more piece of the environment and take that into account when doing their engineering. With in room models, there will be one optimal distance for frequency response and probably a different one for imaging. With an in wall or on wall model, the frequency response is optimized for that relationship to a boundary -- freeing you up to optimize for imaging.

So if Bronze LCR meets your needs, and you are worried about "compromising" on the on wall versions, don't worry. They are excellent.
post #8033 of 9903 Old 05-24-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Yep, don't do any drywall work. Just pop them out, and prop them up in the proposed new locations, double check your levels, re-run your room correction if you have it, and listen to a few movies and see what you think.

But, AFAIK, your existing setup appears to be as close to the Atmos spec as you proposed new setup would be. So its not clear it would make a big difference.

Yep - good suggestion - will try just propping them in place as you suggest to test out with a few movies that I use to test out my calibrations. I forgot to mention that the room is not super wide so those side surrounds are within about 2 feet of the outermost chairs in each of the two rows of seating (4 chairs each row). That and the fact that the position of the side surrounds being more in the middle between the rows makes the setup more suited to the angled tweeters of the Silver 4 Surrounds vs the LCRs. Anyhow - will give it a whirl as suggested before making a final decision.

- Scott Home theater: Triad Silver/4 LCR, LS, RS; Triad Silver/4 Surround LRS, RRS; Denon X4000; Emotiva XPA-7; Oppo BDP-103; TiVo Roamio Plus; Apple TV; Amazon Fire TV; Sony HW55ES; 120 inch screenStudy: Onkyo NR-717; Klipsch RF-7 II LF, RF; Klipsch RC-64 II C; RF-82 LS, RS; TiVo HD Premium; Samsung LED 40 inch
post #8034 of 9903 Old 05-25-2016, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee77ca View Post
Hi, Where could I find the user manual and specs for the Triad OmniRound8? I have a pair installed in my basement. I want to take the grilles off without wrecking them. I tried the Triad website but can't find anything on the OmniRound8. Thanks!

My Triad contact got back to me yesterday. All they have left as far as documentation for the OmniRound line is a detailed dimension drawing. If you want it please email me and I'll send you a copy.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

[email protected]
post #8035 of 9903 Old 05-25-2016, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by epepin View Post
What exactly do you want to know? I've got the onwall bronze speakers as well as an in ceiling bronze for my center. They sound the exact same(besides the slight ceiling effect on the center which isnt too noticeable from the seating). My only complaint is I wish I'd gone with all in ceilings for aesthetic reasons. They dont look bad but not as stealthy as the ceiling ones for my living room.
post #8036 of 9903 Old 05-25-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
But.............but Mike!

Gold LCR's are very difficult for a receiver to drive since they dip down to 3 db's and even lower...........................my ATI 3007 handles the Gold's fine, but it can get hot if driven for a long period of time. I would never use Gold LCR's with a receiver........................these speakers need watts! Like 400 watts!
I should have been a little more specific. Customer was talking about $500 to $1,000 budget per speaker, so that is Bronze and Silver range. I think every customer that I have sold Gold's to, has used separates. When you are shopping in Gold/Plat range, AVR's are not even in the discussion. I can't imagine someone spending that kind of money and powering them with an AVR.
65Goat likes this.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 05-25-2016 at 11:13 AM.
post #8037 of 9903 Old 05-25-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:

Other considerations ?

The Bi-poles for the side surrounds would be an improvement, but the LCR's only a foot away from the rear seating will not be good. If your front row is the row that you mostly use, then I would switch the speakers. If both rows are used regularly, then I would leave as is.
post #8038 of 9903 Old 05-25-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The Bi-poles for the side surrounds would be an improvement, but the LCR's only a foot away from the rear seating will not be good. If your front row is the row that you mostly use, then I would switch the speakers. If both rows are used regularly, then I would leave as is.

Thanks Mike - fortunately both rows are rarely used. It is too bad that it is too involved to simply switch back and forth between a 7.1 and 5.1 config. Would love to just flip to 5.1 when I have both rows are occupied but that requires re-running calibration so it is just not worth it typically.

post #8039 of 9903 Old 05-25-2016, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Thanks Mike - fortunately both rows are rarely used. It is too bad that it is too involved to simply switch back and forth between a 7.1 and 5.1 config. Would love to just flip to 5.1 when I have both rows are occupied but that requires re-running calibration so it is just not worth it typically.
I believe you can go into the speaker setup and disable/re-enable the rear surrounds without having to re-run Audyssey calibration -- still not a quick button press but not too painful.
post #8040 of 9903 Old 05-25-2016, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee77ca View Post

My Triad contact did manage to find some more info on the Triad OmniRound 8's.

InCeiling OmniRound8
Standard Measurements:
Cabinet diameter 9 3/8"
Cabinet depth 7 5/8"
Shipping weight 20 lbs. /box of 2
Shipping box holds 2 speakers
Grill Frame:
Diameter 10 3/4"
Inwall Cut Out Size:
Wall hole diameter 9 5/8"
New Construction Bracket - Size R8
Metric Measurements: