Triad Owner's Thread - Page 281 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1290Likes

post #8401 of 10535 Old 02-09-2017, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk36 View Post
Good to know. I have the older versions and Triad doesn't support converting the older models.

I did find a schematic for the crossovers on the older models and according to the schematic it looks like the tweeters are just directly wired out of phase. Thinking about just wiring them in phase and see how they sound.

I have Silver In Walls for the L/R Surrounds and Bronze In Walls for the Back Surrounds.
Curious if you ever tried to change the crossovers in your surrounds and if so were you successful?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8402 of 10535 Old 02-16-2017, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Installing two slimsubs and a RackAmp 700 in a family room, one on right front wall and the other opposite rear wall.

Any best practices or recommendations for set-up?
post #8403 of 10535 Old 02-16-2017, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 384
If it's not too late, I would put them in diagonally opposing corners.
nathan_h likes this.

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8404 of 10535 Old 02-16-2017, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3049 Post(s)
Liked: 2131
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdepaola View Post
Installing two slimsubs and a RackAmp 700 in a family room, one on right front wall and the other opposite rear wall.

Any best practices or recommendations for set-up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
If it's not too late, I would put them in diagonally opposing corners.
Dawn has given you the best succinct approach. You want them to be a mirror image of each other in the room -- remembering that the room is not just the same where you watch TV but the whole physical space (which might include a kitchen and dining area, in a great room, for example).

More details in this podcast:

http://www.avrant.com/501-dual-sub-calibrations/

http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer...nnection-guide

My current setup.
Recommended podcasts: The Next Picture Show, the /filmcast, AV Rant.
post #8405 of 10535 Old 02-16-2017, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Yes they are diagonal, I guess that's what I meant by opposite.

I'm more concerned with amp aetup, never been a whiz with subs typically just let the AVR set them up. Seems like setting the subs up this way requires more work.

Thanks for the links!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8406 of 10535 Old 02-17-2017, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You should be able to find helpful files here: Triad Guides and Installation Files

[email protected]
post #8407 of 10535 Old 02-18-2017, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I've been doing more and more 2 channel listening recently and was curious of the differences between the silver lcr's and silver monitors? If anyone has heard both and would like to share their impressions I would appreciate it.

Can the monitors really be used effectively without a sub for music (moderate to loud levels) because the lcr's 100% need one?

Would having the l/r speakers as monitors and the center as an lcr be very noticeable during movies? My front stage is behind an AT screen if that is of concern.

I don't have the room for a dedicated 2 channel setup so I need to make the space I have as effective as possible, thanks!
post #8408 of 10535 Old 02-18-2017, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Both Gold and Silver Monitors can be used full range without a sub, but they do sound best with a sub. However, before committing to purchasing a sub you should try them without one to see how you like them.

One thing I would definitely not do is mix a Silver LCR with the Silver Monitors. They sound too different. Keep all front speakers the same. For surround and Atmos channels you can use Silver MiniMonitors. See my speaker matching chart here.

[email protected]
post #8409 of 10535 Old 02-18-2017, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I have the gold in room sub but it's showing in the new 700 rack amp triad in room silver sub ??

Can anyone help me in that

post #8410 of 10535 Old 02-19-2017, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You should have your dealer change the setting. Or go to these RackAmpinstructions.

[email protected]
post #8411 of 10535 Old 02-19-2017, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
You should have your dealer change the setting. Or go to these RackAmpinstructions.

Done ...thx a lot Dawn

grtuck likes this.
post #8412 of 10535 Old 02-20-2017, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In-ceiling triads for atmos .4 with hat channel ceiling

Hi All,

I'm looking for advice on something I'm considering. I'm finishing my basement and would like to use 4 triad ceiling speakers for the .4 dolby atmos/dts:x effects. I have two goals for sound isolation, I'm trying to decrease the amount of sound that can reach the rest of the house. I'm not looking for complete isolation, but enough so that a movie doesn't shake the the upper floors. Additionally, my son's room is right above where the HT will be. I know there is only so much I can do for his room and my goal is to be able to enjoy a sitcom at night without waking him. (not master and commander)

To help with this I am putting an isomax based hat channel system in for the ceiling. The left, front, right walls are block so I do not have any concerns with sound escaping to other adjoining rooms on the same level. Behind the listening position is an open space and a guest bedroom (also bordered by block walls).

I'm using acoustic putty for the small led lights were putting in the ceiling for lighting, but that leaves me with the in-ceiling speakers and the crux of my post.

Has has anyone ever installed a Triad speaker in a similar ceiling installation? I'm mostly concerned with the opening I would be creating in the ceiling even though the hole would be filled with a speaker. I know I must not bridge the ceiling and joists, it looks like the speakers mount to the joists in both new build and retro. I've seen websites that talk about custom built backer boxes that do not touch the joists or subfloor, I'm just wondering if the speaker's baffling is adequate and how to best mount them.

I'm also curious if anyone has installed the baffled Triad in-ceiling speakers and experienced how much sound is radiates out the back to the above floor?

I've done a fair amount of research but am having a difficult time finding this exact scenario. General concepts I've come across range from "any hole will completely negate all the work you did" to "even with can lights the sound was still significantly muted".

thanks!
post #8413 of 10535 Old 02-28-2017, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Control4 Buys Triad

From Larry Pexton:

After exactly 37 years as the founder of the enterprise known as Triad Speakers, I have found a worthy successor. Control4, the leading provider of smart home solutions, came to me just after my 70th birthday with an unsolicited and very fair offer to acquire our company. Through the course of spending time together working on the transaction, which was formally announced today, the Control4 management team has consistently shown a deep appreciation of and respect for what we have accomplished and the team that we have assembled here.

I can't imagine finding a better home for my company, our employees alongside whom I have worked the last decades, and our most cherished asset, our global dealer base. Moving forward, the same Triad people will be supporting your businesses and building your speakers with the same care and attention you've always enjoyed. However, now that we are part of Control4, the Triad team will enjoy new development, training and marketing resources that were always just beyond our reach under the Pexton family ownership.
Control4 is committed to continuing the quality, service and customization you have come to expect from Triad. Now Triad will be able to leverage Control4's depth of bench to continue to innovate for years to come, provide unmatched custom design services and make doing business with us, much easier.

From Control4 to their dealers:

Entertainment is at the heart of the connected home, which is why we are thrilled to announce that Control4 has acquired Triad Speakers, Inc, a leader in advanced audio technology and high-end speakers. With over 80% of Control4 installations integrating at least one receiver, audio entertainment is clearly central to your projects. Now, we have a full line of speakers to bring all the audio in your installations to life via bold, beautiful sound.

Triad's 30 year heritage of delivering exceptional audio solutions is rooted in its unwavering attention to design and detail, its focus on the quality of the listening experience, and the unique customization of its products. Triad builds a comprehensive range of built-to-order premium audio speakers, engineered to exact specifications and meticulously assembled to deliver uncompromising sound for every space in and around the home. The end result is an audio system that is voiced to sound the same, regardless of whether the speakers are in-wall, in-ceiling or in-room.

Larry Pexton, Triad's renowned founder, and his entire team who have been together for decades, will join Control4. We welcome Triad's proven premium-acoustics experience and innovation to the company, enabling us to immediately expand our entertainment offering and develop new integrated-audio experiences for the future.

[email protected]

Last edited by Dawn Gordon; 02-28-2017 at 05:21 AM.
post #8414 of 10535 Old 02-28-2017, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Well this sucks, Control4 purchased. Not a great thing in my opinion.
cdepaola likes this.
post #8415 of 10535 Old 02-28-2017, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

On the face of it, I am glad they were purchased by a company interested in A/V and that they weren't another victim of a private equity firm just looking to cash out and leave an empty shell.

My current setup.
post #8416 of 10535 Old 02-28-2017, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by amblinfan View Post
Well this sucks, Control4 purchased. Not a great thing in my opinion.
I can't imagine much will change. Triad is an incredibly well run company, from their supply chain all the way to the dealers they support.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator, JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video
Mercenary Calibrator for Manufacturers, Integrators and System Owners
post #8417 of 10535 Old 02-28-2017, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I'd like to say i share your optimism but from selling them for 10 years and with the excellent rep we have no longer being someone we work with it will change trust me. Control4 not nearly the personal touch company.
cdepaola likes this.
post #8418 of 10535 Old 02-28-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I spoke with Steve Coburn at Triad today, and he assured me that while the current reps are going away, Triad will still have the same great support all current Triad dealers have come to love. One of the biggest differences is that Control4 dealers will now also have access to the line.

As both a Control4 dealer and a Triad dealer, I'll have the option of purchasing Triad at both the new Triad Portal and the Control4 dealer portal. I'm still trying to figure out some purchasing logistics, but so far I really love the ability to buy Triad via a web interface. Very nice!
A7mad78 likes this.

[email protected]
post #8419 of 10535 Old 02-28-2017, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Be glad that someone bought Triad out...remember what happened to BG Radia. Seems likes a steal for 9 mil, hopefully Control 4 will finally upgrade the aesthetics of what I think are very boring looking speakers. I like my Gold 6 in wall LCR,s but once I sell them will not be buying niche speaker brands anymore.

Last edited by razz589; 02-28-2017 at 05:13 PM.
post #8420 of 10535 Old 02-28-2017, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by amblinfan View Post
I'd like to say i share your optimism but from selling them for 10 years and with the excellent rep we have no longer being someone we work with it will change trust me. Control4 not nearly the personal touch company.
Loooong time dealer as well, with some great reps and some mediocre reps throughout the years. As long as the quality of the product doesn't change, I'm good. And knowing many of the core employees, I can't see that happening any time soon.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator, JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video
Mercenary Calibrator for Manufacturers, Integrators and System Owners
post #8421 of 10535 Old 03-12-2017, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Silver monitor atmos configuration

I am doing a new construction home theater with dimensions of 16 (wide) x 20 (long) x 12 (high). Am thinking about Silver monitor 6 for LCR and Silver mini monitor for sides, rear and Atmos channels. The Triad speaker matching chart does not list the Silver mini monitors for Atmos (only the Silver monitor). Is there a problem with the configuration I am proposing? Would there be a real advantage to going Silver monitor all around and avoiding the mini's?

Kevin
post #8422 of 10535 Old 03-12-2017, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

To answer your quesrion: no.

To ask you a question: why the Monitors and not the LCR versions? The Monitors cost more and have less output. The LCR are optimized for use with bass managed systems, i.e., a home theater with subs.

My current setup.
post #8423 of 10535 Old 03-12-2017, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm having some small issues with my in wall bronze LCRs, and I'm not really sure if it's the room / install or the speaker itself.

As I said I have the bronze LCRs up front, installed in the wall behind an acoustic transparent screen. The speakers sound amazing, with a few small issues that I'm sure I'll be able to work out with your help.

I'm getting some really steep frequency responses and strange harshness and muddiness in certain frequencies. I'm not sure how to explain it, my guess is it's around the 500 - 2500hz range. Pianos, flutes, etc sound especially muddy and harsh on certain notes. It's hard to explain, but it's as if you put a long cylindrical tube around the speaker and listened to it on the other end. Kind of muddy, "echo-ish", and harsh.... But only on certain frequencies. The rest of the freq range sounds great.

As an example, if anyone is familiar with the Dire Straights song "ride across the river" (it's on Spotify or even YouTube if you want to search it), about 20 seconds in there's a flute that starts up and I've found that some speakers have issues reproducing this part without sounding harsh. But on the Triads, they do an especially bad job, more so than even my cheap Vizio sound bar I use upstairs. Pianos or similar instruments sound harsh and muddy. Or if anyone is familiar with the sound the PS4 menu makes when you change menus etc, this sounds especially muddy and harsh. The lower range of female voices during movies sound muddy scattered and harsh. I haven't measured the frequency response yet, planning to get the mic set up in a bit, so I'm not sure exactly what frequencies are causing these speakers issues.

I'm pretty sure the speakers aren't SUPPOSED to sound like this, and I don't think there's anything actually wrong with them, making me think it has more to do with the room acoustics or install. The ones I auditioned at the dealer did not have this issue, but then again I was watching a movie with very selective loud scenes they were using to show them off. Like I said, they sound great otherwise, and most people don't even notice unless I point it out to them. So I don't want to overstate how bad the problem is. 90% of the population probably wouldn't even notice, but I do.

All the walls and ceiling have the typical double drywall + clips + channels, so it's pretty dead. The room is 100% dedicated and sealed, dimensions are about 17x15ft w/ 8.5ft ceilings. I don't have any in room acoustic treatments installed yet (acoustic panels, bass traps, etc). We just finished construction so I haven't gotten around to it yet. I have a Denon X4200 and I haven't been able to run audyssey yet, but will soon once i get the mic wire installed (all the equipment is installed in a separate room).

Does this sound more like a room acoustic issue? I'm not a pro at this, but my guess is this has to do with reflections and cancellations, but I really have no idea.

Am I supposed to treat the actual wall that the speakers are actually installed in? Right now it's just bare wall, with the speaker baffle flush with the wall surface (as is any in wall speaker), with the acoustic screen 3-5 inches in front of them. Do I need some acoustic material directly on the wall directly behind the screen, but surrounding the speakers? I noticed that most pro home theaters that I've sat in don't have bare walls and are almost always covered with some type of cloth or acoustic material, but all of my walls are bare without any treatment. I've had home theaters in the past in family rooms, etc (granted they weren't dedicated theaters like the one I have now), and I've never had these issues and never treated the walls with anything.

Or are these speakers just notorious for having this sound characteristic and the only way out is to use an EQ or different speakers?

Where do I start first?
post #8424 of 10535 Old 03-12-2017, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by twochannel View Post
Hi All,

I'm looking for advice on something I'm considering. I'm finishing my basement and would like to use 4 triad ceiling speakers for the .4 dolby atmos/dts:x effects. I have two goals for sound isolation, I'm trying to decrease the amount of sound that can reach the rest of the house. I'm not looking for complete isolation, but enough so that a movie doesn't shake the the upper floors. Additionally, my son's room is right above where the HT will be. I know there is only so much I can do for his room and my goal is to be able to enjoy a sitcom at night without waking him. (not master and commander)

To help with this I am putting an isomax based hat channel system in for the ceiling. The left, front, right walls are block so I do not have any concerns with sound escaping to other adjoining rooms on the same level. Behind the listening position is an open space and a guest bedroom (also bordered by block walls).

I'm using acoustic putty for the small led lights were putting in the ceiling for lighting, but that leaves me with the in-ceiling speakers and the crux of my post.

Has has anyone ever installed a Triad speaker in a similar ceiling installation? I'm mostly concerned with the opening I would be creating in the ceiling even though the hole would be filled with a speaker. I know I must not bridge the ceiling and joists, it looks like the speakers mount to the joists in both new build and retro. I've seen websites that talk about custom built backer boxes that do not touch the joists or subfloor, I'm just wondering if the speaker's baffling is adequate and how to best mount them.

I'm also curious if anyone has installed the baffled Triad in-ceiling speakers and experienced how much sound is radiates out the back to the above floor?

I've done a fair amount of research but am having a difficult time finding this exact scenario. General concepts I've come across range from "any hole will completely negate all the work you did" to "even with can lights the sound was still significantly muted".

thanks!
I have a similar scenario with the theater in the basement but kids rooms and living spaces surround it. It's a dedicated theater, so it's not open to any living spaces like yours, but still fairly similar.

I just went with the typical double drywall green glue mounted on sound clips and hat channels. You're never going to get complete isolation, but I can listen to a movie pretty loud without disturbing anyone. Directly above and beside the room, you can hear it only if you turn it up pretty loud. And even then it's pretty muted. The rest of the home you can't hear it, and loud bass notes sound like distant thunder. Decoupling the drywall with clips / channels will help a lot with the lower bass notes which is what you're going to be disturbing others with anyway.

Triad does a good job of sealing and bracing their enclosures, so you won't get any sound leakage from the actual enclosure. Mine are mounted in the wall that is directly adjacent my kids room and it's pretty good.

As long as you're installing the drywall and clips and channels correctly, you'll get some pretty good isolation. If you're installing canned lights, make sure you either opt out, or put sound proofed backer boxes behind them or you'll get major sound leakage into the living area above. I learned this the hard way. Putty those electrical junctions and switches, it seems overkill but actually makes a difference. And it's much easier to do now than down the road when you realize you should have done it.

Also, you stated that the room was partly surrounded by concrete (as is mine). I'm not 100% sure of the layout so I could be imagining this wrong....but If it fits in the budget, I would decouple the drywall / framing from the concrete if it's in the budget. Vibrations will travel up that concrete just the same so decouple it just like you would any other framed wall. I learned this the hard way as well - thinking that somehow a poured concrete wall means sound proofed - which it doesn't. Vibrations = sound, and concrete can carry those vibrations just the same.

The main idea behind sound proofing (especially the lower bass notes) is through decoupling - so as long as you keep that overall theme while planning the room you'll be good. Concrete is no exception.

If your doing it correctly, watching a sit-com at night with your kid sleeping in an adjacent room is completely do-able. My wife and I can watch a regular movie (no big action movies) or comedies fairly loud, and I'll walk into my kids room which is adjacent to the theater and directly behind the main LCR's.... and can barely hear it if at all. Cranking up Mad Max or Mission Impossible to reference levels without disturbing the room next door is another thing altogether - so as long as your expectations aren't unrealistic you'll be golden.

Last edited by daudi81; 03-12-2017 at 01:43 PM.
post #8425 of 10535 Old 03-12-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
To answer your quesrion: no.

To ask you a question: why the Monitors and not the LCR versions? The Monitors cost more and have less output. The LCR are optimized for use with bass managed systems, i.e., a home theater with subs.
Interesting you say that. The Monitors have higher sensitivity 92.5 vs 91 and equal power handling. Seems like they would have at least equivalent output. Also supposed to have better quality drivers esp. tweeter. The monitor only has slightly better base (70 hz lower frequency range compared to 75). Are you sure about your above statement?
post #8426 of 10535 Old 03-12-2017, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daudi81 View Post
I'm having some small issues with my in wall bronze LCRs, and I'm not really sure if it's the room / install or the speaker itself.
The problem you describe is not a characteristic of the bronze LCR speakers.

The most likely scenario is that there is some EQ being applied perhaps from some room correction system that needs to be run again.

If that is not the culprit, one driver may be damaged. If I was you I would run a test tone sweep through each speaker and listen closely to each driver in a speaker and see if there is one that has an obvious flaw.

My current setup.

Last edited by nathan_h; 03-12-2017 at 04:12 PM.
post #8427 of 10535 Old 03-12-2017, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody View Post
Interesting you say that. The Monitors have higher sensitivity 92.5 vs 91 and equal power handling. Seems like they would have at least equivalent output. Also supposed to have better quality drivers esp. tweeter. The monitor only has slightly better base (70 hz lower frequency range compared to 75). Are you sure about your above statement?
I stand corrected. At one time Paul from Triad described the difference as I have described it but apparently that is no longer the case according to the website.

So at this point the main difference would be the considerable price difference and the higher quality drivers in the Monitors (versus the LCR).

My current setup.
post #8428 of 10535 Old 03-12-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
So at this point the main difference would be the considerable price difference and the higher quality drivers in the Monitors (versus the LCR).
Maybe. What confuses me is the speaker matching chart here: http://www.triadspeakersforum.com/Fo...ng%2009-16.pdf

It only lists the Silver monitor as a possible ATMOS speaker for the Silver monitor. It doesn't even list the Silver mini-monitor. Is this a dispersion issue?
post #8429 of 10535 Old 03-12-2017, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Dawn Gordon wrote that doc. Iirc it was not intended to cover all possible good arrangements but to demonstrate some exemplary ones.

My current setup.
post #8430 of 10535 Old 03-13-2017, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody View Post
I am doing a new construction home theater with dimensions of 16 (wide) x 20 (long) x 12 (high). Am thinking about Silver monitor 6 for LCR and Silver mini monitor for sides, rear and Atmos channels. The Triad speaker matching chart does not list the Silver mini monitors for Atmos (only the Silver monitor). Is there a problem with the configuration I am proposing? Would there be a real advantage to going Silver monitor all around and avoiding the mini's?

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

I am going to update the chart in a few weeks. The recommended Atmos configuration is to use the IC Monitors, but the MiniMonitors can also be used successfully.

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page