Triad Owner's Thread - Page 294 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1286Likes

post #8791 of 10521 Old 12-07-2017, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Maryland Dealers?

Dawn:

I've been trying to find Triad dealers near me in Maryland (Washington DC/Annapolis area). I called Triad, but they didn't return my call. I emailed Triad, but they referred me to the Control4 website, which doesn't identify Triad dealers. Maybe I'm out of luck, but I figured I'd see if you have a list of dealers.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8792 of 10521 Old 12-07-2017, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Hi,

I have been hearing about this a lot. Hopefully things will get better in the future.

Contact me at the email below and I'll help you find a dealer.

[email protected]
post #8793 of 10521 Old 12-10-2017, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Need confirmation on hole size for Silver/9 RotaSat

I am about to order 4 Silver/9 Rotasat's for my Atmos setup - but wanted to confirm that the opening I need to cut in the ceiling is 13 1/2" square. I will likely get the holes and wiring done in advance of receiving the speakers so I wanted to make sure that this is the correct opening size for these speakers.

The Triad website seems to indicate that is the opening size - but would like confirmation before I cut these 4 holes in my ceiling

- Scott Home theater: Triad Silver/4 LCR, LS, RS; Triad Silver/4 Surround LRS, RRS; Denon X4000; Emotiva XPA-7; Oppo BDP-103; TiVo Roamio Plus; Apple TV; Amazon Fire TV; Sony HW55ES; 120 inch screenStudy: Onkyo NR-717; Klipsch RF-7 II LF, RF; Klipsch RC-64 II C; RF-82 LS, RS; TiVo HD Premium; Samsung LED 40 inch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8794 of 10521 Old 12-11-2017, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The cutout is 13-5/8"

See the installation instructions here.
nathan_h and grtuck like this.

[email protected]
post #8795 of 10521 Old 12-11-2017, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
The cutout is 13-5/8"

See the installation instructions here.
Thanks Dawn!

- Scott Home theater: Triad Silver/4 LCR, LS, RS; Triad Silver/4 Surround LRS, RRS; Denon X4000; Emotiva XPA-7; Oppo BDP-103; TiVo Roamio Plus; Apple TV; Amazon Fire TV; Sony HW55ES; 120 inch screenStudy: Onkyo NR-717; Klipsch RF-7 II LF, RF; Klipsch RC-64 II C; RF-82 LS, RS; TiVo HD Premium; Samsung LED 40 inch
post #8796 of 10521 Old 12-11-2017, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

No problem. The speakers should come with a template if you don't mind waiting.

[email protected]
post #8797 of 10521 Old 12-20-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Renovating my small theater

I am renovating my small 10' deep x 15' wide x 9' height theater room including soundproofing with clips/DD/GG/etc. I currently own 3x Triad InWall Gold Omni SE/4 for my LCR, 4x InCeiling Gold Omni SE/8 for atmos, 2x InWall Silver Surrounds (bipole), and 2x InWall Bronze SlimSub/4 8ohm with 2x RackAmp 350.

Below are several questions/data that I need to put together a solid 5.1.4 plan for a pseudo-baffle wall and where to install backer boxes (for sound isolation) for my Triad speakers prior to drywalling. Hopefully between the owners on this thread and my dealer @Dawn Gordon can help dig up the necessary data.

1. As the Omni SE is a tweeter-midrange (T-M) design, have the T & M been time aligned to eliminate lobe tilting? If not, what is the lobe tilt that I need to design for?

Spoiler!

2. Is there directivity / off axis response data (horiz & vertical) for the Omni SE? E.g., I may slightly toe in my front wall L and R speakers and want to understand the sweet spot and also for acoustic treatment plan.

Spoiler!

3. As the Omni SE isn't exactly a reference-level SPL design, I'd like to understand where to cross over to mid-bass modules to achieve reference levels in my room. Is there sensitivity vs frequency data for Omni SE (and peak/rms watts vs frequency)?

Spoiler!

4. Regarding mid-bass modules, I would plan to use my 2x SlimSubs as midbass modules (~80Hz-160Hz??) and use MiniDSP-like for the crossover/mixing. My front wall would be setup as LEFT(OmniSE,-40")--SlimSub(-24")--CENTER(OmniSE,0")--SlimSub(+24")--RIGHT(OmniSE,+40"). Specifically, LEFT speaker would use the left SlimSub, RIGHT speaker would use the right SlimSub. Question is what to do about the CENTER? As the two SlimSubs are 4-feet apart they won't acoustically couple at quarter wavelength until ~70Hz, I am concerned that I will have M-T-M horizontal lobing if I use both SlimSubs for the center midbass, but if I don't I'm concerned that I will be shifting the CENTER midbass to just one side. Suggestions? Perhaps it requires careful crossover design in the MiniDSP?

Spoiler!

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by jjcook; 12-20-2017 at 11:58 AM.
post #8798 of 10521 Old 12-22-2017, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi Jeff,

I submitted your info to Triad. Not sure that they have this data. Keeping fingers crossed.

Happy Holidays!

Dawn
jjcook likes this.

[email protected]
post #8799 of 10521 Old 12-23-2017, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Jeff,

The person at Triad that can answer some of your questions is out for the holidays and will be back in early January. I'll nag him for info when he comes back.
jjcook likes this.

[email protected]
post #8800 of 10521 Old 12-23-2017, 11:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Jeff,

The person at Triad that can answer some of your questions is out for the holidays and will be back in early January. I'll nag him for info when he comes back.
Thank you Dawn -- I appreciate your continued support.
post #8801 of 10521 Old 01-24-2018, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 5777 Post(s)
Liked: 4882
I currently have Triad Platinum LCR's and 4 In-Room Silver Monitors for the side and rear surrounds.

I am considering adding either wides and/or an additional set of side surrounds. While I can get 2 or 4 more Silvers, I would prefer to try and find something that will work but costs less.

What do I give up moving down to Bronze or maybe the In-Wall mini LCR or maybe the ...........?

Clearly the efficiency drops but not so low (I think) that it would make them unusable.
post #8802 of 10521 Old 01-24-2018, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1684 Post(s)
Liked: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I currently have Triad Platinum LCR's and 4 In-Room Silver Monitors for the side and rear surrounds.

I am considering adding either wides and/or an additional set of side surrounds. While I can get 2 or 4 more Silvers, I would prefer to try and find something that will work but costs less.

What do I give up moving down to Bronze or maybe the In-Wall mini LCR or maybe the ...........?

Clearly the efficiency drops but not so low (I think) that it would make them unusable.
I haven't tried them, but a set of Silver Mini-Monitors use the same drivers as the Plats and Silver Monitors. They should be a little less expensive while still being a good timbre match in the Wides positions. They won't have the bass extension or the max-SPL capability of the rest of your speakers, so another idea we be to put them in the rear surround positions and move a set of Silver Monitors to the Wides. That's probably what I would do. In fact I'm probably going to use Silver Mini-Monitors for my 3D audio speakers, (when I eventually go to 3D audio.)
https://www.triadspeakers.com/produc...r-minimonitor/

There... I helped you spend your money again!!

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
My System (Edited Feb. 2020 to add 4K and Atmos updates)

Last edited by craig john; 01-24-2018 at 05:54 AM.
post #8803 of 10521 Old 01-24-2018, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wouldn't go with Bronze or Silver. You could probably use Gold LCRs or Surrounds for the sides - but you may hear a difference between the them and your current Silver Monitors.

See our Triad Speaker Matching Chart here.

[email protected]
post #8804 of 10521 Old 01-24-2018, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Love my silver lcrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8805 of 10521 Old 01-25-2018, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 5217 Post(s)
Liked: 6027
Quote:
While I can get 2 or 4 more Silvers, I would prefer to try and find something that will work but costs less.
Check the used market, the Monitor speakers pop up regularly on eBay and sell for a fraction of the new price. One nice thing about the Monitor line is that the drivers have been basically the same for a decade (unlike say the Bronze or Silver LCR which have had a few driver changes). So a used speaker should be a safe bet to match your current speakers regardless of age or the specific configuration.

For example if you have a back wall to mount them on, this is pretty cheap and you could use the L/R pair as back surrounds and relocate your current back surrounds up to the wide / front surround position
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIAD-Silve...K/323020553768

Pair of InRoom Gold MiniMonitors:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Triad-InRoo...2/132478161936

If you want to get a little unorthodox, you could get this inexpensive pair of InCeiling Silver MiniMonitors and place them on stands / in columns positioned as front wide speakers, where the built-in 45 degree toe-in angle will actually be useful to aim them at the listening position.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-Two-...K/323018800701
nathan_h likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8806 of 10521 Old 01-26-2018, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Check the used market, the Monitor speakers pop up regularly on eBay and sell for a fraction of the new price. One nice thing about the Monitor line is that the drivers have been basically the same for a decade (unlike say the Bronze or Silver LCR which have had a few driver changes). So a used speaker should be a safe bet to match your current speakers regardless of age or the specific configuration.

For example if you have a back wall to mount them on, this is pretty cheap and you could use the L/R pair as back surrounds and relocate your current back surrounds up to the wide / front surround position
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIAD-Silve...K/323020553768
These are not actually "Silver Monitors". They look like they use the same drivers as Silver Monitors, but they only have one mid-woofer. They might be Silver Mini-Monitors, but that's not what the seller calls them.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
post #8807 of 10521 Old 01-26-2018, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 5217 Post(s)
Liked: 6027
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
These are not actually "Silver Monitors". They look like they use the same drivers as Silver Monitors, but they only have one mid-woofer. They might be Silver Mini-Monitors, but that's not what the seller calls them.

Craig
Agreed, they look like a custom job since AFAIK they never made OnWall versions of the Monitor/MiniMonitor line for regular retail sale. The "center" looks like a Monitor with the dual woofers flanking the tweeter, and the L/R speakers look like MiniMonitors.

My point was more broadly that all of these "Monitor" speakers use the same drivers so if he's looking to save money he can mix in some used ones that aren't from the identical lineup that he has and they will still blend.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8808 of 10521 Old 01-26-2018, 08:42 PM

These look interesting as wides. I would mount them on the wall (not in the wall) and they will be behind fabric (GOM). The angle looks like it would work perfectly.

Here looks like another possibility - In Wall Silver 4's
post #8809 of 10521 Old 01-27-2018, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
I haven't tried them, but a set of Silver Mini-Monitors use the same drivers as the Plats and Silver Monitors. They should be a little less expensive while still being a good timbre match in the Wides positions. They won't have the bass extension or the max-SPL capability of the rest of your speakers, so another idea we be to put them in the rear surround positions and move a set of Silver Monitors to the Wides. That's probably what I would do. In fact I'm probably going to use Silver Mini-Monitors for my 3D audio speakers, (when I eventually go to 3D audio.)
https://www.triadspeakers.com/produc...r-minimonitor/

There... I helped you spend your money again!!

Craig
@craig john

Craig: The only concern I have in moving my rears to wides is that they would need to be rotated a good bit toward the MLP to get more appropriate placement. I only have about 7.5 inches available of depth. I'm not sure that angle would work. If I recall, your wides are aimed directly at the MLP, or close to it.
post #8810 of 10521 Old 01-27-2018, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
These look interesting as wides. I would mount them on the wall (not in the wall) and they will be behind fabric (GOM). The angle looks like it would work perfectly.

Here looks like another possibility - In Wall Silver 4's
Either of those would be a perfect match for your Silver Monitor surrounds. Triad also makes an In-Ceiling Silver MiniMonitor, which uses the same drivers, but one less mid-woofers, @ a lower price. The Monitors would be "better", but the MiniMonitors would be a less expensive option.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
post #8811 of 10521 Old 01-27-2018, 07:04 AM

Thanks. I have decided to go with the In-ceiling silver 6 Monitor. It fits perfectly in the spot, is a perfect sonic match for my in-room silvers and has the angled baffle that aims the drivers closer to the MLP. More than I planned to spend..... but what else is new? My only concern about spending this kind of money is how much use they will actually get.

What I have learned is that even with a processor like the Trinnov, if a movie is encoded as a 7.x.4 those are the only speakers that will be active. While there are some that are encoded with more channels, they, at the moment, are few. With the bazillion legacy movies I have, I can use DSU and it will make use of every speaker I have. Not sure what DTS:Neural-X will do.

post #8812 of 10521 Old 01-27-2018, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you need help finding a dealer please let me know.

[email protected]
post #8813 of 10521 Old 01-27-2018, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Just a heads up for anyone in the market I'm listing my Triad Platinum speakers for sale.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...l#post55582702

Mankite
post #8814 of 10521 Old 01-27-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankite View Post
Just a heads up for anyone in the market I'm listing my Triad Platinum speakers for sale.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...l#post55582702
What are you replacing them with?
post #8815 of 10521 Old 01-27-2018, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Nothing for now. Just not using the theater room nearly as much as I should be.

Mankite
post #8816 of 10521 Old 01-29-2018, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Question Help with speakers for Atmos upgrade

Attached is the layout of my dedicated theater. I am currently using Triads for all speakers. Gold LCRs for fronts, Silver/4 Inwall surrounds for Side and Rear channels, Gold/4 Omni for Front Wides in a 9.1.0 setup. I want to go to 9.1.4 by adding ceiling mounted Atmos speakers. Room is 23'-3"x14'x8', with MLP 11'6" from AT screen (12' from LCRs), 6'-6" from left wall, 7'-6" from right wall. See drawing for additional measurements.

First question. Should I replace my Silver side surrounds with direct radiators or convert to bipole? I have a pair of older Gold LCR THX (horns) I might be able to repurpose inside the side columns. Should I have the dipole to bipole alteration done on the rear surrounds, or replace them with Omnis or another front fire?

Second question. I have up to 10" depth for the ceiling mounted Atmos Top speakers, due to the soffit going around the room. I have the flexibility of placing just about whereever needed front-to-back, though I prefer they be mounted up against the soffit, which is 2'-9" wide from each side wall. I am heavily leaning towards KEF Ci200RR THX in custom enclosures, if I don't get a viable Triad speaker. What would be the recommendation for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
My personal compromise: My room is about 12.x" wide. So when I am in the captain's seat, I am far enough away from the surrounds for "perfection" -- and while the other seats are a bit compromised, they would have been, anyway, with bipoles, but those bipoles would have ALSO compromised my "money seat". So I feel like I chose the lesser of two evils. Others' mileage will vary, of course.
@nathan_h I hope you might respond to this. Front row center head (wife's) is 6' to 7' from either L/R surround speaker. Right chair head is 3' from surround (daughter's). Left chair head is 5' from surround, which is my seat. Looks like right chair will hot-spot for sure, center should be okay, and left is borderline, if I switch to direct radiating. I may be tempted to put the Gold THXS LCRs in there to try out. Front row heads are 9' in front of rear surrounds. Back row is 3' from rears, but rarely used.

Thank you,

Geordon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TheaterLayout.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	2353354  

Last edited by Geordon; 01-29-2018 at 05:41 PM.
post #8817 of 10521 Old 01-29-2018, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would go the conversion route on the sides and rears. Conversion will only be possible if the surrounds are Sept 2010 or newer.

For the Atmos speakers I would go with InCeiling Silver/6 Sats.

[email protected]
post #8818 of 10521 Old 01-29-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I would go the conversion route on the sides and rears. Conversion will only be possible if the surrounds are Sept 2010 or newer.

For the Atmos speakers I would go with InCeiling Silver/6 Sats.
Dawn, thank you for the quick reply. As the build was longer before 2010, sounds like I need to replace them. Do you recommend staying with Silver surrounds? Do I have an option for bipole if I order new, or do they always come dipole, with a return to factory for service? Or may I change them over myself with directions?

Geordon
post #8819 of 10521 Old 01-29-2018, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you like the Silvers then I would stick with them. The new ones come standard as Bipoles. :-)

[email protected]

Last edited by Dawn Gordon; 02-05-2018 at 07:11 AM.
post #8820 of 10521 Old 01-29-2018, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3041 Post(s)
Liked: 2129
@Geordon

I never tried bipoles. I tried dipoles and direct radiating, Bronze, which are about 5 feet from the MLP (side surrounds).

I'm sort of selfish about the sound quality and the only listener who really cares, so direct radiating let's me optimize just for me, and provides sub optimal experience for everyone else -- which is why Dawn and Triad recommend BIPOLE in a smaller room like mine (12 feet wide).

My current setup.
Recommended podcasts: The Next Picture Show, the /filmcast, AV Rant.

Last edited by nathan_h; 01-30-2018 at 07:24 AM. Reason: typo where I wrote DIPLOE and I meant BIPOLE corrected
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page