Triad Owner's Thread - Page 305 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 839Likes

post #9121 of 9759 Old 09-11-2018, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
My TV and home theater system is in the family room that opens up into the kitchen so there were no side walls really available for the surrounds. I have Mini/8 LCRs in-ceiling firing at the MLP for the surrounds and this has worked well. I recently had my NAD receiver in for some repairs so I had to re-run the Audyssey Multi EQ auto-correction and it detected the surrounds as "large", but in the past I had set them to small with a 100hz crossover so my two subs could handle the rest. This time, even though Audyssey detected the distance of the surrounds correctly, it seems to have set the gain quite low relative to the fronts....lower than I remember I had it set before.

What is a good cross-over point for the Mini/8 LCRs? And could it be that Audyssey detecting them as "large" may have set the gain too low?
I like to set the Mini's to 100Hz. They should be set to small.

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9122 of 9759 Old 09-11-2018, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Great to finally meet you, Dawn!
Hey BP it was great meeting you as well!

[email protected]
post #9123 of 9759 Old 09-11-2018, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
I like to set the Mini's to 100Hz. They should be set to small.
Thanks, Dawn! That is where I have them set now.

Mark
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, NAD T775 receiver, OPPO BDP-103, AT&T uVerse
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable w/Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, NAD PP-2 phono preamp
Era D5 front left/right, Era D5 LCR center, Triad in-ceiling Mini 8/LCR surrounds, dual SVS SB12-NSD subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9124 of 9759 Old 09-13-2018, 04:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hello All,

I'm selling my beloved Triad Cinema Refrence 2 speakers. If you are interested see the details in the AVS classifieds.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-a...e-spekers.html
post #9125 of 9759 Old 10-07-2018, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello!

Where can I buy triad inwall/inceiling speakers online? Not happy with local control 4 dealers.

Thanks.
post #9126 of 9759 Old 10-08-2018, 03:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Unfortunately, many Control4 dealers are so new to the line that they aren't familiar with Triad's 100+ speaker models and how to make them sound as good as possible.
drnagz likes this.

[email protected]
post #9127 of 9759 Old 10-08-2018, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
post #9128 of 9759 Old 10-08-2018, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Unfortunately, many Control4 dealers are so new to the line that they aren't familiar with Triad's 100+ speaker models and how to make them sound as good as possible.
Do you have any specific suggestions during the installation process? Planning to buy Triad speakers online and hiring Magnolia team from Best Buy to install them.
post #9129 of 9759 Old 10-09-2018, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you email me I can send you the installation guides.

[email protected]
post #9130 of 9759 Old 10-17-2018, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hello everyone. I'm looking for some advice on an install in new construction.

The floor plan is as shown in the attached image. Ceilings are 12'. TV will be wall-mounted in the great room on the wall that is labeled "Optional Cabinets" (there will be no cabinets there).

Just a basic 5.1 system, with ceiling mount speakers. I know that wall-mounted or in-room is better, but that's not an option. Not looking for reference levels from a volume level perspective; do want clear dialog (as much as I can get from in-ceilings, anyway) and do want good music reproduction. I have a dedicated 2-channel setup so I am fairly picky about my music. I know this setup will not compete from a soundstage standpoint but I'd like good clarity, a full-midrange, and prefer a slightly warm sound. So I do care about SQ, even if I know the ceiling mounts will muck up the imaging, if that makes any sense.

Back to movies, from an imaging standpoint, I realize that voices will not sound like they come right from the TV, but as long as they are not obviously coming from the ceiling or very high up I'm OK - I don't mind if they "float" somewhat higher than the center of the TV. From what I can tell, this is possible with the right speakers.

I'll likely use a AVR with Audyssey speaker calibration.

I assume we will be seated about 12 feet back from the TV. Just a sectional.

So - how many and of what size drivers should be I looking at? I'd love to go with Silver/6 monitors, but that's out of my price range, and I don't know if the room really needs that. So, Silver/8 Omni SE? Silver/6 Minimonitors? Silver Sealed Rounds? Something in the Bronze range?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2939.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	2470002  
post #9131 of 9759 Old 10-18-2018, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHudetz View Post
Hello everyone. I'm looking for some advice on an install in new construction.

The floor plan is as shown in the attached image. Ceilings are 12'. TV will be wall-mounted in the great room on the wall that is labeled "Optional Cabinets" (there will be no cabinets there).

Just a basic 5.1 system, with ceiling mount speakers. I know that wall-mounted or in-room is better, but that's not an option. Not looking for reference levels from a volume level perspective; do want clear dialog (as much as I can get from in-ceilings, anyway) and do want good music reproduction. I have a dedicated 2-channel setup so I am fairly picky about my music. I know this setup will not compete from a soundstage standpoint but I'd like good clarity, a full-midrange, and prefer a slightly warm sound. So I do care about SQ, even if I know the ceiling mounts will muck up the imaging, if that makes any sense.

Back to movies, from an imaging standpoint, I realize that voices will not sound like they come right from the TV, but as long as they are not obviously coming from the ceiling or very high up I'm OK - I don't mind if they "float" somewhat higher than the center of the TV. From what I can tell, this is possible with the right speakers.

I'll likely use a AVR with Audyssey speaker calibration.

I assume we will be seated about 12 feet back from the TV. Just a sectional.

So - how many and of what size drivers should be I looking at? I'd love to go with Silver/6 monitors, but that's out of my price range, and I don't know if the room really needs that. So, Silver/8 Omni SE? Silver/6 Minimonitors? Silver Sealed Rounds? Something in the Bronze range?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Hi George,

Nice to meet you.

You have a very large space, so I wouldn't use Omni's or Mini's. Triad recently came out with an in-Ceiling Silver/8 LCR that would be perfect for your room. It's not on the Triad website as yet, so if you email me I can send you the Data Sheet.

I would also like to clear up a misconception. You can get excellent audio cohesion between the TV and Triad's in-ceiling speakers. The key is making sure your room is a good candidate (I can run the numbers if you like) and installing the speakers properly. Everyone loves Triad's IC LCRs because the sound appears to come directly from the TV.

Dawn
GeorgeHudetz likes this.

[email protected]
post #9132 of 9759 Old 10-18-2018, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Dawn,

What are the calculations used to determine if your room is a candidate for ic speakers? I never ran any for mine so I’m just curious. Thanks!
post #9133 of 9759 Old 10-18-2018, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Hi George,

Nice to meet you.

You have a very large space, so I wouldn't use Omni's or Mini's. Triad recently came out with an in-Ceiling Silver/8 LCR that would be perfect for your room. It's not on the Triad website as yet, so if you email me I can send you the Data Sheet.

I would also like to clear up a misconception. You can get excellent audio cohesion between the TV and Triad's in-ceiling speakers. The key is making sure your room is a good candidate (I can run the numbers if you like) and installing the speakers properly. Everyone loves Triad's IC LCRs because the sound appears to come directly from the TV.

Dawn
Hi Dawn, nice to meet you! And thank you for the reply.

That's great news that we may be able to get good cohesion with the ICs, and I am interested to learn about the Silver/8 LCRs. I'll reach out to you via email soon.

George

Last edited by GeorgeHudetz; 10-18-2018 at 07:01 AM.
post #9134 of 9759 Old 10-19-2018, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtguy View Post
Dawn,

What are the calculations used to determine if your room is a candidate for ic speakers? I never ran any for mine so I’m just curious. Thanks!

If you email me I can run the numbers for you.

[email protected]
post #9135 of 9759 Old 10-20-2018, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
I will give you my perspective with experience in installing systems and having lived with an in ceiling 7.2 Triad speaker system for over 10 years in my previous home.

If your TV is high in the wall like over a fireplace or a projector screen your brain will relate the sound to the picture. When just playing music you will notice the sound is coming from above which is fine for background music but more critical listening it is easy to notice.

If you TV is mounted lower or on a TV stand you will notice sound from above. In these scenarios I would prefer one of Triad's passive sound bars matched to the size of the TV. If the TV is mounted you can attach the sound bar to the mount and be flush to the bottom of your TV giving a very clean look.
post #9136 of 9759 Old 10-21-2018, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Drnagz,

I have worked with a dealer in the Northeast US and had great results.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #9137 of 9759 Old 10-27-2018, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Has anyone installed the Triad OnWall Surround speakers as OnCeiling Atmos speakers? And how were they? I only have 3.93" depth in the ceiling so inceiling from Triad won't work and 8ft ceiling height.

I saw a photo here where it was done-

http://avspaces-grimani.blogspot.com...edia-2016.html
post #9138 of 9759 Old 10-27-2018, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1956
People with limited space are often directed to the bipolar surround speakers for ceiling use by Triad. I think Grimani, who you link to, may also do that.
Spizz likes this.
post #9139 of 9759 Old 10-28-2018, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

We do it all the time. The ceiling should be 9 feet high or less.
Spizz likes this.

[email protected]
post #9140 of 9759 Old 11-02-2018, 11:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi Dawn- How high should Silver OnWall Surround speakers be mounted above ear level for side surrounds? Also should they go direct to the side or slightly forward or behind?
post #9141 of 9759 Old 11-03-2018, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Side surround tweeters should optimally be no higher than 12" above ear level. With Atmos this is even more important.

Where they are located on the side wall depends on a few things. If you have a single row then they be aligned to the back of your seat and/or slightly behind. If you have two rows of seating then your could go with a bipole surround between the rows. If you have a larger budget, then a set of surrounds for each row is always welcome.
Spizz likes this.

[email protected]
post #9142 of 9759 Old 11-03-2018, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Dawn. 2 other questions. It is only 1 row, so the middle the cabinet i.e the center of the woofer should line up with the back of the couch/recliner?

Also which is the correct orientation for the Silver and Gold OnWall Surrounds-

https://www.triadspeakers.com/produc...lver-surround/

as the photo shows the speaker with the tweeter at the bottom being the right way up, where as the drawing shows the tweeter at the top being the right way up for both the Silvers and Golds?
post #9143 of 9759 Old 11-03-2018, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Also I saw these brand new Silver OnWall Surrounds for sale and though the photo is fuzzy there is looks like there is an arrow on it which means they are not Bipole?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	2477674  
post #9144 of 9759 Old 11-04-2018, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi Spizz,

Happy to help.

Yes, have the woofer line up with the back of the recliner.

The tweeters go on the bottom.

If there are arrows on the surrounds they are dipoles.
Spizz likes this.

[email protected]
post #9145 of 9759 Old 11-06-2018, 11:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi Dawn,

Another question

Looking at the Triad matching chart, it says for the Silver line (I have the Triad OnWall Silver Bipole) as my side surround speakers. For the Atmos Height Speakers the recommendation is as follows-

- InCeiling Silver/6 Sat
- Rotating Silver/9 Sat
- InWall Silver Bipole
- OnWall Silver Bipole

In order of preference I would assume the following-

1) - InCeiling Silver/6 Sat
2) - InWall Silver Bipole
3) - OnWall Silver Bipole
4) - Rotating Silver/9 Sat

Would that be correct? For a ceiling just 8ft is there any audio difference in using the InWall Silver Bipole vs the OnCeiling Silver Bipole speakers as I could accommodate both? Or it it preferable to still use the OnWall here?

Unfortunately the InCeiling Silver/6 sat depth is to much to fit in the ceiling space I have.
post #9146 of 9759 Old 11-07-2018, 04:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, those options are correct. Keep in mind that the Bipole surrounds will have wider dispersion and are more flexible in placement than the Sats.

There is no difference between the OnWall or InWall Bipole surround.

[email protected]
post #9147 of 9759 Old 11-08-2018, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4503 Post(s)
Liked: 2566
After much debating, I'm thinking about finally, but slowly changing my Paradigm Studio speakers (consisting of v4 and v5 three-way 100 towers, three-way CC-690 center, and two-way 20's for surrounds) to Triads for a timbre-matched Atmos system as I have been duly impressed every time I have demoed them at CEDIA for their smooth and dynamic sonic skills.

Since the Studio line is no longer made and they weren't built in the time of immersive surround, I've had to use a hodge-podge approach of various speaker brands to round out my Dolby Atmos setup.

Currently, I have an HSU subwoofer for low bass duties and ATI made power amps of around 200 watts for main speaker "juice" and a 120 watt amp for the overheads. I use a Marantz 7702 mkII processor for Atmos.

Does anyone here think moving to Silver LCR's would be a sidestep in performance or an overall improvement for movie and high resolution music (SA-CD, Blu-ray Audio, etc.) enjoyment? I have never been able to, obviously, demo my Paradigms and Triads side-by-side for a direct comparison. I've always seen myself as picky when it comes to audio reproduction... the more realistic, the better.

I don't think I will be in a position of installing speakers in any extremely large living spaces for the time being, so was considering Silver's rather than Bronze's for a bump in SPL output. I might consider starting with Gold LCR's for the front if owners think that would be a more noticeable move up the ladder in terms of audio quality.

Thanks!

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #9148 of 9759 Old 11-08-2018, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Does anyone here think moving to Silver LCR's would be a sidestep in performance or an overall improvement for movie and high resolution music (SA-CD, Blu-ray Audio, etc.) enjoyment? I have never been able to, obviously, demo my Paradigms and Triads side-by-side for a direct comparison. I've always seen myself as picky when it comes to audio reproduction... the more realistic, the better.
I haven't heard your Paradigms so can't comment specifically between them and the Triads.

As someone that had Silver LCR's for a number of years, I can say they are great speakers for movies in a medium sized room, dynamic and clean while at loud levels. For music they were fine if used for background, serious listening showed that detail was missing, although they can rock due to being able to play really loud.

What would you say your movie/music percentages are? I'd say if you are over 50% movies and you enjoy that more than serious music listening, get the LCR's and don't look back. If you are a serious music listener and movies are a nice extra, than you may want to consider the Monitors.
Dan Hitchman likes this.
post #9149 of 9759 Old 11-08-2018, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4503 Post(s)
Liked: 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
Quote:
I haven't heard your Paradigms so can't comment specifically between them and the Triads.

As someone that had Silver LCR's for a number of years, I can say they are great speakers for movies in a medium sized room, dynamic and clean while at loud levels. For music they were fine if used for background, serious listening showed that detail was missing, although they can rock due to being able to play really loud. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

What would you say your movie/music percentages are? I'd say if you are over 50% movies and you enjoy that more than serious music listening, get the LCR's and don't look back. If you are a serious music listener and movies are a nice extra, than you may want to consider the Monitors.
I guess I could use the Studio's for music and the Silver LCRs for movie use if the Triads are better for dynamics and impact whilst remaining clean, dialog clarity friendly, and non fatiguing at higher volumes rather than the nth degree of nuance for music of all types.

I'm looking for the best of both worlds. Both music and movies are equally important to me.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #9150 of 9759 Old 11-08-2018, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
I'm looking for the best of both worlds. Both music and movies are equally important to me.
If that's the case, the next question would be how loud do you listen to your movies? Would you say you go to reference or close to reference? If so, I'd recommend the LCR's. If you go loud but not crazy loud all the time, the Silver Monitors are pretty awesome, much much better for music. I'd say they give up maybe that last 5-10% of dynamics (in my room) compared to the Silver LCR's.

I've owned both speakers for extended times so I'm comfortable with what they do in my room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page