Triad Owner's Thread - Page 320 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 812Likes

post #9571 of 9683 Old 06-06-2019, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Little Help - Does anyone know best method to contact Triad directly to ask/inquire about misc. parts? I've tried to email but no response. As I noted in earlier post I'm going to mount a CinemaPlus Silver Sub into a wall and need to ask about:

1. Mounting hardware (it comes with 4 brackets that look like vibration mounts but are position toward the rear)
2. Clearance needed between front of the woofer and grill
3. Purchasing a grill to mount in drywall (I could also buy a random grill from Amazon but may as well start with Triad).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9572 of 9683 Old 06-06-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4577 Post(s)
Liked: 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluid15 View Post
Little Help - Does anyone know best method to contact Triad directly to ask/inquire about misc. parts? I've tried to email but no response. As I noted in earlier post I'm going to mount a CinemaPlus Silver Sub into a wall and need to ask about:

1. Mounting hardware (it comes with 4 brackets that look like vibration mounts but are position toward the rear)
3. Purchasing a grill to mount in drywall (I could also buy a random grill from Amazon but may as well start with Triad).
Try calling:

(503) 256-2600
post #9573 of 9683 Old 06-06-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Try calling:

(503) 256-2600
Thx, I'll give that a shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9574 of 9683 Old 06-06-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:

BTW, for a visual - attached is a pic of location I plan to install this (outlined in red). As of this morning I decided to install sideways instead of upright. The wall, as shown, is 2x6 but we're going to add 2x4 on top of it to build a niche so it'll be thick enough to accommodate the subwoofer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9529.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	920.9 KB
ID:	2576932  
post #9575 of 9683 Old 06-06-2019, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1956
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
@nathan_h Nice looking room -- how deep are your treatments (absorption only behind the fabric?) and what are the dimensions and view distance(s)?
Those are mostly standard GIK 244 panels (https://www.gikacoustics.com/product...coustic-panel/) with an equal number of diffusion panels mixed in (same dimensions but different materials of course).

It's about 9 feet from the 8 foot wide screen to the main seat.
post #9576 of 9683 Old 06-10-2019, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Thx, I'll give that a shot.
Any luck with contacting Triad? I have e-mailed them a couple of times in the past week about some minor parts (like the replacement plastic tabs that hold speakers in the wall). Support used to be managed by Brent, but now I am getting responses that I need to go through a dealer.

Is there a dealer out there who is willing to help me order 8 plastic tabs? I've contacted 3 or 4 locally and these guys are not interested in ordering little parts. They are Control 4 dealers and barely know the Triad product.

Kind of sad when you have 17 Triad monitor speakers with an MSRP close to $45,000 in your home theater and you can't contact somebody there to help with parts.
post #9577 of 9683 Old 06-10-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4467 Post(s)
Liked: 2521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott MS View Post
Any luck with contacting Triad? I have e-mailed them a couple of times in the past week about some minor parts (like the replacement plastic tabs that hold speakers in the wall). Support used to be managed by Brent, but now I am getting responses that I need to go through a dealer.

Is there a dealer out there who is willing to help me order 8 plastic tabs? I've contacted 3 or 4 locally and these guys are not interested in ordering little parts. They are Control 4 dealers and barely know the Triad product.

Kind of sad when you have 17 Triad monitor speakers with an MSRP close to $45,000 in your home theater and you can't contact somebody there to help with parts.

As Triad keeps getting gobbled up by bigger and bigger fish, I would imagine things like this will only get worse. Customer service needs to continue to be JOB #1 right along side quality products.

Try Dawn from Egret Electronics. Maybe she will be more willing to help you out.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #9578 of 9683 Old 06-10-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 235
I can help if you like.

[email protected]
post #9579 of 9683 Old 06-10-2019, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
I can help if you like.
Thanks Dawn, I'll send you an e-mail.
post #9580 of 9683 Old 06-11-2019, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've got a 5.1.4 theater setup in a 17x19 basement room with 7'9" ceilings. It's a finished room but I pre-wired for inceiling speakers in the atmos spec'd locations. I decided I'd try on-walls first before making the plunge to cut holes so I've been enjoying atmos with 4 SVS satellites mounted high up on the wall (front two mounted above LCR due to room restrictions) but I think I'm ready for the "real deal" of having inceilings.

Since it's a basement room and I have no access to the ceiling from above (and I didn't pre-build/install backer boxes) I have been considering the Bronze sealed round inceiling speakers from Triad.

For cost savings though I'm also looking at the Bronze open round version as well as the new Distributed Audio Series 2 or 3. In the joist bays in my ceiling there's roxsul insulation. I'm assuming I can't just push an open backed speaker into insulation (I have 8" of depth and the insulation is like 6" but it compresses obviously) so I was just wondering how many cubic feet of open space would I need to create by cutting out insulation. Or is the idea of using an open backed speaker without a backer box in a basement theater just an overall bad idea concerning sound quality?
post #9581 of 9683 Old 06-11-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are the speakers to be installed into a drop ceiling or into drywall?

[email protected]
post #9582 of 9683 Old 06-11-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Are the speakers to be installed into a drop ceiling or into drywall?
Double drywall ceiling (0.75"/Green Glue/0.50")
post #9583 of 9683 Old 06-11-2019, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
Double drywall ceiling (0.75"/Green Glue/0.50")
Oh man, don't cut into that ceiling, unless there are already other holes there. Thats a nice sound barrier. Cutting into it will greatly reduce that.

And using speakers without backer boxes will send sound directly upstairs....

"On Ceiling" speakers would be my choice in a room like that.
post #9584 of 9683 Old 06-12-2019, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would consider these:

OnWall Bronze Surrounds mounted on the ceiling: https://www.triadspeakers.com/produc...onze-surround/
nathan_h likes this.

[email protected]
post #9585 of 9683 Old 06-12-2019, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So I am having the same issue. I guess the days of Larry Pexton and Paul Scarpelli are over. They used to be such a good and supportive organization. I used to work for a dealer selling their product. In fact, I believe at one time I sold more Triad than anyone. I purchased my gear as an employee and used to get great support from Bailey, Pexton and everyone there.

In any case, I have several Powersubs (last gen, with the amps on-board) and am unsure how to set the Low Pass controls to work with my Anthem AVM60 and Arc Genisys. When running the sweeps, it says my subwoofer is too loud. However, when connecting them with the LFE port, the volume POT doesn't affect the volume output. I can only control the two low pass controls. I asked someone there for some advice. Here is the response I received:

"as for your question on the subs - it is something that would need to be addressed to our design team. Unfortunately, to do so you would need to be a dealer. You can contact one of our dealers and have them submit the question on your behalf. "

So, I am now forced to ask a dealer (none of whom EVER sold the product I'm asking about). All of the dealers in Michigan who sold this line are now closed, or no longer dealers.

Guess the changing of the guard also means they no longer believe in the support structure that used to be in place.

Further evidence of the worsening of American business. So GLAD Triad was able to be acquired, become a purchased checkbox on someone else's credibility scale, and then cease to offer the things that made the company great. Wish they would remember PEOPLE do business with PEOPLE. It's the further dumbing down of America.

Time to find some new speakers I guess!

PS. If there are any dealers here who can advise me as to the way that the two low pass controls function so that I can run them in ARC, I would appreciate it. I know there is no money in it for you, but I would welcome the advice.

Thanks,

David
post #9586 of 9683 Old 06-12-2019, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkoo22 View Post
Can you guys share some pics of your Triad speaker setups? I’ve gone through tons of pages in the stickies speaker post but most are all the big name brands. Wanna see all the Triad setups but barely any pics in this thread either. Show!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure! Here are some from my setup. Sound is best I’ve ever heard—Triad is THE way to go!

Final Room:

Speaker Installation:

A baffle wall got built for the LCR speakers

Then, filled the baffle wall with the Triad CinemaPlus Platinum LCR

Next up, we installed width and surround speakers - Eight Triad InWall/6 Gold LCRs:

Then, we covered the baffle wall in MDF sandwiched between two layers of 5/8" drywall with green glue:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Spizz, ReTrO, Nick V and 1 others like this.
post #9587 of 9683 Old 06-12-2019, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonettes View Post
So I am having the same issue. I guess the days of Larry Pexton and Paul Scarpelli are over. They used to be such a good and supportive organization. I used to work for a dealer selling their product. In fact, I believe at one time I sold more Triad than anyone. I purchased my gear as an employee and used to get great support from Bailey, Pexton and everyone there.

In any case, I have several Powersubs (last gen, with the amps on-board) and am unsure how to set the Low Pass controls to work with my Anthem AVM60 and Arc Genisys. When running the sweeps, it says my subwoofer is too loud. However, when connecting them with the LFE port, the volume POT doesn't affect the volume output. I can only control the two low pass controls. I asked someone there for some advice. Here is the response I received:

"as for your question on the subs - it is something that would need to be addressed to our design team. Unfortunately, to do so you would need to be a dealer. You can contact one of our dealers and have them submit the question on your behalf. "

So, I am now forced to ask a dealer (none of whom EVER sold the product I'm asking about). All of the dealers in Michigan who sold this line are now closed, or no longer dealers.

Guess the changing of the guard also means they no longer believe in the support structure that used to be in place.

Further evidence of the worsening of American business. So GLAD Triad was able to be acquired, become a purchased checkbox on someone else's credibility scale, and then cease to offer the things that made the company great. Wish they would remember PEOPLE do business with PEOPLE. It's the further dumbing down of America.

Time to find some new speakers I guess!

PS. If there are any dealers here who can advise me as to the way that the two low pass controls function so that I can run them in ARC, I would appreciate it. I know there is no money in it for you, but I would welcome the advice.

Thanks,

David
Hey David,

I would be happy to help. Please tell me the exact model number and serial number of your subs.

Dawn

[email protected]
post #9588 of 9683 Old 06-12-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Oh man, don't cut into that ceiling, unless there are already other holes there. Thats a nice sound barrier. Cutting into it will greatly reduce that.

And using speakers without backer boxes will send sound directly upstairs....

"On Ceiling" speakers would be my choice in a room like that.
Honestly the double drywall was a bandaid on a very difficult room to mitigate sound leaking. There's a fireplace in the back of the room (directly beneath the fireplace in the living room which is located on the main floor above the theater room), a heating vent in the ceiling coming out of the same duct that services the living room upstairs and and three doors in the room..one to a stairway upstairs, one to an unfinished storage room and one to the rest of the basement.

when building out the room I figured I'd try the double drywall knowing that it wouldn't actually hurt anything (well other than my wallet)...maybe it's doing something, maybe not....but when I play a movie at reference level you're absolutely able to hear it in every room of the house to different degrees.

I'm hesitant about onceilings (thanks for the suggestion though Dawn) just due to one of the locations is close to one of the doorways (the one from the stairway) and with the low ceiling height i'm just worried about it getting hit. Plus I'd still have to cut into the ceiling anyway to access the pre-wired speaker wire that's coiled up above the drywall I'm thinking I'll probably just pony up the extra couple hundred and get the sealed ones.

In hindsight I really regret being so scared about inceilings....I should have just did things right from the beginning (building and installing backer boxes) when I had an open unfinished ceiling to work with.
post #9589 of 9683 Old 06-13-2019, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There is an in-wall version of the previous speaker I mentioned: https://www.triadspeakers.com/produc...nze4-surround/
nathan_h likes this.

[email protected]
post #9590 of 9683 Old 06-13-2019, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've got a 5.1.4 theater setup in a 17x19 basement room with 7'9" ceilings. It's a finished room but I pre-wired for inceiling speakers in the atmos spec'd locations. I decided I'd try on-walls first before making the plunge to cut holes so I've been enjoying atmos with 4 SVS satellites mounted high up on the wall (front two mounted above LCR due to room restrictions) but I think I'm ready for the "real deal" of having inceilings.

Since it's a basement room and I have no access to the ceiling from above (and I didn't pre-build/install backer boxes) I have been considering the Bronze sealed round inceiling speakers from Triad.

For cost savings though I'm also looking at the Bronze open round version as well as the new Distributed Audio Series 2 or 3. In the joist bays in my ceiling there's roxsul insulation. I'm assuming I can't just push an open backed speaker into insulation (I have 8" of depth and the insulation is like 6" but it compresses obviously) so I was just wondering how many cubic feet of open space would I need to create by cutting out insulation. Or is the idea of using an open backed speaker without a backer box in a basement theater just an overall bad idea concerning sound quality?
I, too, have double dry-wall and green glue. And given your ceiling height (mine is 7'11"), I would still go for in-ceiling. Just build a backer box of double 3/4" MDF with green glue between layers and large enough, if possible, to allow room for insulation inside the box. Attach securely to the space above your ceiling (screw them in from the room side and with glue/caulk above, and you will still have as much sound leakage control as you did prior ot cutting the hole for the speaker. And it will look a lot better than any on-ceiling speaker (which I originally had).

If you don't have access to the space above, it can still be done. Build the backer box, CAREFULLY cut the ceiling opening an ~1/8th of an inch larger than the size of the box, put green glue or cualk on the edges of the opening, and screw in the backer box into the dry wall on all 4 sides.

Or not ....
grtuck likes this.
post #9591 of 9683 Old 06-15-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Honestly the double drywall was a bandaid on a very difficult room to mitigate sound leaking. There's a fireplace in the back of the room (directly beneath the fireplace in the living room which is located on the main floor above the theater room), a heating vent in the ceiling coming out of the same duct that services the living room upstairs and and three doors in the room..one to a stairway upstairs, one to an unfinished storage room and one to the rest of the basement.

when building out the room I figured I'd try the double drywall knowing that it wouldn't actually hurt anything (well other than my wallet)...maybe it's doing something, maybe not....but when I play a movie at reference level you're absolutely able to hear it in every room of the house to different degrees.

I'm hesitant about onceilings (thanks for the suggestion though Dawn) just due to one of the locations is close to one of the doorways (the one from the stairway) and with the low ceiling height i'm just worried about it getting hit. Plus I'd still have to cut into the ceiling anyway to access the pre-wired speaker wire that's coiled up above the drywall I'm thinking I'll probably just pony up the extra couple hundred and get the sealed ones.

In hindsight I really regret being so scared about inceilings....I should have just did things right from the beginning (building and installing backer boxes) when I had an open unfinished ceiling to work with.
That does sound like a challenging situation. Given you already have so much sound leakage (a water bucket is no longer a bucket if it has one hole or three or ten) I would pursue what looks best (seems like that means in ceiling for you) and sounds good in the room. Dawn’s suggestion of using surround speakers in the ceiling is a time tested method for low ceilings like yours. If you need a budget solution then the sealed rounds will work.
post #9592 of 9683 Old 06-15-2019, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Hey David,

I would be happy to help. Please tell me the exact model number and serial number of your subs.

Dawn
OMG Dawn!!!

THANK YOU for getting involved. Your request got me more information than I expected. I'm so glad to know that my initial "get lost" response from Triad was nothing more than their effort to support the dealer network.

After your request was made on my behalf, I received a response containing all of the technical data, suggestions and best practices I could hope for.

Thanks to you, my faith in the brand is restored.

Triad was the best decision I've ever made.

Thanks again,

David
nathan_h likes this.
post #9593 of 9683 Old 06-15-2019, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I also wanted to thank Dawn as well. She recently provided me some triad distributed audio in ceiling speakers to replace some very old in ceiling speakers. They look and sound great.

Brief update on my slowly progressing project. Triad came back with an initial recommendation for a 7.4 system based upon my room space (not a dedicated home theater area). Mostly silver in ceiling/in wall speakers along with a combination of four subs. The initial proposal was more than I want to spend initially so I think we are going to start with a 5.2 silver based system and expand from there over time. I am waiting to hear back as to the ultimate recommended speakers (in ceiling back vs in wall back) for the 5.2 system.

Question for everyone. I currently have a Yamaha 2060. I am considering purchasing an ATI amp to power the silvers. Can and should I use the Yamaha to power some portion of the speakers? For example, power the back two surround speakers with the Yamaha and run the LCR off the ATI amp? Is that even an option and should I consider it? Or just run everything off 7 channel ATI amp (7 channels to allow for expansion later)?

Thanks.
post #9594 of 9683 Old 06-15-2019, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallcane View Post
I also wanted to thank Dawn as well. She recently provided me some triad distributed audio in ceiling speakers to replace some very old in ceiling speakers. They look and sound great.

Brief update on my slowly progressing project. Triad came back with an initial recommendation for a 7.4 system based upon my room space (not a dedicated home theater area). Mostly silver in ceiling/in wall speakers along with a combination of four subs. The initial proposal was more than I want to spend initially so I think we are going to start with a 5.2 silver based system and expand from there over time. I am waiting to hear back as to the ultimate recommended speakers (in ceiling back vs in wall back) for the 5.2 system.

Question for everyone. I currently have a Yamaha 2060. I am considering purchasing an ATI amp to power the silvers. Can and should I use the Yamaha to power some portion of the speakers? For example, power the back two surround speakers with the Yamaha and run the LCR off the ATI amp? Is that even an option and should I consider it? Or just run everything off 7 channel ATI amp (7 channels to allow for expansion later)?

Thanks.
My first suggestion is to make sure the Yamaha 2060 will support 11 channels of processing for a 7.1.4. If I remember right it only supports 9 channels of processing, which means a 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 setup...no 7.1.4 setups. You will have to upgrade your receiver at a later date.

That said...off loading your LCR speakers to an external amp is probably one of the most important things you can do to relieve the burden on your receiver. At the same time, using the receiver's internal amps to power some of the surrounds or the ceiling speakers is a good approach to balance cost and rack space with reaching your audio goals.

If you want to play it safe and/or allow for potential future audio flexibility without using up additional rack space...and have the budget flexibility...then getting the 7-channel amp may be a good option.

If you want to conserve funds as much as possible...say you want to upgrade your receiver to the Yamaha 3080 for 11 channels of processing as soon as you can...then getting a 3- to 5-channel amp may be a better option.

Either way it is doable and practical.

One thing to remember is that a 7-channel class AB amp is HEAVY. Been there, done that! At my age, I have gone exclusively to high-quality class D amps. I find the sound quality is as good and it is a LOT easier to move the amps around. In fact, most receivers, including Yamaha now use class D amps.

FWIW.

EDIT: Re-reading the initial post I see I may have misread it. I was thinking the post was referring to including ATMOS speakers, now I realize you may be referring to 7 bed speakers and 4 subs. If so, then my post is generally correct except for the need to upgrade your receiver. I'm sorry for any confusion.

Ralph

Last edited by AudioFan810; 06-15-2019 at 04:00 PM.
post #9595 of 9683 Old 06-15-2019, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks Ralph. Glad you added the edit as I was about to launch on a researching expedition. Will probably try to ride the 2060 for a while if I can. Thanks again. Oh, definitely leaning towards ATI’s class D amps...
post #9596 of 9683 Old 06-15-2019, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallcane View Post

Thanks.
In a 5.x system, the surrounds are not "backs", they're "sides". They are ideally placed at 90 to 110 degrees to the listening position.

If you go to a 7.x system, you then add "backs" or "rear" speakers:

In a 5.x system, the speakers are ideally placed on the side walls at 90 to 110 degrees, and slightly above ear height. If you need installed speakers, in-walls would be the best option. In-ceiling placements can "work", and a lot of people use them, but they are definitely not the"ideal" placements.

Good luck.

Craig
Dawn Gordon, adidino and batpig like this.

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System
post #9597 of 9683 Old 06-18-2019, 01:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Triad Owner's Thread

I am looking to change my QSC DCA amp to ATI AT525NC which I know ATI is recommenced by Traid

My setup is GOLD LCR for the front and the surround and hight ch are GOLD omni SE and I plan to use 3 amps from the AT525NC to my 15ch setup

Is this amp works fine with the GOLD and trinnov altitude32

Thx
@Dawn Gordon

Last edited by A7mad78; 06-18-2019 at 02:35 AM.
post #9598 of 9683 Old 06-18-2019, 02:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7mad78 View Post
I am looking to change my QSC DCA amp to ATI AT525NC which I know ATI is recommenced by Traid

My setup is GOLD LCR for the front and the surround and hight ch are GOLD omni SE and I plan to use 3 amps from the AT525NC to my 15ch setup

Is this amp works fine with the GOLD and trinnov altitude32

Thx
@Dawn Gordon

I use an Altitude and have two of the ATI amps: One 7 channel and One 8 channel (less expensive than 3 five channel amps). Works and sounds great!
post #9599 of 9683 Old 06-18-2019, 02:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I use an Altitude and have two of the ATI amps: One 7 channel and One 8 channel (less expensive than 3 five channel amps). Works and sounds great!

Same model or the 600x

Thx

post #9600 of 9683 Old 06-18-2019, 03:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7mad78 View Post
Same model or the 600x