Triad Owner's Thread - Page 322 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 880Likes

post #9631 of 9867 Old 06-27-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Liked: 2234
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Frankly, if you're working with Shawn you shouldn't be asking us for advice. Do what he says : ) ... he's one of the best and most knowledgeable HT designers and acousticians out there and has a long history with Triad (including having them develop custom designs for his theaters as needed). You will not regret following his advice.
Oh I am...but trying to keep my "this popped in my head" series of questions to a certain limit while he's working on the design. Can you tell Summer is my slow period at work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9632 of 9867 Old 06-27-2019, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 4982 Post(s)
Liked: 3822
Quote:
Frankly, if you're working with Shawn you shouldn't be asking us for advice. Do what he says : ) ... he's one of the best and most knowledgeable HT designers and acousticians out there and has a long history with Triad (including having them develop custom designs for his theaters as needed). You will not regret following his advice.
Is Shawn not working with Dennis Erskine any longer? Or did he ever?
post #9633 of 9867 Old 06-27-2019, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 4840 Post(s)
Liked: 5162
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Is Shawn not working with Dennis Erskine any longer? Or did he ever?
He used to, but he left the Erskine group and went out on his own a few years back and now he's Head of Acoustical & System Design with Quest Acoustics

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9634 of 9867 Old 06-27-2019, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 4982 Post(s)
Liked: 3822
Thanks. I have a potential client who will be looking to build a new room for a theater.
post #9635 of 9867 Old 06-28-2019, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
It's always best to go with a vertically positioned center channel -- preferably at the same height as the right and left front speakers.
So maybe this is a bit of a novice question, but how do you make this work if the TV is mounted above the fireplace. Place the center channel to the side of the TV? Certainly can't go below as that would put the TV up against the ceiling.

Or is this one of those "break the rules" scenarios and flip the speaker 90* and mount it horizontally below the TV and above the FP?
post #9636 of 9867 Old 06-28-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Obviously there are situations where you can't easily install a center channel speaker vertically. So in this case it would make sense to just position the speaker horizontally under the TV.

[email protected]
post #9637 of 9867 Old 06-28-2019, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Hey All!

As requested here is my completed 5.2.4 setup in my living room. Wiring was all ran under the room and in the ceiling/walls. My goal aesthetically was to keep the room clean and simplistic while keeping the french country furniture theme in order to avoid WAF. I did not have an extra room for a fully dedicated HT setup so I made due with what I had. I am extremely pleased with the final outcome, for now. Here is my small and humble abode.

Room size: 13.5x15x8

Speakers: Triad Bronze
L/R In Room LCR
Center
2 OnWall Surrounds
4 InCeiling 8/SATs

Gear
65” LG C8
Denon x4500
AC Infinity Fan
Apple TV 4k
Panasonic UB-820 BluRay Player
Furman Elite 15 DM i
Harmony Elite
Dual PSA S1510s
HT Design Southampton sofa and loveseat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rboster, ReTrO, craig john and 2 others like this.
post #9638 of 9867 Old 06-28-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilld View Post
So maybe this is a bit of a novice question, but how do you make this work if the TV is mounted above the fireplace.
You don't. The game of "achieving the ideal" has already been lost when you mount the TV above the fireplace. You're making a significant compromise in proper sound/video layout as your starting point, so you do what you have to do to make it work at that point.

More broadly this is a general issue with anything but an AT screen -- the ideal for LCR is three identical speakers at ear level. If the center speaker cannot be placed behind the screen, then inherently the ideal is no longer possible. You either make a sacrifice in proper screen height (e.g. mounting the TV higher so the center can be in the right place) or you make a sacrifice in proper center channel sound reproduction (using a horizontal center below the screen).
craig john likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9639 of 9867 Old 06-28-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 503
TV above the fireplace is the trend in many houses today. It seems to be an efficient use of space but not ideal from an AV perspective. Maybe 2 floorstanding speakers with a phantom center might be better.
craig john likes this.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #9640 of 9867 Old 06-28-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
Obviously there are situations where you can't easily install a center channel speaker vertically. So in this case it would make sense to just position the speaker horizontally under the TV.
Quote:
You don't. The game of "achieving the ideal" has already been lost when you mount the TV above the fireplace. You're making a significant compromise in proper sound/video layout as your starting point, so you do what you have to do to make it work at that point.

More broadly this is a general issue with anything but an AT screen -- the ideal for LCR is three identical speakers at ear level. If the center speaker cannot be placed behind the screen, then inherently the ideal is no longer possible. You either make a sacrifice in proper screen height (e.g. mounting the TV higher so the center can be in the right place) or you make a sacrifice in proper center channel sound reproduction (using a horizontal center below the screen).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
TV above the fireplace is the trend in many houses today. It seems to be an efficient use of space but not ideal from an AV perspective. Maybe 2 floorstanding speakers with a phantom center might be better.
Thank you for the input. Yes, won't have a dedicated room and this will be our vacation home and possibly make it a vacation rental, so trying to make it good, but also need to take into consideration that I will be using in walls for the front and in ceiling for the rear as I don't have a rear wall to work with and I want to minimize potential damage by renters who might have young children.
post #9641 of 9867 Old 06-28-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkoo22 View Post
Hey All!

As requested here is my completed 5.2.4 setup in my living room. Wiring was all ran under the room and in the ceiling/walls. My goal aesthetically was to keep the room clean and simplistic while keeping the french country furniture theme in order to avoid WAF. I did not have an extra room for a fully dedicated HT setup so I made due with what I had. I am extremely pleased with the final outcome, for now. Here is my small and humble abode.

L/R In Room LCR
Center
2 OnWall Surrounds
4 InCeiling 8/SATs

Gear
65” LG C8
Denon x4500
AC Infinity Fan
Apple TV 4k
Furman Elite 15 DM i
Harmony Elite
Dual PSA S1510s
That looks good, but you had to toss in the picture of the water. Looks very relaxing.
post #9642 of 9867 Old 06-28-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2850 Post(s)
Liked: 2615
If this will be a rental, be sure the receiver you use has a volume limiter. You've been warned

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #9643 of 9867 Old 06-28-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
If this will be a rental, be sure the receiver you use has a volume limiter. You've been warned
Good point.
post #9644 of 9867 Old 06-29-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:

Haha I actually have already been warned! Not a rental but doesnt matter. I didnt realize the sliding door was open at 10 at night the other day. Running atmos demo discs with the Denon at 70 volume. The next day I heard it from the neighbors.

post #9645 of 9867 Old 06-29-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Haha I actually have already been warned! Not a rental but doesnt matter. I didnt realize the sliding door was open at 10 at night the other day. Running atmos demo discs with the Denon at 70 volume. The next day I heard it from the neighbors.

I doubt that anyone on this site hasn't had a neighbor complaint at one time or another! Just try not to repeat the mistake!

post #9646 of 9867 Old 06-30-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 4599
Quote:
Hey All!

L/R In Room LCR
Center
2 OnWall Surrounds
4 InCeiling 8/SATs

Gear
65” LG C8
Denon x4500
AC Infinity Fan
Apple TV 4k
Furman Elite 15 DM i
Harmony Elite
Dual PSA S1510s

Nice set-up! Pictures are great. Enjoy...

Yeah, I have to be cognizant of the neighbors after setting up my system. I live in a single family house. I went outside to see what it sounded like while playing (blasting?) music at a "respectful" level. All my windows/doors were shut, and anyone walking by would have NO trouble hearing what I was playing.
grtuck likes this.

Spoiler!
post #9647 of 9867 Old 06-30-2019, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4619 Post(s)
Liked: 2690
Quote:
Hey All!

L/R In Room LCR
Center
2 OnWall Surrounds
4 InCeiling 8/SATs

Gear
65â€Â LG C8
Denon x4500
AC Infinity Fan
Apple TV 4k
Furman Elite 15 DM i
Harmony Elite
Dual PSA S1510s

Excellent! I love how it finally turned out!! Clean and classy install. I'm happy it turned out well and that you are enjoying your new Triad Atmos system.

Now, start charging admission! 😄

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #9648 of 9867 Old 06-30-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A bit of toe-in might be beneficial in reducing the bounce off that left wall. Alternatively, some sort of soft treatment on that wall, next to the speaker would help, in that regard. Also, they might benefit by a bit more room behind them, improving mid-bass response, as well as the size of the soundstage. A bit of experimentation may reveal improvements.
Dawn Gordon and batpig like this.

post #9649 of 9867 Old 07-05-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
A bit of toe-in might be beneficial in reducing the bounce off that left wall. Alternatively, some sort of soft treatment on that wall, next to the speaker would help, in that regard. Also, they might benefit by a bit more room behind them, improving mid-bass response, as well as the size of the soundstage. A bit of experimentation may reveal improvements.
Thanks for the advice. I actually angled it in to the main listening position a bit. The sound treatment is a good idea I may take up but I just gotta figure something aesthetically pleasing for the wife. The room behind, well, I can push it forward close to a foot. Thats a tough one though since my space is so limited. Part of the reason I keep the lcr almost against the wall is because I’m freaked out my kid n his friends are going run into it.
post #9650 of 9867 Old 07-05-2019, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I actually angled it in to the main listening position a bit. The sound treatment is a good idea I may take up but I just gotta figure something aesthetically pleasing for the wife. The room behind, well, I can push it forward close to a foot. Thats a tough one though since my space is so limited. Part of the reason I keep the lcr almost against the wall is because I’m freaked out my kid n his friends are going run into it.

post #9651 of 9867 Old 07-06-2019, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have Gold LCR in walls and Silver surrounds in the ceiling. I’d like to add Dolby Atmos but the room layout limits my options. Do you think I could use a pair of silver in ceiling satellites in the wall with the speakers angled towards the ceiling? They would have to be placed below the in wall L and R speakers to allow enough distance from the ceiling. If that is an option could I mix in ceiling rounds for the rear Atmos and the in ceiling silver sats in the walls for the fronts? Thanks.

Last edited by jimbo70; 07-06-2019 at 04:21 PM.
post #9652 of 9867 Old 07-06-2019, 04:15 PM

Sorry duplicate post
post #9653 of 9867 Old 07-06-2019, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 503
I wonder what Triad products will be phased out with the SnapAV merger with Control4 due to crossover with house brand Episode?

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #9654 of 9867 Old 07-06-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo70 View Post
I have Gold LCR in walls and Silver surrounds in the ceiling. I’d like to add Dolby Atmos but the room layout limits my options. Do you think I could use a pair of silver in ceiling satellites in the wall with the speakers angled towards the ceiling? They would have to be placed below the in wall L and R speakers to allow enough distance from the ceiling. If that is an option could I mix in ceiling rounds for the rear Atmos and the in ceiling silver sats in the walls for the fronts? Thanks.
This is super confusing. You've got surrounds in the CEILING but for the Atmos heights you want to install speakers in the wall? I get you'll be reflecting them upwards but this is all sorts of weird... Atmos needs distinct separation from the ear level and overhead layers to work properly. It's not just about jamming more speakers in the room.

What we really need is a diagram and/or photos of the room to understand what's happening in terms of the layout and position of the speakers.

But my first thought absent this info is why wouldn't you use the speakers you already have installed in the ceiling for Atmos?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9655 of 9867 Old 07-06-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo70 View Post
I have Gold LCR in walls and Silver surrounds in the ceiling. I’️d like to add Dolby Atmos but the room layout limits my options. Do you think I could use a pair of silver in ceiling satellites in the wall with the speakers angled towards the ceiling? They would have to be placed below the in wall L and R speakers to allow enough distance from the ceiling. If that is an option could I mix in ceiling rounds for the rear Atmos and the in ceiling silver sats in the walls for the fronts? Thanks.
This is super confusing. You've got surrounds in the CEILING but for the Atmos heights you want to install speakers in the wall? I get you'll be reflecting them upwards but this is all sorts of weird... Atmos needs distinct separation from the ear level and overhead layers to work properly. It's not just about jamming more speakers in the room.

What we really need is a diagram and/or photos of the room to understand what's happening in terms of the layout and position of the speakers.

But my first thought absent this info is why wouldn't you use the speakers you already have installed in the ceiling for Atmos?
I apologize, I will put a diagram and an explanation of the room issues I am dealing with and post tomorrow.
post #9656 of 9867 Old 07-07-2019, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi Jimbo,

BP is correct. Depending on placement, you may be able to use your surround speakers for Atmos. With Atmos you must be very careful to separate the two audio "layers" : speaker and Atmos. If they are too close together the whole effect falls apart.

[email protected]
post #9657 of 9867 Old 07-07-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:

Sorry about the first post, I will try to explain again. The room is "L" shaped roughly 24' x 24' with a 10' x 12' room making the cutout of the "L".

There is a supply and return duct right above the seating area. The wall to the left of the seating area is a bar area with cabinets and a fridge about 9 feet away and to the right there are sliding doors and a built in desk about 14 feet away. there is a wall directly behind the couch.

The only place to put the surrounds was in the ceiling about 8 feet from the centerline of the TV. There are no rear surrounds because the general consensus I received was the rear surrounds would have to go in the wall directly above the couch and they would be too close to the seating area. The front and center speakers are in wall, and the ducts make the ceiling height very low in the seating area. I realize it might not be possible but I figured I would ask for thoughts on how or if to proceed. I've attached some photos, hopefully they will help. Sorry the room is a bit of a mess.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7969.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	2588560   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7973.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	2588562   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7970.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	2588564   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7972.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	2588566  

Last edited by jimbo70; 07-07-2019 at 01:38 PM.
post #9658 of 9867 Old 07-10-2019, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Anyone listened to both the Platinums and the Cinema Ref?

Tried to search at least for one review online for the Cinema Reference LCR's but found none.

What would you say is the difference other than design, size, weight, sensitivity and driver sizes?

Are the cinema reference worth the extra price?

Thanks

Processor Marantz AV8805 Amps Crown DCI/N x2 CT8150 x1 Speakers JBL PRO M2 x3 708i x4 328c x6 Subs SVS SB16 x2 Screen SI 160 Slate AT 1.2 Projector Epson TW5600 Media Steiger Dynamics Ikon Cables&Chords Wireworld & Belden

Last edited by Balbolito; 07-10-2019 at 06:23 AM.
post #9659 of 9867 Old 07-10-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 1572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbolito View Post
Anyone listened to both the Platinums and the Cinema Ref?

Tried to search at least for one review online for the Cinema Reference LCR's but found none.

What would you say is the difference other than design, size, weight, sensitivity and driver sizes?

Are the cinema reference worth the extra price?

Thanks
I own the Plat's and although I've never heard the CR's, if I were to win the lottery, I would definitely upgrade to them. I like the concept of the folded ribbon in a waveguide. Having said that, I would also want to upgrade my room. I think I would need to listen from further away than I do my Plat's, and that would require a larger screen and brighter projector.

If you have the means, I think the price of a plane ticket to Portland would be a good investment. Not only could you hear them, but you could get first hand advice on optimizing them.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System
post #9660 of 9867 Old 07-10-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have heard the difference.

The Cinema Reference speakers have more dynamics and extension than the Plats. But the Plats are phenomenal speakers so you can't really go wrong selecting them. However, at $15k each, your budget doesn't cover the Cinema Reference speakers, so it may be a moot point.

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page