Triad Owner's Thread - Page 329 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 903Likes

post #9841 of 9937 Old 09-16-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4901 Post(s)
Liked: 5278
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Interesting. I have never heard the Gold Monitors but according to the Triad website, the LCR's have larger woofers, slightly larger power handling, extend slightly lower in response and are a 3 way vs 2 way. But good for Triad (and potential clients) if the Monitors can keep up with the LCRs!!
While the Gold LCR does have larger woofers (and a physically larger cabinet), worth noting that the Gold Monitors use much more expensive Scan-Speak Revelator drivers. So it's not quite apples to apples to note that the Gold LCR has 8.5" woofers whereas the Gold Monitor has 7" woofers.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9842 of 9937 Old 09-16-2019, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
While the Gold LCR does have larger woofers (and a physically larger cabinet), worth noting that the Gold Monitors use much more expensive Scan-Speak Revelator drivers. So it's not quite apples to apples to note that the Gold LCR has 8.5" woofers whereas the Gold Monitor has 7" woofers.
Have you heard both? If so, which do you prefer - i.e. Gold LCR's or Monitors?
post #9843 of 9937 Old 09-16-2019, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
Nice.

I have Gold Monitors and Gold MiniMonitors too. Love them.
Same here - awesome speakers !!
DigsMovies likes this.

Processor: Marantz 8802a Amplifiers: ATI Signature AT6007, Emotiva XPA5 Floor Speakers: (3) Triad Inroom Gold Monitors and (4) Gold Minimonitors ATMOS Speakers: (4) Atlantic Technology IC-6 OBA BR Players: Oppo BDP-95, Panasonic DMP UB900 Streamers: Dune D1, Roku 4, nVidia Shield Screen: Panasonic Plasma TC-P65VT25 Subs: (2) Velodyne Optimums and (1) HSU ULS-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9844 of 9937 Old 09-17-2019, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
Have you heard both? If so, which do you prefer - i.e. Gold LCR's or Monitors?
I have heard both and the difference is mostly noticeable when playing music. The Gold Monitor's have a smoother, slightly warmer, and more "musical" sound than the Gold LCRs. That's why I recommend them to our customers looking for both high-end movie and music reproduction.

We generally spec the Gold LCRs for dedicated theater rooms and they can play loud and sound great. They are excellent speakers to be sure.

[email protected]
post #9845 of 9937 Old 09-17-2019, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1643 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Dawn,

My plan for my renovated/upgraded home theatre, built in 1997 originally, is to move from a 5.2.4 system to a 9.4.13 system. Speakers will be 3 Aerial Acoustics 7t floorstanders up front, 6 Aerial 7LCRs on wall, for the base layer. 2 JL Audio f212 subwoofers (each sub has 2 12" woofers) and 2 Paradigm Personal subwoofers (each sub has 6 8" woofers), with subs at the quarter points of the side walls. Currently per my installer Gerry Behm, [email protected], we have planned 13 Triad inceiling rotatable/9 Sat speakers. My theatre is 18'3" wide, 25' deep (the buildout at the rear, where we took out cabinets/shelves/wetbar and are putting in new cabinetry, etc with moving component racks back there and also projector, so may end up only 24' to 24.5' deep when we get done with this), and 12' high. My installer recommended the Triad inceiling rotatable/9 Sat speakers as they can be aimed with the built in laser at the MLP and as my ceiling is high at 12' high. At CEDIA of course the Trinnov (I have Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP) - Triad demo was very nice and impressive, using Triad Gold up front and I believe Triad Gold minis for the rest.
Since we originally planned the above Triad inceiling speakers, we have decided that we can move air vents and lighting if necessary to obtain near perfect positioning.

Question whether you would recommend I consider any different Triad speaker inceiling for this purpose,and the pros and cons of this approach?

Also, do you think there is any benefit of adding any inceiling Triad subwoofer(s), and if so please explain.

I admit that at CEDIA I really didn't hear the benefit of any inceiling subwoofers, and too many subs in too many places adds to the complexity of PEQ and Trinnov optimization for the subs. But curious what you think about this.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #9846 of 9937 Old 09-17-2019, 05:04 PM

I thought 13 was a typo, then you repeated it again! What are you going to do with THIRTEEN in-ceiling speakers? Even if the Atmos setup was 9.4.8, which is already a lot, and you add some extra for Auro3D (e.g. Center Height and/or Surround Height) I'm still not following how you get to 13? If your room is long enough that you're going for the full 10 Atmos overheads, I would question why you only have 9 speakers on the base layer?

If it's for Auro/Atmos cross-compatibility, the Trinnov is smart enough to let you repurpose the Atmos "Top Middle" speakers as an array for "Top Surround" (voice of god) for Auro. I'm assuming this is a relatively large room, with so many ceiling speakers, so it wouldn't make sense to have a single mono Top Surround but rather array it to directly-overhead using existing Atmos middle overheads (an example in this Auro3D layout diagram showing a VoG array to multiple overheads, which will create more even coverage of the seating vs a single speaker).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9847 of 9937 Old 09-17-2019, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5097 Post(s)
Liked: 3951
^^ I'm with you. I don't understand 13 either, particularity with the 3D remapping feature of the Trinnov.

My room is 22 feet long so 8 ceilings speakers would work, and 10 would be stretch. I don't need a VOG since the heights above my head can be that. If I were to expand beyond my 9.x.6 it would be 13.x.8.

I'm sure he must have a good reason!

Mark 10:45 ][ Home Theater Of The Month: The Oconee Theater ][ Music by Leslie Austin ][Jeremiah 4:1-2
post #9848 of 9937 Old 09-17-2019, 09:30 PM

As I am remodeling, I thought why not cover every eventuality, and Trinnov advised that I do this as long as I don't mind the extra cost. Note my theatre after remodel, with cabinets/component racks, etc at back, will be 18' 3" wide, 24.5' long, 11'11" high.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #9849 of 9937 Old 09-18-2019, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
As I am remodeling, I thought why not cover every eventuality, and Trinnov advised that I do this as long as I don't mind the extra cost. Note my theatre after remodel, with cabinets/component racks, etc at back, will be 18' 3" wide, 24.5' long, 11'11" high.
I hear you but I am surprised Trinnov would make this kind of recommendation given the existence of re-mapping - along with the non-existence of Auro source material. But, if DTS:X Pro will use all of those speakers, it could be quite interesting.

Mark 10:45 ][ Home Theater Of The Month: The Oconee Theater ][ Music by Leslie Austin ][Jeremiah 4:1-2
post #9850 of 9937 Old 09-18-2019, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dawn,

My plan for my renovated/upgraded home theatre, built in 1997 originally, is to move from a 5.2.4 system to a 9.4.13 system. Speakers will be 3 Aerial Acoustics 7t floorstanders up front, 6 Aerial 7LCRs on wall, for the base layer. 2 JL Audio f212 subwoofers (each sub has 2 12" woofers) and 2 Paradigm Personal subwoofers (each sub has 6 8" woofers), with subs at the quarter points of the side walls. Currently per my installer Gerry Behm, [email protected], we have planned 13 Triad inceiling rotatable/9 Sat speakers. My theatre is 18'3" wide, 25' deep (the buildout at the rear, where we took out cabinets/shelves/wetbar and are putting in new cabinetry, etc with moving component racks back there and also projector, so may end up only 24' to 24.5' deep when we get done with this), and 12' high. My installer recommended the Triad inceiling rotatable/9 Sat speakers as they can be aimed with the built in laser at the MLP and as my ceiling is high at 12' high. At CEDIA of course the Trinnov (I have Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP) - Triad demo was very nice and impressive, using Triad Gold up front and I believe Triad Gold minis for the rest.
Since we originally planned the above Triad inceiling speakers, we have decided that we can move air vents and lighting if necessary to obtain near perfect positioning.

Question whether you would recommend I consider any different Triad speaker inceiling for this purpose,and the pros and cons of this approach?

Also, do you think there is any benefit of adding any inceiling Triad subwoofer(s), and if so please explain.

I admit that at CEDIA I really didn't hear the benefit of any inceiling subwoofers, and too many subs in too many places adds to the complexity of PEQ and Trinnov optimization for the subs. But curious what you think about this.
I agree with BP and others. 13 Atmos speakers is way too many. Depending on the number of rows, I would consider (4) IC Bronze LCRs, for the front and rear Atmos speakers, and (2) IW Bronze LCRs for the middle of the room.

[email protected]
post #9851 of 9937 Old 09-18-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I hear you but I am surprised Trinnov would make this kind of recommendation given the existence of re-mapping - along with the non-existence of Auro source material. But, if DTS:X Pro will use all of those speakers, it could be quite interesting.
Quote:
I agree with BP and others. 13 Atmos speakers is way too many. Depending on the number of rows, I would consider (4) IC Bronze LCRs, for the front and rear Atmos speakers, and (2) IW Bronze LCRs for the middle of the room.
Actually, I have a number of 2L blu ray audio discs and some of them have Auro-3D tracks!!!

Dawn, my installer recommended the Triad inceiling rotatable/9 Sat speakers as they can be aimed with the built in laser at the MLP and as my ceiling is high at 12' high. Isn't this an issue with the IC Bronze LCRs and IW Bronze LCRs? Please explain the pros and cons of these speakers vs the Triad inceiling rotatable/9 Sat speakers for my setup. Trinnov and others have emphasized the importance of the top/inceiling speakers being aimed at the MLP (middle listening position).

post #9852 of 9937 Old 09-18-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

We typically use Silver RotaSats for problem theaters where standard LCRs won't work properly. Atmos is based on coverage and height, and the IC Bronze LCRs are angled toward the listener at a 45 degree angle.

If you could upload a floorplan (with seating) we can take a look to see if there are any problems.

[email protected]
post #9853 of 9937 Old 09-18-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
We typically use Silver RotaSats for problem theaters where standard LCRs won't work properly. Atmos is based on coverage and height, and the IC Bronze LCRs are angled toward the listener at a 45 degree angle.

If you could upload a floorplan (with seating) we can take a look to see if there are any problems.
Thanks, Dawn. In talking with my installer, he advises that due to large overside air vents, this limits ceiling placement a bit, which is why he has recommended what he has. However, I will give him your email to discuss with you as the ceiling install is scheduled to start the start of October as my attic is awful hot here in Arizona now!

post #9854 of 9937 Old 09-18-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
As I am remodeling, I thought why not cover every eventuality, and Trinnov advised that I do this as long as I don't mind the extra cost.
OK, that doesn't really answer the question. What possible eventuality will require THIRTEEN ceiling speakers? And in what version of that eventuality is 13 ceiling speakers required yet you only need 9 ear level speakers?

Are they recommending something like this? Two five-speaker arrays front-to-back and then a Center Height + Top Surround in the middle for Auro3D? If so, I would argue that a multi-row theater like that should also have at least dual side-surrounds to even coverage across the rows for surround effects, so at minimum 11 speakers at ear level.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9855 of 9937 Old 09-18-2019, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^ What said!!

post #9856 of 9937 Old 09-18-2019, 05:47 PM

Per Adam Pelz, Trinnov recommends the standard 10 Dolby Atmos speakers, then add a single Height Center and a pair of Tops to cover multiple rows, which would be 13 channels and do a good job with all 3 immersive formats..

post #9857 of 9937 Old 09-18-2019, 11:47 PM

Few people know more about home theater (and, specifically, Trinnov) than Adam, so I would trust his recommendation as his reputation is impeccable. That said, it still doesn't make sense to me that if 5 pairs of Atmos overheads are merited, why wouldn't the situation by extension also merit additional side-wall speakers? I would expect at least dual side surrounds, as I noted above.

Regardless, you are in extremely good hands and clearly have the budget to make no compromises, so I am 100% sure you will be thrilled with the result especially if Adam is calibrating the system.
audioguy and sdrucker like this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9858 of 9937 Old 10-04-2019, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What do you all think of this setup?

4x Triad inwall Bronze surrounds
4x Triad inceiling Bronze/8 Sat for Atmos

Would a Silver/6 Sat for Atmos be worth the extra $200?
post #9859 of 9937 Old 10-04-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's really mostly dependent on ceiling height. I seem to remember that you have an 8 foot ceiling, so the Bronze Sats should work.

[email protected]
post #9860 of 9937 Old 10-07-2019, 05:04 PM
WGH

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would like to thank Dawn for her excellent advice recommending the Bipole Inwall Bronze/4 Surrounds to use as my Atmos speakers, my ceiling is 7'-10" high and the resulting sound is clean, clear and room filling with explosive dynamics without any beaming. I also use 2 Onwall Bronze Surrounds for surround speakers (of course) and a pair of custom made Vifa bipole speakers for the top rear speakers. Amplification is a mix of new and old Van Alstine and Adcom amps for a total of 1765 high current watts.

Installation took a week, crawling through the attic was impossible because of a combination of low height, braces and 16" of blown insulation so I figured out how to run wires from hole to hole from below.

The goal was to make as many speakers as possible disappear. I think I succeeded, the finished photo has 8 speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attic.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	2625034   Click image for larger version

Name:	hanging_wires.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	2625036   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished_atmos.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	2625054  
grtuck likes this.
post #9861 of 9937 Old 10-07-2019, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
It's really mostly dependent on ceiling height. I seem to remember that you have an 8 foot ceiling, so the Bronze Sats should work.

Yep 8 feet. Which will be reduced 2-3” depending on my soundproofing
post #9862 of 9937 Old 10-11-2019, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm building a new house and I'm considering using two of the InWall Bronze 4 or 6 Sub, would it be better to have two amps or get the subs at 8 ohm sharing an amp? Not sure how much of a price difference/performance difference there is either way?
post #9863 of 9937 Old 10-11-2019, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I believe that there's a 3db difference between using (2) 8 ohm subs with a single RackAmp 300 and going with (2) RackAmp 300's and (2) 4 ohm subs.

MSRP pricing below:

(2) InWall Bronze Subs with RackAmp 300 (two 8-ohm woofer enclosures): $2260

(1) InWall Bronze Sub with RackAmp 300 (4-ohm woofer enclosure): $1460 x 2 = $2920

[email protected]
post #9864 of 9937 Old 10-11-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
I believe that there's a 3db difference between using (2) 8 ohm subs with a single RackAmp 300 and going with (2) RackAmp 300's and (2) 4 ohm subs.

MSRP pricing below:

(2) InWall Bronze Subs with RackAmp 300 (two 8-ohm woofer enclosures): $2260

(1) InWall Bronze Sub with RackAmp 300 (4-ohm woofer enclosure): $1460 x 2 = $2920
Thanks, so not too drastic, probably more of a difference though with the low end of the 6 vs 4.

Looking into this a bit more I may need to use the in ceiling bronze 10 sub.

Here is a general layout of the room (22x18), the cathedral ceiling makes it challenging, I guess I should be using inceiling vs inwall for these locations?

Green = Triad In Ceiling Silver 8 LCR or ?
Yellow = ?
Red = Possible Sub locations
post #9865 of 9937 Old 10-11-2019, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ Wow!! Beautiful space. Very, very nice!!

post #9866 of 9937 Old 10-11-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickC View Post
Thanks, so not too drastic, probably more of a difference though with the low end of the 6 vs 4.

Looking into this a bit more I may need to use the in ceiling bronze 10 sub.

Here is a general layout of the room (22x18), the cathedral ceiling makes it challenging, I guess I should be using inceiling vs inwall for these locations?

Green = Triad In Ceiling Silver 8 LCR or ?
Yellow = ?
Red = Possible Sub locations
I would rather see InWall's in the corners of the room instead of InCeiling mounting. If you can only do InCeiling, then try to get the subs closer to the walls or even near the corners for better performance.

[email protected]
post #9867 of 9937 Old 10-11-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I would rather see InWall's in the corners of the room instead of InCeiling mounting. If you can only do InCeiling, then try to get the subs closer to the walls or even near the corners for better performance.
Thanks, i'll probably be limited to the 4 with in walls in those locations, but since this is a general viewing room the loss of the deeper low end should be ok.
post #9868 of 9937 Old 10-19-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Question

Question ???

Do any of you have the ............

I would really like/enjoy hearing what you think of them and if you have 4 or 6 of them overhead ???

Thanks,
Terry
post #9869 of 9937 Old 10-21-2019, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Yes I do on Rotating silver Sats. I have 4 of them. Room is small, single row of seats.

Rotating to aim is handy and works well. The 9v laser guide is neat trick but once installed not needed. Helpful but slightly gimmicky, guess it depends on cost to add this feature.

Performance the sound nice, in Atmos duty it is hard to critically assess ceiling speakers when there is so much more info coming at you from other channels.

I have Triad silver everywhere else in my 7.2.4 so it made sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tigerhonaker likes this.

post #9870 of 9937 Old 10-22-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdfein View Post
Yes I do on Rotating silver Sats. I have 4 of them. Room is small, single row of seats.

Rotating to aim is handy and works well. The 9v laser guide is neat trick but once installed not needed. Helpful but slightly gimmicky, guess it depends on cost to add this feature.

Performance the sound nice, in Atmos duty it is hard to critically assess ceiling speakers when there is so much more info coming at you from other channels.

I have Triad silver everywhere else in my 7.2.4 so it made sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I Thank-You ... Sir for your response.

My H/T is, 24' Long, 20' Wide 9' Ceiling.
Approximate dimensions ^^^

When and if I ever get to add Atmos I'm going to go with six (6) overhead speakers.

Thanks again,
Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page