Triad Owner's Thread - Page 348 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1286Likes

post #10411 of 10519 Old 05-17-2020, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5210 Post(s)
Liked: 6014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogaboga View Post
yeah it really holds me back for buying or recommending them to friends especially since we don't have a dealer nearby and if we took the leap of faith and didn't end up liking them, well we are ****ed we can't even return them with a fee. even third party measurements aren't available.
With respect, I know it's frustrating to be an enthusiast and not see all the data you want.... but remember that Triad is trusted by nearly every top custom installer in the world. Not just average joe local installers, but the famous guys like Dennis Erskine, Anthony Grimani, Shawn Byrne who are building world-class theaters that win CEDIA awards. And, also, not only are these big names, they are also HT acoustics experts and thought leaders who don't just slap a product into a room and call it a day, these are the guys doing custom acoustic designs by making calculations based on what they know about speaker directivity / off-axis response. They would NOT use Triad speakers if they didn't have great measurements, i.e. consistent, predictable performance with low distortion and excellent off-axis response.

And Dolby trusts them to test and develop new technology, they used Triad speakers to demo Atmos when it first came out in 2014 and last CEDIA they chose Triad for their super high channel count Trinnov demo room which won awards.

My feeling is that is that if ALL of these top pros trust Triad in their flagship theater designs, what possible reason is there for you or me, amateur HT guy, to doubt that they are high performing products? What are you or me going to figure out looking at some spinoramas or polar plots that Dennis Erskine or Anthony Grimani didn't?

At a certain point, it's safe to accept even without a personal audition that Triads are superb performing, robust and reliable designs that do what they claim to.

I started collecting used Triad, "sight unheard", simply because of this reputation they've established. I have never heard anyone who owns them be displeased with their performance. Zero regrets. Sometimes people overthink this stuff.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10412 of 10519 Old 05-17-2020, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
With respect, I know it's frustrating to be an enthusiast and not see all the data you want.... but remember that Triad is trusted by nearly every top custom installer in the world. Not just average joe local installers, but the famous guys like Dennis Erskine, Anthony Grimani, Shawn Byrne who are building world-class theaters that win CEDIA awards. And, also, not only are these big names, they are also HT acoustics experts and thought leaders who don't just slap a product into a room and call it a day, these are the guys doing custom acoustic designs by making calculations based on what they know about speaker directivity / off-axis response. They would NOT use Triad speakers if they didn't have great measurements, i.e. consistent, predictable performance with low distortion and excellent off-axis response.

And Dolby trusts them to test and develop new technology, they used Triad speakers to demo Atmos when it first came out in 2014 and last CEDIA they chose Triad for their super high channel count Trinnov demo room which won awards.

My feeling is that is that if ALL of these top pros trust Triad in their flagship theater designs, what possible reason is there for you or me, amateur HT guy, to doubt that they are high performing products? What are you or me going to figure out looking at some spinoramas or polar plots that Dennis Erskine or Anthony Grimani didn't?

At a certain point, it's safe to accept even without a personal audition that Triads are superb performing, robust and reliable designs that do what they claim to.

I started collecting used Triad, "sight unheard", simply because of this reputation they've established. I have never heard anyone who owns them be displeased with their performance. Zero regrets. Sometimes people overthink this stuff.

You make good points but still nothing beats seeing the data yourself and being able to compare them with other speakers like how much better is the bronze vs xxx speaker? How much better is gold LCR vs sliver LCR? They are probably better but by how much and is it worth the price deference? I can’t know for my self, all I can see is subjective talk which is good but not as good as objective measurements.

Maybe I should just get them used and if I didn’t like them i would just sell them for the same price.
post #10413 of 10519 Old 05-18-2020, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
I have never heard anyone who owns them be displeased with their performance. Zero regrets. Sometimes people overthink this stuff.
I actually had Chris Seymour in my room shortly before the lockdown. He’s spent plenty of time watching content in there, but I had just swapped out for the Triads. His quote while sitting down “I’ve never heard a Triad I didn’t like”.

It’s true.

I don’t watch pixels. I watch movies. I don’t listen to bits and specs, I listen to music and movies.

If Triad released the specs you’re asking for and they were subpar, abnormal, or not what you’re expecting to see, would it change the fact that the speakers themselves just flat out sound amazing?
rboster, Dawn Gordon, BIC2 and 1 others like this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10414 of 10519 Old 05-18-2020, 05:56 AM

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked: 2771
Quote:

Well stated.

I spoke at length with Shawn Byrne of Quest Acoustics about speakers for my home. Shawn produced a design for the next phase in my HT (doing DIY for phase 1-long story involving basement water issues ) I've also hired him to do the eventual calibration. I was buying the equipment on my own. Shawn wasn't benefiting from any speaker purchases.

Shawn obviously designs home systems that are much higher end than I would want to invest in and he's been doing it for decades. Shawn's is a fan of Triad speakers. He had other alternatives, but Triad's price and performance were his first choice for my set up. Let's face it, when you recommend a product, you are putting your reputation on the line as well. You don't get Shawn's reputation by recommending average sounding products. I couldn't be happier with my purchase (and Shawn's guidance).
BIC2 likes this.

FS: RUIPRO 8K Fiber DisplayPort Cable 33 feet : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-a...d-support.html

Last edited by rboster; 05-18-2020 at 08:15 AM. Reason: typo
post #10415 of 10519 Old 05-18-2020, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Exclamation

Quote:

batpig,

I 100% totally enjoyed your post above ^^^

I have nothing to add that would be anymore useful than what you have said and pointed-out other than my comments below buddy !!!

If I didn't trust Triad I sure wouldn't have gone in the direction I did see below Links to Multiple Posts as some examples.

Thanks for your Post ...........

If you want to see why I made the Final-Decision to go with Triad check-out the posts below and the on-going, never-ending "Support" from Steve Colburn, Jim Laughlin as well as my guy Charles owner of "Wolf-Hill-Technologies" in Nashville, TN.

I will be 75-years old June 7th and when I say I have been around the block that's an understatement for sure.
And I have dealt with literally thousands of companies over those years.
That includes the Owners, and those those Executives as well as Managers under the owners.
(And I have been "SCREWED" by the best guys so I have Paid for my knowledge in spades)

I have never-ever had the Support that has come from Triad ever !!!

I have thought to post something like this before on this Dedicated Triad Thread but then gave it further consideration/thought and decided not to waste the Time & Effort.

Seems to me that even though this is AVS and some members do have the higher-end gear but when it comes to Triad ..........
Let me say I have had so many {Truly-Negative-Comments/Posts} it actually has SHOCKED me !!!
I would have actually thought guys would have jumped on board with me and said something positive about me going with Triad and putting my TRUST in Steve Colburn, Jim Laughlin and of course Charles that we have 10-15 years History with one another.

That has not been the case UN-Fortunately !!!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post59114246

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post59352882

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post59277546

To see the Comments from Steve Colburn & Charles Dyck roll the post down.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post59305554

Thanks again for your post Sir,
Terry Honaker
A7mad78 likes this.
post #10416 of 10519 Old 05-18-2020, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Quote:

batpig,

I 100% totally enjoyed your post above ^^^

I have nothing to add that would be anymore useful than what you have said and pointed-out other than my comments below buddy !!!

If I didn't trust Triad I sure wouldn't have gone in the direction I did see below Links to Multiple Posts as some examples.

Thanks for your Post ...........

If you want to see why I made the Final-Decision to go with Triad check-out the posts below and the on-going, never-ending "Support" from Steve Colburn, Jim Laughlin as well as my guy Charles owner of "Wolf-Hill-Technologies" in Nashville, TN.

I will be 75-years old June 7th and when I say I have been around the block that's an understatement for sure.
And I have dealt with literally thousands of companies over those years.
That includes the Owners, and those those Executives as well as Managers under the owners.
(And I have been "SCREWED" by the best guys so I have Paid for my knowledge in spades)

I have never-ever had the Support that has come from Triad ever !!!

I have thought to post something like this before on this Dedicated Triad Thread but then gave it further consideration/thought and decided not to waste the Time & Effort.

Seems to me that even though this is AVS and some members do have the higher-end gear but when it comes to Triad ..........
Let me say I have had so many {Truly-Negative-Comments/Posts} it actually has SHOCKED me !!!
I would have actually thought guys would have jumped on board with me and said something positive about me going with Triad and putting my TRUST in Steve Colburn, Jim Laughlin and of course Charles that we have 10-15 years History with one another.

That has not been the case UN-Fortunately !!!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post59114246

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post59352882

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post59277546

To see the Comments from Steve Colburn & Charles Dyck roll the post down.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post59305554

Thanks again for your post Sir,
Terry Honaker
People have opinions.
If you ask you will get them.
Seems like people were judging you harshly for a particular upgrade and choice of spend versus a whole cohesive Triad system?
Anyways who cares? You made the money you spend it! I bet your super happy with how it sounds.
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #10417 of 10519 Old 05-19-2020, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 382
I'm posting on behalf of a client in the Denver area.

Is there anyone here who owns Triad Gold LCRs who would be willing to audition them?

[email protected].com
post #10418 of 10519 Old 05-19-2020, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsred10 View Post
People have opinions.
If you ask you will get them.
Seems like people were judging you harshly for a particular upgrade and choice of spend versus a whole cohesive Triad system?
Anyways who cares? You made the money you spend it! I bet your super happy with how it sounds.
Jrsred10,

Actually the Atmos system will be installed along with other Up-Grades come the middle of June 2020, next-month.

Click on link below,

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post59645412

Terry
post #10419 of 10519 Old 05-19-2020, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1679 Post(s)
Liked: 2001
Quote:

"doveryai no proveryai" Russian Proverb,
"Trust but Verify!"

It's not that I mistrust Triad. It's that I don't have enough data to make an informed decision about their speakers. When I was looking at speakers for Atmos, I looked at EVERY Triad in-ceiling speaker. The theoretically "ideal" speaker would have been the In-Ceiling Silver/6 Monitors because they "match" my surrounds, and they use the same midrange drivers and tweeters as my Platinums. Technically, they could be considered a perfect "timbre-match" for my Silver Monitor surrounds and Platinum LCR's. However, look at the speaker:

It's an MTM design. Ceiling mounting it requires a "horizontal" alignment. It can either be mounted along the long axis of the room, firing towards the back wall, or along the short axis, firing across the room. Here is the "typical" high frequency dispersion pattern of an MTM speaker:

In the high frequency range, and,without any kind of waveguide or dispersion lens, we "know" that the tweeter will beam the high frequencies straight forward. Therefore the listener sitting off-axis will be listening well outside the the optimal HF dispersion pattern. IOW, the high frequencies will be at a much lower level off-axis than on-axis. I have aimed all my other Triad speakers so I am listening directly on-axis to all of them, greatly reducing the impact of the off-axis response. In addition, my acoustic treatments further reduce the impact of the early reflections. To add a set of MTM's that I am forced to listen to off-axis, just didn't make sense.

More importantly, here is the typical "lobing" pattern of an MTM design:

In an Atmos Overhead position, the speaker is, by definition, in an off-axis position and the listener is forced to listen to the off-axis response in the zone that is labeled, "Cancellation Axis." The only way to correct this is to rotate the speaker so it is "aimed" at the LP, which is not possible with the In-Ceiling Silver/6 Monitor. So, now we have a horizontal MTM in a decidedly off-axis position. We *know* that this is will cause the listener to be in the lobing/cancellation portion of the dispersion pattern.

Add the fact that the drivers are mounted at a 45 degree angle with a side wall baffle. That surface can "block" the lateral dispersion, causing diffraction anomalies. Who knows what acoustic issues that will cause? Sure, it has some acoustic absorption, but it only looks to be about 1/2" thick, so it will only absorb the high frequencies... which will again change the off-axis timbre of the speaker.

Bottom line, I could spend over $2k per speaker on a speaker that is *theoretically* a perfect timbre-match for my other speakers... that Triad advised me would be the best speaker to use with my other speakers... and end up with a speaker that is decidedly NOT a timbre-match for my mains. Unfortunately, they couldn't provide me with measurments to back up that claim. Without on- and off-axis dispersion measurements, I had no idea how well it would work. And, unless Triad had some secret sauce that allowed them to defy the laws of physics and wave propagation, I'm virtually certain I would not get the ideal timbre-match I was after. I refused to spend that kind of money for something I couldn't verify would provide the response I wanted.

So, instead of using a "theoretically" timbre-matched speaker in a highly compromised position, I elected to use an AIMABLE non-Triad speaker, but one that I had actually HEARD in two systems that use the same Platinum speakers I have. @audioguy @BrolicBeast Therefore, I knew how well timbre-matched they are to my other speakers and how well they could be aimed to provide optimal on-axis response:

In addition, RSL actually provides horizontal and vertical dispersion measurements: https://rslspeakers.com/products/c34...iling-speaker/
The vertical dispersion is not perfect, but, since I *KNOW* that, I can ensure I'm not listening to the vertical off-axis response! (I *might* have been able to do something to accommodate the Triads IF I had at least *known* the dispersion patterns of the speakers.)

I didn't like the fact that the speakers were unenclosed, so I built my own backboxes for them. I built them so they drop perfectly into my ceiling gridwork, and they have exactly the RSL prescribed internal volume:

The results I achieved are stellar, and I did it for less than 1/4 the cost of the "matching" Triads.

Others are welcome to spend massive amounts of money on speakers they've never heard, and have no idea how they measure, based solely on the trust they place in the "advice" of sales reps. I hope they don't get a response that is very highly compromised, but I have my doubts. Me??? I'll only extend my trust so far, and I'll verify whenever I can. If Triad won't provide the information I need to verify, I'll move on. For Atmos speakers, I already have.

Craig
Dan Hitchman and bogaboga like this.

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
My System (Edited Feb. 2020 to add 4K and Atmos updates)

Last edited by craig john; 05-19-2020 at 08:08 AM.
post #10420 of 10519 Old 05-19-2020, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked: 4878
^^ What he said.

And I would specifically echo this comment:

Quote:
Others are welcome to spend massive amounts of money on speakers they've never heard, and have no idea how they measure, based solely on the trust they place in the "advice" of sales reps. I hope they don't get a response that is very highly compromised, but I have my doubts.
And for the one making that choice, they will NEVER know that "they got what they paid for". It will just be what it is. It must be called "Trust but can't verify".

But I'm doing this:

BrolicBeast and bogaboga like this.
post #10421 of 10519 Old 05-19-2020, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 5034 Post(s)
Liked: 3047
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
So, instead of using a "theoretically" timbre-matched speaker in a highly compromised position, I elected to use an AIMABLE non-Triad speaker, but one that I had actually HEARD in two systems that use the same Platinum speakers I have. @audioguy @BrolicBeast Therefore, I knew how well timbre-matched they are to my other speakers and how well they could be aimed to provide optimal on-axis response:

In addition, RSL actually provides horizontal and vertical dispersion measurements: https://rslspeakers.com/products/c34...iling-speaker/
The vertical dispersion is not perfect, but, since I *KNOW* that, I can ensure I'm not listening to the vertical off-axis response! (I *might* have been able to do something to accommodate the Triads IF I had at least *known* the dispersion patterns of the speakers.)

I didn't like the fact that the speakers were unenclosed, so I built my own backboxes for them. I built them so they drop perfectly into my ceiling gridwork, and they have exactly the RSL prescribed internal volume:

The results I achieved are stellar, and I did it for less than 1/4 the cost of the "matching" Triads.

Hey Craig, I bought those exact RSL speakers for overheads. Would you mind PM'ing me about the backer boxes you made, so we don't clutter up the Triad thread? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #10422 of 10519 Old 05-19-2020, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 156
I got a deal for used Triad platinum cinema plus LCR and I want to ask if it temper match with my surround and heights which is Omni Gold SE in wall and in celling the deal is great and if it’s work with my gold setup I can replace my Gold LCR with them

In the chart they are not match as I see but love to know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10423 of 10519 Old 05-19-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7mad78 View Post
I got a deal for used Triad platinum cinema plus LCR and I want to ask if it timbre matches with my surround and heights which is Omni Gold SE in wall and in celling the deal is great and if it’s work with my gold setup I can replace my Gold LCR with them

Hmmm... I would find a way to integrate at least two of the Gold LCR's into something like Front Wide speaker duty. The awesome BrolicBeast theater mixed Triad CinemaPlus Platinums with Gold LCR's (and the Omni Gold SE is just a smaller member of that Gold model line) and they mixed together just fine. Any slight timbre variance between Golds and Platinums can be ironed out with EQ calibration. It's not a huge sonic difference compared to some speaker manufacturers and their various lines.

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 05-19-2020 at 02:32 PM.
post #10424 of 10519 Old 05-19-2020, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are you talking about Cinema Reference or Platinum?

The Plats are compatible with the Silver Monitors for Surround. The Cinema Reference is compatible with the Cinema Reference Surround speakers.

Your Atmos speakers could be ok depending on the ceiling height and room size.

[email protected]
post #10425 of 10519 Old 05-19-2020, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
Are you talking about Cinema Reference or Platinum?

The Plats are compatible with the Silver Monitors for Surround. The Cinema Reference is compatible with the Cinema Reference Surround speakers.

Your Atmos speakers could be ok depending on the ceiling height and room size.

Platinum

post #10426 of 10519 Old 05-19-2020, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Hmmm... I would find a way to integrate at least two of the Gold LCR's into something like Front Wide speaker duty. The awesome BrolicBeast theater mixed Triad CinemaPlus Platinums with Gold LCR's (and the Omni Gold SE is just a smaller member of that Gold model line) and they mixed together just fine. Any slight timbre variance between Golds and Platinums can be ironed out with EQ calibration. It's not a huge sonic difference compared to some speaker manufacturers and their various lines.

The problem they are not in wall that’s big mistake i made

post #10427 of 10519 Old 05-19-2020, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

The good thing the price are great and they where used in showroom that close now they are 2012 model but i know them use rare and they are in good condition i don’t want to mass my theater but love to take advice if they will match I can add the baffle wall from Triad if I remember they sell and no much cash to change all my speakers so I thought maybe this will be great upgrade to my already great sounded gold speaker i have

post #10428 of 10519 Old 05-19-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
The problem they are not in wall that’s big mistake i made

It's actually fine because Front Wides need to be towed in toward the MLP. You either need angled in-walls or in-rooms for that. You can always make special angled platforms for the Gold LCR's to help integrate them into the theater.
A7mad78 likes this.

post #10429 of 10519 Old 05-19-2020, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I got a deal for used Triad platinum cinema plus LCR and I want to ask if it temper match with my surround and heights which is Omni Gold SE in wall and in celling the deal is great and if it’s work with my gold setup I can replace my Gold LCR with them

The Plat's are so good that, if you can get a great deal on them, you should get them. Worry about the timbre-match with surrounds later. IMO.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
post #10430 of 10519 Old 05-19-2020, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Craig is right. Save up for timbre-matching later. If the Plats are in good shape and you are getting a great price, then just buy them. I would set them up immediately upon receiving them and make sure that the drivers are working properly.
A7mad78 likes this.

[email protected]
post #10431 of 10519 Old 05-19-2020, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Thx folks for the advice

Will look on them and see later to add sliver mini monitor for the surround and keep the gold SE for the atmos

Thx to all

post #10432 of 10519 Old 05-20-2020, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Others are welcome to spend massive amounts of money on speakers they've never heard, and have no idea how they measure, based solely on the trust they place in the "advice" of sales reps. I hope they don't get a response that is very highly compromised, but I have my doubts. Me??? I'll only extend my trust so far, and I'll verify whenever I can. If Triad won't provide the information I need to verify, I'll move on. For Atmos speakers, I already have.

Craig
First of all, I appreciate your position and the amount of thought, research and effort you've put into making your system the best it could possibly be (of course your contributions to AVS, as well).

I do take offense with the labeling of acoustic design members as "sales reps". Shawn Byrne of Quest Acoustics is a not a sales rep.. I think it dismisses their talents, expertise and frankly the ethics within that role with the "sale rep" label. This is coming from a wholesaler (of petroleum products).

FS: RUIPRO 8K Fiber DisplayPort Cable 33 feet : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-a...d-support.html
post #10433 of 10519 Old 05-20-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
First of all, I appreciate your position and the amount of thought, research and effort you've put into making your system the best it could possibly be (of course your contributions to AVS, as well).

I do take offense with the labeling of acoustic design members as "sales reps". Shawn Byrne of Quest Acoustics is a not a sales rep.. I think it dismisses their talents, expertise and frankly the ethics within that role with the "sale rep" label. This is coming from a wholesaler (of petroleum products).

I'm not Craig but I am quite confident he was not referring to Shawn or anyone like him. If you will go back and read some of his earlier posts on this matter, I think it will be very clear who he was referring to. And, FWIW, I totally agree with his original post on this matter.

Last edited by audioguy; 05-20-2020 at 06:06 AM.
post #10434 of 10519 Old 05-20-2020, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I'm not Craig but I am quite confident he was not referring to Shawn or anyone like him. If you will go back and read some of his earlier posts on this matter, I think it will be very clear who he was referring to. And, FWIW, I totally agree with his original post on this matter.
I assumed as much, but (IMHO) by using dismissive labels like "sales reps" it weakens the overall point Craig was making.

Two last points (and I'll shut up): 1) Craig has more knowledge on the subject than I can ever hope to have. That's why ppl like me hire ppl like Shawn to help bridge that gap. Anytime we put the trust in another person, it's a leap of faith. Shawn's built a reputation that made it an easy decision for me to put my trust in his expertise (and therefore recommendations). 2) Sales reps having feelings too.

Carry on and thanks for reading my post

Ron

post #10435 of 10519 Old 05-20-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I assumed as much, but (IMHO) by using dismissive labels like "sales reps" it weakens the overall point Craig was making.

Two last points (and I'll shut up): 1) Craig has more knowledge on the subject than I can ever hope to have. That's why ppl like me hire ppl like Shawn to help bridge that gap. Anytime we put the trust in another person, it's a leap of faith. Shawn's built a reputation that made it an easy decision for me to put my trust in his expertise (and therefore recommendations). 2) Sales reps having feelings too.

Carry on and thanks for reading my post

Ron
First of all, I have never viewed Shawn as a "sales rep". Nothing close to it. And if I were in the market for someone to design a theater, he would be the first person I would call. His reputation as a "theater designer" (not a sales rep) is outstanding. And FWIW, I spent the vast majority of my career in sales. But none of my clients would have ever considered me a "sales rep".

But the person to whom Craig was referring, forgetting about his official title, did a massive disservice to someone. It is the individual (or individuals), not the title, at issue here.
post #10436 of 10519 Old 05-20-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
First of all, I have never viewed Shawn as a "sales rep". Nothing close to it. And if I were in the market for someone to design a theater, he would be the first person I would call. His reputation as a "theater designer" (not a sales rep) is outstanding. And FWIW, I spent the vast majority of my career in sales. But none of my clients would have ever considered me a "sales rep".

But the person to whom Craig was referring, forgetting about his official title, did a massive disservice to someone. It is the individual (or individuals), not the title, at issue here.
None of my comments were directed at you. I was ONLY referring to Craig's use of "sales rep" period, end of sentence. Even then, I "assumed" he wouldn't be talking about Quest Acoustics (Craig's a smart guy), but thought his use of "sales reps" was a little off putting (my opinion).

I never thought my post would generate the need to explain myself in two more posts. My apologies.

post #10437 of 10519 Old 05-20-2020, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
None of my comments were directed at you. I was ONLY referring to Craig's use of "sales rep" period, end of sentence. Even then, I "assumed" he wouldn't be talking about Quest Acoustics (Craig's a smart guy), but thought his use of "sales reps" was a little off putting (my opinion).

I never thought my post would generate the need to explain myself in two more posts. My apologies.
I apologize if I gave the impression I was referring to Dennis Erskine, Anthony Grimani or Shawn Bryne as "sales rep's". It was not my intention to do so, but I can certainly see how my comment, as structured, could be interpreted that way. It is important to use language precisely in order to communicative ones thoughts accurately, and in this case, I did not do so. Again I apologize.

However, I do not wish to change the rest of the context of that comment. The "sales rep's" I refered to were just that.

Craig
rboster and A7mad78 like this.

Lombardi said it:
post #10438 of 10519 Old 05-20-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I apologize if I gave the impression I was referring to Dennis Erskine, Anthony Grimani or Shawn Bryne as "sales rep's". It was not my intention to do so, but I can certainly see how my comment, as structured, could be interpreted that way. It is important to use language precisely in order to communicative ones thoughts accurately, and in this case, I did not do so. Again I apologize.

However, I do not wish to change the rest of the context of that comment. The "sales rep's" I refered to were just that.

Craig
Craig no problem whatsoever. I really appreciate your level of knowledge and sharing it with the AVS community. Keep on, keeping on.

Ron
Dawn Gordon and A7mad78 like this.

post #10439 of 10519 Old 05-20-2020, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Silver LCR or Silver Monitor

Hi everyone. Moving into a new home and setting up a media room. Due to room set up, I need to go with in-wall speakers. I'm looking to use either the Silver LCR (with the inceling as a center channel) or the Silver Monitor (also the silver in-ceiling as the center channel). I would be using the system 90% for movies/tv. Which speaker would be better? The LCR is less sensitive with a frequency response down to 75hz but larger mid-range drivers. It seems the monitor is the better speaker, just not sure for home theater use. Any advice is really appreciated, especially since I won't have a chance to hear them before buying them.
post #10440 of 10519 Old 05-20-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaf44 View Post
Hi everyone. Moving into a new home and setting up a media room. Due to room set up, I need to go with in-wall speakers. I'm looking to use either the Silver LCR (with the in-ceiling as a center channel) or the Silver Monitor (also the silver in-ceiling as the center channel). I would be using the system 90% for movies/tv. Which speaker would be better? The LCR is less sensitive with a frequency response down to 75hz but larger mid-range drivers. It seems the monitor is the better speaker, just not sure for home theater use. Any advice is really appreciated, especially since I won't have a chance to hear them before buying them.

I think one of the questions on everyone's mind probably is: any particular reason why the center has to be an in-ceiling? It is definitely not ideal in the least. There may be room design alternatives that will give you a better A/V performance you might not have thought of.

Another question: is this the primary media room for the house or will you be setting up a dedicated space for more critical system integration at another time?

We need more particulars like room dimensions, seating distances from the screen and speakers, obstacles, etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page