Triad Owner's Thread - Page 349 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1286Likes

post #10441 of 10521 Old 05-20-2020, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3039 Post(s)
Liked: 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaf44 View Post
Hi everyone. Moving into a new home and setting up a media room. Due to room set up, I need to go with in-wall speakers. I'm looking to use either the Silver LCR (with the inceling as a center channel) or the Silver Monitor (also the silver in-ceiling as the center channel). I would be using the system 90% for movies/tv. Which speaker would be better? The LCR is less sensitive with a frequency response down to 75hz but larger mid-range drivers. It seems the monitor is the better speaker, just not sure for home theater use. Any advice is really appreciated, especially since I won't have a chance to hear them before buying them.
What Dan says is true.

If you are within a short enough seating distance, such that their output is adequate with the amp you have selected — which is a math problem — and you have the money for them — another math problem — then the silver monitor is a more accurate or transparent speaker. Assuming you want the most realistic reproduction of soundtracks, and it meets the math requirements, it is hard to go wrong with the monitors.

The LCR are great, and when given the wattage, can play louder.

Both perform better when mated with a set of subs.

My current setup.
Recommended podcasts: The Next Picture Show, the /filmcast, AV Rant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10442 of 10521 Old 05-21-2020, 03:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 5777 Post(s)
Liked: 4882
Quote:
Hi everyone. Moving into a new home and setting up a media room. Due to room set up, I need to go with in-wall speakers. I'm looking to use either the Silver LCR (with the inceling as a center channel) or the Silver Monitor (also the silver in-ceiling as the center channel). I would be using the system 90% for movies/tv. Which speaker would be better? The LCR is less sensitive with a frequency response down to 75hz but larger mid-range drivers. It seems the monitor is the better speaker, just not sure for home theater use. Any advice is really appreciated, especially since I won't have a chance to hear them before buying them.

You really DO NOT want to have your left and right speaker beside the TV and the center on the ceiling. Hopefully you could raise your TV by a few more inches and put a horizontal speaker under it. Or some other solution. I think you will find the center on the ceiling to be very distracting.
Dan Hitchman and nathan_h like this.
post #10443 of 10521 Old 05-21-2020, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Dan is correct. We are going to need some more info.

Room size (WDH), seating distance from the front LCRs, sides and rear speakers.

Typically, we specify the Monitors to clients who are also interested in music listening. If you are 90% movies, I would recommend the Silver LCRs over the Monitors.

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10444 of 10521 Old 05-21-2020, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
What Dan says is true.

If you are within a short enough seating distance, such that their output is adequate with the amp you have selected — which is a math problem — and you have the money for them — another math problem — then the silver monitor is a more accurate or transparent speaker. Assuming you want the most realistic reproduction of soundtracks, and it meets the math requirements, it is hard to go wrong with the monitors.

The LCR are great, and when given the wattage, can play louder.

Both perform better when mated with a set of subs.
Thanks for the responses! Let me answer some of the questions. Dan, the reason for I was thinking of an in-ceiling speaker is that my ceiling height is only 92 inches (7.66 feet). I was planning on using a 110 inch projector scree (which is 55.1250 inches tall) with the LG HU85LA ultra short throw projector. The projector, according to specs needs to sit 9.1 inches from the bottom of the screen, making it tough to squeeze an in-wall center between the screen and the projector, unless I can have a good one that is less than 9 inches wide. The top of the projector screen will only be approximately 3 inches from the ceiling, putting it close to the speaker.

This will be my main media room in the basement, with no other "dedicated" home theater in the house.

Nathan, I will be pairing them with dual SVS SB-13 ultra subs or possibly a JL Audio F212. The room is fairly large, probably 2,000 square feet (its just a big open basement). I'll be sitting about 14-15 feet from the screen with just standard sectional couch set up.

I have seen that Leon Speakers makes a HzUltima sound bar that can act as a designated center, and then pair it with Leon Profile Ultima left and right's. I currently own an in-room Triad Gold LCR set up, but it just won't work in the space I need at the new house. But I've loved them, and would like to stick with Triad if i can.

Dawn, I have not selected the sides and rear speakers yet. I'd likely stick with Silver everything though.
post #10445 of 10521 Old 05-21-2020, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 5038 Post(s)
Liked: 3053
Quote:
Thanks for the responses! Let me answer some of the questions. Dan, the reason for I was thinking of an in-ceiling speaker is that my ceiling height is only 92 inches (7.66 feet). I was planning on using a 110 inch projector scree (which is 55.1250 inches tall) with the LG HU85LA ultra short throw projector. The projector, according to specs needs to sit 9.1 inches from the bottom of the screen, making it tough to squeeze an in-wall center between the screen and the projector, unless I can have a good one that is less than 9 inches wide. The top of the projector screen will only be approximately 3 inches from the ceiling, putting it close to the speaker.

This will be my main media room in the basement, with no other "dedicated" home theater in the house.

Nathan, I will be pairing them with dual SVS SB-13 ultra subs or possibly a JL Audio F212. The room is fairly large, probably 2,000 square feet (its just a big open basement). I'll be sitting about 14-15 feet from the screen with just standard sectional couch set up.

I have seen that Leon Speakers makes a HzUltima sound bar that can act as a designated center, and then pair it with Leon Profile Ultima left and right's. I currently own an in-room Triad Gold LCR set up, but it just won't work in the space I need at the new house. But I've loved them, and would like to stick with Triad if i can.

Dawn, I have not selected the sides and rear speakers yet. I'd likely stick with Silver everything though.

I'm going to recommend that you get an acoustically transparent 4k fixed screen. There are many that are now formulated for ultra short throw projectors. You can then use offsets for the screen frame on the wall, giving you a few extra inches between the back of the screen and the surface of any in-wall speaker. You can also then place proper acoustical absorptive treatment panels behind the screen. Place the tweeters at approximately center line of the screen and position all three matching vertically oriented fronts at the same height to lock the sound to the picture just like a commercial theater.

The other option, given that you have a fairly large open basement and some room to maneuver, is to build a false screen wall and place your current Triad Gold LCR's behind the AT screen material or center behind the screen and the left and right behind flanking acoustic fabric panels (if the left/center/right spacing needs to be wider). A false wall need not be overly complicated in terms of construction and can be erected with minimal DIY know-how. Look at the minimalist approach to screen wall build thread. If you have some construction knowledge, you can also build what is called a THX baffle wall using the same Gold LCR in-room's. Why downgrade if you don't have to?

Then offset the cost savings of not replacing your front speakers by getting matching Triad, built-in angled in-ceiling overheads for a Dolby Atmos / DTS: X immersive system along with the in-wall surrounds (if you don't happen to have Triad surrounds at the moment for proper timbre matching). If you're more ambitious, have the funds, and have the proper room width, you can also add matching Triad angled in-ceiling's and use them as Front Wide speakers in the walls as well.

If you would like a more immersive image, I think you could probably get away with a larger screen at your seating distance and potentially do away with the LG and get something like a JVC DILA 4k projector unless there is some particular reason you need an ultra short throw unit.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 05-21-2020 at 02:12 PM.
post #10446 of 10521 Old 05-21-2020, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dan, what company makes an AT ultra short throw screen? That would solve all my issues! I’ve called Screen Innovation, Elite Screens, and Stewart screens and they all say they do not have AT screens for ultra short throw. More partucallty they say they done have ALR screens that are AT.
post #10447 of 10521 Old 05-21-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Dan, what company makes an AT ultra short throw screen? That would solve all my issues! I’ve called Screen Innovation, Elite Screens, and Stewart screens and they all say they do not have AT screens for ultra short throw. More particularity they say they don't have ALR screens that are AT.

I was reading through and it looks like the LG is one of those right up next to the screen types of projectors. For some reason I was originally thinking of those with short projection throw ratios (I guess I didn't eat my Wheaties this morning!), so units like the LG need a special screen material.

Therefore, I now S T R O N G L Y recommend switching over to a standard throw 4k projector in order to preserve the best audio performance possible and use a 4k ready acoustically transparent screen. There are newer AT materials that have a somewhat higher gain than before if deemed necessary. There are far too many compromises made necessary with these UST types of projectors and given this is your primary theater system, this makes it important that you have a great balance of audio and video quality.

The latest JVC 4k projectors have amazing black levels and color reproduction and include native 4k panels, which I saw at CEDIA last year. They also come with powered zoom lenses and lens memory, so you could potentially go with a scope ratio screen and eliminate the visible black bars on scope movies.

This would also allow you to use your current Gold LCR's up front.

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 05-21-2020 at 07:50 PM.
post #10448 of 10521 Old 05-21-2020, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm gonna agree with Dan. It sounds like you have a fair bit of space to work with, so building a simple false wall, using an acoustically transparent screen with a traditional projector, and placing your existing triad LCR behind the screen is a winning combination. In fact, that's what I did, in a space with similar ceiling height.

Is there a special reason you are choosing a ultra short throw projector? It costs more and looks worse than a traditional projector. They are very useful in living room setups where having a traditional projector on the ceiling is not workable. But they are a big compromise when not necessary.

Anyway, we are getting far afield of the Triad topic. Might be worth starting a build thread in the proper area of AVS to share more about your room, needs, current gear and plans, and solicit ideas, as well. Seems like you have a great space, some excellent gear already, and could really make it special.
Dan Hitchman, rboster and A7mad78 like this.

My current setup.
post #10449 of 10521 Old 05-22-2020, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 26
How does the bronze LCR compare to the sliver LCR? and the sliver LCR to the gold LCR ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10450 of 10521 Old 05-22-2020, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 5217 Post(s)
Liked: 6027
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogaboga View Post
How does the bronze LCR compare to the sliver LCR? and the sliver LCR to the gold LCR ?
Bronze = loud
Silver = louder
Gold = loudest

It's all about how much output you need, which is a function of room size / listening distance / target volume.
nathan_h, Dawn Gordon and RagtopFE like this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #10451 of 10521 Old 05-22-2020, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 5777 Post(s)
Liked: 4882
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Bronze = loud
Silver = louder
Gold = loudest

It's all about how much output you need, which is a function of room size / listening distance / target volume.

And spouse's tolerance !!
Dawn Gordon and tigerhonaker like this.
post #10452 of 10521 Old 05-22-2020, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

And better bass!

[email protected]
post #10453 of 10521 Old 05-22-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Bronze = loud
Silver = louder
Gold = loudest

So sound quality is similar? I would assume that the sound gets better but it sounds the like the difference in sound quality is that big, am I correct?

post #10454 of 10521 Old 05-22-2020, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's hard to describe. Like BP said, louder. As you get higher in the line you will also notice a more pronounced low end.

Triad designed their LCR line for theater size rather than Good, Better, Best.

[email protected]
post #10455 of 10521 Old 05-22-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
And better bass!

Oh believe me the bass wouldn’t be a problem with my setup.

post #10456 of 10521 Old 05-22-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
It's hard to describe. Like BP said, louder. As you get higher in the line you will also notice a more pronounced low end.

Good to know thanks.

post #10457 of 10521 Old 05-22-2020, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
So sound quality is similar? I would assume that the sound gets better but it sounds the like the difference in sound quality is that big, am I correct?

Quote:

As someone who has used both the GOLD LCR and the BRONZE LCR in the same room in the same layout with the same electronics (just different Audyssey equalization runs because the measurements from one to the other wouldn't translate of course) I can say:

Within their limits they are remarkably similar in transparency and impact. But in a bigger space, at a longer seating distance, etc etc, you'll run up against the limits of each level (Bronze, Silver, Gold, and more) at one point.

(Actually, there is a downside to the larger speakers if you don't need their output: They take more power. Yes, they can go louder, but it also seemed like they were less efficient. So for a given level, the GOLDS wanted more power than the BRONZE, to get to same number of decibels at my front row seating location.)

If I were starting from scratch knowing what I know, I'd probably step up one level in the Triad line ABOVE what is needed to reach reference volume at my seating location, in order to have some wiggle room, even if it meant spending more on the speakers and on the amplification.

My current setup.
post #10458 of 10521 Old 05-22-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
As someone who has used both the GOLD LCR and the BRONZE LCR in the same room in the same layout with the same electronics (just different Audyssey equalization runs because the measurements from one to the other wouldn't translate of course) I can say:

Within their limits they are remarkably similar in transparency and impact. But in a bigger space, at a longer seating distance, etc etc, you'll run up against the limits of each level (Bronze, Silver, Gold, and more) at one point.

(Actually, there is a downside to the larger speakers if you don't need their output: They take more power. Yes, they can go louder, but it also seemed like they were less efficient. So for a given level, the GOLDS wanted more power than the BRONZE, to get to same number of decibels at my front row seating location.)

If I were starting from scratch knowing what I know, I'd probably step up one level in the Triad line ABOVE what is needed to reach reference volume at my seating location, in order to have some wiggle room, even if it meant spending more on the speakers and on the amplification.

With just 60 watts the bronze reach 95db as they are [email protected] 1W/1M which is enough for me most of the time and if I need more I could just get more powerful amp which could get me around 100db which I don’t like for any longer periods of time.

post #10459 of 10521 Old 05-22-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
With just 60 watts the bronze reach 95db as they are [email protected] 1W/1M which is enough for me most of the time and if I need more I could just get more powerful amp which could get me around 100db which I don’t like for any longer periods of time.

Since I have now heard almost all of the speaker models Triad has to offer, I would IMHO go with the Silvers over the Bronze if one was considering the Bronze (unless they absolutely had no space for them in a particular situation or their budget just wasn't flexible enough). To me, they sound a bit more "open" and effortless for the lack of better terms compared to the Bronze line, and throw a slightly wider sound stage. They also bequeath to you, in my estimation, a tad more dynamic headroom to play with; more wiggle room to get a little frisky with the volume knob without strain as long as you had adequate clean amp power going to them.

post #10460 of 10521 Old 05-23-2020, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am sure this gets asked quite a bit. I am looking to upgrade my behind screen LCR’s. The Triad Gold inwall/6 is on my short list. However there seems to be a lack of a dealer finder or list anywhere on Triad’s web. The posts around the forum on this appear to be old to crazy old (like 2005)

Any help finding in locating one in the upper Midwest? (Cheese Head territory to be specific)

Thanks
post #10461 of 10521 Old 05-23-2020, 02:18 PM

Triad Speaker Dealer Locator

Apologies

I just found the link...it went/linked to Control4’s website so the google searches must have missed to for that reason
https://www.control4.com/dealer_locator
post #10462 of 10521 Old 05-23-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighModulus View Post
I am sure this gets asked quite a bit. I am looking to upgrade my behind screen LCR’️s. The Triad Gold inwall/6 is on my short list. However there seems to be a lack of a dealer finder or list anywhere on Triad’️s web. The posts around the forum on this appear to be old to crazy old (like 2005)

Any help finding in locating one in the upper Midwest? (Cheese Head territory to be specific)

Thanks
Being an owner of Triad Gold LCR's up front, I will attest to their awesomeness.

If you strike out with local dealers or custom installers, Dawn from this thread and AV Science are Triad dealers with a good reputation. I bought mine from Dawn.
rboster likes this.

post #10463 of 10521 Old 05-23-2020, 03:01 PM

Good to hear on the Gold line...one of many testimonials on the forum that have earned this speaker an automatic pass to my short list. Typically I have to audition anything in this price level. But with this much good faith advertising I’m willing to gamble.

The local dealer/installer did respond to email already. So ill try and get a listen in their showroom...depending on what this COVID B.S. has done to auditions...F-ing having to sit there with a mask and gloves on just to listen to speakers....grrrrrrr we will see.

Regards,
post #10464 of 10521 Old 05-23-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Good to hear on the Gold line...one of many testimonials on the forum that have earned this speaker an automatic pass to my short list. Typically I have to audition anything in this price level. But with this much good faith advertising I’️m willing to gamble.

The local dealer/installer did respond to email already. So ill try and get a listen in their showroom...depending on what this COVID B.S. has done to auditions...F-ing having to sit there with a mask and gloves on just to listen to speakers....grrrrrrr we will see.

Regards,
Better that than risk your health. At least your ears won't be plugged. 🙂 I personally know people who both caught the virus and also died from it. Yes, even 8 kids were inadvertantly infected by the woman who eventually succumbed because she was a school teacher.

It is serious stuff.

post #10465 of 10521 Old 05-23-2020, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Better that than risk your health. At least your ears won't be plugged. 🙂 I personally know people who both caught the virus and also died from it. Yes, even 8 kids were inadvertantly infected by the woman who eventually succumbed because she was a school teacher.

It is serious stuff.
Sorry to hear this. Yeah, being in close proximity for extended periods seems to be a serious risk these days -- if not to "you" then to the other people "you" are around.

And I agree, it's hard to imagine someone disliking the Gold LCR speakers, assuming they have enough space and amplifier power to let them open up.

That being said....

Quote:
The local dealer/installer did respond to email already. So ill try and get a listen in their showroom...
Though the Gold LCR are awesome, personal preference can impact one's impression of them, so hearing them before purchase is worthwhile, imo. Of course I didn't follow my own advice....but I bought them second hand and was able to sell them for what I paid after living with them happily for a couple years. I ended up going with Bronze since my seating distance and room were so small that they scaled perfectly for my needs. (Bonus points that their lower power needs mean my AV Receiver can drive them directly, so I was able to sell my outboard amp and spend the proceeds on additional room treatment, which was a great trade off for my situation.)

My current setup.
post #10466 of 10521 Old 05-26-2020, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Up-Date,

Both the "Install" dates and the "Audio/Video" Custom Calibration Dates are ... Set !

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post59708996

Things guys are finally coming together nicely.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 05-27-2020 at 07:09 AM.
post #10467 of 10521 Old 05-27-2020, 04:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi Guys,

Question about Triad inwall silver/4 LCR speakers. Thinking of using these in my HT. As I'm from europe and cannot really audition these speakers I'm wondering how they compare against B&W CWM7.3 inwalls.

Triad is not really known/used here in Europe so just would like to know about the SQ between Triad and B&W. Wich is the better speaker with the B&W a little more expensive.

Thanks
post #10468 of 10521 Old 05-27-2020, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Triad is a little more neutral but if you like the B&W sound then Triad may be disappointing.

My current setup.
post #10469 of 10521 Old 05-27-2020, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I understand what you try to say but it doesn’t mean that if a speaker is neutral sounding that it is then a bad speaker. I know B&W has a certain sound signature but can be that the components used in the Triad are better quality. I also know you pay a certain premium just because the name is Bowers & Wilkins.
post #10470 of 10521 Old 05-27-2020, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sure I’m just saying neither is better to all ears. And if you like B&W the Triad will be a considerable change. Not necessarily better or worse. Depends on what you prefer. What I can say is the Triad will be more neutral.

My current setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page