Totem Acoustic Owner's Thread - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 186Likes

post #1741 of 1745 Old 05-15-2019, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Kin Mini Flex Unboxing

Hi,
Yesterday I received two Kin Mini Flex speakers that I will be trying out as Height speakers. There doesn't appear to be really anything on here about them (unless the search function failed me, I haven't been all the way through this thread) so I decided I might post some photos of one of them. These speakers are sold separately, so one to a box. I tore into the first one like a four-year-old at Christmas, but thought to take some pics as I opened the second one.
The first pic is of the various items that are on the top of the box as it is opened. They are the instructions and templates for various mounting applications or applying the feet. Unlike most Totem speakers these come with a grill that is in a box nestled into the top Styrofoam, which can be seen in the second pic. The third has the grill box removed revealing the various hardware. The fourth is of the speaker in the box with the top Styrofoam removed. The speaker is wrapped in that soft Styrofoam material all electronics seem to come wrapped in these days. Over that is a plastic bag taped shut. When I removed the plastic bag from the first one I felt my fingers and thumbs pushing into the drivers as I undid the tape and unwrapped it. No harm done, but something to watch for.
The fifth pic is of the various mounting hardware and feet that come with the speaker.
The sixth pic is of the speaker unwrapped and in a horizontal position, much as is traditionally used for a centre speaker. The Mini Flex is deeper on one side then the other, the deeper side has the Totem logo in the middle of it. It can be placed at any angle, in this case with the logo (deeper) side down causing the drivers to point up a little.
The seventh pic is of the Mini Flex in a vertical position, as one often sees the front main speakers. This one is placed in what I'm assuming would be proper for the front left speaker, with the logo to the left causing slight toe-in of the drivers even if placed flat, such as if mounted on the front wall.
The eight pic is of the back of the Mini Flex where one can see the four gold plated binding posts and jumpers. The ninth photo is also of the rear, but with the plugs covering the two threaded holes for mounting removed.
The final pic is of the front of the Mini Flex with the magnetic grill attached.
I currently have the speakers hooked-up an old Marantz integrated amp in my second zone, which is in an old unfinished basement. An excellent amp, but a challenging environment with no room correction. I haven't listened to a whole album, but heard several tracks from several albums from a variety genres as I spent time in my second zone and main zone. No way to give any fair assessment in that context, especially as I was going back-and-forth from my full range, room corrected HT and the second zone, but a few things are clear. They are quite detailed and responsive, and I would not care to use them without a sub-woofer in a home stereo/surround system. They also seem not as smooth on the higher frequencies as I had hoped from a fabric tweet, but, hopefully that won't be an issue when actually in the HT,especially with room correction.
I'm hoping to get this integrated into my HT ASAP (today) as I'm hoping to determine if they integrate well in hopes of getting another two for Rear Heights right away (looking to be back working soon which takes me away from home and no local dealer, so I have to order them from Totem). However, I'm hoping to get a chance to try them out on their own with a sub, with room correction applied, this coming week. May not have time for that, though.
Morgan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01 Mini Flex Templates, Instructions.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	486.7 KB
ID:	2567180   Click image for larger version

Name:	02 Mini Flex Just Open.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	784.1 KB
ID:	2567182   Click image for larger version

Name:	03 Mini Flex Grill Box Removed.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	660.2 KB
ID:	2567184   Click image for larger version

Name:	04 Mini Flex Top Styrofoam Removed.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	762.8 KB
ID:	2567186   Click image for larger version

Name:	05 Mini Flex Mounting Hardware and Feet.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	779.3 KB
ID:	2567188  

Click image for larger version

Name:	06 Mini Flex Horizontal.jpg
Size:	702.9 KB
ID:	2567190   Click image for larger version

Name:	07 Mini Flex Vertical.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	690.6 KB
ID:	2567192   Click image for larger version

Name:	08 Mini Flex Back.jpg
Size:	559.6 KB
ID:	2567194   Click image for larger version

Name:	09 Mini Flex Mounting Holes Exposed.jpg
Size:	623.9 KB
ID:	2567196   Click image for larger version

Name:	10 Mini Flex Grill On.jpg
Size:	679.2 KB
ID:	2567198  

Jonas2 likes this.

Last edited by morgiastic; 05-15-2019 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Formatting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1745 Old 05-16-2019, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1696
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgiastic View Post
Hi,
Yesterday I received two Kin Mini Flex speakers that I will be trying out as Height speakers. There doesn't appear to be really anything on here about them (unless the search function failed me, I haven't been all the way through this thread) so I decided I might post some photos of one of them. These speakers are sold separately, so one to a box. I tore into the first one like a four-year-old at Christmas, but thought to take some pics as I opened the second one.

Nice reveal! Look forward to your full impressions once you've had a chance to explore further. You're right, there isn't much here on them so you'll bring a valuable perspective to this thread. It's nice package Totem put together.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #1743 of 1745 Old 05-16-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Hi,
The first pic is of the various items that are on the top of the box as it is opened. They are the instructions and templates for various mounting applications or applying the feet. Unlike most Totem speakers these come with a grill that is in a box nestled into the top Styrofoam, which can be seen in the second pic. The third has the grill box removed revealing the various hardware. The fourth is of the speaker in the box with the top Styrofoam removed. The speaker is wrapped in that soft Styrofoam material all electronics seem to come wrapped in these days. Over that is a plastic bag taped shut. When I removed the plastic bag from the first one I felt my fingers and thumbs pushing into the drivers as I undid the tape and unwrapped it. No harm done, but something to watch for.
The fifth pic is of the various mounting hardware and feet that come with the speaker.
The sixth pic is of the speaker unwrapped and in a horizontal position, much as is traditionally used for a centre speaker. The Mini Flex is deeper on one side then the other, the deeper side has the Totem logo in the middle of it. It can be placed at any angle, in this case with the logo (deeper) side down causing the drivers to point up a little.
The seventh pic is of the Mini Flex in a vertical position, as one often sees the front main speakers. This one is placed in what I'm assuming would be proper for the front left speaker, with the logo to the left causing slight toe-in of the drivers even if placed flat, such as if mounted on the front wall.
The eight pic is of the back of the Mini Flex where one can see the four gold plated binding posts and jumpers. The ninth photo is also of the rear, but with the plugs covering the two threaded holes for mounting removed.
The final pic is of the front of the Mini Flex with the magnetic grill attached.
I currently have the speakers hooked-up an old Marantz integrated amp in my second zone, which is in an old unfinished basement. An excellent amp, but a challenging environment with no room correction. I haven't listened to a whole album, but heard several tracks from several albums from a variety genres as I spent time in my second zone and main zone. No way to give any fair assessment in that context, especially as I was going back-and-forth from my full range, room corrected HT and the second zone, but a few things are clear. They are quite detailed and responsive, and I would not care to use them without a sub-woofer in a home stereo/surround system. They also seem not as smooth on the higher frequencies as I had hoped from a fabric tweet, but, hopefully that won't be an issue when actually in the HT,especially with room correction.
I'm hoping to get this integrated into my HT ASAP (today) as I'm hoping to determine if they integrate well in hopes of getting another two for Rear Heights right away (looking to be back working soon which takes me away from home and no local dealer, so I have to order them from Totem). However, I'm hoping to get a chance to try them out on their own with a sub, with room correction applied, this coming week. May not have time for that, though.
Morgan

Give the speakers some play time to settle as the Kin Mini and Flex do sound on the bright side from the get go and rest assure it is mythical to think soft domes sound softer than metal done it depends on a multitude of factor even if it is generally a fact.

Nice reveal

Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST, Naim NAC 272 and 250 DR , Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo UDP203. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest, Display Panasonic CX-800U 65''
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1744 of 1745 Old 05-16-2019, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
Give the speakers some play time to settle as the Kin Mini and Flex do sound on the bright side from the get go and rest assure it is mythical to think soft domes sound softer than metal done it depends on a multitude of factor even if it is generally a fact.

Nice reveal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Nice reveal! Look forward to your full impressions once you've had a chance to explore further. You're right, there isn't much here on them so you'll bring a valuable perspective to this thread. It's nice package Totem put together.
Thanks for the thanks, guys. Took me over two hours just to post that, not sure what the problem was, but gotta hope it'll be useful to someone. I did get them in place yesterday, but it was too late to watch a movie. I did run few Atmos/DTSMA/Auro3D demos and watched some TV with Dolby Surround and Auro3D (which seems to make use of the height channels more). Will post more on foibles of installing them and what I think of them as heights latter, but the short of it is I'm definitely liking them, so far.

Not that I've heard enough new speakers to make an experiential assessment either way, but I'm fairly sceptical about the notion of speaker break-in, but a person can get used to just about anything. It probably would have been better to not have given any assessment of them in context of the room they were in and with no real calibration, however. Having said that, given that Totem does suggest 40-50 hour break-in, I did leave them running with the radio all night. Just before I pulled them out of the second zone I decided to throw some Metal at them (Metal Allegiance - Volume II: Power Drunk Majesty) and, despite all the screaming guitars and shrieky vocals, I wasn't noticing any of the shrillness that I had before. So, I threw on the album that I had had the problem with, an album by Violinist Noa Whildschut of Mozart pieces, and had the same experience. I just noticed that the allmusic review of the album by James Manheim begins with this quote, "The push is on to make 16-year-old Dutch violinist Noa Wildschut the prodigy of the moment, and a brief encounter with her 1714 Grancino violin is enough to hear why: it's a strikingly sharp, almost piercing sound that grabs your attention." so it's not unreasonable to assume that might be a particular torture test for a speaker, as well. One my mains seem to pass with flying colours, which I am grateful for.
Morgan
post #1745 of 1745 Old 05-16-2019, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Thanks for the thanks, guys. Took me over two hours just to post that, not sure what the problem was, but gotta hope it'll be useful to someone. I did get them in place yesterday, but it was too late to watch a movie. I did run few Atmos/DTSMA/Auro3D demos and watched some TV with Dolby Surround and Auro3D (which seems to make use of the height channels more). Will post more on foibles of installing them and what I think of them as heights latter, but the short of it is I'm definitely liking them, so far.

Not that I've heard enough new speakers to make an experiential assessment either way, but I'm fairly sceptical about the notion of speaker break-in, but a person can get used to just about anything. It probably would have been better to not have given any assessment of them in context of the room they were in and with no real calibration, however. Having said that, given that Totem does suggest 40-50 hour break-in, I did leave them running with the radio all night. Just before I pulled them out of the second zone I decided to throw some Metal at them (Metal Allegiance - Volume II: Power Drunk Majesty) and, despite all the screaming guitars and shrieky vocals, I wasn't noticing any of the shrillness that I had before. So, I threw on the album that I had had the problem with, an album by Violinist Noa Whildschut of Mozart pieces, and had the same experience. I just noticed that the allmusic review of the album by James Manheim begins with this quote, "The push is on to make 16-year-old Dutch violinist Noa Wildschut the prodigy of the moment, and a brief encounter with her 1714 Grancino violin is enough to hear why: it's a strikingly sharp, almost piercing sound that grabs your attention." so it's not unreasonable to assume that might be a particular torture test for a speaker, as well. One my mains seem to pass with flying colours, which I am grateful for.
Morgan

Well i mean i had experience with speaker break in May I just say i have 5 pair of speaker right now so i know a little bit I know cause i can do direct a-B comparison on many reference tracks I use and compare to another speaker and see how it progresses over time, my dealer thought the same thing as you in the beginning and after 50 hours or so they started to tame down, they are not exactly the smoothest of speakers but they sound certainly more neutral after a while and when you can do before and after comparison with another of speakers I mean it becomes a pretty conclusive test.

Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST, Naim NAC 272 and 250 DR , Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo UDP203. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest, Display Panasonic CX-800U 65''
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics Cmt 340 Se Center , totem acoustic tribe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page