Totem Acoustic Owner's Thread - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 203Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1741 of 1810 Old 05-15-2019, 11:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Kin Mini Flex Unboxing

Hi,
Yesterday I received two Kin Mini Flex speakers that I will be trying out as Height speakers. There doesn't appear to be really anything on here about them (unless the search function failed me, I haven't been all the way through this thread) so I decided I might post some photos of one of them. These speakers are sold separately, so one to a box. I tore into the first one like a four-year-old at Christmas, but thought to take some pics as I opened the second one.
The first pic is of the various items that are on the top of the box as it is opened. They are the instructions and templates for various mounting applications or applying the feet. Unlike most Totem speakers these come with a grill that is in a box nestled into the top Styrofoam, which can be seen in the second pic. The third has the grill box removed revealing the various hardware. The fourth is of the speaker in the box with the top Styrofoam removed. The speaker is wrapped in that soft Styrofoam material all electronics seem to come wrapped in these days. Over that is a plastic bag taped shut. When I removed the plastic bag from the first one I felt my fingers and thumbs pushing into the drivers as I undid the tape and unwrapped it. No harm done, but something to watch for.
The fifth pic is of the various mounting hardware and feet that come with the speaker.
The sixth pic is of the speaker unwrapped and in a horizontal position, much as is traditionally used for a centre speaker. The Mini Flex is deeper on one side then the other, the deeper side has the Totem logo in the middle of it. It can be placed at any angle, in this case with the logo (deeper) side down causing the drivers to point up a little.
The seventh pic is of the Mini Flex in a vertical position, as one often sees the front main speakers. This one is placed in what I'm assuming would be proper for the front left speaker, with the logo to the left causing slight toe-in of the drivers even if placed flat, such as if mounted on the front wall.
The eight pic is of the back of the Mini Flex where one can see the four gold plated binding posts and jumpers. The ninth photo is also of the rear, but with the plugs covering the two threaded holes for mounting removed.
The final pic is of the front of the Mini Flex with the magnetic grill attached.
I currently have the speakers hooked-up an old Marantz integrated amp in my second zone, which is in an old unfinished basement. An excellent amp, but a challenging environment with no room correction. I haven't listened to a whole album, but heard several tracks from several albums from a variety genres as I spent time in my second zone and main zone. No way to give any fair assessment in that context, especially as I was going back-and-forth from my full range, room corrected HT and the second zone, but a few things are clear. They are quite detailed and responsive, and I would not care to use them without a sub-woofer in a home stereo/surround system. They also seem not as smooth on the higher frequencies as I had hoped from a fabric tweet, but, hopefully that won't be an issue when actually in the HT,especially with room correction.
I'm hoping to get this integrated into my HT ASAP (today) as I'm hoping to determine if they integrate well in hopes of getting another two for Rear Heights right away (looking to be back working soon which takes me away from home and no local dealer, so I have to order them from Totem). However, I'm hoping to get a chance to try them out on their own with a sub, with room correction applied, this coming week. May not have time for that, though.
Morgan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01 Mini Flex Templates, Instructions.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	486.7 KB
ID:	2567180   Click image for larger version

Name:	02 Mini Flex Just Open.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	784.1 KB
ID:	2567182   Click image for larger version

Name:	03 Mini Flex Grill Box Removed.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	660.2 KB
ID:	2567184   Click image for larger version

Name:	04 Mini Flex Top Styrofoam Removed.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	762.8 KB
ID:	2567186   Click image for larger version

Name:	05 Mini Flex Mounting Hardware and Feet.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	779.3 KB
ID:	2567188  

Click image for larger version

Name:	06 Mini Flex Horizontal.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	702.9 KB
ID:	2567190   Click image for larger version

Name:	07 Mini Flex Vertical.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	690.6 KB
ID:	2567192   Click image for larger version

Name:	08 Mini Flex Back.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	559.6 KB
ID:	2567194   Click image for larger version

Name:	09 Mini Flex Mounting Holes Exposed.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	623.9 KB
ID:	2567196   Click image for larger version

Name:	10 Mini Flex Grill On.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	679.2 KB
ID:	2567198  

Jonas2 likes this.

Last edited by morgiastic; 05-15-2019 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Formatting
morgiastic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1742 of 1810 Old 05-16-2019, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,565
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2791 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgiastic View Post
Hi,
Yesterday I received two Kin Mini Flex speakers that I will be trying out as Height speakers. There doesn't appear to be really anything on here about them (unless the search function failed me, I haven't been all the way through this thread) so I decided I might post some photos of one of them. These speakers are sold separately, so one to a box. I tore into the first one like a four-year-old at Christmas, but thought to take some pics as I opened the second one.

Nice reveal! Look forward to your full impressions once you've had a chance to explore further. You're right, there isn't much here on them so you'll bring a valuable perspective to this thread. It's nice package Totem put together.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #1743 of 1810 Old 05-16-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigAl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,239
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgiastic View Post
Hi,
Yesterday I received two Kin Mini Flex speakers that I will be trying out as Height speakers. There doesn't appear to be really anything on here about them (unless the search function failed me, I haven't been all the way through this thread) so I decided I might post some photos of one of them. These speakers are sold separately, so one to a box. I tore into the first one like a four-year-old at Christmas, but thought to take some pics as I opened the second one.
The first pic is of the various items that are on the top of the box as it is opened. They are the instructions and templates for various mounting applications or applying the feet. Unlike most Totem speakers these come with a grill that is in a box nestled into the top Styrofoam, which can be seen in the second pic. The third has the grill box removed revealing the various hardware. The fourth is of the speaker in the box with the top Styrofoam removed. The speaker is wrapped in that soft Styrofoam material all electronics seem to come wrapped in these days. Over that is a plastic bag taped shut. When I removed the plastic bag from the first one I felt my fingers and thumbs pushing into the drivers as I undid the tape and unwrapped it. No harm done, but something to watch for.
The fifth pic is of the various mounting hardware and feet that come with the speaker.
The sixth pic is of the speaker unwrapped and in a horizontal position, much as is traditionally used for a centre speaker. The Mini Flex is deeper on one side then the other, the deeper side has the Totem logo in the middle of it. It can be placed at any angle, in this case with the logo (deeper) side down causing the drivers to point up a little.
The seventh pic is of the Mini Flex in a vertical position, as one often sees the front main speakers. This one is placed in what I'm assuming would be proper for the front left speaker, with the logo to the left causing slight toe-in of the drivers even if placed flat, such as if mounted on the front wall.
The eight pic is of the back of the Mini Flex where one can see the four gold plated binding posts and jumpers. The ninth photo is also of the rear, but with the plugs covering the two threaded holes for mounting removed.
The final pic is of the front of the Mini Flex with the magnetic grill attached.
I currently have the speakers hooked-up an old Marantz integrated amp in my second zone, which is in an old unfinished basement. An excellent amp, but a challenging environment with no room correction. I haven't listened to a whole album, but heard several tracks from several albums from a variety genres as I spent time in my second zone and main zone. No way to give any fair assessment in that context, especially as I was going back-and-forth from my full range, room corrected HT and the second zone, but a few things are clear. They are quite detailed and responsive, and I would not care to use them without a sub-woofer in a home stereo/surround system. They also seem not as smooth on the higher frequencies as I had hoped from a fabric tweet, but, hopefully that won't be an issue when actually in the HT,especially with room correction.
I'm hoping to get this integrated into my HT ASAP (today) as I'm hoping to determine if they integrate well in hopes of getting another two for Rear Heights right away (looking to be back working soon which takes me away from home and no local dealer, so I have to order them from Totem). However, I'm hoping to get a chance to try them out on their own with a sub, with room correction applied, this coming week. May not have time for that, though.
Morgan

Give the speakers some play time to settle as the Kin Mini and Flex do sound on the bright side from the get go and rest assure it is mythical to think soft domes sound softer than metal done it depends on a multitude of factor even if it is generally a fact.


Nice reveal

Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST, Naim NAC 272 and 250 DR , Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo UDP203. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest, Display Panasonic CX-800U 65''
BigAl87 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1744 of 1810 Old 05-16-2019, 02:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
Give the speakers some play time to settle as the Kin Mini and Flex do sound on the bright side from the get go and rest assure it is mythical to think soft domes sound softer than metal done it depends on a multitude of factor even if it is generally a fact.


Nice reveal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Nice reveal! Look forward to your full impressions once you've had a chance to explore further. You're right, there isn't much here on them so you'll bring a valuable perspective to this thread. It's nice package Totem put together.
Thanks for the thanks, guys. Took me over two hours just to post that, not sure what the problem was, but gotta hope it'll be useful to someone. I did get them in place yesterday, but it was too late to watch a movie. I did run few Atmos/DTSMA/Auro3D demos and watched some TV with Dolby Surround and Auro3D (which seems to make use of the height channels more). Will post more on foibles of installing them and what I think of them as heights latter, but the short of it is I'm definitely liking them, so far.


Not that I've heard enough new speakers to make an experiential assessment either way, but I'm fairly sceptical about the notion of speaker break-in, but a person can get used to just about anything. It probably would have been better to not have given any assessment of them in context of the room they were in and with no real calibration, however. Having said that, given that Totem does suggest 40-50 hour break-in, I did leave them running with the radio all night. Just before I pulled them out of the second zone I decided to throw some Metal at them (Metal Allegiance - Volume II: Power Drunk Majesty) and, despite all the screaming guitars and shrieky vocals, I wasn't noticing any of the shrillness that I had before. So, I threw on the album that I had had the problem with, an album by Violinist Noa Whildschut of Mozart pieces, and had the same experience. I just noticed that the allmusic review of the album by James Manheim begins with this quote, "The push is on to make 16-year-old Dutch violinist Noa Wildschut the prodigy of the moment, and a brief encounter with her 1714 Grancino violin is enough to hear why: it's a strikingly sharp, almost piercing sound that grabs your attention." so it's not unreasonable to assume that might be a particular torture test for a speaker, as well. One my mains seem to pass with flying colours, which I am grateful for.
Morgan
morgiastic is offline  
post #1745 of 1810 Old 05-16-2019, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigAl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,239
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgiastic View Post
Thanks for the thanks, guys. Took me over two hours just to post that, not sure what the problem was, but gotta hope it'll be useful to someone. I did get them in place yesterday, but it was too late to watch a movie. I did run few Atmos/DTSMA/Auro3D demos and watched some TV with Dolby Surround and Auro3D (which seems to make use of the height channels more). Will post more on foibles of installing them and what I think of them as heights latter, but the short of it is I'm definitely liking them, so far.


Not that I've heard enough new speakers to make an experiential assessment either way, but I'm fairly sceptical about the notion of speaker break-in, but a person can get used to just about anything. It probably would have been better to not have given any assessment of them in context of the room they were in and with no real calibration, however. Having said that, given that Totem does suggest 40-50 hour break-in, I did leave them running with the radio all night. Just before I pulled them out of the second zone I decided to throw some Metal at them (Metal Allegiance - Volume II: Power Drunk Majesty) and, despite all the screaming guitars and shrieky vocals, I wasn't noticing any of the shrillness that I had before. So, I threw on the album that I had had the problem with, an album by Violinist Noa Whildschut of Mozart pieces, and had the same experience. I just noticed that the allmusic review of the album by James Manheim begins with this quote, "The push is on to make 16-year-old Dutch violinist Noa Wildschut the prodigy of the moment, and a brief encounter with her 1714 Grancino violin is enough to hear why: it's a strikingly sharp, almost piercing sound that grabs your attention." so it's not unreasonable to assume that might be a particular torture test for a speaker, as well. One my mains seem to pass with flying colours, which I am grateful for.
Morgan

Well i mean i had experience with speaker break in May I just say i have 5 pair of speaker right now so i know a little bit I know cause i can do direct a-B comparison on many reference tracks I use and compare to another speaker and see how it progresses over time, my dealer thought the same thing as you in the beginning and after 50 hours or so they started to tame down, they are not exactly the smoothest of speakers but they sound certainly more neutral after a while and when you can do before and after comparison with another of speakers I mean it becomes a pretty conclusive test.

Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST, Naim NAC 272 and 250 DR , Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo UDP203. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest, Display Panasonic CX-800U 65''
BigAl87 is offline  
post #1746 of 1810 Old 06-09-2019, 06:09 PM
Newbie
 
jnrmpco1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Totem in wall vs On Wall

I an looking for speakers for a large, open floorplan family room (the living room is about 550 square feet, but if you include the eating and kitchen area behind it the total square feet is about 1200). I am going to purchase totem speakers for the installation, but unfortunately there are very limited options for auditioning them here - which given the fact that I live in Los Angeles is pretty astounding to me (most Totem dealers are custom installers who don't have showrooms) I have auditioned the Totem Tribe Towers, which I thought were fantastic, but am leaning toward an in-wall setup. Unfortunately, I am really having a hard time getting a sense of how the in walls compare to what I heard. The tower shares similar torrent speakers with the Tribe III on wall speakers, but the in walls do not have torrent speakers. My options are: (i) The visually preferred front set up with three identical totem LRC in walls, with the center turned horizontally; (ii) using three tribe III speakers on wall, again turning the center channel horizontally, or (iii) forgetting about the wall installation, at least for the sides, and do the totem towers for the LR and figuring out which of the totem center channels I want to use - could be in wall, on wall, or on furniture. I will be using KIN speakers for the rears.

A few further facts: (1) I already have a set of very nice Aerial Acoustics Model 6 speakers for music listening although if I get in walls I may use them for casual music, and (2) I am not a "high volume" guy - clarity, rather than thunder, are what motivates me.

How much would I be giving up by using the in walls that do not have torrent speakers vs the on wall or tower options? I would appreciate it if folks could give me degrees of difference comments rather than "just go for the torrents."

Thanks!
jnrmpco1 is offline  
post #1747 of 1810 Old 06-09-2019, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,565
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2791 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnrmpco1 View Post
Totem in wall vs On Wall

How much would I be giving up by using the in walls that do not have torrent speakers vs the on wall or tower options? I would appreciate it if folks could give me degrees of difference comments rather than "just go for the torrents."

Are you running subwoofers? If not, definitely go for the Torrents for the better low frequency performance. You do mention you're not a loud, but rather a clear person - however - a large space will be more demanding at distance, and the Tribe III and Tribe Tower can go louder, greater power handling - that you might want to consider. If most of your listening/watching will in fact be in the living room area, likely less of an issue.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #1748 of 1810 Old 06-09-2019, 09:11 PM
Newbie
 
jnrmpco1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am perfectly ok with a subwoofer, and watching will be pretty much entirely in the family room area. Seating is about 18 feet from speakers/screen.
jnrmpco1 is offline  
post #1749 of 1810 Old 06-10-2019, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigAl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,239
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnrmpco1 View Post
I am perfectly ok with a subwoofer, and watching will be pretty much entirely in the family room area. Seating is about 18 feet from speakers/screen.

One thing the in Wall have going for them is the passive radiator which compassionate for the lack of port and also allow them to be 1 db more efficient than Tribe III with the Torrent. Believe it or not they can peak 110db per paire which is insanely loud now I do not think you should play them that loud lol.


Anyhow one thing is for sure as Jonas said you have a really big room so it is not an easy task to fill, the area for the living room alone in 550 square feet which represent nearly double th space I have for my living and dining area. Considering you space and if money was no object I would go with Tribe V but I think the In wall Would work for you.


I would pick the Tribe center in wall if you have the put it under the screen and place it vertically as much as possible for better horizontal dispersion.

Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST, Naim NAC 272 and 250 DR , Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo UDP203. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest, Display Panasonic CX-800U 65''
BigAl87 is offline  
post #1750 of 1810 Old 06-10-2019, 11:46 AM
Newbie
 
jnrmpco1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
One thing the in Wall have going for them is the passive radiator which compassionate for the lack of port and also allow them to be 1 db more efficient than Tribe III with the Torrent. Believe it or not they can peak 110db per paire which is insanely loud now I do not think you should play them that loud lol.


Anyhow one thing is for sure as Jonas said you have a really big room so it is not an easy task to fill, the area for the living room alone in 550 square feet which represent nearly double th space I have for my living and dining area. Considering you space and if money was no object I would go with Tribe V but I think the In wall Would work for you.


I would pick the Tribe center in wall if you have the put it under the screen and place it vertically as much as possible for better horizontal dispersion.
Thank you for the great response. I have two follow up questions:

1. You suggested the Tribe Center for under the screen. I assume this is the Tribe Side/Center - the one that is closer to "square" that is about 15 x 11 inches, rather than the Tribe In Walls which are about 30" long by 7" wide. So if I understand you correctly (which I may or may not . . .), I would use two Tribe In Walls (the long ones) for the sides, and a single Tribe Side/Center under the TV. If this is correct, perhaps you could enlighten me as to why you recommend the Tribe Side/Center for the center speaker rather than using three identical Tribe In Walls for LRC?
2. Your explanation about the in walls compared to the Tribe III was very helpful. I am curious as to your impression of the "musicality" of the Tribe In Wall compared to the Tribe III or Tribe Tower, forgetting about space and loudness. In other words, is the lack of the torrent driver noticeable in terms of sound quality if you are in a small room at comparable volumes, as you might notice the difference in quality between a KIN and a Tribe in wall?
jnrmpco1 is offline  
post #1751 of 1810 Old 06-10-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigAl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,239
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnrmpco1 View Post
Thank you for the great response. I have two follow up questions:

1. You suggested the Tribe Center for under the screen. I assume this is the Tribe Side/Center - the one that is closer to "square" that is about 15 x 11 inches, rather than the Tribe In Walls which are about 30" long by 7" wide. So if I understand you correctly (which I may or may not . . .), I would use two Tribe In Walls (the long ones) for the sides, and a single Tribe Side/Center under the TV. If this is correct, perhaps you could enlighten me as to why you recommend the Tribe Side/Center for the center speaker rather than using three identical Tribe In Walls for LRC?
2. Your explanation about the in walls compared to the Tribe III was very helpful. I am curious as to your impression of the "musicality" of the Tribe In Wall compared to the Tribe III or Tribe Tower, forgetting about space and loudness. In other words, is the lack of the torrent driver noticeable in terms of sound quality if you are in a small room at comparable volumes, as you might notice the difference in quality between a KIN and a Tribe in wall?

You are spot on for point number one I think although the Tribe center does not go as low as the other ones I would set one up vertically if in any way possible, it will give you best off axis performance with greater horizontal dispersion,, efficiency is the same at 90db. Unless you could figure out a way to place the long speaker vertically behind Screen designed for it, Vertically placed speakers are the best way to go, I use a Tribe III on wall placed horizontally cause I have not other option with my TV and living room but if you can that would be your best option as I said again you have a big room so horizontal dispersion is important as horizontally placed speaker would lead to frequency cancellation even if the Tribes are well designed, you would still lose off-axis performance.


horizontal speaker = better vertical dispersion
vertical Speaker = better horizontal dispersion




Sound quality not so much honestly the torrent does have an edge over the standard driver but overall sound quality is actually similar tonally speaking, The torrent might just get you a bit more resolution and extension but Jonas has Tribe I and III and he'll tell you from a surround sound perspective you can hardly notice the difference as all Tribes are made to work in synergy and are tonally matched and in Phase with each other. You would get better dynamic range with Tribe III or V as left and right, You could do a hybrid config also just use 2 on-wall Tribe III and keep the rest discretely hidden in wall.


The Torrent can take a bit more abused adn is designed to be in the juice figuratively speaking, it has a long excursion for such small driver and always remains in control due to the powerful Neodymium magnet.

Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST, Naim NAC 272 and 250 DR , Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo UDP203. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest, Display Panasonic CX-800U 65''

Last edited by BigAl87; 06-10-2019 at 12:43 PM.
BigAl87 is offline  
post #1752 of 1810 Old 06-10-2019, 12:57 PM
Newbie
 
jnrmpco1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
You are spot on for point number one I think although the Tribe center does not go as low as the other ones I would set one up vertically if in any way possible, it will give you best off axis performance with greater horizontal dispersion,, efficiency is the same at 90db. Unless you could figure out a way to place the long speaker vertically behind Screen designed for it, Vertically placed speakers are the best way to go, I use a Tribe III on wall placed horizontally cause I have not other option with my TV and living room but if you can that would be your best option as I said again you have a big room so horizontal dispersion is important as horizontally placed speaker would lead to frequency cancellation even if the Tribes are well designed, you would still lose off-axis performance.


horizontal speaker = better vertical dispersion
vertical Speaker = better horizontal dispersion




Sound quality not so much honestly the torrent does have an edge over the standard driver but overall sound quality is actually similar tonally speaking, The torrent might just get you a bit more resolution and extension but Jonas has Tribe I and III and he'll tell you from a surround sound perspective you can hardly notice the difference as all Tribes are made to work in synergy and are tonally matched and in Phase with each other. You would get better dynamic range with Tribe III or V as left and right, You could do a hybrid config also just use 2 on-wall Tribe III and keep the rest discretely hidden in wall.


The Torrent can take a bit more abused adn is designed to be in the juice figuratively speaking, it has a long excursion for such small driver and always remains in control due to the powerful Neodymium magnet.
b


Wow. Sooooo helpful. One final clarification. If I install the Tribe Side/Center Vertically, that means that I will have a Woofer, Tweeter, Woofer arrangement going from top to bottom on one side, and the two passives on the other. I am a little concerned that this might lead for the sound to be off balance for a center channel. Comments? And THANK YOU!!!!
jnrmpco1 is offline  
post #1753 of 1810 Old 06-10-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigAl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,239
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnrmpco1 View Post
b


Wow. Sooooo helpful. One final clarification. If I install the Tribe Side/Center Vertically, that means that I will have a Woofer, Tweeter, Woofer arrangement going from top to bottom on one side, and the two passives on the other. I am a little concerned that this might lead for the sound to be off balance for a center channel. Comments? And THANK YOU!!!!
I would choose vertical placement. Don't think the Passive rad is as intrusive as the mid bass driver is for the tweeter for frequency cancellation, as Totem states they will work well both ways but I feel Vertical placement may end with the best best result.


Quote from Totem in the Owner's manual,
Quote:
SPEAKER POSITIONING
Totem produces speakers with great dispersion, both on the vertical and horizontal axis. These speakers
are of a superior design and will perform remarkably well in a variety of spaces. With special care and the
time, you take to position your Totem speakers the greater the result

Sorry I have chime in regarding the Kin in Small room, look kin are great but they are Totem's entry level line they would sound great in small to medium size room but in your room I would do Tribes, just my 2 cents.
You can mix Kin with Tribes also and use the Kin sides as your Surrounds in ceiling for Atmos speaker but do yourself a favor go with the tribes as your front sound stage.

Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST, Naim NAC 272 and 250 DR , Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo UDP203. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest, Display Panasonic CX-800U 65''

Last edited by BigAl87; 06-10-2019 at 01:44 PM.
BigAl87 is offline  
post #1754 of 1810 Old 06-10-2019, 02:19 PM
Newbie
 
jnrmpco1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks! No, I definitely will not do KIN for the fronts. I will only use the for surround. Sounds like I have my set up. Thanks to both of you for your help.
jnrmpco1 is offline  
post #1755 of 1810 Old 06-10-2019, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigAl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,239
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnrmpco1 View Post
Thanks! No, I definitely will not do KIN for the fronts. I will only use the for surround. Sounds like I have my set up. Thanks to both of you for your help.
You're welcome

Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST, Naim NAC 272 and 250 DR , Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo UDP203. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest, Display Panasonic CX-800U 65''
BigAl87 is offline  
post #1756 of 1810 Old 06-11-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,565
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2791 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
Sound quality not so much honestly the torrent does have an edge over the standard driver but overall sound quality is actually similar tonally speaking, The torrent might just get you a bit more resolution and extension but Jonas has Tribe I and III and he'll tell you from a surround sound perspective you can hardly notice the difference as all Tribes are made to work in synergy and are tonally matched and in Phase with each other. You would get better dynamic range with Tribe III or V as left and right, You could do a hybrid config also just use 2 on-wall Tribe III and keep the rest discretely hidden in wall.

Absolutely true - as surrounds, you can't tell the difference between the I and III, and these are crossed over at 80Hz, so the Torrents I feel are not yet exploited to their full extent. If they have to go full range, the difference becomes much more apparent - this is very interesting to both see and hear in action when running full range sweeps during calibration. You can visually see the driver movement with a lot of excursion in the Tribe I as it approaches it's max low frequency ability, whereas the III kind of shrugs it off and just deals with it - if that makes sense? Torrent is clearly designed to handle low frequencies with a special grace and there is a difference of course heard in that extension which remains clear and tight. But during typical content and music listening WITH subwoofers, it's very hard to tell the difference, at least at 80Hz crossed over.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #1757 of 1810 Old 06-21-2019, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigAl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,239
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 266
New Element V2 here


New Evolution of the Torrent Driver and x-over improved in the Tweeter section, better mids and Better bass response more speed more accuracy and better frequency separation. Sounds interesting.



https://www.wifihifi.ca/LatestNewsHe...dspeakers.html
Jonas2 likes this.

Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST, Naim NAC 272 and 250 DR , Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo UDP203. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest, Display Panasonic CX-800U 65''
BigAl87 is offline  
post #1758 of 1810 Old 06-21-2019, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,963
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
New Element V2 here


New Evolution of the Torrent Driver and x-over improved in the Tweeter section, better mids and Better bass response more speed more accuracy and better frequency separation. Sounds interesting.



https://www.wifihifi.ca/LatestNewsHe...dspeakers.html
That’s cool!!
callas01 is offline  
post #1759 of 1810 Old 06-22-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,565
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2791 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
New Element V2 here

New Evolution of the Torrent Driver and x-over improved in the Tweeter section, better mids and Better bass response more speed more accuracy and better frequency separation. Sounds interesting.

https://www.wifihifi.ca/LatestNewsHe...dspeakers.html

AWESOME! So bummed my local dealer is no longer. V1 was fantastic. Those are some big claims in comparison with V2 - but if that is indeed the reality, well, DAMN.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #1760 of 1810 Old 06-22-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigAl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,239
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
AWESOME! So bummed my local dealer is no longer. V1 was fantastic. Those are some big claims in comparison with V2 - but if that is indeed the reality, well, DAMN.

Yeah that's not so cool your local dealer is gone, the Tribe Tower also has an evolution of the 4 inch torrent found in the Tribes, no wonder they sound so fantastic.


Is saw a guy selling his Earth V1 to get Metal V2, Wondering if i should get the Fire V2 lol.


Here's a vid, I cannot directly link it as it seems to be locked, just copy and paste url in your browser without double quotes.

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n31pc_QKx2w"

Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST, Naim NAC 272 and 250 DR , Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo UDP203. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest, Display Panasonic CX-800U 65''

Last edited by BigAl87; 06-22-2019 at 09:31 AM.
BigAl87 is offline  
post #1761 of 1810 Old 06-22-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,565
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2791 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
Wondering if i should get the Fire V2 lol.

The answer to that question is, "YES"......

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #1762 of 1810 Old 06-22-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigAl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,239
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
The answer to that question is, "YES"......

I did trade Forest For Signature version why not go Fire V1 to V2 , I'll think about it, Fires spend 2/3 of the time collecting dust but so are my Contor-30 and my Signature. Wondering of they will have an Earth V2

Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST, Naim NAC 272 and 250 DR , Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo UDP203. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest, Display Panasonic CX-800U 65''
BigAl87 is offline  
post #1763 of 1810 Old 06-22-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,565
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2791 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
I did trade Forest For Signature version why not go Fire V1 to V2 , I'll think about it, Fires spend 2/3 of the time collecting dust but so are my Contor-30 and my Signature. Wondering of they will have an Earth V2

Something tells me if you had those V2s, they might not spend so much time collecting dust.....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #1764 of 1810 Old 06-22-2019, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigAl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,239
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Something tells me if you had those V2s, they might not spend so much time collecting dust.....
Not for a while at least lol but I got to many pairs of speakers, 3 pairs currently collecting dust. Would also be interested in getting a pair of Dyn Special 40.

Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST, Naim NAC 272 and 250 DR , Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo UDP203. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest, Display Panasonic CX-800U 65''
BigAl87 is offline  
post #1765 of 1810 Old 06-22-2019, 03:54 PM
 
Spurrier Sucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: On Top
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Something tells me if you had those V2s, they might not spend so much time collecting dust.....[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Not for a while at least lol but I got to many pairs of speakers, 3 pairs currently collecting dust. Would also be interested in getting a pair of Dyn Special 40.
Get PMC 25.23 instead of those 😜
Spurrier Sucks is offline  
post #1766 of 1810 Old 06-22-2019, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,963
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
I did trade Forest For Signature version why not go Fire V1 to V2 , I'll think about it, Fires spend 2/3 of the time collecting dust but so are my Contor-30 and my Signature. Wondering of they will have an Earth V2
Lol.... yep too many speakers! You should just do Contour 30s and Earths.
callas01 is offline  
post #1767 of 1810 Old 06-22-2019, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigAl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,239
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Lol.... yep too many speakers! You should just do Contour 30s and Earths.

Earth has not bee announced to have V2 version


I am sure those 20s are sounding better every day Steve.



@Spurrier Sucks


Yeah ok, True I have been wanting PMC speaker for a while but not sure I would buy new, I would not mind getting a used pair of Twenty 23. When Are you getting yourself a pair of those Twenty5 23 John.



How's the Contour 30 btw?

Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST, Naim NAC 272 and 250 DR , Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo UDP203. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest, Display Panasonic CX-800U 65''
BigAl87 is offline  
post #1768 of 1810 Old 06-23-2019, 09:19 AM
 
Spurrier Sucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: On Top
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Lol.... yep too many speakers! You should just do Contour 30s and Earths.

Earth has not bee announced to have V2 version [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]


I am sure those 20s are sounding better every day Steve.



@Spurrier Sucks


Yeah ok, True I have been wanting PMC speaker for a while but not sure I would buy new, I would not mind getting a used pair of Twenty 23. When Are you getting yourself a pair of those Twenty5 23 John.



How's the Contour 30 btw?
Almost bout a pair of 20.21 but decided not to buy them. Good thing too. I used that money to put toward my Contour 30. Very happy I did. No more speaker shopping for me fir a while. Hell I think I’m done with electronics for a couple more years too. Think I’m going to enjoy the music for a while and stop obsessing over gear. Lol. Unless a 272 replacement comes out this year which I doubt. I expect a SN3 to arrive before 272 replacement. If that’s the case in a couple to 3 years I may go a different direction. SN3/NDX2 possibly and move the 272 to replace my Qute. In any event I don’t think my speakers will be changing.
Spurrier Sucks is offline  
post #1769 of 1810 Old 06-23-2019, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,963
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
Earth has not bee announced to have V2 version


I am sure those 20s are sounding better every day Steve.



@Spurrier Sucks


Yeah ok, True I have been wanting PMC speaker for a while but not sure I would buy new, I would not mind getting a used pair of Twenty 23. When Are you getting yourself a pair of those Twenty5 23 John.



How's the Contour 30 btw?
The Contour 20s have entered a new room, we just moved houses this last week. Right now the Uniti Star/Contour/HSU setup (2.1) is sounding great. I’m still putting this room together, need an area rug, maybe acoustic treatments. Can’t say yet.
callas01 is offline  
post #1770 of 1810 Old 06-24-2019, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigAl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,239
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
The Contour 20s have entered a new room, we just moved houses this last week. Right now the Uniti Star/Contour/HSU setup (2.1) is sounding great. I’m still putting this room together, need an area rug, maybe acoustic treatments. Can’t say yet.



Could you reuse some of the panels you had in the other house?


I noticed you pics of the 3 channel setup with your DMs and center, unfortunate there is no easy way you can have a 5 channel setup. You Know with Cable management running on the ceiling and some Kin minis hooked to the ceiling that could work

Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST, Naim NAC 272 and 250 DR , Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo UDP203. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest, Display Panasonic CX-800U 65''
BigAl87 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics Cmt 340 Se Center , totem acoustic tribe

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off