Totem Acoustic Owner's Thread - Page 60 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 203Likes

post #1771 of 1810 Old 06-24-2019, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgiastic View Post
Thanks for the thanks, guys. Took me over two hours just to post that, not sure what the problem was, but gotta hope it'll be useful to someone. I did get them in place yesterday, but it was too late to watch a movie. I did run few Atmos/DTSMA/Auro3D demos and watched some TV with Dolby Surround and Auro3D (which seems to make use of the height channels more). Will post more on foibles of installing them and what I think of them as heights latter, but the short of it is I'm definitely liking them, so far.

Not that I've heard enough new speakers to make an experiential assessment either way, but I'm fairly sceptical about the notion of speaker break-in, but a person can get used to just about anything. It probably would have been better to not have given any assessment of them in context of the room they were in and with no real calibration, however. Having said that, given that Totem does suggest 40-50 hour break-in, I did leave them running with the radio all night. Just before I pulled them out of the second zone I decided to throw some Metal at them (Metal Allegiance - Volume II: Power Drunk Majesty) and, despite all the screaming guitars and shrieky vocals, I wasn't noticing any of the shrillness that I had before. So, I threw on the album that I had had the problem with, an album by Violinist Noa Whildschut of Mozart pieces, and had the same experience. I just noticed that the allmusic review of the album by James Manheim begins with this quote, "The push is on to make 16-year-old Dutch violinist Noa Wildschut the prodigy of the moment, and a brief encounter with her 1714 Grancino violin is enough to hear why: it's a strikingly sharp, almost piercing sound that grabs your attention." so it's not unreasonable to assume that might be a particular torture test for a speaker, as well. One my mains seem to pass with flying colours, which I am grateful for.
Morgan
Any update for us? I'm still thinking of doing a Kin Mini desktop system, possibly 5.1 with the flex as the center and a pair of the mini speakers as surrounds. Any thoughts? Hoping you're liking your system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 1810 Old 06-25-2019, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctors11 View Post
Any update for us? I'm still thinking of doing a Kin Mini desktop system, possibly 5.1 with the flex as the center and a pair of the mini speakers as surrounds. Any thoughts? Hoping you're liking your system.

Hi doctors11,

Yes, well overdue. Sorry.😊

Just as a caveat to any impressions I may give below, I have neither a great deal of technical knowledge nor a good deal of experience with audio equipment other than what I have assembled myself.

To briefly address your situation, I would say that the Kins would be excellent in that situation. I have only experienced them in a (sort-of) nearfield set-up for about 10 min in an audio store, just on the shelf, though. I would definitely want a .1 to go with these. They also draw 6 Ohms, so your going to want an amplifier up to that, x5, if that’s the way you go (probably not telling you anything you don’t know here).

So, my purpose for the Kin Mini Flex speakers was to add height speakers to my system, which on the audio side is:

North Creek Music Systems Eska MTM Mini-Towers for Mains and Surrounds, Eska MTM Centre Channel, Okara II Upgrades for Centre Rears, and an SVS PC-13 Ultra,

Denon AVR X8500H, which replaced a Denon AVR 3808 this past November,

Cambridge Audio CX-UHD, which replaced a Denon DV-5900 this past September.

I was looking for something that would mesh well with the above speakers and was biased toward something with a fabric tweeter to achieve that. On the other hand, I wasn’t in a position to do in-ceiling or in-wall, so was limited to something small enough to be mounted. I attempted to describe to the dealer I got the 8500 from (as well as a front projector and screen) what I was looking for and he suggested the Martin Logan 4i. I was a bit sceptical but thought I would have another use for them if that didn’t work out. As it was, the 8500 did a much better job of integrating them into the audio field than I expected, but still only so much and they added a harshness I didn’t care for.

I came across the Kin Minis and managed to get to a Totem dealer during a trip to the city. I liked what I heard, but they didn’t have any black ones in stock and white wasn’t going to work for me. I knew I could get them direct from Totem, though, with the 14-day trial. Ultimately, I decided the Mini Flex might be a better fit and, after a reassuring conversation with a tech at Totem, ordered two of them.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I hooked them into my two-channel second zone system to get some sense of what they might sound like on their own. I was eager to get them into the HT, though, as I wanted as much time as possible to evaluate them as height speakers during the trial period, so got them mounted the next day.

The Mini Flex comes with a mounting bracket that allows it to be mounted flush to the wall, either horizontally or vertically. However, it was my intention to hang them from the ceiling and that mount would have left them point down, instead of forward. That might actually work with these speakers, but I wanted them facing forward. Also, the included mount depends somewhat on gravity, but a well-placed screw, or two, would have been adequate to secure them. In any case the Totem tech recommended the Omni-mount Speaker Mount 10.0, being strong enough and fitting the mounting bracket hole. I would need two for each Mini Flex as I wished to mount them horizontally.

The ceiling in my living room/HT is some sort of pressed paperboard, so when I installed the motorized screen I first put in place pieces of ¾” plywood spanning two joists each and attached the casement to those. These seemed to be the ideal place to mount the speakers, especially as they would end-up roughly in line with the mains. The process of trying to fit the speaker into place, with two separate mounts needing to be marked out, was awkward enough to require a third hand, even though the speakers are light. I was not able to achieve the toe-in to the MLP that I was hoping for with the available space on the board in front of the casement, but I got things marked and my helper took off to attend to other matters. I got the first set of mounts in and was just about to place the speaker when I realized I had messed-up and had the speaker with the deeper side facing down when I had been doing my measuring, whereas, if the speaker is above the listener it is better to have the deeper side up. An annoying oversight as I would have been able to get more toe-in if I’d had it the proper way when marking things out. It was impractical to redo things with my helper gone so I just put them in place. Anyway, I bring it up as the design of the Mini Flex is meant to maximize its various different placement possibilities, but only if you place it the right way.

Most of my listening with these speakers has been as heights in my HT, and of that I would say they are largely unnoticeable, i.e. what I was hoping for. They don’t mesh perfectly, but as near as I had any reason to hope. There were a few times after I first installed the first pair that I turned whatever I was watching down as it seemed I was straining them, but it may have just been that the extra SPL from the two extra sources might have just been too much for the room. It hasn’t seemed to be an ongoing issue.

As I was quite satisfied with the first pair, I ordered another two and installed them as Rear Heights, for a 7.1.4 system. Basically, they’ve taken everything I’ve thrown at them (including the Atmos soundtracks of the first two John Wick movies last week-end) while maintaining a seamless soundfield with my other speakers.

Before I put the second pair in place, I hooked them up in my second zone for something over the 50-hour break-in period Totem recommends, with the radio running through them when I wasn’t listening to music down there. I wanted to take the opportunity to listen to the speakers in a few different 2 and 2.1 channel set-ups. This didn’t quite work out as I hoped, but I did manage a reasonable amount of 2 channel (beyond what I had done in the second zone) and a solid chunk of 2.1.

I did a bit of listening with them hooked-up as the mains out of my 8500 in Pure Direct mode and then some of the same tracks through my Eskas, also in Pure Direct. The Mini Flexes are not in the same league as the Eskas in a few ways. One of those ways that makes it difficult to do a direct comparison is low frequency extension. While not full range the Eskas do provide nuanced bass into the mid-50hz region. My impression, though, is the Mini Flexes did an impressive job of holding their own in comparison in the frequency range in which they operate. Detail was comparable and they appear to be quite linear. They aren’t as smooth and nuanced as the Eskas, but those would be fair terms to use for them. They certainly don’t handle high, sharp sounds (which I’m starting to suspect I might be especially susceptible to) as well as the Eskas, which somehow seem to tame the piercing quality without dulling the sound, but that was also not much of an issue.

I had also picked-up a Paradigm PW-Amp (for use with the Martin Logans eventually and at a very nice price from Paradigms website) which I was eager to try with Mini Flexes as it seemed like the kind of amp a person trying to put together a 2.1 system with the Kin Mini series would reasonably use. When I finally got ARC up and running on the PW-Amp I ran it with the Mini-Flexes and my SVS PC-13 Ultra attached. Probably not the ideal sub for this particular scenario, but the only convenient option at the time.

Again, going with the most convenient option, I used JRiver to stream FLAC CD rips to the PW-Amp from my laptop. I noticed that I had a rip of Keyon Harrold’s The Mugician, which seemed like one of the more perfect albums to evaluate a music system. A well recorded and mastered Jazz based album with excursions into Reggae, Hip-hop, Ambient, and Blues all highlighted by Harrold’s amazing trumpet playing, reminiscent of Miles Davis in tone and dexterity. I listened to the whole album and quite enjoyed it. The Mini Flexes seemed to have no problem handling the many layers of sound, revealing the interplay between instruments, providing a detailed and three-dimensional image that extended beyond each speaker, handle the intricacies of fast playing without smearing, and revealing the luster of Harrold’s tone. I did find that there was a maximum volume in this set-up that was below what the room allows. At some point it started to sound harsh and backing off a little bit resolved that problem completely. I’m not sure if the issue there was with the speakers or the amp (I lean toward it being the amp), either way the volume I backed-off to was still quite loud, likely more than you’d be able to get away within an apartment, say, and that level did not detract from my enjoyment of the music. After the album was over, I threw together a quick playlist with pop, rock, classical, metal, jazz, folk in it and the speakers handled it all beautifully.

Somewhere in there I also managed to listen to a bit of the Mini Flexes through the PW-Amp without ARC and the sub and then hooked-up the Martin Logan 4is for a comparison. I didn’t like 4is in my HT but had thought they were a decent speaker on their own (had them in my second zone for a few days after I got them). In this very brief comparison, I found the Mini Flexes to be much more natural sounding and more detailed with greater clarity. The 4is do have a much more substantial low frequency extension and are more practical to be used without a sub but seemed to be of lower fidelity.

I had been hoping to do a bit more along this line, but implementing ARC had taken a stupid amount of time, including two calls to customer service (never was able to get it to work over the network) and getting everything ready for installing the Rear Heights had also taken extra time so I cut it short.

When using these speakers for two channel music I consistently found them to be enticing and involving. During the period I had them set-up in my second zone (an unfinished basement) I often found myself just standing there listening to them, even after I had finished whatever I was doing there. In a better room, with a sub and room correction applied, they were really spectacular. I don’t really know what other speakers in this price range are out there, but I find it unlikely that there are any that are better sounding, or even as good sounding. However, they really need something to reproduce the lower frequencies, so a more proper comparison would include the cost of a sub.

Morgan
RayGuy, BigAl87, Jonas2 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by morgiastic; 06-25-2019 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Formatting
post #1773 of 1810 Old 06-25-2019, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2791 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
^^^
Wow, great response!

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1774 of 1810 Old 06-25-2019, 08:00 AM

Yes! Thanks sooo much for all that detail. I'm most certainly putting these tops on my list. I'm slowly formulating my thoughts on a nice desktop system. Price is a concern and these would be at the upper limit. I'm also considering RSL CG3's if I decide I can't afford the Totem. Anyone have any nearfield experience with these?

I wish there was a dealer nearby to hear these but I guess that's what the home trial is all about.

Again, thanks for all the effort you put into your response.

Dan
post #1775 of 1810 Old 06-25-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Yes! Thanks sooo much for all that detail. I'm most certainly putting these tops on my list. I'm slowly formulating my thoughts on a nice desktop system. Price is a concern and these would be at the upper limit. I'm also considering RSL CG3's if I decide I can't afford the Totem. Anyone have any nearfield experience with these?

I wish there was a dealer nearby to hear these but I guess that's what the home trial is all about.

Dan

Hi Dan , I did not experience near filed with the Kin Mini but I do have Experience with them. I have experienced with the Totem Arro for nearfield experience and Totem likes to do that by setting the Arro 2 feet apart and you sitting right in the middle 2 feet away form the Arro creating an equilateral triangle. The Arro performs extremely well for that purpose and is also referred as the floorstanding headphones, looking at Totem's website, the recommended distance apart for the Kin Mini is 2-12 feet so it is safe to say they will perform very well in a nearfield setup.
doctors11 likes this.

Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST, Naim NAC 272 and 250 DR , Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo UDP203. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest, Display Panasonic CX-800U 65''
post #1776 of 1810 Old 06-25-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
Hi Dan , I did not experience near filed with the Kin Mini but I do have Experience with them. I have experienced with the Totem Arro for nearfield experience and Totem likes to do that by setting the Arro 2 feet apart and you sitting right in the middle 2 feet away form the Arro creating an equilateral triangle. The Arro performs extremely well for that purpose and is also referred as the floorstanding headphones, looking at Totem's website, the recommended distance apart for the Kin Mini is 2-12 feet so it is safe to say they will perform very well in a nearfield setup.
Thanks for that BigAl. After about 6 months of reading and research I think I've narrowed my choices to three different systems in three different price catagories. Low to high...RSL CG3 with matching center, Kin Mini's with Flex center, Amphion Helium 410's with Focal Dome Flax surrounds and no idea which center. That third one is wishful thinking!
post #1777 of 1810 Old 06-25-2019, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for that BigAl. After about 6 months of reading and research I think I've narrowed my choices to three different systems in three different price catagories. Low to high...RSL CG3 with matching center, Kin Mini's with Flex center, Amphion Helium 410's with Focal Dome Flax surrounds and no idea which center. That third one is wishful thinking!

As much as Amphion and Focal are well regarded speaker manufacturer, I would not mix and match the brands together like that specially if the center does not match fronts. ideally you want your system to work in synergy, as homogeneous as possible and bet the Kin Minis with their sub will sound nearly as good as the Focals and or Amphion mixed together and will work altogether beautifully.
doctors11 likes this.

Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST, Naim NAC 272 and 250 DR , Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo UDP203. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest, Display Panasonic CX-800U 65''

Last edited by BigAl87; 06-25-2019 at 06:29 PM.
post #1778 of 1810 Old 06-25-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Decided to move ahead and upgrade my surrounds, so I bought some Sky's will have them Friday.
Jonas2 likes this.

post #1779 of 1810 Old 06-25-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:

Dan

Thanks for the thanks, again, guys.
That doing what I wanted to do was going to take some time was one reason I hadn't dived into before I did. I did want to do my best to describe their sonic qualities, but there are professionals who are more capable of that, so I also wanted talk about the practicalities of installing them, etc.
Those RSLs were not in my consciousness, but I checked out their site and read a couple of reviews. Seems like they are probably pretty decent, I like the 1" tweeter.
One of the reviews I read indicated that they're a bit power hungry, too. What are you planning on driving these things with?
Morgan
doctors11 likes this.
post #1780 of 1810 Old 06-25-2019, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked: 2341
Quote:
Decided to move ahead and upgrade my surrounds, so I bought some Sky's will have them Friday.
Please put them through their paces as mains, then post your thoughts.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #1781 of 1810 Old 06-25-2019, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Please put them through their paces as mains, then post your thoughts.

Thanks Ray, that's the plan, I'll compare them to the X-18 I have also. They have a small footprint but I know they have a very capable drive with a 3 inch voicecoil.

post #1782 of 1810 Old 06-29-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the thanks, again, guys.
That doing what I wanted to do was going to take some time was one reason I hadn't dived into before I did. I did want to do my best to describe their sonic qualities, but there are professionals who are more capable of that, so I also wanted talk about the practicalities of installing them, etc.
Those RSLs were not in my consciousness, but I checked out their site and read a couple of reviews. Seems like they are probably pretty decent, I like the 1" tweeter.
One of the reviews I read indicated that they're a bit power hungry, too. What are you planning on driving these things with?
Morgan
I'm still trying to figure that out. I've had a Marantz NR 1403 in our living room home theater for about 7 years now. Took me awhile to figure out our first A/V receiver and all it's intricacies but finally got it zeroed in. I like the unit except for one really big problem. It cannot raise and lower the volume on the surround speakers while watching a movie or listening to multi channel music. I love being able to do that with the center channel and subwoofer. So my desktop system will be an A/V receiver that has that ability. Any suggestions?
post #1783 of 1810 Old 06-29-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure that out. I've had a Marantz NR 1403 in our living room home theater for about 7 years now. Took me awhile to figure out our first A/V receiver and all it's intricacies but finally got it zeroed in. I like the unit except for one really big problem. It cannot raise and lower the volume on the surround speakers while watching a movie or listening to multi channel music. I love being able to do that with the center channel and subwoofer. So my desktop system will be an A/V receiver that has that ability. Any suggestions?

budget?

My Anthem does it an y time I want I can adjust the speakers even if the movie or music is playing.

post #1784 of 1810 Old 06-29-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hooked up the Sky as front for now i shall take a picture later, So far they sounded pretty good oob but clearly had issue in the lower frequency spectrum, not expecting Extreme low frequencies but I know they will loosen up and sound more dynamic. Imaging is really really good and cabinet seems to be holding up well no audible resonance from the cabinet. I am happy with them.
Jonas2 likes this.

post #1785 of 1810 Old 06-29-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
budget?

My Anthem does it an y time I want I can adjust the speakers even if the movie or music is playing.
I'd love an Anthem but it's above my pay grade. Also I'm probably too technically challenged to do their room correction. So probably the least expensive Marantz, maybe Denon or Yamaha, that allows that feature and can drive 5 small speakers well.
post #1786 of 1810 Old 06-29-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'd love an Anthem but it's above my pay grade. Also I'm probably too technically challenged to do their room correction. So probably the least expensive Marantz, maybe Denon or Yamaha, that allows that feature and can drive 5 small speakers well.

I really like the Sound of the Aventage from Yamaha and i am sure the entry level Aventage would sound great with the kin setup, I am not sure if you'll be able to adjust the all speaker during playback.

post #1787 of 1810 Old 06-29-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I really like the Sound of the Aventage from Yamaha and i am sure the entry level Aventage would sound great with the kin setup, I am not sure if you'll be able to adjust the all speaker during playback.
Thanks, I'll look into that.
post #1788 of 1810 Old 06-29-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good luck. Out of curiosity, I did a cursory view of the manuals for Yamaha, Marantz, Denon, and Integra(Onkyo) ... none of them appears to have that ability (on the fly).

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-29-2019 at 02:33 PM.
post #1789 of 1810 Old 06-29-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Good luck. Out of curiosity, I did a cursory view of the manuals for Yamaha, Marantz, Denon, and Integra(Onkyo) ... none of them appears to have that ability (on the fly).
Thanks for that RayGuy. I just read through the manual for the least expensive Yamaha Aventage and it didn't seem to have that ability. I'll keep looking.

By the way, sorry to derail this thread, you guys have been very helpful.
post #1790 of 1810 Old 06-29-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:

To be honest I haven't been that clued into the HT world for a number of years. Truth is I might well have gone with an NAD receiver instead of the 8500, knowing what I know now. I had been thinking Anthem, but the 8500 seemed more up to date and future proof. Hard to be more future proof than NADs module approach, though. The does 8500 kick ass, though.
What is your purpose for this set-up, and what are you using for a source?
Morgan
post #1791 of 1810 Old 06-29-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I've only used Audyssey and ARC, but using them requires next to no technical ability. They do allow those so inclined to make more detailed adjustments, but that's not necessary.
Morgan.
post #1792 of 1810 Old 06-29-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
To be honest I haven't been that clued into the HT world for a number of years. Truth is I might well have gone with an NAD receiver instead of the 8500, knowing what I know now. I had been thinking Anthem, but the 8500 seemed more up to date and future proof. Hard to be more future proof than NADs module approach, though. The does 8500 kick ass, though.
What is your purpose for this set-up, and what are you using for a source?
Morgan
The purpose of the set-up is to be able to listen to mostly multi channel music (SACD, DVD-Audio, Bluray Audio), along with some live concerts, occasional movies and Youtube vids, in my office/desktop. I like the idea of nearfield listening and have fallen in love with the idea of well mastered multi channel music. I'm also trying to learn a little about classical music and enjoy when the NPR host of the classical time slot gives some background to a piece before playing it so having the built in FM tuner will be nice.

The source will be a universal Bluray player. I have an Oppo 203 in our living room so I'm keeping my eyes open for something like that in this system.
post #1793 of 1810 Old 06-29-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
The purpose of the set-up is to be able to listen to mostly multi channel music (SACD, DVD-Audio, Bluray Audio), along with some live concerts, occasional movies and Youtube vids, in my office/desktop. I like the idea of nearfield listening and have fallen in love with the idea of well mastered multi channel music. I'm also trying to learn a little about classical music and enjoy when the NPR host of the classical time slot gives some background to a piece before playing it so having the built in FM tuner will be nice.

The source will be a universal Bluray player. I have an Oppo 203 in our living room so I'm keeping my eyes open for something like that in this system.
You're probably going to have to go used for the player, so you might if you can find an used amp with the capabilities you're looking for. You don't need the latest stuff for what you want to do.
Morgan.
post #1794 of 1810 Old 06-29-2019, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for that RayGuy. I just read through the manual for the least expensive Yamaha Aventage and it didn't seem to have that ability. I'll keep looking.
If you had a receiver with pre-outs, you could route the rears to a separate amp, one with a remote-capable volume control, then your only task would be to teach some learning remote two sets of volume control commands (or get a receiver that has a remote with learning ability).

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-29-2019 at 07:55 PM.
post #1795 of 1810 Old 06-30-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I like the unit except for one really big problem. It cannot raise and lower the volume on the surround speakers while watching a movie or listening to multi channel music. I love being able to do that with the center channel and subwoofer. So my desktop system will be an A/V receiver that has that ability. Any suggestions?
Quote:

Yeah, the Anthem will do what you want it to. I doubt ARC is beyond you - I'm sure your technical skills are just fine, and if not, you have tremendous support on this forum as well as Anthem direct (and they have great phone support and email as well).

Pricey - yes. Look for an open-box unit, and keep an eye on Anthem - they run deals/trade-ins from time to time.

Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #1796 of 1810 Old 07-05-2019, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I’m looking to upgrade my home theater speakers and I’m really leaning towards Totems. The room is roughly 25’ wide by 18’ deep. It’s an open concept going into the kitchen/dining area, so there’s no back wall.

My current 7.2.2 system is made up of:
• Marantz SR6011
• Monitor Audio IWA-250 powering 2 IWS-10 subs
• 2 MartinLogan Motion SLM as L & R channels
• MartinLogin Motion 8 center channel
• 2 Polk Audio 80F/X-RT rear surrounds
• 2 Polk Audio 80F/X-RT surrounds
• 2 Polk Audio RC60i height

The setup works out well for tv and movies, but I feel it lacks when it comes to music playback, so I was interested in upgrading.

Here are my thoughts on the Totem replacements:
• Swap out the ML SLMs with Totem Tribe III’s for L & R
o I’d like the Tribe V’s but I think they’d be a bit too tall next to the tv
• Swap out all the Polk 80F/X-RT surrounds with Totem KIN IC82s
o The existing Polks don’t do very well in multichannel stereo

I figure I’d keep the RC60i height speakers for the moment, they aren’t pushed that much with playback but I would consider upgrading those too.

I could use some recommendations for the center channel, wasn’t sure which would sound the best with the Tribe III's. I was considering 3 options for the center:
1. Another Tribe III
2. A Tribe V
3. Model 1 Center

Any feedback/recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.
post #1797 of 1810 Old 07-05-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROHM View Post
I’m looking to upgrade my home theater speakers and I’m really leaning towards Totems. The room is roughly 25’ wide by 18’ deep. It’s an open concept going into the kitchen/dining area, so there’s no back wall.

My current 7.2.2 system is made up of:
• Marantz SR6011
• Monitor Audio IWA-250 powering 2 IWS-10 subs
• 2 MartinLogan Motion SLM as L & R channels
• MartinLogin Motion 8 center channel
• 2 Polk Audio 80F/X-RT rear surrounds
• 2 Polk Audio 80F/X-RT surrounds
• 2 Polk Audio RC60i height

The setup works out well for tv and movies, but I feel it lacks when it comes to music playback, so I was interested in upgrading.

Here are my thoughts on the Totem replacements:
• Swap out the ML SLMs with Totem Tribe III’s for L & R
o I’d like the Tribe V’s but I think they’d be a bit too tall next to the tv
• Swap out all the Polk 80F/X-RT surrounds with Totem KIN IC82s
o The existing Polks don’t do very well in multichannel stereo

I figure I’d keep the RC60i height speakers for the moment, they aren’t pushed that much with playback but I would consider upgrading those too.

I could use some recommendations for the center channel, wasn’t sure which would sound the best with the Tribe III's. I was considering 3 options for the center:
1. Another Tribe III
2. A Tribe V
3. Model 1 Center

Have you considered Tribe tower? why go with on wall for Music playback? I mean Tribes are possible speaker on wall but i feel the towers sound better, as for the center there is not better match for tribes than another tribe, i would say go for Tribe III center, it is what i use with my Fires. I prefer the performance of my Model One center for off axis but it would not be the best match for the Tribes unless wot went with Forest Signature for your fronts then that would be fanatstic match. As for the Surrounds I like the in ceiling Kin idea.

post #1798 of 1810 Old 07-05-2019, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

1. Another Tribe III
2. A Tribe V
3. Model 1 Center

I'd also take a look at the Tribe Tower. I've never been able to side by side them, but the towers are amazing, as are the IIIs. While I couldn't do them side by side, so it could be in my imagination, but I thought the Tower had a unique presence - it was more "there" (in a good way) than the on-walls. I don't know if that makes sense? I'm going to contribute this to the cabinet design, at least in part.

I did however have a chance to experience Tribe III as L/R and Tribe V as center at my local dealer - it was just stunning. I've not heard the III as a center, and while I think it'd be fine, you couldn't go wrong with the V. The center channel is arguably the most important speaker in a home theater arrangement, so I don't think it'd be a bad choice going V for center.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #1799 of 1810 Old 07-05-2019, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Have you considered Tribe tower? why go with on wall for Music playback? I mean Tribes are possible speaker on wall but i feel the towers sound better, as for the center there is not better match for tribes than another tribe, i would say go for Tribe III center, it is what i use with my Fires. I prefer the performance of my Model One center for off axis but it would not be the best match for the Tribes unless wot went with Forest Signature for your fronts then that would be fanatstic match. As for the Surrounds I like the in ceiling Kin idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
I'd also take a look at the Tribe Tower. I've never been able to side by side them, but the towers are amazing, as are the IIIs. While I couldn't do them side by side, so it could be in my imagination, but I thought the Tower had a unique presence - it was more "there" (in a good way) than the on-walls. I don't know if that makes sense? I'm going to contribute this to the cabinet design, at least in part.

I did however have a chance to experience Tribe III as L/R and Tribe V as center at my local dealer - it was just stunning. I've not heard the III as a center, and while I think it'd be fine, you couldn't go wrong with the V. The center channel is arguably the most important speaker in a home theater arrangement, so I don't think it'd be a bad choice going V for center.

I wish I could go with towers but I'm afraid the wife won't go for those. She's ok with the on wall and in ceiling setup I've currently got. I've attached a pic of the tv wall below for reference.

Unfortunately where we live (south Texas) there isn't a Totem dealer nearby, I think the closest is about 3 hours away. I'd really like to compare the Tribe III vs the V as a center. I do agree with you, I figure the V might be a good center channel with the III's as L & R since it'll handle most of the sound when watching movies/tv.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6746.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	2587934  
post #1800 of 1810 Old 07-06-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wish I could go with towers but I'm afraid the wife won't go for those. She's ok with the on wall and in ceiling setup I've currently got. I've attached a pic of the tv wall below for reference.

Unfortunately where we live (south Texas) there isn't a Totem dealer nearby, I think the closest is about 3 hours away. I'd really like to compare the Tribe III vs the V as a center. I do agree with you, I figure the V might be a good center channel with the III's as L & R since it'll handle most of the sound when watching movies/tv.

Thanks for the help!

Ok I can totally see why she would not want you to go with towers specially with the way the room is setup, although the Tribe Towere are very tiny I do not think they would integrate very well in your room, Agreed the Tribe V can totally work as your center. What is the height of the TV?

Maybe you coud use the V as L and R also.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics Cmt 340 Se Center , totem acoustic tribe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page