Totem Acoustic Owner's Thread - Page 62 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 228Likes

post #1831 of 1851 Old 09-18-2019, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Found this...

https://novo.press/totem-launches-ki...helf-speakers/

$200 price increase over the Mini.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 1851 Old 09-18-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctors11 View Post
Found this...

https://novo.press/totem-launches-ki...helf-speakers/

$200 price increase over the Mini.

Well it is a larger Monitor yes still a 4" driver but way more low end extension. Yeah Totems don't come cheap but this is newer and better speaker, I guess people were bummed out when they saw the DC was discontinued and saw the Kin.

It's certainly not for all purses, Agreed with you. Chances are you will still need a sub anyways but 25hz lower in some cases you might be able to get away without one. Who knows?

I thibnk that might just be the answer Some people wished they can get good speakers without a sub but do not need all the bottom end but felt the Kin had no bass what so ever so were just ignoring it because of that.

Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST, Naim NAC 272 and 250 DR , Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo UDP203. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest, Display Panasonic CX-800U 65''
post #1833 of 1851 Old 09-19-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
No amp I could find fit the 6" x 6-1/2" place on the sub. Even the close-size ones were well under the 200w rating of the failed Bash amp. I capitulated and went with the Dayton Audio SPA250DSP plate amp as I have one on another (M&K V-90) sub and it's incredible, just $179.99 with free shipping. Added the matching frame box for $32.80. I had put a plate of the same over the back but below the twin ports. That meant the plate amp now hung below the bottom of the sub's cabinet. I had my son build a 3-1/2" riser out of 1/2" MDF, and it's now all dialed-in perfect. I'm still in for under the cost of a used Kin or Kin Mini with a total of $306.80, so not unhappy. And man, does this sub kick ass for it's size! I now have people from all over the facility (over 600 people there) coming to hear this, and all are shocked. I'm just smitten.

I love the innovation and creativity to make this happen, awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
They might also came uop with some nice lifestyle soundbars

https://totemacoustic.com/product-ca...s/solutionbar/

I saw these, I think this is a good play for Totem, given the way the world is going (at least where I live) with high density, compact housing where conventional speakers might not work out.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1834 of 1851 Old 09-19-2019, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3435 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
I love the innovation and creativity to make this happen, awesome!

Thank you!

When I set it up at home it seemed just "ok" but not great. I chalked that up to the larger room I was in. Where it is there's huge amounts of gain so I'm running at -8dB and may need to cut it back another dB or two.

That spot is mostly open in the back, so not a total enclosed area.

This the first Totem product I bought for myself and I end up re-engineering it. Oh well. There will be more because in a few years I need to move into our 1st floor apartment and rent out the larger one we're in now. That'll mean the smaller cabinets of Totem that generate incredible dynamic range are ideal. I'm thinking by then (7 years or so) it'll be something like the Tribe Tower, as I know well how stunning those diminutive little stalks really sound.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Installed_Dreamcatcher_sub.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	2617498  
BigAl87 likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
post #1835 of 1851 Old 09-24-2019, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hey friends,

What kind of a whole-home audio solution would you propose for me? I've got the A/V receivers covered (Marantz SR7013 for atmos TV room, and a 5.2 equivalent for outdoor future projector area that will be used for music for now). But what about my other 6-zones? So 12-channels in total. All speakers are Totem Kin IC82s, ceiling mounted. I typically use Tidal or Qobuz for streaming, and I'm sure my wife and guests will use a lower-fi solution as well. A/V guy was steering me towards an Elan smart home system, but I'm just not ready to bite the bullet for that. I've looked into Roon a bit, but honestly how that all works is still a bit unclear to me. Ideally it should be easy for anyone in my household to launch their favorite music app (or use a specific one like roon) and be able to toggle on and off the different rooms. I know many will recommend Sonos, but my inclination is that using their amps would not be giving me the best value for the speakers that I purchased.

Rooms are as follows:

Great room - 6 speakers, 3 zones. 1000sqft room, vaulted ceiling, 2 speakers mounted at 10' flat, other 4 mounted at ~20' pitched.
Spare bedroom/gym/flex room - 2 speakers, 1 zone, 10' flat
Master Bed - 2 speakers, 1 zone, 12' flat
Master Bath - - 2 speakers, 1 zone, 10' flat

It would also be nice for the time being for it to work nicely from an end user standpoint with whatever I choose to get for the outdoor patio (5.2 Monitor CP-WT380IDC + HRSIW8). Having that as another "zone" to choose from would be great.

I will need both a network streamer, zone controller (?), and amplification. My A/V guy has been kind of a prick lately, and is basically telling me to buy the whole hog or go elsewhere, so I'm planning on going elsewhere Thanks in advance!
post #1836 of 1851 Old 09-24-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2852 Post(s)
Liked: 2620
Run this off the Marantz Zone 2 output. It has everything you could possibly want in a zone amp:

http://www.parasound.com/650.php
BigAl87 and DanishDevil like this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #1837 of 1851 Old 09-26-2019, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Looking at the Tribe III and V for a Centre Speaker. Has anybody attached one these to a speaker mount that is attached to the TV mount. I was wondering if it could be attached to one of those Drop Down mounts (dynamic mounting) that TVs over the fireplace are attached to so that when the mount drops the TV down in front of the fireplace to the right height for viewing the speaker goes down with it? If so, which mounts have you used? I emailed Dynamic Mounting to see if their mount would fit but they could not say for sure?

Thanks in advance.

HT Room: Anthem AVM60 (replaced Marantz AV7005 & Parasound Halo C2), Parasound Halo A51 & A23, Monitor Audio GR60, GR Centre, GR10, GSFX, SVS SB-4000, Sony 75X900e, PS4

Family Room: Yamaha RX-A2060, PSB Imagine T2, Imagine Centre, Imagine B, Oppo Digital BDP-80, Samsung QN65Q7CN
post #1838 of 1851 Old 09-26-2019, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 352
I attended a show yesterday at our local specialty A/V store called Gramophone in Timonium MD at which Vince Bruzzese (founder of Totem Acoustics) gave a demo of the Element Metal V2 speakers. He had them set up in a stereo 2-channel system without the use of a subwoofer. He used McIntosh gear to power the speakers and streamed Hi-Rez music from Tidal. It was my first time hearing these speakers and I thought that they were brilliant. I've previously heard Totem's bookshelf speakers and always thought that they were great value. While the Element Metal V2's are not exactly inexpensive, they definitely sounded as good as (if not better than) some speakers costing 3-4 times as much that I've heard at Capitol Audiofest in the Washington DC area. Vince gave a great talk during the demo and I encourage anyone who gets the opportunity to go and see/hear him introduce his products. Highly recommended and definitely two thumbs up.

Cal68
BigAl87 likes this.

Cal68
post #1839 of 1851 Old 09-26-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post
I attended a show yesterday at our local specialty A/V store called Gramophone in Timonium MD at which Vince Bruzzese (founder of Totem Acoustics) gave a demo of the Element Metal V2 speakers. He had them set up in a stereo 2-channel system without the use of a subwoofer. He used McIntosh gear to power the speakers and streamed Hi-Rez music from Tidal. It was my first time hearing these speakers and I thought that they were brilliant. I've previously heard Totem's bookshelf speakers and always thought that they were great value. While the Element Metal V2's are not exactly inexpensive, they definitely sounded as good as (if not better than) some speakers costing 3-4 times as much that I've heard at Capitol Audiofest in the Washington DC area. Vince gave a great talk during the demo and I encourage anyone who gets the opportunity to go and see/hear him introduce his products. Highly recommended and definitely two thumbs up.

Cal68

Hi Cal, Vince is truly passionate about it, I own the V1 version of the Fire and truly the speakers are phenomenal, except now they have improved the voice coil, the magnet structure and also put in a larger dust cap on the driver. If recall they also reworked the tweeter as well as the cross-over of the tweeter. Over all they got better frequency response better transparency as well.

I have yet to listen to the V2 but I'm affraid if I do I will want to upgrade my Mk1s to Mk2s

Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST, Naim NAC 272 and 250 DR , Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo UDP203. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest, Display Panasonic CX-800U 65''
post #1840 of 1851 Old 09-26-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
I have yet to listen to the V2 but I'm affraid if I do I will want to upgrade my Mk1s to Mk2s
I can definitely see that being a problem. The V2 was exceptional. They had a few other speakers (who shall remain unnamed) at the show but the V2 was the standout IMHO. I'd seriously consider buying a pair if I could afford it.

Cal68

Cal68

Last edited by Cal68; 09-26-2019 at 12:53 PM.
post #1841 of 1851 Old 09-27-2019, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post

Cal68
I was at the same event and second everything said above. My wife and I enjoyed his enthusiasm and presentation ALMOST as much as the demo. This was the first time I have heard the metals and while I own a couple pairs of Tribe III's these guys are on a different level. Highly recommend giving them a listen if you have an opportunity.
post #1842 of 1851 Old 09-27-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon SS View Post
Looking at the Tribe III and V for a Centre Speaker. Has anybody attached one these to a speaker mount that is attached to the TV mount. I was wondering if it could be attached to one of those Drop Down mounts (dynamic mounting) that TVs over the fireplace are attached to so that when the mount drops the TV down in front of the fireplace to the right height for viewing the speaker goes down with it? If so, which mounts have you used? I emailed Dynamic Mounting to see if their mount would fit but they could not say for sure?

Thanks in advance.

No experience like you mentioned, sorry! But, I'd also contact Totem and see what they have to say - they might have encountered this, sure wouldn't surprise me, and might have some solid recommendations for you. Worth a call!
Jon SS likes this.

Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #1843 of 1851 Old 09-27-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Ask the folks at Mantlemount, also try asking Totem. Most of these products have options for soundbar or center under the TV, but most don't seem to address the three speaker option. In any case, be sure the mount has a weight capability that includes the weight of all three speakers and any associated hardware plus the TV itself. A bit extra capacity is also recommended, as you want it to be able to handle the weight with ease.

Last edited by RayGuy; 09-27-2019 at 01:03 PM.
post #1844 of 1851 Old 09-27-2019, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Ask the folks at Mantlemount, also try asking Totem. most of these products have options for soundbar or center under the TV, but most don't seem to address the three speaker option. in any case, be sure the mount has a weight capability that includes the weight of all three speakers and any associated hardware plus the TV itself. A bit extra capacity is also recommended, as you want it be able to handle the weight with ease.
It seems like the dynamic mounts have a max weight of 90lbs, mantlemounts unto 125lbs. My 75" is already 70lbs and the Tribe III is 30lbs and Tribe V 40lbs.

HT Room: Anthem AVM60 (replaced Marantz AV7005 & Parasound Halo C2), Parasound Halo A51 & A23, Monitor Audio GR60, GR Centre, GR10, GSFX, SVS SB-4000, Sony 75X900e, PS4

Family Room: Yamaha RX-A2060, PSB Imagine T2, Imagine Centre, Imagine B, Oppo Digital BDP-80, Samsung QN65Q7CN

Last edited by Jon SS; 09-27-2019 at 01:05 PM.
post #1845 of 1851 Old 09-27-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It seems like the dynamic mounts have a max weight of 90lbs, mantlemounts unto 125lbs. My 75" is already 70lbs and the Tribe III is 30lbs and Tribe V 40lbs.
I researched this briefly and there seem to be no options in this weight range. So, I would consider using a mount that only carries the TV and the Tribe V. Then look at another placement option for the side speakers. Just out of curiosity, will you be swiveling the TV often or just watching straight on?

Another approach would be to not mount the TV over the fireplace. Are there other places the TV/speakers could be mounted and still be serviceable?

Last edited by RayGuy; 09-27-2019 at 01:24 PM.
post #1846 of 1851 Old 09-28-2019, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
I researched this briefly and there seem to be no options in this weight range. So, I would consider using a mount that only carries the TV and the Tribe V. Then look at another placement option for the side speakers. Just out of curiosity, will you be swiveling the TV often or just watching straight on?

Another approach would be to not mount the TV over the fireplace. Are there other places the TV/speakers could be mounted and still be serviceable?
Right now I am doing research as my wife is looking for a new house and all so far have had TV mounted over fireplaces with in ceiling speakers. Depending if we find a house, I may have to just remove the the fireplace so I can place the TV lower down and then can just mount the speaker on the wall. Most houses she has seen I have said no to because of really bad Tv and speaker placement issues both in the family room and basement! I can live with on walls for front (either separate LCR or a combined passive LCR speaker) and in ceiling rears in the family room, but not TV too high. Right now my family room has towers for front, and bookshelf for rear with a proper centre speaker and TV and good height.
Jonas2 likes this.

post #1847 of 1851 Old 09-28-2019, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Most houses she has seen I have said no to because of really bad Tv and speaker placement issues both in the family room and basement! I can live with on walls for front (either separate LCR or a combined passive LCR speaker) and in ceiling rears in the family room, but not TV too high. Right now my family room has towers for front, and bookshelf for rear with a proper centre speaker and TV and good height.

You've got your priorities right! Yeah, you don't want to take steps backwards if you can avoid it! The wife comes first of course, so brush up on those negotiation tactics....
Jon SS and KenM10759 like this.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #1848 of 1851 Old 09-28-2019, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You've got your priorities right! Yeah, you don't want to take steps backwards if you can avoid it! The wife comes first of course, so brush up on those negotiation tactics....

I am lucky she knows my hobbies/passions in life are Audio, video and martial arts! They are the only things that truly relieve all my stress, in fact my movie nights at the cinema are sacred (I am an opening weekend IMAX guy)! I told her if those are my only “vices” she is lucky ... which she agrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigAl87 and Jonas2 like this.

post #1849 of 1851 Old 09-28-2019, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3435 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Agreed!

The 'open concept' taste in homes of USA residents today are the bane of anyone enjoying good movie and/or music sound, and the TV over a fireplace is arguably the worst possible place to put one.

Anyone thinking ahead to avoid those things so they may better-enjoy their passions is very smart.
Jon SS, BigAl87 and Jonas2 like this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
post #1850 of 1851 Old 10-10-2019, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishDevil View Post
Hey friends,

What kind of a whole-home audio solution would you propose for me? I've got the A/V receivers covered (Marantz SR7013 for atmos TV room, and a 5.2 equivalent for outdoor future projector area that will be used for music for now). But what about my other 6-zones? So 12-channels in total. All speakers are Totem Kin IC82s, ceiling mounted. I typically use Tidal or Qobuz for streaming, and I'm sure my wife and guests will use a lower-fi solution as well. A/V guy was steering me towards an Elan smart home system, but I'm just not ready to bite the bullet for that. I've looked into Roon a bit, but honestly how that all works is still a bit unclear to me. Ideally it should be easy for anyone in my household to launch their favorite music app (or use a specific one like roon) and be able to toggle on and off the different rooms. I know many will recommend Sonos, but my inclination is that using their amps would not be giving me the best value for the speakers that I purchased.

Rooms are as follows:

Great room - 6 speakers, 3 zones. 1000sqft room, vaulted ceiling, 2 speakers mounted at 10' flat, other 4 mounted at ~20' pitched.
Spare bedroom/gym/flex room - 2 speakers, 1 zone, 10' flat
Master Bed - 2 speakers, 1 zone, 12' flat
Master Bath - - 2 speakers, 1 zone, 10' flat

It would also be nice for the time being for it to work nicely from an end user standpoint with whatever I choose to get for the outdoor patio (5.2 Monitor CP-WT380IDC + HRSIW8). Having that as another "zone" to choose from would be great.

I will need both a network streamer, zone controller (?), and amplification. My A/V guy has been kind of a prick lately, and is basically telling me to buy the whole hog or go elsewhere, so I'm planning on going elsewhere Thanks in advance!
Danish Devil... it looks like nobody has really answered your question. Perhaps it was too OT in this thread.

But based on what you've mentioned I would have two (obvious) recommendations:
1) Bluesound Powernode 2i, or
2) Sonos Amp

These are the two biggest names in multi room audio hardware and are both highly regarded. Both have passable music apps that will allow you to stream from a local library (or NAS) plus your favorite streaming services. Both will also integrate with Roon if you prefer a slicker front end software (the advantage of Roon is that you add music to a "single" library and so it is easier to navigate and also discover new music). From what you've stated... I'd lean toward bluesound for two reasons: 1) it does full hi-res... given you have tidal and qobuz, I'm guessing this is important to you. Sonos will only do up to CD quality streaming. 2) the implementation in Roon is better/more flexible with Bluesound. Sonos uses its own protocol so it will only pair with Sonos products. Bluesound uses the Roon protocol (they are "RoonReady") so if you want to mix other RoonReady hardware into your system in the future, you can and you can group rooms together from the Roon app.

I'm a Roon/Qobuz/Tidal/Bluesound guy myself with some Totem speakers, so I have my bias of course... but if you were not a hi-res person and hadn't mentioned Roon... then I could just as easily steer you to Sonos, as I've had both (their software is easier to set up and use than Bluesound)
post #1851 of 1851 Old 10-13-2019, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckers View Post
Danish Devil... it looks like nobody has really answered your question. Perhaps it was too OT in this thread.

But based on what you've mentioned I would have two (obvious) recommendations:
1) Bluesound Powernode 2i, or
2) Sonos Amp

These are the two biggest names in multi room audio hardware and are both highly regarded. Both have passable music apps that will allow you to stream from a local library (or NAS) plus your favorite streaming services. Both will also integrate with Roon if you prefer a slicker front end software (the advantage of Roon is that you add music to a "single" library and so it is easier to navigate and also discover new music). From what you've stated... I'd lean toward bluesound for two reasons: 1) it does full hi-res... given you have tidal and qobuz, I'm guessing this is important to you. Sonos will only do up to CD quality streaming. 2) the implementation in Roon is better/more flexible with Bluesound. Sonos uses its own protocol so it will only pair with Sonos products. Bluesound uses the Roon protocol (they are "RoonReady") so if you want to mix other RoonReady hardware into your system in the future, you can and you can group rooms together from the Roon app.

I'm a Roon/Qobuz/Tidal/Bluesound guy myself with some Totem speakers, so I have my bias of course... but if you were not a hi-res person and hadn't mentioned Roon... then I could just as easily steer you to Sonos, as I've had both (their software is easier to set up and use than Bluesound)
I appreciate your direct response! I definitely want higher fidelity than Sonos, so I started looking at BluOS closely. I'm currently thinking of staying Roon Ready with BluOS devices. My multi-zone streamer will most likely be an NAD CI580, possibly with a Parasound 1250 amp. Outdoor speakers may be powered by a cheaper NAD receiver since it's only 5.2 out there, but the media room may stick with a Marantz or Anthem receiver. Seems like I can't get an all-in-one solution from NAD for 5.2.4 with 9 amps, so possibly putting ROCK on a NUC and using HDMI as a multi-channel audio input into the Marantz may enable me to play any multi-channel files to the non-roon-ready receiver in that room. I'm also trying to stay capable for the newly announced Atmos Music, which will probably mainly be offered through Amazon Music HD. Who knows whether that will be roon ready at some point, but here's hoping! Let me know if you think I'm missing something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics Cmt 340 Se Center , totem acoustic tribe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page