The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread - Page 316 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 392Likes

post #9451 of 10058 Old 04-22-2015, 05:27 PM
PAD
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in the D View Post
I would really like to attend the Axpona Show! Chicago is just a short ways down 94.
This Show might be my best opportunity to hear Salk speakers for the first time.
Jeff
Jeff, you should go. The small rooms are not great, but at lower levels you can quickly decide which tickles your fancy more. I'm in Kzoo now so only a 2.5 hour drive for me. I'm going Friday AM.

Chicago show is getting bigger every year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9452 of 10058 Old 04-28-2015, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Some of the best things in life can result from less-than-ideal circumstances.

A customer recently ordered a pair of WOW1's to match his furniture. He sent some pictures and it was to be an easy match - burled maple with an orange/brown dye.

About two weeks after we took the order, I noticed a pair of WOW1's in quilted maple getting ready to proceed to the finishing line. I didn't recall taking an order for that combination recently, so I asked the guys what that pair was. It turned out to be the pair that was supposed to be veneered in burled maple. Since they were already veneered and it was impractical to re-veneer them, I told them to go ahead and build a new pair with the correct veneer.

But since we had this pair, I told the guys to finish them in our double-dye process which involves spraying them completely in black dye and then sanding off the black. Where the wood is hard, the black sands off easily. Where it is soft, some of the black remains. Later, when you spray color, the contrast is much greater than if you had not sprayed the black initially. It is a really nice effect.

About a week and half later Robert, our sander, came to me and asked if the cabinet he was working on was right. It was burled maple, but it had a lot of grays and blacks in it. I asked him what it was. He said he had sprayed it black just like the other pair.

Well, realizing it would be impossible to sand all of the black out, I told them to go ahead a build a third pair...this time with the right veneer and no black (which they did). But as I looked at that particular pair, it seemed as if they might look pretty nice if finished. So I told them to go ahead and finish those anyway.

The results were some of the nicest looking speakers we have ever done. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I fell in love with that finish and immediately ordered another batch of maple burl to do a set of floor-standing speakers in that finish. I just have to decide which model to build.

Here are some pictures...

And a shot showing the side panel...

I like these so much, I haven't decided if I will sell them or keep them.

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9453 of 10058 Old 04-28-2015, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Wow! Absolutely spectacular. If I ever have the good fortune of being able to upgrade my ST's, this is the finish I want.

Jim, you've outdone yourself this time.

HT:: Salk SongTwr-Raal / SongCtr-Raal / SongSurr ; Rythmik F12 (x2) (my latest Dialing-in Guide); Denon 4520; ATI AT522NC; Oppo BDP93; Panny 65VT50; BJCables; CCast; Roku Ultra; Furman; Omnimic
CANS:: RPi>Soekris DAC1541 > LCD2C :: RPi>AGD DAC19 >Cavalli LC > MrSpeakers AFC & HE400i & HD569 :: RPi3 > Bifrost 4490 > Valhalla >HD600 & HD6XX :: RPi > Mimby >Schiit Vali 2 >Meze 99 Classics & Oppo PM3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9454 of 10058 Old 04-28-2015, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 876
So does salk have a showroom setup somewhere in order for folks to demo? Do folks just arbtrarily order a model + finish?

What is the general concept of this company and whatnot? Just trying to get a simple concept of their business without reading a 1000 thread pages...
post #9455 of 10058 Old 04-28-2015, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 773
No showroom. Jim does several audio shows per year but most potential customers contact current customers for a demo. You can contact Jim or post your city/state and find out what models are near you. You can also visit the Salk thread on Audiocircle which has an owners thread where they post models by city/state. Amazing speakers. Good luck on your journey.
post #9456 of 10058 Old 04-28-2015, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #9457 of 10058 Old 04-28-2015, 04:57 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
So does salk have a showroom setup somewhere in order for folks to demo? Do folks just arbtrarily order a model + finish?

What is the general concept of this company and whatnot? Just trying to get a simple concept of their business without reading a 1000 thread pages...
Like many ID (Internet Direct) companies Salk Sound rely on word of mouth via the internet. I've read so many good reviews from individuals and a few professional reviews with nary a negative word that I decided to buy a pair of the song towers. I was fortunate in finding a used pair for sale at a great price and since I'm retired AND a cheap retired bastard at that I bought them sight unseen/unheard. They are 4 years old but sound and look brand new. One tower had to make a detour to Salk for a corner repair which looks great after the fix. The fireburst curly cherry is one awesome looking speaker that just happens to sound as good as it looks.

Normally I would recommend anyone shopping for speakers to audition them but you can't with these. Unless you find someone near you willing to give you a listen to their speakers. What continues to astound me is the bass these 5" drivers are able to reproduce. Subs have never sounded natural to me and then there is that nasty distortion that many subs produce. Not so with the ST's - I can almost see the vibrations of the cello as the bow is drawn across the strings. I certainly can feel it!

Yamaha A-S1000 Int. Amp - Salk SongTowers - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 - Emo XDA-2 DAC
Multi-Channel: Yamaha RX-A2070 - Custom One-Off Selah Audio Center - Emo ERD-1 Surrounds
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #9458 of 10058 Old 04-28-2015, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post
Like many ID (Internet Direct) companies Salk Sound rely on word of mouth via the internet. I've read so many good reviews from individuals and a few professional reviews with nary a negative word that I decided to buy a pair of the song towers. I was fortunate in finding a used pair for sale at a great price and since I'm retired AND a cheap retired bastard at that I bought them sight unseen/unheard. They are 4 years old but sound and look brand new. One tower had to make a detour to Salk for a corner repair which looks great after the fix. The fireburst curly cherry is one awesome looking speaker that just happens to sound as good as it looks.

Normally I would recommend anyone shopping for speakers to audition them but you can't with these. Unless you find someone near you willing to give you a listen to their speakers. What continues to astound me is the bass these 5" drivers are able to reproduce. Subs have never sounded natural to me and then there is that nasty distortion that many subs produce. Not so with the ST's - I can almost see the vibrations of the cello as the bow is drawn across the strings. I certainly can feel it!
I would point you to my project of 4 DIY corner subwoofers with dual 15" drivers. Powered with seemingly limitless 2500 watts per channel... they sound nothing short of epic and are very reasonable to produce in your garage. Anyone who hasn't heard subs done "right", usually have spent too much time with smaller subs and insufficient number of subwoofer locations. As an example, no store demo that I have ever heard has gotten subwoofers setup correctly.

I shudder and weep now every time someone says they can't get subs to sound natural. It can most definitely be done!

Blazar!
post #9459 of 10058 Old 04-28-2015, 08:28 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
I would point you to my project of 4 DIY corner subwoofers with dual 15" drivers. Powered with seemingly limitless 2500 watts per channel... they sound nothing short of epic and are very reasonable to produce in your garage. Anyone who hasn't heard subs done "right", usually have spent too much time with smaller subs and insufficient number of subwoofer locations. As an example, no store demo that I have ever heard has gotten subwoofers setup correctly.

I shudder and weep now every time someone says they can't get subs to sound natural. It can most definitely be done!
I certainly didn't mean to cause you to weep!

We may be talking apples and oranges here - my focus is 2 channel. I don't need 4 15" subs to get great stereo music. For multi channel - hell yeah. I'm all for that.

For the past 5 years I've been using a pair of DIY 12" sealed subs each with a Peerless XXLS driver with a 250w plate amp each in conjunction with a pair of Emotiva ERT towers with dual 8" drivers. Each DIY sub is in a sealed 46L cabinet. They drop off after 28hz rather fast. When I had a Harman Kardon HK990 integrated 2 channel amp with built in room correction it was probably as good as it gets for 2 channel for me until I got the ST's. I should have kept that 990. Prior to that I used various versions of Audyssey powered preamp processors - an Onkyo Sc885 with XT - an Onkyo NR818 receiver with XT32 - and an Integra DHC 40.1 with standard MultEq. The NR818 probably did the better job amongst these - and the 885 wasn't bad at all. The Integra - blah!

What I'm saying is I've found the ST's to be the best balanced speaker I've ever owned and they do not need a sub. I've owned lots of speakers. One pair that were good with bass was the Infinity IL50's - each tower had a 10" 250w bass/sub. Without proper setup they sounded horrible! But Infinity had a setup kit that came with the speakers called RABOS. Basically its an SPL meter CD and a set of charts that give you instructions to set them up. It worked pretty good.

I've had a lot of experience with subs and without subs. I love bass - what I'm saying is ST's need no sub and the sound is as natural as anything I've ever heard. Period! If I add a sub it would only give unnatural bass - I'm not looking to mess with what I have.

For multi channel I have one more sub - an Elemental Designs A5-350 with a 15" driver. I have a smallish living room (no theater) and that A5 rattles the stove in the kitchen. With help from the pair of DIY subs of course. Quite enough IMO for great LFE!

Yamaha A-S1000 Int. Amp - Salk SongTowers - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 - Emo XDA-2 DAC
Multi-Channel: Yamaha RX-A2070 - Custom One-Off Selah Audio Center - Emo ERD-1 Surrounds
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #9460 of 10058 Old 05-09-2015, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hopefully I will be able to pull the trigger on a pair of songtowers in a couple months, any other members here had a good experience with the standard songtowers? And if so , what other speakers did you consider before ordering your songtowers?

Last edited by 0425antgray; 05-09-2015 at 09:49 AM.
post #9461 of 10058 Old 05-09-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0425antgray View Post
Hopefully I will be able to pull the trigger on a pair of songtowers in a couple months, any other members here had a good experience with the standard songtowers? And if so , what other speakers did you consider before ordering your songtowers?
Just curious how the songtowers stack up to other comparable speaker brands.
post #9462 of 10058 Old 05-09-2015, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
We (the royal "we") bought them over other brands. Other brands (not all) are good too, it's just that you have to spend considerably more to get to the same level on the ST. Where do you live? Maybe someone can audition for you.
post #9463 of 10058 Old 05-09-2015, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I would suggest you spend some time over at the Audiocircle Salk thread, it's where most of the Salk action takes place.

Also, although a bit dated, Nuance's Journey thread and FunkMonkey's Speakerquest threads are still great reading.

HTH.

HT:: Salk SongTwr-Raal / SongCtr-Raal / SongSurr ; Rythmik F12 (x2) (my latest Dialing-in Guide); Denon 4520; ATI AT522NC; Oppo BDP93; Panny 65VT50; BJCables; CCast; Roku Ultra; Furman; Omnimic
CANS:: RPi>Soekris DAC1541 > LCD2C :: RPi>AGD DAC19 >Cavalli LC > MrSpeakers AFC & HE400i & HD569 :: RPi3 > Bifrost 4490 > Valhalla >HD600 & HD6XX :: RPi > Mimby >Schiit Vali 2 >Meze 99 Classics & Oppo PM3
post #9464 of 10058 Old 05-10-2015, 01:32 AM

Thanks for the response guy's. I read some of the reviews in the links. Good stuff.

Last edited by 0425antgray; 05-10-2015 at 06:05 AM.
post #9465 of 10058 Old 05-10-2015, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
The short answer is no other tower speaker in the $2000/pair price range came close to SongTowers. This was true when I bought them, and remains true today, although many more good competitors now exist.

Before I bought mine in 2007, I had heard various Monitor Audio, B&W, NHT, and Vandersteen tower speakers.

Read my owners impressions http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...gtowers.36600/.
post #9466 of 10058 Old 05-10-2015, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Swerdlow View Post
The short answer is no other tower speaker in the $2000/pair price range came close to SongTowers.
Heads up - with increase of cost of parts and wages comes increase of prices

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=134481.0
post #9467 of 10058 Old 05-10-2015, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I just bought a pair of HT3's in African Bubinga at a very good price. They are just beautiful to look at. I will pick them up on Friday. Now what to do with my HT2's. I may sell them or use them in another room or make them my surrounds. Pictures of the HT3's are are on the Salk audio circle site. They are Dick Morse's speakers in the speakers available now circle.

Thomas DiCecco
post #9468 of 10058 Old 05-11-2015, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiCecco View Post
I just bought a pair of HT3's in African Bubinga at a very good price. They are just beautiful to look at. I will pick them up on Friday. Now what to do with my HT2's. I may sell them or use them in another room or make them my surrounds. Pictures of the HT3's are are on the Salk audio circle site. They are Dick Morse's speakers in the speakers available now circle.
Those HT3s have a great looking veneer. I bet they sound as good as they look.

post #9469 of 10058 Old 05-12-2015, 10:02 AM

I'm happy to say I placed my order for the Songtowers ! I asked for curly cherry with deep rose / red dye finish.
post #9470 of 10058 Old 05-12-2015, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm happy to say I placed my order for the Songtowers ! I asked for curly cherry with deep rose / red dye finish.
Congrats!

Now comes the nervous anticipation and the continual refreshing of the build status web page. But it's all worth it.

BTW, nice choice on the veneer, it seems to be a pretty popular finish.
0425antgray likes this.

post #9471 of 10058 Old 05-14-2015, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Hi guys, I just order my new SS8's today with Jim in Mercedes Grey finish. I am excited with anticipation. I am upgrading from the HT2-TL. I used to own many fine speakers like Dynaudio C1 MKII, C4 MKII, Kef 205, Kef LS50, and so on. I loved each speaker especially my Dynaudio C4's. However, I love the sound of the SS8 too! I auditioned the SS8, with the help of Jim, got me connected with an owner. I was so impressed with the mids and the highs and the tight bass! Jim is an amazing man. Can't say enough these days how rare it these days to find a company with such good service. A conversation or two with Jim and an audition and I was sold! I am excited! Just thought I'd say hi

Last edited by don480; 05-14-2015 at 05:03 PM.
post #9472 of 10058 Old 05-14-2015, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Congrats Don480! I want to do the same thing some day. Please post pictures when they arrive.
post #9473 of 10058 Old 05-14-2015, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Congrats Don480! I want to do the same thing some day. Please post pictures when they arrive.
I will for sure
post #9474 of 10058 Old 05-17-2015, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Well I picked up my HT3's yesterday . A nice 810 miles round trip. The photos of these speakers in African Bubinga hardwood do not do them justice. In person they are just beautiful. In my 15x15 room they sound great. I am so glad I decided to buy them. I moved my HT2's to my office and they sound very good there. I was thinking of selling the HT2's but I now decided to keep them.

Thomas DiCecco
post #9475 of 10058 Old 05-18-2015, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiCecco View Post
Well I picked up my HT3's yesterday . A nice 810 miles round trip. The photos of these speakers in African Bubinga hardwood do not do them justice. In person they are just beautiful. In my 15x15 room they sound great. I am so glad I decided to buy them. I moved my HT2's to my office and they sound very good there. I was thinking of selling the HT2's but I now decided to keep them.

1) Pictures (please)
2) Were those speakers already "broken-in" or is that still ahead?
post #9476 of 10058 Old 05-18-2015, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterion View Post
1) Pictures (please)
2) Were those speakers already "broken-in" or is that still ahead?
The break-in period for Salk speakers is 15-30 minutes (according to the guy who builds them) so I imagine the second hand HT3s are broken in already. I second the request for pictures. I've seen the Bubinga before but it's such a beautiful wood I could look at it all day.

post #9477 of 10058 Old 05-18-2015, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

^^^^

I believe these are the speakers he purchased from dmorse (see post #9471 above).
MSchott likes this.

post #9478 of 10058 Old 05-22-2015, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalk View Post

I like these so much, I haven't decided if I will sell them or keep them.

- Jim
These are really cool Jim! Love those happy accidents!
outofprint likes this.

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest

Last edited by funkmonkey; 05-22-2015 at 05:33 PM.
post #9479 of 10058 Old 05-23-2015, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

laulau you are correct, those are the speakers that I purchased from Richard Morse. They sound great in my 15x15 room. The photos do not do them justice , in person they look much better.

Thomas DiCecco
post #9480 of 10058 Old 05-26-2015, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 311
T.H.E. Show - Newport

http://theshownewport.com/

Getting ready to shove off for The Show in Newport Beach, CA. This will be the first time we have shown in the LA area.

While at AXPONA, we were asked to supply speakers for this show. We will be showing the Exotica 3's and will be joined by Ginko Audio, Dana Cables, Lampizator (DAC) and Wells Audio (amplifier). It should be an interesting mix.

If you get a chance to attend, be sure and stop by and say hello. See you there!

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page