The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread - Page 323 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 399Likes

post #9661 of 10061 Old 05-15-2016, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Jim, will this speaker be at THE SHOW next month?
Last year I heard the Exotica 3(?) but in that small room I felt the bass was over-ripe and out of balance between the upper and lower frequencies. I'm not saying this is a design flaw or anything, but rather a condition of room interaction and source material. Unfortunately in the 20-30 minutes I spent there I left thinking the highs/mids and lows sound great separately, but they need a much bigger room and I need to sit further back for them to really come together. I immediately looked thru my guide to see if any one else was showing your speakers but I didn't find any.

Anyways, thru my system those Song3 sound excellent... I'd love to hear them in person.

Last edited by callas01; 05-15-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9662 of 10061 Old 05-15-2016, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Jim, will this speaker be at THE SHOW next month?

Anyways, thru my system those Song3 sound excellent... I'd love to hear them in person.
Yes, this is the speaker we will be showing with Schiit Audio.

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9663 of 10061 Old 05-17-2016, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Hey guys...future Salk owner here (once my house is completed and I can move out of this damned apartment!).

In the new house Im essentially upgrading my whole system to accommodate Atmos, and have decided to replace my front (LRC) speakers as well. Ive firmly decided on Salk, but having difficulty deciding between songtowers or the song3. Based on my equipment and listening habits Im gonna guess the ST, but Id love your input. Ive looked for songtower vs song3 comparisons but the 3's being so new there isnt much out there.

Im at about 60% movies/40% music, everything from dubstep to electronic to rock to jazz. Room is open concept, being about 20'W and probably 80'L, but the "greatroom bleeds into the kitchen is why. The listening area/theater area will be across the 20' part.

Equipment that Ill have is (the only thing I dont have now that Im upgrading is the receiver. Everything else is carryover from my old house):

Yamaha 3060 receiver
Emotiva XPA-2 powering front 2 channels
Emotiva XPA200 powering center
Rythmik FV15HP sub
Polk FXi A6 for rears
Atmos unknown yet, havent decided.

Salks will be replacing Polk RTi10's and Polk CSiA6 center

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by blackangst; 05-17-2016 at 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9664 of 10061 Old 05-18-2016, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

John wanted a very special set of speakers for a home theater system built around the Veracity ST's. This included a center channel and on wall WOW1's as well. The challenge was to do the finish he desired. He wanted light gray over white oak. The problem is, oak is somewhat yellow. If you only spray a light coat of gray dye, the yellow shows through.

So the first technique we tried was to pickle the oak in white and then spray gray over the top. We pretty much got the gray we were looking for, but the grain was obviously the same color. After sending out a sample, we talked over the options and told him we would try to dream up some other approach that would result in a light gray finish with darker gray grain. We didn't know if it could even be done, but we tried a number of different approaches and finally found one that worked.

Here is the result...

The front baffle was done in a metallic graphite gray automotive paint and the final topcoat was high gloss clearcoat.

And a close-up...

For the on-wall WOW1 surround speakers, he wanted also white oak, but this time he wanted it pickled with a white pearl automotive finish on the front baffles. It is a little hard to see the effect in this photo, but here it is...

I would have to say this was about the most involved finish we had ever done. John certainly knew how to put us to the test. But in the end, it was an effort that was well worth while. In fact, I'm considering doing that same finish on a pair of our new Song3's for myself.

Happy listening John!

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9665 of 10061 Old 05-18-2016, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackangst View Post
Hey guys...future Salk owner here (once my house is completed and I can move out of this damned apartment!).

In the new house Im essentially upgrading my whole system to accommodate Atmos, and have decided to replace my front (LRC) speakers as well. Ive firmly decided on Salk, but having difficulty deciding between songtowers or the song3. Based on my equipment and listening habits Im gonna guess the ST, but Id love your input. Ive looked for songtower vs song3 comparisons but the 3's being so new there isnt much out there.
Well, the design is so new, no finished speakers have shipped yet. So I am probably the only person who can answer the question.

Starting with the top end, the Song3's ribbon tweeter will result in a speaker that is more open, transparent and extended than the basic SongTower. (Of course, the SongTower RT with a ribbon tweeter will also have this same transparent top end.)

In terms of the midrange, the midwoofers in the SongTower models do both midrange and bass duties. In the Song3's the midrange only handles a narrow band of frequencies. So the demands on this driver are minimal in comparison and that keeps things very clean. The Song3's 3" midrange driver also has slightly superior off-axis response since it is a smaller driver. The cone material is bamboo-impregnated paper which imparts a nice warm glow to the midrange.

One of the biggest differences you will hear is in the bass region. The SongTowers do an incredible job playing down to 38Hz via a transmission line cabinet. In this case, the TL cabinet is responsible for about the last 7Hz of bass extension (that is one of the magic aspects of transmission line designs).

In the case of the Song3's, the ported bass (a transmission line cabinet was not appropriate for this particular driver) plays down to a solid 33Hz. And the 7.5" woofer can move a lot of air down low for added heft and weight in the bass regions.

This particular woofer is really something special. Most driver manufacturers these days are designing drivers that play deep in a small cabinet. That's because speaker manufacturers find it easier to sell smaller speakers. The sensitivity of these drivers usually tends to be around 84db so the resulting speaker requires a bit more power to drive. The only way you can get higher sensitivity with this type of woofer is to use multiple woofers, unless you opt for a higher sensitivity drivers. But if you do that, you generally won't get very good bass extension. And that is the dilemma. (It's the laws of physics.)

In this case, this driver is a native 88db (each 3db being roughly equivalent to halving or doubling power requirements) and yet does not require an overly large cabinet to reach to 33Hz...quite a feat of engineering.

The SongTowers have an 8" wide front baffle while the Song3's are 9.5" wide. They are also 2" deeper. If a slightly larger cabinet works for you, you will be rewarded with a speaker that is extremely transparent with a very clean midrange and solid bass response.

I hope that helps.

- Jim
blackangst likes this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9666 of 10061 Old 05-18-2016, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Jim, thank you so much for your reply, and it was a pleasure speaking with you this morning.

As I told you on the phone Ive been speaker shopping for almost a year, and in the last month or two have pretty much decided on Salks. Based on your input, and the fact there's only a $50 difference (I would've gotten the RAAL tweeter upgrade on the ST's) I think Ive decided on the Song3's. I like the idea of a 3way speaker a little bit better.

I'll give you a call this fall when my house is nearing completion to place my order, and keep an eye out on any reviews for these.

Thanks again its much appreciated!
post #9667 of 10061 Old 05-23-2016, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

We will be teaming up with Schiit Audio at the Newport show June 3rd - 5th. We will be showing our new Song3 model in room 1115.

See you there!

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9668 of 10061 Old 05-24-2016, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Has anyone noticed the new Salk Sound web page?

http://www.salksound.com/home.php

There is a cool feature which allows you to search for different finishes regardless which model speaker is shown in the photo. The old web page only allowed people to browse the various image galleries that were specific for each model.

http://www.salksound.com/gallery.php

Last edited by R Swerdlow; 05-24-2016 at 06:07 PM.
post #9669 of 10061 Old 05-24-2016, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 1490
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Swerdlow View Post
Has anyone noticed the new Salk Sound web page? http://www.salksound.com/

There is a cool feature which allows you to search for different finishes regardless which model speaker is shown in the photo. The old web page only allowed people to browse the various image galleries that were specific for each model.

http://www.salksound.com/gallery.php
Looks like it's going to be really cool, but I think he's probably testing it out now. It doesn't seem to work with Chrome--I couldn't get it to come down out of the clouds, or get the search function to work.
post #9670 of 10061 Old 05-24-2016, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Looks like it's going to be really cool, but I think he's probably testing it out now. It doesn't seem to work with Chrome--I couldn't get it to come down out of the clouds, or get the search function to work.
At first I had trouble as well, on both Firefox and IE.

The old web page is http://www.salksound.com/

The new one i http://www.salksound.com/home.php

If by "coming down out of the clouds", you mean the clouds you first see on the home page, just scroll down.

I deleted my browser's history. Emptying the memory seems to work.

Last edited by R Swerdlow; 05-24-2016 at 06:09 PM.
post #9671 of 10061 Old 05-24-2016, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Swerdlow View Post
At first I had trouble as well, on both Firefox and IE.

The new web page is http://www.salksound.com/

The old one was https://www.salksound.com/

If by "coming down out of the clouds", you mean the clouds you see on the home page, just scroll down.

I deleted my browser's history. Emptying the memory buffer seems to work.
Scroll down That's the ticket. It is very cool. I'll have to explore when i get a chance.
post #9672 of 10061 Old 05-24-2016, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 773
post #9673 of 10061 Old 05-24-2016, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 3105 Post(s)
Liked: 3049
Worked fine for me using Chrome 50.0.2661.102 m

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #9674 of 10061 Old 05-26-2016, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Jim, thank you so much for your reply, and it was a pleasure speaking with you this morning.

As I told you on the phone Ive been speaker shopping for almost a year, and in the last month or two have pretty much decided on Salks. Based on your input, and the fact there's only a $50 difference (I would've gotten the RAAL tweeter upgrade on the ST's) I think Ive decided on the Song3's. I like the idea of a 3way speaker a little bit better.

I'll give you a call this fall when my house is nearing completion to place my order, and keep an eye out on any reviews for these.

Thanks again its much appreciated!
Congrats on your future joining of the Salk club. You won't regret it!
blackangst likes this.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #9675 of 10061 Old 05-27-2016, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Who says a subwoofer has to be ugly?

Ernie wanted a Rythmik sub with a GR Research driver. But he wanted something special looking. After discussing the project for a while, we came up with an idea.

Here is the result...

Get ready to plumb the depths Ernie!

Happy listening...

- Jim
Nuance likes this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9676 of 10061 Old 05-27-2016, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 1222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalk View Post
Ernie wanted a Rythmik sub with a GR Research driver. But he wanted something special looking. After discussing the project for a while, we came up with an idea.

Here is the result...

Get ready to plumb the depths Ernie!

Happy listening...

- Jim
That's beautiful furniture that happens to act like a sub.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #9677 of 10061 Old 05-27-2016, 10:25 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post
Congrats on your future joining of the Salk club. You won't regret it!
I'll second that! And thanks to your search (I read a LOT of your thread) for a great speaker I was motivated to give the song towers a try. I got lucky and found a used pair. At first I was skeptical about a 2 way design with a pair of 5" drivers that could deliver such low and amazingly accurate bass but I'm no longer a skeptic - my two DIY 12" sealed subs stay off unless I spin up a movie. These song towers really rock! Thanks for doing all the legwork - you really found an exceptional speaker. I live in an audio desert and have to rely on the opinions and experiences of others to find those rare values in audio. Your hard work really paid off for me - thanks again! If I ever feel the need to upgrade I know the first person I'll be talking to - Jim Salk.
Nuance likes this.

Yamaha A-S1000 Int. Amp - Salk SongTowers - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 - Emo XDA-2 DAC
Multi-Channel: Yamaha RX-A2070 - Custom One-Off Selah Audio Center - Emo ERD-1 Surrounds
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #9678 of 10061 Old 05-31-2016, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post
I'll second that! And thanks to your search (I read a LOT of your thread) for a great speaker I was motivated to give the song towers a try. I got lucky and found a used pair. At first I was skeptical about a 2 way design with a pair of 5" drivers that could deliver such low and amazingly accurate bass but I'm no longer a skeptic - my two DIY 12" sealed subs stay off unless I spin up a movie. These song towers really rock! Thanks for doing all the legwork - you really found an exceptional speaker. I live in an audio desert and have to rely on the opinions and experiences of others to find those rare values in audio. Your hard work really paid off for me - thanks again! If I ever feel the need to upgrade I know the first person I'll be talking to - Jim Salk.
Thank you for sharing that and for the kind words. If I helped even one person along my journey then it was all worth it! I am ecstatic that you're enjoying your SongTowers!

post #9679 of 10061 Old 05-31-2016, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post
Thank you for sharing that and for the kind words. If I helped even one person along my journey then it was all worth it! I am ecstatic that you're enjoying your SongTowers!
It's safe to say you've helped more than one person! Cheers, hope you can re-join the Salk owners' club soon!
Nuance and blackscorpio like this.

Samsung F8500 64", Marantz SR7008, Parasound Halo P5, Emotiva XPA-5, AVA Synergy 450, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC, Salk Veracity STs, Salk Supercharged Song Center, Rythmik F12 SE subwoofers, NHT SuperOne surrounds
post #9680 of 10061 Old 05-31-2016, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Deprave View Post
It's safe to say you've helped more than one person! Cheers, hope you can re-join the Salk owners' club soon!
+1
Nuance likes this.
post #9681 of 10061 Old 05-31-2016, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Deprave View Post
+1

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Nuance likes this.
post #9682 of 10061 Old 06-01-2016, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I hope to soon rejoin the Salk Owner's Club as well.

post #9683 of 10061 Old 06-01-2016, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Hey guys...so although Im waiting for my house to be completed before ordering my Salks, I ran across this ad at Audiogon - https://www.audiogon.com/listings/fu...edwood-city-ca

Now, I wasnt considering the Veracity as its a bit more than I can spend, but...I think I may pull the trigger on these. Ive got a PM in to the poster asking when they were purchased, as its not clear if its a newer version or not, but any input is appreciated-
post #9684 of 10061 Old 06-01-2016, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

That's a great price. But be aware that these are HT2's and not HT2-TL's. Just thought you should know.

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9685 of 10061 Old 06-01-2016, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I bought both sets of my Salks used. I bought a pair of HT2's in 2007. Last year I bought a set of HT3's made out of African Bobinga Hardwood and they are beautiful. I never would have been able to buy them new. I now use my HT2's in my office and the HT3's in my theater. I blew the ribbons in my HT2's and Jim repaired them for me at a very low price. Even if you buy used Jim will take care of you if you have a problem. So do not be afraid to buy used. I was able to drive to pick up both sets so no shipping was used.

Thomas DiCecco
post #9686 of 10061 Old 06-01-2016, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Well, after careful thought, I think Im gonna pass on those HT2's. Thanks @jsalk for talking to me this morning I appreciate it. Gonna wait and order Song3's this fall.

Speaking of which I cant take my eyes off the "Contact Us to Claim These Speakers" button for the black pair that are ready to go on the Salksound page LOL...want sooo bad!
post #9687 of 10061 Old 06-03-2016, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

OK...I cant wait. Im still in my apartment until this fall but I gotta have my Salks! Just got off the phone with Jim, and ordered the Song3's in Satin Black. I just very well own the first pair lol

Super excited!
post #9688 of 10061 Old 06-03-2016, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK...I cant wait. Im still in my apartment until this fall but I gotta have my Salks! Just got off the phone with Jim, and ordered the Song3's in Satin Black. I just very well own the first pair lol

Super excited!
Congrats--and the satin black take less time to build. Sounds like Jim was getting some help from the Schiit folks demoing the Song 3's at T.H.E Show in Newport. He was straddling 3 rooms at Axpona and I'm not sure he would have been able to answer the phone. T.H.E. Show looks like a fun place to be--too bad I'm on the Right Coast and it's on the Left Coast.
post #9689 of 10061 Old 06-03-2016, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Congrats--and the satin black take less time to build. Sounds like Jim was getting some help from the Schiit folks demoing the Song 3's at T.H.E Show in Newport. He was straddling 3 rooms at Axpona and I'm not sure he would have been able to answer the phone. T.H.E. Show looks like a fun place to be--too bad I'm on the Right Coast and it's on the Left Coast.
Thanks Dennis. Jim indeed answered my call but said he only had a few minutes. That's all I needed to get ordering info and to solidify my choice of the Song3 over the ST-RT for my use.

Again, thanks for the welcome into the Salk family.
post #9690 of 10061 Old 06-04-2016, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Quote:
Thanks Dennis. Jim indeed answered my call but said he only had a few minutes. That's all I needed to get ordering info and to solidify my choice of the Song3 over the ST-RT for my use.

Again, thanks for the welcome into the Salk family.

I must have missed the announcement - but that Song3 looks very intriguing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page