The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread - Page 333 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 391Likes

post #9961 of 10056 Old 08-06-2018, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbkt View Post
That looks awesome. My endgame setup.

Do you still have Ascend RAAL tower or you sold them? How do these compare to ascends?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I still have the Ascend RAAL towers; they're continuing to handle the downstairs "great room" duty very nicely.

As to comparing the Salk Song3-A's to the Ascends... It's a little difficult to say given I haven't had the Salks for too long and haven't had much chance to get to know them intimately as it were. I don't know that I'll be inspired to haul the speakers around to do a true shootout where I compare them in the same positions in the same room.

The Ascend Sierra Towers with ribbons sound really good. If you want attractive and unobtrusive with great value they can't be beat.

The Salks are physically much bigger and heavier and I think they're flatter throughout the frequency range... But again they're in a well-treated room so not entirely fair. The Salks and Sierra Towers sound similar because they're both excellent speakers... But the Salks sound a bit more natural throughout the frequency range.

I'm struggling to say anything more about the sound at this point, so give me a few months and I'll report back ;-)

But first impression is that the Salks sound really really good with music. We also did a movie with them over the weekend and they sounded great in that application (with Audyssey calibration and a little crossover tweaking). Just completely natural, no coloration.

-Dick Locke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9962 of 10056 Old 08-06-2018, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Dick wanted a pair of Song3-A's with a dark brown finish and dramatic grain.

We had just finished a few pairs of speakers using Chen Chen veneer with some very nice grain patterns. I suggested using that veneer, but dyeing it dark walnut.

Here are the results...

Happy listening Dick!

- Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s3-accuton-chenchendarkwalnut-cu.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	2438248   Click image for larger version

Name:	s3-accuton-chenchendarkwalnut.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	2438250  
Fins^, Nuance, dtlocke and 1 others like this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9963 of 10056 Old 08-07-2018, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalk View Post

We had just finished a few pairs of speakers using Chen Chen veneer with some very nice grain patterns. I suggested using that veneer, but dyeing it dark walnut.

Here are the results...

Happy listening Dick!

- Jim
Jim,

Nice photos and the speakers look incredible in-person as well! The craftsmanship is just amazing. The veneer pattern matching across the 5 speakers I purchased was remarkable. Hope this doesn't sound sexist, but even the ladies that have seen them seem genuinely impressed. (Or course, what are they going to say?!)

And they sound great too!

Last night I got a chance to listen, for the first time ever, to the blu-ray 5.1 mix of Dark Side of the Moon on a properly matched set of speakers... That being the Salk Song3-A's, Song3 Center, and WOW1 surrounds (and 2 Rythmik subs). I don't know how to describe it other than there was only the music, the speakers just didn't exist. I only had time for side one; looking forward to side 2!

-Dick Locke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9964 of 10056 Old 08-07-2018, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I've been out of the game for a long time now, but it's nice to see this thread is still active. How the heck is everyone doing!? Greetings from Wisconsin!
Black adder likes this.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #9965 of 10056 Old 08-07-2018, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtlocke View Post
Thanks. I still have the Ascend RAAL towers; they're continuing to handle the downstairs "great room" duty very nicely.

As to comparing the Salk Song3-A's to the Ascends... It's a little difficult to say given I haven't had the Salks for too long and haven't had much chance to get to know them intimately as it were. I don't know that I'll be inspired to haul the speakers around to do a true shootout where I compare them in the same positions in the same room.

The Ascend Sierra Towers with ribbons sound really good. If you want attractive and unobtrusive with great value they can't be beat.

The Salks are physically much bigger and heavier and I think they're flatter throughout the frequency range... But again they're in a well-treated room so not entirely fair. The Salks and Sierra Towers sound similar because they're both excellent speakers... But the Salks sound a bit more natural throughout the frequency range.

I'm struggling to say anything more about the sound at this point, so give me a few months and I'll report back ;-)

But first impression is that the Salks sound really really good with music. We also did a movie with them over the weekend and they sounded great in that application (with Audyssey calibration and a little crossover tweaking). Just completely natural, no coloration.

-Dick Locke
Thanks Dick for early impression. I've sierra 2 with Rhythmik sub as my main listening system in living root and I've been itching to upgrade and Song3A are on top of my list (with Verasity HT2-TL and SCST). I'm still researching my options and may not place order for couple of months so I'll keep an eye on this thread :-)

Main: Ascend Acoustic Sierra 2 L/R | Rythmik E15HP | Marantz SR6010 | Oppo BDP-103
Headphones: Focal Clear | ZMF Atticus | Fostex THX00 | Senheiser HD 650 | Meze 99 Classics | Schiit Lyr3 (multi-bit DAC)
post #9966 of 10056 Old 08-07-2018, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post
I've been out of the game for a long time now, but it's nice to see this thread is still active. How the heck is everyone doing!? Greetings from Wisconsin!

Dang! Nuance. Did you awaken from your 20 year slumber? I hope you are well, old friend. Stay around for a while!

I haven't eaten dirt yet...still hangin' in there, but getting more decrepit as time will allow.

Mud/Tomorrow
Nuance likes this.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #9967 of 10056 Old 08-08-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbkt View Post
Thanks Dick for early impression. I've sierra 2 with Rhythmik sub as my main listening system in living root and I've been itching to upgrade and Song3A are on top of my list (with Verasity HT2-TL and SCST). I'm still researching my options and may not place order for couple of months so I'll keep an eye on this thread :-)
That's what we've been using for our bedroom system, Sierra 2 RAAL & now a 12" sealed Rythmik sub. With Audyssey calibration they sound great, that's a high bar to exceed... I'd replace the Sierra 2 with some pretty Salk speakers if my wife would let me, though 8-) She's not into the speakers being a thing in the main living spaces, she wants them to be as invisible as possible. Such is life!

If you do decide to get some Salks build in some wait time!

-Dick Locke
BluesDaddy56 likes this.
post #9968 of 10056 Old 08-08-2018, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:

hey nuance. i have recently crawled out of my crypt as well.

salks still cranking out great sound here.
Nuance likes this.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #9969 of 10056 Old 08-08-2018, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 1222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fins^ View Post

SoundScape 10 (or whatever the new name will be?)
Sanders Sound Monoblocks
Modwright LS100 preamp

Ahh...

You guys will enjoy yours when you get them. Worth the wait!

-vintagebob
Vintagebob,

I live in downtown San Jose. Very, very nice setup! Like the Giants caps although the boys seemed to have lost their mojo.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #9970 of 10056 Old 08-10-2018, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Nuance - great to see you back again! So just popping in once a year? Time to order some Salks?
Nuance likes this.
post #9971 of 10056 Old 08-11-2018, 07:38 AM

just a quick pic of my wife’s “home office”.

jim made these jordans awhile ago for me. they work exceptionally well in this application. she has them hooked up to her yaqin tube amp.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #9972 of 10056 Old 08-22-2018, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

David was interested in a pair of Song3's finished with two different kinds of veneer. After some discussion, it was decided that the front and rear would be mahogany and the rest of the cabinet would be Carpathian Elm burl. When we finished, the mahogany did not seem to match the elm burl as well as we thought it should. So we asked David if he trusted us enough to let us apply a little dye to it. We tried to pick out a color in the elm burl and apply it to the front and rear of the speakers.

The results are attached.

Happy listening David!

- Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s3-elmburlmahogany.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	2444884   Click image for larger version

Name:	s3-elmburlmahogany-cu.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	2444886  
ccotenj, dtlocke, abd1 and 2 others like this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9973 of 10056 Old 08-23-2018, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 88
First, I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to ask this. Second, my question...do you know what your schedule will be like for RMAF? I ask because the only day I could be there is the first day, Friday the 5th (going out of town on Saturday), and my main motivation for going would be to hear some Salk speakers (I've never heard a pair before). I'd hate to show up on Friday and find the Salk exhibit unavailable for whatever reason. Thanks.

Philharmonic BMR Philharmonitor | Rythmik F12G | Parasound Halo P6 | PS Audio Stellar M700 | Oppo BDP-103
post #9974 of 10056 Old 08-23-2018, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbulkexpanse View Post
First, I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to ask this. Second, my question...do you know what your schedule will be like for RMAF? I ask because the only day I could be there is the first day, Friday the 5th (going out of town on Saturday), and my main motivation for going would be to hear some Salk speakers (I've never heard a pair before). I'd hate to show up on Friday and find the Salk exhibit unavailable for whatever reason. Thanks.
No problem at all.

We will be in two rooms at RMAF this year. In room 3000, we will be showing with Schiit Audio. We will likely have the Song3 BeAT's and the Song3 Encores. Room 2001 is the RMAF "Under $5000" room where our SongTowers will be featured.

- Jim
dlbeck and fatbulkexpanse like this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9975 of 10056 Old 08-23-2018, 09:43 AM

wow, i REALLY like the way that dyed burl came out with the mahogany.

- chris

post #9976 of 10056 Old 08-24-2018, 07:34 PM

Wink

Quote:

Here are the results...

Happy listening Dick!

- Jim
Jim, Looking at your pics again... I think these are possibly the best looking speakers you've ever made! And I can't say enough about how great they sound!

-Dick Locke
post #9977 of 10056 Old 09-30-2018, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Glenn sent us some photos of guitars done in a "fireburst" finish over elm burl. That is the finish he wanted on his Song3 BeAT's.

Every speakers starts out as a blank canvas. With the woods and veneers we use, it is not all that difficult to to produce beautiful finished products. But, once in a while, we are stunned by the results. This is one of those cases.

We started with an orange dye, then shot the dark edges. Finally, we shot a red dye partially into each of the panels and faded it into the orange. When we saw the final results in the spray booth, we were blown away by how dramatic the speakers evoloved.

I have often commented that I'm not a photographer and our photos often fail to capture the full extent of a finish. That is the case here. The photos simply do not capture the subtlety of the color palette. The orange gets lost in these photos. But at least you get an idea of the final finish.

Happy listening Glenn!

- Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s3-BeAT-fireburstelmburl.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	319.6 KB
ID:	2462198   Click image for larger version

Name:	s3-BeAT-fireburstelmburl-cu.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	2462200  
ccotenj, Mudslide, dtlocke and 5 others like this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9978 of 10056 Old 09-30-2018, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Glenn sent us some photos of guitars done in a "fireburst" finish over elm burl. That is the finish he wanted on his Song3 BeAT's.

Every speakers starts out as a blank canvas. With the woods and veneers we use, it is not all that difficult to to produce beautiful finished products. But, once in a while, we are stunned by the results. This is one of those cases.

We started with an orange dye, then shot the dark edges. Finally, we shot a red dye partially into each of the panels and faded it into the orange. When we saw the final results in the spray booth, we were blown away by how dramatic the speakers evoloved.

I have often commented that I'm not a photographer and our photos often fail to capture the full extent of a finish. That is the case here. The photos simply do not capture the subtlety of the color palette. The orange gets lost in these photos. But at least you get an idea of the final finish.

Happy listening Glenn!

- Jim
These are pretty amazing. Looks like a wicked face on the side, but still beautiful. I'd imagine a show speaker in this finish, especially if hand rubbed, would get amazing attention.

2 Channel "Man Nook"
Primaluna Dialogue One/Salk Song3's/Exogal Comet/Job 225
Home Theater Room/Kids Lounge
Emotiva XMC-1, XPA-2, XPA-100, BasX A-500
GE Triton 2's/Aperion VG Center/Paradigm Cinema Surrounds/Rythmik LVX12
post #9979 of 10056 Old 09-30-2018, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abd1 View Post
These are pretty amazing. Looks like a wicked face on the side, but still beautiful. I'd imagine a show speaker in this finish, especially if hand rubbed, would get amazing attention.
My thinking exactly. Probably for Axpona.

- Jim
abd1 likes this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9980 of 10056 Old 09-30-2018, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Jim,

I am blown away by the pictures on my Carpathian Elm Burl fireburst BeAts! You captured exactly what I was hoping for, and I haven't even seen them in person yet.

The wait is almost over, and soon I will be listening.

Thank you Jim!!!

Glenn
ccotenj, Mudslide and BluesDaddy56 like this.
post #9981 of 10056 Old 10-05-2018, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Oh my goodness!

I knew these would be beautiful, but in person they are stunning, again, simply stunning!

I just finished listening to the demo CD. They sound as stunning as they look, perhaps even better! Now that's an endorsement!!

These BeAT's are replacing a pair of Ascend Sierra 2 (no sub) which were placed back into service after returning a set of Zu Soul Supremes that just sounded horrible to my ears no matter what Sean and the fine folks at Zu recommended I try.

Thanks Jim, for not only pointing me to these after our initial conversation, but also again for the amazing finish, and craftsmanship! It was more than worth the wait!

Nothing left to do, but smile, smile, smile!!!!!!!!

Glenn
ccotenj and abd1 like this.
post #9982 of 10056 Old 10-12-2018, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

From time to time, we offer our demo speakers for sale so that we can build new ones. We just listed a few pairs and more will be on the way soon.

When we build demo speakers, we normally pull out all the stops with special veneers and often a hand-rubbed, high-gloss finish to bring out all the natural beauty in the woods.

If you would like to check out the new listings, see our Available Speakers page.

Happy listening...

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9983 of 10056 Old 10-13-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
From time to time, we offer our demo speakers for sale so that we can build new ones. We just listed a few pairs and more will be on the way soon.

When we build demo speakers, we normally pull out all the stops with special veneers and often a hand-rubbed, high-gloss finish to bring out all the natural beauty in the woods.

If you would like to check out the new listings, see our Available Speakers page.

Happy listening...

- Jim
Damn, those are all beautiful. Hopefully I can hear the Exotica's one day...

2 Channel "Man Nook"
post #9984 of 10056 Old 10-19-2018, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Well, the dust has settled upon our return from the Rocky Mountain Audiofest in Denver.

We showed the Song3 BeAT's and Song3 Encores (mostly the BeAT's) and the reaction was very positive.

Greg Weaver commented in enjoythemusic.com,

"Jim Salk and the cat's at Schiit teamed up in room 3000 to present an absolutely engaging system...This room offered up splendid articulation, full of fine detail, with honest, rich, tone. Attack was nicely defined, with good resolve, and a very open and natural sound overall."

All in all, it was a very nice show and, as always, it was great meeting old friends and making new ones.

Now it is on to Capital Audiofest in Rockville, MD, November 2 - 4. We'll be showing the same speakers in room 512 along with Exogal, Anticables and McGary Audio. Mike McGary will be introducing his hand-built SA 1 Vacuum Tube Stereo Amplifier. Mike has had a number of very nice reviews lately. Here is a link to his "news" page with links to reviews...

https://www.mcgaryaudio.com/news/

See you in DC!

- Jim
dtlocke likes this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9985 of 10056 Old 10-21-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Well, the dust has settled upon our return from the Rocky Mountain Audiofest in Denver.
Greg Weaver commented in enjoythemusic.com,

"Jim Salk and the cat's at Schiit teamed up in room 3000 to present an absolutely engaging system...This room offered up splendid articulation, full of fine detail, with honest, rich, tone. Attack was nicely defined, with good resolve, and a very open and natural sound overall."

- Jim
Greg's comments nicely sum up how my Salk Song 3 setup sounds in my media room!

-Dick Locke
post #9986 of 10056 Old 10-30-2018, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to say I'll be enjoying the Salk sound in the near future.

I've looked for a while and kept coming back to Salk. I ordered a set of WOW1 monitors in quilted maple. They will be going in my office on a 60" wide desk. I've had many....so many...different speakers in different locations around my house and haven't yet had a set that I was completely happy with on the desk. The size of the WOW1 and the finishes sold me for this application. Reading nothing but positive reviews on all the Salk speakers and the beauty of the cabinets has me quite excited!

I'll definitely post pictures once they arrive! I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas, so it'll be a long wait!
dtlocke and abd1 like this.
post #9987 of 10056 Old 10-30-2018, 09:19 AM
DAB
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 78
If I ever won the CA Lottery - J. Salk and Winners would be on my speed dial//////////////
post #9988 of 10056 Old 10-30-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzog View Post
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to say I'll be enjoying the Salk sound in the near future.

I've looked for a while and kept coming back to Salk. I ordered a set of WOW1 monitors in quilted maple. They will be going in my office on a 60" wide desk. I've had many....so many...different speakers in different locations around my house and haven't yet had a set that I was completely happy with on the desk. The size of the WOW1 and the finishes sold me for this application. Reading nothing but positive reviews on all the Salk speakers and the beauty of the cabinets has me quite excited!

I'll definitely post pictures once they arrive! I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas, so it'll be a long wait!
Congrats. What's the rest of the setup like and what speakers are you replacing?

2 Channel "Man Nook"
post #9989 of 10056 Old 10-30-2018, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 3100 Post(s)
Liked: 3033
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
If I ever won the CA Lottery - J. Salk and Winners would be on my speed dial//////////////
No way, you want savor each and every number as you dial to place the order...
DAB likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #9990 of 10056 Old 10-30-2018, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by abd1 View Post
Congrats. What's the rest of the setup like and what speakers are you replacing?

I've got the room semi-treated with acoustic panels behind my seating area, and a canvas painting (by my wife) behind where the speakers will be.

The room is very small, probably 11x12 or so. I've also got Klipsch Forte III that are in the corners that I listen to when I slide all the way back in the room. I can be 7-8 feet away from them.

The Salks will be replacing...a lot of different speakers that I've tried. The latest are some JBL 4306. Great speakers, but too big for the desk and don't work quite so close up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page