Center Speaker Placement behind AT Screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-09-2008, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the process of building out my home theater room. I do need some guidance on the placement of my center channel.

I have an acoustically transparent screen with the center to be placed behind it with the left and right to be outside of the screen. THX recommends placing the center channel in the dead center of the screen and the L/R at ear level. Some other guides recommend to have the L/C/R at the same height.

My dilemma is that the screen will be mounted high enough on the wall where the center channel is about 16" higher than the L/R. Is this setup kosher and if not which should I change the height of, the center or L/R? Thanks for the guidance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-09-2008, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 1618
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypaspazz View Post

I have an acoustically transparent screen with the center to be placed behind it with the left and right to be outside of the screen. THX recommends placing the center channel in the dead center of the screen and the L/R at ear level. Some other guides recommend to have the L/C/R at the same height.

My dilemma is that the screen will be mounted high enough on the wall where the center channel is about 16" higher than the L/R.

Where did you see this recommendation from THX? I've never seen that. All the recommendations I've ever seen are to place all three speakers at ear level.

Which AT screen are you getting?

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System
post #3 of 11 Old 01-09-2008, 07:00 PM

Liked: 58
Ideally, you would have 3 identical speakers all with the tweeters at ear height. If you have multiple rows of seating maybe a little higher than the first row's ear height. If you have to have different heights for the center and L/R try to minimize it as much as possible and try for less than 18" difference.

Depending on the size of your screen and room you might consider putting all three speakers behind the screen. I see many people get the biggest screen their wall will fit and put the L/R speakers right near the corners. It is tough to give exact recommendations without knowing and measuring your room. But, I'd try to keep the L/R speakers at least 2' away from the side walls.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-09-2008, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the link from THX:

http://www.thx.com/home/setup/speakers/center.html

I picked up the Vutec SoundScreen which is a weave style AT screen. I got a great discount on it, too good to pass up. The room is too small to justify a large enough screen to put the L/R behind it.

The other recommendation is to place the surrounds at least 2' above ear level. Does anyone disagree with this? BTW, is I follow the ear height rule the center channel will be only 25% up the screen from the bottom edge. This seems to defeat the purpose of trying to place the center where people's mouths are to simulate natural speech.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-10-2008, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else have an opinion on this?
post #6 of 11 Old 01-10-2008, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Optimally ear height is the way to go. But sometimes it simply isn't possible. I have a 65" Mitsubishi WS-65513 CRT RPTV. If I were to place a center speaker at ear height it would be about 1/3 of the way up centered in front of the screen. So I placed my speaker on top of the HDTV. To compensate I have angled the center speaker right at eye/ear height in the central viewing position 16' away. And this approach has worked out just fine thank you. My main, side, and rear speakers ARE all at seated ear height.

-=[Bob]=-
TCL 65" 65R615, 49" 49S515, 32" L32HDF11TA
My systems
post #7 of 11 Old 03-13-2008, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am in a similar situation as the original poster. I will be using 3 identical floorstanders as LCR (rocket rs850s). By placing the speakers directly on floor level and a 92" 16:9 screen 2ft off the ground, it will be placing the tweeters directly at ear level, and 1/3 of the screen height. The L/R will be just outside the screen to give the perfect 9' spread for 11.5ft seating distance, and only the C speaker will be behind the screen.

This means that the bottom of the screen frame will be cutting across the front of the speaker. It will prob be a 2-3" piece of wood wrapped in velvet, and the speaker will be 6-9" behind the screen/frame.

Has anyone else done something like this? How bad is it to only cover the top half of the speaker with the screen for quality purposes. How much of an effect will having the piece of wooden frame in front of the speaker cause, will it be noticeable at all?

Thanks.

Matt
post #8 of 11 Old 03-13-2008, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 71
If it's a transparent screen, it shouldn't have much effect, although that frame might end up right in front of the midrange driver, which would not be good. If it's not a transparent screen, absolutely do NOT do what you are proposing.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-13-2008, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 14
I mounted mine with tweeters all at seated ear level of the second [prime] row it comes to a bit above the middle of my screen which in a stadium placement works great.
I suggest you DO try your R & L behind the screen tweeters at same height. You really don't want your speakers out near the walls anyway.
Do you have a 16:9 or a 2.35:1 screen?

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
post #10 of 11 Old 03-14-2008, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall View Post

I mounted mine with tweeters all at seated ear level of the second [prime] row it comes to a bit above the middle of my screen which in a stadium placement works great.
I suggest you DO try your R & L behind the screen tweeters at same height. You really don't want your speakers out near the walls anyway.
Do you have a 16:9 or a 2.35:1 screen?

to clarify, it will be an acoustically transparent screen. im worried about the wooden frame interference, not the screen itself.

i am going 16:9, 92", so placing LCR all behind the screen really isnt an option. placing them just outside the screen on both sides will create not only 9' between the L&R, but also 3ft from the side walls in a 15ft wide room (this is basically ideal placement of L&R)

i wont have a riser of any kind, and dont really have room for it b/c of the room size/layout.

my assumption is that the wooden frame wont cause all that much interference on the certain channel sound if there is enough space, im just really struggling to think of a better solution.. like maybe removing a chunk of the bottom of the frame, and attaching black AT fabric across the gap and having the false wall frame also have a hole big all of the drivers to pass through unobstructed.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-14-2008, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 1618
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtourist View Post

my assumption is that the wooden frame wont cause all that much interference on the certain channel sound if there is enough space, im just really struggling to think of a better solution.. like maybe removing a chunk of the bottom of the frame, and attaching black AT fabric across the gap and having the false wall frame also have a hole big all of the drivers to pass through unobstructed.

With your frame 2 ft off the floor, the frame bottom will only be in front of the bass drivers. Since there are 4 of them, I doubt it will have much impact. OTOH, if the frame were to sit in front of the tweeter or the midrange drivers, I think you could get blocking and/or diffraction of some of the treble and midrange. In that case, speech intelligibility would suffer as would localization of sounds. But if it's only in front of the bass drivers, the impact should probably be negligible.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page