BIC Acoustech Owners Thread - Page 178 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 69Likes

post #5311 of 5327 Old 09-27-2018, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1687 Post(s)
Liked: 2072
Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post
*Edit for corrections
If your receiver is Atmos capable, the most that it can do is a 5.4.2, with the addition of an amp. For immersiveness, 5.4.2 will be better than 7.2.2. To be able to do that you will have to supply separate external amps for the 2 pre-out speakers and it will take a lot more configuration to make sure that the output level on the extra speakers is equivalent to the ones on the receiver. Once that part is done, you could run Audyssey for room correction to further help with matching.

First number is ear level speakers.....second number is subs and last number is ceiling speaker/Atmos speakers.

5.4.2 would be 5 ear level speakers, 4 subwoofers and 2 ceiling speakers...…… Most receivers simply do one subwoofer..,..even if they have 2 plugs or even if they are listed as .2...…..

Some people just use a X in the middle...…….5.X.2 as subwoofers are in mono even if there are several plugs and even if they happen to have level and EQ abilities that allow for 2 separate channels of control..it is the LFE channel and is only one chanel in mono, that some recievers will allow you to control multiple subs of that single channel...it is still one channel in mono...….no matter how it is listed.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 5327 Old 09-27-2018, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
First number is ear level speakers.....second number is subs and last number is ceiling speaker/Atmos speakers.

5.4.2 would be 5 ear level speakers, 4 subwoofers and 2 ceiling speakers...…… Most receivers simply do one subwoofer..,..even if they have 2 plugs or even if they are listed as .2...…..

Some people just use a X in the middle...…….5.X.2 as subwoofers are in mono even if there are several plugs and even if they happen to have level and EQ abilities that allow for 2 separate channels of control..it is the LFE channel and is only one chanel in mono, that some recievers will allow you to control multiple subs of that single channel...it is still one channel in mono...….no matter how it is listed.

Woops, I got mixed up there. I had it stuck in my mind that the middle digit was Atmos (height) and not subs. I will correct my post, again, for proper formatting. Thanks for the correction.
unretarded likes this.
post #5313 of 5327 Old 09-27-2018, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello guys, I have one good news and one bad news, I just need one more FT-6T to complete my setup the bad news is that today I finally picked up the rest of the speakers that I had at my courier and one PL-66 is broken (the magnet fell off) https://imgur.com/a/nbZ6KLN, can i somehow "glue it" and ready to go again or I'm out of luck? also, I swapped one of the speakers of a spared FH6-LCR until I find a solution but I don't know yet if this is safe to do even when they look and are the same size other than the color of the front stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5314 of 5327 Old 09-28-2018, 12:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaiajo View Post
Hello guys, I have one good news and one bad news, I just need one more FT-6T to complete my setup the bad news is that today I finally picked up the rest of the speakers that I had at my courier and one PL-66 is broken (the magnet fell off) https://imgur.com/a/nbZ6KLN, can i somehow "glue it" and ready to go again or I'm out of luck? also, I swapped one of the speakers of a spared FH6-LCR until I find a solution but I don't know yet if this is safe to do even when they look and are the same size other than the color of the front stuff.

Contact the seller, and get a new one under warranty.
unretarded likes this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #5315 of 5327 Old 09-28-2018, 01:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey, anyone have or had both the PL-89s and PL-980s? I'm looking for some comparisons between the two models.

I have the PL-89s and am thinking about getting the PL-980s

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #5316 of 5327 Old 09-28-2018, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Contact the seller, and get a new one under warranty.
Sorry if this is a dumb question but do I have to send the speakers back if the eBay seller accept to deal with the warranty process? as I don't live in the united states and have to pay around $4 per pound to send and receive the items (without shipping cost when it arrives in Florida) also as I mentioned yesterday it is ok to use it with a swapped speakers from a FH6-LCR as they are the same size and same company (only different cone colors)?
post #5317 of 5327 Old 09-28-2018, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Hey, anyone have or had both the PL-89s and PL-980s? I'm looking for some comparisons between the two models.

I have the PL-89s and am thinking about getting the PL-980s
No, but I have the FH-6T that are now being used as surrounds, and I currently have the PL-980s as fronts. PL-980s are better overall. Better separation in the mid and high frequencies; which I imagine is due to the added 5" midrange tweeter.

Last edited by Spewdom; 09-28-2018 at 11:48 PM.
post #5318 of 5327 Old 09-30-2018, 01:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1687 Post(s)
Liked: 2072
I am super happy with the EV-15`s...….they slam hard like 15 inch subs, nice when you do not want to turn on the big subs. They dig deep in to the 20hz range with wall shaking power, which is nice additive when you really want a movie to rock the house combined with the subs or just them alone for milder sessions or music.

Here is a thread I did on them...….

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...er-budget.html

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #5319 of 5327 Old 02-10-2019, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone have recommends on an avr with preouts and a power amplifier for the bic pl980s? I need a 5.1 avr and want the power amplifier to send 200 watts at 8ohms to the pl980s.
post #5320 of 5327 Old 05-17-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bic America website is "under construction"? What's that all about?

post #5321 of 5327 Old 06-30-2019, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Replacement??

I have the PL89II as my mains LCR had an issue with my rcvr caused the audio to go nuts and blew one of the horn tweeters. Not a big deal now the issue to get the horn out w/o damaging the cabinet I removed one of the 8 inch woofers once I get the horn out put the woofer back in and promptly ran the screwdrvr thru the surround!! Being the weekend BIC closed and have been looking online and was trying to find a replacement with zero luck. Not sure if Bic will owner the warranty so that is why the search. The number on the back of the woofer is 1708CP and of course looking that up did nothing so can anyone suggest what to do? I was thinking of buying the PL28II and using it for parts but that seems kind of stupid.

Denon AVR-4520 LCR BIC PL89ii's w/ 2 SX2400 amps, Volt6 front height w/nu3000, Volt6 rear height w/EP-2000, BIC DV84's w/EPX2800
Infinity1262's in Quad Opposed box w/ nu6000,SI DS4's in 2 sealed Marty Cube w/ IT 8000, 2 SI HST18's in Dual Opposed w/ A14K
post #5322 of 5327 Old 06-30-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid109 View Post
I have the PL89II as my mains LCR had an issue with my rcvr caused the audio to go nuts and blew one of the horn tweeters. Not a big deal now the issue to get the horn out w/o damaging the cabinet I removed one of the 8 inch woofers once I get the horn out put the woofer back in and promptly ran the screwdrvr thru the surround!! Being the weekend BIC closed and have been looking online and was trying to find a replacement with zero luck. Not sure if Bic will owner the warranty so that is why the search. The number on the back of the woofer is 1708CP and of course looking that up did nothing so can anyone suggest what to do? I was thinking of buying the PL28II and using it for parts but that seems kind of stupid.

Call BIC and offer to pay for the parts. If that doesn't happen, buying the PL-28 for parts is a pretty good idea.

You can also try this to repair the hole: https://thelordofbass.com/product/bl...r-repair-glue/

post #5323 of 5327 Old 06-30-2019, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Found a tweeter here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Horn-Tweete...cAAOSwRNRa~1k-

post #5324 of 5327 Old 06-30-2019, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Call BIC and offer to pay for the parts. If that doesn't happen, buying the PL-28 for parts is a pretty good idea.

You can also try this to repair the hole: https://thelordofbass.com/product/bl...r-repair-glue/
Thanks for the reply. I did some research on my own and from what I saw and read on different You Tube videos quite a few highly suggested using Shoo Goo. Using a Q-tip I first applied to top ( and no its not perfectly smooth ) to cover where it was torn after letting it dry for an hour + or - turned it over cut a small piece off of a hanky ( to cover the area put on more of the glue and gently applied it to underneath. I am going to let if thoroughly dry and see what happens? My other thought I have a spare DV-84 in my attic as dumb as this sounds I could use the 2 8" drvrs to fix this one and once I get the tweeter use it as a center speaker?

Denon AVR-4520 LCR BIC PL89ii's w/ 2 SX2400 amps, Volt6 front height w/nu3000, Volt6 rear height w/EP-2000, BIC DV84's w/EPX2800
Infinity1262's in Quad Opposed box w/ nu6000,SI DS4's in 2 sealed Marty Cube w/ IT 8000, 2 SI HST18's in Dual Opposed w/ A14K
post #5325 of 5327 Old 06-30-2019, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just bought that one a couple hours ago almost bought a pair but should be okay.

post #5326 of 5327 Old 06-30-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I did some research on my own and from what I saw and read on different You Tube videos quite a few highly suggested using Shoo Goo. Using a Q-tip I first applied to top ( and no its not perfectly smooth ) to cover where it was torn after letting it dry for an hour + or - turned it over cut a small piece off of a hanky ( to cover the area put on more of the glue and gently applied it to underneath. I am going to let if thoroughly dry and see what happens? My other thought I have a spare DV-84 in my attic as dumb as this sounds I could use the 2 8" drvrs to fix this one and once I get the tweeter use it as a center speaker?
PM sent. Looks like you have it handled. Let us know how the repair and/or swap turns out.

post #5327 of 5327 Old 07-04-2019, 02:46 AM
Advanced Member

Update: After looking online decided to try Shoo Goo to at least try and fix hole I put in surround. Cannot say this will be a permanent fix but I can say after letting it thoroughly dry for several days then playing material at ref. no issues. I think if others should have a similar issue with the screwdrvr and the surround until you get a replacement this will buy you sometime how long not sure but for now works great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Acoustech By Bic , Bic Acoustech , Bic Acoustech Pl 26 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 28 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 76 Tower Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 89 Speakers , bic acoustech pl 980 speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page