Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 863 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 116Likes

post #25861 of 27157 Old 03-07-2014, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Pleased to report that I did an initial Audyssey combination with my correctly-upgraded AVP, thanks to Panurgy guys, and all went well! I have not had time to give a serious listen to the results, but what I first heard sounded really good!

The Auto setup for some reason saw both my subs as being about 26 feet away....I have seen writeups of that issue before...with XT32, are you guys leaving it, or manually changing the subs to the actual distance when this occurs?

I do have the Audyssey Pro Kit I had used with the AVP prior to the XT 32 upgrade...do you guys find that it adds much after the upgrade?

Thanks for the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25862 of 27157 Old 03-08-2014, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I can't tell you about the pro kit , since i don't have it. But leave the subs distance the way audyssey set it. If you feel distances are way off , try to rerun audyssey , to see if you can get it to calculate distances better. But don't alter them manually.

Limits established to be exceeded.
post #25863 of 27157 Old 03-08-2014, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorO View Post

Pleased to report that I did an initial Audyssey combination with my correctly-upgraded AVP, thanks to Panurgy guys, and all went well! I have not had time to give a serious listen to the results, but what I first heard sounded really good!

The Auto setup for some reason saw both my subs as being about 26 feet away....I have seen writeups of that issue before...with XT32, are you guys leaving it, or manually changing the subs to the actual distance when this occurs?

I do have the Audyssey Pro Kit I had used with the AVP prior to the XT 32 upgrade...do you guys find that it adds much after the upgrade?

Thanks for the input!

I also have the Pro-Kit and the upgraded AVP and yes, it always adds a lot compared to the standard consumer version in my understanding. You can have the different curves and the MRC and the curve designer. Also, I learned in the Audyssey thread that with the Pro Software you can set the x-over frequencies lower if necessary and the Pro-Software is recalculating the new frequencies. This is not the case with the consumer version. You should not set the x-overs lower than the measured ones. Higher is OK for the consumer version.

One other important feature is the possibility of saving and loading measurements and change the parameters later on. E.G. you can load a measurement session again and change the curves, x-over etc. This is IMO very convenient.

My personal impression was that XT32 is better than XT. But for the AVP my experience was that the differences are not this much than with e.g. Onkyo. With Onkyo I found big differences, for the AVP they seem smaller to me. Just my impression.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25864 of 27157 Old 03-08-2014, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorO View Post

A side note but maybe helpful to the poster--- Anthem was very, very responsive when I owned the D2's forerunner--relatively small companies in some ways have real advantanges, in my experience, over the big guys. And sorry to say but that's true with getting my Anthem D1 issues fixed vs. my AVP repair.

Hi Daniel,

yes, you are right that a small company can also have advantages - e.g. Oppo or your experiences with Anthem. However, usually the small companies lack the resources especially regarding software and licenses they have to pay for. For Anthem, I read that the 3D support for their D2v took a very long time and for Arcam, it is known, that they had trouble with their firmware for a long period of time.

Sure, Denon is a big ship and turns slowly and the smaller companies aim to be more customer friendly. Everything has its advantages or disadvantages, always two sides of a coin, isn't it. cool.gif
post #25865 of 27157 Old 03-08-2014, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digione View Post

Well my baby is back. I dropped it off on Monday and picked it up today. That's pretty good service ...assuming that they have fixed the problem.smile.gif

They had to replace the first digital signal processing board (there's two), thats the one with the two "old" DSP's that the new DSP board piggy backed on for the XT32 upgrade.

It will be installed tomorrow so I will report back then.

Well she lives.biggrin.gif

I have DL4 back, now all I have to do is reload my saved config and I will be good to go.

Just to clear up one issue. It was only the first digital processing board that they replaced, the one with the "old" DSP's on it.They re-used my upgraded DSP daughter board as I have had no problems with it so far. As I understand it they don't have any of the daughter boards left either.

Glad to be back at the party.smile.gif
post #25866 of 27157 Old 03-08-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

I have DL4 back, now all I have to do is reload my saved config and I will be good to go.

Just to clear up one issue. It was only the first digital processing board that they replaced, the one with the "old" DSP's on it.They re-used my upgraded DSP daughter board as I have had no problems with it so far. As I understand it they don't have any of the daughter boards left either.

Got your heavy lifting done so you can skip the weight room for a few days.wink.gif
post #25867 of 27157 Old 03-09-2014, 01:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

Got your heavy lifting done so you can skip the weight room for a few days.wink.gif

Nah, that's not heavy lifting.
Try poa , that's Real heavy lifting.

Limits established to be exceeded.
post #25868 of 27157 Old 03-09-2014, 01:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Quote:

Well my baby is back. I dropped it off on Monday and picked it up today. That's pretty good service ...assuming that they have fixed the problem.smile.gif

They had to replace the first digital signal processing board (there's two), thats the one with the two "old" DSP's that the new DSP board piggy backed on for the XT32 upgrade.

It will be installed tomorrow so I will report back then.

Apologise to you & Daniel, for Miss reading your post, for some reason I mistook it as both digital Boards were replaced ..
post #25869 of 27157 Old 03-09-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

Apologise to you & Daniel, for Miss reading your post, for some reason I mistook it as both digital Boards were replaced ..

No problem i assumed they didn't replace the 3d board but the audioboard its pushed on to. Since the 3d boards are hard to find unlike the audio board that denon seems to have in stock in japan and can be ordered for a reasonable price. We have to wonder how long that will last. The problem that i have is that until the 3d boards shipped we had VERY few broken avp's on the thread maybe one of two with a hdmi problem created by external sources and a loose board (network card). I am really getting the feeling they created a weak point with how the attached the 3d board either during installation or in usage.

Just hope mine stays working for a few more years. But even then we run the risk (as with any modern pre/pro) that they are unfixable at some points since chips/boards can't be found anymore.

Daniel.

PS: i kinda doubt there are 64 boards inside a avp but it would be fun to count them smile.gif

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #25870 of 27157 Old 03-09-2014, 07:48 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1875 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

No problem i assumed they didn't replace the 3d board but the audioboard its pushed on to. Since the 3d boards are hard to find unlike the audio board that denon seems to have in stock in japan and can be ordered for a reasonable price. We have to wonder how long that will last. The problem that i have is that until the 3d boards shipped we had VERY few broken avp's on the thread maybe one of two with a hdmi problem created by external sources and a loose board (network card). I am really getting the feeling they created a weak point with how the attached the 3d board either during installation or in usage.

Just hope mine stays working for a few more years. But even then we run the risk (as with any modern pre/pro) that they are unfixable at some points since chips/boards can't be found anymore.
I wonder if at least some of the problems we're seeing come from techs who aren't follow proper procedure for things like static discharge before handling the boards.
post #25871 of 27157 Old 03-09-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I wonder if at least some of the problems we're seeing come from techs who aren't follow proper procedure for things like static discharge before handling the boards.

Well given that mine was done at CineMike i doubt that they know what they are doing and once it started to give problems they helped to resolve them could only find the problem by swapping out parts from a second avp. If it somehow happend during install then thats the good news but we have to wonder why it would take so long to show itself. I am more worried about heat i am checking the service manual and schema now and wonder if its the fpga that broke in all 3 cares (makes sense to me from what i remember from limited schooling in hardware). The new dsp's feed directly into the fpga on the old board using the upgrade connector.

Ill try to find out (service manuals are kinda big) if the fpga is under the upgrade board or not.

Daniel.

PS: i always assumed the 3 old dsp's are of the same model and running at the same speed (dsp-1, dsp-2, dsp-3) but 1 is adsp21366 at 260Mhz and 2 are 337 at 333Mgz. They are all now not in use anymore after the upgrade (kind of a pity to buy a new board and not using them).

post #25872 of 27157 Old 03-09-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Daniel, i'm with you on the 3D upgrade thing, 3-4 AVPs with digital board issues after upgrade , you have to wonder ???

I have the AVP service manual & it notes 64 other wise I would never of thought that, I better double check that though as it could be 50+biggrin.gif

gsr I agree Electrostatic discharge is certainly A real possibility/ simple mistake by Tech eek.gif & the problem is that the Damage caused may not show up for months later mad.gif

Cheers
post #25873 of 27157 Old 03-09-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Daniel, i'm with you on the 3D upgrade thing, 3-4 AVPs with digital board issues after upgrade , you have to wonder ???

I have the AVP service manual & it notes 64 other wise I would never of thought that, I better double check that though as it could be 50+biggrin.gif

gsr I agree Electrostatic discharge is certainly A real possibility/ simple mistake by Tech eek.gif & the problem is that the Damage caused may not show up for months later mad.gif

Cheers

Agreed, looking at the service manual and drawings maybe there are 64 boards smile.gif, Pffff i can see why some lesser tech people don't want to work on this unit. It reminds me of some 70's french car brands that had engines so packed most mechanics would refuse to work on them. Anyway lets hope this is not a trend but like you i am a little worried for the future given the avp's solid track record this seems odd.

Daniel.

post #25874 of 27157 Old 03-09-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

"Ill try to find out (service manuals are kinda big) if the fpga is under the upgrade board or not."

Daniel there's no FPGA on the upgrade board ( just double checked one then) , But you are correct the main Digital boards FPGA is just re flashed during the upgrade process smile.gif

!00% agree Its a sophisticated piece to work on.. having A spare chassis would make the job much much easier just swapping out boards .
post #25875 of 27157 Old 03-09-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

"Ill try to find out (service manuals are kinda big) if the fpga is under the upgrade board or not."

Daniel there's no FPGA on the upgrade board ( just double checked one then) , the main Digital boards FPGA is just re flashed smile.gif

Thats what i mean sorry if i was not clear i know its not on the new boards but it might be under the new board and i was wondering about heat. Since the upgrade board is piggy-back riding on top of it. But again the weird thing is my avp had problems with sound loss (upto 20dB per channel random) when it was COLD and once the unit heated for a few hours it was ok. very strange for this board.

edit: see how the new daughter board now overlaps the fpga ? I made this picture ehmm years ago before we had a kit but i think the size/layout is valid.

Daniel.

post #25876 of 27157 Old 03-09-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There's no question the upgrade board would reduce the air flow around the main Digital audio unit.

I cant recall if one of the rubber spacers for the upgrade board sit directly on the FPGA..

I know one of the rubber spacers on the top side of the upgrade board is placed atop A DSP

Cheers..
post #25877 of 27157 Old 03-09-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

There's no question the upgrade board would reduce the air flow around the main Digital audio unit.

I cant recall if one of the rubber spacers for the upgrade board sit directly on the FPGA..

Cheers..

Lets keep in mind we are just speculating at best here and at least i am not a pro in this (forgot most from school) since i am now mostly a software guy any active hardware fiddling was years ago for me.

Anyway thanks for looking into this with me.

Daniel.

post #25878 of 27157 Old 03-09-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Agreed all Total speculation smile.gif

I edited my above post noting A rubber spacer placed directly on one of the upgrade boards DSP's

Cheers..
post #25879 of 27157 Old 03-09-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thats what i mean sorry if i was not clear i know its not on the new boards but it might be under the new board and i was wondering about heat. Since the upgrade board is piggy-back riding on top of it. But again the weird thing is my avp had problems with sound loss (upto 20dB per channel random) when it was COLD and once the unit heated for a few hours it was ok. very strange for this board.

edit: see how the new daughter board now overlaps the fpga ? I made this picture ehmm years ago before we had a kit but i think the size/layout is valid.

Daniel.

I have the same problems especially with stereo sources DSPed to 7.1 or 9.1. Also, only when the AVP is 'cold' - goes away after some time. I don't have these problems with HD sound sources. A Blu-Ray never shows these problems. Was it the same in your case or different?
post #25880 of 27157 Old 03-09-2014, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I know one of the rubber spacers on the top side of the upgrade board is placed atop A DSP

Cheers..

I am not too sure if air flow was the issue my AVP, it is in a forced air ventilated plenum chamber with plenty of air forced past it even when the HVAC isn't on. However is would be difficult for that air to get into the gap in-between the daughter board and main board so those chips have the possibility of getting overheated.

My board failed immediately after a quadruple power bump. It is on a sine wave UPS but I hadn't put the A-100 on the UPS which was connected to the AVP over both HDMI and DL, maybe the voltage differential between the two during the rapid outages caused the problem, and it was the DL connection that failed. All equipment is now on the sine wave UPS.smile.gif

Lets hope that overheating isn't the issue or that Denon has a lot of replacement digital processing boards.

One final note;. There was a point where I thought that DL4 was not working. What I discovered was that if the AVP is connected to a display device that has not been validated over the HDCP connection, the DL4 clock light on the player WILL NOT light. If you discontent the display device and the AVP is not trying to validate the connection, DL4 and the clock light will operate. This condition can arise if you disconnect the AVP from the display device, disconnect the power from the AVP, reconnect the AVP and don't turn the display device back on BEFORE connecting and trying to operate a DL4 player.
post #25881 of 27157 Old 03-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomark911 View Post

Nah, that's not heavy lifting.
Try poa , that's Real heavy lifting.

Yes the POA is a real beast.

Quote:

Apology not necessary. My explanation was probably less than clear.
post #25882 of 27157 Old 03-10-2014, 12:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post

I have the same problems especially with stereo sources DSPed to 7.1 or 9.1. Also, only when the AVP is 'cold' - goes away after some time. I don't have these problems with HD sound sources. A Blu-Ray never shows these problems. Was it the same in your case or different?

Could be the same(ish) i would test using the test-tones and see. It started for me with only the center channel but got worse over the next months and moved to 6 of the 12 channels.

Daniel.

post #25883 of 27157 Old 03-10-2014, 08:29 AM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 545
I am getting the cold warm up issue with my Oppo connected VIA HDMI. Takes about 30 minutes for a 20db gain.
post #25884 of 27157 Old 03-10-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

I am getting the cold warm up issue with my Oppo connected VIA HDMI. Takes about 30 minutes for a 20db gain.

Wow this is getting a common thing now. not sure how to react i know it only got worse for me over time. In the end i could not 'fix' it anymore by offset (even when warm).

So what do we do now, ask for some response from D&M create a list of 'victims' ?

Daniel.

post #25885 of 27157 Old 03-10-2014, 08:56 AM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 545
I called Denon a week or so ago. They had me reset everything to factory defaults - didn't fix the issue. They said I'd have to bring it to a repair center.
post #25886 of 27157 Old 03-10-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Could be the same(ish) i would test using the test-tones and see. It started for me with only the center channel but got worse over the next months and moved to 6 of the 12 channels.

Daniel.

Thank you for your answer and I have to test it more thoroughly.
post #25887 of 27157 Old 03-10-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just to confer with others with affected AVPs
Its the center channel that had the issue with mine as well (atleast that I ever noticed) , & directly traced back to the digital audio board..

Started soon after the upgrade very intermittently & after A while progressively got worse to the point of showing up within half hour or less of being switched on.. it seemed to be connected to the digital side/ HDMI input.. I only use HDMI & XLR inputs though..

Cheers..
post #25888 of 27157 Old 03-11-2014, 01:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Its the center channel that had the issue with mine as well (atleast that I ever noticed) , & directly traced back to the digital audio board..

Started soon after the upgrade very intermittently & after A while progressively got worse to the point of showing up within half hour or less of being switched on.. it seemed to be connected to the digital side/ HDMI input.. I only use HDMI & XLR inputs though..

Cheers..

With now 4 or 5 units its becoming a clear signal that something is up. I am very worried now since i don't see any reason why it would not happen again. Its a pity you didn't test with the test-signals and i would advice the others todo so. If you use search you will find all the things i done to exclude parts (like rerouting signals). The weird thing is the dB loss that sounds like a analog component but the people at CineMike traced it to the fpga (i have to ask to make 100% sure i a assumed it was the fpga he stated the main chip) where the signal went in fine but never returned (to the same level) on the other side. You would expect given it to be in a analog part and if its in the fpga to be kinda random.

If it now effects say 5% of the people on this forum you have to wonder about this... So if you are effected please also perform the tests (or maybe others to just checking the levels using the test signals cold and warm is quickly done) since if its the fpga they might be able to buy more of them while my guess is the audioboards will be running out.

Sorry to create worry here in people's mind but last year i was the only one but now its looking like a virus....

Daniel.

post #25889 of 27157 Old 03-11-2014, 02:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi Daniel,
I did perform the simple Diagnosis stuff first before I delved into the board level tracing down the fault Like Re-assign the Center chan to the Right bank running test tones ecc

I was unable to isolate track the exact components responsible as unfortunately I didn't have A set of Service/ board Extenders at hand so limiting my ability.. But what I can say is the fault was around the center chan OP-amps or Coupling caps.. while on the test bench I was able to stop or minimize the issue momentarily by simply Applying Freeze Spray directly around the Center chan component's as explained above ..

Also I only listen to Analog in 2chan Pure Direct mode so never used the DSPs ..

Cheers..
post #25890 of 27157 Old 03-11-2014, 03:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 1228
Quote:

Cheers..

CM when was your upgrade done, as I know mine had a warranty on all works. I would be asking them to follow through on warranty smile.gif
cinema mad likes this.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page