Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 900 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 116Likes

post #26971 of 27157 Old 02-25-2018, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I had a chance to talk at length to the Emotiva guys at the UK Bristol AV Show yesterday. I looked at the RMC-1 and heard the XMC-1. The demo wasn't useful because it was just crash-bang video stuff and the RMC-1 was only on static display apparently having suffered a bit en route across the Atlantic. The talk was very valuable indeed. I discussed all the ways in which the Denon AVP was being used in my system and it is obvious that both Emotiva devices could act as a replacement and upgrade. The analogue stages are fully balanced and all other requirements seem to be better met by these more recent designs. The RMC is naturally the more attractive being very expandable. There are no units for sale for a few weeks but I am extremely tempted to go this route. At these prices - even in the UK - the kit has great potential to keep my system going on for many years at a high standard.

[I should add that I am aware the RMC-1 has been "nearly ready" for a while now and that might equally account for the static display. The XMC was definitely working! ]

There was no opportunity to see either Yamaha or Marantz items because they were not present in Bristol.

Meantime I continue to use the AVP hoping it will not actually fail completely for a while.

Last edited by DJB of Poole; 02-25-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26972 of 27157 Old 02-25-2018, 01:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21986 Post(s)
Liked: 11925
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomark911 View Post
Hi guys long time no see. I see some of you are still holding on your AVP's like i do. Nice move.
I was wondering if i could play atmos movies with Avp , by using the height channels. What do you think?
Yes. As long as the AVP has the "Audyssey MultEQ XT32/3D board upgrade" installed, the core Dolby TrueHD audio track would play and you can then use either DD PLIIz or DTS Neo:X to "simulate" audio to the height speakers.
post #26973 of 27157 Old 02-25-2018, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yes it has the upgraded Board with 3d and audyssy xt32 .
Where will i install the height channels? Front above the mains or over the viewing listening position asa atmos speakers? Also will i be using 2 speakers , or can i go with 4 ?
Thanks for the reply .

Limits established to be exceeded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26974 of 27157 Old 04-26-2018, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Trouble getting display via HDMI connected source

I have connected a HD DVD player to HDMI1 input of this pre-amp. I have also connected Monitor1 output to a projector (Epson 5030UB). When I select source as DVD which in turn is mapped to HDMI on Denon pre-amp,and then I play a DVD, I do not see any display at all. I am able to display GUI menu of pre-amp on the projector though. I am using latest 4K hdmi cables on the market. Thanks in advance
post #26975 of 27157 Old 04-27-2018, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anands View Post
I have connected a HD DVD player to HDMI1 input of this pre-amp. I have also connected Monitor1 output to a projector (Epson 5030UB). When I select source as DVD which in turn is mapped to HDMI on Denon pre-amp,and then I play a DVD, I do not see any display at all. I am able to display GUI menu of pre-amp on the projector though. I am using latest 4K hdmi cables on the market. Thanks in advance
Assuming you have definitely got the correct HDMI input selected in the source settings on the processor, then the problem must lie in the output settings on the HD player. Is it expecting to output a signal via HDMI rather than, for example, composite video?
post #26976 of 27157 Old 04-27-2018, 04:34 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
@anands : a few things come to mind:

1) Try other HDMI inputs on the Denon. It's possible that HDMI1 is defective.

2) Try connecting a different source device to the same input on the Denon. It's possible the HDMI output on the HD DVD player is defective.

3) Try connecting the HD DVD player directly to the display, bypassing the Denon completely. If this works, it's possible the HD DVD player and Denon just aren't compatible for some reason.

4) Try a different HDMI cable between the HD DVD player and the Denon as it's possible you've got a defective cable.

5) Post photos showing the connections you've made and the appropriate setup screens on the Denon. It's possible you have something connected or configured incorrectly.

Also, what brand and model of HD DVD player are you using?
post #26977 of 27157 Old 06-17-2018, 03:17 AM

Any folk in either UK or nearby countries, like to suggest where my AVP might be given a service check prior to sale, given that no useful spares exist?
post #26978 of 27157 Old 06-21-2018, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
That's a difficult point.
Nothing comes to my mind , specially in UK or around.

Limits established to be exceeded.
post #26979 of 27157 Old 06-26-2018, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Hey there everyone!

It has been a VERY long time since I’ve been here on this thread (or on AVS for that matter). I see there are still some AVP owners here that are still using theirs. Nice! Most I reckon have long since moved on to other processors. I am actually still an owner of a fully functional (non upgraded) AVP. I just couldn’t force myself to part with it.

So for the last 5 1/2 years it has been safely in its original box stored in my climate controlled bedroom.. I had toyed with the idea of one day re-installing the mighty AVP in my main theater room. This was due to just missing many of the functions it has that the Marantz AV8801 does not. But the years went by, and the AV8801 was faithfully doing its home theater duties, so there was no rush to do so. Well, here about 6 months ago my AV8801 started to act strangely. Audyssey, while functioning, was sounding off. Dynamic Volume which I have used and loved started just not working correctly. Surround volume that once was “just right” was now a bit too aggressive, and dialog would get too soft.

I finally decided I should try another Audyssey calibration. Well I don’t know if it’s a software issue, a microphone issue or something not right with the mini plug connector, but what it gave me was way way off! I know it’s not any changes to the room, seating, or speakers. They are all in the same location and have not been moved. So I may have to contact Marantz and see what they say. If there is something going amiss with my AV8801 I may have to send it in for repairs.

This brings me back to the mighty AVP. I may be re-installing it at some point really soon. The thing is I am so far out of the loop with this complex beauty that I may have to ask for some help from you all. The last time I had to do any adjustments, calibration, etc. was when I got my second Martin Logan Descent. That was back in 2008! So it has been a whopping 10 years since the last time I delved into the menus on the AVP.

The Marantz AV8801 has been a solid performer, with great surround for movies, but imho it did not match the overall sonic prowess of the Denon AVP. In short I really really miss my AVP.

Seth
Sam S and alebonau like this.
post #26980 of 27157 Old 06-27-2018, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Hi Seth, great to hear from you.

Sounds like the 8801 is developing the same audio board issues with loss of gain in certain channels after it warms up (or permanently), seems capacitors on those boards can go after 5+ years. Same happened to my AVP digital audio board, I've lost 2 surround channels. So it's 5.1 capable only.
BTW- Anyone wants to make an offer for it as parts, I even have an Extra Digital audio board. But this unit will need to go to United Radio (?) for a refurb. if they want a functioning unit.

In your case, I'd recommend selling off the 8801 and the AVP and get an 8805, many ex-AVP guys are happy with their 8802A or 8805's. I really like the results from my 8802A.
As for setup of the AVP, well, this thread is treasure trove of knowldge. And if you can locate what happened to our WetPaint Wiki on the AVP, maybe in the wayback machine, you can find some of the setup guides there. Let me know if you want the setup spreadsheet I had posted there.

Cheers,

Joanthan

Jonathan
post #26981 of 27157 Old 06-27-2018, 06:39 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

^ I’ll second the recommendation to switch to the Marantz AV8805. Since I got my 8805 from the first batch, my AVP has been sitting unused waiting for me to find it a good home. I’ve been strongly advised by a couple of dealers I respect to NOT ship the AVP via ground service with FedEx or UPS, so I’m most likely going to only go with a local sale unless someone wants to arrange freight service to ship it. I have the original box and accessories and it’s an upgraded unit (for 3D and the other updates) and in excellent condition both cosmetically and operationally.
post #26982 of 27157 Old 06-27-2018, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6868 Post(s)
Liked: 15444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post
Hey there everyone!

It has been a VERY long time since I’ve been here on this thread (or on AVS for that matter). I see there are still some AVP owners here that are still using theirs. Nice! Most I reckon have long since moved on to other processors. I am actually still an owner of a fully functional (non upgraded) AVP. I just couldn’t force myself to part with it.

So for the last 5 1/2 years it has been safely in its original box stored in my climate controlled bedroom.. I had toyed with the idea of one day re-installing the mighty AVP in my main theater room. This was due to just missing many of the functions it has that the Marantz AV8801 does not. But the years went by, and the AV8801 was faithfully doing its home theater duties, so there was no rush to do so. Well, here about 6 months ago my AV8801 started to act strangely. Audyssey, while functioning, was sounding off. Dynamic Volume which I have used and loved started just not working correctly. Surround volume that once was “just right” was now a bit too aggressive, and dialog would get too soft.

I finally decided I should try another Audyssey calibration. Well I don’t know if it’s a software issue, a microphone issue or something not right with the mini plug connector, but what it gave me was way way off! I know it’s not any changes to the room, seating, or speakers. They are all in the same location and have not been moved. So I may have to contact Marantz and see what they say. If there is something going amiss with my AV8801 I may have to send it in for repairs.

This brings me back to the mighty AVP. I may be re-installing it at some point really soon. The thing is I am so far out of the loop with this complex beauty that I may have to ask for some help from you all. The last time I had to do any adjustments, calibration, etc. was when I got my second Martin Logan Descent. That was back in 2008! So it has been a whopping 10 years since the last time I delved into the menus on the AVP.

The Marantz AV8801 has been a solid performer, with great surround for movies, but imho it did not match the overall sonic prowess of the Denon AVP. In short I really really miss my AVP.

Seth
Hey there, mi amigo!

Great to hear from you. Sorry it has to be about your dying 8801 tho. Maybe it's the audio Gods way of saying let the big Denon flex it's a/v muscle one last time. Now remember when unboxing it, this thing is as heavy as a power amp. Lift with your legs.

If you do go the new processor route, I have the 8805 and can whole heartedly endorse it. Whichever way you decide please keep us informed. #VivaLaDenonAVP

post #26983 of 27157 Old 06-27-2018, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
^ I’ll second the recommendation to switch to the Marantz AV8805. Since I got my 8805 from the first batch, my AVP has been sitting unused waiting for me to find it a good home. I’ve been strongly advised by a couple of dealers I respect to NOT ship the AVP via ground service with FedEx or UPS, so I’m most likely going to only go with a local sale unless someone wants to arrange freight service to ship it. I have the original box and accessories and it’s an upgraded unit (for 3D and the other updates) and in excellent condition both cosmetically and operationally.
Yep, same story here with my AVP + newly-acquired AV8805. I'm not too concerned about shipping it, as the original box is in good shape.

I'm more concerned I'll just miss it too much, the AVP is something special!
post #26984 of 27157 Old 06-27-2018, 01:58 PM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 545
I have both an AVP and an 8802A - both very good systems. I think the AVP sounds better - warmer and richer. I think the 8802a handles a lot of audio that that the AVP can't. If I was using mostly for music I'd stick with the AVP. If I was using it mostly for HT, I'd get an 8805.
post #26985 of 27157 Old 06-27-2018, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post
Hi Seth, great to hear from you.

Sounds like the 8801 is developing the same audio board issues with loss of gain in certain channels after it warms up (or permanently), seems capacitors on those boards can go after 5+ years. Same happened to my AVP digital audio board, I've lost 2 surround channels. So it's 5.1 capable only.
BTW- Anyone wants to make an offer for it as parts, I even have an Extra Digital audio board. But this unit will need to go to United Radio (?) for a refurb. if they want a functioning unit.

In your case, I'd recommend selling off the 8801 and the AVP and get an 8805, many ex-AVP guys are happy with their 8802A or 8805's. I really like the results from my 8802A.
As for setup of the AVP, well, this thread is treasure trove of knowldge. And if you can locate what happened to our WetPaint Wiki on the AVP, maybe in the wayback machine, you can find some of the setup guides there. Let me know if you want the setup spreadsheet I had posted there.

Cheers,

Joanthan
Hey Jonathan!

Whatever is going on with my AV8801, it sure is getting annoying. The AV8805 looks like a really nice unit. But I think if I do spring for one I’m going to wait until units start shipping with HDMI 2.1 pre installed. I don’t like the idea of having to box it up and send it in for an upgrade. The upcoming Emotiva flagship looks promising, but I wouldn’t buy one of the first available (if at all). I would wait a good 4-6 months and see how buggy it is. It may be a product worthy of competing with brands that are much more expensive, but only time will tell. I have never owned any Emotiva products, so I don’t know of their reliability.

So for the time being I will most likely be re-installing the Denon AVP. It was working perfectly when I boxed it up 5 1/2 years ago, so here’s hoping all is still well with it.

The Wetpaint Wiki Denon AVP/POA Owners site is still there, but I need to see if all the important info is still there.

And I just might need that setup spreadsheet from you. If I do I’ll PM you. Thanks buddy.
post #26986 of 27157 Old 06-27-2018, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Like I was telling Jonathan, if I do go for an AV8805 I’ll wait until units start shipping with HDMI 2.1. Having to ship stuff off for an upgrade isn’t something I’m too keen on doing. So it’s looking more likely that for the time being, I’m going to put my Denon AVP back into the system. Here’s hoping all goes well and the AVP is still working as perfectly as it was when I last used it.
post #26987 of 27157 Old 06-27-2018, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Hey there, mi amigo!

Great to hear from you. Sorry it has to be about your dying 8801 tho. Maybe it's the audio Gods way of saying let the big Denon flex it's a/v muscle one last time. Now remember when unboxing it, this thing is as heavy as a power amp. Lift with your legs.

If you do go the new processor route, I have the 8805 and can whole heartedly endorse it. Whichever way you decide please keep us informed. #VivaLaDenonAVP
Hey Wabo!

Thanks bud. Yeah it sucks when AV gear stars acting up. I have wanted to put the Denon AVP back in the setup for a while, now I’m going to get my chance.. Yep, that beast is HEAVY! I’m going to get help when I put it back in there.

The AV8805 is probably in my future, but for now it’ll be the AVP. Once it is installed an up an running I’ll let you all know how it goes.
post #26988 of 27157 Old 06-27-2018, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
I have both an AVP and an 8802A - both very good systems. I think the AVP sounds better - warmer and richer. I think the 8802a handles a lot of audio that that the AVP can't. If I was using mostly for music I'd stick with the AVP. If I was using it mostly for HT, I'd get an 8805.
I used to listen to a LOT of 2 channel music through my AVP, but once I went to the AV8801 I listened to 2 channel music less and less. And for the last few years I haven’t listened to any using the Marantz. For me the AVP offered a music listening experience that the AV8801 couldn’t match. I don’t know if the 8805 is more “musical” than the 8801, but I still have a feeling the AVP still edges it out in 2 channel.
post #26989 of 27157 Old 06-27-2018, 07:29 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post
Yep, same story here with my AVP + newly-acquired AV8805. I'm not too concerned about shipping it, as the original box is in good shape.

I'm more concerned I'll just miss it too much, the AVP is something special!
The advice was that no matter what condition the original box is in (mine is also in excellent condition), the AVP is a combination of too heavy and has too many boards that can be knocked loose as a result of “normal” ground handling procedures.
post #26990 of 27157 Old 06-27-2018, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 1228
Quote:
id concur with this advice

the avp was true all out flagship where as marantz is really mass market

until a true flagship comes along i'll keep using my av8802a. it doesnt have the gonads the avp had.

one day sound limited that now owns denon marantz classe might do themselves and us a favour and re release a true 9 series flagship marantz or denon avp or classe 900 or something of ilk. anything like it would do

we are over due on both classe 800 and denon avp replacements. history has shown every 10 years denon does a flagship A series processor has done for 3 decades.... the 4th decade is here... its still 2018... so there still is a chance denon to not miss the boat...

suspect it will be a classe though

am happy to use my dedicated 2ch rig music wise and compliments well wiht my av8802A
but I miss my avp....

and yes when I sold mine it needed to go back to the shop to get its boards re inserted. they get jiggled in transit !

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #26991 of 27157 Old 06-28-2018, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
id concur with this advice

the avp was true all out flagship where as marantz is really mass market

until a true flagship comes along i'll keep using my av8802a. it doesnt have the gonads the avp had.

one day sound limited that now owns denon marantz classe might do themselves and us a favour and re release a true 9 series flagship marantz or denon avp or classe 900 or something of ilk. anything like it would do

we are over due on both classe 800 and denon avp replacements. history has shown every 10 years denon does a flagship A series processor has done for 3 decades.... the 4th decade is here... its still 2018... so there still is a chance denon to not miss the boat...

suspect it will be a classe though

am happy to use my dedicated 2ch rig music wise and compliments well wiht my av8802A
but I miss my avp....

and yes when I sold mine it needed to go back to the shop to get its boards re inserted. they get jiggled in transit !
Hi Al!

Yes, the Denon AVP was a true flagship. It was definitely a statement piece that was almost over engineered, but all that went into its development really showed in its performance and of course its build quality. To date it has been the finest preamp processor I have ever owned. Like you, I really wish that Denon, Marantz, or even Classe’ would introduce a reference flagship of the quality and flexibility of the Denon AVP.

I know if one were to be introduced it would be expensive. How much so would be anyone’s guess. But if one was introduced it would definitely sell for people like us looking for a worthy replacement for the mighty Denon AVP.

When I first bought the Marantz AV8801 in early 2013, I almost convinced myself to sell the Denon AVP. But I finally thought, why sell it? I just couldn’t see myself parting with it.. And now I’m glad I didn’t.

I may buy an 8805, or “possibly” the upcoming Emotiva flagship (ETA unknown) if it really proves to be a true statement piece that is functionally sound and bug free. But for the time being, I have no need for Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, or the soon to be released HDMI 2.1 (I think only Yamaha is now shipping units that are V 2.1).

The AV8801 was a good processor, so I’m not gonna knock it as it did serve me well for 5+ years. But as well as it worked, and gave me many years of movie listening enjoyment, I really didn’t enjoy using it as much as I did my Denon AVP.

Now I’m just hoping that after all these years, my AVP still works as well as it did when I last used it.

Last edited by ohyeah32; 06-28-2018 at 12:54 AM.
post #26992 of 27157 Old 06-28-2018, 06:50 AM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

I loved the AVP - I don't think I've ever heard anything better. That being said I wish it was built more like a PC - I never ever ever want to remove it and ship it somewhere for an upgrade. One of my units came back with the volume/channel issue after the hdmi upgrade. Frankly since I build PCs and servers day in and day out I doubt the HDMI upgrade would have been too complicated for me. Anthem kept on insisting I send my amps in for a "professional" repair when the power units on the amps went. However due to my company email they thought I was a repair center and sent me the parts when I requested them - took all of 10 minutes each to fix my 3 amps - only time consuming part was the 20 screws on each. Imagine if Ford only sold replacement distributor caps to "authorized dealers".
post #26993 of 27157 Old 06-28-2018, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I totally agree! The idea of having to send in a processor for a hardware upgrade is not something I like. For that reason I will wait to buy whatever new processor I do get so I will not have to ship it back for an HDMI 2.1 upgrade. I’m sure by early/mid 2019 there will be some good choices in processors with onboard HDMI 2.1.

And you’re right, companies should design products that are built more like a PC. Easier to swap things out and upgrade.
post #26994 of 27157 Old 06-28-2018, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #26995 of 27157 Old 06-29-2018, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Just curious, how many here still own and use their AVP’s?
I still use mine every day. Had a 8801 for two months, and a 8802a for a year, but kept the Denon, as I like the AVP better.
I will try the 8805 later this year, but see no reason to trade in.

Deck
alebonau likes this.

Oppo BDP-95EU, BDP-105D (CFW), UDP-205, Denon DVD-A1UD, Pioneer HLD-X9
Med800x3d, PCH-410A
Denon-AVPA1HD3D & POA-A1HD, Pioneer KRP-500A & KRP-600A
Synology 1815+ x 2 (72TB), Synology 1817+ x 2 (64TB)
CAT6A cabled network
post #26996 of 27157 Old 06-29-2018, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Just curious, how many here still own and use their AVP’s?
It's still the love of my life and the center piece to my HT, even though I now run 4K. Unfortunately it can't support immersive audio but what I have never had I can't miss.

I cannot imagine what I would replace it with.
post #26997 of 27157 Old 06-29-2018, 10:52 AM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

I wish the Denon person who used to be on this thread was still here.
post #26998 of 27157 Old 06-29-2018, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 21986 Post(s)
Liked: 11925
Quote:
I wish the Denon person who used to be on this thread was still here.
To whom are you referring? The only Denon person I'm aware of was DenonJeff and I don't believe he ever posted in this thread.
post #26999 of 27157 Old 06-29-2018, 01:40 PM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Really - for some reason I thought DenonJeff said that he used to read this thread at CES.
post #27000 of 27157 Old 06-29-2018, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckarep View Post
I still use mine every day. Had a 8801 for two months, and a 8802a for a year, but kept the Denon, as I like the AVP better.
I will try the 8805 later this year, but see no reason to trade in.

Deck
Great to hear that you are still enjoying your AVP! Nice to know that after using the 8801, and 8802a, you liked the Denon AVP better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page