"Official" Denon AVR 2809CI/989 Thread - Page 195 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #5821 of 5852 Old 02-23-2018, 08:57 AM
los

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
AFAIK, with HDMI Control set to OFF, that shouldn't be the case. Cycle it ON/OFF and then power the AVR off and unplug the power cord and HDMI cables for at least 10 minutes.

Thanks! I'll give this a shot next.

Carlos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5822 of 5852 Old 03-05-2018, 12:11 PM
los

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by los View Post
Thanks! I'll give this a shot next.
That didn't work quite as expected, but it is better, so I'll take it. Thanks!

Carlos
post #5823 of 5852 Old 05-30-2018, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm trying to get video feed from my denon avr-2309CI, can anybody help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5824 of 5852 Old 05-30-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker View Post
More specifically I can't find a setting that would lead to this and have tried quiet a few, I am getting audio to my wired speakers.
post #5825 of 5852 Old 05-31-2018, 02:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22893 Post(s)
Liked: 12518
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker View Post
Oops! Wrong thread. Please repost in the 2309CI Owner's thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post14402954

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 05-31-2018 at 02:26 AM.
post #5826 of 5852 Old 07-20-2018, 08:40 AM

Liked: 10
Is there a way to have the Zone 2 output follow the main zone when switching HDMI inputs?
post #5827 of 5852 Old 07-20-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerla View Post
Is there a way to have the Zone 2 output follow the main zone when switching HDMI inputs?
Only if the HDMI source is also connected with analog audio cables in addition to the HDMI cable as HDMI audio will not pass to Zone 2.
post #5828 of 5852 Old 07-20-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Only if the HDMI source is also connected with analog audio cables in addition to the HDMI cable as HDMI audio will not pass to Zone 2.
Do you know if the new models have the ability to pass digital audio through the Zone 2 out? Maybe the AVR-X2400H?

Also does the Monitor HDMI cable also have the audio ? Would I be able to "monitor" audio of any video at the TV ?

Last edited by Mikerla; 07-20-2018 at 12:16 PM.
post #5829 of 5852 Old 07-20-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Do you know if the new models have the ability to pass digital audio through the Zone 2 out? Maybe the AVR-X2400H?

Also does the Monitor HDMI cable also have the audio ? Would I be able to "monitor" audio of any video at the TV ?
Only the X3000 and above series are able to pass PCM 2.0 audio from an HDMI/optical/digital coax source to Zone 2 as well as also having a dedicated Zone 2 HDMI Monitor output to pass the HDMI video+audio to either another TV or AVR, with the source passing either 2CH or multi channel audio depending on what the TV/AVR can accept.
post #5830 of 5852 Old 07-20-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Only the X3000 and above series are able to pass PCM 2.0 audio from an HDMI/optical/digital coax source to Zone 2 as well as also having a dedicated Zone 2 HDMI Monitor output to pass the HDMI video+audio to either another TV or AVR, with the source passing either 2CH or multi channel audio depending on what the TV/AVR can accept.
We spoke before and i am trying to find a work around to connect my hearing aid streamer as well as hook my devices via HDMI to the 2809. Does not sound like i would be able to do that.

What about a direct connect to the speaker connections?
post #5831 of 5852 Old 07-20-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
We spoke before and i am trying to find a work around to connect my hearing aid streamer as well as hook my devices via HDMI to the 2809. Does not sound like i would be able to do that.

What about a direct connect to the speaker connections?
With an optical/digital coax/analog audio cable connected from the source to the 2809, you should be able to connect the hearing aid streamer to the Zone 2 pre-outs and then select the same source that is playing in the main zone to Zone 2.
post #5832 of 5852 Old 07-20-2018, 04:21 PM

Ok so any input but HDMI for audio. Thanks that helps.
post #5833 of 5852 Old 12-21-2018, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Got my first 4K device

My 2809 is still serving me well as a pre-pro, feeding a Rotel power amp. I recently upgraded my TV for a LG OLED 65B7 and connected it to display the output from the 2809 and it looks great with my existing HD sources.

But I just got my first 4K source, an Nvidia Shield. I know I can't hook it out directly to my 2809 for switching so can anybody clue me on the best way to get audio?

I'm thinking

video: Shield --HDMI--> TV
audio: ?? TV --Optical--> Denon ??

or does the 2809 support ARC?

any advice appreciated.
post #5834 of 5852 Old 12-21-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collin View Post
My 2809 is still serving me well as a pre-pro, feeding a Rotel power amp. I recently upgraded my TV for a LG OLED 65B7 and connected it to display the output from the 2809 and it looks great with my existing HD sources.

But I just got my first 4K source, an Nvidia Shield. I know I can't hook it out directly to my 2809 for switching so can anybody clue me on the best way to get audio?

I'm thinking

video: Shield --HDMI--> TV
audio: ?? TV --Optical--> Denon ??

or does the 2809 support ARC?

any advice appreciated.
The 2809CI does NOT support ARC, so optical from the TV is an option which cannot pass HD audio. Note that 4k BDPs generally feature dual HDMI outputs such that HD audio can be passed directly to the AVR with one HDMI output and the 4k video passed directly to the TV with the other output.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 12-22-2018 at 02:02 AM.
post #5835 of 5852 Old 12-22-2018, 01:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
The 2809CI does NOT support ARC, so optical from the TV is an option which cannot pass HD audio. Note that 4k BDPs generally feature dual HDMI inputs such that an HD audio can be passed directly to the AVR with one HDMI output and the 4k video passed directly to the TV with the other output.
Thanks for the response. I guess I'll have to look at an X3x00 sooner rather than later.
post #5836 of 5852 Old 02-15-2019, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The remote on my 989 stopped turning the unit on..once I start the unit from it's main power button the rest of the stuff works on the remote..

post #5837 of 5852 Old 02-20-2019, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Denon 2809 ci Speaker issues

Good afternoon everyone, first timer here so please bear with me.

Been using my 2809 ci for years with no issues. Earlier this week I lost low frequency sound. Running a Definitive Technology SuperCube 1 subwoofer. Through much trial and error have now determined the sub indeed went out (bought a used sub on CL and plugged it in to test - worked fine).

So, in getting the low frequency issue resolved, I have now come across and issue where the front surround speakers do not seem to function immediately. The front surrounds come on eventually (like a 5 minute delay - warm-up period ) but I am concerned that my amp is a bigger part of the problem than I am considering.

Any guidance about why my front surround speakers are delaying their response?

Thank you for the assistance

Jeff
post #5838 of 5852 Old 02-20-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffzou View Post
Good afternoon everyone, first timer here so please bear with me.

Been using my 2809 ci for years with no issues. Earlier this week I lost low frequency sound. Running a Definitive Technology SuperCube 1 subwoofer. Through much trial and error have now determined the sub indeed went out (bought a used sub on CL and plugged it in to test - worked fine).

So, in getting the low frequency issue resolved, I have now come across and issue where the front surround speakers do not seem to function immediately. The front surrounds come on eventually (like a 5 minute delay - warm-up period ) but I am concerned that my amp is a bigger part of the problem than I am considering.

Any guidance about why my front surround speakers are delaying their response?

Thank you for the assistance

Jeff
Try using the Front B speaker posts as a test.
post #5839 of 5852 Old 04-25-2019, 10:10 AM

Question No Audio

I had an old Sony home theater in a box that was starting to go bad. A receiver with a small 5.1 speaker setup. The right channel died on me. So a friend gave me their old Denon AVR-2809CI but I'm having even more trouble with that. No sound.

The first thing I did before even plugging in the Denon power cord was to wire all the speakers and plug in the optical cable from our LG C6 TV. The TV was already set up to send audio out through the optical from when I had it hooked up to the Sony receiver. Then, when I turned the Denon receiver on, I did a factory reset right away.

I have the optical cable plugged into the TV/Cable optical input. For the input and source settings, I have HDMI set for none, and the audio input assigned to optical 1. But no sound is coming through.

Originally I was actually getting static with occasional snaps and pops. And every once in a great while, traces of static-filled audio from the actual source sneaking through. For that reason, I thought it might be a bad optical cable. But it did work fine with the Sony receiver.

I haven't tried hooking anything else up to it yet and don't have another optical cable to try. But to make sure it wasn't some kind of sound output problem to the speakers, I went into the Denon menu to run the speaker tone test.

Originally the speaker level tone test produced static coming through the center channel speaker for both the center channel tone test and oddly also for the subwoofer tone test. Nothing came through for any other channel.

So I tried messing around with the optical cable. Trying different inputs, different digital settings from Auto to DTS, to PCM, etc. Doing the same thing on the TV, changing the output settings from Auto to PCM, etc. the only thing that changed is that now when I run the speaker channel tone test, there is nothing from any channel at all. Occasionally a couple audio pops from the center channel speaker when I select the subwoofer test. But that's it.

The only "tricks" I could think of trying were blowing compressed air through the air vents to try to clean it out (there wasn't too much in there though) and shooting air into the headphone jack since I read that can be a problem. I've also triple checked all my connections. And tried multiple combinations of input settings. No changes.

There are two speaker patterns on the display panel. I assume the left side is detecting the channel inputs. And I assume the right side is detecting the audio channel output to the speakers. The left side looks correct so I assume everything is being detected properly. But the right side is weird. The left and right front channels are faded. I tried to attach a photo but can't figure out how to do it through my phone just yet.

Can anyone help me with any other tricks, anything silly I might have missed, or am I just out of luck? Thank you for any advice or suggestions.
post #5840 of 5852 Old 04-25-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedevilman View Post
There are two speaker patterns on the display panel. I assume the left side is detecting the channel inputs. And I assume the right side is detecting the audio channel output to the speakers. The left side looks correct so I assume everything is being detected properly. But the right side is weird. The left and right front channels are faded. I tried to attach a photo but can't figure out how to do it through my phone just yet.

Can anyone help me with any other tricks, anything silly I might have missed, or am I just out of luck? Thank you for any advice or suggestions.
Correct, although this can be confirmed reviewing the Owner's manual, which if your friend didn't provide it, you can download it from Denon's downloads webpage.

Try doing a couple more microprocessor resets and if still no joy, it would seem your friend gave you a defective unit.
post #5841 of 5852 Old 04-26-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Correct, although this can be confirmed reviewing the Owner's manual, which if your friend didn't provide it, you can download it from Denon's downloads webpage.

Try doing a couple more microprocessor resets and if still no joy, it would seem your friend gave you a defective unit.
Thank you. I'm pretty sure it's dead. What's weirdest to me is that it started with static and now there's nothing.

Last edited by thedevilman; 04-26-2019 at 08:51 PM.
post #5842 of 5852 Old 05-31-2019, 01:40 PM

Liked: 11
Sound low

Hi Everyone, It's been a while since I've been here but I thought you guys might be able to help me. I have a Denon 2809ci and recently the max volume has been greatly reduced. When I get all the way to 0.0db it is still not very loud. I used to rock the house with this receiver so something must be wrong. It is the same no matter the input or setting, and I've tried them all. Would resetting the receiver help? I don't want to lose my audyssey settings. Any help would be great.
post #5843 of 5852 Old 05-31-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounddelux View Post
Hi Everyone, It's been a while since I've been here but I thought you guys might be able to help me. I have a Denon 2809ci and recently the max volume has been greatly reduced. When I get all the way to 0.0db it is still not very loud. I used to rock the house with this receiver so something must be wrong. It is the same no matter the input or setting, and I've tried them all. Would resetting the receiver help? I don't want to lose my audyssey settings. Any help would be great.
First try doing a "soft reset" which results in no loss of settings --> Power off the AVR and unplug the power cord for 10 minutes.

If no joy, then a "microprocessor reset" is the next step which would result in loss of settings.
Sounddelux likes this.
post #5844 of 5852 Old 11-30-2019, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have had the 2809ci for many moons now... I am curious if I would be able to update and be satisfied with the purchase of the avr-x2500H? generally speaking. I am at a different place in life than when I purchased this beast. My priorities no longer leave me with the desire to drop $1K on a receiver. Any and all thoughts are appreciated. thank you in advance
post #5845 of 5852 Old 12-02-2019, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked: 5336
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfact0r82 View Post
I have had the 2809ci for many moons now... I am curious if I would be able to update and be satisfied with the purchase of the avr-x2500H? generally speaking. I am at a different place in life than when I purchased this beast. My priorities no longer leave me with the desire to drop $1K on a receiver. Any and all thoughts are appreciated. thank you in advance
It all depends on your needs. If you want a more modern AVR with support for switching 4K HDMI sources, WiFi network audio streaming, app control, etc. then a newer mid-level model will do just fine. In fact, the slightly lesser X1500H is very similar to the X2600H except for a few less inputs, so you could even go down a level depending how many sources you have.

What you'll find is that these newer, lower level models will have reduced build quality, be quite a bit lighter, but will be more feature packed. If you just need to run a simple 5.1, 7.1, or 5.1.2 Atmos setup, a newer model will do the trick. If you're happy with the 2809CI and have no intent to start adding 4K sources, then I would stick with what you have unless you really desire some of the newer features like built-in WiFi + network audio streaming.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #5846 of 5852 Old 12-03-2019, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
It all depends on your needs. If you want a more modern AVR with support for switching 4K HDMI sources, WiFi network audio streaming, app control, etc. then a newer mid-level model will do just fine. In fact, the slightly lesser X1500H is very similar to the X2600H except for a few less inputs, so you could even go down a level depending how many sources you have.

What you'll find is that these newer, lower level models will have reduced build quality, be quite a bit lighter, but will be more feature packed. If you just need to run a simple 5.1, 7.1, or 5.1.2 Atmos setup, a newer model will do the trick. If you're happy with the 2809CI and have no intent to start adding 4K sources, then I would stick with what you have unless you really desire some of the newer features like built-in WiFi + network audio streaming.
Thank you for the thoughts, I have definitely added 4k sources, 4k player, xbox one s, and various streaming services. I was at Best Buy picking up something else over the weekend and they had an open box Denon 750 for $200, quite a step down from what I have and what I was considering getting but the price seemed to good to pass up.

My plan is to turn my 7.1 into a 5.1.2 maybe a 5.2.2 if I pick up another sub. I came across the x2500H on eBay supposedly new for $350. I would say my equipment is generally mid level at best. Is the X2500 worth the extra $150? I realize a lot of this is personal choice.
post #5847 of 5852 Old 12-03-2019, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1731 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Thank you for the thoughts, I have definitely added 4k sources, 4k player, xbox one s, and various streaming services. I was at Best Buy picking up something else over the weekend and they had an open box Denon 750 for $200, quite a step down from what I have and what I was considering getting but the price seemed to good to pass up.

My plan is to turn my 7.1 into a 5.1.2 maybe a 5.2.2 if I pick up another sub. I came across the x2500H on eBay supposedly new for $350. I would say my equipment is generally mid level at best. Is the X2500 worth the extra $150? I realize a lot of this is personal choice.
I had the 2809. It was made in Japan, and had more caps then a modern 11 channel Denon.
If you need a 4k switch amp then you need to upgrade, but the new amp may be less powerful and it could be made outside of Japan if that matters to you.
To me, I wanted the features so I went with the 4520 and then the 7200 and now the 8500. If you go with the lesser model, you gain some features but you may lose quite a bit. If sound isn't so important anymore, that may not bother you so much..
post #5848 of 5852 Old 12-03-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the thoughts, I have definitely added 4k sources, 4k player, xbox one s, and various streaming services. I was at Best Buy picking up something else over the weekend and they had an open box Denon 750, quite a step down from what I have and what I was considering getting but the price seemed to good to pass up.

My plan is to turn my 7.1 into a 5.1.2 maybe a 5.2.2 if I pick up another sub. I came across the x2500H on eBay. I would say my equipment is generally mid level at best. Is the X2500 worth the extra $150? I realize a lot of this is personal choice.
First remember, there is no price discussion in this thread ---> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...ls-sticky.html

The S750H will step down to the lower version of Audyssey MultEQ while the X2500H uses the same MultEQ XT as does the 2809CI and also includes a second HDMI monitor output (eg. TV and PJ in the same room). Although the X2500H would also come with a 3 year warranty (vs. 2 for the S750H) when purchased from an "authorized" dealer, some eBay sellers are NOT authorized dealers so there would be no warranty at all.
post #5849 of 5852 Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Having an issue with the video on the 2809ci. I have 4 sources with output to a projector, all utilizing HDMI cables. If any of the sources are at 1080p, I get a snowy picture. For those sources I able able to change output resolution (ie DVD), changing to 1080i or below gives a great picture. Bypassing the AVR, hooking up the projector direct to the source yields great picture, even at 1080p. Any reasons why the AVR is not liking 1080p?
post #5850 of 5852 Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeeishere View Post
Having an issue with the video on the 2809ci. I have 4 sources with output to a projector, all utilizing HDMI cables. If any of the sources are at 1080p, I get a snowy picture. For those sources I able able to change output resolution (ie DVD), changing to 1080i or below gives a great picture. Bypassing the AVR, hooking up the projector direct to the source yields great picture, even at 1080p. Any reasons why the AVR is not liking 1080p?
What is the length of the HDMI cable from the AVR to the PJ? If > 15', you'll likely need to add an HDMI repeater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page