"Official" Denon AVR 2809CI/989 Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 5854 Old 08-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Newbie
 
Dave691's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by haffee View Post

Sorry, you are right. It was the 889 I saw. Forgot that the big box stores carry those models.



What store? Do they sell online?

Sorry...no online.
Dave691 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 5854 Old 08-25-2008, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave691 View Post

Sorry...no online.

BestBuy.ca is authorized in Canada

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #123 of 5854 Old 08-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Member
 
haffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

BestBuy.ca is authorized in Canada

Yeah I know. But both the online store and the store in my city are quite slow at updating/getting stock in. I'll have to check with them periodically along with Futureshop.
haffee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #124 of 5854 Old 08-25-2008, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by haffee View Post

Yeah I know. But both the online store and the store in my city are quite slow at updating/getting stock in. I'll have to check with them periodically along with Futureshop.

You might check with JR.com and 6 th ave as I thought they ship to canada also.

Update: 6 th ave doesn't, but JR does.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #125 of 5854 Old 08-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Member
 
haffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks JohnAV. I'll take a look.
haffee is offline  
post #126 of 5854 Old 08-25-2008, 04:06 PM
Newbie
 
Dave691's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

No on 6th ave. Just asked online. JR should be OK,

Hi John AV,
Would you be able to help me with the question I posted for hooking up components properly?
Dave691 is offline  
post #127 of 5854 Old 08-25-2008, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave691 View Post

Hi John AV,
Would you be able to help me with the question I posted for hooking up components properly?

Have you checked the Quick Setup guide? Its quite helpful.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #128 of 5854 Old 08-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Newbie
 
Dave691's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Have you checked the Quick Setup guide? Its quite helpful.

Thanks...thats perfect but people have told me to use the optical cable as well or in place of the HDMI cable? What are your thoughts. I was quite sure you needed the optical for Dolby Digital?
Dave691 is offline  
post #129 of 5854 Old 08-25-2008, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave691 View Post

Thanks...thats perfect but people have told me to use the optical cable as well or in place of the HDMI cable? What are your thoughts. I was quite sure you needed the optical for Dolby Digital?

If you have a HDMI device (example DVD player) that supports both video + audio via HDMI output to the HDMI input on the receiver then optical cable is not required.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #130 of 5854 Old 08-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Newbie
 
Dave691's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

If you have a HDMI device (example DVD player) that supports both video + audio via HDMI output to the HDMI input on the receiver then optical cable is not required.

Thank you very much...this is easier than I thought. Appreciate you time.
Dave691 is offline  
post #131 of 5854 Old 08-26-2008, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 706
So first impressions?

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #132 of 5854 Old 08-26-2008, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
1MaNArmY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ogden, UT
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Have you checked the Quick Setup guide? Its quite helpful.

this should come in handy once I make my decision on which Denon to get the 3808 or 2809, still undecided

Sony 65X 900F
Denon X3400
Sony UBP-X800
Harmony Elite
1MaNArmY is offline  
post #133 of 5854 Old 08-26-2008, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
penngray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:


Denon to get the 3808 or 2809, still undecided

what part of the decision is hard for you?

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
penngray is offline  
post #134 of 5854 Old 08-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
1MaNArmY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ogden, UT
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

what part of the decision is hard for you?

network capability, GUI, flagship model, etc (frivolous/petty options). I know the 2809 is sufficient but if I can get a good deal on the 3808 I'll bite but I'm still waiting on the announcement on how much the firmware upgrade will cost for the 3808 to bring Dynamic EQ and Dynamic volume.

Sony 65X 900F
Denon X3400
Sony UBP-X800
Harmony Elite
1MaNArmY is offline  
post #135 of 5854 Old 08-26-2008, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
penngray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:


network capability, GUI, flagship model, etc (frivolous/petty options). I know the 2809 is sufficient but if I can get a good deal on the 3808 I'll bite but I'm still waiting on the announcement on how much the firmware upgrade will cost for the 3808 to bring Dynamic EQ and Dynamic volume.

cool, got it!!

btw, I would love if manufactures just added networking to ALL AVRs...it seems silly that they still dont!!

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
penngray is offline  
post #136 of 5854 Old 08-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Senior Member
 
jb1677's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MaNArmY View Post

....I'm still waiting on the announcement on how much the firmware upgrade will cost for the 3808 to bring Dynamic EQ and Dynamic volume.

Same here. I can get a 3808 for ~100 more than the 2808 (both at a great discount), if the planned upgrade is 100 or so then the 3808 with upgrade for 200 more than the 2809 would be hard to pass up for sure.....
jb1677 is offline  
post #137 of 5854 Old 08-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Senior Member
 
tds1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Eden Prairie, MN
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1677 View Post

Same here. I can get a 3808 for ~100 more than the 2808 (both at a great discount), if the planned upgrade is 100 or so then the 3808 with upgrade for 200 more than the 2809 would be hard to pass up for sure.....

I am waiting as well. The 3808 can be bought close to the price of the 2809 right now, but I really want Dynamic EQ/Volume. Was waiting for the upgrade procedure for the 3808 and cost to make a decision. If it's too expensive, may just go with the 2809.
tds1 is offline  
post #138 of 5854 Old 08-26-2008, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MaNArmY View Post

network capability, GUI, flagship model, etc (frivolous/petty options). I know the 2809 is sufficient but if I can get a good deal on the 3808 I'll bite but I'm still waiting on the announcement on how much the firmware upgrade will cost for the 3808 to bring Dynamic EQ and Dynamic volume.

Network capability (streaming from computer, internet radio) can still be done to any Denon receiver with using either ASD-3W: Denon iPod/Networking Client Dock with WiFi, or the ASD-3N: Denon iPod/Networking Client Dock. Using the ASD-3W for example gives you WIFI which the 3808 lacks, but no firmware updates are possible using this connection. The 2809 gets firmware updates via computer using RS-232 port. If you get a 3808 and have a Ipod then your still stuck getting a Ipod adapter.

Now the firmware update for 3808 has been said to be $150 (100 Euros in Europe) in October, but "no" Denon USA announcement has been given, so still big unknown for customers. Also Denon plans to raise prices a few hundred for a 3808A afterwards incorporating the new firmware, and then also is the so-called 3810 due a few months later (summer 2009).

So if you want Dynamic Voice and EQ now the 2809 is recommended.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #139 of 5854 Old 08-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Member
 
javajaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, my 2809 came a day early - I got it yesterday evening! It took forever to rip out my old AVR-5600 and get this thing hooked up. So far so good. I haven't had time to setup the Audyssey stuff - maybe tonight though. It took me forever to figure out why I wasn't getting TrueHD from my Blue-Ray though (had to enable bitstream on the BD-30). Ah, the joys of moden technology...
javajaws is offline  
post #140 of 5854 Old 08-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Newbie
 
F Hof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I have noticed on the Denon AV 2807 when I hooked th XM receiver up the only way to change channels was to scroll up or down. The nice folks at Denon customer support say that this is the case for all of their AVR's.
I would like to be able to punch in the number of the XM station on my remote. Any thoughts on how to do this or is there another brand that has this capability in the same price range (up to$1200)?



Thanks in advance,


f.
F Hof is offline  
post #141 of 5854 Old 08-26-2008, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by F Hof View Post

Hello,
I have noticed on the Denon AV 2807 when I hooked th XM receiver up the only way to change channels was to scroll up or down. The nice folks at Denon customer support say that this is the case for all of their AVR's.
I would like to be able to punch in the number of the XM station on my remote. Any thoughts on how to do this or is there another brand that has this capability in the same price range (up to$1200)?
Thanks in advance,
f.

See pages 53 and 54 of 2809 user manual (you said 2807 above).
The 2809 allows you to preset radio channels into memory for quick access (A-G, 1-8), and you can access XM radio channels directly by pressing search, then number (0-9) to input channel. They use example xm123, so you press [1]->[2]->[3] in this mode.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #142 of 5854 Old 08-26-2008, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by javajaws View Post

Well, my 2809 came a day early - I got it yesterday evening! It took forever to rip out my old AVR-5600 and get this thing hooked up. So far so good. I haven't had time to setup the Audyssey stuff - maybe tonight though. It took me forever to figure out why I wasn't getting TrueHD from my Blue-Ray though (had to enable bitstream on the BD-30). Ah, the joys of moden technology...

We all know the feeling.

Let us know your impressions once you have the new receiver calibrated and actually using the normal day setting of Dynamic Volume + EQ. I played I Robot last night and it was kinda a whole new experience sonic wise.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #143 of 5854 Old 08-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Newbie
 
rattar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just checked on Amazon. They have one left for $1200. Mine should be coming in soon.
rattar is offline  
post #144 of 5854 Old 08-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Classico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave691 View Post

Hello all...I am new to all of this so am looking for just some basic hook up help. I have a Denon 2809 receiver, Sharp Aquos LCD, HD satellite receiver and a PS3. These are all new and ready to hook up. I understand the use of HDMI cables...will need 2 but what about optical cables? If someone could inform me how to exactly hook up these 4 components I woul be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

You are in a new and different world. Optical cables are so yesterday. You will actually need at least THREE HDMI cables. 1 from each of your output devices going to the Denon and then 1 from the Denon to your Aquos. This assumes of course that your HD Sat Rec has HDMI capability. If it doesn't dump it for one that does (usually for free OR a small upgrade charge)

Are there other ways to connect things? Of course. But if you get good (not cheapo) HDMI cables you should be set. HDMI carries BOTH HD Video AND Lossless sound in ONE cable. Wait till you see & hear your PS3 HD games on your HDTV/Denon. And regular DVDs will look too good to be true and BDs will blow you away. Take your time to get the PS3 settings correct as well as doing the proper Denon setup. (in setting up your Audyssey, use at least 3 positions with a tripod for the mic, setting it first in your PRIMARY sitting position slightly ABOVE the seat back).

BTW, you might just try breaking in your system B4 Audyssey. Then when you do the MultiEq, savor the improvement.

Good luck,

Classico
Classico is offline  
post #145 of 5854 Old 08-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
1MaNArmY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ogden, UT
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Network capability (streaming from computer, internet radio) can still be done to any Denon receiver with using either ASD-3W: Denon iPod/Networking Client Dock with WiFi, or the ASD-3N: Denon iPod/Networking Client Dock. Using the ASD-3W for example gives you WIFI which the 3808 lacks, but no firmware updates are possible using this connection. The 2809 gets firmware updates via computer using RS-232 port. If you get a 3808 and have a Ipod then your still stuck getting a Ipod adapter.

Now the firmware update for 3808 has been said to be $150 (100 Euros in Europe) in October, but "no" Denon USA announcement has been given, so still big unknown for customers. Also Denon plans to raise prices a few hundred for a 3808A afterwards incorporating the new firmware, and then also is the so-called 3810 due a few months later (summer 2009).

So if you want Dynamic Voice and EQ now the 2809 is recommended.

I know JohnAV, all of your points have been well taken and you have been a great help in my decision process. I keep coming back the the 2809, it's obvious but ............. I really want the flagship model if the price is right and the firmware upgrade cost doesn't diminish the savings on a discounted 3808

Sony 65X 900F
Denon X3400
Sony UBP-X800
Harmony Elite
1MaNArmY is offline  
post #146 of 5854 Old 08-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Member
 
ghostcow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, I'm now very happy with this set up. This just blows away my last 5.1 system when it comes to movies. Watching Master and Commander you could just feel the boat creaking and the cannons booming, I'm so glad I'm not living in an apartment anymore!
Cheers!
ghostcow is offline  
post #147 of 5854 Old 08-27-2008, 12:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Classico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MaNArmY View Post

I know JohnAV, all of your points have been well taken and you have been a great help in my decision process. I keep coming back the the 2809, it's obvious but ............. I really want the flagship model if the price is right and the firmware upgrade cost doesn't diminish the savings on a discounted 3808

The flagship 5308 is list price at $5500 (unless you mean the AVP-A1 which is $7500) The "midship" 3808CI is $1600 and can be obtained for about $1100 (Certified Denon Retailer) if you know where to buy it. The word on the forum is the new Audyssey DynamicEQ features will cost around $150-200. I guess you'll have to make the price/value determination. But with the 2809 being new and NO discounts being offered just yet, maybe the 3808 isn't such a bad deal. In several months, when the 2809 is in more abundant supply, it may be $300-400 cheaper--if you're willing to wait. I have the 3808 & knowing what I know now, I would pay the extra money for the upgrade. But that's just me.

Classico
Classico is offline  
post #148 of 5854 Old 08-27-2008, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classico View Post

The flagship 5308 is list price at $5500 (unless you mean the AVP-A1 which is $7500) The "midship" 3808CI is $1600 and can be obtained for about $1100 (Certified Denon Retailer) if you know where to buy it. The word on the forum is the new Audyssey DynamicEQ features will cost around $150-200. I guess you'll have to make the price/value determination. But with the 2809 being new and NO discounts being offered just yet, maybe the 3808 isn't such a bad deal. In several months, when the 2809 is in more abundant supply, it may be $300-400 cheaper--if you're willing to wait. I have the 3808 & knowing what I know now, I would pay the extra money for the upgrade. But that's just me.

Classico

FYI the 2809 is already being sold from some authorized dealers at discount even though web site says list. All it just takes is a phone call and to discuss prices. I didn't pay list BTW and I started this thread.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #149 of 5854 Old 08-27-2008, 05:59 AM
Member
 
-Spiff-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Classico, what specifically do you know about the 3808 that would persuade you that it's better than the 2809?

My only real interest in 3808 is the additional power (for hopes of better dynamics, not volume) and the lower signal-to-noise DACs. My concern is that the better DACs might make a difference if I ever decided to use the pre-outs (which is unlikely).

While the 3808 does also have better ADCs, I don't really care since my audio pipeline will be purely digital->analog.

Generally, the out-of-the-box-without-a-hassle Audissey features of the 2809 make it a much stronger contender for me... And if it's good enough (actually the 2808) for a DTS theater to differentiate DTS-MA and DTS core, then it's probably good enough for me.

Anyone know which has a better scaler for 1080p video and better video pass-through features? BTB/WTW, Deep Color and xv.color are all quite important to me, since I don't want to upgrade the receiver if a new Blu-Ray standard comes out that supports any of these.
-Spiff- is offline  
post #150 of 5854 Old 08-27-2008, 06:05 AM
Member
 
Bayboy911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would you mind sharing the dealer where you bought it?
Bayboy911 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off