Official Pioneer SC-05 and SC-07 Owners Thread - Page 189 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #5641 of 17203 Old 03-05-2009, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ok2me View Post

Maybe it's something as simple as turning them on with the button, page 39.

Thanks for the tip.

That truly would be awesome if it is the problem (though i'd feel like a complete idiot) but I'm not that optimistic. They were on previously and page 39 says they default to on so I don't know why it would have switched to off just be unplugging and replugging it in.

I did most of the work with it powered off (all of it actually) so I couldn't blame my large a$$ in knocking into the button and flipping it off.

I'll still be sure to check it though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5642 of 17203 Old 03-05-2009, 11:41 PM

Got it working. Turned out to be the signal select button. I'm not sure what it was on, but once I switched it to digital, sound came to the surrounds.

Thanks for the help.
post #5643 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

I'm coming from a PS3 (which I also use to stream i-tunes using medialink software).

The BDP 51 sounds better than the PS3. Now, I've got some other issues with it (namely DVD layer change delays, bootup and BD disk reading times). But, SQ isn't one of those issues.

I'm awaiting FW upgrade disk from Pio to see if the bootup and disk read times improve. It's supposed to be a heck of an upconverting player with the FW upgrade.

Gotta say, I watched "Seabiscuit" DVD last night. I thought it did a wonderful job on PQ with that DVD. Can't wait to see how it does with new FW.

So you're saying a CD in the BDP 51 sounds better than a CD in the PS3, with both outputting digital data? Sweet (but a bit strange). Have you tried comparing with PQLS off in the 51? And is there a volume control in the PS3, or some EQ (bass/treble) that could affect the sound?

For your BDP-51, don't expect too much in terms of reduced time delays with the latest firmware. My 05FD was also at 1.08 when I got it, and the newer firmwares don't improve that much, at least not that I have noticed. From power-on to "no disc" always took around 25 seconds on the stopwatch (other reports 19 seconds, but I don't think they have HDMI connected). What you can expect with newer firmware is:
- Better upconversion, as you know;
- Faster response on chapter skips (your "bit of a letdown" in your initial review). I'm at 1.21, and 1.25a should be even better in that regard.

Dan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5644 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by info_dan View Post

So you're saying a CD in the BDP 51 sounds better than a CD in the PS3, with both outputting digital data? Sweet (but a bit strange). Have you tried comparing with PQLS off in the 51? And is there a volume control in the PS3, or some EQ (bass/treble) that could affect the sound?

For your BDP-51, don't expect too much in terms of reduced time delays with the latest firmware. My 05FD was also at 1.08 when I got it, and the newer firmwares don't improve that much, at least not that I have noticed. From power-on to "no disc" always took around 25 seconds on the stopwatch (other reports 19 seconds, but I don't think they have HDMI connected). What you can expect with newer firmware is:
- Better upconversion, as you know;
- Faster response on chapter skips (your "bit of a letdown" in your initial review). I'm at 1.21, and 1.25a should be even better in that regard.

Dan.

PS3 is a whale of a machine and does many things well (not best in any one category, except operationally). Can't explain it, but the BDP 51 sounds better. Makes no sense, but there you have it. Is it PQLS? Could be. Still, I really don't know why. I haven't tried listening with PQLS disengaged.

Video quality shouldn't be different either. But, I think the PS3 is doing some sort of "enhancements" that aren't user definable. BDP51 seems to display a richer, truer color.

The big trade off is operationally, where the PS3 is far superior to the BDP51. Startup, load times, menu GUI, etc. Also, I have my PS3 linked to my WiFi network. FW updates are just a menu click away.

As noted, using a MAC, I couldn't get the FW for the BDP51 to work once I burned it to a disk. I have to request it from Pioneer (and am still waiting for a week to receive). While it's no big deal to me to have DTS-MA decoding (like the PS3 has), that seems to be another FW update that's coming. So, the long wait will be hot on the heels of the current update I'm waiting for.

Don't get me wrong, for less than $300, I don't know that there's a better BD player out there over the BDP51, if you've got a pre-pro/AVR that's capable of decoding DTS-MA. But, if I were setting up a new HT system from scratch, I'd still probably go with a PS3 for $100 more.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #5645 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Okay, I have a question for owners of the SC-07. Is there a button for going to multi-channel on the remote? I'm using a Yamaha 2600 and its very convenient to just press one button to go to that format for my SACD/DVD-A collection. This receiver is one of the last two I'm considering. The other being the Onkyo 906B. Leaning heavily toward the SC-07. Looking at the remote pictures I've seen I've either overlooked it or is it something you have to do through a menu function. My SACD player is the Elite 79Avi and I'm not parting with it. This option is not one that would stop me from getting this AVR. Just have that damn upgrade bug. Thanks for any help. Also has anyone here ever bought from Abes of Maine. They have a remarkable price. Not worried about the authorized thingy. Didn't but the 79Avi from an authorized dealer, but it registered through Pioneer without a hitch. Would purchased a warranty from tapeworkstexas(Mack) and still save a lot of money.
post #5646 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Okay, I have a question for owners of the SC-07. Is there a button for going to multi-channel on the remote? I'm using a Yamaha 2600 and its very convenient to just press one button to go to that format for my SACD/DVD-A collection. This receiver is one of the last two I'm considering. The other being the Onkyo 906B. Leaning heavily toward the SC-07. Looking at the remote pictures I've seen I've either overlooked it or is it something you have to do through a menu function. My SACD player is the Elite 79Avi and I'm not parting with it. This option is not one that would stop me from getting this AVR. Just have that damn upgrade bug. Thanks for any help. Also has anyone here ever bought from Abes of Maine. They have a remarkable price. Not worried about the authorized thingy. Didn't but the 79Avi from an authorized dealer, but it registered through Pioneer without a hitch. Would purchased a warranty from tapeworkstexas(Mack) and still save a lot of money.

I used to have a 59 AVi. But, it's been awhile. IIRC, there's no need to hit any button to go to Multi-ch. It should read and recognize the disk as SACD/DVD-A. But, that was using i-link and not HDMI. Still, it shouldn't be necessary to make any choices in the AVR menu.

I know with my OPPO, I don't have to do anything when playing a SACD/DVD-A disk. It's connected via HDMI.

I've ordered other electronics through Abe's. Never had a hitch. Never ordered AV gear from them, though.

post #5647 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I used to have a 59 AVi. But, it's been awhile. IIRC, there's no need to hit any button to go to Multi-ch. It should read and recognize the disk as SACD/DVD-A. But, that was using i-link and not HDMI. Still, it shouldn't be necessary to make any choices in the AVR menu.

I know with my OPPO, I don't have to do anything when playing a SACD/DVD-A disk. It's connected via HDMI.

I've ordered other electronics through Abe's. Never had a hitch. Never ordered AV gear from them, though.

Unfortunately the 79Avi is only HDMI 1.1 complient. So the only option for multi-channel playback is analog. It will play Cd's,DVD's through HDMI but not SACD's/DVD-A. Did you see the price at Abes for this AVR? Would love to have an AVR with i-link, but they are out my price range with the newest offerings.
post #5648 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately the 79Avi is only HDMI 1.1 complient. So the only option for multi-channel playback is analog. It will play Cd's,DVD's through HDMI but not SACD's/DVD-A. Did you see the price at Abes for this AVR? Would love to have an AVR with i-link, but they are out my price range with the newest offerings.

I hear you about the death of i-link. Irritated me, too. If "catapult" drops by, I think he'll say the same.

Actually, I'm more irritated by HDCP compliance. None of this would be needed if media companies would quit being so paranoid.

Not certain about analog connections. I've never done them with my SC 05. I would think you could do this by assigning the 79AVi in the set up menu, though. That way it would be a simple remote button pick to wherever you assigned the 79AVi.

Don't know if you're only using DVD-A, but HDMI 1.1 supports it. It doesn't support SACD, though. You have to move to HDMI 1.2 for that.

post #5649 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:

I hear you about the death of i-link. Irritated me, too. If "catapult" drops by, I think he'll say the same.

You can add me to that list!
ss9001

Steve
post #5650 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

For reasons of their own, Pioneer doesn't choose to provide remote control of the multi-channel analog inputs (I assume that is what you are talking about). It can only be accessed on the front panel. It used to be in the Harmony database for my VSX-1015, even though it isn't on its remote, so it might be there for the 07 as well. It isn't for my 01, though.

If you have a spare input, you might be able to assign it to SACD/DVD-A and have it default to "Multi-channel in." Seems to work when people activate it by accident anyway. Or, if your player can send SACD/DVD-A over HDMI, you can use that (which is what I do now).

As for Abes of Maine, it seems to be better-than-average for a Brooklyn seller. (They haven't been in Maine for decades.) Many people have had good luck, a few, not so much. I'm wary of the breed, though. My suggestion would be to try a forum sponsor like Value Electronics, who offers comparable deals, but has built a reputation here.
post #5651 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

For reasons of their own, Pioneer doesn't choose to provide remote control of the multi-channel analog inputs (I assume that is what you are talking about). It can only be accessed on the front panel. It used to be in the Harmony database for my VSX-1015, even though it isn't on its remote, so it might be there for the 07 as well. It isn't for my 01, though.

If you have a spare input, you might be able to assign it to SACD/DVD-A and have it default to "Multi-channel in." Seems to work when people activate it by accident anyway. Or, if your player can send SACD/DVD-A over HDMI, you can use that (which is what I do now).

As for Abes of Maine, it seems to be better-than-average for a Brooklyn seller. (They haven't been in Maine for decades.) Many people have had good luck, a few, not so much. I'm wary of the breed, though. My suggestion would be to try a forum sponsor like Value Electronics, who offers comparable deals, but has built a reputation here.

Mac....unfortunately, HDMI 1.1 doesn't support SACD. It does support DVD-A, though.

Good point on using the Harmony. I didn't think of that. Then again, I don[t use any analog connections on my source gear.

post #5652 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Mac....unfortunately, HDMI 1.1 doesn't support SACD. It does support DVD-A, though.

Good point on using the Harmony. I didn't think of that. Then again, I don[t use any analog connections on my source gear.

I'm already using a Harmony so it will be just a matter of programming it. But it will have to be analog from the 79Avi for SACD and HDMI for everything else from it. No problem. Still fence sitting on this one and the 906B. Need to decide soon or else will miss out on both, especially SC07. Thanks all for the info.
post #5653 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Mac....unfortunately, HDMI 1.1 doesn't support SACD. It does support DVD-A, though...

Someone better tell that to Oppo. I've been happily playing multi-channel SACD's over HDMI on my Oppo 981/Elite VSX-01 combo since I got the latter.

Actually, I think it depends on how the signal is handled. The 981 converts DSD to PCM, so there is no problem with it passing over HDMI 1.1. The 980 will pass DSD, but it uses HDMI 1.2. Don't know what difference it would make in the end, though, as the AVR converts DSD to PCM anyway. Besides, one critic I respect (and has better ears than I) says he prefers PCM, making it all moot in my mind.

Either way, there aren't an abundance of SACD players that support HDMI at all, even if they have the output for video. (Okay, I guess I could have stopped at "there aren't an abundance of SACD players.")
post #5654 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

Someone better tell that to Oppo. I've been happily playing multi-channel SACD's over HDMI on my Oppo 981/Elite VSX-01 combo since I got the latter.

Actually, I think it depends on how the signal is handled. The 981 converts DSD to PCM, so there is no problem with it passing over HDMI 1.1. The 980 will pass DSD, but it uses HDMI 1.2. Don't know what difference it would make in the end, though, as the AVR converts DSD to PCM anyway. Besides, one critic I respect (and has better ears than I) says he prefers PCM, making it all moot in my mind.

Either way, there aren't an abundance of SACD players that support HDMI at all, even if they have the output for video. (Okay, I guess I could have stopped at "there aren't an abundance of SACD players.")

Mac....should have qualified that. HDMI 1.1 doesn't support DSD SACD.

I've got the 981, too. It never sounded as good as my previous Elite 59 AVi. PQ was better with the 981, though.

I agree....PCM for SACD/DVD-A is fine.

Bottom line, I'm just about to give up on the SACD/DVD-A formats. I've got probably 20 SACD/DVD-A disks. Mostly DVD-A, which I use in my car (Acura TL) since that audio system supports DVD-A. Although, my car has a great sound system, I doubt very seriously whether my next car's audio system will support DVD-A.

I probably haven't bought either format for over a year. It's time to admit the formats are dead.

Even dual disks are scarce.

Another format killed by in-fighting over which format was better.....DVD-A or SACD. You'd think dueling companies would learn. Beta vs VHS....HD-DVD vs Blu Ray.....SACD vs DVD-A.

post #5655 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Mac....should have qualified that. HDMI 1.1 doesn't support DSD SACD.

I've got the 981, too. It never sounded as good as my previous Elite 59 AVi. PQ was better with the 981, though.

I agree....PCM for SACD/DVD-A is fine.

Bottom line, I'm just about to give up on the SACD/DVD-A formats. I've got probably 20 SACD/DVD-A disks. Mostly DVD-A, which I use in my car (Acura TL) since that audio system supports DVD-A. Although, my car has a great sound system, I doubt very seriously whether my next car's audio system will support DVD-A.

I probably haven't bought either format for over a year. It's time to admit the formats are dead.

Another format killed by in-fighting over which format was better.....DVD-A or SACD. You'd think dueling companies would learn. Beta vs VHS....HD-DVD vs Blu Ray.....SACD vs DVD-A.

Don't know what kind of music you like on SACD, or what you have but there are 26 SACD's on yourmusic.com that all sell for 6.99 each. If you want to add to your collection they may have something there you may like and don't have. You can either buy now or join the club for free and have your choices sent once a month. Shipping is next to nothing or even free in some cases. And as for the PCM from your players is that in multi-channel or two channel only on SACD's?
post #5656 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

... It's time to admit the formats are dead.

Yeah, although I've stocked up on a few before they're completely gone. I try to stick to hybrids, and usually buy used ones for <$10. Not that I have a huge collection, maybe 40 or 50.

I kept thinking about SACD/DVD-A while everyone here was ranting about HD-DVD vs Blu-ray. You're right, you think the companies would learn, but human nature being what it is, it's probably too much to expect.
post #5657 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Don't know what kind of music you like on SACD, or what you have but there are 26 SACD's on yourmusic.com that all sell for 6.99 each. If you want to add to your collection they may have something there you may like and don't have. You can either buy now or join the club for free and have your choices sent once a month. Shipping is next to nothing or even free in some cases. And as for the PCM from your players is that in multi-channel or two channel only on SACD's?

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to look into that. Right in my price range.

The 981 provides full 5.1 multi-channel PCM output over HDMI from 5.1 multi-channel SACD's, although, of course, it can be set to use just the 2 channel layer if that is what you prefer.
post #5658 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I notice a lot of new people posting who are either thinking about the SC, or have just purchased one.

I know there are many questions as the SC's do many things very well. Trying to get the most out of them can seem like it's never ending. It's not.

That's the point I'm at. I've got it set up the way I like it and am reluctant to start changing things around to test some of the questions being posed.

We even had one user who went from a Denon 4xxx to an SC 07 to a Yammy and settled back with the SC 07 (FilmMixer).

Best advice I can give is to spend some time with the SC. CHP has listed a really excellent resource on the first page of this thread. Look through the manual. If you don't have access to the manual, a link for it can be found in the first page of this thread. If you still can't find the answer, give your question a shot in these threads.

There are no particular problems that any of us have come across. Yes, there are some features that we wish would work differently, but no real problems to speak of. The units are well engineered and very solid operationally. They sound and look great. They're among the most powerful AVRs currently on the market (confirmed by independent testers). There are no firmware updates that are available (although one person in Europe reported a technician came to his house to provide one a long while ago....something we could never confirm).

If you're asking for our recommendations, the vast majority of us own the SC. That should tell you how we feel about the gear. We like the SC series.....a lot!!!!!!! They are selling for less right now than we've ever noticed. We really don't know why. And, Pioneer isn't telling us.

We don't know if there are new models coming out (usually Pio releases their new models in September).

Short of that, it would be hard to go wrong with any of the models....depending on your particular needs.

post #5659 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I notice a lot of new people posting who are either thinking about the SC, or have just purchased one.

I know there are many questions as the SC's do many things very well. Trying to get the most out of them can seem like it's never ending. It's not.

That's the point I'm at. I've got it set up the way I like it and am reluctant to start changing things around to test some of the questions being posed.

We even had one user who went from a Denon 4xxx to an SC 07 to a Yammy and settled back with the SC 07 (FilmMixer).

Best advice I can give is to spend some time with the SC. CHP has listed a really excellent resource on the first page of this thread. Look through the manual. If you don't have access to the manual, a link for it can be found in the first page of this thread. If you still can't find the answer, give your question a shot in these threads.

There are no particular problems that any of us have come across. Yes, there are some features that we wish would work differently, but no real problems to speak of. The units are well engineered and very solid operationally. They sound and look great. They're among the most powerful AVRs currently on the market (confirmed by independent testers). There are no firmware updates that are available (although one person in Europe reported a technician came to his house to provide one a long while ago....something we could never confirm).

If you're asking for our recommendations, the vast majority of us own the SC. That should tell you how we feel about the gear. We like the SC series.....a lot!!!!!!! They are selling for less right now than we've ever noticed. We really don't know why. And, Pioneer isn't telling us.

We don't know if there are new models coming out (usually Pio releases their new models in September).

Short of that, it would be hard to go wrong with any of the models....depending on your particular needs.

Very well said, the first page of this thread has tons of insightful information and is a must read for any new owner.

Juan

My HT
post #5660 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

PS3 is a whale of a machine and does many things well (not best in any one category, except operationally). Can't explain it, but the BDP 51 sounds better. Makes no sense, but there you have it. Is it PQLS? Could be. Still, I really don't know why. I haven't tried listening with PQLS disengaged.

The PS3 seems like one of those boxes that almost has too many adjustments. It can change sampling rate, adjust volume, do bass management, etc., all on a digital signal. I don't own one but I imagine it takes some careful setup to make sure you're getting a pure unaltered signal out of the thing for all the different sound formats.

Dennis H
post #5661 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Yeah, although I'm not as irritated as I used to be. Pioneer seems to be putting a big enough HDMI cache in its receivers that jitter isn't really an issue -- the audio is being cached and reclocked just like i.link. So an Oppo player and a Pioneer receiver looks like a pretty good way to play DVD-A or SACD. Certainly better than analog out of the player where you lose all the EQ functionality of the receiver.

Dennis H
post #5662 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 04:10 PM

I jumped on the Pioneer bandwagon today. Will get my LX71 (SC-05) next week sometime. Moving from a Marantz Sr8001, so will be interesting to compare the two. I suppose it's not really an upgrade, more of sideway's move.

I went for it because I wanted the new the receiver to be able to decode the new formats, and because I wanted a receiver with HDMI 1.3a. Also I have a Pioneer LX5090 that I got before christmas, so hoping that the two of them work together. I know that the Marantz video pass-through isn't the best.

And the LX71 should be more powerful, and more green as well

Can't wait until it arrives!!
post #5663 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 04:28 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alazay View Post

well i did an ebay order $1200 for a sc-07 wish me luck
my previous VSX-74 was also a ebay order. and its still working flawlessly 3 years

Just an update for people contemplating on doing an ebay order. My SC-07 did come as described and works GREAT! (boy does this thing rock!). Here's some photos.
AVR in its home

Obligitory Box Shot
post #5664 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catapult View Post

The PS3 seems like one of those boxes that almost has too many adjustments. It can change sampling rate, adjust volume, do bass management, etc., all on a digital signal. I don't own one but I imagine it takes some careful setup to make sure you're getting a pure unaltered signal out of the thing for all the different sound formats.

So true about the PS3. I enjoy its "tweakability". But, as you mention, set up is critical. I think that's the main reason I'm hearing "better" out of the BDP 51. If I spent some time experimenting more with the PS3, that assessment could be different.

That said, as previously mentioned, I've spent the better part of the last 3 months upgrading, tweaking, re-tweaking different parts of my HT. I plan to change it around again this spring.

Right now, before I start on that, I want to just enjoy what I've got, how it looks, how it sounds, without messing with it any more.

Many, if not all questions can be answered on the first page of this thread. I think the "early adopters" of the SC are only too happy to help. But, getting the answer you need would probably be quicker by going to the 1st page of this thread.

I'm over my i-link disappointment. I had high hopes for SACD and DVD-A (which was i-link's most important job...transmitting digitally). As the format fades into the sunset, DVD-A and SACD playback are less critical for me.

Plus, i-link was the first connection option that allowed me to get rid of the spiderweb of analog cables used to transmit multi-channel audio. HDMI serves the same function, now (also replaced 3 component cables).

post #5665 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Gov
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:

Just an update for people contemplating on doing an ebay order. My SC-07 did come as described and works GREAT! (boy does this thing rock!). Here's some photos.
AVR in its home

Obligitory Box Shot

Great, now take the stickers off already!
post #5666 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

AVR in its home

Obligitory Box Shot

Good deal. Looks very nice (get rid of the stickers). Looks like an Epik or eD sub you're sporting with it, too? Or, is that an SVS?

Have fun......you're going to like it.

post #5667 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 05:00 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Good deal. Looks very nice (get rid of the stickers). Looks like an Epik or eD sub you're sporting with it, too? Or, is that an SVS?

Have fun......you're going to like it.

loving it! i took the stickers off after i took the photo. your right thats one my svs pb-13 ultras.
post #5668 of 17203 Old 03-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Ray
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The SC-07/05 are ghost sleeper receivers that will blow the doors off many on the market, the only thing that's missing is primer gray paint and Crager SS rims.
post #5669 of 17203 Old 03-07-2009, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I'm already using a Harmony so it will be just a matter of programming it. But it will have to be analog from the 79Avi for SACD and HDMI for everything else from it. No problem. Still fence sitting on this one and the 906B. Need to decide soon or else will miss out on both, especially SC07. Thanks all for the info.

The harmony database has the IR code for selecting the multi-channel analog input ("InputMultiChIn"), so yes to your original question, you can now have a single button for going direct to the multi-channel analog input.

With the original remote, you can use the "Next input" or "Previous Input" buttons, it's not mandatory to use the front panel's control.

Dan.
post #5670 of 17203 Old 03-07-2009, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
I have now had the SC-07 for over a week. And with this thread already being 189 pages long I am more then late to the party! I wanted to pair up my 09FD with a Pioneer receiver. I already have good AMP power so I did not really need get the 09 receiver. Plus I wanted to try PQLS over HDMI which the SC-07 has. So without going into a full review I will just say that I have been very impressed with the sound. The past 4 years I have been an Onkyo loyalist and before that Denon. I really like the way the Pioneer performs. I would say the onkyo (latest gen) and Pioneer SC-07 sound more alike than different. Still though, I plan to keep the SC-07 in my set up for awhile until I try another receiver (maybe a new Pioneer) or pre/pro (wish Pioneer would make one) sometime later this year. And today I have a Pioneer Kuro FPJ1 projector coming so I am looking forward to seeing how well the 09FD Blu ray player works with it. Combine those two with the SC-07 and my theater is really looking shiny black!

Back to the SC-07... I do like the simple menus and I like the parameter button on the remote. It allows me to make changes without having to go into the OSD GUI. There is also a bunch of options there! I won't go into to many details since there has been enough reviews already done on this gen of Pioneer receivers. I am just pointing out my personal tastes. I do wish the crossovers could be done individually. My center usually is set at 60 and I don't have that option with the SC-07. It is truly not the end of the world and I would not consider it a deal breaker. The MCACC is very simple and I think it provided good results. I have been doing the Audyssey set up a lot the past year and a half. The MCACC mics do need to be improved but I was able to still achieve very accurate results using my tripod in my main listening position (pretty much the middle of my theater). I also wish in the future they would allow to do at least 3 readings per setting. Still though, it was much faster then I was used to which worked out good. Also the volume... We are so used to having the absolute setting from the Onkyos so my family is very confused. We usually keep it in the 70s so going back wards takes some getting used to. Unless there is a way to change it and I just haven't stumbled upon it (or read the manual thoroughly).

Finally, I am noticing the clarity and the enveloping sound. I put in The Kingdom and you can hear every bullet whipping by and truly feel the suicide bomber's explosion when he detonates. The bass is very disciplined and not to rough on the ears. We also watched Emily Rose (The Exorcism) and when she is overtaken in her bed in her dorm room you can really feel it. The demon scenes through out the movie are very eerie and the sound has terrific clarity. The voices are spot on and have perfect tonality. My Wife loves Vin Deisel. The sound of his deep voice gets her excited (I know- this is a pg13 review) so she is really like the SC-07! We have also been watching the Supernatural seasons. The first couple are on SD dvd but the SC-07 handles them easily with its many sound options. She is also starting to like Jensen Ackles! My favorite has always been the Ultra2 Cinema mode. The SC-07 delivers. I also like the sports mode and have listened to some of the Super Bowl using it. I realize those are a matter of tastes and the PLIIx still sounds excellent as well. I have went on longer here than I planned so I will wrap this up again by simply saying again, the SC-07 delivers.

I inlcuded a pic of the SC-07 and 09FD hanging out together...
LL

4K HDR10- ignore the “rules” and trust your eyes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page