Official Pioneer SC-05 and SC-07 Owners Thread - Page 222 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #6631 of 17207 Old 03-29-2009, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

a LOT better... the processing is head and shoulders above the 1017.

see other comments in red.

good luck! fire away with any questions you have...

Quote:

partially... not familiar with that unit, so i'm not sure what the settings are, but i'm sure there's a thread in the blu-ray section on that player...

secondarily, you'll also need to pick the desired output when you play a disk from the disk menu... ime, there doesn't seem to be any consistency in the default settings...

Now I need to spend the money and order a sc 05. I hope I like it. Do you have one or the 07. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6632 of 17207 Old 03-29-2009, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve800x View Post

Now I need to spend the money and order a sc 05. I hope I like it. Do you have one or the 07. Thanks for your help.

i have an 05... i didn't "need" the few differences when i bought it, and the price differential was significant for us "early adopters"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #6633 of 17207 Old 03-29-2009, 10:06 AM

Previous receiver: Yamaha RX-V992
Speakers: KEF RDM 1 front, KEF Model 100 center, M&K MX 70B sub. Rears are brand known more for crystal radio kits.

Space is 8 by 12 alcove with 7 ft viewing distance, archway opening along one long wall.

Display: Pioneer PRO-950 HD
Sources: Tivo HD OTA, Pioneer BDP-51FD, Yamaha CD/DVD changer, Sony VHS

Wow.
Wow, it sounds really good!
Wow, it's complex to fully Understand and use!

The words clean, clear, full have been used in many owner reviews. They are all true. The MCACC set up the sound with a lot less bass than previous, and it kept telling me to go turn down sub manually. I obeyed. Room is very small and resonant. So far I like the sound for stereo music and movies. Lots of 'guts' when volume goes up a bit. Speakers sound great.

The zones are the sleeper handy feature. Have Speaker B as Zone 2 in adjacent living room (try figuring that out in the owner's manual). They are larger than KEF RDM's with more bass response. As Zone 2 they sound great, receiving full-range signal. As Speaker B in main zone they sounded thin. Setup seems to allow only all small if all speakers are driven off one zone, sending bass to sub, which in that case would be in another room. Solves my pet peeve with prior Yamaha that sub was rumbling away by itself in one room while speakers were playing in another.

Zone 3 is driving another receiver and kitchen speakers. It all works great if you have tiny thumbs and remember to keep switching all those little switches. Still working on programming Harmony remote.

The owner's manual: No doubt it is all in there somewhere and no doubt this is a complicated receiver to explain, but the person who designed the manual should be consigned to a purgatory of using it eternally.

Complexity of setup was in part physical - running new ethernet cable, rearranging components and cables, etc. Main Receiver setup is straightforward - learning controls and features is complex.

The receiver pairs well with Pioneer BD player, PQLS works when HDMI control is on. I have HDMI control off on TV, to prevent control trying to turn it on to play a CD. Jury still out on whether CD's sound better from 2-channel analog in or HDMI w/PQLS.

WAF: She took one look at the back when I set it on table out of box - "Get out - does it control NASA?" She actually seems to like it so far. Less boomy bass for music is big plus. Gradual control of volume is another. Too many buttons is not - got to program the Harmony.

Have not spent enough movie time yet to really appreciate advanced codecs. As it happened the movie we had teed up for Saturday night was "Frozen River," powerful story, but sound is very much in background. Dialogue seems to be crisper - not sure if MCACC is delaying mains to account for center being so much farther from listener. Not ideal, but part of the room setup for now.

Attached are some photos. Shiny black is a theme.

Thanks to all whose posts I have learned from. Best,

Brian
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6634 of 17207 Old 03-29-2009, 10:26 AM

hi all,

Have any of you compared the SC-05/07 to the B&K Ref70, Marantz 8003 and rotel 1570? I am interested in Sound quality comparison as primary consideration. I want to to buy an SC-05 and use it as a pre-pro.
post #6635 of 17207 Old 03-29-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:

1) i hope you didn't buy those hdmi cables at the store. if so, take them back and buy some that cost about 5% as much.

Thanks for the advice. Can you elaberate on the HDMI's?
"take them back and buy some that cost about 5% as much" ?
post #6636 of 17207 Old 03-29-2009, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer2600 View Post

I know that you can make up to 6 different settings for the MCACC calibration, but is their a way that I can have them switch automatically when I use different sources. Basically assign a setting to a source like setting 1 to TV, setting 2 to Blu-ray. I basically am looking to have different channel output levels for different sources and maybe go back and mess with some individual EQ settings on each.

It just seems like doing something like this would make sense since outputs are different from playing TV to say playing a Blu-ray movie.

Also what channel output levels do you use? Just wondering I assume that the proper way of setting up is boost the channel levels to a level where you are not "cranking" the volume knob?

Thanks

I think we would all appreciate it if more and more people such as yourself send these questions to Pioneer customer support because the answer is No.
post #6637 of 17207 Old 03-29-2009, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirxavier2012 View Post

many of us use the ones from monoprice...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #6638 of 17207 Old 03-29-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alerion View Post

Previous receiver: Yamaha RX-V992
Speakers: KEF RDM 1 front, KEF Model 100 center, M&K MX 70B sub. Rears are brand known more for crystal radio kits.

The words clean, clear, full have been used in many owner reviews. They are all true. The MCACC set up the sound with a lot less bass than previous, and it kept telling me to go turn down sub manually. I obeyed. Room is very small and resonant. So far I like the sound for stereo music and movies. Lots of 'guts' when volume goes up a bit. Speakers sound great.
...Complexity of setup was in part physical - running new ethernet cable, rearranging components and cables, etc. Main Receiver setup is straightforward - learning controls and features is complex.
... Dialogue seems to be crisper - not sure if MCACC is delaying mains to account for center being so much farther from listener. Not ideal, but part of the room setup for now.

Attached are some photos. Shiny black is a theme.

Thanks to all whose posts I have learned from. Best,

Brian

Brian:

You need to see if you can move that center to the top of the Pio PDP stand. That distance and height back is a killer for your soundstage.

Secure the PDP to the stand via some hardware and move it back. There should be room for the center that way.

Otherwise looks very nice.

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
post #6639 of 17207 Old 03-29-2009, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

many of us use the ones from monoprice...

If you have a Sam'sClub by you they sell Belkin HDMI cables. They compare favorably in my opinion to more expensive "Monsters" and cost 1/5th the price.

Less than $25 will get you 8 feet with gold plated well designed connectors and some stiff but also well designed shielded cable that will take a beating.

post #6640 of 17207 Old 03-29-2009, 12:34 PM

Thanks CCOTENJ.

Can someone give advice on Kuro Link. Should it be turned on?
I have a 141, sc07, bdp09.
post #6641 of 17207 Old 03-29-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso View Post

Brian:

You need to see if you can move that center to the top of the Pio PDP stand. That distance and height back is a killer for your soundstage.

Secure the PDP to the stand via some hardware and move it back. There should be room for the center that way.

Otherwise looks very nice.

Thanks for comments, eldithomaso.
There is room for center speaker on stand. I have tried it that way, and visual aesthetics are lousy - plus it blocks the shiny Elite on front of TV
I actually like 'airier' sound field of center speaker above rather than below.
Interestingly center speaker is line of sight right above center of TV screen when in sitting/viewing position (viewing is only two chairs), so direction of source is good, delay is more of issue. Those made-in-England KEFs have wonderful wide stage.
Am thinking about other solutions - may take center door off stand, put on shelf below display.

Was just watching DVD of West Side Story - 'America' is greatest choreography number ever filmed, IMHO. Sound field was fabulous, everything spatially right where it should be, far better than old receiver, even though 'old-fashioned' DD.
post #6642 of 17207 Old 03-29-2009, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks CCOTENJ.

Can someone give advice on Kuro Link. Should it be turned on?
I have a 141, sc07, bdp09.

Try it. It's on with my 111/07/BDP05 and works. I never use the features for control though so it seems it may help only with one touch start and play via BD player. My wife loves its convenience.

Pop a BD in the BDP-05, close tray, press play 2x and voila reciver turns on turns to BD, and 111 turns on to right imput and movie plays.

post #6643 of 17207 Old 03-29-2009, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=alerion;16149873]Thanks for comments, eldithomaso.
There is room for center speaker on stand. I have tried it that way, and visual aesthetics are lousy - plus it blocks the shiny Elite on front of TV
I actually like 'airier' sound field of center speaker above rather than below.
Interestingly center speaker is line of sight right above center of TV screen when in sitting/viewing position (viewing is only two chairs), so direction of source is good, delay is more of issue.
Am thinking about other solutions - may take center door off stand, put on shelf below display.
QUOTE]

Yes aesthetics - I fully understand. I had to find a decated stand for my 111FD that just holds four items: 1) 111FD on top glass; 2) Center Speaker on shelf below; and 3) SC-07/Network Switch/Sirius connection box/and Niles speaker selector. I will take and post a picture later.

Large center channel speakers are a placement nightmare.

Taking the middle door off sounds like a great idea. I bet it will sound much better.

post #6644 of 17207 Old 03-29-2009, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Can Speaker B be set large, when others are small? If so how?

HT system is 5.1, tried using Speaker B for adjacent living room. Not getting full range to those speakers, which are larger than HT KEF's. I switched to Speaker B as Zone 2, which gives independent source selection, volume control and full-range audio (but will not output BD HDMI input (top HDMI) even when playing stereo source on HDMI??). Adds control complexity.
Haven't gotten around to reprogramming Harmony.
Did quick search here, could not find answer. Apologies if already answered or obvious. Am starting to get into project mind dead zone....

Using Zone 2 does not allow listening from a digital audio source (not sure why) which is what your getting through HDMI. You can use the analog outputs of your BD player and just choose that source for Zone 2.
post #6645 of 17207 Old 03-29-2009, 02:47 PM

Best hdmi cables are from parts express. their dayton cables are rated and certified at 1.3b Ridiculous inexpensive and great performance.
post #6646 of 17207 Old 03-29-2009, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosros View Post

Best hdmi cables are from parts express. their dayton cables are rated and certified at 1.3b Ridiculous inexpensive and great performance.

MonoPrice has HDMI cables certified for Category 2, which is as good as it gets currently. But I agree that Parts Express sell fine quality cables at reasonable prices.
post #6647 of 17207 Old 03-29-2009, 03:59 PM

Is that the Dread Pirate Roberts I see on that screen?
post #6648 of 17207 Old 03-29-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBunning View Post

Is that the Dread Pirate Roberts I see on that screen?

It is - after whom our dog Bob was named. An all-time fav - just watched in blu-ray for third format.
post #6649 of 17207 Old 03-30-2009, 12:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Those made-in-England KEFs have wonderful wide stage.

Brian:

What KEF's do you have?

I just picked up a steal of a deal at a local chain here in So Cal owned by Best Buy called Pacific Sales. They carry KEF and I had a chance to audition some IQ series with a SC-07 connected. They are very musical (a bit on the bright side but not too much so for my tastes) and for 2k I found a nice 7.1 set for my bedroom.

They are very revealing and image well. The iQ series is not - it seems - made in England. For the value I can't complain though.

post #6650 of 17207 Old 03-30-2009, 04:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

Narnia, Prince Caspian, Nightmare Before Chistmas, Shoot'em Up, Bank Job, Forbidden Kingdom, Golden Compass ....a bunch of others in 7.1 out there, too.

DTS- MA and DTS HD are different names for the same codec.

Sorry graphicguy, that's only partially correct. There are two DTS codecs named DTS-HD:

DTS-HD High Resolution Audio: constant bit rate of 6 Mbps, NOT LOSSLESS

DTS-HD Master Audio: variable bit rate, up to 24.5 Mpbs, lossless.

References: Wikipedia and DTS site for Master Audio and High Resolution.

Dan.
post #6651 of 17207 Old 03-30-2009, 04:31 AM

Quote:

Go to http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=206362423

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=206362439

and

http://www.buy.com/prod/super-high-r...206362433.html

for the best cables for the money on the net! Free shipping and no tax depending on where you live. I also got several optical and S-Video cables as well for these prices.
post #6652 of 17207 Old 03-30-2009, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso View Post

Brian:

What KEF's do you have?

I just picked up a steal of a deal at a local chain here in So Cal owned by Best Buy called Pacific Sales. They carry KEF and I had a chance to audition some IQ series with a SC-07 connected. They are very musical (a bit on the bright side but not too much so for my tastes) and for 2k I found a nice 7.1 set for my bedroom.

They are very revealing and image well. The iQ series is not - it seems - made in England. For the value I can't complain though.

eldithomaso,
KEF RDM 1 Monitors for fronts, KEF Model 100 Monitor for center. Not large speakers, but very musical. Am now imagining a 7.1 bedroom After 31 years of 'mawwaige'....
By the way, tried the center speaker low thing, have to rebalance system, will report.
Thanks.
post #6653 of 17207 Old 03-30-2009, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by info_dan View Post

Sorry graphicguy, that's only partially correct. There are two DTS codecs named DTS-HD:

DTS-HD High Resolution Audio: constant bit rate of 6 Mbps, NOT LOSSLESS

DTS-HD Master Audio: variable bit rate, up to 24.5 Mpbs, lossless.

References: Wikipedia and DTS site for Master Audio and High Resolution.

Dan.

Dan....didn't know that. I learn something new every day. I've never run across anything that's been encoded with DTS "high resolution audio". Any software running it? Is this an "interim" step much like DD+?

Either way, I "THINK" the SC should decode ANY DTS codec.

On a side note, after running through some DVDs in my BDP51, my Oppo 981 is now on vacation. DVD playback via the BDP 51 is the best I've ever seen/heard from that format.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #6654 of 17207 Old 03-30-2009, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
alerion;
Thanks for your impressions and pictures!

Looks great, (except for the socks)

and thanks for explaining your use of zone2 and zone 3 as well.
I will add it to the front page with "Goeff"s zone configurations along with your impression.. much appreciated.

Sounds like your enjoying your new beast!

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
post #6655 of 17207 Old 03-30-2009, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

kramster73,
Thanks for the "blind taste test"

Glad you're liking it!
What's better, once it breaks in a bit, it gets even better!

(added audio impressions) to member's reviews.

post #6656 of 17207 Old 03-30-2009, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post

Still tweaking and I know I have to de-sticker her but so far Ice is very very nice

Looks sharp, Mark F

Thanks for sharing!

post #6657 of 17207 Old 03-30-2009, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

ss9001;

Thanks for responding. I really appreciate your input and experience with Susano.

Yeah, two sides, both compelling...

Of course I'll let everyone know what I decide...

Quote:

I do like the 09's no-prisoners build quality, separates construction, and the LCD display for glancing at settings & making

ccotenj;
The LCD is a factor, I won't deny it..
Quote:

i know it's a bit silly, but i WANT that little lcd screen... someone at pio knew what they were doing when they designed that in there...

i'd figure out a way to make it fit... heck, i'd probably build it it's own little shrine...

i thought of another drawback to charles getting the susano... we'd lose him here...

post #6658 of 17207 Old 03-30-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

On a side note, after running through some DVDs in my BDP51, my Oppo 981 is now on vacation. DVD playback via the BDP 51 is the best I've ever seen/heard from that format.

Yes I know the BDP51 is an amazing DVD player with amazing audio and video!

Scott
post #6659 of 17207 Old 03-30-2009, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is anyone at all running an SC-05 or 07 as a pre-pro. My guess is not so much as other AVR's due to the great amps in these units. What I am trying to determine is, if so, does the receiver stay pretty cool since the amps are at idle? Thanks.
post #6660 of 17207 Old 03-30-2009, 10:36 AM

So, according to the UPS Tracker, my SC-07 is "Out for Delivery".... I only hope that when I get home tonight my wife is not crushed on the floor underneath it.

Will be replacing a VSX-27TX that has served me fairly well for a few years... Hooking up to PS3, XBOX360, WII, Cable Box, Pio DVD player & out to the Samsung LCD and Epson Projector (needed those two HDMI outs!).

This is going to be a long afternoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page