Official Pioneer SC-05 and SC-07 Owners Thread - Page 505 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #15121 of 17207 Old 12-27-2009, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks FilmMixer -

I have gotten my receiver to recognize my laptop - thats working out just fine. What i'd like to accomplish is being able to walk around the house and use the ITOUCH as a remote and just be able to change music quickly and easily that way. Looks like the Airport is the necessary vehicle for this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15122 of 17207 Old 12-28-2009, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi gang.
I thought I would try bi-amping the 07 with my Paradigm Eclipse which went well using the manual however the surround back are now disabled in my 7.1 system. Can I add an external amp to my back pre-out and call it a day?
And if so , what setting do I use in the surround back settings?

If this has already been covered , my apologies.

Thanks
Geoff

Epson 1080p
Carada 96"
BEV 9200 x2
BEV 6000
post #15123 of 17207 Old 12-28-2009, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
wow, great question, Geoff!

My first inclination was to say, sure, why not..
But looking at the manual, I really don't think so

For your Bi-amping using the SC-07 amp exclusively to work, you need to set the speakers as Bi-AMP (5.1).. and I'm pretty sure that would preclude being able to utilize 7.1..

However, what about adding the amps you would for your surround backs and using them on the fronts?
That way you set it up as 7.1 and use the SC-07 and your amps for bi amping the fronts... just thinking out loud....
Hopefully someone more experienced can answer..

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15124 of 17207 Old 12-28-2009, 06:02 PM

you're right. Once I use the external amp for my backs ,the backs become un-adjustable and seem to mimic the fronts as far as the signal goes.

I have 2 power amps at my disposal. 1 is a 100 watt stereo amp and the other is a 200watt amp. Could I configure as you suggested using those two for the fronts?

Thanks

Epson 1080p
Carada 96"
BEV 9200 x2
BEV 6000
post #15125 of 17207 Old 12-28-2009, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

FYI, those of you with the BDP-05/51FD and SC combo..
The new 1.38 fw is available on Pioneeer's site:
http://pioneerusa.com/PUSA/Products/...1FD.Kuro?tab=F
One of the new features is supposed to remove a lot of the lag in layer changes on DVDs..

post #15126 of 17207 Old 12-28-2009, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post

you're right. Once I use the external amp for my backs ,the backs become un-adjustable and seem to mimic the fronts as far as the signal goes.

I have 2 power amps at my disposal. 1 is a 100 watt stereo amp and the other is a 200watt amp. Could I configure as you suggested using those two for the fronts?

Thanks

Gee, I'm not sure Geoff.. It should work, but I would think you want matching amps.. otherwise it may be difficult to set the gain.. but the stereo amp should be fine for the L/R fronts.
Sorry, I'm not really qualified for an opinion on this..
Hopefully one of our experts is and can answer...

post #15127 of 17207 Old 12-28-2009, 07:02 PM

is there a way of using the 200 watt amp to drive the bottom end of the fronts and let the 07 power the top end of the fronts and the rest of the surrounds, ...backs included?

Epson 1080p
Carada 96"
BEV 9200 x2
BEV 6000
post #15128 of 17207 Old 12-28-2009, 08:20 PM

Well CHP,
Go ahead and add me to the burnt out LED list. The left blue went out on my SC-05 X-Mas eve and has been mostly off since. It works sometimes after a power off/on cycle, but does not change while the amp is on. Not a big issue with me, it still sounds as sweet as the day I bought it.
Barring any other problems, I will wait until I take an extended vacation to send it to PIO (Being without for more than a few days will drive me crazy).
July, 08 Build. Purchased new March, 09.
It will be interesting to see if this minor glitch carries over to the 25/27 thread.
post #15129 of 17207 Old 12-28-2009, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Alright, not sure if this problem has happened to anyone else in the past, but it just happened to me tonight and I'm trying to find answers. Any input would be much appreciated. I've owned the SC-05 for about 7 months with no problems. When I turn on the TV, Cable box, Receiver I have the Comcast remote programed to the (Cable) cable box and the (TV) pdp-5020 plasma only. The receiver has always turned on by the HDMI Control Link after the Plasma turns on, nothing is programmed to the (AUX) on the Comcast Remote. Then I would have to hit HDMI on the receiver remote after it linked with the TV, all normal. Now, when I hit "All On" on the Comcast remote to turn OFF the TV, Cable, this is where the problem occurs. (The HDMI Link always turned off the receiver.) (You know how the receiver clicks twice when turned off, with the second click turning off the blue light?) Well, now it clicks ONCE and gets stuck, it does not click twice and the blue light remains on. It stays like this until I power the receiver back on, then it blinks "HDMI Through" for like 10 seconds and links back to the Plasma. I've waited seriously like all night (without knowing) and the SC-05 remains in that "half-way" point. HDMI Through is not on, HDMI is set to amp. I tried everything, unplugging, resetting, different cables and inputs, but the same thing. The receiver only turns half OFF with the blue light remaining lit. The only way to solve this problem is to completely turn off the HDMI Control within the SC-05 menu. And I decided to program the (AUX) of the Comcast Remote to control the SC-05. Now I lose the ease of my Oppo 83 and PS3 easily linking to the receiver via HDMI link. BTW, I'm using the Scientific Atlanta 4250HDC. Does anyone know if there is another way to solve this problem and still use the HDMI Control? Plan to call Pioneer tomorrow. Thanks!
post #15130 of 17207 Old 12-29-2009, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

jugglebob,

Please let us know how it goes!

One question.. have you gone to your display's menu under the HDMI Control settings menu (page 78 of your 5020 manual) and performed the test options?
Also is it possible from that menu you inadvertantly turned "Power Off Control" to OFF rather than ON at some point?

At any rate, good luck, hope it gets resolved quickly. Please let us know what happens.

post #15131 of 17207 Old 12-29-2009, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Steveoreno;

bummer.. odd though, how it's intermittant.. I will add your name to the list.
(This is the center LED light correct? The Left side?

Thanks for letting us know!

post #15132 of 17207 Old 12-29-2009, 09:45 AM

Never mind! Pioneer helped me find the problem. We unplugged each HDMI Cable one at a time and tried to power it on and back off again. First Oppo 83, Second Cable Box, Third HD-XA2, finally the PS3 Slim. It was not until I unplugged the PS3's HDMI that everything worked fine. I'm using all the same HDMI Cables (Monster M1000), so it might be a problem with the PS3's HDMI Control. I'll play around with that a bit. Thanks for reading! Hopefully this will help someone else that may be experiencing the same problem.
post #15133 of 17207 Old 12-29-2009, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

jugglebob,

Glad you got it resloved! Hopefully it turns out to be a quick fix.
Thanks for following up!

post #15134 of 17207 Old 12-29-2009, 10:05 AM

CHP_VR,

Well, it looks like the PS3 needed an update. Strange that was causing my receiver to not turn off properly. Now everything works fine. Thanks for your response!
post #15135 of 17207 Old 12-29-2009, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post

is there a way of using the 200 watt amp to drive the bottom end of the fronts and let the 07 power the top end of the fronts and the rest of the surrounds, ...backs included?

It can be done, just connect your external amp to the front out RCA jacks. The internal amps remain active, so both are available. But as CHP_VR said, matching the gain of two different amps could be problematical. They also may are may not track identically, although chances are that any variation would be too small to notice in practice.

Obviously, the best (or at least easiest) way is to use identical amps. However using a large amp for the woofer and a smaller one for the mid/tweeter is not unheard of. Since you already own the external amp, there is nothing to be lost by giving it a try other than your time.
post #15136 of 17207 Old 12-29-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Steveoreno;

bummer.. odd though, how it's intermittant.. I will add your name to the list.
(This is the center LED light correct? The Left side?

Thanks for letting us know!

Yes,
Center cluster, left blue. Funny thing is I powered on this morning twice and its working fine.
I am thinking it might be thermal expansion / contraction causing a loss of conductivity. District 9 BD came in so I will be watching today and will do a little testing.
Cold power on = working?
Hot power on = not?

I will let you know my results.
post #15137 of 17207 Old 12-29-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty123 View Post

Thanks FilmMixer -

I have gotten my receiver to recognize my laptop - thats working out just fine. What i'd like to accomplish is being able to walk around the house and use the ITOUCH as a remote and just be able to change music quickly and easily that way. Looks like the Airport is the necessary vehicle for this

I have a similar setup - add the "iRemote" app to your touch/phone and sync that to your compute via a wireless network, if you have it. Then you can control iTunes that way (as long as your computer is outputting the audio direct into your system). If not, you might need to use the Airport.
post #15138 of 17207 Old 12-29-2009, 01:05 PM

Ok Forum, does anyone have any input on the Pioneer Elite M-10X amplifier? I was thinking of using this instead of my SC-07 to power some new ML prefaces as my front L/R, and using the '07 to power the rest. Anyone heard god or bad or suggest another route?
Thanks
post #15139 of 17207 Old 12-29-2009, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugglebob View Post

Never mind! Pioneer helped me find the problem. We unplugged each HDMI Cable one at a time and tried to power it on and back off again. First Oppo 83, Second Cable Box, Third HD-XA2, finally the PS3 Slim. It was not until I unplugged the PS3's HDMI that everything worked fine. I'm using all the same HDMI Cables (Monster M1000), so it might be a problem with the PS3's HDMI Control. I'll play around with that a bit. Thanks for reading! Hopefully this will help someone else that may be experiencing the same problem.

Just a possibly dumb question even though those aren't supposed to exist. Could it be a problem with the HDMI port on the receiver and by disconnecting the PS3 the problem goes away (since the port is no longer in use). I guess the way to test that would be connecting the oppo through that hdmi port and the ps3 through another.

You know just to make sure
post #15140 of 17207 Old 12-29-2009, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

mhdiab:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugglebob View Post

CHP_VR,

Well, it looks like the PS3 needed an update. Strange that was causing my receiver to not turn off properly. Now everything works fine. Thanks for your response!

post #15141 of 17207 Old 12-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I posted this over on the Blu-Ray section for the Pioneer 320/23 players, but just in case maybe one of you fellow SC-05/07 owners might be able to help? Is there anything special about PQLS? Have you ever gotten it to even work??? Is perhaps the SC-05 too "OLD" of a model to enable multi-channel PQLS (like the 320 is only 2 channel and the 23 is multi-channel PQLS)? And does PQLS really make any difference in AQ? Thanks!

Quote:
I have had the 320 for a few weeks now and love it (not to mention that awesome Black Friday killer price!!!!!). But last night on impulse I went and bought the 23 to try it out. SADLY I was not able to get BB to give me that killer deal from last week, but they still gave me a nice deal off the regular price (I am a Permium Silver member, for some time now). So at the moment I have both.

Is there a post in here detailing the full differences between the 320 and the 23? I do know that the 320 only does 2 channell PQLS and the 23 does multi-channel PQLS, but other than the 23 matching my Pioneer Elite SC-05 AVR (yellow text and the cool blue/white light under the tray), I cannot tell any other difference to make the 23 worth the extra $$$ to keep it over the 320.

I have been trying to check out what all the PQLS hoopla is all about, but maybe I am doing something wrong? The SC-05 has PQLS, and I enabled it in the menu along with the 23. I could not get ANY DVD or BD movies to light up the PQLS on the 23, or show it enabled on the info screen of the SC-05. Only when I played a music CD did PQLS kick in, and only if using Stereo. The minute I changed it to multi-channel (THX mode or auto surround, direct, what ever), the PQLS turned off! I looked in the 23 manual and it said to have the KURO Link ON (did) and PQLS set to AUTO (did), and set the Audio to PCM (which I changed it to), and that any BD or DVD should then use PQLS = which it never turned on.

I have a 58" Panasonic Vierra 58PZ700U plasma, with the Pioneer Elite SC-05 AVR, and then both the 320 and 23 - all using Monoprice HDMI cables. As analog out is a non-issue for me, as well as load times, and I don't listen to music CD's except when in my car, I only care about movies and having the best PQ and AQ possible. So other than matching the looks of Elite/Elite, is there any reason to keep the more expensive 23 over the 320? Especially seeing as I just got laid off from work now (Ho Ho HOMELESS!!!!), and now staying at home and enjoying movies is very important to me to maintain sanity I want to make sure I keep the right player.

(PS: If anyone knows of a good IT headhunter, or jobs in my area for desktop support - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send me an IM???? Thank you!!!)

post #15142 of 17207 Old 12-29-2009, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The SC-05 and SC-07 is PQLS over HDMI for CDs only WRX_Rocky,
Quote:

Only when I played a music CD did PQLS kick in, and only if using Stereo

It's functioning exactly as it should..

The SC-05 and SC-07 is Stereo PQLS over HDMI with a PQLS capable Pioneer blu-ray player
The SC-25 and SC-27 has the multi-channel PQLS over HDMI with a multi-channel PQLS Pioneer Blu-ray player
The SC-09TX is multi-channel PQLS over iLink with any iLink PQLS/HATS capable DVD/SACD/Universal player (DV-59/79AVi etc)

As far as "better" AQ.. I believe it offers an incremental improvement.
Remember though, PQLS is for removing jitter.. and your SC unit already has about the lowest jitter available. PQLS just brings jitter down to almost zero with the SC units.

Jitter with HDMI input:
50ps Pioneer SC-LX81 (SC-07)

the anti jitter performance on the SC-07 is so great, I doubt PQLS matters very much (even though I am a proponent of it)

good reading here by welwynnick (including jitter performance from a variety of different AVRs):
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post16249931

good article here on HIFI News by Paul Miller on PQLS with the SC-07(SC-LX81) and BDP-LX91 (BPD-09FD)

There's some additional links on PQLS on the first page by FilmMixer, welwynnick and catapult.
I did a short observation here with my SC-07 and BDP-51FD.
There's also great review by eldithomaso compariing several Players with his SC-07 here.
Graphicguy's observatoin is here with his SC-05 and BDP-51FD

Very sorry about your job situation, hope things work out for you soon.
Best of fortune to you and yours.

post #15143 of 17207 Old 12-30-2009, 12:58 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for that info CHP_VR. As typical, too hasty to get new technology LOL. Well, now it is up to whether or not I want to keep the 23 to match with the SC-05 for looks, as nearly everything else is about the same. But it sure does look nicer than the slightly more plain 320.

Of course I cannot complain about the SC-05, cause I bought it way before the newer ones were even mentioned (and I had both a job and money back then too). And it has performed perfectly for me except for a few minor problems with LG BD players. But on thinking back, I could now say that those were NOT problems, but a blessing! Cause otherwise I might have been stuck with lemons, and not have gotten to these new PIO BD players. And of all the BD players I have tried (and load times are of ZERO concern to me), both the 23 and 320 have evrything I ever wanted. Best BD PQ, uterly fantastic SD DVD upscalling, and one of the best, most informative info (display) screens of any player. Even better than the PS3 info screen!!!
post #15144 of 17207 Old 12-30-2009, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

mhdiab:

oh - missed that one

Happy New Years everyone
post #15145 of 17207 Old 12-30-2009, 08:18 PM

Hi guys.

Owner of an SC-07 since June and have an issue tonight. All of a sudden I'm not getting any sound from the components connected from either optical or coax. The two components that are working are connected with analog and only work in Pure Direct mode.

I have tried the reset and all that did was force me to remap all the inputs. Still no dice. Anyone ever heard of this before?

I unplugged it for a while and I'll unplug it over night too. This was a 6th Ave purchase but I assume if I do need to send it in I would deal with Pioneer directly?

Bummed without my SC-07. Hooking up the 1015TX just isn't going to do it for me now.

Thanks guys,
Mike
post #15146 of 17207 Old 12-31-2009, 12:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:

As far as "better" AQ.. I believe it offers an incremental improvement.
Remember though, PQLS is for removing jitter.. and your SC unit already has about the lowest jitter available. PQLS just brings jitter down to almost zero with the SC units.

Jitter with HDMI input:
50ps Pioneer SC-LX81 (SC-07)

the anti jitter performance on the SC-07 is so great, I doubt PQLS matters very much (even though I am a proponent of it)...

Exactly.
I use an Oppo BDP-83 in my main system and I'm having a hard time justifying upgrading to the BDP-83 SE and using the analog outputs only, directly in "Pure Mode". Using the Oppo BDP-83 in bitstream mode via HDMI just sounds too good to me at this time into the SC-07. When I find the time, I will perform testing with the analog outputs of all my source players to be 100 percent sure that the analog outputs aren't "More Musical" than what I get now versus the HDMI route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post

Happy New Years everyone

mhdiab,

Thanks and you, too!
post #15147 of 17207 Old 12-31-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveoreno View Post

Yes,
Center cluster, left blue. Funny thing is I powered on this morning twice and its working fine.
I am thinking it might be thermal expansion / contraction causing a loss of conductivity. District 9 BD came in so I will be watching today and will do a little testing.
Cold power on = working?
Hot power on = not?

I will let you know my results.

Okay, Here are the results of my Official-UnOfficial UnScientific testing yesterday.
1. When powered up the LED status doesnt change during usage. Either on or off no matter how long the amp stays on.
2. Suspecting Thermal changes I did the following and got 5 consecutive, repeatable results:
Room Temp Power on = LED on.
Let amp sit at idle for 30 min to warm up. Turn off/Turn on.
LED off.
Turn amp off for 30 min. to cool. Turn on after cool down. LED on.

Five times in a row I did this and got the same results:
Room temp power on = LED on.
Warm power on = LED off.

WooHoo, My thermal diagnosis is confirmed. Not so fast Sherlock, lets fast forward to today.

Room temp power on = LED on.
Popped in District 9 BD and watched at -18 for +/-three hours.
Immediately following Turn off/Turn on, WHAT, Wait a minute, LED ON?

Well, There goes that theory. Wait, it must be a combination of heat AND vibration, I will start testing tomor.......... Nah, I dont really care about a little LED on an otherwise fantastic product. I will get it fixed one of these days when I wont miss it.

This great thread gets a little less usage every day and thought you guys might like a good read. Going to be a bummer when it starts slipping to page 5.

Happy new year to all.
post #15148 of 17207 Old 12-31-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Exactly.
I use an Oppo BDP-83 in my main system and I'm having a hard time justifying upgrading to the BDP-83 SE and using the analog outputs only, directly in "Pure Mode". Using the Oppo BDP-83 in bitstream mode via HDMI just sounds too good to me at this time into the SC-07. When I find the time, I will perform testing with the analog outputs of all my source players to be 100 percent sure that the analog outputs aren't "More Musical" than what I get now versus the HDMI route.

mhdiab,

Thanks and you, too!

Well, I ran across this post and it seemed relevant to my situation. I am likely going to purchase an OPPO BDP-83 in the near future, and I am confused about whether I will hear any audio benefit from paying the extra $400 for the SE version. I am running my current player into my SC-07 via HDMI, but if there was a way to get better audio from CDs, I would consider doing the SE version and running the signal out of the analog outputs.

I am wondering...does the fact that I am letting the SC-07's MCACC process the sound for my CDs negate any benefit that the OPPO SE would have?
post #15149 of 17207 Old 12-31-2009, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOG9 View Post

I am wondering...does the fact that I am letting the SC-07's MCACC process the sound for my CDs negate any benefit that the OPPO SE would have?

Yes it does. MCACC doesn't go near the analog inputs (improved on the SE model). OPPO is coming out with a new model (cheaper) and my guess is it will perform just as well via HDMI... which means you might want to wait.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #15150 of 17207 Old 12-31-2009, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well... I just got back from 2 weeks of vacation, turned on my SC-07 and plugged in my iPod to my HMG. It all went just fine, music played, all controls were good, and then I turned on my monitor (Kuro KRP-600m) to see some of the shots from the trip.

Ack! It is all green. The HMG screen was all green. So I tried the MCACC screen. All green!

I grabbed my new Canon still camera, plugged the yellow composite vid and black connector into the front panel and everything was green.

Oppo 83 BD player which goes through HDMI 1 is fine, so I know the cable is good from the 07 to the Kuro. Just to be sure I plugged component cables from the Oppo to the 07. GREEN. Everything other than HDMI is green. HDMI pass-through is perfect.

Anyone have any idea what might have happened? The 07 was not touched during those 2 weeks, but now all video conversion is messed up.

I'm about to get my Kuro calibrated, so I can not have my 07 acting messed up like this and need it hooked up. At least it works for BD!

Thanks...

shane

"Yes Eve... I like to watch." - Chauncey Gardener.

My HT Setup:
http://www.fototime.com/A0E2793180FB3D0/orig.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page