Official Pioneer SC-05 and SC-07 Owners Thread - Page 508 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #15211 of 17207 Old 01-07-2010, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I plan on purchasing a SC-?? model very soon but i noticed it doesnt have a switched outlet for my fan. My current onkyo 805 has one and i really enjoy the feature, without anything diy is there a fix for his? thanks

5.2.2. Display: Sony XBR75X940e, Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6, RSLCR, RS-FX, Atmos: Emotiva E2, Subs: SVS PB-12NSD x 2, Receiver:Denon AVR-X3300, Amp: Rotel RMB-1075, Sources: Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Denon DBP-1610, Roku Ultra, Toshiba HD-A3, Power Conditioners:Monster HTS-2600, HDP1800, Remote: Harmony 950. Desktop: Emotiva B1, Klipsch Powergate, Velodyne VX-11 PC: Ryzen 2700x, EVGA RTX 2080, 32gb DDR4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15212 of 17207 Old 01-08-2010, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

You may want more power, but I seriously doubt that you need it.

Your speakers are very efficient. I have a Mythos Three (together with STS's up front) and my meters confirm it draws very little power. It's rated at 91dB sensitivity, which means if you were using an average of one watt, your GF would probably issue an ultimatum.

Try this calculator to get an idea of how much power you actually use in your setup. Most people assume they use much more than they actually do.

ss9001 covered the setup issue rather throughly. I just want to add that MCACC adjusts the output so that "0" on its scale equals reference level output (85dB, much louder than most people will tolerate for long). With your sensitive speakers, that means it will substantially reduce output at any given reading. Don't worry about the number on the front panel. If you want it louder, just turn up the volume. You aren't using up the amp's reserves. Reference levels -- "0" -- will draw less than one watt with your speakers in a typical room. Even then, your AVR has plenty in reserve (it goes to ~ +12).

thank you sir... and i appreciate the responses from you guys.. some of them are hilarious but all make perfect sense.. i am probably just wanting to try different stuff.. everything sounds so great so i am trying to mess it up.. i added a second subwoofer and the overall sound just seems better to me.. i noticed my listening levels even seem lower.. now i am getting into the whole debate of high crossover >100 vs a low crossover <100 for the speakers labeled as small.

the weird thing is that if i run mcacc full auto and leave the settings, it puts a couple of my speakers as large and honestly it doesnt sound good at all..

if i manually assign the xover to say 80 or 100 and set all to small it sounds so much better.. but other than that i have been very happy with pioneer and mcacc..

on that note, do you guys set the crossover first then full auto mcacc or do you do it afterwards? or does it matter... maybe the ss9001 guy can answer since he seems to be "at one" with the whole process..

Quote:

I'd say it would. MCACC may read the furnace noise as part of the speaker output and include it in its calculations, thereby invalidating its room/speaker measurements.

It may be necessary to raise the playback volume to hear over the furnace, but for MCACC to change its EQ and phase calculations because of it would only exacerbate matters. On the other hand, if the furnace is that loud, I'd expect MCACC to say the ambient noise is too high and refuse to run in the first place. I'd guess that it has some sort of threshold built in, and ignores responses below that level, which could make this discussion moot.

In any case, to be on the safe side I always make a point of shutting off all external sources of noise before running MCACC. I once had an airplane fly over while I was running it, which really screwed up the EQ.

BTW, congratulations on finally getting your setup near where you want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

And I would think so

MCACC is NOT supposed to be used with a lot of background noise. It clearly states that in the manual and it even checks for ambient noise in the setup.

Let's think about this and use some common sense here. Let's say the furnace sounds are in the mid to upper midrange frequencies.

The receiver pink noise (or white, I don't remember which) test tones include those very same frequencies. So, you have random mid's coming from the floor or ceiling still being picked up by the mic. All the time, it's measuring those frequencies and altering the speaker output to try to match some target curve. Your speakers are being adjusted in a way that artificially masks their true response and the response of the room. In ways that aren't even predictable.

At face value, the least it would do is LOWER the speakers mids because it senses more of them than normally would be present.

Perceived loudness & clarity, especially of dialog and critical mids, would be then be thrown off from what it would be normally. Depending on one's hearing, and females typically have better hi freq response than us men, if the mids are reduced, then the highs & lows may be perceived as louder or harsher.

On top of impact to the freq response, the noise coming from various places in the room will be picked up by the mic and could partially mask the reflected clicks used to accurately measure speaker distance & delay times.

I don't see how anyone with any knowledge of how these auto cal systems are supposed to work could have any doubts about this.

Furnace noise, air conditioners running, appliances, car running in the garage, sirens down the street, airplanes flying by....it plain doesn't matter...the noise could reduce the accuracy of the room measurements.

That's why ALL the manufacturers tell you to do the calibration when it's quiet or low ambient noise.

If accuracy of measurement is not the goal, then there's no point in using a system like MCACC or Audyssey in the 1st place.

And if you think you're compensating for having the furnace running all the time, you certainly are altering the freq response, but whether it's a positive change or not is another matter. And you have introduced a factor that could interfere with the accuracy of all the measurements used to calibrate the speakers for optimum soundfield & blending of channels.

I've seen changing my own position in the room, adding a blanket on the couch, or move the mic 6" change some of the EQ and channel levels.

The measurements are best taken in quiet and if you want to tweak the settings, do them manually like CHP_VR says and save as a custom setting.

My advice is do like I do, try turning the AC/furnace off for serious watching/listening or turn the volume up when it's running

ss9001
Steve

:bowdown: .. that is a very detailed response and made me redo my mcacc.. thanks again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Wow, I'll bet you didn't know you had an estranged brother.

i did not sir...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Great write up, ss9001!

Thanks for putting it all together and making sense and reason out of it!

Personally, IMO, I still say the best way of doing MCACC is chasing everyone out of the room and hiding behind the couch

first time i ran mcacc. my dog was on the couch.. he got up in the middle of it and i yelled at him.. ( he weighs 90lbs) he was like WTF>>??

second time i ran it.. my gf was napping on the couch.. i told her she either had to lay real still and hold the microphone on her head or go upstairs... she actually held it on her head since it was better than a tripod.. she sit down and rested the mic on her head and then held it by the sides, careful not to block it at all.. i was very impressed with her dedication..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post

This is what I did. Then I had to go upstairs and yell at the wife for walking around

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD1225 View Post

I even removed ticking clocks from the room when I ran MCACC on my SC-25.

priceless!!! i wondered if i needed to take that thing out...
post #15213 of 17207 Old 01-08-2010, 12:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstack31489 View Post

I plan on purchasing a SC-?? model very soon but i noticed it doesnt have a switched outlet for my fan. My current onkyo 805 has one and i really enjoy the feature, without anything diy is there a fix for his? thanks

Your best best then, would be to get a SC-25/27 model which has an IEC output and purchase a IEC cable liberator like this:

http://www.ziotek.com/Templates/Sear...productID=8224
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15214 of 17207 Old 01-08-2010, 07:37 AM
TJ7

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

i will have the same sc07 issue in the spring when i install fans in my closet. i was thinking of using a relay and tap into the 12v trigger - the relay would then turn on the 120 for the fans. i'm not sure though if the 12v trigger is momentary though - if thats the case then it wont work. maybe someone else knows this answer.

The alternate is to use a home cooling system thermostat...

Radio Shack Catalogue Archive 1939-2005

Does your system seem to have a mind of its own?
Turn HDMI Control OFF!!!
post #15215 of 17207 Old 01-08-2010, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Great write up, ss9001!

Thanks for putting it all together and making sense and reason out of it!

Personally, IMO, I still say the best way of doing MCACC is chasing everyone out of the room and hiding behind the couch

I was very particular about MCACC and having total silence when it "did its think". I even turned off the A/C-Furnace, ceiling fan, made sure no one else was home, walking around...I didn't even sigh while it was running, etc. Then, just for giggles, I left everything on and re-ran MCACC. Know what? The differences in the settings were minimal. IIRC, there were a couple of frequencies that were changed on "click", but that was about it.

Sonically, I couldn't tell the difference between running MCACC with all the house noise going on, and with no house noise, at all.

Of course, YMMV! I haven't re-run MCACC since I installed a 2nd sub. Everything's been "A-OK"!

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #15216 of 17207 Old 01-08-2010, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv47lg70 View Post

.........................................second time i ran it.. my gf was napping on the couch.. i told her she either had to lay real still and hold the microphone on her head or go upstairs... she actually held it on her head since it was better than a tripod.. she sit down and rested the mic on her head and then held it by the sides, careful not to block it at all.. i was very impressed with her dedication........................

Most impressive award!

Pictures appreciated

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
post #15217 of 17207 Old 01-08-2010, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You'll find the SC units run a lot cooler than most AVRs, shortstack31489..

However, there's a number of options..
You might want to check this link, where a number a members have offered opinions and suggestions on fans, placement and sources..
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...3#post15198973

I use this one, but to to keep my HR21 cool, not my SC-09TX..
It uses a thermal switch and is super quiet (dual 120mm fans)..

If your inclined at all to DIY, mrgribbles made a 12V trigger here
decoupe offerred his version here as well with circiut diagrams.

Hope that helps.

post #15218 of 17207 Old 01-08-2010, 10:06 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

malmeyer,

Bummer.. what a strange issue...
The obvious settings:
you have the switch set to the main right? No chance you have zone 2 on?
You have the speaker switch set to SPEAKERS A or A and B ?..
Unit is set to AMP and not THROUGH?
No headphones in jack? <- sorry had to ask...
MCACC mike not connected? <- disables normal speaker ops.
Did you double check that input signal is set to DIGITAL (cycle with remote)?

Have you gone over the trouble shooting guide on page 113?

Unless something catastrophic happened to your power or the reciever, I hope it's just a setting inadvertantly set....

Please let us know how it goes

Quick update on my issue, received a call yesterday from the repair shop and they confirmed what I had reported. No audio from the digital inputs, so he ordered a new 'digital board' and should have it next week sometime.
post #15219 of 17207 Old 01-08-2010, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmeyer View Post

Quick update on my issue, received a call yesterday from the repair shop and they confirmed what I had reported. No audio from the digital inputs, so he ordered a new 'digital board' and should have it next week sometime.

Thanks for following up with us, malmeyer!

Let us know how it goes.. and when you get it back, run the heck out of it to burn it in

post #15220 of 17207 Old 01-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

I bought the sc-25 while BB had the $999 price on it. I'm happy to have such a wonderful receiver but I've got 2 questions.

1- PCM from the PS3 to the sc-25 or have the sc-25 do the decoding?

2- Is there any way to use HDMI for the video and optical for the sound? My Macbook can't feed sound over HDMI so I have to use optical for the sound but the sc-25 won't let me do that.

I'm afraid that if I can't find a solution to question 2 then I'm going to have to return the 25 and get something else. I don't want to do that.
post #15221 of 17207 Old 01-08-2010, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_63 View Post

I bought the sc-25 while BB had the $999 price on it. I'm happy to have such a wonderful receiver but I've got 2 questions.

1- PCM from the PS3 to the sc-25 or have the sc-25 do the decoding?

2- Is there any way to use HDMI for the video and optical for the sound? My Macbook can't feed sound over HDMI so I have to use optical for the sound but the sc-25 won't let me do that.

I'm afraid that if I can't find a solution to question 2 then I'm going to have to return the 25 and get something else. I don't want to do that.

1) Your call. Sonically, it doesn't make any difference. But you only get the cool TrueHD or DTS-HD readouts on the front panel if you let the SC25 do the decoding.

2) Yes. I prefer to have my Mac Mini DVI/HDMI directly connected to the monitor, but you can assign an optical input and an HDMI input to the same function so that audio will come over optical and video over HDMI if you want everything to pass through the AVR. You do have to turn Kuro Link (aka HDMI Control or HDMI CEC) "off" to be able to reassign HDMI inputs, though. See p 49 of the manual for various combinations available to you.
post #15222 of 17207 Old 01-08-2010, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Greg,

Welcome to the ICE Club!

Question 1
I assume you have the new slim PS3.. you can go either way. Bitstream would be my suggestion though. The great thing is you can try it both ways and pick the method that sounds best to you.
There's some hints and suggestions from member's with the SC and the PS3 here (mostly with the older PS3 model)

Question 2:
No problem.
You want to check here for a more detailed outline as to hook up and settings.
replace page 92 with page 48 of your manual.
replace page 93 with page 49 of your manual.
replace page 38 with page 68 of your manual.

Any problems we'll try to help.
Enjoy!

Edit: Almost forgot..
cotenj has a great write up here on different techniques for network and streaming with the MacBook:
http://web.me.com/ccotenj1/Network_a...etup/Home.html

Re-edit:
MacFan beat me again

post #15223 of 17207 Old 01-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you very much for your help guys. I got itunes to play the video files properly from my mac and my kids are very happy about that

I've got the old 20gb PS3 that I bought when it first came out. I guess I've got to use PCM unless I switch to the new slim model. I like the looks of the 20gb model so since there's no difference in sound I'll forgo having the 25 do the decoding.

Now I can happily keep my sc-25
post #15224 of 17207 Old 01-09-2010, 09:45 AM

Hey everyone I'm in the verge of upgrading to a new HD capable tv and BL disk player. One of the players of interest is the OPPO bdp-83SE. As most of you likely know the SE version has some upgraded DACS and the ability to use them as a USB DAC as well. If I were to do this the hook up it would look like a HDMI for vid plugged into the HDMI input and analog cables to the "multi in" section. THe manual is clear on how to set up both but it really does not indicate this can be done to allow both inputs at the same time. So in a nutshell can the sc07 run with both of these inputs feeding at the sametime?

THis is of course assuming that the 83SE DACs are better than the SC07 onboard DACS. Any comments on this? I will be doing more streaming and usb music so this seems like a viable or possible to improve sound quality.
post #15225 of 17207 Old 01-09-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsax View Post

Hey everyone I'm in the verge of upgrading to a new HD capable tv and BL disk player. One of the players of interest is the OPPO bdp-83SE. As most of you likely know the SE version has some upgraded DACS and the ability to use them as a USB DAC as well. If I were to do this the hook up it would look like a HDMI for vid plugged into the HDMI input and analog cables to the "multi in" section. THe manual is clear on how to set up both but it really does not indicate this can be done to allow both inputs at the same time. So in a nutshell can the sc07 run with both of these inputs feeding at the sametime?

I recall that they mention somewhere that you can do this. Can't remember which manual, and I don't use the multichannel analog in with video myself, but someone less lazy than I will no doubt verify and confirm in detail. Edit: Okay, I found confirmation on p 128 of the SC-27 manual or p 94 of the SC-07 manual. You'll have to reassign the HDMI input to one of the compatible functions, which requires turning HDMI Control (aka Kuro Link) off.

Quote:
THis is of course assuming that the 83SE DACs are better than the SC07 onboard DACS. Any comments on this? I will be doing more streaming and usb music so this seems like a viable or possible to improve sound quality.

Now that is a good question. The Wolfson WM8740 DACs in the SC-07 are very good. If the BDP-83SE's Sabre chips are "better," is the difference audible? (Like amplifier sound, DAC sound is debated endlessly by audiophiles to no resolution.)

No doubt the room and speakers are important in people's reaction. My room is acoustically ... uh... lacking, so what MCACC adds is of much greater significance to me than what a DAC upgrade could add, especially given the quality of DAC's Pioneer uses in the SC-07. I'm very happy with listening to high quality sources (SACD, etc) on my standard Oppo BDP-83 via HDMI through my SC-07, FWIW.

I assume your streaming and USB sources are lossless, or the whole question is moot. There isn't much DAC's can do to make MP3's sound like high quality audio sources.
post #15226 of 17207 Old 01-09-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^

I agree with Macfan but would like to add.....I recently listened to see how going direct into my Cinepro 1k2SE amplifier in 2-channel mode would sound versus bitstream with the BDP-83. I felt, going the HDMI route with the Wolfson DACS and room correction, resulted in superior sound. I really think there is some jitter reduction going on in the SC series AVRs using the HDMI route. Previously, I tried another AVR and didn't reach the same conclusion. YMMV
post #15227 of 17207 Old 01-09-2010, 11:58 AM

posted this question in SC27/25 section (since models are similar)

had a few questions (New setup SC27) (same as SC07) 5.1 setup

1. why is THX Ultra 2 plus and Pro Logic IIx and etc, only applied with Two Channel sources, not with 5.1 setup.

tried to select these settings, while watching a blu ray movie, but receiver would not allow... only advanced surr (auction/drama/rock etc..) stanard settings

I'm i missing something. new to pioneer..

2. Ipod features, will it ONLY paly music or can it do videos.

i read the manual, maybe i missed something...

Thanks
post #15228 of 17207 Old 01-09-2010, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler 08 View Post

posted this question in SC27/25 section (since models are similar)

had a few questions (New setup SC27) (same as SC07) 5.1 setup

1. why is THX Ultra 2 plus and Pro Logic IIx and etc, only applied with Two Channel sources, not with 5.1 setup.

tried to select these settings, while watching a blu ray movie, but receiver would not allow... only advanced surr (auction/drama/rock etc..) stanard settings

I'm i missing something. new to pioneer..

Thanks

It can become complicated, but the short answer is that the extra processing generally adds channels. However, with a 5.1 setup and 5.1 source, there is nothing to add. The ones you mention would add rear channels so that a 5.1 source would provide rear channel sound to a 7.1 setup. You should be able to access THX Cinema, though (as well as THX Music and Games).

Pioneer used to include a multipage chart showing what is available with what sources with which settings. I think it confused as many people as it helped. In any case, they dropped it, but you can find it by downloading the SC-07 manual. It starts on page 128.

I'm one of the few people in these forums without an ipod , so I'll let someone else deal with that.
post #15229 of 17207 Old 01-09-2010, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 2377 Post(s)
Liked: 3138
Quote:

Thanks

No video.. I haven't yet seen a receiver that does....

I would get an Apple TV if that's important to you.
post #15230 of 17207 Old 01-09-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:

Edit: Okay, I found confirmation on p 128 of the SC-07 manual. You'll have to reassign the HDMI input to one of the compatible functions, which requires turning HDMI Control (aka Kuro Link) off.

Thanks MacFan for the info. as my "manual" does not has 128 pages I assume pioneer has another out there for use. I'll dig about and get it. I have no idea how to do what you suggested but with a manual I can figure it out!

good comments on the DACs and I agree across the board. TOrn between the bdp83SE adn standard so if I go SE I'll feedback any results of interest.

gracias.

paul
post #15231 of 17207 Old 01-09-2010, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks MacFan for the info. as my "manual" does not has 128 pages I assume pioneer has another out there for use. I'll dig about and get it. I have no idea how to do what you suggested but with a manual I can figure it out!

good comments on the DACs and I agree across the board. TOrn between the bdp83SE adn standard so if I go SE I'll feedback any results of interest.

gracias.

paul

Oh boy, I didn't help with the confusion. I had two manuals open, and referenced the wrong one. It's page 94 of the SC-07 manual; page 128 of the SC-27 manual. I corrected my previous post.

You can download either from Pioneer if you don't have one.
post #15232 of 17207 Old 01-09-2010, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

Video definitely works on the SC-09TX, Heckler..
Here's how it looks and how I have it set up on mine:
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...d#post17359669

I don't think you can stream video from the iPod on the SC-05/07, but you should be able to display pictures, however.

With the SC-25/27 you should be able to play video according to the manual.
Make sure you have it connected with the supplied Pioneer cable as shown on page 43 of your manual...

Note compatibility on page 52:
This system is compatible with the audio and video of the iPod nano, iPod fifth generation (audio only), iPod classic, iPod touch and iPhone.
However, some of the functions may be restricted for some models. The system is not compatible with the iPod shuffle.
Compatibility may vary depending on the software version of your iPod and iPhone. Please be sure to use the latest available software
version.

Note on page 52, for video, you have to switch control from the receiver to the iPod from the remote.

1 Press iPod CTRL to switch the iPod controls.
This enables operation and display on your iPod, and this
receiver's remote control and GUI screen become
inactive.
2 Press iPod CTRL again to switch back to the receiver
controls.

This is similar to how the SC-09 works as well..

Also, on your iPod, make sure you have output to DISPLAY set.
On my nanopod its: VIDEO > SETTINGS > TV OUT
There's also settings for signal, screen and size you can play with.

Hope that helps.

post #15233 of 17207 Old 01-09-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:

gracias.

paul

I'm also trying to figure out whether to go with the standard Oppo or the SE, so please do let us/me know what you find out.
post #15234 of 17207 Old 01-09-2010, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Added:
bengrimm sc-07 center LED out

Front page:
MacFan's link to SPL calculator
how much power do you actually use?
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

ss9001's write up on MCACC and background noise.
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post17872488

Thanks everyone! Let me know if I missed anything.

I know it probably needs to be a bit re-organized again...

post #15235 of 17207 Old 01-09-2010, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I just did a bit of testing between the DAC's on the non-SE Oppo 83 and the SC-07 (via HDMI, with and without MCACC applied and multiple settings therein).

I also sent an analog signal out of the Oppo and listened to it in Pure Direct Stereo.

For me, my ears, my setup it was almost too close to call. The Oppo's DAC's sounded great and very close to the sound of the SC-07, though with MCACC on, the 07 bested it... marginally.

The Oppo's DAC's produced a very good soundstage and excellent detail and separation. The music through the 07 with the MCACC applied sounded just a bit fuller and seemed to have more heft and weight (richness-warmth maybe?).

Bottom line... if the 83SE's DAC's are very far superior to what the standard 83 has, maybe your results will be spectacular! But again... maybe not.

I'd be happy with the straight Oppo DAC sound, but I'm very happy with the 07's DACs and MCACC.

shane

(Yeah, that post probably didn't help you much... )

EDIT: Somehow missed Macfan's post. Obviously I agree completely.

"Yes Eve... I like to watch." - Chauncey Gardener.

My HT Setup:
http://www.fototime.com/A0E2793180FB3D0/orig.jpg
post #15236 of 17207 Old 01-09-2010, 06:17 PM

I got this from page 38 of the SC-07 manual:

"• DIRECT – Sources are heard according to the
settings made in the Surround Setup (speaker
setting, channel level, speaker distance, acoustic
calibration EQ, and X-curve), as well as with dual
mono, the input attenuator, and any sound delay and
hi-bit/hi-sampling (SC-05 only) settings. You will hear
sources according to the number of channels in the
signal.
• PURE DIRECT – Analog and 2 channel PCM sources
are heard without any digital processing.1 No sound
is output from the Speaker B in this mode."

So if I use DIRECT when listening to two-channel audio (redbook cds) via the analog inputs on the SC-07, I would still benefit from the MCACC room calibration and processing, but the receiver would not be using the Wolfson DACs and the signal would have already been converted to analog (and then sent via the CD or Blu-ray's analog outs) in the CD or Blu-ray player prior to ever getting to the SC-07?
post #15237 of 17207 Old 01-09-2010, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Added:
[url="https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=17858177#post17858177"]Thanks everyone! Let me know if I missed anything.

I know it probably needs to be a bit re-organized again...

You're doing a great job!
So, don't sweat it.
Everyone appreciates all the valuable time that you put into the first page.
post #15238 of 17207 Old 01-09-2010, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

ok.. guess I shamed myself into reorganizing the first page

Moved some things around and added sub headings under tips/examples from members...

Networking and Streaming:
-Apple and OS/X networking and Music Streaming ccotenj
-Internet radio Impression1 Impression2
-Network and media server connections (a_ok2me)
Tips:
-To access HMG MENUS with the remote, be sure to switch from "receiver" to "source"
-Cooling/Ventilation
-SC-LX81 (SC-07) autopsy and here
-Removing stickers without Scratching? Method1 Method2 Method3
-Dimmer setting location: bottom portion of the remote, under the sliding door (number 3 button)
- PURE Direct Observations by MacFan
Subwoofers/Speakers
-Quickstart Speaker setup - MacFan
-General Subwoofer settings (Macfan424) and here
-Bossobass guide to subwoofers
-How do I hook up my Definitive Mythos to the SC/05/07/09? MacFan424
- Dual Subs Graphicguy and MacFan424
LFE/MCACC
-Proper Microphone position for calibration Ray
-LFE and crossover settings MacFan and secrets by Colin Miller & Brian Florian Thanks MacFan
-Why are my MCACC settings 6db lower from my last Pioneer? ss9001
-X-Curve and room sample by eldithomaso
-Connecting your PC to MCACC
-MCACC calibration MacFan
-MCACC and background noise by ss9001
General Connections:
-How to set Video HDMI with Digital (Optical/Coax) Audio Click here
-PS3 connection to Your new SC-05/07 AUDIO/VIDEO
-Zone 2 and 3 configuration example by Geoff and alerion
-Adding the ability to watch TV from one source and Audio from another? method1 (SC-05/07) method2 (SC-07)
-HMG and an external HD JS1000
Utilities
-DIY 12VDC Trigger for switching by mrgribbles and circuit diagrams by decoupe
-Member recommended CD to FLAC converters EAC winamp dBpower
-Rippng DTS with Windows -Info_Dan
- Hard Reset and Service Codes
- How much Power do you actually use? SPL Calculator Thanks MacFan
- Resetting your AVR/Service Mode
- HGM Update
Potential problems:
-Problems with DD+ with the Toshiba XA2 and Samsung HD-DVD. Workarounds from FilmMixer and ss9001
-Rel Subwoofers and SC-05/07/09 Precautions
-Flashing MCACC LED LED Issues
-Fios Cable Box shows "green screen of death" -- Try HDMI Input 3

In addition, I moved and added a few things under general information..

Hope this works for everybody it helps to make it a bit less cluttered.. ideas appreciated.

Edit: Thanks Perp just saw your post above.

post #15239 of 17207 Old 01-09-2010, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Shane,

Excellent review!

Thank you!
Added it to member's reviews
(linked on first page as page 3 of member's reviews and noted on bottom.)
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post17583148

post #15240 of 17207 Old 01-10-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post

Bottom line... if the 83SE's DAC's are very far superior to what the standard 83 has, maybe your results will be spectacular! But again... maybe not.

I'd be happy with the straight Oppo DAC sound, but I'm very happy with the 07's DACs and MCACC.

shane

(Yeah, that post probably didn't help you much... )

EDIT: Somehow missed Macfan's post. Obviously I agree completely.

nope this helps. if the default is close I have lots more confidence that the SE will be better. Now I may decide that the cost benefit is goofed but thats my problem. I will post when I have something useful. thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page