Official Pioneer SC-05 and SC-07 Owners Thread - Page 76 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #2251 of 17207 Old 11-11-2008, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

That's the way I read it, wildroamer.
HDMI output 1 and 2 will have the same video image (great if you have a display and projector) Zone2 out is for an additional independant display.
So, you could watch tv in zone1, and play a dvd in zone2..
Zone 2 is component only, you have to connect to the additional display with component or composite..
page 67 shows two ways of connecting a display with zone 2, one with and one without an additional amp.

Robert George uses both HDMI outputs and doodles (above) uses zone 2 with an amp.

Can you run two HD signals at the same time? One from HDMI and the other from component.

05-1.3H BJC-3808-1.3H BJC-5080
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 17207 Old 11-11-2008, 02:34 PM

What about audio options for zone 2?

I should know this, but don't remember checking this out in the user-friendly manual

Can you go optical?
post #2253 of 17207 Old 11-11-2008, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
page 66 shows analog for zone 2 and digital and analog for zone 3..

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2254 of 17207 Old 11-11-2008, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatchaks View Post

Thanks for the response.

I do have a Nevo Q50 remote, but have not programmed it for the new display nor the receiver yet. I'm finding that the original Pioneer remote is offering "almost" enough for me to put off programming until I get the urge.

I'm also looking for shortcuts and am also wanting to use the new equipment/remotes for awhile so I learn which remote functions will be important for me to program on the proper pages.

I did plug the Mac into the SC-05 but this brings up another "problem". Although I may have overlooked the answer.

Because the Mac is using a DVI/HDMI connection, I need the toslink for audio as well. When connecting as you suggested (unsing HDMI in to receiver), I don't seem to have the ability to change the audio to optical as it is grayed out.

Mark

yeah, forgot.. you are using HDMI Control, that will gray out the audio redirect... and it would be a hassle to turn it off and on.. you might want to check if there's a remote code for the inputs on your Pio display remote and program it in your SC-05 remote.. or better, the SC-05 remote has a learning function (page 103), if you could have it learn the correct input, you should be able to use the multi-operation mode on the remote (page 105).
That may solve having to use two remotes for your MAC..

post #2255 of 17207 Old 11-11-2008, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2JSTS View Post

Can you run two HD signals at the same time? One from HDMI and the other from component.

You mean like two sat boxes (HDMI in zone 1 and component in zone 2)or use blu-ray component out? That should work, I think, for zone2 (just trying to interpret the manual) you have to use the same source/output connections (so 1080i max with component?).. component in to component out or composite in to composite out (note d).. would be fun to experiment, but I don't have another HD display to play with..
Hopefully someone has tried this and can tell us
(ACK, more things to play with!!)

post #2256 of 17207 Old 11-11-2008, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Just wondering, I purchased a Pioneer SC-07 today but I have a Rotel RMB-1075 sitting in a box that I was going to use with my receiver. Would the Rotel be better or worse than the amps in the SC-07? Any one in Canada buy this receiver yet and can you tell me or PM me with how much you paid for it? Or how much off of the posted MSRP was paid? Thanks in advance for any help.
post #2257 of 17207 Old 11-11-2008, 06:45 PM

Will the MCACC PC software work with Vista? Manual says XP or 2000.

Mike
post #2258 of 17207 Old 11-11-2008, 06:50 PM

Expecting my SC-07 in a couple of days.

Reading through this thread I am surprised that there has not been much talk about firmware updates. Can you update the firmware on the SC-07? Also, it seems that no one has really had any issues to speak of concerning this unit. Is the Pioneer that good?

I currently have a Yamaha 3900 that I am not happy with, and I see that Yamaha has just issued a firmware update for that unit which can be completed by using the front USB. The sound is not great and I have had some other issues with it.

How if needed could you update the firmware on the Pioneer?
post #2259 of 17207 Old 11-11-2008, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 353
in the past, pio's have had to go back to a service center for firmware updates... i'd guess it will be the same way with these...

the good thing is, they appear to get it correct right out of the gate, and firmware updates are few and far between... there was one on the 8x series to correct the "lfe bug" (which really wasn't a "bug" as much as it was sorting out the spec and what component in the chain would do the lfe bump), but i don't recall one on the 9x series (i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong on that though)...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #2260 of 17207 Old 11-11-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr21 View Post

Mike

good question... i don't think anyone has tried it... you want to volunteer to be the guinea pig? worst thing that happens is that it doesn't work...

i'd like them to do an os/x version... for those of us who live in an apple only world, it would be nice...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #2261 of 17207 Old 11-11-2008, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked: 2344
Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post

perhaps my response wasn't that good

the 7 channels driven figure is pretty amazing for an amp even of a lot higher price than the SC-05 - but why is

7 channels driven - 8 ohms - 0.1% distortion = 135W / channel

but 5 channels driven - 8 ohms - 0.1% distortion = 119W / channel ??

Guys (and gals),

I don't do the measurements for the amp section, but I've asked for clarification on this to see if it is indeed a typo.

For owners of the SC-05/07, you have one hell of a product on your hands. It's a beautiful unit and even better, it sounds fantastic. Congrats!

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #2262 of 17207 Old 11-11-2008, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Guys (and gals),

I don't do the measurements for the amp section, but I've asked for clarification on this to see if it is indeed a typo.

For owners of the SC-05/07, you have one hell of a product on your hands. It's a beautiful unit and even better, it sounds fantastic. Congrats!

Thanks Dave. Your review on the SC-05 was very useful.

Do you have any special insight into the differences between these two units (05 and 07). Pioneer techs just point to the power ratings and the 2-zone and extra HDMI out. It seems like there is something different under the hood also, but I can't find much information on that.
post #2263 of 17207 Old 11-11-2008, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjnockie View Post

Expecting my SC-07 in a couple of days.

Reading through this thread I am surprised that there has not been much talk about firmware updates. Can you update the firmware on the SC-07? Also, it seems that no one has really had any issues to speak of concerning this unit. Is the Pioneer that good?

I currently have a Yamaha 3900 that I am not happy with, and I see that Yamaha has just issued a firmware update for that unit which can be completed by using the front USB. The sound is not great and I have had some other issues with it.

How if needed could you update the firmware on the Pioneer?

The bad news: no you can't do the firmware updates yourself.

The good news: yes, Pioneer is that good! The last major firmware update was 2 generations ago on the 80 series and that only affected a fraction of the users. There was a bass bug when sending multichannel PCM over HDMI, something not all that many people were doing at the time. There have been some minor updates since but nothing the average user would notice or care about.

I'd rather buy from someone who gets it right the first time than someone who goes to market with buggy firmware and has to release patches every other month to fix their programming mistakes.

Dennis H
post #2264 of 17207 Old 11-11-2008, 07:14 PM

thanks dave... much appreciated for doing the extra legwork to find out... it's entirely possible that the numbers are correct, but they just look "funny"...

it's always nice to have purchasing decisions confirmed by an external source...

- chris

post #2265 of 17207 Old 11-11-2008, 07:20 PM

I agree, the last thing I want to do is worry about what version of firmware my unit comes with. I just want it to be reliable and sound good. The Video up conversion chat puzzles me because soon everything out there including TV will have decent image quality. For me the sound is what it is about.
post #2266 of 17207 Old 11-11-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

good question... i don't think anyone has tried it... you want to volunteer to be the guinea pig? worst thing that happens is that it doesn't work...

i'd like them to do an os/x version... for those of us who live in an apple only world, it would be nice...

Actually I had already tried it before I posted the question, and I couldn't get it to work. Not sure if it's Vista, or the serial cable, or my stupidity, so I thought I'd try to eliminate the Vista variable first. Oh well, on to checking the cable.
post #2267 of 17207 Old 11-11-2008, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Guys (and gals),

OK, here is the update on the power ratings. This is a copy of what was said to my Editor from the guy who does the measurements:

Quote:

Please note that .1% output measured with 7 channels driven is slightly higher than with 5 channels driven. I repeated these tests several times, and the results are consistent. I've included a second graph that shows the shape of the curve is different with the two different loads, accounting for the seeming disparity.

So it isn't a typo. This has been added to the measurements section:

Quote:

It's odd that the power output at 0.1% distortion with five channels driven is less than with seven channels driven, but that is indeed the case with this AVR. The test was performed several times to verify this result.

The key to me is Pioneer isn't overstating their power unlike some other companies out there (read an AVR review of mine from this past spring for one of the worst offenders of this).

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #2268 of 17207 Old 11-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Gov
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

OK, here is the update on the power ratings. This is a copy of what was said to my Editor from the guy who does the measurements:

So it isn't a typo. This has been added to the measurements section:

The key to me is Pioneer isn't overstating their power unlike some other companies out there (read an AVR review of mine from this past spring for one of the worst offenders of this).

Thats a first for any receiver, no?
post #2269 of 17207 Old 11-12-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:

Actually I had already tried it before I posted the question, and I couldn't get it to work. Not sure if it's Vista, or the serial cable, or my stupidity, so I thought I'd try to eliminate the Vista variable first. Oh well, on to checking the cable.

if i had to bet, just based on other experiences with vista (i attempted to upgrade one of my office machines to see how much stuff would actually work with it), it's the vista variable that's getting you...

- chris

post #2270 of 17207 Old 11-12-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

not a first, but definitely unusual...

- chris

post #2271 of 17207 Old 11-12-2008, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

I'm not 100% sure.

post #2272 of 17207 Old 11-12-2008, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The cable is important.. the first null cable I used didn't work.. I ended up getting the recommended Belken cable at a local microcenter for $10 (they sell online as well).. it worked great, I've used it on WIndows 2000 and XP, sorry haven't used it on vista.. you might try asking on the SC-09 threads, jmr21. I know they've been successful using a USB to serial adaptor as well..
Here's the cable I use:
Belken Pro Series Serial Direct Cable-10 feet PN: F3B207-10
microcenter

post #2273 of 17207 Old 11-12-2008, 09:57 AM
RCJ

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi all SC-05 owners. I'm loving my new SC-05 which I use 100% for HT. I am using Kef speakers for my fronts and center (amplifier requirements 50-200W for each speaker), Boston surrounds and I have an SVS PC Ultra sub. The system sounds fantastic.

But as a certified Home Theater NUT - I was wonderingwhat if I added a 3 channel AMP (Adcom GFA 5503 or Anthem MCA 30) to power my fronts and center and let the SC-05 power the surrounds. I'm guessing I would gain additional headroom with this setup.

Has anyone added or thinking about adding an external amp to their SC-05?
post #2274 of 17207 Old 11-12-2008, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

The cable is important.. the first null cable I used didn't work.. I ended up getting the recommended Belken cable at a local microcenter for $10 (they sell online as well).. it worked great, I've used it on WIndows 2000 and XP, sorry haven't used it on vista.. you might try asking on the SC-09 threads, jmr21. I know they've been successful using a USB to serial adaptor as well..
Here's the cable I use:
Belken Pro Series Serial Direct Cable-10 feet PN: F3B207-10
microcenter

I use to work at Micro Center, worked there for 3 years from when they first opened to late 96. Sorry for the jack guys, now back to your usual programing.

Juan

My HT
post #2275 of 17207 Old 11-12-2008, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJ View Post

Hi all SC-05 owners. I'm loving my new SC-05 which I use 100% for HT. I am using Kef speakers for my fronts and center (amplifier requirements 50-200W for each speaker), Boston surrounds and I have an SVS PC Ultra sub. The system sounds fantastic.

But as a certified Home Theater NUT - I was wonderingwhat if I added a 3 channel AMP (Adcom GFA 5503 or Anthem MCA 30) to power my fronts and center and let the SC-05 power the surrounds. I'm guessing I would gain additional headroom with this setup.

Has anyone added or thinking about adding an external amp to their SC-05?

I have never heard the Anthem, I know they are very well regarded though, but I have owned a couple of Adcoms. I would have the 05 power the front stage, the ICE amp sounds to good to me to bypass, especially since most of all the sound comes from the front stage. YMMV.

Juan

My HT
post #2276 of 17207 Old 11-12-2008, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

To add to my earlier post, jmr21:
Make sure you use the 2.1 version
you probably have it, but here's the new MCACC manual for the SC-05/07
http://www.pioneer-america.com/Stati...ctions0708.pdf

Juan: cool. used to go there all the time when they first opened

post #2277 of 17207 Old 11-12-2008, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Dave, thanks for the SC-05 review! It was great.
Especially since I know you don't mince words, if you didn't like it you would say so..

Bet you can tell, most of us here are only marginally excited/pleased about the SC series

Anyway, thank you for participating here on the thread as well! Most welcome!

post #2278 of 17207 Old 11-12-2008, 11:00 AM

I'm getting a little annoyed now with my SC-05/iPod Touch problem. Thanks for the suggestions (above in this thread), but I'm still not hearing audio. All navigation on the iPod via HMG looks fine, the song play progress is shown, just no sound.

iPod Touch (1st generation) with current version updated, tried two different Apple USB connectors... plugging in to the front panel USB. What else could be wrong? Arggh.
post #2279 of 17207 Old 11-12-2008, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Gee, rw88..
bummer about the problems.. have you tried a mp3 on a thumbdrive yet? Or if network connected, can you play a file from your server? Just checking if there is an issue with playback of audio...
Is it just with your iPod or with any HMG playback?

post #2280 of 17207 Old 11-12-2008, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You mean like two sat boxes (HDMI in zone 1 and component in zone 2)or use blu-ray component out? That should work, I think, for zone2 (just trying to interpret the manual) you have to use the same source/output connections (so 1080i max with component?).. component in to component out or composite in to composite out (note d).. would be fun to experiment, but I don't have another HD display to play with..
Hopefully someone has tried this and can tell us
(ACK, more things to play with!!)

Thanks for digging that up for us CHP_VR.....

My reading says....No trancoding or upconversion for zone 2 at all. Component in/component out and I don't see any exclusions for what definition that signal must be in. So I would assume I could run Cable/Sat in to the SC-07 over component and out over HDMI with conversion set to on. With conversion set to off I should get HD component out for zone 2 for any HD feed thats component in to the SC-07. Now the question is can zone 2 be fed the HD component feed while zone 1 is watching a BR over HDMI.....

By any chance....any owners out there set up even remotely like this?

Truthfully, I've never run a zone 2 ever.....I'm just looking for a way to get rid of a box in my den and the cost of paying Comcast....I know, give unto Caesar but....damn! A box for every TV in my house is getting ridiculus.

05-1.3H BJC-3808-1.3H BJC-5080
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page