7.1 Analog Audio - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 08-20-2008, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Denon AVR 2805, if you don't know it doesn't have HDMI switching. My question is regarding the analog set up. When setting up a Blu-ray that has analog capabilities is it better to go that route than the optical route? The 2805 has 8 100w analog outs Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, and Surround Back L/R. I have a 7.1 speaker setup and would like to utilize that if at all possible. Also, what would it be considered, TrueHD or something else? Or since its analog it's not decoding anything so it's pure sound? I'm clueless. I want the best set up for my speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-20-2008, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For lossless audio yes.

For ease of getting proper channel levels, no
post #3 of 17 Old 08-20-2008, 02:26 PM

your blu-ray player has the capability to output 8 channels of analog? 8 RCA cables correct?

Does your reciever have 8 analog inputs?

It having 8 outputs really has nothing to do with it unless you run a outboard amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-20-2008, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

For a rookie on audio, explain lossless audio. I have a sound meter, would that be usufull in getting proper channel levels? My receive does these for audio processing DTS -ES Descrite and Matrix 6.1, DTS Neo 6, DD EX, and DD Por Logix IIx. I want the best sound and Blu-ray can offer, which would that be.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-20-2008, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Yes my receiver has 8 analog inputs! and yes the Blu-ray has 8 channels of ananlog.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-20-2008, 02:36 PM

Sorry you said outputs before I was just making sure.
Quote:

The 2805 has 8 100w analog outs

If your blu-ray does all the decoding and sends it out in analog then you have no need for any processing from your AVR. You are basically using it as an amp.

As for TrueHD or DTS Matrix etc, that will be up to the BluRay you are playing and the setting on your player. The reciever is just going to play what it gets.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-20-2008, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For lossless, use the search function.

One thing about m-ch analogs from a bdp is that if the track is 5.1 that's all you'll get. You won't be able to matrix. With optical, that's something that you would get to enjoy with a 7.1 system.

You can connect both then. So 7.1 lossless track, enjoy that natively, and with a 5.1, you can choose either 5.1 lossless, or 7.1 lossy matrixed. You can also compare which sounds better. Perhaps no difference to you.

You can't qualitatively compare lossy vs lossless unless you have a particular soundtrack. If the master is no good, then lossy will give you no-good. Just like with video, if the master is bad, 1080p is not going to create a miracle.

Please use the search function for basic questions. You can search either any particular:

-thread
-sub-forum
-all forums

whether specific to any poster. results can be chosen both as either threads or posts. thank you.

post #8 of 17 Old 08-20-2008, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, inputs not outputs... Sorry. So if the Blu-ray movie has a soundtrack with 7.1 and I set it up with analog I will get 7.1 and therefore I would get a better movie experience with the analog set up than going through my receiver processing capabilities via optical? Is that a correct statement?
post #9 of 17 Old 08-20-2008, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, jostenmeat! Great explanation
post #10 of 17 Old 08-21-2008, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There can be issues to overcome. The most common is extremely low LFE.
post #11 of 17 Old 08-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by akener View Post

Yes, inputs not outputs... Sorry. So if the Blu-ray movie has a soundtrack with 7.1 and I set it up with analog I will get 7.1 and therefore I would get a better movie experience with the analog set up than going through my receiver processing capabilities via optical? Is that a correct statement?

Yes. The blu ray player will need to do the decoding of the high def codecs though. There is a new Sony 550 and a Panasonic PD 55 model coming that will internally decode all the high def codecs and send them out via analog outs. If you use optical you will only get standard dd and dts which is the same quality sound as standard dvd. The dts might be at a higher bit rate on some titles but it is still not lossless like true hd and dts ma. Since you own denon I think they have a model which will do the same as the Sony and Panny but the costs will be alot higher.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-21-2008, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmac29 View Post

Yes. The blu ray player will need to do the decoding of the high def codecs though. There is a new Sony 550 and a Panasonic PD 55 model coming that will internally decode all the high def codecs and send them out via analog outs.

But be careful. Some [maybe all(?)] existing 'decodes all high def codecs' players under $2000 will only decode the high def to LPCM over HDMI; the analog outputs are still just a decoded version of the DD5.1/DTS5.1 output over SPDIF.

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #13 of 17 Old 08-21-2008, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

But be careful. Some [maybe all(?)] existing 'decodes all high def codecs' players under $2000 will only decode the high def to LPCM over HDMI; the analog outputs are still just a decoded version of the DD5.1/DTS5.1 output over SPDIF.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1050507
post #14 of 17 Old 08-21-2008, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

My pioneer 51 decodes dolby true hd multi-channel pcm and with a soon to be released firmware release dts ma through the 7.1 analogs! the wolfson dacs are incredible.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-03-2008, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatanika View Post

My pioneer 51 decodes dolby true hd multi-channel pcm and with a soon to be released firmware release dts ma through the 7.1 analogs! the wolfson dacs are incredible.

Do all the channels sound right in your set up with Pioneer 51?

I heard that the bass is very low. Do you know if this is something Pioneer will be fixing?
post #16 of 17 Old 09-03-2008, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The OP may want to read this article before he makes any decisions regarding how he handles HD audio output from BD players. If these experience reviewers using top notch equipment in ideal acoustic environments can hear little or no difference from the HD audio codecs over DD 5.1, I doubt seriously if he will in his system.

http://www.hedmag.com/node/Dolby_Tru...compressed_PCM

"The truth is out there!"
post #17 of 17 Old 09-03-2008, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Interesting low hanging fruit.

May I have some more Snake OIL Please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors