The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR906 Owners Thread... - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #631 of 2801 Old 10-27-2008, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekguy View Post

Bear with me on this as I am not the only person who uses the plasma but here is what I suggest.

First look at the program source, e.g., the Moto3412 has settings for display aspect, 4x3 override resolution and HD output resolution.

Then look at setup menu 1-1 Monitor Out HDMI settings for resolution, Through, Source, 1080 etc. These in combination with the source resolution seem to determine how 4x3 material will be displayed. In my case 720p and better always gets a stretched image. 480 gets a squeezed image if the source is 16x9.

Through works for me, but note that 4x4 material on an HD channel may be window boxed.

Then look to what you display might allow for changing aspect. Mine for example allows me to change aspect for an HDMI connected source only if the source resolution is 480p or i.

But it all works. Right now the ball game is in HD full screen and TCM is 4x3.

What's the point of having the Reon if you can't use it for something like a Moto cable box? Until there is a firmware update that fixes the SD 4:3 bug my work around is to have my cable box HDMI output routed through the 906 and the component output connected directly to my projector. That way I can switch to the component signal for SD channels. Not perfect but no stretch.
The Moto/906 combo works OK for the HD channels with the 906 set to Source - Full and 1080P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2801 Old 10-27-2008, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundas View Post

What's the point of having the Reon if you can't use it for something like a Moto cable box? Until there is a firmware update that fixes the SD 4:3 bug my work around is to have my cable box HDMI output routed through the 906 and the component output connected directly to my projector. That way I can switch to the component signal for SD channels. Not perfect but no stretch.
The Moto/906 combo works OK for the HD channels with the 906 set to Source - Full and 1080P

Your concern is that you want--
  1. 4x3 material to display at 4x3 (no stretch)
  2. the Reon to be active in the chain
  3. upconversion of SD material to be handled by the 906
  4. switching between 4x3 SD material and 16x9 HD material to preserve aspect ratio.

OK as my stuff is now, resolution set at Through, SD cable comes in and goes out at 480p and HD cable comes in at 1080i and goes out as 1080i. All of the picture adjustments in the 906 work for both HD and SD sources. So the only thing the Reon is not doing is scaling.

So the challenge then is to find a combinaion of settings that lets 480 material get be upconverted (and maybe deinterlaced) and color processed etc by the 906 but preserves aspect on 4x3 material, and does the HD right without intervention.

If that's the deal I'll try some other combinations tomorrow.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #633 of 2801 Old 10-27-2008, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So if you had the choice, money no option, the 906 or the Elite SC-07.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 2801 Old 10-27-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmxc View Post

Thats easy. The 906. It specs out better and uses the Reon chip not the older chipset that the SC-07 is using. Plus, it is much cheaper.

Now, you could have made that question a lot harder if you had thrown in the Denon 5308 as a choice. Now that would be a tough call, but I would lean towards the Denon... if price were no object, of course.
post #635 of 2801 Old 10-28-2008, 12:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Settings that work for me and seem to resolve the apect "bug".

906--

Monitor Out

HDMI Main

Resoulution --Through
All Others--0

Source Setup

Picture Adj

Zoom --Full
Resolution--Through

Moto 3412

4x3 Override --Off
HD Resolution--1080i

Plasma Display Settings

Aspect--Not Available

An SD 4x3 channel is displayed 4x3 with black side bars.
An HD 16x9 source is displayed full screen with no zoom or stretch
SD 4x3 or 4x3 HD on an HD channel is displayed with black side bars or window boxed depending on the original material. The image is not stretched or zoomed.

If the 4x3 Override on the moto DVR is changed to 480 then the 480 signal is passed through at 480 and the display's aspect control can be used to create a full width image or change the side bars to black or light gray. HD signals continue to pass at the higher resoloution.

All of the 906 video adjustments, color, noise filters etc., can be used.

Not intuitive maybe but it looks as if you can have things pretty much anyway you want.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #636 of 2801 Old 10-28-2008, 05:53 AM

There are only a handful of channels that i have to watch in SD, and FX is one of them. I find that for those shows, its easy enough to go to Source and set the zoom to normal, and then change it back to full when I am done. I just wish there was a way to do it without bringing up the GUI.
post #637 of 2801 Old 10-28-2008, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Q1. I've been reading a downloaded 906 manual to get familiar with the unit until I get mine. I have a HP entertainment Laptop with an HDMI output that I HAVE been able to get to work with my newer 42" Sony RPTV. I do have to shut off the Laptop display in order to see it if I'm playing a blu-ray DVD from the BD-DVD player. Otherwise I can see my desktop on both the TV and trhe Laptop.

In the 906 manual under Making HDMI Connections it states that In addition, video signals from a PC are not supported.

Has anyone tried to get a computer with HDMI an output to work with the 906?

Q2. Can both the HDMI main and HDMI sub outputs be active at the same time. I dont always watch video through my projector and would like to be able to watch it via the DVI (hdmi to DVI cable will; be used) in my older 60" Sony RPTV without having to go into the 906 and switch outputs.

Q3. Does the 12 Vt trigger only work when Zone 2 is selected or will it trigger another device like an electric screen when the 906 is turned on?
post #638 of 2801 Old 10-28-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmxc View Post

I'd recommend the SC-07 for several reasons.

1. Most importantly, it has better sound quality. People have auditioned the two and the ICE amps make a huge difference. Read up on the Class D, Bang & Olufsen amps. In addition to the sound benefits, they are more efficient with power meaning that the advertised power rating is actually close to what you'd get in real life. It runs cooler and saves power unlike the Onkyos which run ridiculously hot as you can see throughout all the threads here. That probably means longer component life as well.

2. The Onkyo has an edge in video processing but I think you'll find that video processing makes a relatively small difference in general. Plus, if you have good sources that already process video well, the Reon becomes a wash. Moreover, it's a bit silly to base a decision on video processing alone as some posters would have you do; the Olevia 747i has the best scaling in most if not all flat panels with its Realta. Are you going to buy an Olevia now?

3. The Pioneer has higher end codec decoders (Freescale Engine). Whoever said that the Onkyo specs higher is flat out wrong (except on video).

4. Pioneer usually has better implementations for their products. Just read the NR905 thread for proof. Specs mean nothing if the company puts them together sloppily which Onkyo probably does given the astronomical heat output. And yes, the NR905 is relevant to this thread. Onkyo hasn't gotten a product right yet in the higher end. Look at the color space issues of the previous Reon and how they lied to the NR1000 owners. If I were a betting man, I'd wager that something universal and serious will pop up in this thread several months down the line.

5. The Pioneer is roughly the same price if you get it from certain forum sponsors so there isn't a major price difference at all even though you're getting a superior product.

6. Pioneer has superior customer service.

7. Don't take my word for it. The prestigious What HiFi publication nominates the SC-07 as the best product in its price range saying the sound quality rivals the much more expensive SC-09. (It's listed as the SC-LX81 since it's the European model they review)
Source: http://whathifi.com/BestBuys/surroun...and-receivers/
post #639 of 2801 Old 10-28-2008, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I gave the Elite series a hard look before going with the 906 and I did read the 905 threads.

Why then did I go with Onkyo?

Five Onkyo products with the only problems being a non-essential relay stuck in the open position and a tuner preset memory that would fail if the unit was off for several days. An Onkyo P-304 preamp is still giving good service after 20 years.

The lower THD spec for the Onkyo caught my eye. I know that both the Elite and the Onkyo are below what humans can distinguish, but it speaks of good design and engineering.

Heat has never been a serious problem, although now that I have the gear in a small enclosed space I've added fans.

The Elite uses Faroudja DCDi. I have this chip in a DVD player and the Reon is better, and noticeably so, at least on my display.

I have no opinion about the Frescale engine, nor evidence that it is superior in any useful way.

As to the claim that the Elite unit ... has better sound quality. People have auditioned the two and the ICE amps make a huge difference.", I can only say that it is unlikely to have demonstrated in blind or double blind testing. For 30 years now its been known (based on double blind testing) that unless the designers engineer a distinct sound, solid state amplification is fungible under like conditions.

What-HiFi is a ridiculous site better suited to cigar or wine judgments. The 875 was great and a year later the 876 is "Not as articulate, detailed or accurate as the new class best". Give us a break, and no offense to Kal Rubinson, but this sort of "review" is why I dropped my subscription to Stereophile and don't subscribe to Sound and Vision.

Other than that I am sure that those who buy the Elite will like it. I know that I liked the one that I once had.

-Bertrand Russell
post #640 of 2801 Old 10-28-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:

Settings that work for me and seem to resolve the apect "bug".

906--

Monitor Out

HDMI Main

Resoulution --Through
All Others--0

Source Setup

Picture Adj

Zoom --Full
Resolution--Through

Moto 3412

4x3 Override --Off
HD Resolution--1080i

Plasma Display Settings

Aspect--Not Available

An SD 4x3 channel is displayed 4x3 with black side bars.
An HD 16x9 source is displayed full screen with no zoom or stretch
SD 4x3 or 4x3 HD on an HD channel is displayed with black side bars or window boxed depending on the original material. The image is not stretched or zoomed.

If the 4x3 Override on the moto DVR is changed to 480 then the 480 signal is passed through at 480 and the display's aspect control can be used to create a full width image or change the side bars to black or light gray. HD signals continue to pass at the higher resoloution.

All of the 906 video adjustments, color, noise filters etc., can be used.

Not intuitive maybe but it looks as if you can have things pretty much anyway you want.

But the problem here is that the video scaling on the Reon chip is being bypassed (one of the main features in the 876 / 906). The TV is now doing the video scaling. This can be a good or bad thing depending on the quality of the video scaler in the TV.

I find the video scaling in the Onkyo via the Reon to look much better than my Sony. And the Reon's scaling capabilities is one of the main reasons I paid the premium for the receiver.

I have my HDMI Monitor set to "source" and I have the 4.4 Picture Adjust / Resolution set to 1080p and Zoom set to Full. The Reon is doing the video scaling and the TV (and other inputs) are set to not do any scaling at all. So effectively it seems that when you are using the Reon to do "upscaling" it doesn't rpeserve the aspect rqatio of the source material. I think

However.... you do bring up a really good point... this is potentially a viable approach to work around the issue. THANKS for a very detailed and informative explanation.

egg
post #641 of 2801 Old 10-28-2008, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Are there any other non-Onkyo/Integra AVRs or Pre-Pros that use the Reon? If so do they also suffer from the switching delays and 4:3 stretch problems? I am wondering whether the problems are inherent in the Reon or are the result of Onkyo's implementation.
post #642 of 2801 Old 10-28-2008, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 632
The 906 can be had for $1040 after the 10% ebay coupon and the $200 live cashback! I might have to jump on board at that price.
post #643 of 2801 Old 10-28-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008 View Post

The 906 can be had for $1040 after the 10% ebay coupon and the $200 live cashback! I might have to jump on board at that price.

Can you please elaborate on the ebay coupon, as well $200 LIVE cashback? I can't find anything on Live.com that mentions ebay, nor could I find on this thread a 10% ebay coupon.

Thank you!

My theater construction thread labeled "16' wide screen theater w/ 20+ seats and starfield ceiling and stadium configuration": https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=942954
post #644 of 2801 Old 10-28-2008, 06:36 PM

Today testing 906 I noticed very strange thing:
DD 2.0 sound from satellite receiver connected via optical cable is randomly lock-out by receiver when using DSP "all channel stereo" mode.
In other words: I hear about 1 second dropouts in sound randomly in few minutes intervals like hiccups of the unit and sign on display blink.
In stereo mode all is OK.
Did you noticed the same or can you check your units in this connection and DSP mode please? Maybe it's a DSP bug or my unit fault...
Software:
Firmware 1.00 08703A
DSP1 SR9061/08611A
DSP2 SR9062/08605C
DSP3 SR9063/08506A

In Onkyo 905 this problem not exists on the same material.
I know that because I'm testing both simultaneously.
post #645 of 2801 Old 10-28-2008, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008 View Post

Considering issues with the previous years units I would be careful about buying from just anyone as your warranty may not be honored. Onkyo has been clear they will not honor warranties on units unless purchased by an authorized dealer. It's hard enough getting service from Onkyo, I would expect more of a nightmare if you don't have a warranty (in their eyes). You can expect to pay a premium for repairs if needed and available. Shipping alone is a good sum of $.
post #646 of 2801 Old 10-29-2008, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've sent a message to Onkyo USA asking whether the 906 can upconvert an SD 4x3 source and preserve the aspect ratio (add side bars).

I also noted that contrary to the Note on pg 111 of the owner's manual holding down the display button on the remote does not bring up the Zoom settings.

In the past Onkyo was responsive to this sort of request. I will post whatever answer I get. We live in hope. Onkyo support bashers can now smile or laugh but need not post their predictions. Hold off, after all "Sufficient to the day is the evil thereof."

-Bertrand Russell
post #647 of 2801 Old 10-29-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:

I've sent a message to Onkyo USA asking whether the 906 can upconvert an SD 4x3 source and preserve the aspect ratio (add side bars).

I also noted that contrary to the Note on pg 111 of the owner's manual holding down the display button on the remote does not bring up the Zoom settings.

In the past Onkyo was responsive to this sort of request. I will post whatever answer I get. We live in hope. Onkyo support bashers can now smile or laugh but need not post their predictions. Hold off, after all "Sufficient to the day is the evil thereof."

If you set the Source Zoom to Normal it does upconvert and preserve aspect ratio. Its just a matter of constantly switching between normal and full depending on if the content is SD or HD. And if the display button worked as stated then it wouldn't even be a big deal.
post #648 of 2801 Old 10-29-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDukes View Post

If you set the Source Zoom to Normal it does upconvert and preserve aspect ratio. Its just a matter of constantly switching between normal and full depending on if the content is SD or HD. And if the display button worked as stated then it wouldn't even be a big deal.

Right. I included the Zoom/display button problem in my message to Onkyo.

-Bertrand Russell
post #649 of 2801 Old 10-29-2008, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Does anyone know if you can run this in a 7.1b (6 surrounds vs. 4) setup like the Denon 4308CI? I am on the fence between these two AVRs.
post #650 of 2801 Old 10-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Direct TV is advertising that they are going to have 1080p programing soon.

Will the 906 will pass that through w/o processing?

Could it possibly improve on the 1080p Direct TV signal?
post #651 of 2801 Old 10-29-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:

Thank you, trekguy. I anxiously await your response from Onkyo. Ever since you posted this issue it has caused me to hold off on buying this unit. I can just see the pain it would be to constanly go through the menus to get the zoom corrected, depending on content. Lets face it, there will be a mix of SD and HD for some time to come. A quick way to switch the zoom is a must and until I hear that this will be corrected, I am holding off on a buy.

Thanks again.
Rich
post #652 of 2801 Old 10-29-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolwarrior View Post

Thank you, trekguy. I anxiously await your response from Onkyo. Ever since you posted this issue it has caused me to hold off on buying this unit. I can just see the pain it would be to constanly go through the menus to get the zoom corrected, depending on content. Lets face it, there will be a mix of SD and HD for some time to come. A quick way to switch the zoom is a must and until I hear that this will be corrected, I am holding off on a buy.

Thanks again.
Rich

Ditto... thanks TrekGuy! Also eagerly awaiting any response.

And I completely agree that for a receiver in this price range with this feature set.... it is ridiculous to have to go into the setup menu to change the aspect ratio on a regular basis. It's 12 clicks to get there!! It should be 1 button!!! And I shouldn't even have to do it manually!!!

I was using the aspect ratio toggle on my TV, but it does not provide as good a picture as when I change the setting on the AVR.

egg
post #653 of 2801 Old 10-30-2008, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee View Post

Direct TV is advertising that they are going to have 1080p programing soon.

Will the 906 will pass that through w/o processing?

Could it possibly improve on the 1080p Direct TV signal?

You can set the 906 to pass all signals through untouched. You can also set each input for processing separately, including upscaling to your choice of resolution up to 1080p/60. If the input is a 1080p/60 signal and the output is set to 1080p/60, I don't think there is any processing.

1080p/24 signals are never processed.

Ira
post #654 of 2801 Old 10-30-2008, 05:41 AM

Something interesting happened last night.
I was messing with the SD video settings on my cable box.
The whole time I left the Reon to upscale to 1080p and zoom was set to full
I have Fios with a motorola cable box and was changing the SD override setting.
On an SD 4x3 channel like Comedy Central, here are the results.

setting the cable box to 480i, gave me an image that filled my 16x9 screen like a horizontal zoom.
Setting the box to 480p, gave me an image that was 4x3, but was centered in the screen and was surrounded by black. the image did not hit any edges of the tv.

setting the box to SD override off (do not touch), produced a 4x3 image that took up the horizontal part of the screen. This is exactly what I have been looking for.

Now everything is perfect right.... Well when I switch to a 16x9 SD show like Sons of anarchy, what I get is an image that has the correct aspect, but doesn't fill any of the edges of the screen. For this setting the Onkyo to Zoom lets it fill the screen with maybe only a couple of pixels of overlap at the corners. That show is filmed in HD and then down converted for SD.

But I guess what I am getting at is that I dont need to touch the Onkyo at all now. Turning SD override off, solves virtually all my problems and if i set the cable to 480i the Sons of Anarchy problem goes away but the others come back. Please try this out people.
post #655 of 2801 Old 10-30-2008, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDukes View Post

Something interesting happened last night.
I was messing with the SD video settings on my cable box.
The whole time I left the Reon to upscale to 1080p and zoom was set to full
I have Fios with a motorola cable box and was changing the SD override setting.
On an SD 4x3 channel like Comedy Central, here are the results.

setting the cable box to 480i, gave me an image that filled my 16x9 screen like a horizontal zoom.
Setting the box to 480p, gave me an image that was 4x3, but was centered in the screen and was surrounded by black. the image did not hit any edges of the tv.

setting the box to SD override off (do not touch), produced a 4x3 image that took up the horizontal part of the screen. This is exactly what I have been looking for.

Now everything is perfect right.... Well when I switch to a 16x9 SD show like Sons of anarchy, what I get is an image that has the correct aspect, but doesn't fill any of the edges of the screen. For this setting the Onkyo to Zoom lets it fill the screen with maybe only a couple of pixels of overlap at the corners. That show is filmed in HD and then down converted for SD.

But I guess what I am getting at is that I dont need to touch the Onkyo at all now. Turning SD override off, solves virtually all my problems and if i set the cable to 480i the Sons of Anarchy problem goes away but the others come back. Please try this out people.

What you basically did was have the cable box do the 4:3 pillarboxing instead of the 906. This works for Blu-ray players that 4:3 pillarbox as well. Ideally the 906 should be able to display 16:9 properly and pillarbox 4:3 signals automatically, but Onkyo can't seem to get this right. So, you basically need to have the source do the aspect ratio management as you did above.
post #656 of 2801 Old 10-30-2008, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can someone elaborate on the EQ settings (either automatic or otherwise) available on the 906? If you choose automatic (audessy stuff) does it run a tone sweep and adjust the eq settings? How many eq points? Can you manually adjust them or only bass and treble?

I have speakers rated at 4 ohms (3.2 nominal). Will these be any problems for the 906? I am currently running a Marantz that seems to work no problem-o with them running up to about 100 db.
post #657 of 2801 Old 10-30-2008, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

That says it all. I am officially using an Onkyo TX-NR906 in my set up. As many of you know I have had the 605/606/805/806/875/885/905 and now the 906. What does this mean? Besides the fact that I am nuts and should definitely need a hernia surgery by now nothing... I am now using an Onkyo HD805 and I even went back old school style with the SP1000 for SD dvd playback. So how does the 906 measure up? I am a percentage guy so I would have to say overall it is about 6% to 8% better than the previous generation. At first it may sound the same but after you do some tweaking and run Audyssey you can hear a difference. I just came from an Emotiva MPS-2/Onkyo 885 combo and I will say I am very happy with the 906. Not that I wasn't very happy with that last combo but after having a few modules go down (MPS-2) in a few months it was time to come back home to Receiver Land. I know old school HT guys will say separates are the best way to go but I can now say that a good high end receiver can hold its own. Even my family and friends say the sound is as good as before (when I was using the combo) or better lately (probably due to the new modes or features)...

Ultra2Cinema mode was always my favorite for 5.1 DolbyTrueHD soundtracks and that remains the same. DTS-HD 7.1 soundtracks I leave alone because they already sound top notch. And since it has already been touched upon in this thread all I will say is the newer menu selections for picture adjusting is definitely astounding. I was excited to see the additions. I am currently using an Edge VP with the 906 and that really satisfies all of my HDMI needs. So what does it sound like? I think the 906 has a little more clarity then the previous generation. Rain and glass breaking is just slightly clearer. Enough though to notice a difference. I have been asked by quite a few if it is worth upgrading to the 876/906 units over the previous. My answer is still the same. It depends on if you really depend on your receiver for deinterlacing and picture adjusting. If you do then I would have to say YES. If not and sound is your main objective then you should be okay to wait for the 907. If you were to walk into a store you would not hear the difference immediately (at least most would not). It takes some calibrating to squeeze it out.

I want to also point out that I will be adding another Antec Component Cooler System to put on top of the 906. You can see one in pic 2 on top of the Edge. They work quietly and are very effective at keeping the components cool...

I also wanted to point out that I like the microphone better (pic 3) that is coming with these newer models. I found the results to be more accurate than last generation. Mainly with levels and crossovers. I first tried it (like all of them) at neutral (factory settings) then go thru the Audyssey set up. You immediately hear a difference. It jumps out at you enveloping the room with more accurate levels.

I know some have asked me to participate in this thread before and I apologize for just now jumping in. I was on a much needed hiatus but now am fully recharged and ready to get back into the swing of things with these newer Onkyo receivers. Just don't start asking me for firmware updates on the 906 yet.

In conclusion I would just like to say I also am a BIG fan of the added THX Loudness Plus mode. It really does work. Hearing clarity at lower volumes is really cool when the rest fo the family is asleep and you are trying to keep the volume around 50. Especially when you sneak up to either watch a "movie" or play a video game. I have also experimented a lot with the new Dynamic EQ and also find it useful if you are watching DirecTV bad audio channels. For quick sound reference material I really like using HDNET's Nothing But trailers. You get strong center voice sound with cool surround activity. Also not to mention the LFE can be very deep and powerful. I always have a couple of new trailers lined up on my HD DVR to show guests. And since I trailed off this far I might as well go a little farther. My favorite sound modes for DirecTV... I like TV Logic for tv shows like Seinfeld. I like Dolby PLIIx Movie for most movies. For Sports it depends. Some channels sound different. I sometimes like Dolby PLIIx Movie but other times I like doing THX Neural Sound. I am still playing and eventually will pick a favorite for most of my NFL games. I still hear the crowd enveloping the room while only hearing the announcers in the center channel. Sometimes you get freaked out when you hear someone shout directly behind you!

And finally I wanted to point out that I am not an employee of Onkyo. I have never received a single penny from them. My opinions on their components are just that. My opinions. I call them like I hear them. I have a vast amount of different companies represented throughout my home. Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. Unless you prefer to ask them here... I am excited to be back over here and excited with the direction these receivers are headed...
LL
LL
LL

4K HDR10- ignore the “rules” and trust your eyes!
post #658 of 2801 Old 10-30-2008, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdork View Post

Can someone elaborate on the EQ settings (either automatic or otherwise) available on the 906? If you choose automatic (audessy stuff) does it run a tone sweep and adjust the eq settings? How many eq points? Can you manually adjust them or only bass and treble? I have speakers rated at 4 ohms (3.2 nominal). Will these be any problems for the 906? I am currently running a Marantz that seems to work no problem-o with them running up to about 100 db.

Your speakers should be no problem for the 906 -- but if ALL your speakers have that low an impedance you'll definately max out the power supply on peaks.

You can't make manual adjustments to Audyssey (except the Pro version).
The 906 does have a 7 band manual EQ option you can use instead of Audyssey -- the similar Integra model has 15 band manual EQ. Neither manual EQ will work on 192kHz input signals.
post #659 of 2801 Old 10-31-2008, 03:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1259 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I also wanted to point out that I like the microphone better (pic 3) that is coming with these newer models.

That mic looks just like the mic that came with my Denon 3808 (except the Denon's is black; yours looks gray). Something tells me that the Denon mic would probably work with my 905...but I'm pretty satisfied with the results that my 905's mic have given me.

So when did you say you're going to get us Dynamic EQ/Dynamic Volume firmware for the 905?
post #660 of 2801 Old 10-31-2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

And finally I wanted to point out that I am not an employee of Onkyo. I have never received a single penny from them. My opinions on their components are just that. My opinions. I call them like I hear them. I have a vast amount of different companies represented throughout my home. Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. Unless you prefer to ask them here... I am excited to be back over here and excited with the direction these receivers are headed...

Welcome back, Chief. I made the bittersweet move to the 906 after getting the NR1000 3.5 years ago. I could have made the NR1000 work, but needed a decent HDMI switcher and obviously multi-channel input for the new HD codecs. I'll keep my NR1000 for use in a yet-to-be established movie room (projection) where source switching won't be occurring as much.

I love the 906 so far, but somewhat bypassed the Audessey setup and manually adjusted the speaker levels and EQ settings. Now I'm curious as to how different the Audessey would set it up. So, I may write down my settings and then try it to see what is different. Quick question to anyone who has done the Audessey setup - can you see the values it calculates for the level and EQ settings? Will it let you modify them after it has finished?

I've been running just the normal Dolby Digital sound mode for DirecTV programming because mashing the mode button on the remote to cycle through the different ones is not really a treat. I do have the Harmony One and could program some buttons for specific soundfields, but have not done that as of yet.

In comparison (which I issue the disclaimer that it is entirely subjective to my ears), I feel the 906 actually sounds a little better than the NR1000 - at least in my living room (which is not too big - 14x18). It has a little more color. I don't know if that is due to the extra 2 frequency adjustments in the EQ section, the DAC's, or something ele (or all of the above). Of course, it could just be the placebo effect as well.

Bottom line is - while I'm certainly unhappy that Onkyo did not deliver the advertised "future-proofness" of the NR1000, having to pony up the extra money for the 906 was worth it for me.

Thanks and Be Good,

Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr906

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page