"Official" Onkyo TX-SR806 Reciever thread - Page 63 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1861 of 1871 Old 11-10-2017, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by trabbic View Post
I think you can go to "input assign" in settings, change that stuff around. Specifically the HDMI and audio section.
I'm thinking more about this. I guess I can try to set HDMI 2 to something that is audio-related only? I would have thought though that those choices (e.g., VCR, DVD, etc.) are only labels and 806 wouldn't expect there to be audio AND video. I can, however, try to assign HDMI 2 to an audio-only label and see if that makes a difference.

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 1871 Old 11-12-2017, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello folks,

Hope that someone is still around in this thread!!!

Just purchased a new TV and since my new 4K TV is “smart” I would play Netflix / You Tube through the TV and use the optical input from the TV to the AVR and will keep using HDMI for Cable TV.

The problem that I’m facing is that no matter what I do I can not get sound while playing Netflix or any app at my TV, should I change any settings / input at my Onkyo? Cable TV works just fine through HDMI.

Thanks in advance for your help!
post #1863 of 1871 Old 11-21-2017, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Tivo Bolt+, Onkyo TX-SR806 and LG OLED - no video

This is my first post, so please be kind

I currently have my Onkyo as the HDMI switch for all devices (Roku, Chromecast, PS3, etc) and one output to a Sony KDL-HX850. Everything works great when I switch between inputs, I only need the TV to display video as I have audio going through the Onkyo to my speakers. The Bolt+ is set to auto for display output and the Onkyo is set to passthrough for video decoding. When I hooked up the new LG 65C7P to the same video out from the Onkyo the Bolt+ no longer displays video and the audio does not work either. The Onkyo displays "No Signal" when connected to the LG but works just fine when connected to the Sony. The other inputs work just fine through the Onkyo and they each display an image on the LG and there are no issues with the sound, it's only when the Bolt+ is the input that I have an issue. I have connected the Bolt+ directly to the LG and it works just great, but this is not ideal as I don't want to switch inputs, etc, on the TV as that is why I have the Onkyo for.

I am not sure what device is the problem, I just am uncertain what settings on what device I should be looking to change to try and fix this problem. I tried changing the video output from the Tivo to passthrough or only 1080p/i, that didn't work. I tried changing the Onkyo video output to auto or 1080 and that didn't work. Any help is greatly appreciated. I can also answer any questions about the setup if more info is needed. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1864 of 1871 Old 04-07-2018, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Onkyo TX-SR806 Popping on startup

I have owned the Onkyo AVR for about 10 years. Recently it started popping badly on startup to the point I am concerned about what it may be doing to the speakers. When I turn it on I have to be ready to turn it off very quickly. This happens when just the AVR is powered up with speakers connected and no inputs are powered up. I have put it in for repair but they have not been able to find a specific fault. They state their is some evidence of corrosion on the main board (which are no longer available) and they think it may have something to do with the recent wet weather. They suggested when it happens again to blow a hair dryer on the back right corner of the unit to see if this stops it from happening.. Strangely enough it works and the unit starts without issue.
Does anyone have any idea what this issue is and how it may be fixed as I don’t wish to blow hot air on my AVR every time I use it..
Much appreciated in advance for your consideration.
post #1865 of 1871 Old 04-08-2018, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin1957 View Post
I have owned the Onkyo AVR for about 10 years. Recently it started popping badly on startup to the point I am concerned about what it may be doing to the speakers. When I turn it on I have to be ready to turn it off very quickly. This happens when just the AVR is powered up with speakers connected and no inputs are powered up. I have put it in for repair but they have not been able to find a specific fault. They state their is some evidence of corrosion on the main board (which are no longer available) and they think it may have something to do with the recent wet weather. They suggested when it happens again to blow a hair dryer on the back right corner of the unit to see if this stops it from happening.. Strangely enough it works and the unit starts without issue.
Does anyone have any idea what this issue is and how it may be fixed as I don’t wish to blow hot air on my AVR every time I use it..
Much appreciated in advance for your consideration.
I’m having the same issue with my 806. Not sure why it’s happening, but I’m very worried about my speakers and subs!

Planning on upgrading soon...
post #1866 of 1871 Old 05-16-2018, 02:15 PM

Onkyo 806 hdmi losing sound, overheating?

I have a 2nd hand onkyo 806 receiver. While watching movies via hdmi input it will lose sound, while video remains. I have to turn the receiver on and off or switch inputs to get sound back.

Since I've read a lot about these receivers overheating I threw a small fan on top of the receiver and it seems to not cut out anymore (although I have only watched 2 movies since)

It seems to work well otherwise.

Is this a viable solution or is this receiver on its way out and on borrowed time?

Thanks
post #1867 of 1871 Old 05-16-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrodude View Post
I have a 2nd hand onkyo 806 receiver. While watching movies via hdmi input it will lose sound, while video remains. I have to turn the receiver on and off or switch inputs to get sound back.

Since I've read a lot about these receivers overheating I threw a small fan on top of the receiver and it seems to not cut out anymore (although I have only watched 2 movies since)

It seems to work well otherwise.

Is this a viable solution or is this receiver on its way out and on borrowed time?

Thanks
Update.
Been playing music on it for a little bit via Bluetooth adapter through rca inputs. These are cutting out as well until switching inputs or restarting the receiver.
I've checked the onboard temp with the power button/tone trick and it's reading 39 degrees. However the fans never turn on inside the receiver.

So I popped the top off the receiver and using an Ir thermometer I measured temp in a few different places. Main heatsink is 99 degrees, hdmi board is 100-120 depending in location. Board under hdmi board has a chip on it that got hot during movies (145+!)
On music the bottom board behind the main heatsink is getting to 125-130 When music cuts out.
Again no fans running inside.

When I put a fan over top it all coils down quickly.

When I do the display/power button and time button to bring up onboard temp readings my display is reading as follows
V: 016 F: x
S:H
T:039

I assume v is current volume as it goes up when sound goes up.
F I am assuming is Fan, why is it X?
S I would assume is speed and H means it's supposed to be on high but it's not running?
T is temp and 39 degrees C. I wonder where the temp sensor is reading from.
post #1868 of 1871 Old 12-30-2018, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Not sure if anyone is still using this receiver... anyone know how it does HDMI switching with power off? Does it remember the last HDMI input when the power was last on, or does it have some way to switch with power off? Thanks.
post #1869 of 1871 Old 12-30-2018, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I have one. It powers up with the same input that was last used when turned off.

filmnut
post #1870 of 1871 Old 12-30-2018, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmnut View Post
I have one. It powers up with the same input that was last used when turned off.
So if you want to switch inputs without running the receiver, you need to power it up momentarily, then power it down?

That's the way I thought it would work, but mine seems to be switching on its own without powering it up. I have a cable box and a Roku tied in to HDMI 3 and 2, respectively. When I run cable without the receiver, power down the TV/cable box, and then power up the Roku without the receiver, it switches. Unfortunately it's not reliable.

Maybe this is a symptom of some of the Onkyo HDMI issues, need to read up more on the problems they have. I haven't run this receiver in 5 years, and never used it for HDMI switching.

Thanks.
post #1871 of 1871 Old 12-30-2018, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I'm surprised to hear that it would even pass a signal through it at all while it's off. Interesting.

filmnut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
lg oled , Onkyo , tivo bolt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page