Will I have Problems, Denon 3805 + Ps3? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-11-2009, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am digging out my old Denon 3805 and hooking it up to my ps3 since i am getting out of my apartment...Due to it being so old will I have any Problems running the HDMI to the tv and an Optical Digital cable to the receiver?

I am asking this due to all the new codecs that are out and even though the PS3 resolves all that internally and passes it out with Linear PCM...i just need some tech hel in that aspect....or would i be better off buying some $500 or so HDMI capable receiver ex.. Pioneer 1019?

I read some of the old posts about Uncompressed PCM to the PS3 but they are all pretty old and wondered if anything had been fixed or not or what.

Thank you ahead of time
Goofoff

Chaos is how the world keeps moving along, order just inhibits the innovation it creates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-11-2009, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked: 4740
no problem, just go HDMI to TV and optical to the 3805. You can set up the PS3 to output video and audio over different cables so no issue. Set optical audio output to "bitstream".

You will not be able to hear the full lossless soundtracks on Blu Rays, you will get a downmixed (but maximum bitrate) Dolby Digital or DTS "core" track instead. Lossless audio and multichannel PCM cannot be sent over optical, only HDMI. However, the downmix or "core" track will still be 95% as good as the full lossless track and I think you will be happier listening to a high quality downmix on a hoss like the 3805 versus downgrading to some entry level model just so you can get the audio over HDMI.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #3 of 3 Old 05-11-2009, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks a lot... never had the ps3 hooked up to a receiver yet so i didn't know you could configure the audio/video over seperate cables...and i didn't want to spend all the extra cash on that plus new speakers as well.

Chaos is how the world keeps moving along, order just inhibits the innovation it creates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page