Pioneer SC-25 and SC-27 Receiver Thread - Page 181 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #5401 of 5424 Old 11-14-2018, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Still can't seem to see why this cd input/ouput aren't active. Going from output to input on JVC CD record and viola, it should work, but doesn't.

Where's the tape monitor when you want it?
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/S...ctions0421.pdf

Page 92, right-hand side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 5424 Old 11-14-2018, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks,

You have no idea how many times I read that and feel somehow, I'm missing what I'm supposed to be doing.

I'm not sure if this part is what's screwing me up. Since I am trying to record from my PC home theater via HDMI into the SC27.

Keep in mind you can’t make a digital recording from an analog source or vice-versa, so make sure the components you are recording to/from are hooked up in the same way (see Connecting your equipment on page 20 for more on connections). Since the video converter is not available when making recordings (from the video OUT jacks) make sure to use the same type of video cable for connecting your recorder as you used to connect your video source (the one you want to record) to this receiver. For example, you must connect your recorder using Component video if your source has also been connected using Component video.

I have a 1018 VSX, think I'll try it.
post #5403 of 5424 Old 11-14-2018, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks,

You have no idea how many times I read that and feel somehow, I'm missing what I'm supposed to be doing.

I'm not sure if this part is what's screwing me up. Since I am trying to record from my PC home theater via HDMI into the SC27.

Keep in mind you can’t make a digital recording from an analog source or vice-versa, so make sure the components you are recording to/from are hooked up in the same way (see Connecting your equipment on page 20 for more on connections). Since the video converter is not available when making recordings (from the video OUT jacks) make sure to use the same type of video cable for connecting your recorder as you used to connect your video source (the one you want to record) to this receiver. For example, you must connect your recorder using Component video if your source has also been connected using Component video.

I have a 1018 VSX, think I'll try it.
I believe that you have found the core of the problem... These AVR's do not provide signal conversion between analog and digital, although it MAY provide that conversion for whatever you send in to be output via the HDMI connection.

Try recording something off of the radio. If that works, you've found the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5404 of 5424 Old 11-14-2018, 01:57 PM

Radio worked! WTD
post #5405 of 5424 Old 11-14-2018, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Radio worked! WTD
The "lack of DAC" is your problem, then.
post #5406 of 5424 Old 11-14-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
The "lack of DAC" is your problem, then.
Thanks, but what I did to complecate things was I have a ASUS XONAR HDAV DLX in the home theater PC and that going to my receiver. Wouldnt that constitue a dac?

Don't know why I keep the ASUS and just go direct HDMI video card but I don't.
post #5407 of 5424 Old 11-15-2018, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, but what I did to complecate things was I have a ASUS XONAR HDAV DLX in the home theater PC and that going to my receiver. Wouldnt that constitue a dac?

Don't know why I keep the ASUS and just go direct HDMI video card but I don't.
What I was referring to was the lack of a Digital to Analog Converter within the AVR for converting the incoming digital source signal to an analog signal so that you can record it with your tape deck.
post #5408 of 5424 Old 12-21-2018, 11:48 AM

I gave up on recording cassetts. Can't get their from here.

But I wanted to know does this receiver support ARC (Audio Return Channel)?

Reading pg 29 of the manual, I suspect it does not.

The sound of the TV cannot be heard over the receiver
if the TV is connected using an HDMI cable.
If you want to listen to the sound of the TV over the
receiver, connect the receiver and TV with audio
cables.
post #5409 of 5424 Old 12-21-2018, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3276 Post(s)
Liked: 3365
I gave mine to my son but I am pretty sure the SC-25/27 pre-dates ARC, at least in the Pioneer line-up. That came in a later version of the HDMI spec than these support.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5410 of 5424 Old 12-21-2018, 12:22 PM

Thanks,

You know, I just watched a video on SACD's. How you had to buy a new capable CD/DVD player to play them and then also had to buy or have a capable receiver and so on.

And then's Stereo to 5.1, 7.1 and so on. Atmos, new player and new receiver plus more speakers, want 3d, new tv (projector) plus the glasses and other.

Now its 4k! New receiver, new tv (projector) 3d died I guess.

I want off...
post #5411 of 5424 Old 12-21-2018, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

SC-25/27 is HDMI 1.3 compliant. ARC requires HDMI 1.4
Phantom Stranger likes this.
post #5412 of 5424 Old 12-22-2018, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hi guys. It’s been quite a while since I have checked this thread, but hopped on this morning with a question. I have the SC25, and it has been great, but with the advance in technology, I feel I may be suffering from FOMO (fear of missing out). I had jumped into the 4 k world last year with my tv, blu Ray player and 4k Apple TV. My blu Ray player is the Oppo 203, which has 2 hdmi outputs, one for audio to the receiver, and one to the tv. The problem is that my Apple TV has to go up to my tv first, and I use an optical cable to come back to the receiver for audio, which of course, limits the audio options I have. I was thinking about getting a new receiver that passes 4k signals, unless you all have a different suggestion. I was looking at the Marantz SR7013, which is on sale at a local audio shop. It seems like it is a good choice for what I need.
Any thoughts would be appreciated
Thanks.
Dale.
post #5413 of 5424 Old 12-22-2018, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 1166
I recently moved from the SC 25 to a Marantz SR6012 when I upgraded to 4K and Dolby ATMs. I really like it. With two 18” Subs the high end Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 really shines. I also needed the Pre outs as I have a 200 w/c Rotel power amp.

Spoiler!
post #5414 of 5424 Old 01-21-2019, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey all.. I have a question about my SC-25. I recently bought the Marantz 7012.. loved it in movie mode was super clear..sounded great! Just couldn't get it to add any bass to my fronts when I wanted to listen to 2-channel stereo so I sent it back and hooked this back up. I am still happy with it just thought I needed to upgrade due to the 4k tv and I was possibly missing something. So back to the Pioneer. I have an ethernet cable hooked up to this but I can't seem to find the area under 'home media' where its supposed to get me to where i can get the latest firmware update. I get there but there is nothing that is for updating the unit. Any help?

I'm going to go out on Wed and look at some McIntosh block amps to see if they can help run my front speakers, Acoustic Zen Adagios. I can't seem to get them to sound like what they should. I'm looking for that warm tube sound out of them.. can't get that from this receiver. I think I can hook them up to this receiver..
post #5415 of 5424 Old 01-22-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by higrpwdd View Post
Hey all.. I have a question about my SC-25. I recently bought the Marantz 7012.. loved it in movie mode was super clear..sounded great! Just couldn't get it to add any bass to my fronts when I wanted to listen to 2-channel stereo so I sent it back and hooked this back up. I am still happy with it just thought I needed to upgrade due to the 4k tv and I was possibly missing something. So back to the Pioneer. I have an ethernet cable hooked up to this but I can't seem to find the area under 'home media' where its supposed to get me to where i can get the latest firmware update. I get there but there is nothing that is for updating the unit. Any help?

I'm going to go out on Wed and look at some McIntosh block amps to see if they can help run my front speakers, Acoustic Zen Adagios. I can't seem to get them to sound like what they should. I'm looking for that warm tube sound out of them.. can't get that from this receiver. I think I can hook them up to this receiver..
This unit has been out awhile. I wonder if the server for firmware updates is still available.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
post #5416 of 5424 Old 01-23-2019, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This unit had to be updated via usb drive. It did not have internet accessible firmware updates to my knowledge. I had to have a service center create the usb for me many years ago for an update when I needed it. I don’t think they listed them online.
Phantom Stranger likes this.
post #5417 of 5424 Old 01-23-2019, 07:21 PM

+1. There was never a user core FW release AFAIK. You had to ship/take it to a service center. There was an AVS poster providing the updates and a detailed instruction set to install it but you did so at your own risk. I did successfully install a couple of the updates to resolve a few issues I had with it. The Home Media update is different. There is (was) also SW to allow you to grab more detail from the MCCAC runs but it did not allow you to modify and restore them (as I had really hoped!)

Edit: Google shows a few sites with FW if you care to try it.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5418 of 5424 Old 07-18-2019, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 23
This thread has been inactive for a while (to my detriment) but as I am getting back into audio after a 6 year sabbatical, I need to know if I have any reason to update my SC-27.

Let me clearly state, I do NOT need 4k, atmos or DTS X. Neither am I running any form of UHD material. My uses will be strictly blu ray with true HD and DTS MA. I do not have a 4k TV nor the likes. Do i need to upgrade my SC-27?
post #5419 of 5424 Old 07-18-2019, 05:36 PM

If I followed that, then no reason to update. My son is happily using my old SC-27.

post #5420 of 5424 Old 07-19-2019, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post
This thread has been inactive for a while (to my detriment) but as I am getting back into audio after a 6 year sabbatical, I need to know if I have any reason to update my SC-27.

Let me clearly state, I do NOT need 4k, atmos or DTS X. Neither am I running any form of UHD material. My uses will be strictly blu ray with true HD and DTS MA. I do not have a 4k TV nor the likes. Do i need to upgrade my SC-27?
Your S key is terrible

You don't need to do a thing other than enjoy the unit.
post #5421 of 5424 Old 07-19-2019, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've had persons say that but I cant see it for myself. On my screen everything looks fine. I'm using the app, maybe that's why.

But thanks anyway.
post #5422 of 5424 Old 07-19-2019, 10:11 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post
I've had persons say that but I cant see it for myself. On my screen everything looks fine. I'm using the app, maybe that's why.

But thanks anyway.
So you can see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skey.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	2592694  
post #5423 of 5424 Old 07-20-2019, 09:28 AM

It's been discussed elsewhere and appears to be a bug in the phone OS.

post #5424 of 5424 Old 07-30-2019, 11:24 AM

Playing FLAC files on SC-27

Between a CD player failure (in a system that also plays files from USB) and getting a car that plays music from a USB stick, I've finally given in to ripping my CDs. My FLAC files play fine (and sound great) in those systems.

My SC-27 won't 'see' FLAC files on a USB stick. [does see (and play) MP3 files]

Yesterday I set up HMG access to my laptop and tried streaming my FLAC files . . No go --folders full of FLAC files show up as "empty". [my MP3 files will display and play]

Is there something special I need to do to play FLAC on the SC-27?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page