Sherwood R-972 User Thread - Page 120 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #3571 of 3602 Old 01-22-2020, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked: 1559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
The R-972 uses a dumbed down (for DSP) version of the Trinnov optimizer. It's performance is exceeded by Dirac Live 2.0 IME/IMO. I would buy a NAD 758v3 before dropping $700 on a R-972.
Considering that this is 2020 I would agree with you, but there's one exception to the rule: if you have a need for Trinnov's Remapping and have a 5.1 or 7.1 system. In those limited cases, the R-972 might still have some value over a processor in Dirac for that one purpose. Whether that should be important to you is a different subject.
Marc Alexander likes this.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification

Last edited by sdrucker; 01-22-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3572 of 3602 Old 01-22-2020, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
A word of advice, don't waste time/money for repair of these units.

A great alternative to the R972 is the NAD T758v3. Audyssey is a step backwards in an untreated space. If you only need some modal correction below Schroeder, XT-32 w/Audyssey app is effective. I do believe the Denon X4000 series is worth the cost over the X3000.
I have a Denon 3500 and use the app for correction below 300hz. and it works very well. But I do miss the way the R972 with 3D remapping had the vocals coming directly from the center of the screen. Even though I have my center angled up towards the MLP I still know the sound is coming from below the screen. I assume Dirac is the same in that regard. I wish some manufacturer could try to implement Trinnov in an updated affordable unit again even if it was limited like the Sherwood.
post #3573 of 3602 Old 01-23-2020, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA_S6 View Post
I have the 1.47 version. Drop me a PM with your email and I can help you out.
Thank you. Appreciate that. As soon as I get my post count up to the minimum level I will be able to do that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3574 of 3602 Old 01-23-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
You should find both 1.34 and 1.47 attached.
Awsome! Thanks so much for posting the Firmware. Now to see if I still have a PC with a serial port around!
post #3575 of 3602 Old 01-23-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
You should find both 1.34 and 1.47 attached.
Quick question - I recall a version that had a 6db bass boost as well. Would you also have that available to post? I would'nt mind trying both to see which works better for my room.

Thanks again!

Ed
post #3576 of 3602 Old 01-23-2020, 09:09 AM

How is life after the R-972?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amt View Post
My R972 has been unused for the last 7 months, but I decided to put it back in service this week. Everything was working previously, but now all digital inputs are not working. Not sure what changed when sitting for 7 months. Anyway, this was just to tide me over until my new processor arrives (Anthem AVM 60). I think the R972 still may have some use for me as a 7 channel amplifier.
I'm starting to get some digital "artefacts" surfacing in my R-972, in the form of random "chirps" which seem to be increasing in frequency. As a result I've been starting to look at various Pre-Pros, and much as I would like to stay on the Trinnov Bandwagon...I simply cannot justify the cost of doing so. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Anthem AVM60. I would love hear your experience/feedback of moving to the AVM60 from the R-972. How would you describe your experience and final results?

Thanks for your insinghts!

Ed
post #3577 of 3602 Old 01-23-2020, 09:33 AM

Exploring life beyond the R-972 - ADA TEQ Trinnov?

Due to recently surfaced "chirp" issues, I'm starting to consider next steps beyond my R-972, much as I do love it.

Has anyone tried the ADA TEQ-4,TEQ-8 or TEQ-12 system with Trinnov? Does this product sit between the Pre/Pro and power amps? Would these enable one to keep Trinnov room correction with any newer Pre/Pro that I were to choose?

I'm trying to determine if this might allow me to have trinnov at a more cost effective point than an Altitude.

I apreciate any insight that the group may have!

Ed
post #3578 of 3602 Old 01-23-2020, 12:36 PM
amt
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvins View Post
I would love hear your experience/feedback of moving to the AVM60 from the R-972. How would you describe your experience and final results?
Ed
Well, honestly I am probably not the best person to evaluate how the Anthem has been because I have not fully "used" it. I do have it in my home theater for 5.1, but actually I've been without a subwoofer for quite a while, so I am really 5.0 right now. For that reason I have still not used ARC.

I will say that I've had zero problems with it. No chirps, and the input signals lock on quickly and doesn't get "lost" like I had the with Emotiva XMC-1. There is also no hum whatsoever, and I did have some hum in the R972. I actually had to stop using the R972 for near field because that hum was simply too loud.

I wish I could offer more about ARC, but from what I gather, it's better than some of the lower-end room EQs but not quite as good as Dirac.

It would be awesome if someone like Minidsp offered a Trinnov product like they have for Dirac.
post #3579 of 3602 Old 01-23-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amt View Post
Well, honestly I am probably not the best person to evaluate how the Anthem has been because I have not fully "used" it. I do have it in my home theater for 5.1, but actually I've been without a subwoofer for quite a while, so I am really 5.0 right now. For that reason I have still not used ARC.

I will say that I've had zero problems with it. No chirps, and the input signals lock on quickly and doesn't get "lost" like I had the with Emotiva XMC-1. There is also no hum whatsoever, and I did have some hum in the R972. I actually had to stop using the R972 for near field because that hum was simply too loud.

I wish I could offer more about ARC, but from what I gather, it's better than some of the lower-end room EQs but not quite as good as Dirac.

It would be awesome if someone like Minidsp offered a Trinnov product like they have for Dirac.
Thanks. I do appreciate your insight! I'm actually in a 5.1 situation as well with Magnepan speakers...and I don't envision that changing any time soon. Sounds like the AVM60 was a set up from the r-972 for you?

Re the minidsp...Im wondering if the ADA TEQ-16 that I mentioned in my other post is that "Trinnov dsp" that you are describing....
post #3580 of 3602 Old 01-24-2020, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Re the minidsp...Im wondering if the ADA TEQ-16 that I mentioned in my other post is that "Trinnov dsp" that you are describing....

The ADA TEQ-16 is a outboard unit that was originally designed to be connected with an ADA processor. It's a Trinnov/ADA product. Nothing to do with minidsp. Trinnov licensing is expensive and implementing the Optimizer is an extensive process. That's why it's primarily only been available through Trinnov products lines

Help put an end to the reach-around mentality and bring the "Science" back to AVS.
post #3581 of 3602 Old 01-27-2020, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I personally counted up to 50 e caps and stopped.

It's been a week since I told the shop to go ahead with the process out of curiosity, budget concerns and keeping in mind the fact that before the 972 started failing, I never even considered upgrading.

I have infinity ac fans laying in wait now and hope they will lend to a little more longevity to the repaired 972 or what ever I may get in the future.

My yr 01 5.1 technics in service as I type has a lot to be desired in comparison to the 972 but, by no means terrible and will have to do until I am budgeted for something else regardless.
post #3582 of 3602 Old 02-01-2020, 07:01 PM

Would anyone have a copy of the 1.47i firmware (rather than just the straight 1.47 version) that they could post? I’d greatly appreciate it. My audio still drops out (completely stops) on both HDMI1 and HDMI2.

Thanks!

Ed
post #3583 of 3602 Old 02-02-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Awsome! Thanks so much for posting the Firmware. Now to see if I still have a PC with a serial port around!
I used a thumb drive connected directly to the r972 years ago. Fat 32 format if memory still serves.
post #3584 of 3602 Old 02-02-2020, 01:10 PM

Picked up the r972 from the shop friday afternoon. For verification of repair, connected a decommissioned ctr ch, bluray player and flatscreen. Everything seemed to work swapped out the 5.1 and gave it a full workout. Not a single hiccup. I must admit, in my enthusiasm to verify repairs, I managed to break a hdmi and toslink cable.

For those that might be interested in the repair, I inquired and answer was he will not attempt repair on just the board.
Contact info for shop: 7277102002. I receive no discount or benefit for referral.
Marc Alexander likes this.
post #3585 of 3602 Old 02-10-2020, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I used a good quality USB to serial adapter and the update worked fine.
post #3586 of 3602 Old 02-20-2020, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Are you using of the AVR's internal amplifiers? When used strictly as a preamp the majority of heat is generated by the HDMI board.

I have a donor R-972 (flaky DSP board) if someone needs a board replacement. PM me.

It appears that the R-872 uses many of the same boards as the 972 (sans the optimizer DSP). I've looked for 872's but they are always overpriced.
Hi,

My R 972, is in the repair shop and the guy says the HDMI board is bad and is looking for a replacement. Does anyone have a working board still, and is willing to part ways with it?? If so please let me know. I cant send PM's yet as this is my first post!

Thanks very much!
post #3587 of 3602 Old 02-24-2020, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo C View Post
From standby if I touch any remote button the subs thump??
Apologies if this has been shared previously. I was experiencing thumping whenever the TV remote or Roku remote buttons were being used (and the r972 was "off" in Standby).

A couple things seemed to have helped:

1) switching the r972 input to "Ext In" before putting in Standby ("turning off") - I don't have anything hooked up to this input, and it isn't configured in the AVR Setup (left in default Analog) - this didn't solve the problem completely, but the thumping seemed to happen less frequently and the thumps were softer. Could be chance improvement.

2) Using remote apps (iOS) for the TV and Roku - i.e. using home network to control. This requires the TV to be on your network too. So far, seems like a real solution. Can fully navigate Roku and TV without generating thumps. My TV is eight years old and the app worked.

YMMV
post #3588 of 3602 Old 02-24-2020, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Has anyone tried the ADA TEQ-4,TEQ-8 or TEQ-12 system with Trinnov? Does this product sit between the Pre/Pro and power amps? Would these enable one to keep Trinnov room correction with any newer Pre/Pro that I were to choose?

Ed
Yes. Yes. Yes.

I used a TEQ with an Integra DTR-70.6 for a year or so. I got great sound in my small room (1100 cu ft), even more so after upgrading to a pair of Seaton Submersives. ARC and XT32 didn't come close to controlling the bass and I didn't know what "immersive sound" was until getting the TEQ. I also ran a Lexicon MC-12HD and Anthem D2v through the TEQ and couldn't tell the difference in SQ from the Integra; and the Integra was the only completely glitch free HDMI processor I've had. I bought a Sherwood R-972 out of curiosity. I ran it through the TEQ and the bass was so muddy I was done listening in less than 60 seconds. I used the R-972 in another room for a while before taking out that whole system since the main one was so much better. I also ran a NAD T758v3 through the TEQ and found the bass was slightly muddy but not terrible. After connecting the NAD directly to my Lexicon RX-7 and running Dirac, I was really impressed as the sound seemed the same as using the TEQ. I returned that NAD, though, because it had too many issues. But after selling the TEQ I bought another one, which I'm using now. As I expected, I wasn't getting those "wow, that sounds good" moments that I often got with the TEQ and Integra. But I found out about David Elrod power cables when researching for a different PC to try. I picked up an older one and it brought the SQ to where I do get those "wow" moments again. I was interested in trying the Lyngdorf MP-50 if a deal came up... but not anymore.

ADA stopped doing hardware support for the TEQ about two years ago, but it is well made and I would expect one to keep working for a long time. Oh, and I have gotten satisfying sound in my living room with Anthem/ARC (for music).
post #3589 of 3602 Old 03-13-2020, 10:18 AM

Anyone have a spare optical board? I recently had the hdmi board repaired but now, the optical board is cutting out. Only channels 4 & 5 still working and are about to go bad. The repair shop has confirmed that a chip or multiple chips are the culprit. Please pm if you have one. Tia.
post #3590 of 3602 Old 03-19-2020, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 6110 Post(s)
Liked: 5671
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans455 View Post
Hi,

My R 972, is in the repair shop and the guy says the HDMI board is bad and is looking for a replacement. Does anyone have a working board still, and is willing to part ways with it?? If so please let me know. I cant send PM's yet as this is my first post!

Thanks very much!
I have spare parts for the R-972. However, I'm not able to closely monitor the forum threads. Find a way to PM me or e-mail via yahoo mail (AVAnalysis).
post #3591 of 3602 Old 03-19-2020, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 6110 Post(s)
Liked: 5671
I have confirmed that the Sherwood R-872 shares many of the same parts as the 972, including HDMI and digital I/Os. The only significant difference being the REQ/DSP and mic utilized. Instead of the Room Optimizer (lite) of the 972 the 872 appears to offer the basic distance/delay, level, crossover, and some type of EQ. There does not seem to be a way to view or edit whatever EQ is applied but the manual implies that the target curve is ruler flat.

[EGG ON FACE] I posted prematurely. While the R-872 looks very similar none of the significant parts are interchangeable with the R-972. Sorry

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 03-19-2020 at 11:15 AM.
post #3592 of 3602 Old 03-22-2020, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Has anyone tried hooking up ceiling speakers to their 972 to see what it would do. We just had a new house built and I wired it for a 5.1.2 Atmos setup. We haven’t moved in yet and I was planning on selling the 972 with our current house. If it will work with the new speaker configuration I might take it with us.

post #3593 of 3602 Old 03-22-2020, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Quoted: 7778 Post(s)
Liked: 6943
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtenn View Post
If it will work with the new speaker configuration I might take it with us.
Depends on what you mean by "work". You can connect a 7-channel receiver to 7 speakers and they will all produce sound. But which 2 channels are you going to connect to the height speakers?

Sanjay
post #3594 of 3602 Old 03-22-2020, 09:25 PM

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Depends on what you mean by "work". You can connect a 7-channel receiver to 7 speakers and they will all produce sound. But which 2 channels are you going to connect to the height speakers?
If you take the rear speaker output (if memory serves those are the outputs Curt Hoyt suggested), and used them as your ceiling speakers and then run the Trinnov optimizer (TO), it will account for the speakers being in the ceiling and used them in a manner that helps envelop the listener. I actually used Hoyt's suggestion with front height speakers and it worked quite well.

Please note that I am not suggesting the TO was able to add the information from the source to the height front speaker (or the ceiling speaker as being proposed), but rather it was able to optimize the use of the speaker in a manner that enhanced the listening experience for the listener (or at least it did in my case, and in some of Curt's cases).
sdurani likes this.
post #3595 of 3602 Old 03-22-2020, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
If it will work with the new speaker configuration I might take it with us.
I was planning on connecting the SBL & SBR to the ceiling speakers.

post #3596 of 3602 Old 03-22-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
With 7.1 material, won't sounds intended to come from behind you (SB channels) instead come from above you?

Sanjay
post #3597 of 3602 Old 03-22-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin GS View Post
If you take the rear speaker output (if memory serves those are the outputs Curt Hoyt suggested), and used them as your ceiling speakers and then run the Trinnov optimizer (TO), it will account for the speakers being in the ceiling and used them in a manner that helps envelop the listener.
From what I remember, you have to enable the speaker remapping feature.

Sanjay
post #3598 of 3602 Old 03-23-2020, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
With 7.1 material, won't sounds intended to come from behind you (SB channels) instead come from above you?
Not sure it the TO will correct that with the 3D mapping turned on.

post #3599 of 3602 Old 03-31-2020, 12:44 PM

Liked: 40
Quote:
From what I remember, you have to enable the speaker remapping feature.
Correct.
post #3600 of 3602 Old 04-03-2020, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

So I took the 972 to the new house and I'll try it out with the ceiling speakers until I can get a new receiver. I'll report back on how it sounds?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sherwood Newcastle R 972

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page