Official marantz nr1501 slim receiver owners' thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #61 of 403 Old 11-23-2009, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2846
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakelock View Post

thanks for the ideas. i don't mind the audio being decoded by the receiver when the receiver is on. i was hoping that if someone wanted to just throw in a dvd to watch without fussing with the receiver, they could do that. but i guess it doesn't work that way.

If your BD player has digital audio out (coax or optical), then you can connect HDMI directly to the TV and send 5.1 audio separately to the receiver. It won't be able to do lossless audio through the receiver, but it might be an acceptable compromise.

Of course, I'm rashly assuming your TV has more than one HDMI input, or that your other input devices don't use HDMI.

Quote:

yeah, i ran the auto setup and it sounds decent but the explosions and other sound effects are a bit too loud compared to vocals. this seems to almost always happen with surround systems. what i usually do is run the auto speaker calibration then crank up the center channel ~1dB or so. what i was hoping to do was have the center channel info sent to the front speakers while still being able to individually increase the level of the center channel info. you can't do this though. guess i'll just have to buy another peice of audio equip (a center channel)

This hobby does get expensive after a while, what with having to buy something more to make up for a defect in what we've got!

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 403 Old 11-25-2009, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for everyone's input on this receiver. I bought the 1501 a few weeks ago but didn't get around to setting up the speakers using the Auto setup until this week. I am a novice at using these setups. I must say, however, I was more impressed with the sound after running the setup. I didn't have to turn the volume up as much.

Confused about a few things that don't seem to be addressed in the instructions Before you do the auto setup do you set the Room Eq Config. mode to OFF or On?

The other thing is before doing auto setup the instructions tell you to set the subwoofer volume control to the center position and set the crossover frequency to off or the highest frequency. So my control is from 120 Hz to 40 Hz so I set it to 120. After the auto setup is complete do you retain these settings. I found the bass to be too loud for some blu-ray concerts.....movies not so bad. Thanks
post #63 of 403 Old 11-25-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstevens View Post

The other thing is before doing auto setup the instructions tell you to set the subwoofer volume control to the center position and set the crossover frequency to off or the highest frequency. So my control is from 120 Hz to 40 Hz so I set it to 120. After the auto setup is complete do you retain these settings. I found the bass to be too loud for some blu-ray concerts.....movies not so bad. Thanks

hey fstevens,
glad to hear your on your way. not sure about your first question but regarding the sub, yes and no! leave the crossover setting on the sub at it's highest value (120 Hz). this is because the amp itself will decide what frequencies to send the sub. as far as the sub loudness goes, adjust it up or down as you like. if it's a bit loud for you, dial it down a taste (either on the sub itself or in the setup menu for the amp). i usually fine tune the sub level with the dial right on the sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 403 Old 11-25-2009, 12:53 PM

fstevens,

Sorry to jump in on your questions. I'm new to the forum but had similar questions / concerns as you. I'm not sure if your set the Romm Eq on or off either.

Also, if anyone can help me out here.....I'm having problems with the settings on the NR1501. DTS isn't registering on the receiver for me when I'm playing Blue Ray. I am playing them on the older PS3 which I have heard does not allow DTS True HD like the newer slim model, but there are like five DTS input allowances; shouldn't some sort of DTS input register on the receiver? Also, I noitced that action scenes in Blue Ray are awesome sounding but when a dialogue scene is on, I pretty much have to turn up the volume to hear what is being said. I am operating 5.1 so I have a center Channel connected although it is just a little Boston Acoustics globe speaker. Lastly, how can I get a 2 channel input to sound as good as possible on the NR1501? I noitce that nonHD channels will switch my input from Dolby Ditigal to NEO6 and all the sound comes thru the center channel, leaving only a hummng noise n both fronts.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out here.
post #65 of 403 Old 11-25-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigglesworth View Post

fstevens,

Sorry to jump in on your questions. I'm new to the forum but had similar questions / concerns as you. I'm not sure if your set the Romm Eq on or off either.

Also, if anyone can help me out here.....I'm having problems with the settings on the NR1501. DTS isn't registering on the receiver for me when I'm playing Blue Ray. I am playing them on the older PS3 which I have heard does not allow DTS True HD like the newer slim model, but there are like five DTS input allowances; shouldn't some sort of DTS input register on the receiver? Also, I noitced that action scenes in Blue Ray are awesome sounding but when a dialogue scene is on, I pretty much have to turn up the volume to hear what is being said. I am operating 5.1 so I have a center Channel connected although it is just a little Boston Acoustics globe speaker. Lastly, how can I get a 2 channel input to sound as good as possible on the NR1501? I noitce that nonHD channels will switch my input from Dolby Ditigal to NEO6 and all the sound comes thru the center channel, leaving only a hummng noise n both fronts.

Honestly I leave my surround on Auto and don't mess with NEO6 or Pro Logic IIz. This means CDs are heard in luxurious 2.1 (depending on your mains). As far as not being able to hear the center channel... is it crossed over properly? You can always nudge up the output of the center channel if need be.
post #66 of 403 Old 11-25-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstevens View Post

Thank you for everyone's input on this receiver. I bought the 1501 a few weeks ago but didn't get around to setting up the speakers using the Auto setup until this week. I am a novice at using these setups. I must say, however, I was more impressed with the sound after running the setup. I didn't have to turn the volume up as much.

If you look at the speaker settings, I suspect you'll find that some of their settings have been increased. (e.g. +2db)

Quote:

Confused about a few things that don't seem to be addressed in the instructions Before you do the auto setup do you set the Room Eq Config. mode to OFF or On?

I tried it both ways. They each came up with different crossover frequencies for both the center and surround speakers. I didn't really do any critical listening to find out which sounded better, but left EQ enabled.

Quote:

You might try running the auto setup several times. I suspect it'll come up with different values. You can use whichever sounds better, or simply turn the sub's setting down a little in the receiver. Of course, don't forget that different productions have different bass mixes.
====
I suggest doing the adjustment in the receiver so that when you run auto adjust again, you'll realize you need to adjust that again. Otherwise, it'll keep producing higher and higher settings for the sub volume as it tries to compensate for you having turned the gain down on the sub -- and then you'll have to turn it even further down on the sub.

Selden

post #67 of 403 Old 11-25-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:

fstevens,

Also, if anyone can help me out here.....I'm having problems with the settings on the NR1501. DTS isn't registering on the receiver for me when I'm playing Blue Ray. I am playing them on the older PS3 which I have heard does not allow DTS True HD like the newer slim model, but there are like five DTS input allowances; shouldn't some sort of DTS input register on the receiver?

I don't have a PS3, so I dunno how that affects things. (I have a Pioneer BDP-120) The NR1501 detected DTS fine for me when playing a DVD and when playing a CD, both with standard DTS encoding. I don't think I've played a BD with DTS, though.
Quote:

Also, I noitced that action scenes in Blue Ray are awesome sounding but when a dialogue scene is on, I pretty much have to turn up the volume to hear what is being said. I am operating 5.1 so I have a center Channel connected although it is just a little Boston Acoustics globe speaker.

The db setting for the center speaker may be too low. You might try increasing it manually.
Quote:

Lastly, how can I get a 2 channel input to sound as good as possible on the NR1501? I noitce that nonHD channels will switch my input from Dolby Ditigal to NEO6 and all the sound comes thru the center channel, leaving only a hummng noise n both fronts.

I'd try stepping through the various surround modes to see which one sounds best for you. I think the last one you select will be left as the default (but I'm not sure).

There are settings in the receiver for PrologicIIx Music mode, for example, which can be adjusted to control how much of the in-phase (center speaker) audio gets mixed into the L/R speakers. I haven't done much listening with the Neo6 mode, but I don't recall hearing anything like what you described.

Selden

post #68 of 403 Old 11-25-2009, 09:13 PM

Hi,

Well I recently auditioned the Marantz NR1501 (CDN $568 + Tax) attached to some cube speakers at a high end stereo store in the main wide open televison display room, sitting on a sofa about 10' away from the display it was connected to (I'd say the room is 75' x 35' with a waist height divider wall about 1/3 of the way into the middle of the room). I also have a Denon AVR-4310ci at home in the main listening room that I could subjectively compare it to.

In short... the sound quality is just excellent. It's as simple as that. The 50" Samsung LED display that it was connected to coupled with a BD player was equally impressive.

There is no GUI over Video which is what I really wanted to find out for myself since I LOVE using this feature on my Denon. On the Denon, one push of a button instantly brings up 5.1 levels that can be adjusted on the fly as well as the main volume (of course all other menu options are available too but you have to go digging a little deeper). If you want to go menu hopping on the Marantz, the NR1501 must black out the audio/ video and switch over to an independent board for adjustments. This just about caused me to label it a Deal Killer until the salesman showed me that you can still adjust all 5 channels without having to black out the screen and switch over to the independent Menu board. I knew you could adjust Bass/ Treble on the fly with the remote but you can also access the 5 other channels with the remote using the Receiver's LED display on the front panel. That revived my interest in this unit. As long as I don't have to interrupt my viewing experience to adjust levels on the fly, I don't care if that happens on the Main TV Display or the Receiver itself. Save! It's not as convenient but at least it's there.

I have the Energy Take Classic 5 with an ESW-V10 Sub at home just waiting to be connected to some power for use in my bedroom (or future computer room/ den) and I know they will sound way better than the cheapo's I was listening to in the store with a tiny 6 or 8" micro sub. I thought if the Marantz sounds this good on these things, it'll only get better attached the Energy's.

Turning the volume up produced strong, clean power that was only degraded by the limits of the cubes being reached. 50W on paper would appear to be lacking something, but it's really not. The sound was definitely, rich, warm & buttery. And that my friends is what hooks you! Almost immediately you start making up excuses as to why you don't "actually" need all of the other bells & whistles that you know bigger receivers like the Denon have (even though you know you want them)!

One by one the sacrifices mentally start being made. "Well... I don't really need Ethernet based HD Radio, USB port, GUI over Video, Pre-Outs or Anchor Bay 2010. Darn, why couldn't they at least include iChips?!" LOL! What other receiver brand do you know can do that to your psyche without really stepping it up a notch or two in price?

I would never replace my Denon in the main room because of the ability to upscale Satellite/ DVD/ Wii/ Connnect to the internet/ use USB/ Firmwre Update/ etc. but for a secondary room? Hmmmmmm.

I'm ready to go and buy it right now but I just can't help thinking that the next model will add at least an iChips upscaler (with video processing). I have SAT TV in every room with HDTV's and I find upscaling (with video processing) a significant improvement to the overall viewing experience. Using this receiver in any of the additional rooms would produce an underwhelming image quality in many instances (except on certain HD Channels). On the other hand, I have enough of those HD channels to learn to live with periodic degradations (see, it's happening again ). I'm just trying to hold out for a press release to see what the next unit will include. If no changes are forthcoming, I'll go and buy it. It's that good.

Problem is, don't know if I will wait that much longer because my Energy's have just been sitting quietly in their box since I got them in the summer. I brought home a Marantz AV6003 at the time but for a desk or dresser in a smaller room it was just too damn big! The Denon was even worse. Thus form factor does play a role for me in this case alone. If it didn't I'd have two 4310's or the AV8003.

What an almost perfect choice the NR1501 is, I'm just one press release away from getting it. I find the Marantz 50W is just as pleasing in a regular listening environment as the Denon 130W system. Plus we're talking about a $1000 difference!

You either heed the call of the Siren and go for it, foregoing the extras, or go for a unit with the bells and whistles that you want because this unit just doesn't have them. Orrrrrr... wait for the next press release to decide, if you can
post #69 of 403 Old 11-26-2009, 04:37 AM

Synch,

What method was used to adjust the individual channel levels?
It isn't obvious to me from the manual. Maybe I've overlooked it.

All HDTVs do upscaling of lower resolution signals to 1080p (or to 720p, depending on the display). They have to do that in order to display them at all. What you're implying is that the scaler in your Denon 4310 is better than what's in your TV.

Given past history, I doubt that Marantz will release an NR1502 or equivalent before next fall. Don't forget that you can (in principle) run audio and video cables from the 4310 to the Marantz to get the features you're missing, although it'd be less convenient. There also are various ways to relay IR signals from your bedroom to where the Denon can see them.

Selden

post #70 of 403 Old 11-26-2009, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas_pig70 View Post

Honestly I leave my surround on Auto and don't mess with NEO6 or Pro Logic IIz. This means CDs are heard in luxurious 2.1 (depending on your mains). As far as not being able to hear the center channel... is it crossed over properly? You can always nudge up the output of the center channel if need be.

Thanks for the input. I think part of my problem is not really understanding what the crossover settings do, etc. I'll have to keep playing with the receiver to find out.

One thing I did find out that may be my problem is that I tried the Auto setup last night and got an error on the screen stating that either the microphone or a front speaker is not functioning. I'll haver to power down tongiht and switch speakers to see if it the speaker or recevier not working properly.

I have another quesiton for everyone.....I just bought a Samsung LN40B610 TV. Does anyone know which remote code is the right one for that TV. The list of codes in the NR1501 Manual lists like 18 codes for Samsung TV's. I have searched the web but cannot find the answer.

Thanks in advance for any input.
post #71 of 403 Old 11-26-2009, 08:47 AM

Me again.....

I'm full of questions, but hopefully i sparks some conversation. I just upgraded all of my equipment to HDMI, etc. So this is my first HD experience. Love it so far. Another question to add to my list of questions is this:
Is it normal for either a video or audio feed to not work properly? What I occasionally expereince is if I switch to DSS I might get sound but no picture or picture but no sound. I correct this by switchin gsources and then back to DSS and it works fine. The store I bought the NR1501 from said that it is a normal occurence and has to do with the "handshake" between components in the system witihn the HDMI cables. Any thoughts? If it is noral I am okay with it, but as I have had some otehr hiccups I was wondering if this is another one or not.
post #72 of 403 Old 11-26-2009, 08:54 AM

HDMI handshake problems are common but not acceptable.

HDCP is a complex protocol which is hard for the vendors to get right. Problems are often fixed by firmware updates, most often to the peripheral device (player or display), less often by firmware updates to the receiver. Getting firmware updates is often difficult and installing them can be error prone. Sometimes they result in the device turning into a "brick" and not working at all.

Selden

post #73 of 403 Old 11-26-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Synch,

All HDTVs do upscaling of lower resolution signals to 1080p (or to 720p, depending on the display). They have to do that in order to display them at all. What you're implying is that the scaler in your Denon 4310 is better than what's in your TV.

Given past history, I doubt that Marantz will release an NR1502 or equivalent before next fall. Don't forget that you can (in principle) run audio and video cables from the 4310 to the Marantz to get the features you're missing, although it'd be less convenient. There also are various ways to relay IR signals from your bedroom to where the Denon can see them.

>> What method was used to adjust the individual channel levels?

I don't remember off the top of my head, but I believe while watching a source you just push AMP then one of the directional buttons below (either the circle or the FFWD/ RWND buttons below that). Just pay attention to the NR1501 LED screen for the channel to display. It'll look like FL +15 or something like that. Then you can cycle through them all. If you don't get it, post again and I'll phone the guy and ask him.

>> All HDTVs do upscaling of lower resolution signals to 1080p (or to 720p, depending on the display). They have to do that in order to display them at all. What you're implying is that the scaler in your Denon 4310 is better than what's in your TV.

Yes I should have used the words "with video processing" and edited it in the previous post. The Plasma screen I have (G10 46") will upscale a signal to 1080p but the ABT processing in the Denon produces a more refined picture in almost every circumstance other than BluRay and certain HD SAT Signals. I believe the AV6003 and other select models use iChips to do "some" processing and was hoping that it might get included next time.

>> Given past history, I doubt that Marantz will release an NR1502 or equivalent before next fall. Don't forget that you can (in principle) run audio and video cables from the 4310 to the Marantz to get the features you're missing, although it'd be less convenient. There also are various ways to relay IR signals from your bedroom to where the Denon can see them.

It's not so much that I have to have better processing for a second room, it's just that I know I would use it all the time since in the particular instance that I'm thinking of getting this for, the SAT feed is from an HD SAT Dual Tuner PVR and the TV2 out is only a CoAx or Composite signal. Hooking up to the Denon would be ideal but a headache since so many others are in and out of the main room and switching channels all of the time. I love using TV2 because I can record and watch shows independently from the main room.

But now I have a 37" G10 LCD upstairs and TV2 out isn't pretty (except for CNN & Fox of all things + 1 or 2 HD channels). Every room other than the one I'm speaking of has its own separate SAT Tuner and take up the last 2 available feeds on the SW44 switch outside from the Dish. This limits me to the TV2 out from the Dual Tuner downstairs.

Maybe I should just buy another dish and a single HD SAT Tuner to get a better signal! What's a dish these days, $99 bucks? I could live without the processing as long as I have an HDMI input for HD Channels. At CDN $568 for the NR1501, that's already $157 off MSRP. I could buy the $150 SW44A switch and add 4 more feeds, but a separate dish comes with a 4 feed SW44 switch and I'd have a complete second package for practically the same price.

Now that I think of it, I could probably get the NR1501 for $400-$500 since there's a Black Friday sale here too to mimic the U.S. holiday. Maybe I could swing a deal for the NR1501 + an HD SAT Single Tuner DVR. Thanks for conjuring up ideas in my head Selden Ball!
post #74 of 403 Old 11-26-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:

I have another quesiton for everyone.....I just bought a Samsung LN40B610 TV. Does anyone know which remote code is the right one for that TV. The list of codes in the NR1501 Manual lists like 18 codes for Samsung TV's. I have searched the web but cannot find the answer.

i have a similar TV (samsung LN40B550) and although a couple of the remote codes worked for power, i don't think any worked for channel and volume. instead, i use a harmony universal remote to control everything.
post #75 of 403 Old 11-27-2009, 04:38 AM

Synch,

You're quite welcome.

Selden

post #76 of 403 Old 11-27-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:

Synch,

Hi,

Okay, I went back to the store & I can now get the NR1501 for CDN $500. That's a pretty good deal. I'll find a solution for video processing another way. However it has to be ordered in because the skews that are presently there include the Boston Acoustic speakers which I obviously don't want or need.

The exact method to change speaker levels on the fly is:

CH SEL
Down arrow (on the circle) to cycle through the 5 channels
Left/ Right Arrow (on the circle) to Adjust levels
Exit
post #77 of 403 Old 11-27-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:

fstevens,

No problem Brigglesworth. Hope this is a solution to your problem.

I have DTS MA and Dolby TrueHD working with my receiver and the PS3 (a first generation model). I am assuming you have a HDMI hookup from the PS3 to the receiver and HDMI from the receiver to the display. The Marantz is set up as Source Direct. On the display you should see a blue light on the left indicating Source Direct is activated. The name of your input Blu-ray if you named it that and an HDMI indicator should also be on the display.

Make sure the you setup the PS3 as follows:

Go to settings
Then to Video Settings
Next select BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) and make sure you select Linear PCM not Bitstream
You may also have to go to Settings again and go down to Sound Settings which will take you to Audio Output Settings. Make sure that is set to HDMI and not Digital Out (Optical) or Audio Input Connector.

Now when you play a blu-ray with the new sound formats you will not see the indication on the receiver but if you select the display button on the PS3 remote you will see the sound format displayed. The reason for this is that it's the PS3 doing the sound formats and just passing it through the receiver.

All this depends on if you have done the firmware updates on the PS3 because the new sound formats (Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA) were added with a firmware update a while back.

Hope this helps.
post #78 of 403 Old 11-30-2009, 05:59 AM

fstevens,

thanks alot for the advice....I'll have to try that once I get home this evening. The first time I fired up the PS3 with the new receiver it indicated that a new HDMI source had been detected and prompted me to auto set the "optimal" settings onthe PS3 to suit the source. I guess I may have overlooked the fact that "optimal" is not always "best"

Thanks again. I'll let you know how I make out. I'll ahve to check out my latest firmware update too....not sure the last time I updated. I hat updating firmware Its always a scare to me!!
post #79 of 403 Old 11-30-2009, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My NR1501 is arriving tomorrow. I'll post some pics/impressions once I get it in and setup.

- Jon
post #80 of 403 Old 11-30-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synch View Post

Hi,
Turning the volume up produced strong, clean power that was only degraded by the limits of the cubes being reached. 50W on paper would appear to be lacking something, but it's really not. The sound was definitely, rich, warm & buttery. And that my friends is what hooks you! Almost immediately you start making up excuses as to why you don't "actually" need all of the other bells & whistles that you know bigger receivers like the Denon have (even though you know you want them)!

In my case I sought out the 1501 because of it didn't have all the extra stuff I was never going to use (and does have menu over HDMI). Oddly enough I would also sum up the sound as "rich, warm & buttery".
post #81 of 403 Old 11-30-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synch View Post

Hi,

Okay, I went back to the store & I can now get the NR1501 for CDN $500. That's a pretty good deal. I'll find a solution for video processing another way. However it has to be ordered in because the skews that are presently there include the Boston Acoustic speakers which I obviously don't want or need.

The exact method to change speaker levels on the fly is:

CH SEL
Down arrow (on the circle) to cycle through the 5 channels
Left/ Right Arrow (on the circle) to Adjust levels
Exit

Sweet, thanks!
post #82 of 403 Old 12-01-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas_pig70 View Post

In my case I sought out the 1501 because of it didn't have all the extra stuff I was never going to use (and does have menu over HDMI). Oddly enough I would also sum up the sound as "rich, warm & buttery".

Hi there,

I meant you can't call up the menu right over a live video source like you can on a Denon 4310. With the Marantz, the picture & audio have to black out first while it switches over to the main menu options.

On the Denon, it overlays the main menu options right on top of the video while the audio still plays in the background - no blacking out at all. In fact on the Denon, all commands overlay on top of audio/ video. I wish the Marantz did this too. But the fact you can change speaker levels on the fly with the remote on the Marantz LED screen using the CH SEL method without blacking out the screen works for me! I don't like cutting audio/ video off in order to change some options.
post #83 of 403 Old 12-03-2009, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 392
I see that it appears that the number of people who own the NR1501 seems to be scarce . But there are a few thankfully. Mine is on the way and should be delivered today. I will pull out my old Kenwood and install this one on saturday.
I have been going through the manual that I downloaded a few days ago in order to understand and make the installation as painless as possible. This has raised a couple questions and the need for some advice.
I'm running a 5.1 setup and will be primarily using the receiver for lossless audio that I don't currently have.
My plan is to go into the setup speaker config and remove the surround back speakers first before running auto setup. I know that someone posted above that they tried running auto setup with and without Room EQ. From what i'm reading in the manual it appears that turning it on and then running auto setup would be the way to go?
Also, what are the thoughts of using HT EQ for listening? Is there any consensus as to which is better for listening to blurays?
Thanks for any thoughts and advise in any area of the setup and using the NR1501..
Gerry

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K
post #84 of 403 Old 12-03-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post

I see that it appears that the number of people who own the NR1501 seems to be scarce .

It's new.
Quote:
I'm running a 5.1 setup and will be primarily using the receiver for lossless audio that I don't currently have.
My plan is to go into the setup speaker config and remove the surround back speakers first before running auto setup.

I'm confused. 5.1 normally has surround sides (or slightly back). 7.1 normally adds surround backs (close to the center rear). Do you mean that you're reducing from 5.1 to 3.1 or from 7.1 to 5.1?

At any rate, you should run the auto-setup with all of the speakers connected. (I did decide to increase the gain of my 5.1 surround speakers by a couple of db while watching Terminator Salvation last night.)

Quote:
I know that someone posted above that they tried running auto setup with and without Room EQ. From what i'm reading in the manual it appears that turning it on and then running auto setup would be the way to go?

I think so.
Quote:
Also, what are the thoughts of using HT EQ for listening? Is there any consensus as to which is better for listening to blurays?

It depends on how the soundtracks of a particular BD were equalized. I suspect it'll be different for different discs. Personally, I've been leaving it off -- my aging ears can't hear the highest frequencies so well any more.

Selden

post #85 of 403 Old 12-03-2009, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked: 1160
Quote:

Also, what are the thoughts of using HT EQ for listening?

Cannot say in specific but, in general, if this EQ works for the major room modes, it is worth using for all media.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #86 of 403 Old 12-03-2009, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

It's new.
I'm confused. 5.1 normally has surround sides (or slightly back). 7.1 normally adds surround backs (close to the center rear). Do you mean that you're reducing from 5.1 to 3.1 or from 7.1 to 5.1?

At any rate, you should run the auto-setup with all of the speakers connected. (I did decide to increase the gain of my 5.1 surround speakers by a couple of db while watching Terminator Salvation last night.)

I think so.
It depends on how the soundtracks of a particular BD were equalized. I suspect it'll be different for different discs. Personally, I've been leaving it off -- my aging ears can't hear the highest frequencies so well any more.

Not reducing or adding- using what I have which is a 5.1 system using Paradgm system. I will not be using any "surround back" speakers. Sorry for any confusion.
Getting to know the "aging ears" problem myself!!
Selden, by the way you don't live to far from me and I go by you most every weekend in the summer .
Gerry

post #87 of 403 Old 12-03-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:

Not reducing or adding- using what I have which is a 5.1 system using Paradgm system. I will not be using any "surround back" speakers. Sorry for any confusion.
Getting to know the "aging ears" problem myself!!
Selden, by the way you don't live to far from me and I go by you most every weekend in the summer .
Gerry

The world keeps getting smaller!

Selden

post #88 of 403 Old 12-03-2009, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The world keeps getting smaller!

Yes it does keep getting smaller. I live in Apalachin and go to just the north side of Union Springs above you every weekend in the "short" summers that we have.
Gerry

post #89 of 403 Old 12-05-2009, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I've had the NR1501 for a few days now. In short, I love it. It's a ton smaller than my Onkyo 805 it's replacing. I can stash it out of the kids way with no issues. Feature wise, it's a bit less robust in features than the Onkyo, but nothing I've missed. It does pretty much everything I'm looking for which for me is just handle HDMI and sound good. All of my sources are connected via HDMI and output to my tv. The audio sounds great though I don't have a true 1:1 reference as I was using B&W 683's with the Onkyo and now using an HSU speaker system with the 1501 consisting of the front 3 plus sub for the time being. The 50 watts is plenty for those speakers. I haven't tried bit streaming anything to it yet as an original 80 gig ps3 is my current blu-ray player though I'm thinking of getting either the Marantz or Oppo player before the year is up. It does seem a bit slower than the onkyo to lock onto the video signal, but faster for the audio signal. The onkyo I used to have a slight delay when it changed processing from commercials or changing channels with my cable box, on the Marantz it's gone, but now changing from SD to HD channels is a bit slower. Nothing that I would consider difficult to live with or a deal breaker by any means.

- Jon
post #90 of 403 Old 12-06-2009, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My 1501 came on thursday but wasn't able to install it until yesterday morning. Physical installation was a bear as I knew it would be as we have two towers with a bridge across our 73" Mits . With only about 3" to the back wall I knew that the speaker connections were going to bad and they met my expectations! I suppose it would have been easier it I was about 30 years or so younger.
After getting the job done I ran the auto setup after turning off the SB speakers as I only use a 5.1 setup. I then tried a DD trueHD and a DTS master audio bluray. Very nice compared to my old optical input receiver that I removed.
Last night we watched a netflix movie: "Knowing" with Cage in it. The wife wasn't thrilled during the plane crash scene as the house was shaking. It looks like i'm going to have to go in today and adjust the center channel volume up a few notches as to bring down the remaining speakers some in volume. I believe that this would help that situation?
Now for two things that I don't like:
When pausing a movie and then restarting it took at least 3 or more seconds for the audio to come back on. Don't know if this is with all movies as I have only done one so far.
Secondly as mentioned earlier in this thread is the volume difference between the HDMI input and Optical inputs. I have my Dish HD DVR running to an optical input. I have the opposite problem of the prior poster. I have to turn up the volume for the optical and turn it down for HDMI. Would have been nice to be able to equalize the inputs as far as volume is concerned.
These are just nitpicks.
Other than that i'm really loving it so far!
Just my thoughts,
Gerry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page