UMC-1 Review pre bug fix [tech issues only: do not discuss other forums] - Page 140 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4171 of 4188 Old 03-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
raylock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post


I think your best bet is to check over at the Emotiva Lounge to see how the new FW is working out.

Bill

I left that site when it appeared they were making a concerted effort to edit or delete the negative posts. I still have the 40% discount available and would love to learn that all of the problems had been resolved.
raylock is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4172 of 4188 Old 03-02-2011, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 14,641
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked: 3637
Quote:
Originally Posted by raylock View Post

I left that site when it appeared they were making a concerted effort to edit or delete the negative posts. I still have the 40% discount available and would love to learn that all of the problems had been resolved.

I did a quick read over at the Lounge and it appears the FW update process is still an issue. I almost grabbed another UMC-1 over at the Emporium for $500.00 with the 40% voucher but just could not deal with the FW update process. Its too bad as the UMC-1 is a great sounding prepro especially at $500.00. But my 886 has been rock solid (knock on wood) with not one issue. When I had the UMC-1 I was not that lucky. I'm just glad I did not sell my 886 when I was demoing the UMC-1.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #4173 of 4188 Old 03-03-2011, 09:01 AM
DAB
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SF CA
Posts: 2,678
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I did go over to the Emo site- it took going through 5 +threads to find what was going on w/ the unit. Firmware update issues and the bickering and year old no bug fixes....
DAB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4174 of 4188 Old 03-04-2011, 03:31 AM
Senior Member
 
hikinokie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unbelieveable.
hikinokie is offline  
post #4175 of 4188 Old 03-10-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hidefpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,039
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post

I did go over to the Emo site- it took going through 5 +threads to find what was going on w/ the unit. Firmware update issues and the bickering and year old no bug fixes....

HI DAB, are you saying that the bugs are still not fixed? Is it all of the bugs originally listed or just one or two minor issues? I was over at Emotiva's site and there is a FW install video guide for those with the units.....however you seem to be saying that even with the new FW bugs still exist??!!!

I am looking at getting the XPA5 to better power my Integra 7.6 receiver with has the pre-outs..... I was also thinking of getting the UMC-1, and selling my Integra. Perhaps I should just get the XPA5.

Your thoughts or anybody else would be appreciated

Thanks

Paul

7.1.4 Home Theatre
LG 65" C8 OLED
Samsung HW-N950 7.1.4 Atmos/DTS-X System
hidefpaul is offline  
post #4176 of 4188 Old 03-10-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 22,119
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 356
^^^

keep your integra...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
post #4177 of 4188 Old 03-10-2011, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 14,641
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked: 3637
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post
HI DAB, are you saying that the bugs are still not fixed? Is it all of the bugs originally listed or just one or two minor issues? I was over at Emotiva's site and there is a FW install video guide for those with the units.....however you seem to be saying that even with the new FW bugs still exist??!!!

I am looking at getting the XPA5 to better power my Integra 7.6 receiver with has the pre-outs..... I was also thinking of getting the UMC-1, and selling my Integra. Perhaps I should just get the XPA5.

Your thoughts or anybody else would be appreciated

Thanks

Paul
Paul,

You could look over at the Emotiva Lounge to see what issues were corrected and those that were not. The biggest issue I see is the inconsistant reports of UMC-1 owners having issues doing the FW update. I had the UMC-1 when it first came out and it was frustrating at times with the issues it had.

I thought the UMC-1 would be a good replacement for my Onkyo 886. But it was not meant to be and I returned the UMC-1 to Emotiva. I still have the 886 and it has absolutely no issues at all (knock on wood). I think you would be better of with the Integra but you could always order the UMC-1 and give it a shot. If you were not happy with it you are just out your time and return shipping.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #4178 of 4188 Old 03-10-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hidefpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,039
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Thanks Bill & Chris, for your honest responses. I believe I will only be picking up the XPA-5 amp. The Integra is still a good little machine for my needs and acting only as a pre-amp will be the way I go.

Thanks

Paul

7.1.4 Home Theatre
LG 65" C8 OLED
Samsung HW-N950 7.1.4 Atmos/DTS-X System
hidefpaul is offline  
post #4179 of 4188 Old 03-10-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dropzone7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,351
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Biggest issue for me was that it converted colorspace to 4:4:4 and was doing some unwanted video processing. If it could have just passed through the video portion of my HDMI sources then I would probably still own it today. I'm still using my aging Onkyo 705 with Emo amps until I find a pre/pro that does what I want and more importantly, that I can afford.
dropzone7 is online now  
post #4180 of 4188 Old 03-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
 
moodyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think they made some fixes...but clearly there are still some bugs. IMO there are inherent HW issues that make it unstable. It seems that some units are ok while others are still having problems. I think a lot of that has to do with your connected gear and what features you use on the UMC.

If your on a budget I do think its worth a shot to see if it works for you. You can return if you don't like it. However if you can afford something else I would stay away from the UMC-1.

I find it funny that people on the EMO forum are clamoring for the XMC-1. Its like $700 wasn't enough to spend on a buggy processor so they want to spend $1,000 +
moodyman is offline  
post #4181 of 4188 Old 03-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Topend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyman View Post

I think they made some fixes...but clearly there are still some bugs. IMO there are inherent HW issues that make it unstable. It seems that some units are ok while others are still having problems. I think a lot of that has to do with your connected gear and what features you use on the UMC.

+

I agree completely with this part of your post. My UMC-1 works flawlessly in my system with the latest FW and with the previous FW. I did have the shut down issue a while back and varying degrees of HDMI lock on problems but they came and went as I did all the FW upgrades from v6 to v7.04.

I came to the conclusion a while ago that there had to be hardware issues causing so many problems for people that I just don't have.

The only way I can see that the problems can be rectified is to replace the defective units with a UMC-1 that has been fully tested prior to shipping out to the customer.

As my experience with the UMC-1 has been a good one, I am one of those that want the XMC-1. If it doesn't work than I will send it back for another. If that doesn't work then I will return it and keep my UMC-1.

I really feel for those that continue to have issues with the UMC-1. Contact Emo and insist on them to take it back for repair/replacement at their cost until it works.

Dave.

Topend

I listen to 50% HT and 50% 2 channel music.
Topend is offline  
post #4182 of 4188 Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 AM
Member
 
oh_noes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I'm a possible soon to be owner of a UMC-1. Basically I'm weighing up if I should get a V667 or V767 and run pre-outs into an XPA-5. Or, take the risk and hope in the 14 months since release the UMC-1 is pretty solid and most bugs have been ironed out.

What thing I havent found that would be nice if essentially an overview of most problems and if they have been fixed.

Unless some customers I'm okay with 'some' bugs if:
a) they plan to be fixed if critical
b) they don't affect day to day operations of it and still allow it to be functional to the wife-factor.

Thanks
oh_noes is offline  
post #4183 of 4188 Old 03-21-2011, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
alanl715's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: tejas
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
get the Integra dhc-40.2...u will not be disappointed !
alanl715 is offline  
post #4184 of 4188 Old 03-21-2011, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 14,641
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked: 3637
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_noes View Post

Hi

I'm a possible soon to be owner of a UMC-1. Basically I'm weighing up if I should get a V667 or V767 and run pre-outs into an XPA-5. Or, take the risk and hope in the 14 months since release the UMC-1 is pretty solid and most bugs have been ironed out.

What thing I havent found that would be nice if essentially an overview of most problems and if they have been fixed.

Unless some customers I'm okay with 'some' bugs if:
a) they plan to be fixed if critical
b) they don't affect day to day operations of it and still allow it to be functional to the wife-factor.

Thanks

You should visits Emotiva's forum to see if the issues presently with the UMC-1 are something you can deal with. Not everyone is reporting issues but there are still bugs especially with the FW update process. You could try the UMC-1 and if within 30 days it does not work out you can return it to Emotiva. As Alan suggested the Integra 40.2 is a good alternative without the bugs of the UMC-1.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #4185 of 4188 Old 03-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
D_Strasse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Biggest issue for me was that it converted colorspace to 4:4:4 and was doing some unwanted video processing. If it could have just passed through the video portion of my HDMI sources then I would probably still own it today. I'm still using my aging Onkyo 705 with Emo amps until I find a pre/pro that does what I want and more importantly, that I can afford.

Haven't been here (this board in a while - guess that's what happens when things are fine and no purchase is on the horizon).

Anyway, sorry to hear you're still on the hunt dropzone. My 40.1 is still plugging away though I do get some wonky remote behavior from time to time. (probably something loose from tossing it around).
D_Strasse is offline  
post #4186 of 4188 Old 03-08-2019, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
Elmo C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hmm.. after all these years.....You gotta wonder how many people are so SAD they sent their terrible UMC 1 and that % upgrade card back. ? Glad I didn't, that purchase was an all time great.
Elmo C is offline  
post #4187 of 4188 Old 03-08-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
T-Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo C View Post
Hmm.. after all these years.....You gotta wonder how many people are so SAD they sent their terrible UMC 1 and that % upgrade card back. ? Glad I didn't, that purchase was an all time great.
you should have waited until March 24th to post. This way you would have made the 8-year anniversary of when this thread had gone dead before you revived it 🙂. Kidding!

-T

Last edited by T-Bone; 03-08-2019 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Typo
T-Bone is offline  
post #4188 of 4188 Old 03-08-2019, 04:10 PM
Member
 
freeride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Still have my discount card. Sold the UMC though. Very happy with my Marantz at the moment. I still have an XPA-5 that has been working great for years.

Other subs: 2 x Turbo MFW-15's
freeride is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off