Autoflagged DRC from TrueHD, and your receiver? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-04-2010, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, thanks for taking the time to read my query. This is only for those who bitstream TrueHD to their receiver.

I'd like to know which brands of receiver can be defaulted so that the autoflagged DRC is never allowed to pass or be triggered.

I believe with the bluray players, if they are doing the actual decoding, and DRC is set to off, it remains so.

However, I don't know what it's like with receivers. My 805 requires manually defeating the DRC with TrueHD with every title. I don't know if all receivers are like this, or that mine is the rarity, or that implementation varies widely. (There is a FW update available for me, but I am on the second to last, so I highly doubt that would do anything).

This has become enough of a nuisance where I believe I would pay a significant premium just to not have to deal with this anymore. I understand that I could perhaps have everything decoded at the player, but I just wanted to know about any such possible receivers that fit the bill, as that will surely have an effect on any future upgrade decision.

IIRC, Pioneer will keep the setting? How about Denon? Marantz? Yamaha? NAD? Anthem? Emotiva? Has Onkyo/Integra changed this since my purchase?

THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-04-2010, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, at another forum, I have been informed that both the Yamaha 663 and 1800 retain the setting, so that the DRC will be "permanently" disallowed. Another poster said he will test his parents' Denon 590 later tonight.

I am particularly curious how this is implemented with the current Denon and Onkyo/Integra lineup, because I do desire the latest Audyssey suite, with DSX, for 9.1.

post #3 of 11 Old 02-04-2010, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked: 1778
If your 805 is activating DRC every time you play a disc, even though you have turned it off in the setup menu, it is not designed correctly. Would be a good idea to report it to the manufacturer, and see if they are issuing a firmware upgrade.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-04-2010, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

If your 805 is activating DRC every time you play a disc, even though you have turned it off in the setup menu, it is not designed correctly. Would be a good idea to report it to the manufacturer, and see if they are issuing a firmware upgrade.

Thank you for the input.

There is an all inclusive FW update available, but I am not sure if this particular fix would be included. I shall perhaps ask in the 805 thread specifically.

My HDMI FW is rather recent, second to last, but not the final FW. I don't know where my DSP FWs stand (there are 3 FW numbers at any given time in the unit).

The process is somewhat involved, which is why I have not yet done it. I will want a 9 pin serial port to install in my computer for the smoothest process, AFAIK.

I suppose that the current line of Onkyo/Integra must have solved this, or that my own particular unit is the rarity.

I guess then, by your implication, that I should have nothing to worry about if I buy a current pre/pro or receiver. Thanks again.

post #5 of 11 Old 02-04-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat View Post

There is an all inclusive FW update available, but I am not sure if this particular fix would be included. I shall perhaps ask in the 805 thread specifically.

That would be the best plan--as there are surely some folks there who have experienced the same, and can verify if the newer code solves it. Good luck.

Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
post #6 of 11 Old 02-04-2010, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That would be the best plan--as there are surely some folks there who have experienced the same, and can verify if the newer code solves it. Good luck.

Thank you, sir. I have learned that even the current Integra 80.1 SSP suffers the same issue. For me, this leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, since this pre/pro offers everything I desire in features, and is at the same time close to affordability for me.

I used to have a refurbed NAD as my pre/pro before going with HDMI, which now is a refurbed 805. I'd like to go back to a dedicated pre/pro, with the features (and implementation) I desire, but the best choices are not yet evident to me.

post #7 of 11 Old 02-05-2010, 02:06 AM

Quote:

Thank you, sir. I have learned that even the current Integra 80.1 SSP suffers the same issue. For me, this leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, since this pre/pro offers everything I desire in features, and is at the same time close to affordability for me.

Wow, that's odd. I'd have thought their customers would have beat them to a pulp.

Does this happen only for TrueHD, or also Dolby Digital? And not just for Iron Man (which has the DRC set wrong) but all BDs with TrueHD?

If you could point me to some posts where folks describe the problem for the Integra 80.1 or Onkyo TX-SR805, I'd like to follow up. Tnx.

Quote:
I used to have a refurbed NAD as my pre/pro before going with HDMI, which now is a refurbed 805. I'd like to go back to a dedicated pre/pro, with the features (and implementation) I desire, but the best choices are not yet evident to me.

I can tell you that I recently bought a Classe SSP-800, and thus far I reported a dozen bugs, one of which was the DRC was not able to work for TrueHD streams. The difference here is that after sending them an email, they resolved almost all of those bugs in short order.

post #8 of 11 Old 02-05-2010, 10:31 PM

Just checked it out with an Onkyo 1007 - will not keep the DRC setting for TrueHD Blu-Rays. After powering of the receiver it will retain to the default setting "auto".
post #9 of 11 Old 02-05-2010, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks, Spindizzy. It does seem that this implementation is similar for all Onkyo HDMI receivers and pre/pros, across the board. I wonder if it will remain so for the 2010 models sporting HDMI 1.4. That would be nice, but my hopes aren't very high for this.

I may soon just have this codec decoded at the player, for the convenience. I did not have this choice until recently, as my previous player could only bitstream the advanced codecs.

post #10 of 11 Old 02-06-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:

I'd like to know which brands of receiver can be defaulted so that the autoflagged DRC is never allowed to pass or be triggered.

I believe with the bluray players, if they are doing the actual decoding, and DRC is set to off, it remains so.

However, I don't know what it's like with receivers. My 805 requires manually defeating the DRC with TrueHD with every title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindizzy View Post

Just checked it out with an Onkyo 1007 - will not keep the DRC setting for TrueHD Blu-Rays. After powering of the receiver it will retain to the default setting "auto".

Let's make sure we are clear on a few things. The Auto DRC setting that these AVRs default to for TrueHD does not mean that DRC is activated. Except for Iron Man, the audio will play with DRC off.

So it would help clarify if there is really a problem or not if jostenmeat could verify if DRC is actually being applied, or is it that the display just shows Auto. In other words, are you hearing the DRC effect, and it sounds more dynamic when switched off, or not?

post #11 of 11 Old 02-06-2010, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2242 Post(s)
Liked: 3499
Quote:

Let's make sure we are clear on a few things. The Auto DRC setting that these AVRs default to for TrueHD does not mean that DRC is activated. Except for Iron Man, the audio will play with DRC off.

So it would help clarify if there is really a problem or not if jostenmeat could verify if DRC is actually being applied, or is it that the display just shows Auto. In other words, are you hearing the DRC effect, and it sounds more dynamic when switched off, or not?

Roger,

I believe your are correct on both issues. That the early releases of Iron Man defaulted to On and that the Late Night function defaults to Auto for TrueHD. Below is directly from the 886 manual.

With the Late Night function, you can reduce the
dynamic range of Dolby Digital material so that you can
still hear quiet parts even when listening at low volume
levels—ideal for watching movies late at night when you
don’t want to disturb anyone.
Notes:
• The Late Night function can be used only when the
input source is Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, or
Dolby TrueHD.
• The effect of the Late Night function depends on the
material that you are playing and the intention of the
original sound designer, and with some material there
will be little or no effect when you select the different
options.
• The Late Night function is set to “Off” when the AV
controller is set to Standby. For Dolby TrueHD
sources, it will be set to “Auto”.

I have a direct access button on my Harmony 688 so that I can quickly turn off the Late Night function on Blurays with TrueHD. I am assuming the Late Night function is off with the Auto default setting. But after watching Iron Man when it was first released and having poor dynamic range due to the Late Night being on I do not chance it anymore.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page