*Official* Denon AVR-1911/791 & AVR-2311CI/891 Owner's Thread - Page 174 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 147Likes

post #5191 of 5260 Old 01-02-2018, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 766 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23201 Post(s)
Liked: 12729
Quote:
Originally Posted by johny3 View Post
thanks
Dimmer fixed the display issue.
hard and soft reset did not fix anything.
Check out the 2016 and 2017 Denon AVR Owner's threads (post 1) and start looking for a replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5192 of 5260 Old 01-02-2018, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Check out the 2016 and 2017 Denon AVR Owner's threads (post 1) and start looking for a replacement.
that is what I figured. nearly 7 years life span not too bad for a receiver I guess. I will play around with it more tomorrow for one last attempt. ty for the advice, all
post #5193 of 5260 Old 01-04-2018, 10:45 AM

one more question. Without ARC is there a way to send the audio back from my tv via toslink into the receiver? I have it connected but cannot get it to work. Manual is not that helpful. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5194 of 5260 Old 01-04-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
one more question. Without ARC is there a way to send the audio back from my tv via toslink into the receiver? I have it connected but cannot get it to work. Manual is not that helpful. Thank you.
Yup. That's why the OPT input is labeled "TV."

Ensure the TV is set to send audio to "external speakers/Home theater".
post #5195 of 5260 Old 01-04-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:

thanks that is likely the issue, will look into it when I get home and report back.
post #5196 of 5260 Old 01-04-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
thanks that is likely the issue, will look into it when I get home and report back.
Quote:

got it to work thanks. not a bad work around while a await the avr-x3300 to go onsale, have it downstairs from earlier this year.
post #5197 of 5260 Old 01-05-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
got it to work thanks. not a bad work around while a await the avr-x3300 to go onsale, have it downstairs from earlier this year.
Huh? It's been on clearance since last July when the newer X3400H was released.
post #5198 of 5260 Old 01-17-2018, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I recently got a newer Denon (AVR-1613) that I bought used, and it got me to thinking about an issue I'm having with my AVR-1911. My 1613 is hooked up to our living room TV and using an optical cable from the TV, I'm getting Dolby Digital with no issues using videos from our home NAS device. The output sounds fantastic on my Energy Classic 5.1 speakers in the living room.

Downstairs in our theater room and using an AlienWare Alpha PC also connected to the NAS I don't get Dolby Digital on the 1911 from the same video files and instead settle for "Direct" mode. The 5.1 sounds fine, but if I'm understanding how Denon handles "direct" mode correctly I'm not getting any amp corrections while using this mode.

The kicker is that I know at one time using this same setup in the basement theater with the 1911 I would get Dolby Digital output. I'm not sure what change caused the difference. I will say that at one point I started using Media Player Classic (MPC) instead of Kodi. Could this be the problem? I got tired of fiddling with Kodi and wanted a straight up player instead. I have been through my sound settings like crazy and can't figure it out. When looking at my output device, the 1911 shows that Dolby Digital is one of the supported formats. Any insights someone can give me? I'm at my wit's end.

Thanks in advance!

Basement Home Theater: Receiver Denon AVR-2311CI, Subwoofer Bic V-1220, Front Pioneer SP-FS52, Center Pioneer SP-C22, Surround/Back Micca MB42X, Projector Epson 8350, Screen Home-made ~90" 16:9, Seats Berkline 13175, HTPC Alienware Alpha
Living Room: Receiver Denon AVR-1613, Speakers Energy Take Classic 5.1, TV 60" Sharp Aquos, Remote Logitech Harmony 700
post #5199 of 5260 Old 01-17-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert2011 View Post
I recently got a newer Denon (AVR-1613) that I bought used, and it got me to thinking about an issue I'm having with my AVR-1911. My 1613 is hooked up to our living room TV and using an optical cable from the TV, I'm getting Dolby Digital with no issues using videos from our home NAS device. The output sounds fantastic on my Energy Classic 5.1 speakers in the living room.

Downstairs in our theater room and using an AlienWare Alpha PC also connected to the NAS I don't get Dolby Digital on the 1911 from the same video files and instead settle for "Direct" mode. The 5.1 sounds fine, but if I'm understanding how Denon handles "direct" mode correctly I'm not getting any amp corrections while using this mode.

The kicker is that I know at one time using this same setup in the basement theater with the 1911 I would get Dolby Digital output. I'm not sure what change caused the difference. I will say that at one point I started using Media Player Classic (MPC) instead of Kodi. Could this be the problem? I got tired of fiddling with Kodi and wanted a straight up player instead. I have been through my sound settings like crazy and can't figure it out. When looking at my output device, the 1911 shows that Dolby Digital is one of the supported formats. Any insights someone can give me? I'm at my wit's end.

Thanks in advance!
DIRECT mode is something you select, not the AVR. What is the audio signal being received by the AVR?
post #5200 of 5260 Old 01-17-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
DIRECT mode is something you select, not the AVR. What is the audio signal being received by the AVR?
Oh, absolutely, I get that as I am selecting direct, because it seems like it's my best option at this point. Much of my video library is in stereo, and for that I'll often select Matrix mode. I guess I have to plead ignorance, but what's the best way to tell the signal my AVR is getting? I was always under the impression that if it received a Dolby Digital signal the AVR would switch to that automatically. Could my fiddling around with the AVR and selected direct messed up my AVRs ability to select DD for itself? Thank you for the response!

Basement Home Theater: Receiver Denon AVR-2311CI, Subwoofer Bic V-1220, Front Pioneer SP-FS52, Center Pioneer SP-C22, Surround/Back Micca MB42X, Projector Epson 8350, Screen Home-made ~90" 16:9, Seats Berkline 13175, HTPC Alienware Alpha
Living Room: Receiver Denon AVR-1613, Speakers Energy Take Classic 5.1, TV 60" Sharp Aquos, Remote Logitech Harmony 700
post #5201 of 5260 Old 01-17-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Oh, absolutely, I get that as I am selecting direct, because it seems like it's my best option at this point. Much of my video library is in stereo, and for that I'll often select Matrix mode. I guess I have to plead ignorance, but what's the best way to tell the signal my AVR is getting? I was always under the impression that if it received a Dolby Digital signal the AVR would switch to that automatically. Could my fiddling around with the AVR and selected direct messed up my AVRs ability to select DD for itself? Thank you for the response!
Yup. You need to select MOVIE or MUSIC and then select Dolby Digital.
post #5202 of 5260 Old 01-17-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Yup. You need to select MOVIE or MUSIC and then select Dolby Digital.
I will give it a go, and let you know how it turns out. Thank you.

post #5203 of 5260 Old 01-19-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I will give it a go, and let you know how it turns out. Thank you.
Well, this didn't work for me. When I press the "movie" button on my Logitech Harmony 700 remote nothing happens. I'm seriously thinking about doing a factory reset on it just to get the settings all to default. I have seen several Denon receivers (I have three myself), and this is the only one I've ever noticed "surround mode" buttons on, and I think that's where I got myself into trouble. Couple that with the fact that I use it mainly with my HTPC, and things are a bit more complicated.

Last edited by Robert2011; 01-19-2018 at 12:00 PM.
post #5204 of 5260 Old 01-22-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Well, this didn't work for me. When I press the "movie" button on my Logitech Harmony 700 remote nothing happens. I'm seriously thinking about doing a factory reset on it just to get the settings all to default. I have seen several Denon receivers (I have three myself), and this is the only one I've ever noticed "surround mode" buttons on, and I think that's where I got myself into trouble. Couple that with the fact that I use it mainly with my HTPC, and things are a bit more complicated.
For future searchers of this thread, a factory reset worked. I'm still not sure how I managed to muck things up, but it's working as it should now. It's amazing how much better Multi-Channel in sounds than Direct due to the settings of the receiver.
Qwantum likes this.

post #5205 of 5260 Old 03-24-2018, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5342 Post(s)
Liked: 4790
I'm trying to connect an optical cable from my receiver to my TV and having difficulty getting it to work...I have an AVR-791 and an LG C7 TV...the audio works fine as I currently have everything hooked up with HDMI cables (including my cable box)...but the reason I want to connect an optical cable is that whenever I watch an app through my TV such as Netflix, Amazon etc I need to enable the built in TV speakers to get audio...otherwise all I hear when I load Netflix is the cable TV audio

I was told that connecting an optical cable would enable me to get audio through my 5.1 speakers...I hooked up the optical cable and changed the TV audio settings to Optical but I'm still only hearing audio from my cable channel whenever I load up Netflix...do I need to confugure my receiver somehow?...I also had difficulty getting the optical plug to fit in securely...it was covered up on both my receiver and TV...the receiver plug seemed to go in but the one on my TV required some work and the protective cover seemed to break off
post #5206 of 5260 Old 03-24-2018, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Go into the settings on the Denon and make sure the optical input is assigned to TV. Go into the your tv's settings and make sure it is set to send audio out to receiver and not to use the tv's speakers. Switch the input on the Denon to TV when you are using your tv's Netflix app and the audio should come out of the Denon. You can also use ARC so sound comes back from the HDMI cable going into your tv without using an optical cable. You will have to make sure your HDMI cable is input to the HDMI port marked ARC on your LG tv. Then, you will need to turn ARC on in both the tv and the Denon. If you do this, it will make the Denon switch to the TV input just after you power it up. It can be annoying if you start to watch something else and it suddenly switches to the TV input. You will just have to switch it back to the input you were watching before it changed to the TV. Your tv remote should work the receiver volume when using ARC. I'm sure I forgot something, but try those options and see how it goes.
TitusTroy likes this.
post #5207 of 5260 Old 03-24-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre74 View Post
Go into the settings on the Denon and make sure the optical input is assigned to TV. Go into the your tv's settings and make sure it is set to send audio out to receiver and not to use the tv's speakers. Switch the input on the Denon to TV when you are using your tv's Netflix app and the audio should come out of the Denon. You can also use ARC so sound comes back from the HDMI cable going into your tv without using an optical cable. You will have to make sure your HDMI cable is input to the HDMI port marked ARC on your LG tv. Then, you will need to turn ARC on in both the tv and the Denon. If you do this, it will make the Denon switch to the TV input just after you power it up. It can be annoying if you start to watch something else and it suddenly switches to the TV input. You will just have to switch it back to the input you were watching before it changed to the TV. Your tv remote should work the receiver volume when using ARC. I'm sure I forgot something, but try those options and see how it goes.
thanks...it was indeed as simple as switching the input on my receiver to 'TV'...on a side note, these optical cable connections are very tricky to put in...there's some kind of strange plastic cover over them and it's hard to know which end to push in...the optical plug went into my Denon receiver pretty easily but the one on my TV took me a few minutes to get right...the cover/casing over the port broke off...I was worried it broke the connection itself but luckily it was just that cover that broke off...are you supposed to remove the cover before putting the plug in or are you supposed to push through the plastic piece?...any potential issues with me accidentaly tearing off that cover on my TV connection?

since the optical cable doesn't support lossless audio, is my Blu-ray player still going to give me the correct DTS-Master Audio/Dolby TrueHD even though the optical cable is plugged in?...the Blu-ray player is connected to the receiver and not the TV itself...in fact everything is connected to the receiver via HDMI (cable box, Blu-ray player, TV)...in other words is the optical connection only in effect for the 'TV' input on my receiver...when I switch to 'Cable/Sat' input or 'Blu-ray' input everything is handled like before and doesn't involve the optical cable anymore right?

Last edited by TitusTroy; 03-24-2018 at 03:25 PM.
post #5208 of 5260 Old 03-24-2018, 03:12 PM

I've broken one of those myself. If you look closely at the optical cable, it has two angled corners and goes in just one way. If it is forced, it tends to break the spring loaded cover over the port on the tv. It shouldn't harm anything. The blu-ray player will only pass lossless audio from an HDMI cable. The optical cable can pass Dolby Digital Plus so you may look in the LG tv settings to set it to pass it to the receiver if it is an option there.
post #5209 of 5260 Old 03-24-2018, 03:18 PM

I misunderstood you there. No, hooking up the TV with optical will not have an effect on the lossless audio from the blu-ray player. The tv's audio is just another device in the chain going into the receiver.
post #5210 of 5260 Old 03-24-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I've broken one of those myself. If you look closely at the optical cable, it has two angled corners and goes in just one way. If it is forced, it tends to break the spring loaded cover over the port on the tv. It shouldn't harm anything...
what is the point of the spring loaded cover?...it seems to work fine even after I broke the cover so what's the point of it?
post #5211 of 5260 Old 03-24-2018, 03:36 PM

When the tv is on, the optical connector is live and would shine a little red dot on the wall if there is no cover or cable connected to it.
post #5212 of 5260 Old 03-24-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
thanks...it was indeed as simple as switching the input on my receiver to 'TV'...on a side note, these optical cable connections are very tricky to put in...there's some kind of strange plastic cover over them and it's hard to know which end to push in...the optical plug went into my Denon receiver pretty easily but the one on my TV took me a few minutes to get right...the cover/casing over the port broke off...I was worried it broke the connection itself but luckily it was just that cover that broke off...are you supposed to remove the cover before putting the plug in or are you supposed to push through the plastic piece?...any potential issues with me accidentaly tearing off that cover on my TV connection?

since the optical cable doesn't support lossless audio, is my Blu-ray player still going to give me the correct DTS-Master Audio/Dolby TrueHD even though the optical cable is plugged in?...the Blu-ray player is connected to the receiver and not the TV itself...in fact everything is connected to the receiver via HDMI (cable box, Blu-ray player, TV)...in other words is the optical connection only in effect for the 'TV' input on my receiver...when I switch to 'Cable/Sat' input or 'Blu-ray' input everything is handled like before and doesn't involve the optical cable anymore right?
Yes, as the optical cable is only passing audio from the TV.

Quote:
I've broken one of those myself. If you look closely at the optical cable, it has two angled corners and goes in just one way. If it is forced, it tends to break the spring loaded cover over the port on the tv. It shouldn't harm anything. The blu-ray player will only pass lossless audio from an HDMI cable. The optical cable can pass Dolby Digital Plus so you may look in the LG tv settings to set it to pass it to the receiver if it is an option there.
Unfortunately, although DD+ is lossy, HDMI is required to pass it, not optical.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 03-24-2018 at 07:22 PM.
post #5213 of 5260 Old 03-24-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
No, rather only the core lossy DD or DTS audio track...
why?...I have my cable box, Blu-ray player and TV hooked up to my Denon AVR-791 via HDMI...I have the optical cable going from my receiver to my TV...when I want to watch Netflix or another one of my TV's built in apps I switch the receiver input to 'TV' and then I can get 5.1 audio through my speakers...can't I switch my receiver input to 'Blu-ray/BD' to get the same lossless audio I was getting before plugging in the optical cable since it's on a different input?
post #5214 of 5260 Old 03-24-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
why?...I have my cable box, Blu-ray player and TV hooked up to my Denon AVR-791 via HDMI...I have the optical cable going from my receiver to my TV...when I want to watch Netflix or another one of my TV's built in apps I switch the receiver input to 'TV' and then I can get 5.1 audio through my speakers...can't I switch my receiver input to 'Blu-ray/BD' to get the same lossless audio I was getting before plugging in the optical cable since it's on a different input?
Sorry, misread your post.

The optical cable is connecting the TV to the AVR so only applies to audio coming from the TV, therefore any source connected to the AVR with HDMI will be able to pass HD audio codecs if so designed to do so (eg. Blu Ray player).
post #5215 of 5260 Old 03-24-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Sorry, misread your post.

The optical cable is connecting the TV to the AVR so only applies to audio coming from the TV, therefore any source connected to the AVR with HDMI will be able to pass HD audio codecs if so designed to do so (eg. Blu Ray player).
scared me for a second there ...I thought I might have to unplug the optical cable every time I wanted to watch a Blu-ray (to get the lossless audio)
post #5216 of 5260 Old 03-25-2018, 07:29 PM

I've had the AVR-791 for years and always had it in 'Standard' Mode...but in the Denon manual for Direct it says: 'sound recorded in source is played as is'...that sounds like it should be the best mode right?...so what's the difference between Direct and Standard mode?...will Standard give me fake 5.1 from a 2 channel source?...I want the source signal to be output directly as is...meaning if I'm listening to a CD with 2 channel audio I want it output as 2 channel...what exactly is Direct Mode?

I also noticed that if I select Direct Mode it won't show the codec being used on the display (Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital, DTS etc)...it just says Direct on the display

Last edited by TitusTroy; 03-25-2018 at 08:14 PM.
post #5217 of 5260 Old 03-26-2018, 02:21 AM

Quote:
I've had the AVR-791 for years and always had it in 'Standard' Mode...but in the Denon manual for Direct it says: 'sound recorded in source is played as is'...that sounds like it should be the best mode right?...so what's the difference between Direct and Standard mode?...will Standard give me fake 5.1 from a 2 channel source?...I want the source signal to be output directly as is...meaning if I'm listening to a CD with 2 channel audio I want it output as 2 channel...what exactly is Direct Mode?

I also noticed that if I select Direct Mode it won't show the codec being used on the display (Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital, DTS etc)...it just says Direct on the display
DIRECT disables Audyssey and bass management, which is why it is rarely ever used.
morphinapg likes this.
post #5218 of 5260 Old 03-26-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
DIRECT disables Audyssey and bass management, which is why it is rarely ever used.
the way they word it in the manual makes it seem like the best option...strange
post #5219 of 5260 Old 03-26-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
the way they word it in the manual makes it seem like the best option...strange
For only a very small minority who don't prefer to use Audyssey perhaps.
post #5220 of 5260 Old 03-26-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
For only a very small minority who don't prefer to use Audyssey perhaps.
you seem like a guy who knows a lot about receivers, do you happen to know a good 4K receiver that is on par with my current AVR-791...meaning great price/performance ratio...I don't need the most expensive highest end receiver...I bought an LG C7 4K OLED back in July and was in no hurry to upgrade the rest of my home theater equipment (I'm still using the Denon AVR-791 and 1080p Blu-ray player)...so all I'm looking for in a receiver is 4K capability, support for all the HDR formats along with Atmos and the latest audio codecs...will HDMI 2.1 receivers be available in 2018 and is it better to wait for those?...if I had to choose a decent one now what would be your recommendation (doesn't have to be Denon)

Last edited by TitusTroy; 03-26-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1911 Receiver , Denon Avr 2311ci Receiver , Denon Avr 791 Receiver , Denon Avr 891 Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page